PDA

View Full Version : Petition to reinstate Jeremy Clarkson to Top Gear

LHutton
March 11th, 2015, 07:05 AM
Politically incorrect, brash, one of life's characters and the soul of Top Gear. He's a presenter not a role model.

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson

Kchrpm
March 11th, 2015, 07:23 AM
I'm not going to sign a petition saying "don't fire the guy who tried to punch a coworker," especially without knowing what really happened in the moment. They could replace him with some other TV presenter and they'd figure out a way to make the show just as good.

thesameguy
March 11th, 2015, 07:26 AM
I dunno. I'm kinda onboard with feeding the gremlins just to see what happens.

Tom Servo
March 11th, 2015, 07:36 AM
The BBC's in a nasty spot with this one. Of course he's one of the things that's made Top Gear so incredibly popular, but if they keep him on it's essentially saying that he can do whatever he wants, including trying to punch people, and nothing will happen to him.

Crazed_Insanity
March 11th, 2015, 07:39 AM
Clarkson is my favorite of the 3. Without him, Top Gear would be boring...

Why not just charge him with something and fine him. Suspending him's not going to do anyone any good.

If whatever he did was in fact so horrible and blatantly disregard BBC's own company rules, then fire the guy. I see no point of a suspension.

What is this? Some elementary school that you send bad kids to detention?

Wish they'd reveal to the public exactly what happened.

M4FFU
March 11th, 2015, 07:51 AM
He punched someone because he wasn’t fed on time.

Or, moreso:

He wants out of the BBC, Sky have offered him £ to go to them, needs to get out of BBC contract. This is a quicker way.

And who cares: better shows on youtube than TG.

MR2 Fan
March 11th, 2015, 08:00 AM
I agree with Billi (a very rare thing)...why not just give him a huge fine. By suspending him and not airing the show, they're putting fans of the show on his side and the network will suffer because of it.

Yw-slayer
March 11th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Fire the sensationalist, racist, mittelEnglander, bike-hating cunt.

The fact that Z07 wants him back on TG is icing on the cake.

Godson
March 11th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Fire the sensationalist, racist, mittelEnglander, bike-hating cunt.

The fact that Z07 wants him back on TG is icing on the cake.

Truth. Don't forget he talks ill of policemen and civil servants. He is a cancer and proud of it. Karma and reality need to pay him a visit.

Crazed_Insanity
March 11th, 2015, 09:25 AM
No hot catering food on location and he punched the assistant producer?

This must be some sort of joke?

Seems BBC doesn't like Clarkson and may simply use it to finally get rid of him.

Whatever.

Giant corporation and a multi-millionaire will be make a bit less money in the near future. OH well.

It's not like I'm a faithful regular top gear fan anyways...

Maybe Jay Leno can take over. They have similar looking chins and I'm sure Jay would be more politically correct!

thesameguy
March 11th, 2015, 10:12 AM
And who cares: better shows on youtube than TG.

Not sure, but this might be true.

I mostly lost interest in TG when Tiff left - I liked him. Clarkson can suck a dick for all I care. Really. TG might be better without him. But I'm totally okay with the notion of strong-arming the media into self destructive acts. :P

LHutton
March 11th, 2015, 10:37 AM
He punched someone because he wasn’t fed on time.
We all get kind of cranky when we haven't eaten for a while.:D

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jeremy-clarkson-suspended-by-bbc-top-gear-presenter-punched-producer-over-food-row-10099535.html

He also joked on Twitter about films that could replace Sunday's show, after May tweeted to his co-stars: "No Top Gear this weekend, apparently. How about 633 Squadron instead?"

Hammond replied: "No, surely, Last of the Summer Wine; no-one will notice the difference. Job done."

And Clarkson added: "I did some pretty good war documentaries. They could screen one of those."
:lol:

Blerpa
March 11th, 2015, 10:44 AM
I'm going to sign.
Either that or it would be fantastic if all the three left for Sky and did a show exactly the same but without the Stig (honestly... WHATEVER) and with just a different name.

Taimar
March 11th, 2015, 10:53 AM
In all honesty - fuck him. Fire him. Physically assaulting a co-worker at any workplace will get you fired.

I watched a bunch of Clarkson apologists pop up on my facebook feed yesterday complaining about how people are "too PC these days."

The man's a bigoted racist homophobe, and should have been cut loose years ago. I am "politically correct" when I speak about him with other people by calling him "Mr. Clarkson" and not "That bigoted racist homophobic fucker from that crap TV show."

And for posterity:

"Though I have never been a fan of New Labour's policies toward drivers and cars, and I support Jeremy Clarkson's rant against New Labour's asinine anti-speed measures, I will never again buy Top Gear thanks to him. I have no idea why Mr. Clarkson felt it necessary to impugn the rights of young homosexuals and make cracks about New Labour's higher-ups 'Going off to Tuscany with their boyfriends.' This didn't relate at all to the subject at hand and Mr. Clarkson has seemingly gone out of his way to insult the gay rights movement and homosexuals in general (even likening the struggle for gay rights to the plight of the fox)."

-BBC Top Gear International Edition, June, 2001

I haven't bought an issue or watched a full episode since.

Fire him.

Fast As Possible
March 11th, 2015, 10:56 AM
I say keep him, as a gay, multiracial, bigoted, racist, homophone.

Fast As Possible
March 11th, 2015, 10:56 AM
also 502 bad gateway

LHutton
March 11th, 2015, 12:33 PM
I say keep him, as a gay, multiracial, bigoted, racist, homophone.
Something tells me that 'n' was supposed to be a 'b'.:lol:

samoht
March 11th, 2015, 12:49 PM
I'm not going to sign a petition saying "don't fire the guy who tried to punch a coworker," especially without knowing what really happened in the moment.

+1

Fast As Possible
March 11th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Something tells me that 'n' was supposed to be a 'b'.:lol:
It was, and I caught it, but then thought homophone was funny.

Sad, little man
March 11th, 2015, 01:01 PM
He's a dickbag, and has a strong prejudice against anyone who isn't him.

Get rid of him.

Rikadyn
March 11th, 2015, 01:03 PM
He's a dickbag, and has a strong prejudice against anyone who isn't him.

Get rid of him.

Sounds like a lot of people here...

Sad, little man
March 11th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Yeah, but this place would be nothing without the dickbags that inhabit it.

SkylineObsession
March 11th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Everyone takes everything (almost) too seriously these days. I'm mainly referring to the little comments that only a few notice, but then they go ape about it and let the world know.

Clarkson probably does walk the line a bit, but i find him funny the rest of the time.

P.S. I'm very anti-racist/sexist/carist/ageist and all the other 'ists' too, and i know a joke when i see one. People just seem to overlook the jokes about normal people.

Yw-slayer
March 11th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Nah, he's just a cunt. He clearly believes in several of the "jokes", and/or a lot of MittelEnglanders and closed-minded assholes think he's being serious.

Rare White Ape
March 12th, 2015, 02:42 AM
He's popular because he rattles cages on one side, and says things that the other side just love to hear. He's like the alpha troll.

But do you know where he gets his power from?

Threads like this, petitions, and endless Facebook discussions where he is the centre of attention.

He gets his power from us and others like us. If you take that away he has nothing, but unfortunately that will never happen. He's like Britain's own Kanye West; forever famous despite himself.

As for Top Gear, I'm surprised there wasn't an episode years ago where they were instructed to build a car that could drive on water and jump over sharks.

harper
March 12th, 2015, 02:43 AM
Everyone takes everything (almost) too seriously these days. I'm mainly referring to the little comments that only a few notice, but then they go ape about it and let the world know.

Clarkson probably does walk the line a bit, but i find him funny the rest of the time.

P.S. I'm very anti-racist/sexist/carist/ageist and all the other 'ists' too, and i know a joke when i see one. People just seem to overlook the jokes about normal people.

Yes but

this wasn't his first offense. And while the BBC will surely do an investigation, it appears it's not just another "joke," but PUNCHING A CO-WORKER.

It's easy for me to wince away some bad references or jokes from time to time since I'm also a white dude of Anglo descent, but it's undeniable he has gotten himself into trouble in the past and that this very well may be the final straw - that he isn't the target of a withchhunt, or of people being "too PC," but of being an idiot in too many ways. He made his situation, now he has to roll around and lie in it.

LHutton
March 12th, 2015, 03:57 AM
I'm betting it wasn't what you and I would call a punch.

Yw-slayer
March 12th, 2015, 07:00 AM
He's popular because he rattles cages on one side, and says things that the other side just love to hear. He's like the alpha troll.

But do you know where he gets his power from?

Threads like this, petitions, and endless Facebook discussions where he is the centre of attention.

He gets his power from us and others like us. If you take that away he has nothing, but unfortunately that will never happen. He's like Britain's own Kanye West; forever famous despite himself.

