Page 25 of 58 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight Sims

Administrator
    I did watch that one and it gave me a better idea than I had, for sure. I wasn't for the life of me able to figure out how to add a waypoint with the G1000 in the 172 though, I fiddled with that thing for a while and never quite got it. 'Course, part of what I might have screwed up is I think that Montgomery field only has one ILS approach on 28R and I managed to ask to land on runway 5 from the set up screen. Maybe I'll just have to try it in that plane first and actually get the IFR flight plan set up somewhat right before the flight.

It was kinda fun chugging ever so slowly up to 11000 feet, the rate of climb getting slower and slower until I was doing about 250-300fpm, and right as I hit 11, ATC tells me to go to 12.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; October 14th, 2020 at 03:34 PM.

Ugh, another flight, another complete disaster on approach.

Caravan San Diego to LAX. Try to enter the approach, starts goin gin cirlces. Clear the approach and try to enter manual, crash.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with it. And frankly Asobo. This is like early beta type stuff.

Administrator
    I finally just figured out how to add waypoints to the route from the flight planning screen. I still haven't figured out if you can re-order waypoints and accidentally created a flight that took off from Austin, flew to AT&T stadium outside of Dallas, back to COTA, then to DFW, so now I know to enter the waypoints in the opposite order of when you want to arrive at them.

Also had a fun flight from Cancun past Chichen Itza and then down to Belize. Couldn't see Chichen Itza at all, but the stormy weather that kept visibility at zero was pretty cool. Finally saw the rain streaking across the windshield effect, and had turbulence so strong at one point that you could hear the airframe groan.

Finally tried to do a trip to Machu Picchu. I knew the altitude was a little much for the 172, so I took a Beechcraft Baron instead. It is much harder to turn around in those canyons than I expected with that plane, I'm sorta amazed I managed to make the flight in one piece.

How does COTA look in game?
    Get that weak shit off my track

Administrator
    Not too bad. Should have taken a screen shot. All the painted markings around the track are there, and the general track shape looks spot on. The satellite imagery appears to be just before the track opened - I don't see any grandstands at all, and there's a big construction trailer where the T12 bleachers should be. Also, it's got the issue that a lot of non-hand-modeled places have where it's trying to guess at ground levels/altitudes, so the straight from T11 to T12 is remarkably hilly looking. I'll do another flight over there soon (and some other tracks now that I know how to navigate to arbitrary latitude/longitude coordinates) and grab a screenshot.

Speaking of, I really wish they'd fix the active pause - that or let us do an inactive pause but still see what's going on instead of popping up the menu immediately.

Administrator
    I put together an album here: https://imgur.com/a/vR7cBZW One fun thing is that the tower isn't there, it's just a small building, but next to the building you can see the image of the tower projected on the ground.

Here's one image from it:

Note the fun with active pause. I was doing about 90kts when I paused, I'm now just about to start going into overspeed, all while sitting still.

So cool Would be neat if they figured out what were racetracks and had race cars driving on them 24/7.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Administrator
    Finally messed around with one of the smaller jets, the CJ4. Surprisingly had no real issues with the autopilot other than it was really aggressive about climbing when I'd ask it to, immediately lunging for like 5000fpm. While it's entirely possible that I don't know what I'm doing with the jet, it did seem like fuel usage was pretty off. I started with the standard 50% load in Seattle and according to the map that should have been enough to make it at least to Chicago, but I was down to about 20% halfway across Idaho. At least you can just refuel mid-flight.

Junior Potato
    Arrrrrrrgh this game is so good. So detailed.

Administrator
    I've been to Geiranger, it is pretty spectacular, and also known for Trollveien road as you descend from the mountains just to the north of Geiranger. That said, FS2020 seems to *really* struggle with the terrain in Norway, and you can see it in the video. A bunch of the lakes appear to be up on pedestals, almost like mesa with lakes on them. Mountains have weird bottomless pits all over them and look like the surface of the moon. I'm sure it'll be fixed, but Norway appears to be one of those places the AI just can't figure out from the maps data.

That video sure made me miss traveling though. We wanted to go to Copenhagen soon, here's hoping someday we'll be able to again.