PDA

View Full Version : Random's Unified Fleet Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Random
January 28th, 2017, 08:58 PM
They had people there doing inventory, but not selling parts. Connecting the dots, I'm guessing (now, after the fact) that it was related to the dealership changing hands (The Elk Grove owners are buying it).

Sidenote: they have a black FoRS in the showroom....tasty. And not marked up, that I could see.

Random
January 29th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Installed the new-to-me throttle body on the Miata.

No more sticky throttle plate = good :up:
2000rpm idle = no good :down:

*sigh*

miata.net advice ranges from "drive it 100-200 miles to blow all the residual TB cleaner out" to "check the correct functioning of every switch on the car." fffffuuuuuuu :(

On the plus side, I think I solved the braking vibration in the rear of the Camry. I though I had a drum with a high spot, but after putting a fresh drum on and still getting a rub in one spot, I made sure to wire-brush all the rust off the hub and that seems to have done the trick. I guess.

CudaMan
January 29th, 2017, 07:19 PM
All the vacuum lines are plugged in where they're supposed to go?

Is there an adjustable idle screw on the TB like in 90s Toyotas?

Random
January 29th, 2017, 07:30 PM
Yeah, no vacuum lines out of place. Idle screw does nothing, which makes me wonder if the TB gasket is actually doing its thing. I bought a new one, so I'll try swapping that in before I sell the car out of frustration.

thesameguy
January 30th, 2017, 08:08 AM
2000rpm idle is highly likely to be a post-throttle body leak, so that gasket makes good sense. You could try the shop vac duct taped to the throttle body plus soapy water trick. :)

Some cars do have the ability to open the idle valve large enough to get that idle, however, in which case the likely culprit (given nothing else changed...) would be a mis-adjusted throttle position switch, which doesn't know the throttle is closed and has commanded the idle control valve to full-open.

You only messed with the throttle body, so I'd say your range of things to check is quite small!

Random
January 31st, 2017, 06:52 PM
New gasket, still have a 2k idle. Old gasket was metal, which I have not seen before.

Did the simple TPS check (continuity at 0 throttle, no continuity at 0.016" gap), which it passed.

Unplugging the IAC valve did nothing, which suggests bad valve? Or would idling at 2k totally over power anything that the IAC is trying to do? The TB water hoses are hot, so there's water making it to the IAC valve. I can swap the IAC valve from my previous TB over, I suppose. Hmm.

thesameguy
February 1st, 2017, 09:39 AM
If the valve is stuck unplugging it probably wouldn't help. You could try a swap. Did you verify the throttle cable isn't binding and keeping the plate open too far?

Random
February 1st, 2017, 09:46 AM
Yup, throttle cable is fine.

I'll probably double check that the throttle stop is set correctly, too. I used throttle-body cleaner, which is supposed to not wash away the factory coating on the butterfly, but...who knows.

Yeah, unplugging the valve just confirmed that it wasn't doing what it was supposed to, for whatever reason. miata.net experience suggests that they do get stuck/gunked up and then stick open.

thesameguy
February 1st, 2017, 09:58 AM
Do they use the IAC to set base idle, or is that controlled with the stop? Like, could you unplug & block off the IAC and still have a mostly normal car?

Random
February 1st, 2017, 10:02 AM
Well, shit. I may have the wrong (for class legality purposes) TB on the car anyway, thanks to a mid-generation change. Gah.

Random
February 1st, 2017, 10:11 AM
Do they use the IAC to set base idle, or is that controlled with the stop? Like, could you unplug & block off the IAC and still have a mostly normal car?

Base idle is mechanically set by a bleed screw and adjusted from there (for load, temp, etc) by the ECU using the IAC.

dodint
February 1st, 2017, 10:19 AM
Well, shit. I may have the wrong (for class legality purposes) TB on the car anyway, thanks to a mid-generation change. Gah.

Whoops. :|

thesameguy
February 1st, 2017, 10:21 AM
That's a bit of an obstacle...

Random
February 1st, 2017, 07:44 PM
Bought a new-to-me set of floor mats for the FiST, in time for the next batch of rain. I hope I didn't manage to screw that up, too.

thesameguy
February 2nd, 2017, 09:48 AM
What, does the StasiCCA make rules about non-OE floor mats?

novicius
February 2nd, 2017, 09:51 AM
Yeah it's like joining SVOCA and asking if anyone has tried an LS swap before.

Random
February 2nd, 2017, 10:07 AM
What, does the StasiCCA make rules about non-OE floor mats?

These are OE! :D

(There is actually a floor mat rule--they have to be out of the car. :p)

thesameguy
February 2nd, 2017, 10:48 AM
That seems unfair, since those deep-pile luxury Mini owners get to save a lot more weight than cheapo Mazda owners. :P

speedpimp
February 4th, 2017, 02:12 PM
Bought a new-to-me set of floor mats for the FiST, in time for the next batch of rain. I hope I didn't manage to screw that up, too.

Dear Mr. Random,
We are writing you to inform you that your order of a DIY spray in bedliner for your Ford Fiesta ST has shipped.

Random
February 4th, 2017, 02:20 PM
:up:

I managed to dump 20oz of coffee all over me and the car yesterday--good thing I had rubber mats! :D

speedpimp
February 4th, 2017, 04:57 PM
I use a 20 oz Thermos tumbler for my coffee. I usually put it in my pocket when I walk out to the truck in the morning. A few weeks back I climbed up on the steps to get in the truck and all of the sudden my leg was burning. Turns out I had forgotten to close the lid when I put it in my pocket. Duh.

