Page 74 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

Dude, Nova Launcher and get rid of any OEM launcher UI (Google one included). Icons, drawer structure and notification system.
    EDIT: there should be an option in Samsung phones with Oreo to get rid of the white rounding frame around icons, mind.

Microsoft Launcher for life.

Administrator
    I tried doing that "sync your Android phone with Windows 10!", having no idea that it wasn't just going to do something like sync contacts, but instead be like "Hey, I'm also going to completely take over your phone and swap out your launcher and background and sound themes and everything else, is that cool?"

I don't think I've uninstalled anything faster than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I tried doing that "sync your Android phone with Windows 10!", having no idea that it wasn't just going to do something like sync contacts, but instead be like "Hey, I'm also going to completely take over your phone and swap out your launcher and background and sound themes and everything else, is that cool?"

I don't think I've uninstalled anything faster than that.
    I didn't have the time to try this... now I'm grateful I didn't. Brrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    EDIT: there should be an option in Samsung phones with Oreo to get rid of the white rounding frame around icons, mind.
    Yeah there is, but it doesn't work on Google brand apps now for some reason. Maybe Google just changed all their icons.

So after a bit more time with Oreo on the S8+, some more minuses.

-Battery life seems quite a bit worse. I have been using a bit more this week than the last few, so I'm not positive, but I think it's not good.
    -The automatic Wifi on/off with oft used networks feature Samsung had, google now has, and doesn't seem to work quite as well.

A bit coincidental, but I switched messaging apps from the Samsung default to google's. It's better, but I just realized that all my previous outgoing texts are not shown. Anyway know a way around this? In conversations, I see the other people replies all the way back to the beginning, but my side of the conversations is gone up until the point I switched. On the plus side, all messages are now showing up through my car's headunit, instead of just a few contacts'.

And another thing. I've been taking my phone out of the case sometimes, and it reminded me of how great the form factor is on this phone. So thin, and so little bezel. Just looks amazing. A bit delicate to hold that way though.

The reason I've been taking it out is kinda funny, kinda scary. I recently took a cue from a coworker, and put my RFID card to get into work in between my phone and the case. Fits without any problem, can't even tell it's there. But one night, I heard this weird sound. Kind of a fast clicking. Sounded a bit like electricity. Like a reeeaaly quiet taser. It was coming from my phone on the wireless charger, which is on my end table right next to my ear when I sleep. I'd never heard it before. Then it clicked, and I remembered the card was in there. Took it out of the case and no sound.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; March 28th, 2018 at 08:59 PM.

So, I finally did get a Galaxy S9+. This thing is blistering fast. And full of thousands of gimmicks I did have to deactivate since I'm not going to use them.
    So Bixby, Edge extras, Always On display, VoLTE, Edge Light Notifications got the axe.
    Display is gorgeous BUT... the edges make so that it feels less direct to watch things on it... I dunno, like watching an acquarium; I don't know if I managed to explain myself right.

4G+ or LTE-A is amazing. I tried speedtesting it: my home fiber (a 100mb) usually is around 78-90. My phone LTE goes around 130!
    Fotocamera is great, video too, dimension-wise is a bit too much for me but I didn't get the plain S9 (which would have fitted me perfectly) because of worse battery and only 4GB of ram instead of 6GB. Meh.
    Sound is nice, it gets great when Dolby Atmos is activated.
    Quick charge is wonderful.

I considered getting a Huawei P20 Pro, especially for the camera, but two factors, really important to me, made me choose otherwise:
    1) no MicroSD storage - the P20 Pro has only 128gb of internal storage and albeit that is plenty for people it is not for me; case in point I've 64gb + 64gb microSD in my S9+ and I've already almost saturated the whole space.
    2) no headphone jack - I'm sorry but I loathe the dongle life and I prefer using wired headphones, since often, when travelling, I'm watching video or listening music while charging my phone with powerbank: on the P20 Pro I could have not done that; unless I would use BT earphones - which I do have - but that would be another device to worry to charge everytime. Also the AKG earphones included in the S9+ box are great and do sound way better than my BT ones.
    [3) I bloody hate the notch]

The P20 Pro would have costed me 99 euro less, but I would have been glad to pay those 99 euro to get MicroSD and headphone jack in the Huawei device. Too bad Huawei.
    It would have been a device with a slight edge in low light photography, general photography and better battery. And also, a point rarely talked by anyone, really, Huawei, as Honor, are capable of doing OTG with NTFS devices, not only FAT32 and eXFat like Samsung and other OEMs.
    I live in Europe, we laugh at US government blockage of Huawei brand, since here it is a brand of value and respected by customers, also they are the brand you can see everywhere, on par, if not more, with Samsung and Apple... fuck that protectionist bullshit.
    Last edited by Blerpa; April 17th, 2018 at 04:21 AM.

Congrats on your S9+!

Quote Originally Posted by Blerpa View Post
    I considered getting a Huawei P20 Pro, especially for the camera, but two factors, really important to me, made me choose otherwise:
    1) no MicroSD storage - the P20 Pro has only 128gb of internal storage and albeit that is plenty for people it is not for me; case in point I've 64gb + 64gb microSD in my S9+ and I've already almost saturated the whole space.
    2) no headphone jack - I'm sorry but I loathe the dongle life and I prefer using wired headphones, since often, when travelling, I'm watching video or listening music while charging my phone with powerbank: on the P20 Pro I could have not done that; unless I would use BT earphones - which I do have - but that would be another device to worry to charge everytime. Also the AKG earphones included in the S9+ box are great and do sound way better than my BT ones
    I have been thinking about the P20 too, but there are issues.

- No MicroSD - there is conflicting information. Some places say Yes. Some say No. It's unclear, but I don't want to buy it and find out if it's No.
    - No Headphone Jack - I agree, although this is not the end of the world for me.
    - Proprietary quick charging system - All of the quick chargers I have are Qualcomm. This feature is essential.

I live in Europe, we laugh at US government blockage of Huawei brand, since here it is a brand of value and respected by customers, also they are the brand you can see everywhere, on par, if not more, with Samsung and Apple... fuck that protectionist bullshit.
    Well, I live in China and data security concerns are the main obstacle to my buying the P20.

I may need to upgrade soon. I keep running out of internal storage. Other than that. I think I may be at peak cell phone need for quite some time. The incremental changes are not that useful anymore, for me to need a new one very often. I'm still getting 2+ years out of my current one. With more storage, I could easily push it to 3-4 years.

I'm trying to get to the point where all three of our devices are paid off before I do anything. I hardly ever use my phone except as a nav unit in the car so with any luck that thing will last into the 2020s.