As for Top Gear, I'm surprised there wasn't an episode years ago where they were instructed to build a car that could drive on water and jump over sharks.

Exactly. Hence I'm unsurprised that Z07 wants him back. Fuck Top Years. Fifth Gear was better.

Kchrpm
March 12th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Autoblog reporting that the rest of the season has been cancelled.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/12/bbc-cancel-top-gear-season-clarkson-fracas-report/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

Godson
March 12th, 2015, 07:32 AM
I'm betting it wasn't what you and I would call a punch.

It does not matter how light, hard, or anything it is. Contact with another person when it is not welcomed is assault and battery in the states. You can be fined and even imprisoned for stuff like this. Stop trying to dissect a situation you know nothing about, regarding people you don't know.

Crazed_Insanity
March 12th, 2015, 07:54 AM
Sigh... another 'traffic situation'...

However, this time, no matter how lightly and jokingly he punched the guy, I think it's safe to perceive it as a 'violent act' this time!

Still, I can't imagine what the future of entertainment would be like if everyone is expected to be so politically correct. There'd be a bunch of boring shows.

Leon
March 12th, 2015, 10:32 AM
If he genuinely took a swing at a co-worker, he rates firing.

I don't care how much money he brings in, there really is no excuse for behaving like that, so there should be repercussions.

LHutton
March 12th, 2015, 12:00 PM
It does not matter how light, hard, or anything it is. Contact with another person when it is not welcomed is assault and battery in the states. You can be fined and even imprisoned for stuff like this. Stop trying to dissect a situation you know nothing about, regarding people you don't know.
Wow, there'd be fines every millisecond during typical tube commuting in London.

Kchrpm
March 12th, 2015, 12:13 PM
I see your pedantic tweezers are in fine working order, able to look past what is obviously the point of what someone is saying and grab at any tiny strand you can find to try and unravel it.

We don't know what happened. It sounds like he got physical with a coworker, and his employers decided that he had been given enough rope over the years, that this was a step too far.

Why would you sign a petition without knowing what REALLY happened? Just like I wouldn't sign a petition saying they should fire him with the amount of information available, to me it's just another case of internet commenters going off half-cocked because they're more interested in acting on the dialogue and agenda they want to push, rather than actually understanding the specific case they're railing on.

LHutton
March 12th, 2015, 12:19 PM
His 2 colleagues seem to support him, so that's probably evidence that it wasn't what's being claimed.

Anyway, nearly 800,000 signatures.

http://laviemegan.umwblogs.org/files/2011/03/topgearloser.gif

LHutton
March 12th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Fifth Gear was better.
Hence why it's still such a popular show.

Kchrpm
March 12th, 2015, 12:48 PM
It doesn't bother me if he comes back on the show or not, though the two people who he has help made rich and famous supporting him isn't that surprising.

What would surprise me, though, is if the BBC comes out and says "well our investigation revealed that Jeremy really did act like a cunt and intended to cause physical harm to a producer, but we saw that internet petition and figured that was an more important factor."

LHutton
March 12th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Or maybe they investigate with other workers who figure out that their job is under threat and side with JC regardless.

MR2 Fan
March 12th, 2015, 01:58 PM
This may be a mental deficiency on my part, but I wouldn't care if it was Clarkson's show by himself. It's the interaction between him, the hamster and captain slow that make the show worth it. I can't imagine another host replacement to work with those guys and be as interesting.

Fast As Possible
March 12th, 2015, 02:11 PM
I like James May but Hammond is a bit generic.

Yw-slayer
March 12th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Yes, internet petitions really make a HUGE difference.

I'm going to ignore this stupid thread now, just like j should have in the first place and as I should with all of Z07's posts.

TheBenior
March 12th, 2015, 06:41 PM
It doesn't bother me if he comes back on the show or not, though the two people who he has help made rich and famous supporting him isn't that surprising.

What would surprise me, though, is if the BBC comes out and says "well our investigation revealed that Jeremy really did act like a cunt and intended to cause physical harm to a producer, but we saw that internet petition and figured that was an more important factor."

Rikadyn
March 12th, 2015, 08:32 PM
This may be a mental deficiency on my part, but I wouldn't care if it was Clarkson's show by himself. It's the interaction between him, the hamster and captain slow that make the show worth it. I can't imagine another host replacement to work with those guys and be as interesting.

Modern day 3 stooges

LHutton
March 13th, 2015, 02:21 AM

Revenue might be an important factor though.

Kchrpm
March 13th, 2015, 06:35 AM
I'm not saying they won't reinstate him, I don't know or care based on the knowledge I have of the situation, I'm saying the petition will have close to if not zero affect on it.

LHutton
March 14th, 2015, 07:19 AM
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a508/sigmafour1/5thgear_zps9zc1ndmr.png (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/sigmafour1/media/5thgear_zps9zc1ndmr.png.html)

LHutton
March 14th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Looks like it's definitely over. I'm not really sure what I pay a TV license fee for anymore but in fairness, it was a proper punch, so there weren't really any other options left. BBC is really going to suck from here on in, they don't really have anything left to offer, apart from horribly slanted news stories and repeats.

UPDATE: Jeremy Clarkson Quits Top Gear, Show Cancelled for Good

Petrolheads all over, ladies and gents that enjoyed Top Gear's "ambitious but rubbish" take on all things automotive, it pains us to announce that Jeremy Clarkson calls it quits in his column in The Sun.

In a piece titled "So we lose the tiger... but gain acid-spit snail," Jeremy Clarkson talks about nature's battle against extinction and the future of the Top Gear trio. Without further ado, this is how Jezza broke the silence in his most recent column for the tabloid:

"I THINK it’s fair to say that nature made a mistake when it invented the dinosaur. It was too big, too violent and with such small and puny arms it was never going to be able to operate heavy machinery or even enjoy a bit of special “me” time." Pretty easy to understand, but we haven't even got to the most tear-jearking part yet.

“All the dinosaurs died and now, years later, no-one mourns their passing. These big, imposing creatures have no place in a world which has moved on.” What these two lines point at is the dying of Top Gear as a show and how the presenter will have to move on.

Despite 880,000-plus signatures for the #BringBackClarkson petition, Jezza suggests that all our efforts were in vain: “You can start as many campaigns as you like and call on the support of politicians from all sides, but the day must come when you have to wave goodbye to the big monsters, and move on.”This is the end and we can't do anything about it...

Fingers crossed other British broadcasting companies will bite his arm off and Clarkson will convice May and Hammond to start a new motoring show from square one. It will be hard to convince those two to jump on the bandwagon, but it won't be impossible.

Even if not for May and Hammond, if Jeremy will make a pay-per-view YouTube channel and continue filming car reviews, it'll still be enough to soothe our fevered petrolhead brows. Best of luck, Jezza!
UPDATE: Captain Slow confirmed that Top Gear is kaput in a not-so-cryptic manner.

UPDATE 2: The Mirror reports that "Jeremy Clarkson called Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon 'a lazy Irish ****," and that "Clarkson ranted for half an hour then punched him in the mouth - he was bleeding and dizzy so he had to go to hospital." In related Jeremy Clarkson news, bbc.co.uk was offline this afternoon, possibly because digital protest group Anonymous threatened an attack on the site a few days ago.

JoshInKC
March 14th, 2015, 11:32 AM
So I can't tell if he's saying the show is a dinosaur, or if he's the dinosaur in the metaphor. If it's the latter, that's pretty funny in light of what I know of his viewpoints.

Kchrpm
March 14th, 2015, 12:10 PM
This is the Mirror article mentioned:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarkson-called-top-gear-5330155

LHutton
March 14th, 2015, 12:23 PM
I do suspect this was more than a one-off spat between the two. I get the impression bad blood had been building up between the two for some time. You don't punch someone you have a good relationship with over one cock-up. I suspect this guy had been a lazy cunt for some time and persistently wound up other staff, hence why nobody on the team seems to have sided with him. You can never condone punching someone, but the idea that it happened over next to nothing doesn't seem very plausible.

Kchrpm
March 14th, 2015, 01:31 PM
The idea it happened over nothing when Clarkson was drunk, tired, angry at the day and hungry (not to mention entitled) seems plausible to me.

Blerpa
March 14th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Well, you can still watch that abysmal politically correct manure that was Top Gear USA...

LHutton
March 14th, 2015, 02:34 PM
The idea it happened over nothing when Clarkson was drunk, tired, angry at the day and hungry (not to mention entitled) seems plausible to me.
Heh. Well that is how the media tends to portray these things. The victim is always a saint. Drunk, tired, angry, hungry and entitled just doesn't explain punching someone over the wrong meal.

speedpimp
March 14th, 2015, 03:13 PM

So he was hungy and threw a fit when he couldn't get his nom noms.