GB
February 5th, 2017, 05:24 AM
I'll try swapping that in before I sell the car out of frustration.

Road trip to Ormond Beach! (And you'd have a little cash in your pocket for a flight home.)

Random
February 5th, 2017, 11:11 AM
An attractive proposition! :D In the interests of full disclosure, I'll note that my car does not have AC. ;)

GB
February 5th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Ah... yeah. Problematic in this state for a daily driver.

Time for a trip to FL anyway. Mapper still have relatives in Boca(?) ?

Random
February 5th, 2017, 08:10 PM
All the Boca relatives have passed. I think she still has an uncle in Margate(?) and a cousin in Tampa and another cousin somewhere in the state... :lol:

GB
February 6th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Come to think of it... I need to see what the left coast is like someday.

Random
February 6th, 2017, 08:14 AM
KSC is on our list, but we're going to wait a few more years so that Jamie can get a little more out of the trip. :)

21Kid
February 8th, 2017, 11:12 AM

I managed to dump 20oz of coffee all over me and the car yesterday--good thing I had rubber mats! :D

These (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZI5XNO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) are awesome. Doesn't spill and stays hot for hours.

thesameguy
February 8th, 2017, 11:34 AM
Vacuum insulated beverage containers are the shit! :up:

speedpimp
February 17th, 2017, 05:06 PM
Bought a Thermos insulated tumbler a few years ago and I use it every day. It's been dented and paint has scraped off but it still does the job like a champ.

Random
April 9th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Put the back of the FiST in the air to remove/reinstall the rear shocks. Internal adjust is a pain the the ass. :mad:

Track day coming up on Thursday! Am excite.

Mapper's Camry just went in for a laundry list of little things, plus a TB/WP change. Brake light went away with a fluid flush, shop also tracked down a minor oil leak. Shop diagnosed the rhythmic clunking in the rear under certain brake applications; turns out the rear sway bar is rubbing on something. "Stabilizer bar too big" says the work sheet. What? 20mm bar in place of a 12mm bar is a problem? :lol: I still gotta crawl under there and see what the deal is--it didn't do it for a long time, so my guess is the bar shifted to one side.

TheBenior
April 9th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Put the back of the FiST in the air to remove/reinstall the rear shocks. Internal adjust is a pain the the ass. :mad:

That's how my Sentra and Mazdaspeed3 have been with Koni Yellows.

I need to get around to getting longer rear bump stops to get rid of any fender/tire contact issues. I'm running a stockish offset and stock width tires, but 0.5" wider wheels, and that's enough to cause problems with the shorter, non-stock bumpstops.

thesameguy
April 9th, 2017, 07:22 PM
"Stabilizer bar too big" says the work sheet. What? 20mm bar in place of a 12mm bar is a problem? :lol: I still gotta crawl under there and see what the deal is--it didn't do it for a long time, so my guess is the bar shifted to one side.

Or.....

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrn9b5m2Dx1qgwi7to1_250.gif

Random
April 13th, 2017, 09:25 PM
Track day coming up on Thursday! Am excite.

Track day went well. :) It was actually a half day, via SCCA's "Track Night in America" program. Three 20-minute sessions, special SCCA member price of $50. :up:

Car held together nicely. Max water temp of 230 or so (no limp mode!), and water temps came down immediately during the cool-down lap. In fact, they were generally back to 190 (normal cruise) by the time I came off track. I had no issues with the OEM brake pads, either, though I was not trying to stand the car on its nose. I really wish I could have monitored oil temp/pressure, but based on two different apps that look at the ODB-II and Ford-specific outputs, the FiST ECU doesn't monitor those parameters. Bah.

Random
April 22nd, 2017, 01:28 PM
Got to drive a $560k vehicle today with Recaro seats, power adjustable pedals, tilt/tele wheel, four wheel discs, 6-speed auto, and air ride suspension (with optional sway bars). Bright red paint, LED accent lights, LED projector low beams.

And you can bring 40 of your good friends with you. :D

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3705/13874998024_b66aed15f7_b.jpg

novicius
April 22nd, 2017, 03:06 PM
:cool: :up:

Did you take it over any sweet jumps?

thesameguy
April 22nd, 2017, 04:03 PM
Or play Mustang Mustang Mustang?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2dsXfwQtTv0/maxresdefault.jpg

Random
April 23rd, 2017, 12:53 PM
What do I need to know about GMT8x0 half-ton 4x4 trucks/Suburbans?

thesameguy
April 23rd, 2017, 01:28 PM
What do I need to know about GMT8x0 half-ton 4x4 trucks/Suburbans?

5.3l I assume? I wouldn't mess with the V6 (pickups only). Common problems I am aware of are stuck/damaged AFM lifters, they still have the weak transfer case bearings the GMT400s had, they have problematic HVAC panels (easy/cheap to replace), and IIRC even more feeble front CVs. They share a lot of design with the GMT400, so you don't have fancy suspension or anything. I'd avoid '00 and maybe '01 - I don't remember the cutoff - as the interior on the first year or two is different and harder to find parts for. I think there were improvements made in '05 that are nice but not necessary - it's something like '00-'01 avoid, '02-'04 ok, '05-'07 the most desirable.

Personally unless you go for the '05+, I'd just get a '98 or '99 with the 5.7l. *So* much cheaper, you lose almost nothing in terms of ride/safety/comfort and the fuel economy vs. grunt is almost non-existent but a good trade. Having towed with my 5.7l 1500 Suburban and my friend's 5.3l 1500 Avalanche, I'd take mine. Just driving around it's a tossup between the two, but he paid $12,000 and I paid $3400 (after I rebuilt the xfer case), both in '15, so.....

