PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Stuff

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

dodint
August 3rd, 2022, 09:59 AM
Sounds like something Tyler would ask.

CudaMan
August 4th, 2022, 09:35 AM
Maybe a little crazy. :) It can't be as easy as swapping the dash and moving the wheel and pedals over. Is the firewall different? Wiring harness? Even the shape of the frunk pan could be different (for room for things like ABS module, PS reservoir or even the steering shaft, etc).

Probably easier to Gen4-swap an NA chassis, no? That's probably legal in FL.

XHawkeye
August 4th, 2022, 04:17 PM
https://twitter.com/TheFigen/status/1554865683900649476 <--- Open for video

MR2 Fan
August 4th, 2022, 04:33 PM
Maybe a little crazy. :) It can't be as easy as swapping the dash and moving the wheel and pedals over. Is the firewall different? Wiring harness? Even the shape of the frunk pan could be different (for room for things like ABS module, PS reservoir or even the steering shaft, etc).

Probably easier to Gen4-swap an NA chassis, no? That's probably legal in FL.

good questions. It's just something silly I thought of.

Godson
August 6th, 2022, 08:10 PM
Would not recommend...

XHawkeye
August 11th, 2022, 04:01 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZWGnR3WYAASXyQ.jpg

One of my Facebook friends just bought a Lancia Scorpion and this was in the documents This was probably the worst ever decision to trade in ever for another car. (https://twitter.com/thealso/status/1555297257808924673)

Yw-slayer
August 11th, 2022, 06:21 PM
Unless the original was totalled to pure scrap? Otherwise, yes.

XHawkeye
August 15th, 2022, 03:25 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0Xh_8qX0AQBYbi.jpg:large

Leipzig Germany 1990

XHawkeye
August 16th, 2022, 03:26 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FaKQKzVXgAEykRz.jpg

MR2 Fan
August 16th, 2022, 06:37 PM
"this was no boating accident".......wait, maybe it was

XHawkeye
August 23rd, 2022, 05:56 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fag7ZwQXgAA4WM5.png:large

XHawkeye
August 23rd, 2022, 05:57 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Faj6uxEX0Ac0VOC.jpg

Dicknose
August 23rd, 2022, 08:59 PM
Wow - having to build that into every intersection!

Although a series of satellites (Gps) transmitting a signal to you, a networking connection (mobile data) and a distributed series of servers storing maps and calculating routes (google maps) does seem like a bigger task. But that does scale well!

dodint
August 24th, 2022, 05:00 AM
Reminds me of the old notion that autonomous cars would require sensors/reflectors to be embedded in the roadway for the cars to process their lateral limits.

Phil_SS
August 24th, 2022, 07:31 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fag7ZwQXgAA4WM5.png:large

$20,000 = ~$183,000

$7869 = ~$72,000

$4530 = ~$41,400

These cars were not cheap in their day. When they were cheap was the mid 70's after the first gas crisis. That's when you could see cars like this for stupidly cheap. Like when my parents bought a 1968 Shelby GT350 for $1000 in 1978, which is equivalent to ~$4500.

Sad, little man
August 24th, 2022, 09:42 AM
This video was pretty eye-opening. The Rivian loses 27% of its battery charge just being left to sit for two weeks. That is ridiculous! That is just sloppy engineering. Seems like they just went carte blanche with allowing systems to drain the battery when the vehicle was off because the battery is so much bigger than a vehicle with an ICE engine.

The guy calculated that the Rivian is, on average, using about 100W at all times when it's off. That's insane. That's basically like saying everyone who owns a Rivian is basically leaving 10 LED light bulbs on in their house 24/7 from the moment they buy the truck. They really need to do better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw6a1XP6WeY

XHawkeye
August 24th, 2022, 03:00 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FarEnYgWIAAmJfI.jpg

The shot...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FarEj_uWQAAC9O9.jpg

...and the chaser.

TheBenior
August 27th, 2022, 07:58 AM
$20,000 = ~$183,000

$7869 = ~$72,000

$4530 = ~$41,400

These cars were not cheap in their day. When they were cheap was the mid 70's after the first gas crisis. That's when you could see cars like this for stupidly cheap. Like when my parents bought a 1968 Shelby GT350 for $1000 in 1978, which is equivalent to ~$4500.

I tell people basically the same thing about the 1990s Japanese sports/performance cars. A 1994 Supra Turbo started at $40,250, or $76k adjusted for inflation. It was better than a C4 Corvette in a lot of ways, but it also cost $4k more than said Corvette. Even Miatas weren't really 'cheap,' if you compare them to other compact cars. Unless you bought them in super stripped out form (no, AC, power steering, etc) early on, they were basically the price of a well-equipped Accord.

neanderthal
August 27th, 2022, 11:41 AM
I'm trying to see how California is going all electric on new cars by 2035 when they don't generate a lot of their own power.

It's going to require a huge shift in how quickly charging locations are built, and updated. Solar panels on almost every roof, and a Tesla Megapack (container full of batteries) on every block. An interconnected but very decentralised electrical grid. This ... won't begin well, nevermind end well.
I don't think the charging infrastructure is there, and knowing how slow the permitting/ build process is there, yikes.

i think they were on the right track in requiring commercial trucks to be electrified. Sure, not every one man trucking company can afford a new Tesla Semi or Daimler/ Freightliner eCascadia, but a lot of those semi trucks doing short haul in the docks and cities are the worst offenders. School buses, delivery vehicles, trash trucks, Uber/ Lyft/ taxis etc, I think that's where they should have concentrated their legislation. Vehicles that are basically driving all day. The commuter driving twice a day isn't adding much pollution to the equation vs the Lyft driver driving all over town, the UPS driver driving all over town, etc. 2034 will be a bumper year for car dealers in California; they're going to sell every single thing they have.

Dicknose
August 27th, 2022, 04:25 PM
The commuter is also not requiring a full charge each day!
The all day vehicles can suffer from not getting a day out of a charge. They will probably need a quick charge that can add maybe 20% in a couple of minutes, quick boost back at the depot to keep them going.

dodint
August 27th, 2022, 04:32 PM
I am excited for when all this 'free' electricity causes home electric bills to skyrocket. Another fun way for non-car owning urban folks to subsidize rural lifestyle.

neanderthal
August 27th, 2022, 05:18 PM
The commuter is also not requiring a full charge each day!
The all day vehicles can suffer from not getting a day out of a charge. They will probably need a quick charge that can add maybe 20% in a couple of minutes, quick boost back at the depot to keep them going.

The problem is the American public is not going to buy a Smart electric car (or anything equally small.)

I feel like Honda could have revolutionised the electric car market by releasing that cute lil electric car, but I have no idea what happened to it.

Right now electric cars are considered the realm of the rich. That paradigm has to shift, the mindset has to be realigned with a reality where VW Polo sized cars are available with electric power for the average user.
That said, there is a metric fuckton of Tesla model 3s in the north Dallas area I live; McKinney, Plano, Frisco, Allen, Prosper, Celina, Princeton. Same for the other Tesla cars. Sure, there are other electric cars (I was riding next to a Mercedes EQS 450 an hour ago on northbound I75. It's not very pretty.) but Tesla was smart in being first one out the gate to mainstream electric cars. The fanboys really fangirl. Even when you mention their defects and shortcomings.

It'll be interesting to see who is next to go mainstream.

Dicknose
August 27th, 2022, 06:07 PM
Kia/Hyundai is moving over. So are some other brands - certainly Porsche in the sports cars. The Taycan is seen as a classier competitor to the Model S. The SUV are going hybrid and electric. They are planning on an electric Cayman/Boxster. That will be a big bold move, to see if that segment wants electric.
A few of the Euros are getting there.

Seems odd that the Japanese are lagging more than Korea and Europe. Sure Prius set an early standard but Toyota has been slow moving from there.

Interesting times!

Yw-slayer
August 29th, 2022, 07:26 AM
I saw a few of the Honda electric cars in London. The place is rife with grey/black Kia Niro EVs as they have now replaced the Prius as the favourite of Uber drivers.

Blerpa
August 29th, 2022, 10:08 AM
It must be something to do with your market: in Italy, and I suppose in whole continental Europe and UK, every single manufacturer has at least one, if not two, full electric models in sale.
It's like if you don't offer an electric model you are not up to the times and irrilevant.
Plenty of Niro, Leaf, the new electric Fiat 500 and so on here.

