Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Autonomous Vehicles (new job ?)

Current story seams the woman may have stepped out in front of the vehicle.

:/

Doesn't matter, media outrage machine (or at least headlines) have already gotten their adclicks

Only matters if you don't correct those mis-informed.

Release video showed multiple fuck ups.

Vehicle's LiDAR should've picked up the pedestrian even in no light conditions.
    Safety driver also wasn't paying attention until moments before the impact.
    Pedestrian didn't just step out, but really shouldn't have j-walked in such low light conditions assuming drivers can see her.

In all honesty, even if I were fully alert and in control, I'm not sure if I could avoid hitting that woman. I'd probably brake a bit more(the uber car did not decelerate at all), and perhaps I'd swerve a bit... and hopefully won't lose control and kill myself...

Anyway, this incident is the perfect storm for uber I guess.

Under normal traffic rules, I understand that if I hit a pedestrian in the US, no matter what, it's my fault.

I guess uber could get out of this by blaming it on volvo and the driver who's not paying attention...

Administrator
    Keep in mind too that the video looks darker than it really was. I am familiar with this road, it's not that dark. If any attempt at all had been made to slow down, the person may well still have been hit by the hit would be less likely to be fatal.

There was a big kerfuffle when CA kept going after Uber for testing their autonomous cars on the streets without any oversight, and after the CA DMV revoked the registrations of Uber's cars when they kept neglecting to comply with the regulations, the AZ governor welcomed Uber with open arms, telling them they could test there all they wanted.

Now someone's dead. If the person had been in a crosswalk, do we think the outcome would have been any different?

Video looked very bad to me. I think human eye would have seen the pedestrian much earlier and I can’t understand why the lidar didn’t.

That's the thing... both LiDAR and driver were not paying attention for one reason or another.

The pedestrian also wasn't paying attention.

Multiple failures resulted in this tragedy.

Wonder what will Uber/Volvo tell us about what the car saw with its LiDAR.

If they conceded that their LiDAR saw nothing or they're not sure why their LiDAR saw nothing, then it's time to shut them down or at least stop them from testing on public roads.

Unless they know what went wrong and have a solution for the fix, it'd be crazy to allow them to continue.

Anyway, maybe Skynet is slowly becoming self aware. Just recently, another guy was killed in the movie theater by the automatic lounge chair. http://www.newsweek.com/man-dies-fre...ccident-853827

Machines are beginning to see what they can get away with...

Administrator
    To the point of the Uber video looking *much* darker than it really is, here's video from the same section of road, the point of the incident is at about 33 seconds in.

Digital photos/videos often do not truly reflect reality..., to me some of them can appear amazingly bright and clear at night while others can appear super dark and fuzzy lacking sufficient contrast... Safe to say that we can't really rely on them to give us true representation of reality.

We know the driver just wasn't paying attention. So how bright or dark it was doesn't matter there.

We also know the LiDAR didn't see her..., so assuming it was bright enough for the camera as it is shown above, computer still failed to see it with regular camera.

The system is suppose to help us avoid situations just like this one, but it failed for some reason. It'll be nice if they provide us with more info with regard to exactly what the computer saw... or why it failed to see the pedestrian.

Administrator
    They may still be trying to figure that out, as it's entirely possible that the LIDAR system saw nothing, so there's nothing to show. I just want to kill off that whole idea that "she came out of nowhere" and that there was no way a human driver doing what they were supposed to be doing could be expected to have done any better. This was a failure mostly on Uber's/Volvo's part, including a failure it seems to do an adequate job of choosing and policing the drivers that are supposed to be the backup system in case this exact situation happened.