The thing that would push me towards a GMT800 is the 6.0l, which is leaps and bounds better than the 7.4l. I couldn't reasonably swing that (still can't), which is why I did the '99.

TheBenior
April 23rd, 2017, 02:45 PM
I think early 2000s 4L60s are crap, but that's just because I knew of 3 people who had them fail prematurely.

Random
April 23rd, 2017, 02:53 PM
Oh, the 4L60...yeah. Hmm.

Random
April 23rd, 2017, 03:02 PM
Is $6k for a 97 'Burb 4x4 crazy talk? Or is that really the market price?

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6088718316.html

thesameguy
April 23rd, 2017, 03:31 PM
I think the 4L60 is generally fine, but suffers real bad when neglected. I wouldn't buy anything "high mileage" without a service history on that. Folks on the fullsize forum suggest 50k fluid changes. Seems aggressive to me, but IIRC 100k is factory and that may not be frequently enough. May depend on how it's driven, too - all the 4L boxes run really high internal temps and there isn't a lot of headroom for towing, etc. I'll bet trucks with the factory HD tow package (aux cooler, etc.) do better long-term just due to not running 220+ degrees all the damn time. :smh:

I do NOT think that is going price for '97... that guy is nuts. Plus thinks he has a 700R4, so whatever.

This seems about inline for a fair price:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6097386988.html

also

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6072784448.html

You do have to look hard for these trucks - all Suburbans - they get seriously abused and it's a needle and haystack search. TBH, this is almost a great deal, as $2k gets you a rebuilt transmission installed... he'd need to take like $1200 for it:

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6094037007.html

Could also consider Expeditions, if you're willing to take a gamble on the Blue Oval. I keep thinking about it, I'm just really comfortable with Chevy trucks at this point.

Is a Tahoe on the table?

Random
April 23rd, 2017, 04:06 PM
I guess? I've always heard that the longer wheel base of a Suburban or crew cab PU was better for towing. Plus the added length seems helpful for HD trips with the fam. I've had no real issues with the GMT900 Tahoe I drive for work, but that's also out of the price range I'm looking at.

No purchase immminent, by the way, just poking around as I think about selling the Miata and getting a weekend/camping/tow truck as our third vehicle.

GB
April 23rd, 2017, 05:43 PM
https://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/6034699637.html

thesameguy
April 23rd, 2017, 07:55 PM
If it's not a now thing, I'd look and see what prices are like when you're ready. GMT400s have bottomed out down with the K-series so they won't get any cheaper. 800s and even 900s get cheaper every day, so who knows what things will be like in the fall?

FWIW, I definitely prefer the extra 20" of the Suburban - a functional 3rd row, a full 8' bed with the seats down/removed, and room for the dog, her bed, and cargo. When it comes down to it, I couldn't consider anything else except an Excursion but not everyone is as committed. ;)

Edit: I will add that one thing that really puts me off about both the Fords and the GMT800 is the full center console. I really prefer the extra free space in the older trucks.

Godson
April 24th, 2017, 03:53 AM
I find that funny. I love center consoles. They make the vehicle nicer feeling imo

thesameguy
April 24th, 2017, 08:37 AM
I think that's exactly what they're there for, and I think they do deliver on that. It's just not an attribute I'm looking for or value. I like having a big, open flat spot on the tunnel for whatever rather than more small pockets and compartments, and on long trips its a place to stretch out in. If I was going to DD the truck I might feel differently, but it's pretty much entirely utilitarian for me so big consoles just get in my way.

Random
April 24th, 2017, 08:39 AM
They certainly take away a handy spot for one's cooler on an inspection trip. Our older Expeditions had no center console/jump seat; the GMT900s do (though that was mostly because there aren't any good cupholders without it).

thesameguy
April 24th, 2017, 08:51 AM
Ha - yep! I have a tunnel-sized cooler we take camping. It also is a perfect spot for my laptop bag. :up:

novicius
April 24th, 2017, 08:52 AM
Muscle truck time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGjMIjNkwhc

Random
April 24th, 2017, 09:15 AM
One of the lawn installers that worked on our old house had something like that. Neat truck.

I'd probably put together a nice clean big-block F100:
http://pickups-for-sale.com/wp-content/pickups-for-sale.com/2015/12/1971-ford-f100-sport-custom-pickups-for-sale-2015-12-13-1.jpg
(But not with those wheels)

Random
May 2nd, 2017, 11:32 AM
Got the new intake boot installed on the Camry, but discovered that one of the other rubber bits that hooks into it has ripped. *grumble*

thesameguy
May 2nd, 2017, 11:35 AM
Can you use that silicone repair tape to put it back together?

Although, really, if some rubber is going everything in the area is probably getting ready to...

Random
May 2nd, 2017, 03:26 PM
I need to figure out what it's even called. :lol: It might just be a resonator.

Edit: it appears to just feed a resonator.

thesameguy
May 2nd, 2017, 03:37 PM
I need to figure out what it's even called. :lol: It might just be a resonator.

What an annoying thing to fail!

Random
May 2nd, 2017, 04:05 PM
It's really oddly designed. The tube is very thin rubber, but it's reinforced with a metal sleeve where it connects to the main intake, making it difficult to remove. The dude that posted the picture I found at ToyotaNation ended up finding a chunk of radiator hose to substitute. Hmm.

thesameguy
May 2nd, 2017, 08:52 PM
Radiator hose might alter the sound a bit and add some weight, but would certainly work. I have the ginormous Gates product catalog downloaded - I may have posted the link in my thread, but maybe not. Let me know if that's helpful and I can either find the source or upload it to onedrive. OTOH, maybe it's a not-too-bad dealer or junkyard item?