Dicknose
August 29th, 2022, 03:15 PM
Yeah and Mini...
But its the "more than just 1 model" that is important, companies that are actually making a significant move.

Its hard in Australia, we still have people who say they need to do a 600km a day road trip. In reality that's probably less than 5% of people and most would be 2 car households, so they could easily go with an urban electric and keep a ICE or hybrid for those other trips.
But having said that, I probably do fall close to that - I often do a 500km trip and Im not a "stop for lunch" person, I like to just drive and get it done with a quick piss stop. In the car its usually a single refuel, even if its so I dont have a low tank at the end of the trip. On the bike its a 2 stop (plus possibly a fuel before and after - 4 refuels in a day). Now a EV with 500km range would do me, almost. Im not sure Id be happy with range anxiety, wouldn't want to run out at either end. The Sydney end would have me on a limited access freeway, the other end is remote with 50km between the last few towns. So Id probably want a quick recharge, even if its 10 mins and 10%. But here is the thing - finding a recharger that is working and available, not with other cars parked for an hour. I dont want to stop for an hour, I dont want to have to hunt around. And that's were the infrastructure is a pain right now, there is enough that bean counters go "job done" but in practice they are not useful a lot of the time.

Oh well...
Still keen on a Kia EV6, want a GT but not sure I should spend that much money on another go fast vehicle.

neanderthal
August 29th, 2022, 08:18 PM
We're starting to see the Kia and Hyundai EVs up here as well but Teslas overwhelm the EV scene.

I too am one of those long distance people. Mum lives 1000 miles away in Phoenix. That's 18- 19 hours of interstate. I usually drive/ ride because I have people to see there in Aridzona or beyond in Los Angeles. Right now i'm plotting, again, a Dallas- Phoenix- 4 Corners- Las Vegas- Los Angeles- San Francisco- Portland- Seattle, and back trip. I did one on 2019 right before I went back to work.
But, having done that last time i'm pondering an Alabama- Florida- Georgia- Illadelphia- New York- Massachusetts- Hamilton, Canada version. Then race back to Dallas to resume grinding.

Electric car would take too long with all the charging. The bike would be less comfortable than a car, but in the west I can lane split on the bike, so if I go west i'm likely touring on the Africa Twin, but if I go east it'll probably be in the BMW 535i.

21Kid
August 30th, 2022, 12:26 PM
Seems odd that the Japanese are lagging more than Korea and Europe. Sure Prius set an early standard but Toyota has been slow moving from there.
I've always wondered why Toyota didn't expand sooner into the fully EV market. The Prius has been out for over 20 years. They had a hell of a headstart and could have led the cheap(er) EV market. But they waited too long and are now just one of a number of others.

dodint
August 30th, 2022, 12:34 PM
It's possible that people in this market don't want EVs on that scale yet. Drive out of the haze of the city and ownership of EVs gets a lot more difficult.

21Kid
August 30th, 2022, 01:01 PM
That seems... backward to me. I don't know. :? I could see why something like a Leaf wouldn't be feasible. But most of the current cars get over 200 miles range.

My job was 12.5 miles away. So I rarely had to fill up on fuel. (I also worked remotely most of the time)

My mom lived out on a farm for a few decades and drove 40(ish) miles each way to work in the city. She and her husband spent a crazy amount on fuel each month before they retired. It was their 2nd biggest monthly bill after the mortgage.

It would seem to me that someone that lives out in the boonies would want to save as much on their commute as possible. And with the amount of land (usually)available to someone that lives further away, they'd have more of an opportunity to install solar and offset the fuel cost than someone in the city.

dodint
August 30th, 2022, 01:44 PM
I was talking about full EVs. I'm confused why you're talking about fuel.

Given the choice I'd trade the MINI on a full EV and use it as an errands car. But I'd still need the Saab for stuff like going on vacation or even round-tripping up to the race track or the more distant golf courses in the local area. And I'd also have to have a charger installed in my garage, which in my case requires the installation of a second junction box because my current one is full. I could just plug it into existing house power but then we're looking at, what, 12-14 hour charge times?

Oh, and I have to hope that it can handle driving in cold winters and snow. Or else we'll have to take the Saab again.

Not being a Devil's Advocate intentionally, but I looked into solar for us because we just redid the roof. It's not advisable in our area because we live in a valley.

Next car will likely be a hybrid of some sort. I was very impressed with a co-workers Volt up in Wisconsin. It tackled all the issues I raised very well.

Kchrpm
August 30th, 2022, 01:56 PM
Being farther away from the city means fewer or no charging stations. If you don't have a garage where you can charge easily any/every night, that becomes more of an issue.

I think in general that electric cars could work for a lot of new car buyers around the country, but the actual and perceived trade-offs can be hard to sell when many people are so comfortable with the sacrifices they've already been making for years/decades.

dodint
August 30th, 2022, 02:07 PM
PittRace installed three Porsche chargers next to the gas pumps. I have that going for me. ;)

There was a Hyundai EV at Track Night on Friday, looked pretty neat on grid next to my Dad's '65 Mustang.

Kchrpm
August 30th, 2022, 02:39 PM
Both of those things are sweet to here and I will look forward to seeing them next year.

dodint
August 30th, 2022, 02:56 PM
Yeah, would've loved to have had you back at the Showcase. Although it did rain a little during TNiA so it might not have been entirely pleasant, forged wheels or not. ;)

Dicknose
August 30th, 2022, 03:23 PM
We're starting to see the Kia and Hyundai EVs up here as well but Teslas overwhelm the EV scene.

Yeah Tesla dominates here as well.
Just interesting to see Korea ahead of the curve, esp compared to Japan.

Electric car would take too long with all the charging. The bike would be less comfortable than a car, but in the west I can lane split on the bike, so if I go west i'm likely touring on the Africa Twin, but if I go east it'll probably be in the BMW 535i.
Im closer to 300 miles, but that also means its short enough to do in 1 go, its a half day drive. Done it quite a few times on the bike but I do find that boring and tiring, have been known to take the long/twisty/scenic way just to make it more enjoyable! No lane splitting needed (or possible) as its almost all freeway that's moving. Im a few hundred metres from the freeway onramp, so lane splitting would get me past maybe 2 cars! Then there is only a couple of traffic lights in Canberra as the bypass ends and its back to normal roads before the next highway starts. The bike can make highway overtaking easier - the last 200km of the route is 1 lane each way undivided highway with few overtaking sections. But the Porsche is not too bad at that!

Dicknose
August 30th, 2022, 03:27 PM
I could just plug it into existing house power but then we're looking at, what, 12-14 hour charge times?

Only for a full recharge...
If you are doing regular short trips then you might only need a nightly 1 hour recharge.
You know - a little bit at a time!

Blerpa
August 31st, 2022, 01:56 AM
All this discussion about full EV got me curious, I opened one of the two main car magazines in Italy and proceeded to list all the EV models from various brands sold in here. Here we go:

. Aiways U5 (chinese brand, that's their only car sold in Italy)
. Audi E-Tron GT, Q4 E-Tron, Q4 Sportback E-Tron, E-Tron, E-Tron Sportback
. BMW i3, Serie 7 i7, X3 iX3, iX
. Citroen E-Berlingo, E-C4
. Cupra Born
. Dacia Spring
. DFSK Glory 500
. DS 3 Crossback
. EVO 3
. Fiat NUOVA 500 (normal and cabrio), E-Doblo
. Ford Mustang Mach-E
. Honda E
. Hyundai Kona, Ioniq 5, Nexo
. Jaguar I-Pace
. Kia E-Soul, Niro, EV6
. Lexus UX
. Mazda MX-30
. Mercedes EQE, EQS, EQA, EQB, EQC,
. MG MG5, ZS, Marvel R
. Mini Cooper SE 3 Doors
. Nissan Leaf, e-NV200, Ariya
. Opel Corsa, Combo E-Life, Mokka
. Peugeot 208, E-Rifter, 2008
. Porsche Taycan (classic and Turismo)
. Renault Twingo, Zoe, Megane E-Tech
. Seres 3 (chinese)
. Skoda Enyaq IV
. Smart Fortwo
. Tesla Model 3, Y, S, X
. Toyota Mirai, Proace City Verso
. Volkswagen E-Up!, ID.3, ID.4, ID.5
. Volvo XC40, C40

No electric vehicles:
Abarth - right now it sells only gasoline 595s and 695s, Alfa Romeo - they sell only Giulia, Tonale and Stelvio and it seems they are terribly late to show the latter two cars in EV guise but they are expected very soon, Aston Martin, Bentley, Cadillac - only XT4 and Escalade sold in Italy, Caterham - only the Seven S3 sold in here, Chevrolet - Camaro, Corvette C8 and Silverado, Dallara, DR - italian cheap brand that rebrands chinese cars under license, like the Chery Tiggo, Ferrari, Great Wall - chinese brand once again, Ineos - cheap british brand that sells old Land Rover clones, Isuzu - they only sell the diesel D-Max here, Jeep, Lamborghini - Huracan and Urus, Lancia - only Ypsilon on sale, Land Rover, Lotus - only Emira, Lynk&Co., Mahindra, Maserati, Mclaren, Mitsubishi, Morgan, Rolls-Royce, Seat (incredibly they do not have a single EV in sale for now), SsangYong, Subaru - very niche brand in Italy, they sell just Impreza, XV, Forester and Outback in gasoline or gasoline hybrid guise, Suzuki.

