Page 33 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we not have an Android phone thread yet?

Administrator
    Weird issue with Android that hit my wife's phone. Checking storage said she had 300 megs of 52 gigs free, but the breakdown of data only added up to about 20 gigs used. Mounted it over MTP, which sucks since you can't use WinDirStat or something similar on it. Did a nice binary search to find the offending item, which (from memory, so maybe not exact), /Android/data/com.android.google.gm/cache/*. In there were a ton of IMAP cache files taking up a whopping 31.2 gigs. com.android.google.gm is Gmail. Checking Gmail in the apps list claimed it had like 100 megs in the cache, and clearing cache from there did no good. Ended up deleting them from Windows and it doesn't appear to have hurt anything, just freed up over half of her storage.

Just throwing it out there in case anyone else suddenly finds they're struggling for space when it seems like they should be barely using any.

Interesting. My wife's HTC One M8 was low on storage for reasons I couldn't figure out.

I guess we could've tried this, but she's already got her clearance Moto X Pure 64GB customized to her liking.

Administrator
    Then figure I should mention my wife's phone is a Moto X Pure 64GB.

Guys, do like me: install Clean Master or some other app that clean the cache.
    I do *daily* clean about 1.20-1.70GB of crap from my Sony Experia Z3 Compact smartphone, with Android Marshmallow 6.0.
    Android efficient OS my arse.

I use ccleaner, per Keith's recommendation. I didn't even realize it was available. I use it on my PC too.

Administrator
    I'd be curious if Clean Master would have found this. Android itself didn't seem to realize it was there as part of the phone's cached data. The Storage settings page couldn't account for all the missing space, and the app that was supposed to own it didn't know it existed. They were just sorta abandoned files lying around.

I'd almost be nervous if it did find that, because I can't say I'd be thrilled that an app would just start deleting files when it doesn't know what they are.

Current scuttlebutt: HTC's 5" Nexus's specs have leaked; Google wants to ship a Pixel-like self-designed, self-branded and self-manufactured phone this year.

That makes me picture the following being announced this fall: HTC Nexus 5_ as the low-cost phone, Google Pixel 6 as the premium phone, Google Pixel 10 as the update to the Pixel C tablet and the Google Pixel 13 as the new Chromebook Pixel. They could all share a name, design and the ability to run Android apps.

But, of course, these are internet-enhanced rumors for things that nerds would excitedly discuss and share (like I just did), so I'm not convinced of their veracity.
    Get that weak shit off my track

My latest purchases were true to my ongoing spirit of frugality. So, the old Atrix I was using primarily as a backup GPS started die-ing; looks like 1 of 2 CPUs may have gone faulty, so everything is taking ages to get done. Paradoxically, but logically, trying to do something else sometimes kicks things along. Amazingly, in that state it did record a medium bicycle ride apparently reasonably accuratately. The thing is, my wife is quite attached to her identical model.

So I went to my source to see if they had any more, hopefully at a reasonable price. They didn't though they said they could order them. But I spotted a MOTO E for $89CDN. I bought one, and it has seemed pretty good. There's something wrong with the timezone data and the clock, so I need to keep the time set manually, but then GPS performance rivals my Galaxy S4, with apparently less battery consumption.

It is Lollipop, with an in-your-face Marshmallow upgrade available.

I went back the next day to buy one for my wife and a spare. So I did the Marshmallow upgrade on my wife's and currently there's a show-stopper for me in that I haven't found a working command-line ssh. (The busybox I had been using seems to have shared-library/symbol-resolution errors).

Oh well, so I need to frequently back out of the offered upgrade for now. But I've recorded several rides using a couple of GPS loggers, and they seem to work well, although I haven't needed them since the Strava app on my main phone (the Galaxy S4) had worked on all rides. (Actually I recorded a couple of car rides first, and those recordings worked better than any car rides I ever recall recording on any phone, inside a mailing-envelope, inside my pseudo-Tilley-vest breast pocket (and inside the car, of course)).

I mostly use Mendhak GPS Logger, but rediscovered Ear to Ear Oak GPX Logger which (now?) has the feature of a built-in satellite grapher.

I was also happy to discover that Pocket Trains also works on Moto E. I think perhaps its problem (unfortunately stopped) on my Galaxy S4 is specific to the Samsung user interface.

I did have a little problem getting Spartacus Rex Terminal IDE to work on the Moto E too; it seems like that app will no longer work with the stock keyboard? (so you need to switch to its own).

I should also mention that attempts to use a Acer Liquid Z4 as backup GPS produced abysmal results with the same GPS software; too few satellites, too much error. (For a while I did my rides with three smartphones which I was checking out that possibility.

Oh yes. In the Moto E, the non-replaceable battery is somehing I'd druther not have, but at the price it's a reasonable compromise.

Yeah, I guess that Rolodex activity finder is pretty neat.
    Last edited by SportWagon; July 10th, 2016 at 01:09 PM.

So I got a new battery for my Note 4 that was randomly having huge battery drain issues. It just wouldn't last a whole day anymore. I got an Anker replacement that still have teh NFC antanna, even though I never use NFC, but at least it's OEM like. Anyway, HUGE improvement. No shutting off, no big drains, and even normal battery life is much improved. Best of all, it seems to perform better, with less hanging and lagging. Biggest surprise is how much better power saving mode is. Before I never used it because it didn't seem to help at all with battery life. Now I can get a whole day only draining about 30-40% depending on usage. So happily this will last me until at least the new Nexus is announced and I can decide on Google-Fi+Nexus or Note 7 and stick with AT&T.

If the next big Nexus has water resistance and expandable memory, I'll be all over it.

It is highly unlikely that any Nexus phone will have expandable memory. They want you to use Google Drive.