Random
May 6th, 2017, 09:47 PM
https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/6116838660.html

3/4 ton '02 4x4 Suburban for $5500? Miles never get mentioned, which probably means it has 250k on it.

Found a V10 4x4 Excursion for about the same price, too. Interior was pretty beat up.

thesameguy
May 6th, 2017, 11:02 PM
That thing looks really clean to have a million miles, but an 8.1l for $5500 has to have something questionable about it. If not, that thing is a towing machine for sure!

Random
May 21st, 2017, 06:55 PM
Camry back together with a new stock resonator (reasonably cheap on Amazon). Miata back on the road as of yesterday and today. Got the correct throttle body installed, TPS adjusted, and idle set (and reset).

Now to decide what to do with it... :lol:

Random
May 25th, 2017, 10:17 PM
Minor follow-up: had to move the Miata out of the garage to get our roof box out of the rafters. Car started right up, ran at high idle for a while, and then slowly idled down just like it's supposed to. Win. :D

Cam
May 26th, 2017, 04:26 AM

Random
May 31st, 2017, 02:25 PM
Hmm.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6129448427.html

thesameguy
May 31st, 2017, 02:36 PM
I don't know specifically how those gigantic engines hold up with time, but from folks on the RV forum they do very well until the mid-mileages at least. If it's a good bet for 100k on a motorhome, it should be able to do really well long-term on a Suburban, right? I'd probably inquire specifically on a GM trucks forum, but off the cuff it sure seems like a good purchase. (And, reaffirms my thoughts about replacing my '99 next year ;) )

Random
June 1st, 2017, 08:31 AM
Miata passed smog easily. w00t. It's almost like doing a tune-up makes the car run better!

novicius
June 1st, 2017, 08:35 AM
Crazypants! :D

Random
June 4th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Pro tip: make sure you have all the parts you need before putting the car on jack stands. Derp.

(For some reason I tossed the stock sway bar bushings when I put the Whitelines on the Camry...oops.)

Godson
June 4th, 2017, 10:20 AM
BTDT

Random
June 10th, 2017, 03:36 PM
http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2408&stc=1

Put the sticky stuff back on for a weekend of autocrossing. :)

Random
June 10th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Sticky stuff appears to be all over the lens of my potato cam, too. :p

Random
June 13th, 2017, 07:28 PM
First collision in the FiST...yay? Hit a coyote just outside Angel's Camp going about 50mph (me, not the coyote). Initial damage estimate looks like fender liner, fog light (gone, vaporized), whatever else is plastic behind that corner, and--unfortunately--one of the passenger side headlight housing clips, which means a new $120 housing. :|

Hosing the blood splat off my pass wheel was great. :(

KillerB
June 13th, 2017, 07:30 PM
Fucking coyotes... they're nowhere this aggressive back east. Just found out a friend's dog got attacked by one and barely survived.

Godson
June 13th, 2017, 07:48 PM
They are dangerous in the Midwest, known to attack people.

Drachen596
June 13th, 2017, 08:01 PM
Starting to see them around the outskirts of town here. Never seen them before the last year or two.

thesameguy
June 13th, 2017, 09:09 PM
Man, sorry to hear that on all levels. I've had do similar... recovery... no fun.

Random
June 13th, 2017, 09:57 PM
Fucking coyotes... they're nowhere this aggressive back east. Just found out a friend's dog got attacked by one and barely survived.

This one wasn't aggressive--just stupid. :lol:

dodint
June 14th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Weak. Doing the work yourself?

Random
June 14th, 2017, 09:55 PM
Assuming the bumper skin is ok, yes.

Random
June 15th, 2017, 11:34 AM
Seem about right for the market? https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/6117598979.html

High 100s, low 200s seems about the miles I'm going to have to be looking at for GMT800 3/4-ton 4x4 Suburban/Yukon XLs.

edit: this one keeps popping up in the Bay Area, too: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/6128038261.html

Random
June 15th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Aways down the "paralysis by analysis" road: the Yukons got some doodads that the Suburbans didn't, like nicer headlights.

Random
June 18th, 2017, 09:52 AM
On the flip side, it looks like some Yukons got AWD instead of 4WD?

In Fiesta news, I am attempting to glue the broken tab back on to the headlamp housing. Found the fog light sitting in the fender...need to see what is broken on its mount. The finer liner might go back together with some​ larger washers, or I may replaced it. Relatively cheap.

Random
June 18th, 2017, 07:07 PM
Glue fix didn't work. Oh well.

Godson
June 18th, 2017, 07:18 PM
The AWD was standard on the Denali, may ha e been an option know the others. No real clue. Denali also got the 4l60E HD

There is an epoxy called 4040 or some shit. That will do the trick. Just be careful, as whatever it gets on is....well ruined.

Random
June 20th, 2017, 09:12 PM
Doing these c/l searches would be easier if people weren't morons about filling out their vehicle details.

thesameguy
June 20th, 2017, 09:49 PM
Seems to go double on trucks where there are more options... capacities, tow options, etc. Always a pain.

Random
June 21st, 2017, 09:22 AM
New headlight installed, but I can feel and hear that something is not right in the bumper cover. Bah and fuck. :|

Jason
June 21st, 2017, 11:27 AM
"Animals Hate the FiST, Find Out Why!"