Seems to me everyone offers an EV in here BUT traditional sport/super/hypercar manufactures along with offroad ones and few niche producers do not, the latter possibly because of production costs.
Seat is the only one that really stands out, especially since it is under the VW umbrella and both VW and Skoda have EVs on sale (but Cupra, which was the performance sub brand of Seat and now is indipendent, like DS with Citroen, has an EV).

21Kid
August 31st, 2022, 11:24 AM
Only for a full recharge...
If you are doing regular short trips then you might only need a nightly 1 hour recharge.
You know - a little bit at a time! :lol: Finally!!! It has come to fruition!!!

My wife has a plug-in hybrid and drives about 7 miles to work. She has just under 50% left when she gets home. So it finishes charging sometime around midnight. That reminds me. I should look into preventing it from charging until we are in *off-peak hrs (9pm).

MR2 Fan
August 31st, 2022, 02:06 PM
going a bit stir-crazy. I just got a big raise at work and I'm no longer trying (endlessly) to pour money into a 3D printer business plan for the third time that won't pan out.

What does that mean? I will seriously look into finally getting another 2nd gen MR2...it helps (well, WILL help) that the values of them keep going up but I am finding some bargains.

so I'm going to be smart and patient, find the right one that's in good shape and only needs a minor bit of work to get running well, then will consider upgrades. The only one I 100% do not want is an Automatic....can't believe they even offered those.

The last time I bought one was several years ago, it was $1,000 but not running and was just too far gone to put more money into. This time I want one a bit nicer.

XHawkeye
August 31st, 2022, 03:45 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0wO6RgWUAU_5S6.jpg

Kchrpm
August 31st, 2022, 06:04 PM
going a bit stir-crazy. I just got a big raise at work and I'm no longer trying (endlessly) to pour money into a 3D printer business plan for the third time that won't pan out.

What does that mean? I will seriously look into finally getting another 2nd gen MR2...it helps (well, WILL help) that the values of them keep going up but I am finding some bargains.

so I'm going to be smart and patient, find the right one that's in good shape and only needs a minor bit of work to get running well, then will consider upgrades. The only one I 100% do not want is an Automatic....can't believe they even offered those.

The last time I bought one was several years ago, it was $1,000 but not running and was just too far gone to put more money into. This time I want one a bit nicer.

Ready for a cross-country trip?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/0bf109fb-0139-4fac-9eaf-e438370262c9/

Dicknose
August 31st, 2022, 06:34 PM
:lol: Finally!!! It has come to fruition!!!

And oddly with battery characteristics it might actually be better!

My wife has a plug-in hybrid and drives about 7 miles to work. She has just under 50% left when she gets home. So it finishes charging sometime around midnight. That reminds me. I should look into preventing it from charging until we are in *off-peak hrs (9pm).

You might also want to check what is best for that battery, it might be better to keep it at 80% rather than 100% unless you really need the extra distance for your next trip.
Could be better to play in the 30%-80% range than 50%-100%
Of cause this requires some amount of smart charging or a bit more effort.

Dicknose
August 31st, 2022, 06:35 PM
I will seriously look into finally getting another 2nd gen MR2...

Stop talking, start buying!!!

neanderthal
August 31st, 2022, 07:21 PM
And oddly with battery characteristics it might actually be better!

You might also want to check what is best for that battery, it might be better to keep it at 80% rather than 100% unless you really need the extra distance for your next trip.
Could be better to play in the 30%-80% range than 50%-100%
Of cause this requires some amount of smart charging or a bit more effort.

Was coming to say exactly this.

Most batteries are happiest between 30- 80% full.

MR2 Fan
August 31st, 2022, 08:10 PM
Ready for a cross-country trip?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/0bf109fb-0139-4fac-9eaf-e438370262c9/

Dang that is super nice....looks brand new. Non-turbo, but a turbo would be like $30-35K with that mileage.

Edit: The color isn't great, and that's the bad part, any major mods might lower the value

neanderthal
September 5th, 2022, 05:20 PM
I would pay for one day of doing this. Jeep, Ford?!?!? Do they have anything like this at all for the consumer to see and drive the capabilities of the vehicles? Austria is a bit far. But i'll fucking go!!!!

https://youtu.be/7yqwmRV_LKI

XHawkeye
September 6th, 2022, 03:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWgzXy3Vzg

XHawkeye
September 6th, 2022, 03:39 PM
https://twitter.com/SoloFlow786/status/1566585031631732737 <---- Golden Oldie that reappeared on my twitter feed. Open for your amusement.

Kchrpm
September 13th, 2022, 10:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PRpzPY7YwQ

dodint
September 13th, 2022, 11:46 AM
More like Puke-osangue, amirite?

MR2 Fan
September 20th, 2022, 08:09 PM
Ariel Hipercar and....a Jet Turbine to.....charge the EV batteries?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS2XwsIFVs0

Phil_SS
September 21st, 2022, 05:40 AM
Neat! But it looks like it is made out of Rubbermaid garbage can material.

XHawkeye
September 28th, 2022, 03:40 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E00VGP9WYAALMEp.jpg

Dicknose
September 28th, 2022, 08:31 PM
a Jet Turbine to.....charge the EV batteries?

Driven a truck that was electric with turbine hybrid recharge.
Man it made some noise when the turbine wound up.

XHawkeye
October 3rd, 2022, 03:54 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FeKK670WAAAVltC.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/FeKK7DlWYAEQrzM.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FeKK7OaWYAQ36TA.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/FeKK7Y6XwAMR4m2.jpg

https://twitter.com/addict_car/status/1576975574781677573

Tom Servo
October 3rd, 2022, 05:35 PM
Dude, I want an underhood service light on every car.

XHawkeye
October 4th, 2022, 03:30 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FeOisutXEAAS7dV.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FeOisuuX0AYpfuR.jpg

German's don't need a stinkin' Super Duty to tow a car trailer.

XHawkeye
October 12th, 2022, 03:08 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fe3Xm1PXgAIZtSK.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fe3XrJxWQAYW2O9.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fe3XuFhXoAAPOhT.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fe3XxCeXoAAPKSn.jpg

2021 Results: #Porsche911 & #ChevroletCorvette made up 78% of the segment's global volume. Sales for this segment increased 17% to 96,000 units.
USA (50,500 units), Germany (10,700), China (5,100), Canada (4,600), and Japan (4,400) were the top 5 largest markets. (https://twitter.com/lovecarindustry/status/1580156497757376512)

XHawkeye
October 12th, 2022, 03:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwJbqy5XAAQbfn_.jpg

Godson
October 12th, 2022, 09:25 PM
Wait... Maserati sold only 20 Gran Turismo

Oooof

TheBenior
October 13th, 2022, 05:34 AM

Oooof

That's arguably worse than selling zero of them, since 2019 was the final model year.

Phil_SS
October 13th, 2022, 07:19 AM

Oooof

And Honda only sold 20 NSXs.......:D

dodint
October 13th, 2022, 07:22 AM
Why buy an NSX when you can have the Chevy version for less?

Phil_SS
October 13th, 2022, 09:53 AM
Why buy an NSX when you can have the Chevy version for less?

Or the Acura version.

Godson
October 14th, 2022, 08:12 PM
Wait, is the Acura version the Z06?

If so, I approve of this message.

