PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if offered something you really wanted for free, but...

George
March 11th, 2015, 02:41 PM
A few months ago, I was on a different internet discussion forum about one of my hobbies. It wasn't about guitars, but let's say it was, just so I can tell the tale.

I saw a thread about a type of effects pedal that I'm generally interested in, and I was unaware of the particular model being discussed. It's a thing that makes an electric guitar sound differently than it usually does when you step on a foot pedal plugged in betwen the guitar and the amplifier. I read the thread with everyone saying, "Hey, dig this cool thing. It's great!" and "I've had mine for years and couldn't imagine life without it" and all the usual internet superlatives.

I followed a link to the manufacturer's website and immediately could see this was something that I would love to own and would definitely get some use out of. Yet, it is far from being a necessity in my life. It would just be a nice luxury item to own and use whenever I wanted to.

I also really liked the website. In the "about us" section of the site, the guy explained he has been in the guitar effects pedal industry for years before starting his one-man company and that he personally builds every effects pedal himself. He went on to say he and his wife live in a very cool place - a place I've visited and really enjoyed - and I thought, "wow, this guy has it made!"

So I posted something like, "Hey, that thing looks great. That's the one for me, if I ever were to buy something like that. And it's nice to see a guy start his own business that looks to be successful and live where he wants to live. Good for him!"

Those are not the words I used, so don't bother googling. The reason I don't want to identify this individual will be come obvious as I continue.

That was a few months ago and long forgotten, until today, when I signed into that forum again and saw I had a Private Message from yesterday. It was from the guy who builds the effects pedal I had admired. He said quoted my reply about his effects pedal and said something like this:

"I just saw your message. Thank you for your kind words. Do you own one of my effects pedals already? If not, I'm happy to send you one for free. Either way, thanks again!"

Wow.

The italics in that quote are mine, to point out that he said he would be happy! I did something nice for someone a while back that I'm still grinning about and maybe this guy would feel just as good as I do by doing a kindness for someone. I can't deny this man happiness, can I? Can I? :lol:

My first thought was, "YES! I WILL TAKE ONE! HERE'S MY ADDRESS! CAN YOU SEND IT OUT TODAY?!!!1!"

But then I got to thinking. This guy is a one-man business. He builds these things to sell and make a profit. Why would he give one to me? He knows NOTHING about me. It's not a forum like this where many of us know each other pretty well. I'm just one of thousands at this site and don't post very often. He's probably the same way. He's not a paid advertiser, just a forum member with a low post count, like me.

I could see it if I were a guitar shop owner and a potential dealer for his effects pedal. But I'm not. Of course I don't think the guy is trying to scam me or anything. He's just being a super-nice guy, apparently. But I don't think I'd feel right accepting this gift. And, he'd have to pay to ship it to me. I live a few states away.

Maybe this goes back to one of my first real jobs and a very important mentor in my life once explaining, "You never give away what you're in business to sell."

I think I'd almost not enjoy the product knowing how I obtained it.

Am I nuts to refuse this incredibly kind offer?

Kchrpm
March 11th, 2015, 02:57 PM
He would give one to you for free for the same reason I created a Helpout page to help random strangers with Excel stuff: I just like helping people with the weird talent that entertains me to do. As long as he's breaking even, why not put a smile on the face of someone who genuinely appreciates your work, with no ulterior motive?

G'day Mate
March 11th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Just pay him whatever his cost price of whatever sex device it is you're talking about

thesameguy
March 11th, 2015, 03:23 PM
In a word, yes.

It's not your responsibility to guess at what this guy's situation is. Maybe he's incredibly loaded, maybe he is an enthusiast and like spreading the enthusiasm, maybe he's clinically insane! Sometimes nice people do nice things. Ain't nothing wrong being the beneficiary of such a person's generosity.

Crazed_Insanity
March 11th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Make sure you use a po Box so the nut doesn't know where you live. Maybe you can buy some other products of his down the road!

I think it's obvious this isn't just a business for him, but a passionate hobby. When someone appreciates and shows interests in his babies, he wants to share it! Feel free to accept his gracious and loving gift and pay it fwd later! ;)

Random
March 11th, 2015, 03:39 PM
He might be just looking for word-of-mouth advertising and/or free beta testing. I don't see any reason to analyze the situation past that. :)

Yw-slayer
March 11th, 2015, 06:03 PM
Make sure you offer something in return first. Offer hard.

overpowered
March 11th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Just pay him whatever his cost price of whatever sex device it is you're talking aboutThis.

George
March 12th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Thanks gents. This may have seemed a silly thing to ask about, but I was conflicted about this and appreciate the input.

I think I'll accept his generous offer but insist on paying for shipping, and then later on I'll post a glowing review of his product at that forum and make no mention about getting it for free.

I don't think I'll have to tell lies about how good this thing is. One person called it "the gold standard" in its category. I haven't read a negative word about it, except that some say it's too expensive. It is about twice the cost of competitive products but looks like it will last forever. It's also something I can enjoy all by myself, let my wife have a turn with it when she wants to, and we can use it with the kids, too.

I'll post a picture of this thing eventually in another thread, unless the guy has sobered up, realized his mistake, and recalled his PM.

Fast As Possible
March 12th, 2015, 09:43 AM
What would you do if I offered you tinychat?

http://tinychat.com/fastaspossible

Crazed_Insanity
March 12th, 2015, 09:52 AM
Something you can use with the kids too?

So it's not a sex device after all? How disappointing.

speedpimp
March 12th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Something you can use with the kids too?

So it's not a sex device after all? How disappointing.

Dude, really what the mother fucking fuck of all fucking fucks riding a fucking uni-fucking-corn. I swear that I hope those two thoughts were unconnected in your mind.

Back on topic, enjoy your new Vajankle, George.

George
March 12th, 2015, 01:48 PM
I'm scared to google that word from work. :lol:

Fast As Possible
March 12th, 2015, 02:09 PM
It's a rubber ankle and foot with a fleshlight in the top o fit

speedpimp
March 12th, 2015, 04:15 PM
What the fapper said.

GB
March 12th, 2015, 07:51 PM
He probably will ask you: "Hey, in return, can you "like" my FB page? And write a nice testimonial I can use on my site? And can you put in a good word over at this other forum?"

If you're OK with that, go right ahead and accept.

balki
March 13th, 2015, 07:22 PM
He would give one to you for free for the same reason I created a Helpout page to help random strangers with Excel stuff: ...
link?

FaultyMario
March 13th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Yeah, link!

Kchrpm
March 14th, 2015, 05:27 AM
Well Helpouts is closing soon, but https://helpouts.google.com/116674493483634194038/ls/af4dc7da7b317365?authuser=0