21Kid
June 21st, 2017, 02:22 PM
Didn't you already find out?

novicius
June 22nd, 2017, 04:20 AM
:lol: #zing

Jason
June 22nd, 2017, 08:03 AM
:(

Random
July 9th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Some what ifs and a stupid "never-owned-a-truck" question:

1) an A/B choice: 03 2500 4x4 Suburban with 140k for $8k -or- an 07 Yukon XL Denali (GMT900 truck!) with 200k for $11k? The Yukon has a 6-speed tranny and 6.2-liter V8. The Suburban has Ye Olde 8.1 and (presumably) the 4-sp 4L80 or 4L85.

2) What about combining the two (sort of) into this 05 Yukon XL 2500? https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=460192486 (https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.autotrader.com%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fvehicledetails.xhtml%3FlistingId%3D46019248 6%26&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGdEGdhMM0rqU9r3uPztTNfr_zjxg) edit: just found out that this truck is sold. Oh well.

3) If you change the rear gear in a 4x4, do you need to change the front diff ratio to match?

JoshInKC
July 9th, 2017, 02:46 PM
I don't know any real in-depth info about gm trucks past about 1987, but based on my limited experience, you'll likely have a substantially better driving experience with either of the Yukons as far a comfort and probably mpgs are concerned.

Regarding ? 3 - Absolutely, otherwise you'll be in a world of shit.

thesameguy
July 9th, 2017, 05:31 PM
What are planning to tow? I would probably factor that heavily into the conversation. Feeding an 8.1l if you're just towing a Miata seems like... wretched excess. ;)

Random
July 9th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Oh, the 8.1 is definitely overkill, but the big block trucks seem more common than the 6.0.

thesameguy
July 9th, 2017, 06:04 PM
Have you ruled out the 5.3l? I'd think for most jobs it should be fine and will help you at the pump when you're not towing.

Otherwise, between those two it's a tough call, but I'd probably lean towards the '03. The money saved buys a lot of gas. :D

Random
July 9th, 2017, 06:12 PM
I've ruled out the 4L60 more than the 5.3. I think the 6-liter 2500s are kind of the sweet spot, probably.

Random
July 9th, 2017, 06:29 PM
Follow-up question would be, are 100k miles worth $3500?

257k: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6200909828.html
138k: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6197307601.html

FWIW, here's some of my thought process:
2500 to avoid the 4L60
4x4, not AWD
2003+ preferred; the mid-cycle refresh reportedly fixed a number of niggly design issues.
The Yukon XL offers some attractive parts-bin upgrades (like OEM projector headlights).

Example of a 2001 6-liter 2500: https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/6190216009.html

thesameguy
July 9th, 2017, 07:12 PM
All seems fair. I'd need more information on the 257k vs. 138k question - $3500 would pay for an engine refresh, but wouldn't pay for an engine+transmission+suspension refresh so condition & maintenance would play a big part. With no other info, the lower mileage is probably worth $3500. I do agree the 2500/6l is the best option. I'm shocked at the sudden expense and apparent rarity of Suburbans!

Random
July 9th, 2017, 07:29 PM
There's a shitload of 1500s.

edit: and once you know to look for it, an amazing number of the ads talk about rebuilt or new transmissions. :lol:

thesameguy
July 9th, 2017, 07:51 PM
Yeah... guessing maybe back in the '80s everyone bought 2500s because they were still trucks, but in the '00s people realized half tons carried soccer balls just as well as three quarter tons.

FWIW, moving into the '00s probably alleviates some concerns with the 4L60. They did get improved over time. Might be worth some research? And they and swapping them isn't horrifically expensive - there might be some math to do there .

Random
July 9th, 2017, 08:09 PM
Thoughts from a poster at rrax that used to run a transmission shop:

If you decide on a 1500 with a 4L60 I recommend the following:

Service the transmission annually, or every 25k miles, whichever comes first. Without exception. Use name brand synthetic fluid.

Add as big a transmission cooler as will fit in the grill ahead of the factory radiator/condenser. The truck will likely have an OE cooler but its not big enough.

Budget for a replacement transmission. When it happens; buy a GM reman (Aaron's Automotive Group is GM's supplier). You can have it installed at most any shop and maintain the warranty but double check when you buy it. The warranty is then valid at any GM dealer.

Most importantly; learn to tow with this transmission. You can tow in OD but you need to learn the shift sequence and torque converter application. Learn how the converter clutch dis-engages and how to tell. Never tow in circumstances that cause the transmission to run in OD with the clutch dis-engaged. That is the fastest way to ruin the transmission. (It will overheat very quickly) Learn to anticipate the converter clutch dis-engagement when you come to hills and downshift to 3rd before the clutch releases and climb the hill in third.

Add an OBDII port transmitter and run the Torque Pro app on your phone to monitor "gear", "TCC Apply" and transmission temperature. With this you can monitor the trans operation and avoid the conditions that result in pre-mature failure.

dodint
July 9th, 2017, 09:09 PM
Torque is fantastic.

thesameguy
July 9th, 2017, 09:38 PM
That bit about OD w/ TC disengagement is no joke. You can definitely tell when it happens! BadBob gave me the same advice years and years ago and I've always followed it.

I think annual service is excessive for a "sometimes tow" vehicle. With a big cooler and a deep pan (also useful for added case rigidity) you can monitor your transmission temps, they will probably be low. But, you can base your fluid changes on how hot the fluid gets and how long it stays that way. Fluid that stays under 180 degrees will last a really, really long time. As it gets hotter, it breaks down and fails. I think it completely fails at like 240 degrees. GM tends to run their transmissions on the edge (I don't know why) so they don't last. That bit about TC disengagement really heats up the fluid. Take precautions, monitor fluid, probably fine for a good long life. OTOH, they are cheap & cheap to rebuild, so if it's a two grand premium to get the 4L80 and that's the reason to get one, meh, a nice 1500 and a $2k rainy day fund might be ok.