XHawkeye
October 17th, 2022, 03:53 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FfMjMhzWAAABsCx.jpg

Merkur XR4ti 85 mph speedometer

dodint
October 17th, 2022, 04:09 PM
The Delorean had one, though it was scaled properly. ;)

JoeW
October 18th, 2022, 01:55 AM
All that means is the XR4Ti could begin time travel at a lower speed. That’s why the rest of the gauge is red.

George
October 18th, 2022, 06:21 AM
I learn so much at this forum.

George
October 19th, 2022, 09:44 AM
https://hagerty-media-prod.imgix.net/2021/10/Chevelle-Rockingham.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&fit=crop&h=1152&ixlib=php-3.3.0&w=1536

Source: https://www.hagerty.com/media/what-if/what-if-1970-chevrolet-chevelle-rockingham-454/

SportWagon
October 19th, 2022, 01:50 PM
The voice of Bud Lindemann begins echoing in my head...

George
October 19th, 2022, 03:18 PM
Here's a better link to the rest of the What If? (https://www.hagerty.com/media/category/what-if/) "alternate universe" vehicles, like this '69 Cadillac Escalade.

https://hagerty-media-prod.imgix.net/2021/07/68-Escalade-1.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&fit=crop&h=1152&ixlib=php-3.3.0&w=1536

CudaMan
October 20th, 2022, 04:35 PM
Man, the ones I've read so far are gold! Not just the cars (GR Sienna, Alpina Coupe, '99 Supra) but the stories too. I'm going to be reading a lot more of these as I have time. Thanks for making me laugh today George. :up:

I actually really like the way that Alpina Coupe looks, aside from the white interior anyway.

MR2 Fan
October 20th, 2022, 06:35 PM
I'll take the Toyota Sienna GR

https://hagerty-media-prod.imgix.net/2022/04/Sienna-GR-1-scaled.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&ixlib=php-3.3.0

Phil_SS
October 21st, 2022, 05:50 AM
The 1969 Cadillac Escalade is baller. Love it!

And yeah the stories are great. I'm huge fan of the Cutlass Supreme, especially the late 90's version, always thought it was a good looking car so the version based on the Camaro is pretty dang cool.

The 1969 Saleen S390 is something that could be created. The fuschia with pink striped one is just, chef's kiss. I'm not totally sold on the wheels though.

XHawkeye
October 28th, 2022, 03:26 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FgH7n_-XgAA3vEx.jpg

Should've bought from CarMax

Dicknose
October 30th, 2022, 10:08 PM
13k in credit card debit and buying a new car on a loan.
Some people have no clue on how to budget.

Phil_SS
October 31st, 2022, 07:51 AM
The issue is with the system. No way that a person with 13k in CC debt that makes 75k should have been approved for that loan. And 84 month loan is insanity.

And the EV rebate doesn't work that way, aka, it's not a rebate. It's a tax credit. You don't get a check of $7500 from the government.

MR2 Fan
October 31st, 2022, 07:52 AM
that's pretty average in the U.S. honestly if I was to guess

EDIT: was replying to Dicknose

Crazed_Insanity
October 31st, 2022, 07:53 AM
There are probably significant amount of consumers like him who are propping up the US economy.

Very scary.

Our schools really need to teach a bit more on the subject of money. Otherwise the bankers/sales people will end up squeezing our next generation dry... Actually forget that... our schools are the 1st in line to rob from our future generations by loading them up with huge student debts while offering them worthless degrees...

Don't get me wrong, I think that Kia EV is a good car. Just shouldn't be that expensive, like our college education. Also, not sure where can he find rent for $900? He must be renting out a room from his parents? ;)

XHawkeye
November 1st, 2022, 03:58 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FgbpcpoX0AEWe8p.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FgbpcpnWYAAskHM.jpg

Before and after Hurricane Ian. Pictures of a car salvage yard in Florida. (https://twitter.com/GuyDealership/status/1587212600814833671)

dodint
November 1st, 2022, 04:02 PM
Some guys in my racer group chat have been watching for flood damaged air cooled 911s.

MR2 Fan
November 1st, 2022, 04:14 PM
yeah, there's gonna be a lot of flooded used cars on the market near here

Phil_SS
November 2nd, 2022, 06:32 AM
From a track car perspective. Might be a good way to get a cheap car that you would strip out anyways.

dodint
November 2nd, 2022, 07:00 AM
That's the thought, yeah. The one my brother was watching ended at $15.2k, a bit too rich for his blood.

https://www.copart.com/lot/63764552/salvage-1983-porsche-911-sc-fl-orlando-south

speedpimp
November 2nd, 2022, 01:53 PM
yeah, there's gonna be a lot of flooded used cars on the market near here

Are you saying that the market will be flooded?
/I'll show myself out.

Phil_SS
November 3rd, 2022, 07:09 AM
Hmmmm

https://www.copart.com/lot/62511592/2009-pontiac-g8-gxp-fl-punta-gorda-south

Kchrpm
November 3rd, 2022, 07:49 AM
DOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTT

dodint
November 3rd, 2022, 07:52 AM
The last great Pontiac*?

*Holden

Phil_SS
November 4th, 2022, 05:52 AM
Hey Tyler!

https://www.copart.com/lot/63256352/salvage-2006-lotus-exige-ks-kansas-city-east

Godson
November 4th, 2022, 02:02 PM
Forwarded onto my buddy who wants one.

Sadly 06 is a bastard child, only year it isn't S/C.

Which means it would make a great track car...

XHawkeye
November 8th, 2022, 04:00 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fg4PvbCWYAIvRwB.jpg

XHawkeye
November 9th, 2022, 03:07 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fg-q_NQXoAUfaAs.jpg

XHawkeye
November 14th, 2022, 02:59 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhZT-dHXwAEFoSP.jpg

XHawkeye
November 16th, 2022, 03:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhiiGwFWIAERIqF.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhiiMVUXEAAD3UK.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhimbdeXoAE-E-J.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fhimid4X0AcBWcI.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhimmpAWIAESk6w.jpg

dodint
November 16th, 2022, 05:56 PM
I didn't know there were t-top Mustangs.

JoshInKC
November 16th, 2022, 06:42 PM
I didn't know there were t-top Mustangs.

You will no doubt be shocked to learn that they leaked in the rain.

dodint
November 16th, 2022, 06:56 PM
Naaaaw.

George
November 18th, 2022, 10:13 AM
For what it's worth, a lot of XHawkeye's posts are blank for me. Not all, but some. I've noticed this before also.

https://i.postimg.cc/HkrstRJy/Untitled.jpg

Godson
November 18th, 2022, 10:19 AM
Are you accessing the forum on a work browser?

If so, the firewall may be preventing you from seeing the photos.

George
November 18th, 2022, 10:29 AM
Yes, but I noticed it yesterday while working from home also. That was on this same company-owned laptop but a different ISP.

I'll try a different computer from home next time.

George
November 18th, 2022, 06:59 PM
Okay, now I see them. Thanks Godson. I'd post a screen shot but I'm on Ubuntu and haven't gotten that far into the owners manual yet.

I might not have mentioned it but Hawk has the good stuff.

*inhales deeply*

I always liked those early Fox body Mustangs. They were such an improvement over the Pinto-stangs and they looked good until they started getting fat in the late '80s with skirts and spoilers and fog lamps and louvered taillight covers and I don't know what-all. They made the best-looking highway patrol cars, too.

That Pacer ad is, um, interesting. :lol:

XHawkeye
November 21st, 2022, 03:28 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhyW5oqWIAQVj2F.jpg

The E30 M3 Sport Evolution III is one of the rarest BMWs in the world. Only 600 examples were made, making this car one of the most desirable examples of the M3. Available for sale now and priced at £249,950. Contact us on 0115 855 7171 or check http://bit.ly/3Ai1BJu.

XHawkeye
November 21st, 2022, 03:29 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fh3VbSyWQAIDmQL.jpg

Godson
November 21st, 2022, 03:57 PM
That ain't right...

21Kid
November 22nd, 2022, 07:49 AM
I saw an EV Hummer in the gated community by my house. :lol: It's just as gaudy as the H2, but NOW ELECTRIC. LOL

speedpimp
November 27th, 2022, 03:48 AM

XHawkeye
November 28th, 2022, 03:05 PM
Git 'Er Done

Even a McLaren GT worthy of some padding under the ratchet straps.