Rare White Ape
March 14th, 2015, 03:18 PM
I can sort-of understand it. Catering served cold meats for fuck's sake.

Dicknose
March 14th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Tv is an environment where some people are treated like gods and that everyone else is a pleb.
Combine this with the wrong personality traits and its a dangerous environment.
Lots of money is involved. That twists it.

As much as I like the show, no one should be allowed to bully or physically assault someone at work.

Tom Servo
March 14th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Indeed, I've had a number of contentions meetings at work and have managed to avoid coming to blows in 100% of said meetings. It's a TV show. It's not war or surgery, it's just a show about cars. Unless the producer had somehow put them in immediate danger by, say, failing to negotiate them around west Indian Ocean pirates or getting them cars with non-working brakes, I can't imagine what justifies punching a coworker.

harper
March 14th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Indeed, I've had a number of contentions meetings at work and have managed to avoid coming to blows in 100% of said meetings. It's a TV show. It's not war or surgery, it's just a show about cars. Unless the producer had somehow put them in immediate danger by, say, failing to negotiate them around west Indian Ocean pirates or getting them cars with non-working brakes, I can't imagine what justifies punching a coworker.

plus

Tv is an environment where some people are treated like gods and that everyone else is a pleb.
Combine this with the wrong personality traits and its a dangerous environment.
Lots of money is involved. That twists it.

As much as I like the show, no one should be allowed to bully or physically assault someone at work.

It will be sad to see it go, but it's been 18 or 19 series by now and sometimes you just need to say goodbye. It's too good a concept to go unused in the future though.

Kchrpm
March 14th, 2015, 08:09 PM
There are so many different shows like it all over the place, it would be weird if the BBC *didn't* have one, with whatever name.

Hell, maybe with new hosts/writers/producers it will be less obviously scripted.

LHutton
March 15th, 2015, 04:34 AM
There isn't any justification for it but I think there's a second side to this story that hasn't been mentioned, simply because it isn't perceived as appropriate to question the conduct of a victim.

Godson
March 15th, 2015, 12:25 PM
You really are that dense aren't you.

LHutton
March 15th, 2015, 01:43 PM
I'd just be surprised if that was everything that happened. That's pretty damn crazy for a guy his age. That said sacking him will hurt the rest of the team more than him and that's the tragedy of it.

Rikadyn
March 15th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Honestly given the sources we've seen run the story, I'm not gonna believe anything either way at this point, but Top Gear is dead. The name may continue but it won't be worth watching most likely, it will just be another dull ass review show and given the current climate, probably focus on being eco-friendly.

tigeraid
March 16th, 2015, 11:57 AM
http://jalopnik.com/jeremy-clarksons-i-quit-top-gear-column-is-from-1999-e-1691668505

Jeremy Clarkson's 'I Quit Top Gear' Column Is From 1999, Everyone. 1999.

Thanks to some clickbaiting* assholes at an obscure car website who took his allusion-heavy Sun column as fact for the sake of Internet traffic, everybody thinks Clarkson is quitting Top Gear for good and that the show is canceled forever. In reality, none of that has been confirmed or even hinted at by any other sources. 2

It also doesn't help things that Clarkson wrote this other column about leaving Top Gear, and it's making the rounds also as supposed proof that the show is done for good. Just one problem: that column is from March 1999, where it appeared in Top Gear Magazine and was republished online at some point.

That's right. 1999, not 2015. It's from the first time he left Top Gear, only to return for its 2002 relaunch. But the problem with writing for the Internet is that nobody actually bothers to read things on the Internet, so it's being taken as a resignation notice from this year, despite two notes on the date and references to cars like the Cadillac Seville and Vauxhall Vectra. (Spoiler alert, they don't make those anymore.)

So..... Maybe? :twitch:

thesameguy
March 16th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Wait, they don't make the Seville anymore? Since when?

tigeraid
March 16th, 2015, 02:51 PM

thesameguy
March 16th, 2015, 03:26 PM
I'm going to start a petition to force them to start making them again.

LHutton
March 17th, 2015, 03:08 AM
Honestly given the sources we've seen run the story, I'm not gonna believe anything either way at this point, but Top Gear is dead. The name may continue but it won't be worth watching most likely, it will just be another dull ass review show and given the current climate, probably focus on being eco-friendly.
They should just give the guy a few hundred hours community service and keep the show running. That would be a more effective punishment without screwing over the rest of the workers in the process.

Crazed_Insanity
March 17th, 2015, 08:15 AM
It's dead Jim. No amount of petition will bring it back!

speedpimp
March 18th, 2015, 03:53 PM
Bring it back with the American hosts.

Jason
March 18th, 2015, 03:57 PM
I've never really understood his popularity, personally. I mean, he's ok, but not the rockstar he's made out to be.

speedpimp
March 18th, 2015, 04:30 PM
As popular as he is you'd have thought he'd made a sex tape with Ray J.

Rikadyn
March 18th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Bring it back with the American hosts.

there is a way to guarantee no one watches it ever again

Blerpa
March 18th, 2015, 11:17 PM
Mind, it's the Mirror...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/top-gears-richard-hammond-james-5360997?ICID=FB_mirror_main

LHutton
March 19th, 2015, 01:10 AM
http://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-news/co-hosts-declined-top-gear-offer-11363969309217

Hammond and May decline to continue without JC.

MR2 Fan
March 19th, 2015, 06:44 AM
there is a way to guarantee no one watches it ever again

Agreed, we already have a fake top gear with American hosts.

Kchrpm
March 19th, 2015, 06:50 AM
I like the American Top Gear. They do some dumb American TV things (overly recapping after commercials, too much voice over explanation), but I like the personalities of the hosts and think they're doing a good job with the formula (skipping the in-studio stuff since they have less time).

novicius
March 19th, 2015, 07:43 AM
Eh, just re-cast the show.

It's obvious Clarkson wants out of his contract, the others won't film without him (nor do they need the money), just do a three show retrospective saying good-bye and godspeed and then get it on with three new hosts next season. Freshness, maybe a burning shitshow, who knows? Throw money at a "name" like Russell Brand or (cheaper) some up-and-comer like (mild) Sean Lock or (fierce) Tommy Tiernan.

Leon
March 19th, 2015, 09:46 AM
I like the American Top Gear. They do some dumb American TV things (overly recapping after commercials, too much voice over explanation), but I like the personalities of the hosts and think they're doing a good job with the formula (skipping the in-studio stuff since they have less time).

Agreed on the positives and the negatives you raise.

Best thing the US show did was dropping the studio segment, as they were tragically bad at it.

speedpimp
March 19th, 2015, 10:31 AM
I wonder if Vicki Butler-Henderson is free.

Kchrpm
March 19th, 2015, 10:33 AM
She's doing the German Top Gear, I thought.

Edit: I'm an idiot, I read VBH and thought Sabine.

Edit: VBH is married to one of Top Gear's producers, so I'm sure they could get her if they really wanted.

speedpimp
March 19th, 2015, 10:35 AM
I like the American version as well. Wonder how it would go over with the Brits.

Rare White Ape
March 19th, 2015, 01:26 PM
VBH is on Fifth Gear along with Tiffany Dell and that young guy and that other old guy.

Top Gear in any other form just wouldn't work. It works with the Poms because of the banter and on screen chemistry between the hosts. Other Top Gears have been universally terrible and wouldn't go down well at all in the UK.

LHutton
March 20th, 2015, 07:25 AM
https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson/u/10112331?tk=jQ9nIXCU1OrOPFyOaRQxOBhn5fIXx365DMay3w 5XJFY&utm_source=petition_update&utm_medium=email

19 Mar 2015 — Tomorrow (Friday) Stig is taking our petition to the BBC, we need 20,000 more signatures to make it a million strong.

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson

997,367 supporters

LHutton
March 20th, 2015, 07:27 AM
VBH is on Fifth Gear along with Tiffany Dell and that young guy and that other old guy.
Jason Plato?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Plato

Steve Sutcliffe
http://www.autocar.co.uk/users/steve-sutcliffe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Sutcliffe

Leon
March 20th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Haven't seen Plato in 5th Gear yet this season (have seen the first two episodes)

LHutton
March 21st, 2015, 01:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOaOQzho6nI

http://www1.theladbible.com/images/content/630w/550c16381d201.jpg

Kchrpm
March 25th, 2015, 06:46 AM
BBC officially fires Jeremy Clarkson, is deciding on how to release final two episodes of the current season, and how to proceed with the next season.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/25/jeremy-clarkson-fired-bbc-releases-investigation-report/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

Tom Servo
March 25th, 2015, 06:55 AM
I'm casting my vote for Jimmy Carr.