Buuuuuuut if you're not in a hurry, I would totally hold out for a six liter. ;)

Random
July 9th, 2017, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I mean...I haven't even backed the Miata out of the garage to wash it yet. :lol:

thesameguy
July 10th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Well, don't. :P

Random
July 22nd, 2017, 01:15 PM
Cleaning some stuff out of the garage: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/wto/d/six-motegi-mr-wheels-mm/6231399604.html

Random
July 23rd, 2017, 08:50 PM
Well, that was quick:
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20245537_10213896459952307_5524339535774857367_n.j pg?oh=d6eb2ebe884175df5789a675ff949740&oe=59EEE76A

Sold to a guy on the local ST/RS FB group. :)

GB
July 24th, 2017, 05:18 PM
:eek: :up:

Random
September 13th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Any thoughts on 08+ Expeditions?

The two-piece spark plug deal with the 5.4 was supposedly resolved by a head redesign in late 2007. A few reviews grumble a little bit about a lack of power, but I'm not really planning on drag racing it...

I'm seeing a few trucks like this around: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2008-ford-expedition-xlt/6292973769.html

thesameguy
September 13th, 2017, 10:42 AM
Little personal knowledge, but I'm interested to know as well. :) The only thing I'm aware of is the 6R80 replacing the 6R75 in 2009, but I'm not sure what that means for the average vehicle. I know the 80 is better, but not whether the 75 was bad.

Random
September 13th, 2017, 10:53 AM
"Expedition's 6-speed 6R75 automatic was replaced by an improved version, the 6-speed 6R80 automatic. 6R80 features more robust internals, new software logic and a tow/haul mode (replaces the overdrive lock-out) that utilizes new uphill/downhill gradient (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_(slope)) shift logic for improved performance while towing or hauling heavy loads. The 6-speed automatic can compensate for altitude (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude), grade/slope and present load conditions. The system also reduces the transmission's tendency to "hunt" for the right gear(s) and provides engine braking when descending hills."

Those all seem like good things.

thesameguy
September 13th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Yeah, but I don't know how necessary. For a weekend hauler you can probably get away with a bunch of stuff that you'd want to avoid in daily use. For me, durability would be the only real consideration - it's flat enough between Sacramento and most places I tow to that gear hunting and incline logic wouldn't come into play often enough for me to care. I just don't want to foot the bill for a repair that wouldn't have been necessary with a newer transmission.

novicius
September 13th, 2017, 11:05 AM
Any thoughts on 08+ Expeditions?
Yep love 'em. Gonna replace my '03 Explorer with one. :up:

Godson
September 15th, 2017, 09:31 AM
They were solid vehicles IIRC. I'd recommend only using Ford Oil filters. Only have the dealer do the spark plugs. You need 80$ worth of tools to swap them out. I don't remember if they have cam Phaser issues.

The 6r80 in my f150, and many like it have an issue where the transmission hits pretty damned hard in first gear from a slower Accel. Doesn't happen a whole lot, and I can't replicate it repeatedly. I've been told it's a server or something that requires trans out servicing. So most people don't bother with it.

I LOVE the hill descent in my truck, and the tow/haul mode is great for me too. But I'm towing well over 6500lbs fairly often with the Jeep and trailer.

I also really liked the interior and feel of the expedition.

Downside on them, they don't get the fuel mileage as the GM counterparts.

thesameguy
September 15th, 2017, 11:41 AM
They were solid vehicles IIRC. I'd recommend only using Ford Oil filters. Only have the dealer do the spark plugs. You need 80$ worth of tools to swap them out. I don't remember if they have cam Phaser issues.

Do you still need those tools on the later engines? I thought sometime around '08 it was no longer necessary.

Godson
September 15th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Maybe? I just knew the risk wasn't worth the benefit once you figure in cost and time.

Random
September 15th, 2017, 12:52 PM
So....

$7k '05 3/4-ton, 6-liter Suburban 4x4 vs. $10k '10 Expedition 4x4.

Go.

thesameguy
September 15th, 2017, 01:17 PM
What's the mileage on the Suburban?

I'm sure the Expedition is the nicer truck - '10 Ford interiors are real plush and they had excellent, totally modern suspension. The electronics package is probably head and shoulders. I doubt there is a functional difference in terms of performance - just driving or towing, I'll bet 99% of the time they do everything the same. I am a lot more comfortable with the GM drivetrain - if one of them was going to save my life, I'd bet on the engine, transmission, and transfer case in the Suburban. Somewhat related, the tools you need to manage the Suburban are a lot more accessible than the tools you need to manage the Expedition; I'd expect more trips to the dealer on the Ford for things that can't be done at home. That could be 1 vs 0, just more.

I would probably inquire about insurance and see if that creates a reason to choose one over the other. Maybe look a bit at maintenance to see if one needs stuff sooner than the other - tires, brakes, steering or suspension components. Stuff that wears out on trucks.

In my mind it's virtually a tossup... since, personally, I don't care too much about the interior or electronics much and I truly believe the actual drive is six of one & half dozen of the other, and all else equal (insurance, maintenance, etc.) I'd save the $3k.