XHawkeye
November 30th, 2022, 04:09 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FivQj2laEAIzib0.jpg

Latest: The A127 in Southend is closed inbound, just after the Tesco roundabout, due to a McLaren sports car on fire. Firefighters are at the scene tackling the flames. Traffic is slow moving.

SportWagon
December 5th, 2022, 03:10 AM
The long-running television show My Three Sons was in its early years a bit of a General Motors advertisement. Most especially, behind the closing credits were featured shots of cars like the Pontiac Tempest and Chevrolet Corvair. and others. And cars used in the series were supplied by GM (though in one episode we did see an SS Jaguar--falsely identified as something Italian).

In the 1962 episode Le Petit Stowaway in which the youngest son, Chip, did stowaway and end up alone in Paris, we see in the background a French GM ad featuring a line drawing of an apparent eurocar. I didn't record with high quality, and the ad might not have been in strong focus anyway, so it's difficult to determine what the car is.

Actually, in one photo it almost looks like it says Chevrolet Corvair, but it does not look like the North American styled Corvair, as featured in the closing credits.

XHawkeye
December 9th, 2022, 03:38 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjYHYAZXgAIkPHV.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjYHe_qWYAEWihW.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjYHpGeWAAMLVzZ.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjYZK23WAAQ4eFl.jpg

Saab rally legend Stig Blomqvist starred in this 1977 brochure alongside the then-sportiest model in the company's range, the 118bhp EMS. It was described as having 'the ability to take heavy punishment...with roadholding to match its sporty temperament'. #carbrochure #Saab

XHawkeye
December 13th, 2022, 03:57 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjygNJZWIAEXbFX.jpg

neanderthal
December 24th, 2022, 07:47 AM
Yesterday I learned that there is such a thing as a Lexus GS200t. Only made for 2017 apparently.

XHawkeye
December 24th, 2022, 03:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVeK7sVt9BQ

XHawkeye
December 24th, 2022, 04:51 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FkhScKCVEAAGLZb.jpg

XHawkeye
December 28th, 2022, 03:43 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fk_1KiKWAAArxop.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fk_1Ol1XkAExexh.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fk_3wDaX0AAE8XT.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fk_30k6WQAAx3Je.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fk__pKkX0AIAeTY.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fk__s0gXkAApM4a.jpg

dodint
December 29th, 2022, 03:45 AM
We had one when I was a kid. It had t-tops.

SportWagon
December 30th, 2022, 02:07 PM
I think the assistant manager at the A&W I worked at in 1975 had a Chevrolet Monte Carlo, but later both he and the manager bought new Mazda 808s (I recall as the model name; Google confirms). I don't think he owned them in the other order.

XHawkeye
January 5th, 2023, 03:24 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fbfl6jIWQAAJ7Je.jpg

MR2 Fan
January 5th, 2023, 06:50 PM
The dark ages

https://i.redd.it/j30uors69kt31.jpg

XHawkeye
January 9th, 2023, 03:34 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FmDhrQmagAAGIP7.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FmDhvgAagAA7xQw.jpg

XHawkeye
January 11th, 2023, 02:54 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FmL6yrdWAAEp6mK.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FmL6yrZXwAEAXUN.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FmL6yrKXgAI_T4_.jpg

I tried to buy this 1987 Dodge Omni with 70K miles but at $3,500 I found the asking price too strong. They didn’t accept my offer so hey-Ho. Check out those seats! (https://twitter.com/freepieanchips/status/1613127374853517312)

XHawkeye
January 17th, 2023, 03:14 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fmo-2DrXEAIZ3aY.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fmo-2WhWAAIqZsS.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fmo-2nPXgAILElr.jpg

You guys see the new Bricklin? This is the pre-production prototype. #WeirdCarTwitter (https://twitter.com/DMCMarty/status/1615172527487332352)

21Kid
January 17th, 2023, 05:41 PM
Leather seats are so boring. Give me more of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idZgLmW1iVU

MR2 Fan
January 17th, 2023, 10:15 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fmo-2DrXEAIZ3aY.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fmo-2WhWAAIqZsS.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fmo-2nPXgAILElr.jpg

You guys see the new Bricklin? This is the pre-production prototype. #WeirdCarTwitter (https://twitter.com/DMCMarty/status/1615172527487332352)

It looks like it was designed to have 4 wheels then they decided to make it 3 wheels.

Even beyond that the front is very very strange

JoeW
January 18th, 2023, 02:59 AM
Probably a tricked out Polaris Slingshot.

Phil_SS
January 18th, 2023, 11:15 AM
Probably a tricked out Polaris Slingshot.

My thought as well when I saw it.

And the original Bricklin didn't have a grill, it was a wedge shape......and since this is an EV, it shouldn't need a grill.....thus why does it need a grill......aka dumb.

XHawkeye
January 19th, 2023, 04:00 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FmtgJYxagAAhOIT.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FmtgKbiaMAAEYQ8.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FmtgLXuakAA28KR.jpg

USA 2022: Sales at lowest since 2012 due to limited stock, inflation, +interest rates. 13.83m units, -8% vs 2021 (-5% vs 2020): (https://twitter.com/lovecarindustry/status/1615491550234177542)
-SUV 53% record share. Sedans down to 16% share
-GM takes crown back from Toyota, big winner.
-Tesla moderates growth: +36% 2022 vs 21; +69% 21 vs 20

XHawkeye
January 20th, 2023, 04:03 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fm2bTakXEAAZ8lQ.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fm2bZQFXwA8_TRX.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fm2bcvSXwAEToWm.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fm2bgkbXkAQv-X8.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fm2ccYtXwAglUcc.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fm2cgmMXwBET6NT.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fm2cyGHXwAIbVuG.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fm2c3M4XwB0LYfj.jpg

Chevrolet's Impala SS was revived in 1994, based on the rounded body of the latest Caprice. The car had a 260hp 5.7-litre LT1 engine and for its first year was only available in black. #carbrochure #Chevrolet (https://twitter.com/addict_car/status/1616123244418895872)

dodint
January 20th, 2023, 04:49 PM
The only Chevy I ever loved.

XHawkeye
January 21st, 2023, 02:18 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FnAFhYEXEAMlSlL.jpg

XHawkeye
January 24th, 2023, 03:04 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FnQxIHkXgAgeIoq.jpg

Factoid Extra: In 1975 the BMW range was about to change dramatically with the E21 3-Series & then the E24 6-Series/E23 7-Series in 1976/77. The 1502 (announced here) would be the only holdover & was made until 1977. (https://twitter.com/thecarfactoids/status/1617972193937469440)

Tom Servo
January 24th, 2023, 09:58 PM
Do we have an "opinion on potential new car purchases" thread or a place to do that? We're looking to replace our RAV4 and figured I'd see what the car folks in my life feel about the options.

Kchrpm
January 25th, 2023, 06:16 AM
Cadillac Lyriq. Because you DESERVE a Cadillac.

Yw-slayer
January 25th, 2023, 07:20 AM
Do we have an "opinion on potential new car purchases" thread or a place to do that? We're looking to replace our RAV4 and figured I'd see what the car folks in my life feel about the options.

Just start one for yourself, bro. We’ll chime in.

XHawkeye
January 27th, 2023, 02:54 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FnfjjcWXEAAZp3d.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cx4kTHwWQAAC8r8.jpg

Honda Prelude and its rivals. Motor magazine, 1983. via @CarterCollectab

XHawkeye
January 28th, 2023, 06:26 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fnl-BrXWYAMS2pv.jpg

MR2 Fan
January 28th, 2023, 07:20 PM
when your 0-60 time isn't good enough, just state 0-50 time :lol:

XHawkeye
February 7th, 2023, 03:05 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FoUPhWCWAAQ7o8F.jpg

XHawkeye
February 7th, 2023, 03:06 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FoTqsmgX0AAL3JV.jpg

Some Spanish humor

Leon
February 7th, 2023, 07:20 PM
My friend's dad is about to sell the RX3 sedan he has owned from new, 31 March 1973. Running a 13B, a little bit in the way of suspension and brake upgrades.

He is waiting until it turns 50 years old.

