Page 1339 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 3398391239128913291337133813391340134113491389143918392339 ... LastLast
Results 13,381 to 13,390 of 24776

Thread: Politics

Fair enough from that perspective.

WP posted the article to ask Bernie, hey, what’s up with that?

However, my perspective is that WP’s article could mislead readers into believing Sanders is indeed a hypocritical jackass!

Anyway, so do you believe he’s a hypocritical jackass?

Administrator
    I don't necessarily. I think it means that he either is a hypocrite or that he's not keeping tabs enough on his campaign. Ultimately one of the biggest flaws for Trump, IMHO, is that the buck stops anywhere but here. Not reading his rebuttal in USA Today would lead me to think that he's not avoiding the buck, but that he may not be at all aware of what's happening in his name. Reading his rebuttal I think that he wasn't aware, wants to fix it, and should probably double his efforts to manage this whole campaign as, ultimately, the entire thing leads back to him. It's undoubtedly a problem that he didn't apparently know this was happening (or at least says he didn't know). I also wouldn't give Jeff Bezos any credit if he claimed he had no idea that people in his distribution centers were being overworked.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; July 19th, 2019 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't necessarily. I think it means that he either is a hypocrite or that he's not keeping tabs enough on his campaign. Ultimately one of the biggest flaws for Trump, IMHO, is that the buck stops anywhere but here. Not reading his rebuttal in USA Today would lead me to think that he's not avoiding the buck, but that he may not be at all aware of what's happening in his name. Reading his rebuttal I think that he wasn't aware, wants to fix it, and should probably double his efforts to manage this whole campaign as, ultimately, the entire thing leads back to him. It's undoubtedly a problem that he didn't apparently know this was happening (or at least says he didn't know). I also wouldn't give Jeff Bezos any credit if he claimed he had no idea that people in his distribution centers were being overworked.
    Neither of these is a good look for him.

Sure, he's not going to know the nuts and bolts of the everyday stuff going on the campaign. There's a campaign manager to take care of that and office managers at each office to deal with that before that. And that's fair; but if it's been brought to his attention and he's leaving it to his subordinates to handle it, to me it means he doesn't have integrity. Why shout from the rooftops about "the working class" and "they deserve a living wage," when you're not going to make sure that your own campaign reflects your values.
    If it's only just been brought to his attention he should immediately fix it; ... for his integrity.

I don't doubt his integrity. I do doubt his administrative abilities though. My only worry for Sanders if he becomes president is that he'll be another Carter. Super nice dude, but just couldn't run the country very well because he's not on top of the people below him, or simply lacking people skills.

This kind of incident is not new. It happened back in 2016, which is why he decided to unionize his staff, promise to pay even interns $20/hr. Yet, not sure how this kind of thing can happen again.

I can't believe he's a hypocrite. My guess is either he's really ineffectively incompetent at managing people or perhaps somebody infiltrated his campaign just to frame him. Of course I'm leaning toward the later. Time will tell.

3rd option I can think of is the campaign manager is being a real pragmatist, knowing they don’t have sufficient funds to support $20/hr interns. So the ‘negotiation’ was their attempt to find a good compromise between ideal and reality... but I suppose this option still kinda falls under the ineffective/incompetent option... and it’s rather pointless to offer people promises you can’t deliver... like free healthcare and college education... if their campaign is really struggling with payroll, I hope Bernie can now be more sympathetic for Jeff Bezos...

Hope we can get a more transparent reporting of this issue later...

My hope is for media to report more facts and provide less room for us to speculate.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; July 19th, 2019 at 09:08 PM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    My hope is for media to report more facts and provide less room for us to speculate.
    That feels like an unreasonable request. As far as I can tell, they reported the facts as they knew them, and of course different sides feel differently. What other facts would you expect them to provide? Or, maybe more importantly, what would you consider the factual threshold to be between reporting something and not reporting something?

(Aside: I know we normally [spoiler] him, but this felt like a reasonable conversation and I chose not to. If that bothers anyone, I'll go back and edit my posts)
    Last edited by Tom Servo; July 19th, 2019 at 09:33 PM.

If somebody is accusing somebody else of something, we should try to get stories from each side... or at least indicate that you tried to reach the other side but the other side has no comment or something...

Shouldn’t be like covering a high speed chase or natural disaster... just present people this live feed as we go along...

We bring to you this high speed chase live and the driver may not even be aware of the fact he’s being chased by cops!

Anyway, that’s just me.

Administrator
    I understand the idea that not getting comment directly from Sanders isn't great, but given that this is about his campaign and the campaign itself issued a statement feels like that's essentially the same thing. If his campaign spokespeople are saying things without his knowledge, that is...not great.

So we have plenty of room to speculate with this kind of reporting right?

I’ve never studied journalism so for sure I don’t know what I’m talking about. But if media wants to shed it image of fake news, they really need to up their game.

Administrator
    I have no idea how you got that out of what I said. He has specific people who speak for the campaign - spokespeople. People he hired to. specifically. speak. as. the. campaign. They made a statement.

Yes, I'd rather have a statement directly from Sanders (that, if he had been willing to give, I 100% guarantee that the Post would have tripped over themselves to put online), but if he didn't give that statement, he *chose* to let his campaign to speak for itself via its spokespeople, who are hired by him to do that job.

Again, I don't know what you expect. If an official just refuses to comment, the media shouldn't report on anything they do?

Spoiler:
    I don't doubt his integrity.
    I do doubt his administrative abilities though.
    Spoiler:
    My only worry for Sanders if he becomes president is that he'll be another Carter. Super nice dude, but just couldn't run the country very well because he's not on top of the people below him, or simply lacking people skills.

This kind of incident is not new. It happened back in 2016, which is why he decided to unionize his staff, promise to pay even interns $20/hr. Yet, not sure how this kind of thing can happen again.

I can't believe he's a hypocrite. My guess is either he's really ineffectively incompetent at managing people or perhaps somebody infiltrated his campaign just to frame him. Of course I'm leaning toward the later. Time will tell.

3rd option I can think of is the campaign manager is being a real pragmatist, knowing they don’t have sufficient funds to support $20/hr interns. So the ‘negotiation’ was their attempt to find a good compromise between ideal and reality... but I suppose this option still kinda falls under the ineffective/incompetent option... and it’s rather pointless to offer people promises you can’t deliver... like free healthcare and college education... if their campaign is really struggling with payroll, I hope Bernie can now be more sympathetic for Jeff Bezos...

Hope we can get a more transparent reporting of this issue later...

And yet you think/ thought he should be President?!?! Like i said, you stay saying stupid shit.

I stopped reading after that line, because I really can't. I can't.