Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: SLM's photographic, artistic conundrum/crisis

Ah, I misunderstood. Yeah, that's cool then.

I'm drunk and I'm looking through my entire available history of photos (why do I only have back to 2013? wtf). I feel that there may have been a period of time where I was sufficiently skilled at using a camera where I was taking really good photos but not

I just realized that I'm not going to be able to properly convey what I'm really trying to say here. crap. I'm just going to hit reply now.

I think really what I'm trying to say is that December 30, 2015 was one of the greatest days I've ever lived and I'm just so glad that I have photos to remember it by.

Dec.jpg

As I look through my old photos, and realize what shit they were, I realize that all of the things that are now second nature to me, is the shutter speed fast enough for the focal length, is the ISO ok, is the fstop set to make the photo look how you want it to look, were before things that I was more or less completely clueless about. So, I begin to realize that the things I now take for granted, the things I discount as not really being a skill because they seem so apparent to me now, really are a skill, because I had no clue about them before, and my photos show it.

(Stepping up from a kit lens to a 24-70 2.8 and 50 1.4 din't hurt either, but I digress.)

Dude, I have really been digging the photos you have been posting recently, here and FB. Lots of human interest. I think the framing of your photos could still improve, however. Try to avoid cutting off feet and keep in mind the rule of thirds.

I know you were struggling at first, but I think you made it. Keep up the great work!

I have around 55,000 photos saved right now. For the sake of argument, let's say 90% of those are bad photos, not worth doing anything with. If it takes around 5 minutes a photo to pick out the good ones and edit/crop them to look their best, that's 458 hours of work to edit 10% of those. 458 hours is equivalent to 11 weeks of working a full time job. I continue to take thousands of photos each month.

This is not a hobby or an interest, it's a compulsion.

That is what produces the best art, my man. Keep it up.

I've come to a tentative conclusion that formal portrait photography is a sham, and you can never elicit true emotions from someone on command.

Which is one of the reasons excellent models and actors/actresses get paid so much.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Just because you do not like it, does not mean it is an illegitimate art form. Kch is right, good actors can make you believe they are feeling emotions.

SLM, you are still hung up on gear. You have boasted in other threads about your awesome lenses and how much they cost. When is it going to get through to you that it is not the tools that make the art? (Rhetorical question.)