SportWagon
February 8th, 2023, 02:50 AM
Objective Nürburgring BY BOB ROEMER

Sixty years ago, the U.S. Army’s 11th Armored Division captured a strategic icon: the world’s most famous race track.http://www.11tharmoreddivision.com/history/objective_nurburgring.htm

XHawkeye
February 9th, 2023, 02:51 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fogz6ifaAAAoCrt.jpg

As seen on twitter

XHawkeye
February 14th, 2023, 02:42 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbMfJhdXEAAlOpv.jpg

XHawkeye
February 16th, 2023, 03:39 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpFN7XaWYAIyXGG.jpg

XHawkeye
February 17th, 2023, 03:02 PM
Bugger (https://twitter.com/Only9built/status/1626528709145395203)<--- Open for video

neanderthal
February 19th, 2023, 04:19 PM
You gotta love it (https://www.thedrive.com/news/r32-nissan-skyline-rocks-modern-race-cars-at-bathurst-prompts-official-investigation) <--- open for article with video.

You've got to love the R32 Skyline in among the pigeons (modern day race cars) where they come around the corner at Mt Panorama and it just fucks off!!!

Phil_SS
February 20th, 2023, 07:13 AM
From reading the article, it appears although it isn't said, that he is benefitting from a loophole in the rules?

I'm guessing he is significantly slower in the corners?

Kchrpm
February 20th, 2023, 07:46 AM
From reading the article, it appears although it isn't said, that he is benefitting from a loophole in the rules?

I'm guessing he is significantly slower in the corners?

Yes. He disappears off on the straights, and then gets caught in the twisty bits. It's very much like the rocketship builds you would see online in Forza.

Yobbo NZ
February 21st, 2023, 03:44 AM
He was backing off a bit to try not to go under the specified laptime for that class.
There is another class he can run in, it wasn't there that weekend, that will allow him to run a lot quicker.
That car holds lap records at a couple of tracks also.

Kchrpm
February 21st, 2023, 05:41 AM
If you have to purposefully slow down on every lap to stay legal in a class, are you legal in that class?

Yobbo NZ
February 21st, 2023, 02:06 PM
About right. But it's track time and the exposure he's got now.
There was an identical car buried further down the field that made up a lot of places also, but didn't get seen on TV.

Phil_SS
February 22nd, 2023, 06:55 AM
If you have to purposefully slow down on every lap to stay legal in a class, are you legal in that class?

IMO, no. Although I don't believe that rules should be based on lap times.

Godson
February 22nd, 2023, 05:33 PM
What not a fan of ezgt ?

speedpimp
February 23rd, 2023, 12:40 PM

XHawkeye
February 23rd, 2023, 03:25 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpVvbWjXwAY-bP-.jpg

XHawkeye
February 24th, 2023, 04:40 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpUG6_DWcAAYrEI.jpg

XHawkeye
February 24th, 2023, 04:41 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpUGtfEXwAA6U7U.jpg

XHawkeye
February 24th, 2023, 04:41 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpUGmL1XgAQya0a.jpg

XHawkeye
February 24th, 2023, 04:42 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpUGFrgXoAIIjBa.jpg

XHawkeye
February 24th, 2023, 04:42 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpUF66qXwAIP5d9.jpg

XHawkeye
February 24th, 2023, 04:51 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpUFwZ-WAAE7gP_.jpg

XHawkeye
February 27th, 2023, 03:29 PM
Experience driving in the 4th dimension! (https://twitter.com/EagleKammback/status/1629890411245502464) <--- Open for video

XHawkeye
February 28th, 2023, 03:14 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqFE9l1WIAkiPt-.jpg

XHawkeye
March 1st, 2023, 04:03 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqJP3N-WwAAGXUC.jpg https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqJP-lAXsAIKQw-.jpg https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqJQDkRXoAEcrYO.jpg

The characterful Renault 5 Alpine was known as the Gordini in the UK, since Talbot already used the Alpine name locally. This 1979 brochure emphasized the performance credentials of the 5 Gordini, which had a 1397cc 93bhp engine and 108mph top speed. (https://twitter.com/addict_car/status/1630957878499475457)

XHawkeye
March 1st, 2023, 04:04 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqJRI0GXoAAKkyL.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqJRN3UWYAAHL-C.jpg

A unique alloy wheel style made the Renault 5 Gordini stand out from the crowd, and inside the cabin it boasted front seats with integrated head rests as well as 'colour-coded performance instruments with through the wheel visibility'.

XHawkeye
March 1st, 2023, 04:05 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqJUjb7WYAIkLR-.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqJUjvqXoAEK9oF.jpg

Legendary racing driver and Renault fan Stirling Moss also personally endorsed the abilities of the 5 Gordini in the brochure. He was pictured with the LHD model, in a pose which safely obscured the Alpine logo. It can be seen on the cover of this separate European brochure.

Tom Servo
March 1st, 2023, 06:00 PM
Man, them rear seats look purposely designed for maximum whiplash.

MR2 Fan
March 1st, 2023, 11:28 PM
Ferrari 296 GTB is a beautiful car with styling that reminds me of several other cars, but as mentioned, Ferrari is REALLY screwing with their interior control schemes that ruin a lot of things.

Also, the taillights remind me of italian sunglasses

https://stimg.cardekho.com/images/carexteriorimages/930x620/Ferrari/296-GTB/9306/1662645477500/taillight-44.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df7tgK-oyTA

Yw-slayer
March 2nd, 2023, 01:18 AM
... but as mentioned, Ferrari is REALLY screwing with their interior control schemes that ruin a lot of things...

The steering-wheel mounted indicator buttons are good for "F1 pOWER#=42=A" salespeople but frankly made little sense to me when I drove one.

XHawkeye
March 2nd, 2023, 04:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqO0K9eXoBIcvU-.jpg

They'll dunk your burning ev in a tub of water.

XHawkeye
March 4th, 2023, 02:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqU6pqoWAAA2KMt.jpg

XHawkeye
March 4th, 2023, 02:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqXTARUWcAEuu49.jpg

XHawkeye
March 4th, 2023, 02:51 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqUAX8cXoB0tiIu.jpg

retsmah
March 5th, 2023, 04:06 PM
Not sure if this is the right post for it, but I got a little lucky today on maintenance on my 2014 Accent. I had noticed that I was slowly losing oil, something like 1 liter/5000 miles, I just added some oil and decided I'd see if I could spot any leaks when I did my next oil change.

I did an oil change today, turns out the leak was from the oil filter gasket, so the oil change should fix it!

The accent is at 112k miles now, if this oil leak doesn't count the only thing I've had to do on the car that wasn't regular maintenance was replace a wheel bearing.

speedpimp
March 6th, 2023, 01:04 PM

Tom Servo
March 6th, 2023, 07:06 PM
Boring news, but the XC90 just got its first longish drive, from LA to San Diego and back. It's rated at 26 highway, I got 30. That's more than I ever got out of the RAV. Not too disappointed with that.

Tom Servo
March 12th, 2023, 04:25 PM
Car downloaded a software update, prompted me to install it. Told me that once I set it to start the installation and lock the doors, the car will be impossible to unlock or start for 90 minutes. Welcome to the future.

CudaMan
March 13th, 2023, 11:57 AM
90 minutes! Wow!

Tom Servo
March 13th, 2023, 04:25 PM
Hah, thankfully that was a little bit of a conservative estimate. Ended up sending a notification to our phones about 20 minutes later that everything was updated and the car was fine to drive again. No noticeable change about anything so far, I think it was mostly a bugfix update.

XHawkeye
March 18th, 2023, 04:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fq93GxNWAAEqgna.jpg

XHawkeye
March 18th, 2023, 04:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fq9aHBRXoAMK69l.jpg

MR2 Fan
March 18th, 2023, 06:46 PM
Anyone remember this? Saturn SC2. I thought it was so cool and different looking when it came out, like a concept car that made it to production. Now looking back, it's clearly EXTREMELY 90's GM in a lot of ways.

I still like the design and my mother owned a Saturn SL1 a few years later, pretty nice for what it was....the first car I ever drove on my own.

https://consumerguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/92130011990108.jpg

Tom Servo
March 18th, 2023, 07:29 PM
My sister still has a Saturn.

I swear one of them had a reverse opening rear door ala the RX-8, but I can't for the life of me remember what model.

MR2 Fan
March 18th, 2023, 07:31 PM
Saturn Ion Coupe

https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/saturn/ion/2003/oem/2003_saturn_ion_coupe_2_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

Tom Servo
March 18th, 2023, 08:27 PM
I'm definitely having one of those Mandela Effect things where I swore it was pre-ion, but everything I see is reminding me that I'm wrong.

