Page 24 of 56 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: *synth* I WORKOUT

I guess the Garmin one is fine. I have a Vivofit 2, but it's just easier to wear my Fenix3 most of the time. Either the FruitCo option or a Garmin with wrist HRM sensor should be fine.

Nathan and I both have Garmins and love them.

Just ran a half marathon before work ... will be an interesting day today

I will be attempting my first-ever race this Summar, the Limberlost Challenge 7km.

https://thelimberlostchallenge.com/course-description/

I have a feeling I'm going to die. I like trailrunning but I've never done it competitively.

Any suggestions on working my way up cardio-wise? Just spent a whole winter weight training with only occasional snow-shoeing and dog walks. I was thinking of doing something like a Couch-2-5k to work my way up. I don't want to stop the gym work either, though.

Finish any weight session with 20-30 minutes of cardio. When doing the cardio do intervals between a couple of paces, one where you can just recover and one that you can't sustain, that will push up your 'baseline' pace. Then make sure once or twice a week you do ~45 minutes of cardio to build up your endurance.

Runners world has a program called smart coach. It mixes cardio workouts with sprints, endurance, and off days. It's free if you are looking for a schedule.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Sooo...venturing into this thread.

I have 3 months before I can see my fiancee again (She's in the Philippines) and she's pushing me to lose weight and get stronger. I've accepted the challenge.

I want to do mostly weightlifting and cardio. I've also changed my diet, eating lots of chicken, peanut butter, vegetables, vitamins, etc.

Anyway, I've also been watching training videos on youtube and found a killer move that's super basic and only requires one thing: Kettlebell Swings.

I have a 15 pound kettlebell and tried about 10 of these and I felt absolutely destroyed after....meaning two things: I'm really out of shape and this move is insane!

For the few weeks prior I'd been lifting weights and doing light cardio, but this really kicked my @$$

I plan to do this 3 days a week and slowly build up more reps and more weight. Apparently most people get up to 35 pound kettlebells or more and do about 70 reps...saying it's one of the best cardio PLUS muscle building you can do.

Kettlebell Swings are one of the true fundamentals, if you don't have full gym access. In my previous program, I used it as a warmup, 40 lbs with three sets of 20.

Just make sure you're really, really focusing on your form. It's a hinge action, no different from a deadlift. If you don't get the hinge action, you don't get glute and hamstring activation, which means all you're doing is a sloppy cardio workout.

But worth it, once you get the hang of it.

If you're looking to drop weight, count calories. Because weight loss for almost everyone happens in the kitchen, not in the gym. Peanut butter is really high in calories . It has some good fuel in it, but it's going to be an alarming amount of calories if you're counting.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    Kettlebell Swings are one of the true fundamentals, if you don't have full gym access. In my previous program, I used it as a warmup, 40 lbs with three sets of 20.

Just make sure you're really, really focusing on your form. It's a hinge action, no different from a deadlift. If you don't get the hinge action, you don't get glute and hamstring activation, which means all you're doing is a sloppy cardio workout.

But worth it, once you get the hang of it.
    Yes, I'm making sure I have the form done correctly...it can be tricky at first