Page 98 of 139 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuda's Cars, v2.0

Ah.

It always frustrating when something was installed in the factory and the angle of a clamp is almost impossible to reach because of it. I usually put things back together for ease of removal later if possible.

I think the lines in question are best replaced from behind, when the transmission and/or engine are out of the car.

I ended up just replacing the one line I could get off. Which, fortunately, was the one with a tiny leak under pressure.

Put everything back together and the car ran better for sure. Still not 100%. I'm now thinking fuel filter, or boost overcoming spark under the heaviest load. Or something.

I need to get going on my own projects so the finishing touches were put on the Supra and I drove it back to the owner yesterday. She was shocked to see how clean it was. I told her I was going to clean it up a little bit but I didn't let on too much about my level of OCD when it comes to detailing. She asked a few questions which was a good opportunity to educate her on proper washing procedures and such. Hopefully it'll stay looking good for a while.

She and her friend will continue to work on it to find that last niggling issue holding it back at full throttle. I'm sure they'll find it - they're both engineers.

Next up: putting the stock exhaust on the blue Z to please the state. I got pulled by an officer who didn't understand the noises MT cars make when accelerating (he thought I was accelerating hard and backing off, in an exhibition of speed) and I was cited for the loud exhaust and not quite letter-of-the-law headers and relocated cats. I agree the exhaust on that car is kindof annoying at times. It came on the silver Z and has only gotten louder over time. Anyway, I'll take this time to also replace the timing chain galley gasket which appears to be starting to go. It's some crazy amount of labor to get to the $10 gasket, but it's kindof important for oil pressure so there ya go. That car is just getting into the mileage range where they fail. 'Tis the one real flaw of the VQ35HR. I think the Infinitis don't have an actual oil pressure gauge so I imagine they go until the oil pressure gets low enough to throw a warning light or a code or something.

Once that's done and signed-off by the state ref I can sell the car, prep the silver Z for sale, and start looking for a G35 sedan or a Twin. Strange cars to be cross-shopping, I know! They are two very different flavors of the direction I want to go, which is "easy button and slightly more practical." I ought to test drive them on the street if I can find them at CarMax or something. The FR-S/BRZ are finally coming down into a range where I can consider them. Plus I've been driving HWY9 (Californians know this one) almost daily the last couple weeks, which is an environment the Toyobaru is made for.

A couple quick photos of the Supra in its finished glory.

Hip.

Hwy 9 is an ok road...

Whoomah!

Shiny!

Wow!! Amazing work, Cuda!

If Adam was still hanging out here he would have spotted the HiJet first thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Hwy 9 is an ok road...

Given the number of blind turns, narrow sections and cyclists (nothing wrong with cyclists), it's not as fun as it could be. But still fun. It's gotten really bumpy in spots, too, which really tests the suspension. The magic dampers on the blue Z, even with its low stiff springs, handle these whumps better than the stock suspension in the silver car. I want pimpy Koni magic on all my cars from now on...

Stunning.

I only drove the Santa Cruz end of 9 in a work truck, so the presence or absence of other traffic didn't affect things much.
    Whoomah!

Supra owner has replaced the other 5 coil packs and reports the car now runs as it should, for the first time in years.

Now I know what boost overcoming spark feels like. *files away in memory*