GM's had so many fits and starts at making a car for a market like that and they always seem to give up right as it hits its stride.

One that comes to mind is from when my dad was working near Frankfurt for Opel. They had a smallish sedan called the Omega - was a perfectly reasonable car and could hold a good 130mph on the autobahn, fit four adults no problem, came with a manual gearbox...wasn't going to compete with BMW or Merc or anything but was a perfectly reasonable car.

They brought it to the US as the Cadillac Catera sans manual option and a horribly tarted up exterior, and it didn't sell for shit.

It's like they're consistently chasing this dream of being more mass-market and then, when they find something that's got mass-market appeal, they feel like they have to make it more GM, and sure as shit, a bunch of people no longer like it. The Omega wasn't a luxury car. It wasn't a big car. It didn't have a stupidly large engine for what it was. Why the hell did they try to turn it into a Cadillac?

TheBenior
March 18th, 2023, 10:23 PM
I would guess that GM couldn't sell the Catera as cheaply as they could the Lumina, and most of their buyers would probably prefer the extra shoulder width of the Lumina even at the same price.

1990s through mid-2000s Cadillacs didn't have especially luxurious interiors compared to BMW/Mercedes/Audi/Lexus anyway. I distinctly remember sitting in friends 1990s J-bodies and F-bodies and thinking that Chevy/Pontiac interiors were cheaper than Ford and Chrysler, let alone imported cars. Cadillac interiors were a step up from a low bar.

Tom Servo
March 19th, 2023, 05:00 AM
Oh yeah, totally agreed. I mostly thought that part of their thing was that they were large/spacious and that they often advertised things like having a 32 valve Northstar V8, so a little V6 Euro-sedan just didn't fit in their lineup at all.

I had barely driven the Omega and never really driven in snow and I got to try to get that going on a steep uphill after my folks had some drinks in Oslo. I am still grateful I managed not to hit any other cars.

dodint
March 19th, 2023, 06:41 AM
My grandma still drives a Saturn.

The second generation of the SC2 has the trick door on the driver side, like the RX-8. Except it was ahead of the RX-8 and supposedly the first in this era to offer that feature.

https://static.carfromjapan.com/spec_ee532db1-e7ad-494b-86ef-1ed3ea1c02a2_640_0

Saturn SC2 is the next racecar project for me. My uncle has one that he parked under some pine trees in Tennessee back in about 2010. He was a pretty accomplished autocrosser and had a bunch of bespoke parts made for it. He has a full turbo setup for it still in the box, including the upgraded pistons and other motor internals you need to run a substantial level of boost. Every time I visit him he tries to give it to me, but I've been building the SpecE46 for like four years now. We're going on vacation together in May and I'm going to have a sit down with him and start making it a reality.

The plan for it is to build up two motors, one an NA motor and another a turbo motor, that way I can use it in a variety of ways. It's still in the SCCA rulebook to be run in ITA, so I can road race it if I have an NA motor installed. I also have an interest in taking it to rallycross and LeMons with the turbo motor in it.

This was a few years ago, when I got in the car to make sure I actually fit in it there was a long snake skin on the back seat:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AMWts8BCIyHrsQKzBdHNql3LN0AT261UbI8CZ9QxxDMSyXaYbu gQmVJG-JWAt0QY_nGKikjPFK3LQQ-M9qHoyS0Hu48YGmbc5I2toBcaYe344LNM4nf0lQwm9YpBIPWC7 M4JMe2CDDz4uZ95fPWJFDIn8lgq-g=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AMWts8DvEpPJvXu5oTd07fl_PYyk8S4JAfP_BeFsFXZowg4-6pvg8uZjPHrf7lc-nHrL5YG1pGvLD9wwuGnybYTS2aqZbafA5VJetmrQU9YzOlDtRv W8rLxAJh6SV68TW_j46EWFMxWK3820oB9m-C_mRuRiAg=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AMWts8AhozWokeablf3ScFUZjeyX8f3PYUnM4c80gP3cwt5dUt N1xnX52g9WXQKrRmgClVjuoa8iqIDSSHilexNLcQezsPMzZCpK BYd8rgbfQWKsVnxlr4GoUp5aWJobkIahdL7DLoG-ayWZQJ_higr2J3lvXA=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0

I think, for LeMons, I might paint it gloss black and put a Knight Rider light bar in the bumper and go as a K.I.T.T. clone. :cool: This guy did one and I think ours would look even better on account of having the pop-up headlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grkAgayl2IA

Kchrpm
March 19th, 2023, 10:47 AM
I think, for LeMons, I might paint it gloss black and put a Knight Rider light bar in the bumper and go as a K.I.T.T. clone. :cool: This guy did one and I think ours would look even better on account of having the pop-up headlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grkAgayl2IA

I wholeheartedly endorse this idea.

XHawkeye
March 20th, 2023, 04:58 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fq8sBQTWAAIRhS2.jpg

The 1975 Chicago Auto Show just dropping the goddamn hammer of automotive excellence here … (https://twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1634573594029174788)

XHawkeye
March 22nd, 2023, 03:22 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FrHCl44aIAE7PV4.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/FrHCo5YaMAAwJHT.jpg

XHawkeye
March 22nd, 2023, 03:23 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FruvxMVXwAEEUzx.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/FruvxbfXwAEVgvW.jpg

XHawkeye
March 22nd, 2023, 03:24 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fruwei0WcAEEVVN.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fruweu5X0AAZJ1T.jpg

MR2 Fan
March 26th, 2023, 01:36 PM
I don't usually rate concept cars badly but this one is...pretty bad IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXAOp2VJZLc

XHawkeye
March 27th, 2023, 03:26 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FsKuT8eWAAEquaW.jpg

XHawkeye
April 1st, 2023, 06:18 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fsj0QODXsAU4Grx.jpg

https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic-auctions/2575-01-Apr-2023/1546~1-1996-jaguar-xj-32-executive

XHawkeye
April 1st, 2023, 06:19 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FsosxI-WcAYVwbr.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FsjUdD-XgAQDCA-.jpg

dodint
April 1st, 2023, 07:32 PM
Can't tell you how many times I have wanted to do that for a particularly difficult repair.

speedpimp
April 2nd, 2023, 02:06 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fsj0QODXsAU4Grx.jpg

https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic-auctions/2575-01-Apr-2023/1546~1-1996-jaguar-xj-32-executive

So they do sell Mary Kay in the UK.

XHawkeye
April 4th, 2023, 04:38 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fs322gIXsAMPNBE.jpg

In 1956, the buyer of a brand new 300 SL gullwing (then about a $8k car) took it to Von Dutch for a flame job, and there was a glorious angry freakout about it among Mercedes purists. (https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/1643242704992608257)

It was literally the first 300 SL dealer-sold in the USA, and he immediately had Von Dutch paint it candy red, which caused freakout #1; when that paint faded he took it back to Von Dutch and had him paint white flames over the faded paint, freakout #2

XHawkeye
April 5th, 2023, 04:11 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fs9uEAIWAAUHRrU.jpg

Pontiac Aztek v2.0

XHawkeye
April 5th, 2023, 04:11 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fs8PB1PXwAAbFZo.jpg

XHawkeye
April 5th, 2023, 04:13 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fs27qKYWYAIx72A.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fs27EaTWIAAorIV.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fs264UbWIAE6k1b.jpg

https://twitter.com/lovecarindustry

Kchrpm
April 5th, 2023, 05:35 PM
Those graphics are nice, makes it easier to understand what people are buying.

dodint
April 6th, 2023, 06:53 AM
I fail to understand why BMW needs to offer an X1/2/3/4/5/6/7 let alone the multitude of sedans.

Also interesting that the M2 is getting called fat. It was supposed to be the answer to the M3 becoming bloated. The first ones were the same size as the E36 coupes. Now they're bloated as well.

retsmah
April 8th, 2023, 03:55 PM
This isn't quite the car standing on it's nose, but we used to sometimes put our Formula car on it's side in the days before it had wings and undertrays getting in the way:

https://live.staticflickr.com/5086/5728468071_16f60e0dc5_k.jpg

This was more for showing the underside of the car in design judging, or if people were wanting to take a look, rather than working on it though.