One thing I will say: If it wasn't an 09+ Expedition, I'd discard it completely unless it was tangibly cheaper. There is nothing about the pre '09 Expeditions that would cause me to pay a penny extra for them vs the Suburban. The '09, though, with all the improvements (read Wikipedia the other day), I'd definitely have a real conversation about.

Random
September 15th, 2017, 01:35 PM
190k on the 'Burb.

thesameguy
September 15th, 2017, 02:17 PM
Jesus. How can people afford that? That's like $38,000 of gas in ten years. I spent around $20k and it feels crippling. What's the Ford like?

Random
September 15th, 2017, 02:52 PM
140-150k on a couple different examples.

thesameguy
September 15th, 2017, 03:14 PM
That makes me lean a bit back towards the Expedition option.... so... flip a coin?

Godson
September 15th, 2017, 04:02 PM
Something to remember, GMs rear seats don't fold flat, and aren't easy to access the third row. Expedition also has sound screen front windshield and thicker side glass for noise reduction. Which is a huge thing on long trips.

I think in 2010 Expedition got anti-trailer sway standard, along with stabili-trac.

21Kid
September 21st, 2017, 06:40 AM
That could be helpful.

Random
October 7th, 2017, 12:07 PM
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1994-mazda-miata-package/6336786415.html

:) and :(

thesameguy
October 7th, 2017, 04:21 PM
Wow. Bittersweet indeed. :|

Random
October 15th, 2017, 11:06 AM
Sold!

dodint
October 15th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Woot!

Random
October 15th, 2017, 08:31 PM
Minor snafu with a dead battery that won't charge. Buyer is replacing the battery on my dime--I should have done it. :|

Idle picked "after sale" as the best time to act up again, too. I wonder if a new battery will stabilize it?

thesameguy
October 16th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Sold as-is, no warranty. Buyer beware!

Random
October 16th, 2017, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I know. But the buyer is a local autocrosser, so I don't want to have issues in the future. I also don't want rumors going around that I sold him a lemon, either. :|

thesameguy
October 16th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Fair enough... kinda surprised anyone would have such an expectation, but I get it. :)

Random
October 16th, 2017, 12:49 PM
I think he was mostly grumpy that I hadn't mentioned it. In my defense, the car started right up that morning, so... idk. That battery was pretty old and had been run completely flat multiple times, so it was really something I should have taken care of.

CudaMan
October 16th, 2017, 01:11 PM
When I bought my RX-7 it started up fine for the test drive, and after completing the sale I went to start the car for the 4 hour drive home. But the battery was dead. I rang the doorbell and asked if he had any jumper cables. He did and I was on my way. A week or so later I found a check in the mail for $70. Stand up guy.

dodint
October 16th, 2017, 01:15 PM
I bought the RC-51 and it started fine for the test ride. Even rode it about an hour closer to home and stopped in Raleigh. Went to leave and it was flat dead. :lol:

Some guy driving by gave me a jump and I rode it about another hour to an Autozone and picked up the biggest battery that would fit.

Godson
October 17th, 2017, 06:27 AM
Same thing happened for me on the monster.

Rode it with the guy, rode it to my hotel, and to grab food, went to start it back up to go home. DEAD.

Random
October 17th, 2017, 06:36 AM
Buyer reports that car was totally fine after the battery swap, and he just drove it to LA.

"So much tighter than my other 94R!"

dodint
October 17th, 2017, 06:49 AM
Awesome. Glad you worked it out, I hate when I sell something and don't get a clean break. So to speak.

Phil_SS
October 17th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Tyler is good at those.

Godson
October 17th, 2017, 10:52 AM
Tyler is good at those.

Well.....

Random
October 18th, 2017, 10:53 AM
I'm back to paralysis by analysis:

$6500 for a 3/4 'Burb: https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-chevy-suburbanx4/6329734990.html
$10k for a Expedition: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/ford-expedition-2010-clean/6339548376.html

Even being a base model, I'm sure the Expedition is a nicer truck in pretty much every way. A tad smaller, of course. Hmm. There's also this Expedition EL at a local used lot: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2009-ford-expedition-el/6350118717.html but local used lots scare me.

thesameguy
October 18th, 2017, 11:17 AM
Yeah, the local lot is increasingly terrifying. I consider the Aero a complete success because it needed only about $800 worth of stuff the second I drove it off the lot. If these guys would deal like they used to it'd be a risk maybe worth taking, but paying a premium for an auction car that's never been driven by the seller with zero service history... I wouldn't throw $10k at that. If you're moving up to that budget and that age range, you should be able to move to a reputable dealer.... may still have the same issues, but they're likely to be compliant about it, maybe offer a short-term warranty or something?

No doubt the Expedition is a nicer truck. '01 vs. '10 is literally night and day, pre and post the Nice Truck revolution. For me, it'd be about the Benjamins since I don't drive the truck that often, use it only for hauling dogs and cars, and have absolutely zero sensitivity to "nice" in a truck. But, I suspect you will use it more often and you do have kids & their safety & comfort to worry about. I think likely a sacrifice of purchase and maintenance dollars makes sense. Almost guaranteed a '10 Expedition is worlds safer than an '01 Suburban. You could also look at newer Tahoes & Yukons. They are weighty and competent for towing anything but the biggest shit. Hell, get an Avalanche or EXT!

Edit: Nevermind, those things are still damned pricey!