Kchrpm
March 25th, 2015, 06:55 AM
The report: http://jalopnik.com/bbc-clarkson-berated-and-assaulted-producer-reported-1693558651

novicius
March 25th, 2015, 07:14 AM
Jeremy Clarkson is gonna get a new show called "Bloomin' Bloody Cars" or somesuch for 10x the money on a cable network inside of 12 months. #shrug #finallyallowedtoswear

"The Top Gear Show + The Stig" is gonna continue with 2-3 fresh (much younger) faces and will live as long as the viewers tune in. Expect to see more X-TREEME shorts.

Yw-slayer
March 25th, 2015, 07:22 AM
Just dropping in to say:

1. HA HA.

2. Fuck all the idiots (including Z07) who wanted him to be reinstated despite what he did. Perhaps they'd understand if they were verbally abused and beaten by an arrogant cunt like Clarkson.

3. Fuck even more the idiots who issued death threats to the producer. Perhaps they'd understand if their innocent families were also subjected to death threats.

4. HA HA.

5. Fuck Z07.

Rikadyn
March 25th, 2015, 07:54 AM
Just dropping in to say:

1. HA HA.

2. Fuck all the idiots (including Z07) who wanted him to be reinstated despite what he did. Perhaps they'd understand if they were verbally abused and beaten by an arrogant cunt like Clarkson.

3. Fuck even more the idiots who issued death threats to the producer. Perhaps they'd understand if their innocent families were also subjected to death threats.

4. HA HA.

5. Fuck Z07.

Now, tell us how you really feel...

thesameguy
March 25th, 2015, 08:36 AM
Jeremy Clarkson is gonna get a new show called "Bloomin' Bloody Cars" or somesuch for 10x the money on a cable network inside of 12 months. #shrug #finallyallowedtoswear

You forgot #howardstern

Phil_SS
March 25th, 2015, 08:47 AM
What more could you expect from The Orangutan.....

I don't believe Clarkson should have kept his job. Maybe, if this was his first incident, then maybe, but it isn't and he should have been let go.

I will continue to watch a car show hosted by him in the future. And I feel all three, May, Hammond and Clarkson will have their own show in the future. Question will be, can they get the same production value from that network? I doubt it as I don't see any potential network having the funding and worldwide exposure as the BBC.

Maybe Discovery Channel or how bout Al Jazeera, :lol:

Blerpa
March 25th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Nice, so now we will be able to see Clarkson, May and Hammond in a proper no-holds barred tv show.
Bye BBC :) I didn't give much of a damn if he would eventually get fired and get out of the show.
Those three are the show, not Top Gear in itself, nor bloody boring Stig antics (MEH).

Phil: there are already rumours of Netflix and HBO going to fight to get Clarkson on board. And that's dismissing BSkyB UK. I bet he (and the two other stoogies) will be mightly fine.

LHutton
March 25th, 2015, 10:08 AM
I'm purposefully not watching 5th Gear, just for capitalising on this and the new Top Gear will also not be watched, along with much of the BBC, or the 'Repeats and Terrible News' channel, as it's also known. If BBC do another feature on 'Benefits Britain', they should feature themselves. They take a TV license every year and provide nothing of any value to society.

Freude am Fahren
March 25th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Clearly they should do a show on washing the sand out of your vagina.

Kchrpm
March 25th, 2015, 11:19 AM
They showed how much better a Stingray was than a Cayman, I'm fine with them ending the show at this point ;)

Seriously, though, it's just a TV show. It will continue on in some form, the three guys will continue to be paid handsomely to do something similar, and people of all ilks will continue to make their own version of the formula on TV and the internet around the world. There will be no great loss from this to anyone.

MR2 Fan
March 25th, 2015, 12:03 PM
isn't Sky owned by Rupert Murcdoch? That sounds like a match made in heaven

LHutton
March 25th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Clearly they should do a show on washing the sand out of your vagina.
If they did, they'd still be showing repeats of it in the year 2040 AD.

Leon
March 25th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Seriously, though, it's just a TV show. It will continue on in some form, the three guys will continue to be paid handsomely to do something similar, and people of all ilks will continue to make their own version of the formula on TV and the internet around the world. There will be no great loss from this to anyone.

Agreed, this is the entirely rational and calm reaction to these happenings.

Yw-slayer
March 25th, 2015, 05:47 PM
The thing that pleases me the most about this decision is that LHutton and losers like him are actually dismayed and displeased. :lol:

overpowered
March 25th, 2015, 10:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6cfFnBNELs

Rikadyn
March 26th, 2015, 03:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlT7Ku_UDoc

LHutton
March 26th, 2015, 04:57 AM
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32062579

Jeremy Clarkson: Return not ruled out, says senior BBC figure

LHutton
March 26th, 2015, 05:00 AM
The thing that pleases me the most about this decision is that LHutton and losers like him are actually dismayed and displeased. :lol:
Well all that's left now is Fifth Gear, aka 'Failed Racing Drivers R Us'.

Not to mention, some people are so dumb they'd rather pay £100m extra in combined taxes every year, just because two adults had a one-off scuffle, and one of them is terribly upsetting to their fragile sensibilities.

Yw-slayer
March 26th, 2015, 06:37 AM
Don't care, as long as you and people like you are unhappy then that's a Win in my book. Fuck Clarkson and fuck you and people like you lol

Godson
March 26th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Don't care, as long as you and people like you are unhappy then that's a Win in my book. Fuck Clarkson and fuck you and people like you lol

This for 2015 post of the year.

LHutton
March 26th, 2015, 08:19 AM
And presumably 'fuck the country and everyone who has to pay to fill the gap'? Some people just aren't capable of rational decision making. You feeling good for 5 minutes costs £100m.

Crazed_Insanity
March 26th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Top Gear probably will survive. Jeremy probably will survive. Yw probably will survive. Lhutton probably will survive.

Let it go. Let it go. Do we really need to continue to talk about this anymore?

Yeti
March 26th, 2015, 09:51 AM
I will say that I agree with the firing, and that Clarkson's behavior was shit.

But

http://i.imgur.com/ATSyFqz.jpg

kekekekekeke!

Blerpa
March 26th, 2015, 09:54 AM
I'm not unhappy... I'm the happiest ever! The three cunts will find another place to do a similar show, with less restrictions and maybe we will finally lose the boring Stig antics. Win-Win.
Oh, and yes, probably Clarkson deserved to be fired.

MR2 Fan
March 26th, 2015, 10:03 AM

:up:

LHutton
March 26th, 2015, 12:01 PM
I will say that I agree with the firing, and that Clarkson's behavior was shit.

But

http://i.imgur.com/ATSyFqz.jpg

kekekekekeke!

Abso-fucking-lutely! The BBC (and MI5 too) covered up Jimmy Saville abusing a few hundred (at least) kids whilst in their employ, so a scuffle with a colleague should've been quite a trivial matter to suppress surely.

Honestly, I don't think the BBC should be allowed to continue operating given the Jimmy Saville incident, they're organisationally guilty of mass child prostitution and aiding and abetting a paedophile. Get them the fuck off my damn TV.

Rare White Ape
March 26th, 2015, 12:52 PM
They make really good documentaries though.

Rikadyn
March 26th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Funny thing about the uproar is that Jezza has pretty much accepted it was his fault since turning himself in

Yw-slayer
March 26th, 2015, 06:05 PM
And presumably 'fuck the country and everyone who has to pay to fill the gap'? Some people just aren't capable of rational decision making. You feeling good for 5 minutes costs £100m.

Don't care. I have felt great since the news was announced and hence for a lot longer than 5 minutes.

Again, fuck Clarkson, fuck you and fuck people like you.

Yeti
March 26th, 2015, 06:24 PM
The Last Ever Top Gear (https://youtu.be/iLRna0RRvxo)

Freude am Fahren
March 26th, 2015, 06:42 PM
Funny thing about the uproar is that Jezza has pretty much accepted it was his fault since turning himself in

That's true, and he's also come out and said not to blame or go after the producer, whatever his funny name is.

Taimar
March 26th, 2015, 08:22 PM

Yup. :up::up:

IMOA
March 27th, 2015, 05:37 PM
I still think the whole thing was somewhat engineered by clarkson to get out of a show before it got completely stake. The other two will go with him to Netflix or wherever and have a shot at a bit of a reboot to keep it going for another 5 years which just wasn't going to happen with the current formula on the BBC.

MR2 Fan
March 27th, 2015, 09:50 PM
http://img-9gag-ftw.9cache.com/photo/aqNX92Z_460s.jpg

Yw-slayer
March 27th, 2015, 09:50 PM
It's possible.