XHawkeye
April 11th, 2023, 04:53 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FtEKSIUWABA8Odp.jpg

CudaMan
April 12th, 2023, 08:07 AM
This isn't quite the car standing on it's nose, but we used to sometimes put our Formula car on it's side in the days before it had wings and undertrays getting in the way:

Rad. Can you tell us why the control arms are wrapped in gold foil? I wouldn't have thought they would need it for heat rejection.

XHawkeye
April 12th, 2023, 03:23 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FtMPHVqWYAAh8yK.jpg

XHawkeye
April 13th, 2023, 03:42 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ftma7wjacAEypGd.jpg

XHawkeye
April 14th, 2023, 05:22 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ftr-2ELXwAQ4pP8.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ftn5N57WcAAzZl4.jpg

XHawkeye
April 17th, 2023, 04:54 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ft6egXyWcAE4fCD.jpg

JoshInKC
April 17th, 2023, 05:17 PM
"Nothing rides like a Pacer
'cause nothing's wide like a Pacer."

George
April 18th, 2023, 09:29 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ewV6e2d0Odk/Ubk9Oi445sI/AAAAAAAAJA8/yIB9-zoctao/s1600/widetrack.JPG

dodint
April 18th, 2023, 09:52 AM
They were still advertising Wide Track in the 90s, IIRC.

Yup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YlBh1TUcLo

XHawkeye
April 18th, 2023, 04:10 PM
I'm more of a VW guy, but catching up on the Uno/Panda matter, here's an example of what a phone company Uno can do when you get a ladder on the top. Hope you enjoy the ride! (https://twitter.com/gutokr/status/1643781684595249152) <--- Open for video

XHawkeye
April 20th, 2023, 06:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuF9CQMWAA4Sogc.jpg

XHawkeye
April 25th, 2023, 04:04 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FugClPAWIAAr7d3.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FugClPGWYAkW5Y5.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuizrXbaEAA8zoY.jpg

E38 vs G70

TheBenior
April 25th, 2023, 04:09 PM

Godson
April 25th, 2023, 05:35 PM
One has class, one looks like ass

21Kid
April 26th, 2023, 12:39 PM
LOL.
I was at a rental car place that had a Ford current/past photo of the new Shelby vs the old one.

Why on earth would you show how bad the new car looks in comparison?

speedpimp
April 26th, 2023, 03:32 PM
Nothing wrong with the '07. At least they brought the Shelby back on that model and not one of the SN95s.

XHawkeye
April 26th, 2023, 04:05 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fuo9cWgXgAAIRhb.jpg

XHawkeye
April 26th, 2023, 04:06 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuqTWIsXsAArFZv.jpg

Tom Servo
April 29th, 2023, 06:07 PM
Not to stomp on XHawkeye's toes...

https://i.redd.it/yh87er59ntwa1.jpg

neanderthal
April 29th, 2023, 07:06 PM
The E38/ 39/ 36 was peak BMW. The interiors didn't hold up in hot weather like So Cal, but they were beautiful and well executed. I love my F10 but ... i am still looking for a nice E39.
Sretens youtube channel does NOT help!!!

FaultyMario
April 29th, 2023, 08:16 PM
Can you guys gift me a XJS auto celebration?

kthnxby.

XHawkeye
May 1st, 2023, 04:02 PM
I remember this ad.

Not to stomp on XHawkeye's toes...

https://i.redd.it/yh87er59ntwa1.jpg

XHawkeye
May 1st, 2023, 04:03 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvDj7JaXgAAMn5h.jpg

XHawkeye
May 3rd, 2023, 05:09 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvNcBusWIAAxFIi.jpg

dodint
May 4th, 2023, 06:36 AM
For the Little Tyke, are those valve covers bread pans? :lol:

XHawkeye
May 4th, 2023, 05:08 PM
Now that you mention it, they are.

XHawkeye
May 4th, 2023, 05:11 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvThUYYX0AM_loS.jpg

https://t.co/KKFwaB8IHb

XHawkeye
May 4th, 2023, 05:12 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvRh1KjXgAM0b4T.jpg

https://fiatgroupworld.com/2023/05/03/these-were-the-worlds-top-500-best-selling-cars-in-2022/

Tom Servo
May 5th, 2023, 03:54 PM
In "things I didn't realize I was going to be saying but modern cars are modern" news, suddenly found the new Volvo had no internet connection. Resetting the head unit didn't fix it, so now I got to learn how to reset the TCAM. That did work, but I'm a little bummed to be getting to a place where I think maybe once a month I just need to reset all the things I know how to reset.

MR2 Fan
May 5th, 2023, 05:56 PM
The RAV-4 is the Wildlander in other markets? thats cool

CudaMan
May 6th, 2023, 06:30 AM
Auto dealer's service depts in 10 years: "Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?"

"Of course dummy, I turn it on at least twice a day!"

"No I mean this particular module, see here there's a secret menu..."

XHawkeye
May 6th, 2023, 05:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvS9D1YaMAEsNlS.jpg

A W124 Mercedes 300d 4matic front spring

Tom Servo
May 7th, 2023, 09:18 AM
Auto dealer's service depts in 10 years: "Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?"

"Of course dummy, I turn it on at least twice a day!"

"No I mean this particular module, see here there's a secret menu..."

Heh, you're definitely not wrong. If you turn the car off like normal, the main head unit and TCAM both keep running in the background in sleep mode. You have to hold down the "home" button on the head unit to reboot that, but it turns out the TCAM is on its own backup system (presumably so it can handle things like OTA updates while the head unit is restarting), and for that you intuitively have to hold down the windshield defroster button until the SOS light on the ceiling starts flashing.

I have no idea how I managed to find that bit of information in the massive manual, but it did save me a trip to the service department, so that's good.

speedpimp
May 7th, 2023, 03:29 PM

CudaMan
May 8th, 2023, 08:14 AM
You have to hold down the "home" button on the head unit to reboot that, but it turns out the TCAM is on its own backup system (presumably so it can handle things like OTA updates while the head unit is restarting), and for that you intuitively have to hold down the windshield defroster button until the SOS light on the ceiling starts flashing.

https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/wreckit_konami.jpg

Tom Servo
May 8th, 2023, 03:49 PM
Lol

Tom Servo
May 8th, 2023, 03:53 PM
Oof, also, had a screw get lodged into the right rear tire. It turns out tires for this beast are not inexpensive, and the tire couldn't be patched.

This sorta follows a theme with my family and new Volvos, we often end up with some sort of tire issue. When my dad bought one from the factory in Goteborg and was then supposed to pick us up in Oslo, one of the tires exploded on the way to the airport. There have been other, similar incidents with new Volvos in the family.

Hopefully that gets this one out of the way. At least the tire shop had a race-y Caterham in the lobby, the guy who helped me out said it's putting out around 270HP, which is plenty enough for a car that size.

JoeW
May 10th, 2023, 03:11 AM
https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/wreckit_konami.jpg

My wife and I met at a Tapper’s Pub here in Tampa :)

XHawkeye
May 11th, 2023, 04:14 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv25ssmWIAAGwGZ.jpg

MR2 Fan
May 11th, 2023, 05:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHIbvYWhaxA

XHawkeye
May 12th, 2023, 03:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvsLSJtaYAA1-jx.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvsLSWsaIAAJ_so.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvsLSjfaAAk6Kms.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvsLSvzaQAAgNnK.jpg

Sold from 1971-80, the Pinto was Ford's North American 'subcompact' and sold well, despite its reputation being tarnished by a series of horrific fires linked to the vulnerability of its fuel tank in a rear-end collision. The 1979 US line-up features here. (https://twitter.com/addict_car/status/1655929726475837440)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvsLTOracAMgPJ8.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvsLTbaacAELA8M.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvsLTnuaQAg0asR.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvsLT1zacAAzki6.jpg

The Pinto's horse-related name was chosen to signal a family link to the Mustang, and like all US small cars it had many appearance packages, including the new-for-79 ESS (European Sports Sedan). The Pinto wagon could also be ordered with a cruising look, with rear portholes.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvsLUW8acAg9ijl.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvsLUmjagAAkgpf.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvsLU3xagAEXwa1.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvsLVFIaQAE-Fe8.jpg

Alongside the 3-door liftback version the Pinto could also be ordered with a conventional boot, standard on the price-leading Pony model. The Pinto (and its Mercury Bobcat twin) would finally be replaced by the new front-drive Escort/Lynx 'world car' for the 1981 model year

dodint
May 13th, 2023, 07:14 PM
My Dad drove a Bobcat off a bridge and broke his back.