Page 381 of 503 FirstFirst ... 281331371379380381382383391431481 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,810 of 5023

Thread: What are you watching?

Administrator
    Important news: What We Do In The Shadows returns Sept 2nd.

I rewatched Spice World, because sometimes I just need to watch a terrible movie, with a remarkable collection of actual actors appearing in it.

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    Watched Conjuring: Devil Made Me Do It. Decent horror movie, without the horror. The first two were definitely better.
    I watched it Friday night and was totally underwhelmed, bruv. It didn't suck, it just existed.

For sure, bruv. It just wasn’t scary at all. That part sucked.

Anyway, I’m doing my annual traditional MCU binge watch. On phase 1 right now. Trying to recapture the magic.

Loki episode 1. Holy shit it’s so good.

Spoiler:
    No doubt in my mind that the time villain is Doctor Doom. This should set up a Doom-Loki partnership, which has been done many times in the comics to perfection, and in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance video game. They could even throw Kang the Conquerer into the mix.

If there’s one guy that could top Thanos as the ultimate top tier MCU villain, it’s Doom. The MCU future is looking so exciting!

Agreed

Finally saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Enjoyed it.

Still scratching my head about...

Spoiler:
    how Barnes can look roughly the same age as Rogers even though he was up and walking around for the last fifty years while Rogers was frozen for most of that time

...but I'm more than willing to suspend my disbelief and continue to enjoy Marvel movies with my kids.

I'm slowly closing in on Infinity War. I saw Endgame in the theatre (my first MCU movie, I think) when it came out but am trying to get through all the individual movies that lead up the the war. I've missed a lot of the infinity stone lore and whatever else has been said and shown about Thanos and his people.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Finally saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Enjoyed it.

Still scratching my head about...

Spoiler:
    how Barnes can look roughly the same age as Rogers even though he was up and walking around for the last fifty years while Rogers was frozen for most of that time

...but I'm more than willing to suspend my disbelief and continue to enjoy Marvel movies with my kids.

I'm slowly closing in on Infinity War. I saw Endgame in the theatre (my first MCU movie, I think) when it came out but am trying to get through all the individual movies that lead up the the war. I've missed a lot of the infinity stone lore and whatever else has been said and shown about Thanos and his people.
    Not sure we need the spoiler tag for an 8-year-old movie that almost everyone has seen, but what the hell.

Spoiler:
    Bucky was also on ice for a long period of time.

God dammit Sandy…

Spoiler:
    But someone said he had been working as an assassin for the last fifty years. Again, no big deal, but it made me wonder, especially after seeing someone's appearance near the very end of Endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy
    Not sure we need the spoiler tag for an 8-year-old movie that almost everyone has seen, but what the hell.
    At this forum, almost certainly not.

But outside of this tight-knit community, I tend to avoid movie discussions online because people will post spoilers about movies that aren't very old at all with an attitude of "well, it's your fault if you haven't seen it yet." It's the same in-your-face confrontational style that seems to have taken over our society in recent years. It's as if people go out into the world with the intention of being a complete jerk and hope someone calls them on it so they can unleash some rage on the person who was in the right to begin with.

But anyway, here's a not-very-serious rant about spoilers:

I really like old movies, but I don't have nearly the free time and motivation to see them that I used to. I have a list as long as my arm of movies I intend to see but haven't yet. My wife is a Turner Classic Movie enthusiast and routinely chides me for not having seen so many classics. The other evening she had To Kill A Mockingbird on and I went elsewhere in the house, since I really want to see it but don't want to jump in halfway through. And that's just one of more than I can count.

Many of the movies I still hope to see someday are older than I am. I don't think the age of a movie matters when it comes to spoilers. Of course, I recognize life isn't fair and we take our chances online, and so I'm more tolerant of stumbling into something I didn't want to know online, as compared with years ago when loud-mouthed jerks would ruin movies for others in person.

The first time I remember realizing that I really hated spoilers (and wanted to punch a known asshole right in the nose [he was a salesman; need I say more?]) was when a co-worker and I had this exchange a few years ago. And speaking of assholes, I was a salesman too at that time.

This contains a spoiler about a movie that is 21 years old. I hope I haven't told this before. I don't think I have because I'm still holding a grudge against the guy who trespassed against me, even though I haven't seen him in as many years.

Him: "What did you do this weekend?"

Me: "I saw [some new movie]."

Him: "I went to the movies also. I saw
    Spoiler:
    A Perfect Storm".

Me: "Oh, great cast in that one. I'm looking forward to seeing that one myself. In fact, I saw a trailer for that movie in the theatre this weekend. It looked very good. Can't wait to see it!"

Him: "Yeah, I couldn't believe that
    Spoiler:
    everyone died."

I didn't react much but I was furious inside. And I've still never seen that movie. Apparently everyone (except me) knew what the movie was about, but I did not. I guess it made at least the local news at the time - if not national news (before a movie was made about it), but I didn't have a clue. Maybe I was like the one person on the planet who didn't know how Titanic ends before they saw it. I've never seen that one either; why bother?

It happened again with a movie starring and directed by
    Spoiler:
    Clint Eastwood
    that I hadn't seen yet, when some fool mentioned the ending in a too-loud voice. Great. That's another one I won't see, and I grew up watching his movies on TV and in theatres. His latest, at the time, looked like it would be a tour de force of his style, too.

Oh, well...at least I got to see The Planet Of The Apes one day on Saturday afternoon TV when I was a teenager and blissfully unaware of the ending. That movie was probably fifteen years old at the time, but it was new to me. Soylent Green was another. If I sit here longer, I'll think of more like those that still "worked" as the movie makers intended, even many years later.

And that is why I don't like spoilers.

Writing about movies that spoilers can easily ruin made me think of Bruce Willis, and that brings me to another movie I caught on TV this weekend just as it was starting: Death Wish. I was surprised to see they had remade the 1974 classic and I must say they did a great job. Forget about the sequels, of course, but the original Death Wish was pretty good. It has that in common with the Rambo movies. Anyway, I thought the newer version starring Bruce Willis was very good and better than the original, unless you're looking for that 1974-era style of long sideburns and wide ties and huge cars. I enjoyed it the new one very much, despite the commercial breaks that increased in frequency and duration throughout.

And, just for fun, here's how sartorial style for "bad guys" have changed from Bronson to Willis:

Spoiler:
    1974: Navy watch cap

2018: Hoodie
    Last edited by George; June 14th, 2021 at 12:56 PM.