However, I have found it even more hilarious that in his time of despair he has been riding around London on a bike. :lol:

This is an oldie but goodie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CnMQ4L9Pc

LHutton
March 28th, 2015, 03:27 AM
They make really good documentaries though.
Yeah, a lot of them recently were about trying to explain how they let Jimmy Saville get away with abusing kids. Fuck the BBC and all the paedophiles who support them.

overpowered
March 28th, 2015, 07:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cE3q5PpWx0

FaultyMario
March 28th, 2015, 07:30 AM
all the paedophiles who support them.

Wouldn't that include YOU?

LHutton
March 28th, 2015, 07:56 AM
Wouldn't that include YOU?
I wouldn't support the BBC no. Top Gear was about the only decent thing they had but after the Saville incident, I honestly think they're too questionable to allow to continue operating. There's simply no way nobody knew but nobody did anything. And of course there's a typical 30 year waiting period until it's finally made public... after he dies. Great country this... LOL.

FaultyMario
March 28th, 2015, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't support the BBC no.

You don't pay a licence?

LHutton
March 29th, 2015, 12:37 AM
You don't pay a licence?
Not through choice. Unfortunately it's mandatory by law in the UK, otherwise you can't watch any channel, not even Sky channels. It's a blackmail/extortion thing. I'd stop paying tomorrow if I could do it without incurring a large fine or jail time. Look at it as TV tax.

FaultyMario
March 29th, 2015, 04:49 AM
So, by your own admission, you are a paedophile. Albeit, not by choice.

Rikadyn
March 29th, 2015, 05:31 AM
So a catholic then...

MR2 Fan
March 29th, 2015, 08:42 AM
So a catholic then...

:snap:

LHutton
March 29th, 2015, 09:03 AM
So, by your own admission, you are a paedophile. Albeit, not by choice.
To put it accurately, if I want to have a TV at all, I am required by law to fund an organisation who deliberately covered up child sexual abuse and therefore may or may not be paedophiles themselves. I pay to watch TV, I know not where my money goes, which is why I'd like the BBC shutdown, just to make sure. I'm sure you'd agree, their indiscretion is relative huge compared to Clarkson's.

So a catholic then...
If we're being technical, surely it would be Muslim based on the Rotherham and Sheffield scandals, which again were largely covered up/ignored by the police to 'avoid racial tension', not to mention the legal age of consent/marriage in many Middle Eastern/Asian countries.

The359
March 29th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Your money is going to the BBC. What do you mean you don't know where it goes? That's like not wanting to pay any government taxes because you don't know how they're going to use it.

LHutton
March 29th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Your money is going to the BBC. What do you mean you don't know where it goes? That's like not wanting to pay any government taxes because you don't know how they're going to use it.
Not directly. It goes to central government first, regarded as a tax, and hence not paying it is tax evasion, punishable by a huge fine, up to 5 figures and/or prison. Some of that money is used for other things as part of the general pot, and some goes to the BBC, a portion of the money that goes to the BBC may have historically been used to fund Mr. Saville and may continue to fund those who turned a deliberate blind eye.

I would personally prefer to shutdown the BBC and save £150/year. It no longer has anything that I want to watch and is a waste of my money.

The359
March 29th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Let's use that logic and apply it to the equvilant scandal in the US that occured around the same time. Anyone who pays a Penn State University tuition, or funds the university through donations or grants, doesn't exactly know where their money goes within the University, and therefore may have funded the sports program which in turn may have funded Mr. Sandusky while he was abusing children on Penn State property, and may or may not fund people who may have known about this incidents and turned a deliberate blind eye. Therefore we should shut down Penn State.

No.

The funding of the BBC seems to be quite public, where the money goes is pretty transparent. Claiming you don't know where your money goes is rubbish. I can absolutely guarentee you that some of your tax money, and of your tax money, is funding a paedophile somewhere in your country. That doesn't mean you shut down the government.

Should I stop paying taxes because I don't use all the national transportation networks that it funds?

Leon
March 29th, 2015, 10:20 AM
This thread is getting completely out of hand, and people are fixating on details, while missing the actual point*

*oh wait, we're on the internet, that's just how it goes!

KillerB
March 29th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Seriously, why do you all keep feeding him? On any topic?

LHutton
March 29th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Let's use that logic and apply it to the equvilant scandal in the US that occured around the same time. Anyone who pays a Penn State University tuition, or funds the university through donations or grants, doesn't exactly know where their money goes within the University, and therefore may have funded the sports program which in turn may have funded Mr. Sandusky while he was abusing children on Penn State property, and may or may not fund people who may have known about this incidents and turned a deliberate blind eye. Therefore we should shut down Penn State.

No.

The funding of the BBC seems to be quite public, where the money goes is pretty transparent. Claiming you don't know where your money goes is rubbish. I can absolutely guarentee you that some of your tax money, and of your tax money, is funding a paedophile somewhere in your country. That doesn't mean you shut down the government.

Should I stop paying taxes because I don't use all the national transportation networks that it funds?
Mr. Saville was somewhat more prolific and sustained I'm afraid. This wasn't a case of someone doing something undetected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Savile

By 19 October 2012, police were pursuing 400 lines of inquiry based on testimony from 200 witnesses via 14 police forces across the UK. They described the alleged abuse as "on an unprecedented scale", and the number of potential victims as "staggering".[118] Investigations, codenamed Operation Yewtree, were opened to identify criminal conduct related to Savile's activities by the Metropolitan Police and the Crown Prosecution Service into why a prosecution had been dropped as unlikely to succeed in 2009.[14][15] By 25 October, police reported the number of possible victims was approaching 300.[11]

On 12 November 2012, the Metropolitan Police announced the scale of sexual allegations reported against Savile was "unprecedented" in Britain: a total of 450 alleged victims had contacted the police in the ten weeks since the investigation was launched. Officers recorded 199 crimes in 17 police force areas in which Savile was a suspect, among them 31 allegations of rape in seven force areas.[119] Analysis of the report showed 82% of those who came forward to report abuse were female and 80% were children or young people at the time of the incidents.[120]

The developing scandal led to inquiries into practices at the BBC and the National Health Service. It was alleged that rumours of Savile's activities had circulated at the BBC in the 1960s and 1970s, but no action had been taken. Savile was trusted with keys and unsupervised access to patients including the mentally and physically disabled at some hospitals.

In January 2013, a joint report by the NSPCC and Metropolitan Police, "Giving Victims a Voice", stated that 450 people had made complaints against Savile, with the period of alleged abuse stretching from 1955 to 2009 and the ages of the complainants at the time of the assaults ranging from eight to forty-seven.[17][18] The suspected victims included 28 children aged under 10, including 10 boys aged as young as eight. A further 63 were girls aged between 13 and 16 and nearly three-quarters of his victims were under 18. Some 214 criminal offences were recorded, with 34 rapes having been reported across 28 police forces.[19]

Honours and awards[edit]
In the 1972 New Year Honours, Savile was appointed Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire,[152] entitled to append "OBE" to his signature.
In the 1990 Queen's Birthday Honours he was made a Knight Bachelor "for charitable services",[153] entitled to use the honorific prefix "Sir". Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher had made four attempts to have him knighted before succeeding in her final year in office.[154] Following the allegations of sexual abuse, British Prime Minister David Cameron suggested in October 2012 that it would be possible for Savile's honours to be rescinded by the Honours Forfeiture Committee. A Cabinet Office spokesman said that there was no procedure to posthumously revoke an OBE or knighthood, as these honours automatically expire when a person dies, but that the committee might consider introducing a process to do so in the light of Savile's case.[155]
Savile was honoured with a Papal knighthood by being made a Knight Commander of the Pontifical Equestrian Order of Saint Gregory the Great (KCSG) by Pope John Paul II in 1990.[156] After the scandal broke, the Catholic Church in England and Wales asked the Holy See to consider stripping Savile of the honour. In October 2012, Father Federico Lombardi told BBC News:[157]
[The Holy See] firmly condemns the horrible crimes of sexual abuse of minors, [and the honour] in the light of recent information should certainly not have been bestowed ... As there does not exist any permanent official list of persons who have received papal honours in the past, it is not possible to strike anyone off a list that does not exist. The names of recipients of papal honours do not appear in the Pontifical Year Book and the honour expires with the death of the individual.

He was awarded an honorary doctorate of law (LLD) by the University of Leeds in 1986[158] which was revoked in 2012.[159]
He was an honorary fellow of the Royal College of Radiologists (FRCR).[160]
He had the Cross of Merit of the Order pro merito Melitensi.[161]
Many honours are considered to cease on the death of the holder; some of Savile's honours were considered no longer applicable, and did not need to be rescinded.[154][157] In other cases honours were withdrawn, or removed from lists:

In the 1970s he was awarded an honorary green beret by the Royal Marines for completing the Royal Marine Commando speed march, 30 miles (48 km) across Dartmoor carrying 30 pounds (14 kg) of kit.[162] Following the allegations of child abuse, the Royal Marines removed all traces of his memory; the "green beret" award itself automatically died with him.[163]
He was awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of Bedfordshire in 2009, which was posthumously rescinded in October 2012.[164]
He was made a Freeman of the Borough of Scarborough in 2005.[165] This honour was removed in November 2012.[166]
Savile’s name was removed from street signs put up in his honour, and the headstone on his grave was removed and broken up at his family’s request.[166]

Godson
March 29th, 2015, 12:55 PM

You are asking him to be logical. That is unpossible.

