Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What no NSX thread?

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBenior View Post
    Agreed, though what qualifies as "oh shit" power varies by the era. "light, compact, RWD, pure" car without 'oh shit' power equals the kind of sports car represented by the Miata and base Boxster/Cayman these days, as even the Boxster/Cayman S run high 12s.
    86 Twins also fit that description

It was supposed to be "with plenty of power but not 'oh shit!' power."

Kinda like the original NSX

Meant to edit a post, but then accidentally deleted it. Basically the gist of it was that the NSX was seriously quick when it came out in 1990.

It's easy to forget that we're spoiled with accessible performance in these days of hot hatches that are a reflash away from running 13 second quarter miles, and base model pony cars that run 13s.

During the 80s Malaise Era in which the NSX was conceived, the original target Ferrari 328 couldn't get into the 13s. The revised target of the 348 barely got into the 13s. The mid-to-high 13s that the NSX ran were quicker than either. Remember, V8 pony cars ran high 14s back then, the M3 could maybe do that on a very good day, and most family sedans ran 17s or 18s (a 2.5L V6 V20 Camry might do low 16s, and that was shockingly quick compared to most sedans).

Now, that didn't last long, as the F355 came out a couple years later and was breaking into the high 12s, but for a brief period, Honda sold a car that was faster, cheaper, and of course, more reliable than a comparable Ferrari.

Mid-to-high 13's? Maybe the later ones did but doing a Google search for a '91 NSX comes back with 14.2 sec quarter mile times.

EDIT: Ah, found a scan from a 1990 C&D comparison -- 13.8 @ 102 mph.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by novicius; December 8th, 2015 at 09:13 AM.

That commentary on the ZR1 is pretty funny.

This car is a rolling embarrassment to America until you stand on the gas.

It's kind of amusing that by the time I'm done with plans for my FiST, I'll be at a similar power to weight ratio as a 1991... sports/super/eroticar Not sure if that's impressive or not hahaha

I sure think it is... especially when you chance upon one on the highway.

Junior Potato
    Reminds me of those absurd Top Gear tests/challenges, where they'd set a fast lap at a circuit using The Stig in a modern hot hatch, and try to get their Italian supercars from the 70s/80s to match the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    It's kind of amusing that by the time I'm done with plans for my FiST, I'll be at a similar power to weight ratio as a 1991... sports/super/eroticar Not sure if that's impressive or not hahaha
    Are you going to post pics of your FiST eroticar when complete?

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar