Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: 2020 eff yeah

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    2020 was good in some ways....school shootings were WAY down, Betty White is still alive....um....don't know what else

You are alive....you weren't involved in a major trauma...

I can go on.

for me it's bee fine, I just feel bad for others...so I'm doing my part by donating to causes etc.

2020 eff off

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    2020 was good in some ways....school shootings were WAY down, Betty White is still alive....um....don't know what else
    On paper 2020 was great for my household. Ash beat cancer (again), I graduated from law school, passed the bar, opened my law firm. I took a new position at my day job that resulted in 80% work from home. Sold our city house and moved into our country house that was already paid for so I have no mortgage, and that house is also much closer to my family. Lack of commute allowed me to buy my daily driver V10 M6. Got to do a lot of track days because it's easy to safely social distance outside.

Circumstances allowed me to thrive in 2020. And I'm not the only one, spending trends show that most people used the tools (mortgage forbearance, student loan deferment) to get their finances in order. The majority of stimulus checks are spent on debt and savings, not goods.

The bottom of the socioeconomic ladder got pummeled but the majority of Americans came out ahead if they leveraged the tools made available.

Not gloating, just sharing because it's a little difficult to reconcile having a good year as a household and also seeing other people struggling. The type of law that I practice is targeted towards helping people struggling with debt so I hope to help in that way.

Good on ya Nate.

I managed to slip through the cracks and had a tough year financially and emotionally. I filed for unemployment (gig worker pandemic assistance actually) in early April and haven't heard a peep back, and I haven't been able to get through in any way. I did get a small handful of 1 or 2 day jobs since summer, once I and we as a society figured out how to minimize risk with what we've been dealing with. Survival without major asset liquidation has been the name of the game. With flying off the table I've only been able to see my gf twice since covid started, and it's no surprise that our relationship is struggling with that much distance and our mutual economic realities (she had just quit her job before covid, has done tons of interviews since then for work-at-home positions in her field but never gets hired).

The good news/bad news is I'm healthy enough (good) that I'll be among the last allowed to get the vaccine (bad, because I'll be stuck at home for ages still).

This virus has accelerated pretty much everything. The rich got richer and the poor got poorer. I think my household is neither rich nor poor so we managed the accelerate along the same average path.

It is mind boggling to me that stock market was able to gain like 16% last year... shows how our current stock market is really disconnected with actual reality... or at least not representative of our entire reality.

Politically too. Right goes further right, left goes further left.

Socially, we were already antisocial enough and online too much, but now this virus pushes us further into that direction...

Hope things will get better this year...

We seem to be on the other side of the same coin, Bryan. I even got to see your gf once this year without even trying. Hope 2021 turns up for you both, reach out if you you want to talk through anything, legal or otherwise.

Billi - sorry about your family woes, I hope all gets well soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Ash beat cancer (again)
    I was meaning to ask about that. Glad to hear.

2020 wasn’t the greatest, but not the worst for me. The obvious bad things in the public conscience were Covid and all the celebrity deaths (starting with Kobe). We avoided Covid and some other good things happened. We added a family member (dog) and business was more or less steady. Had to tap into some government handouts (which I didn’t want to do) and it helped.

Just waiting for this Covid mess to slowly go away so things can eventually go back to the way they used to be. I’m hoping by the end of the summer.