Godson
March 29th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Don't care. I have felt great since the news was announced and hence for a lot longer than 5 minutes.

Again, fuck Clarkson, fuck you and fuck people like you.

I figure this is a good time to recirculate this for the sake of posterity.

Godson
March 29th, 2015, 12:58 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/31901256.jpg

FaultyMario
March 29th, 2015, 05:13 PM
You are asking him to be logical. That is unpossible.

He is logical, but not of the rational type.

Yw-slayer
March 29th, 2015, 06:55 PM
Nah. He's the pub bore.

LHutton
March 30th, 2015, 03:06 AM
Well let's face it, there are a lot of hypocrites here. You want somebody sacked for a one-off scuffle but when an entire organisation/establishment is institutionally corrupt and hid 2 decades of child abuse, you support their continued broadcasting and don't call for them to be removed from the airwaves.

JoshInKC
March 30th, 2015, 04:35 AM
Not having much of a dog in this fight (in that I don't watch Top Gear or really give a shit about it) I would guess that rather than neccessarily being hypocrites, people who want Clarkson fired consider him to be a racist and homophobic dick who finally went way over the line in a relatively public manner.
At the same time, they likely consider the public benefits from the continued existence of the the entire BBC to be of greater value than dissolving it over events that occured and were covered up (decades?*) in the past. Also, I'd be willing to bet that if serious public allegations against Saville had been made while he was alive and employed by the BBC, I suspect many people would be calling for his firing as well.

* - With a little cursory searching, I was unable to determine if/when the abusive acts ceased beyond some comments about how Saville's activities "peaked in the 1970's"

LHutton
March 30th, 2015, 06:00 AM
The remarks people are passing off as racism and homophobia are pathetic at best. If you teach an entire generation of children the Eeny Meeny rhyme you can't exactly fake amazement and disgust when one of them uses it as a grown up, gets half way, and then realises they can't say it, doesn't actually say the N-word part but fuck, they moved their lips. If you want to blame someone for that, go back to the '60s, '70s and '80s and shout at some adults who were engraving blatantly racist rhymes in the minds of innocent kids. And he called a Daihatsu Copen 'a bit gay', common dialect from less than 10 years ago. Seriously? He's hardly WBC and the KKK combined now is he? The only difference with Clarkson, and what makes him a great presenter, is that he's spontaneous. If he wasn't spontaneous, he sure as hell wouldn't have even started the Eeny Meeny rhyme. And the Daihatsu? Well I guess a PC person would describe it as effeminate but Clarkson was never going to use a word that size now was he?

I don't think anyone truly knows when Saville's acts started or ended. Allegations were made, but people were hushed, even the papers were hushed because certain authorities had such powers back then. Press freedom? Y'right. People even said they knew but didn't feel they could do anything because, "he was Jimmy Saville," - according to a BBC documentary, I shit you not.

FaultyMario
March 30th, 2015, 07:11 AM
I can live with being a hypocrite, paedophile.

LHutton
March 30th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Both of them? That's quite an admission. You should apply to the BBC.

LHutton
March 30th, 2015, 07:55 AM
I'm truly staggered as to how many people there are who think there was nothing wrong with the Jimmy Saville incident, aside from his crimes obviously. That's just burying your head in the sand.

The359
March 30th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Wait, so you trust a BBC Documentary but want to shut down the BBC for not being trustworthy...

LHutton
March 30th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Wait, so you trust a BBC Documentary but want to shut down the BBC for not being trustworthy...
Backed up by documentaries on other channels and it provides a plausible (but completely unacceptable) explanation. It's simply impossible for abuse that prolific and sustained to have gone unnoticed. By comparison, Gary Glitter, in a similar line of entertainment, abused a 'mere' handful of kids and was discovered.

overpowered
March 30th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Death threat to BBC chief and his wife: Bodyguards rush to home of Director-General after terrifying e-mail is sent to Corporation over his decision to drop Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3016302/Death-threat-BBC-chief-wife-Bodyguards-rush-home-Director-General-terrifying-e-mail-sent-Corporation-decision-drop-Jeremy-Clarkson-Gear.html

Rare White Ape
March 30th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Alleged cover ups shouldn't result in the institution being shut down. The people involved are the ones responsible. The Beeb makes some of the best TV on the planet; why deprive us of that?

FaultyMario
March 30th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Because that is Z07's way.

Godson
March 30th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Alleged cover ups shouldn't result in the institution being shut down. The people involved are the ones responsible. The Beeb makes some of the best TV on the planet; why deprive us of that?

He can't handle realistic and sound thinking.

Just like he can't handle Clarkson being a piece of shit. People who think like him are pieces of shit. As I said earlier, Clarkson is a misogynistic bigoted old fuck. Good day Z07, now go cry in your tea you wanker.

Yw-slayer
March 30th, 2015, 11:39 PM
31st March here, 5 days since decision was announced, still very happy about it. Fuck Z07.

LHutton
March 31st, 2015, 12:03 AM
Death threat to BBC chief and his wife: Bodyguards rush to home of Director-General after terrifying e-mail is sent to Corporation over his decision to drop Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3016302/Death-threat-BBC-chief-wife-Bodyguards-rush-home-Director-General-terrifying-e-mail-sent-Corporation-decision-drop-Jeremy-Clarkson-Gear.html
Wasn't me.

Like what? The people are fundamentally inseparable from the institution especially when you include the number of key establishment figures involved in similar crimes at the time, discovered postmortem. Basically if this was still happening now, you wouldn't find out until 2045, or until those responsible were out of the picture. The law is a work of fiction here.

Yeti
March 31st, 2015, 05:54 AM
I only posted that tweet cap because I thought it was funny, not to encourage Z07's sperg.

But, after reading the last 4 pages, I'm glad I did. :lol: 8/10 would read again :up:

LHutton
March 31st, 2015, 09:11 AM
I believe the analogy started when some extreme lefty nut-job at the BBC, likened Clarkson to an embarrassment on par with Jimmy Savile. Needless to say he quickly had his gob metaphorically kicked shut on social media and then the real fun began with tweets like the one you posted.

Here we go:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11473066/BBC-boss-likens-Jeremy-Clarkson-to-Jimmy-Savile-after-establishment-support.html

A BBC executive has likened Jeremy Clarkson to Jimmy Savile due to the protection the star has been given through support from powerful friends including Prime Minister David Cameron.
It is claimed Clarkson is "self-destructing" and has been able to continue behaving badly due to his powerful allies.

Godson
March 31st, 2015, 11:31 AM
What does political affiliation have to do with this discussion ?

Nothing? Didn't think so. Keep up the idiotic bullshit.

LHutton
March 31st, 2015, 11:38 AM
More than you would think. It's the extreme lefty nut-jobs who make a mountain out of it when someone calls a Daihatsu Copen 'gay' and have wanted to see the back of Clarkson for donkey's years. Basically those people who are so ridiculously easily offended by every little thing, that they make people feel they need to run 5 miles away from them every time they need a fart.

Godson
March 31st, 2015, 03:04 PM
And you need to pull your head out of your own demented ass.

Left wingers didn't get Cockson fired. His own piss poor judgement and actions did.

When shit is thrown on the wall it goes all directions, but in your dense mindset it only goes one way. Get a clue, put on the big boy pants, and grow the fuck up.

Tom Servo
March 31st, 2015, 05:25 PM
Huh, that's weird. The vast majority of "boycott x TV show because of something offensive and immoral" campaigns, at least over here, seem to come from the religious right. Specifically Focus on the Family and organizations of that ilk.

Yw-slayer
March 31st, 2015, 05:32 PM
I agree with KB. Stop feeding the troll and let's get on with the rest of our happy, Clarkson-free lives.

LHutton
April 1st, 2015, 01:02 AM
And you need to pull your head out of your own demented ass.

Left wingers didn't get Cockson fired. His own piss poor judgement and actions did.

