Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3DS owners unite!

Junior Potato
    Yeah it might be how the next Zelda game is built, being open world and all.

Junior Potato
    Look what I dug out of my boxes of shit that I haven't opened since moving house in 2009.

I opened it up and hit the power button, and sure enough like any good Nintendo product, she fired up right away. The clock is off by a few minutes, but you can't really knock it for that after all this time. The clock was set by me when I bought it on launch day back in 1973. It even has a full battery charge! It's in perfect condition.

Remember the nub? You strap this around your thumb and use it to control your characters via the touch screen. It was novel for its time, but I always thought it was a shit way to play games like Mario 64 DS. Trust me that game is way better on the 3DS with the analogue stick.

Also found in my boxes of nostalgia (underneath a very dusty Nintendo 64) was this thing, which I think was carved from pure granite by prehistoric Japanese mobile device engineers. Note the assorted samples of snot and jizz on its pristine white facade. And again, I put in a set of AAs and it turned on right away.

I also bought that on launch day. Of all of the Nintendo handheld designs ever made, I still think that the GameBoy Advance is the coolest looking thing by a mile. I just wish now that I bought the purple one instead of the white one, to match the GameCube when it came out. And hell, it's only real drawback was the lack of backlighting for the screen. If they included that from the start, this thing would have been the best handheld ever made. What an utter disappointment, one feature to spoil such a great console. The GBA SP rectified this, but it never had the same design flair that the original GBA carried with such ease. It was pure Nintendo 90s design awesomeness. I wish I bought a GBA Micro, those were cool, too.

Junior Potato
    I picked up Super Mario 3D Land yesterday. That game is utter genius. I can only assume it's Wii U counterpart is equally as good.

I've heard the two games being described as a cross between Super Mario 64 and New Super Mario Bros, which is pretty close to the mark, but you know what it reminds me of the most? Has anyone seen those little bonus stages that were littered across Super Mario Sunshine? I think there was one per level that was hidden away in some corner, and it gave access to one of the level's shine sprites.

3D Land reminds me of those stages because they were a very stripped back classic Mario experience. No FLUDD device, no NPCs, no signs, no fields or buildings or extra scenery. Just Mario and the platforms and the goombas. Pure platforming.

The new game captures that all over again, and revamps it for today. Well, five years ago's vision of what today was back then. Please excuse me for being a little bit behind the times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    I picked up Super Mario 3D Land yesterday. That game is utter genius. I can only assume it's Wii U counterpart is equally as good.
    Yep, it is. Except with 4-player co-op available. Hectic and tons of fun.

3D Land reminds me of those stages because they were a very stripped back classic Mario experience. No FLUDD device, no NPCs, no signs, no fields or buildings or extra scenery. Just Mario and the platforms and the goombas. Pure platforming.
    Yeah, I can definitely see that. In the Wii U version you get the different suits that can change things up, especially the cat suit. Climbing walls and having a melee attack is pretty different for a Mario game.
    Get that weak shit off my track

http://kotaku.com/metroid-prime-fede...iew-1785489769

Metroid Prime Federation Force is, however, a smartly-designed strategic first-person shooter that is very fun to play, especially with multiple teammates. It is, believe it or not, Nintendo’s answer to a Destiny raid or to the best missions of co-op games such as Left 4 Dead or Gears of War. It’s not as technical and tactical as the most hardcore versions of the military games Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six but it is a game for people who like discussing loadouts and outlining tactics with their co-op gaming partners before diving into a mission together.
    -----------------
    The missions are wildly varied and almost all good. There are base infiltrations and boss battles, simple early layouts that encourage teammates to clear out rooms together or attack massive enemies from opposite sides. There are missions where you hold your ground and missions where you are constantly on the move.
    I hope they're practicing and getting their chops ready for a full-on console game with these qualities

Summary of announcements from today's 3DS Nintendo Direct: https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/co...irect_summary/

Junior Potato
    Mario Maker for 3DS: YEEEEESSSSSS!

Here's the whole direct if you wanna watch it.

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-dir...video-1ndirect

Junior Potato
    Super Mario 3D Land.

I finished the main story quite comfortably with over 100 lives in the bank. I thought I had finished the game, but noooo. There are special stages afterwards that were obviously the demented brainchildren of the most fucked up minds in the Nintendo EAD team of the day.

I'm up to the 6th world of the 8 available worlds in the special levels, and each world has 6-8 stages within. In an afternoon I was down to 45-50 lives left, after having completed about 3 of the worlds. A week later I have 11 lives left. Never have I sworn and stomped and said 'fuck-shit-fuck!' so frequently in my life. Some of the levels look like they should be easy, but all they do is suck the life out of you. Then you pass the level that has been providing so much frustration, and the next three go by pretty easily until you get to another really hard one. UGH!

Fuck those cunts who design levels like this. Fuck them to hell.

But bless them too because I am having too much fun.

Great game

I had the same experience with Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U. I was playing with a couple friends, so we got to experience it together