Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Nissan will build small RWD car based on IDx Concept

Quote Originally Posted by IMOA View Post
    It puts the '86/FRS/BRZ's should be $5000 cheaper' comments in perspective
    Those people are on drugs.

Besides, the FR-Z86 will be $5000 cheaper--if you buy a used one next year.
    Whoomah!

Well, "should be" is very different from "could be."

I still stay Nissan should build their small truck out of it. Zedcamino, Ain't nothing wrong with a light duty unibody truck in these times - improved safety and fuel economy at the possible expense of some load carrying that nobody will ever care about anyway. Hell, build the Xterra on it too. If Jeep can have a credible unibody compact SUV, no reason Nissan can't.

Mostly, I just want the idx.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Well, "should be" is very different from "could be."
    Yeah, I believe therein lies the issue of whether these types of cars are viable products in today's market. One could argue that the lack of competition and pent up demand justify the premium on the Toybarus enough, as their sales of "enough" are showing (it's not a failure, it's covering it's costs, but it's not driving them to put more into developing the line, from what has been said).

And that is with two companies sharing the development and marketing load.

As for the small pickup on a shared platform, I'm going to go crazy and say that the potential for an IDx now relies on the success of the Chevy Colorado.

One more thing: I like the concept version of the Nismo IDx, but it's very likely that it could go boring or just plain wrong on the transition to production, it doesn't have the relatively easy sell of "sleek sports car styling."
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Yeah, I believe therein lies the issue of whether these types of cars are viable products in today's market. One could argue that the lack of competition and pent up demand justify the premium on the Toybarus enough, as their sales of "enough" are showing (it's not a failure, it's covering it's costs, but it's not driving them to put more into developing the line, from what has been said).
    I still stand by my original comment that the GT86 will be a one generation car - at least as we know it. MkII will weigh 3500lbs or be FWD or come with a hairdryer or something. I just don't buy into the long-term market outlook. Once the pent up demand has been sated, who are your customers?

And, yeah, all of that completely applies to the IDx as well. However, I think one of the IDx's potential saving graces might be its lack of sleek, sports car styling. It might appeal more to parents buying their kids a first car ("No sports cars, Timmy!") or people who need a more conventionally formatted car. The potential fuel economy of a 1.6l+CVT might slot in better as a fun commuter vs. a sports car. It could be positioned as a viable alternative to any other FWD econoboxes. I dunno. Just guesses. But it's no surprise the IDx can't exist in a vacuum - so bring on the ID CaminoXand and IDerokeeX. Come on Nissan, I've flat out given you the answer - what's the holdup?

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    It could be positioned as a viable alternative to any other FWD econoboxes.
    Not a chance in hell they get the price down enough to do that.

And yeah, keep the Toybarus around with only minor refreshes until some major safety/emissions/whatever legislation change comes across that the car can't hit, and then move on. The last of the F-Body cars (I don't think the new Camaros have that designation) were in that mode, the only reason their production ended was something about the plants lease, the development and tooling had long been paid for so they didn't need to hit a number.
    Get that weak shit off my track

You don't think so? Civic, Focus and Cruze are solidly in the mid 20s when fully optioned. I think most of those cars are. I thought the IDx was supposed to be right in there.

I never appreciated how incremental the development of the f-body was until I saw someone bolt a 4th gen interior into a 3rd gen. "Pretty much just goes in." Crazy.

Is that "pretty much goes in" like "bone stock (except for headers, a cam, bored out TB, and a 50-shot)?" Or actually "pretty much goes in" like "I didn't need a grinder!")
    Whoomah!

Light modification and obviously wiring, but pretty much goes in - nothing more than hand tools required. Seats bolt in. Center console bolts in. The cabins are *really* similar.

Neat!
    Whoomah!

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    And yeah, keep the Toybarus around with only minor refreshes until some major safety/emissions/whatever legislation change comes across that the car can't hit, and then move on. The last of the F-Body cars (I don't think the new Camaros have that designation) were in that mode, the only reason their production ended was something about the plants lease, the development and tooling had long been paid for so they didn't need to hit a number.
    Not even the Miata gets away with that. No way these cars live in their current form for more than five years.