When shit is thrown on the wall it goes all directions, but in your dense mindset it only goes one way. Get a clue, put on the big boy pants, and grow the fuck up.
Helped somewhat by a bunch of nut-jobs blowing every statement out of proportion for a decade or so.

speedpimp
April 1st, 2015, 01:19 AM
I agree with KB. Stop feeding the troll and let's get on with the rest of our happy, Clarkson-free lives.
You don't have to be so gruff.
/takes off his billy goat suit

Yw-slayer
April 1st, 2015, 01:48 AM
AAGGGGGGHHH NOOOO PUT IT BACK ON

LHutton
April 1st, 2015, 03:29 AM
Not so fast. Top Gear Live renamed Clarkson Hammond and May Live.

http://news.sky.com/story/1456365/clarkson-hammond-and-may-to-stage-live-shows

Jeremy Clarkson will appear alongside his former Top Gear colleagues Richard Hammond and James May in live shows arranged before he was sacked by the BBC for attacking one of his producers.

The gigs will go ahead as planned, but without any BBC or Top Gear branding.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3082/2418346408_db05b6257e.jpg

Yw-slayer
April 1st, 2015, 03:55 AM
Don't care. Still happy. Fuck you.

Tom Servo
April 1st, 2015, 04:01 AM
Helped somewhat by a bunch of nut-jobs blowing every statement out of proportion for a decade or so.

I want to live in your world, where punching a coworker unprovoked is totally not an instantly fireable offense.

I can't even imagine the shit that'd be coming out of that hole in your head if it had been the producer punching Clarkson.

Rikadyn
April 1st, 2015, 04:28 AM
happens in sports every now and then.

LHutton
April 1st, 2015, 05:13 AM
Don't care. Still happy. Fuck you.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3082/2418346408_db05b6257e.jpg

LHutton
April 1st, 2015, 05:15 AM
I want to live in your world, where punching a coworker unprovoked is totally not an instantly fireable offense.

I can't even imagine the shit that'd be coming out of that hole in your head if it had been the producer punching Clarkson.
Minor dust up between 2 adults, one-on-one, don't care.

Tom Servo
April 1st, 2015, 05:50 AM
You've got a weird definition of battery that sent one person to the hospital over the other not being able to get the dinner he wanted.

LHutton
April 1st, 2015, 07:24 AM
It was one punch and the hospital was a precaution by all accounts. No grevious wounds, missing teeth or broken bones. If everyone who ever got into a fight whilst drunk on a night was fired, unemployment would sky-rocket.

Kchrpm
April 1st, 2015, 07:30 AM
If everyone who ever got into a fight with a coworker at night while on a business trip was fired, what would happen?

Crap, I fell for his tricks and fed the troll!

Tom Servo
April 1st, 2015, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I dunno where you work, but in my ~20 years in the professional workforce I've had drinks in the evening with a great many coworkers and have never once, ever, heard about, witnessed, or been involved in any sort of physical altercation. And hell, I worked at MySpace, that's barely even professional.

LHutton
April 1st, 2015, 08:49 AM
If everyone who ever got into a fight with a coworker at night while on a business trip was fired, what would happen?

Crap, I fell for his tricks and fed the troll!
Honest answer? Depends on the company and the position of the two. I know of a FTSE 100 company that let a boss keep his job after he head-butted a graduate employee. If it's not on company time, it could well result in nothing. A lot don't even get reported.

LHutton
April 1st, 2015, 08:52 AM
And hell, I worked at MySpace, that's barely even professional.
Does that still even exist?

Dicknose
April 1st, 2015, 10:40 AM
Happened to a guy in my cricket club, got punched by a player from the other team.
Also ended in court with the guy being found guilty of assault, no gaol time but a good behaviour bond.

This is probably not that different.
Clarkson did something that could result in charges.
All made worse by the power that he wields, obvious from this thread, the petitions and the mighty dollars he commands.

The BBC need to have a safe working environment and having a senior person act this way is not a safe environment for other staff.
It's that simple, he needed to go.

As for the shows, the Aussie show is soon, but it seems it's changed from an event at a racetrack to a stage show and delayed a few months.

speedpimp
April 1st, 2015, 02:18 PM
AAGGGGGGHHH NOOOO PUT IT BACK ON

The barrister doth protest too much. Just for that it's staying off. Now you won't be needin' any lube, now will ya, luv?

Godson
April 2nd, 2015, 09:02 AM
Honest answer? Depends on the company and the position of the two. I know of a FTSE 100 company that let a boss keep his job after he head-butted a graduate employee. If it's not on company time, it could well result in nothing. A lot don't even get reported.

And you Brits call us the Wild West? Hypocrite much?

LHutton
April 2nd, 2015, 11:23 AM
And you Brits call us the Wild West? Hypocrite much?
We punch people instead of shooting them here. It's a somewhat less terminal learning experience and no one gets to, "just standing my ground," when they get punched back and then shoot the person.

Crazed_Insanity
April 2nd, 2015, 12:07 PM
Oh shut up you uncivilized westerners!

We Chinese people just stand in front of tanks when we stand our grounds in order to achieve peace.

But of course it wasn't a very long lasting peace... :p

Godson
April 2nd, 2015, 01:51 PM
We punch people instead of shooting them here. It's a somewhat less terminal learning experience and no one gets to, "just standing my ground," when they get punched back and then shoot the person.

Completely different. Clarkson attacked a guy and is being turned into a martyr. That is unacceptable.

If anyone were to utilize the "castle doctrine" in this instance Clarkson would either be in the hospital, or dead.

LHutton
April 3rd, 2015, 03:31 AM
Completely different. Clarkson attacked a guy and is being turned into a martyr. That is unacceptable.

If anyone were to utilize the "castle doctrine" in this instance Clarkson would either be in the hospital, or dead.
Not necessarily, under stand your ground law you don't necessarily have to have stood your ground (that's the great deceit that was pulled when it was passed), you can pursue and even initiate violence, but if the returned violence is more severe and sufficient to cause you to believe there is a threat to your own life, you then get to shoot them. Basically, if you punch someone, it would be difficult to argue that it couldn't possibly have given them cause to believe there was a threat to their life, or a severe threat of grevious injury. But equally, if they pull a gun, it would be difficult to prove beyond doubt to a jury that that wasn't an over-reaction and a lethal threat. Basically the dead person loses their right to be assumed innocent until proven guilty and the right to a fair trial and the alive person keeps their rights. Hence, quickest on the draw wins, Wild West style. I looked into Floridian law following the Zimmerman innocent, dumbest shit I've ever read.

Here the only thing likely to kill you following such an incident is the endless media coverage.

Crazed_Insanity
April 3rd, 2015, 08:06 AM
Dude you have to understand that there are 2 colors in America. Red and Blue. Red is for stand your ground BS... and I believe most here are Blue. Florida is on the east coast btw. So it's more like wild wild southeast style. Don't be try to insult us more civilized west coast folks.

LHutton
April 3rd, 2015, 09:01 AM
Dude you have to understand that there are 2 colors in America. Red and Blue. Red is for stand your ground BS... and I believe most here are Blue. Florida is on the east coast btw. So it's more like wild wild southeast style. Don't be try to insult us more civilized west coast folks.
You're all west coast from here.:D

Rikadyn
April 3rd, 2015, 09:12 AM

Reds are commies >.>

Crazed_Insanity
April 3rd, 2015, 09:49 AM
Yeah, usually red is for more socialized parties in most of other parts of the world. Your comment made me wonder what happened to us in the States... so I googled a bit.

Turned out in the beginning reds used to be blue and blue was red(back in 1976). The color scheme actually varied from TV networks and from time to time... and it wasn't until year 2000 that the color scheme stuck in American's minds thanks to the media and the drama of Bush vs Gore...

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/when-republicans-were-blue-and-democrats-were-red-104176297/?all

Jason
April 5th, 2015, 05:06 AM
This thread proved entertaining to read.

I still don't get his popularity.

And I still don't get who LHutton/Z07 is. I must have never paid much attention to him, so I don't understand his popularity either.

speedpimp
April 5th, 2015, 05:20 AM
Hutton/ZO7 is to here what Clarkson is to Top Gear in a Pretzel Logic sort of way. As a matter of fact you could say that Hutton/Billy/Mayor Bill are the Clarkson/May/Hammond of the board.

LHutton
April 5th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Still don't get the ZO7 thing, but I'll take that as a compliment.

speedpimp
April 5th, 2015, 05:45 AM
Don't let it go to your head, dude, it wasn't really meant as one.

Jason
April 5th, 2015, 06:48 AM
Hutton/ZO7 is to here what Clarkson is to Top Gear in a Pretzel Logic sort of way. As a matter of fact you could say that Hutton/Billy/Mayor Bill are the Clarkson/May/Hammond of the board.
They should just do Top Gear without hosts. Just the camera work, and car noises.

LHutton
April 5th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Don't let it go to your head, dude, it wasn't really meant as one.
I had a sneaky suspicion that might be the case.

Rare White Ape
April 6th, 2015, 03:55 AM
They should just do Top Gear without hosts. Just the camera work, and car noises.

Oh that would be FUCKING. AWESOME.

Imagine the star-in-a-shitbox segment without the five minutes of interview beforehand. Straight to the hot lap, show the time on the leaderboard, then show the bloopers.

Next segment, an appraisal of some fancy new supercar. Two second static shot of the front quarter, one of the rear, pan along the side, show some int/ext details, 20 seconds tops. Then five minutes showing a combo of drifting and sharp skilful cornering.

No novelty segments. Use the same DOP and editing guy as before. Bash together a 25 minute show and shazam.

Godson
April 6th, 2015, 08:36 AM
That would be ace. Throw up some stats. No voice overs, all pure sounds.

Marketing genius, and fuck Cockson and his goons.

LHutton
April 6th, 2015, 09:28 AM
No one's ever tried that formula before.

Crazed_Insanity
April 6th, 2015, 09:31 AM
That doesn't quite make sense. You still need people driving the car in order to make noises.

Perhaps 3 new stigs hired just to drive the cars around and point the whatever narratives by pointing to the texts shown on the screen.

Of course when autonomous cars come around, then even the stigs would be out of work...

Dicknose
April 6th, 2015, 02:22 PM
The show was successful because of the presenters and their differing styles.
And as the spin offs in other countries has shown, its very hard to recreate the magic these guys have.

But being successful (arguably even unique) does not excuse his behaviour.
And it is unfortunate that a lot of people (fans, crew, other presenters) will suffer if Clarkson is punished.
But the principle of a safe working environment is important and shouldn't be ignored simply because a person is powerful.

Unfortunately tv companies, including the BBC, have historically swept problems under the carpet when it involved powerful or high profile people.
I think it's very important that they have taken a stand now.
Part of this is acknowledging past mistakes.

For full disclosure, part of my feelings on this are from working on TV shows where powerful people abused and bullied others. I'd seen people in tears, throw up, hate their jobs, all because a powerful person would treat them like shit.
And this was deemed acceptable as "that's how tv works"
I was in engineering, not production, but after working in the production of a show where the director was completely over the top, yelling, swearing, ripping people to shreds, I told my dept head that I wasn't going to work in an environment like that and if someone abused me in that manner that I would simply walk out. He agreed and said he would raise this issue.
Now I don't think much changed in a hurry.
And unfortunately at about the same time a show was being filmed at the station that was a top rating show, the main star was a pedophile and the show was about a family, so it had very young actors. His behaviour was known and unofficially attempts were made to keep it safe. But it failed. Only in the last few years did this surface and the star actor is now in gaol.
I'm not trying to equate pedophiles with bullies. But highlight that the industry was a very bad record of ignoring the safety of workers when the problem is powerful people. The dollar signs are just too important.

It's unfortunate for Top Gear fans. But this sort of thing can't be allowed to go unpunished.

Godson
April 6th, 2015, 05:42 PM
No one's ever tried that formula before.

That's what your mom said last night...

She didn't feel the same this morning.

overpowered
April 6th, 2015, 08:02 PM
It might be reasonable for them to leave him fired for a period of time and let him come back after an apology. He loses pay during that time. He gets real consequences but the show can come back that way for the fans. I really am amazed at how many people seem massively upset by this. It's just a show and it's not always all that good.

LHutton
April 7th, 2015, 03:19 AM
That's what your mom said last night...

She didn't feel the same this morning.
Corpses talk?

speedpimp
April 7th, 2015, 04:35 AM
Godson is freaky like that.

LHutton
April 7th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Godson is freaky like that.
I'm as liberal as the next guy, but surely you have to draw the line somewhere?

speedpimp
April 7th, 2015, 10:43 AM
They don't in Missouri.

LHutton
April 7th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Or at the BBC.

Rare White Ape
April 7th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Remember Godson is a nurse, so he has access to plenty of cadavers.

Binders full of cadavers.

speedpimp
April 19th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Clarkson blames beating his producer on a cancer scare. (http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/apr/18/jeremy-clarkson-top-gear-car-show-bbc)

Godson
April 19th, 2015, 11:21 AM
He is actively trying to manipulate and hit the emotional chords. Fuck him.

Drachen596
June 7th, 2015, 07:49 PM
Hammond And May To Reject £4m BBC Deal In Favour Of Joining Clarkson At Netflix (http://www.carthrottle.com/post/hammond-and-may-to-reject-4m-bbc-deal-in-favour-of-joining-clarkson-at-netflix/)

XHawkeye
October 7th, 2015, 11:30 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQuxDyjWoAEQpwB.jpg:large

With a skeleton crew, filming for Amazon Prime's new motoring programme has begun. (https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/651809264483336192)

thesameguy
October 7th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Amazon = my precious.

LHutton
October 7th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Well the BBC are basically airing repeats constantly, as is Dave, so it's not like any anti-Clarkson folk actually 'got rid of him' anyway.

MR2 Fan
October 7th, 2015, 12:25 PM
:lol: at the reply by Chris Harris:

chris harris ‏@harrismonkey: JeremyClarkson Fuck this. I'm retiring. Beaten.

Rare White Ape
October 8th, 2015, 02:20 AM
Not a bad start to open the new post-TG era. Those three cars are sexy as fuck.

Hammond And May To Reject £4m BBC Deal In Favour Of Joining Clarkson At Netflix (http://www.carthrottle.com/post/hammond-and-may-to-reject-4m-bbc-deal-in-favour-of-joining-clarkson-at-netflix/)

This made me chuckle. They have an astronomical budget with Amazon; well over 100 million quid. Clarkson himself is on US$46 million over three years.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/amazon-is-paying-former-top-gear-host-jeremy-clarkson-a-ridiculous-amount-of-money-2015-8

Crazed_Insanity
October 8th, 2015, 04:38 AM
Skeleton crew? How big was the usual TG crew? Geez!

Kchrpm
October 8th, 2015, 06:25 AM
That was sarcasm.

Crazed_Insanity
October 8th, 2015, 06:31 AM
And what happened to Netflix? All very disorienting... :p

Kchrpm
October 8th, 2015, 08:16 AM
It was another offer they had, I'm sure Amazon offered them more.

The359
October 8th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Can't help but notice some Ferrari and Porsche guys there. I wonder how fair they're going to let them all be.

Freude am Fahren
October 8th, 2015, 10:05 AM
I'm sure here are a couple guys from Woking as well. Hopefully all just mechanics, and no funny business is about.

The359
October 8th, 2015, 02:42 PM
I remember reading before that each company would only allow certain tires on each car.

I wonder why no one throws a Koenigsegg into the mix.

MR2 Fan
October 8th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Are they going to have a "Stig"?

Leon
October 8th, 2015, 09:56 PM
I'm a bit indifferent about this lot, and supercars.

I'd rather see old POS cars, and difficult scenarios.

LHutton
October 9th, 2015, 02:52 AM
Porsche battery will be low after one lap because it draws so much current in HL mode. Ferrari will send the ringer from Hades as usual. McLaren will give the fairest representation of what a car will manage for 20-40 laps on a track day.

Freude am Fahren
October 9th, 2015, 07:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-gLG4zfUwU

Looks like the test also included Chris Harris for his Web series, featuring Tiff and I think Marino Franchitti. Explains the tweet he put out after his "retiring" tweet: "@JeremyClarkson Actually, maybe we'll hang around for a little bit longer" (https://twitter.com/harrismonkey/status/651824768077971456)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQu_K_FWoAAJLCX.png

May also mean with Tiff there that Fifth Gear will have something as well? So CHoC and Top Gear, and maybe Fifth Gear will all have the comparison from the same day(s).

Also notice the McLaren guy there too snapping a pic of the LaFerrari... err of LaFerrari?

‏@JeremyClarkson:
We're going to need a faster helicopter. (https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/652467492921712640)
Check the video out in that tweet :lol:

(we need a way to embed tweets here.)

Rare White Ape
October 9th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Skeleton crew? How big was the usual TG crew? Geez!

For a budget in the hundreds of millions, that is a skeleton crew.

LHutton
October 12th, 2015, 02:45 AM
Beaten to the punch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUPfLHPUelE

McLaren P1 - 58.24s
Porsche 918 - 58.47s
LaFerrari - 58.58s

Ascari KZ1 - 1:05.20
Caterham Superlight R - 1:06.26
Ferrari F430 - 1:07.10

Crazed_Insanity
October 12th, 2015, 10:16 AM
All 3 of them are THAT close, huh?

I guess P1 is true to its name...

Looking forward to Amazon's review! :p

LHutton
October 12th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Well the P1 gave them a chance at 2:45 by way of driver screw up.

XHawkeye
November 28th, 2015, 05:07 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUzTCgzW4AArj-W.jpg:large

Proof we are spending the money on the screen; not on company cars.

=========

Can I just be clear. The reliant robins are our company runabouts. The cars on the show will mostly have more wheels.