Random
October 18th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Yeah, the GMT900 prices have stayed pretty healthy, certainly in comparison with the mid/late 3rd Gen Expeditions.

thesameguy
October 18th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Although in the past I think generally a GM truck is more reliable (or, at least cheaper to operate) and more competent than a Ford truck, ~10 year old truck prices don't justify whatever that difference may be... if it's still even a thing. I don't think a $6500 '01 with 180k is at all justified by what you get. $10k for a '10 seems fair to me. The former is definitely some weird premium; the latter is just used car pricing. I might feel differently if this was a single-purpose vehicle - like you're towing a 5000lb trailer to a work site every day - but for occasional towing and family hauling and camping? Some mild inconvenience sometimes is just not a big deal. Slow lane, down shift, whatever.

I've had zero performance issues with the 1/2 ton '99 Suburban... I am positive a '10 Expedition is going to be a much better experience all around.

Random
October 18th, 2017, 01:00 PM
The other option, of course, is to back away from my scope creep and roll the dice with a 1500/4L60 combo. The Z71 owners seem just as proud of their trucks as the 2500 owners, though.

thesameguy
October 18th, 2017, 01:17 PM
It's not a bad approach I don't think. If you save $1500, you've paid for a rebuilt transmission to get installed at some point, if it ever comes up. As long as you get the factory tow package or replicate it (note the gears), you really should be fine with any sort of well maintained truck. Or, find one with a trashed transmission and start off with a new one. ;) If I hadn't lucked into the truck I have, I probably would have gone that way.

You know me, I always take the shotgun approach - create the widest possibility of acceptable answers and then choose the first one that presents itself. :)

neanderthal
October 18th, 2017, 05:29 PM
2007 Tahoes start at about $9k on craigslist down here. Far superior vehicle to the Expedition in my opinion.

thesameguy
October 19th, 2017, 06:48 AM
The 6R is a six-speed automatic transmission for longitudinal engine placement in rear-wheel drive vehicles. It is based on the ZF 6HP26 transmission[1] and is built under license by the Ford Motor Company at its Livonia Transmission plant in Livonia, Michigan.

I did not know that.

Random
October 19th, 2017, 08:05 AM
2007 Tahoes start at about $9k on craigslist down here. Far superior vehicle to the Expedition in my opinion.

Gotta go 09+ in the Tahoes to get the 6-speed and the only one under 5-figures in the Sacto/Bay Area has 235k on it. :|

(I agree, they are nice trucks--we've got three in the pen here at work.)

Random
October 19th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Ha, I started looking at some details. We have a really nice pop-up shade structure that we take camping. Steel bars, heavy duty cover, etc. I transport it on the roof rack of the Camry, because it's big.

Apparently it's too big. According to the specs I found online, it 1) won't fit crossways in any of the trucks, 2) won't fit behind the 2nd seat of a regular Expedition, 3) won't fit behind the 2nd seat of an Expedition EL (!), but 4) WILL fit behind the 2nd seat of a Suburban.

Lesson learned: don't buy a shade structure that only folds down to 62" long. :lol:

thesameguy
October 19th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Or, only buy Suburbans. ;) 62" is definitely big though! Seems like it should fit at a 45 degree angle in any of them, no?

Random
October 19th, 2017, 11:36 AM
Or, only buy Suburbans. ;) 62" is definitely big though! Seems like it should fit at a 45 degree angle in any of them, no?

Packing Tetris does not permit 45-degree angles. :mad:

thesameguy
October 20th, 2017, 07:25 AM
Packing Tetris demands it!!!! 45 degrees in two dimensions against the back of the 3rd row seat is an ULTIMATE ACHIEVEMENT. It takes patience and practice but pays off immediately.

pl8ster
October 20th, 2017, 08:53 AM
$10k for a Expedition: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/ford-expedition-2010-clean/6339548376.html

I've never seen an Expedition in that trim level that wasn't some kind of municipal vehicle.

Random
October 20th, 2017, 09:34 AM
I've never seen an Expedition in that trim level that wasn't some kind of municipal vehicle.

For sure. I think the 2015 sale moved it into private ownership--the plate kind of backs that up, too.

CudaMan
October 20th, 2017, 09:35 AM
I'm with tsg. ;) It helps to have soft bags to pack around the large object!

Random
October 21st, 2017, 01:47 PM
Father-in-law's F150 was just stolen. :mad:

Random
October 21st, 2017, 07:17 PM
Well, the Truckee Expedition doesn't have the third row seats, so that's off the list.

Random
October 21st, 2017, 09:50 PM
Back to looking at Suburbans: https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/d/2500-suburban-lt-2001/6347135723.html

6-liter, according to the VIN. Wish there were more pics.

thesameguy
October 22nd, 2017, 10:12 AM
I am skeptical of Oakdale and everyone in it.

Probably find your dad's truck there.

Random
October 22nd, 2017, 10:31 AM
:lol:

Random
October 28th, 2017, 11:00 AM
Father-in-law's F150 was just stolen. :mad:

Recovered in Rio Linda minus the bed cap, tools, and one tire. He's having it towed to the dealer for a full check-up.

He's a little bummed because he was looking forward to picking up a new Ecoboost+10-sp truck. :lol:

Godson
October 28th, 2017, 11:25 AM
He might be able to still get insurance to buy it.

thesameguy
October 28th, 2017, 08:57 PM
Wasn't there also a duffel bag of cash behind the passenger seat?

Random
October 30th, 2017, 08:26 AM
If there was, it got spent at Walmart, based on the hangars and clothing left in the cab. :p

thesameguy
October 30th, 2017, 08:45 AM
I guess be happy it wasn't covered in various fluids and balled up in the Los Santos River. That's what happens to cars I steal, usually.

Random
October 30th, 2017, 09:04 AM
I guess be happy it wasn't covered in various fluids and balled up in the Los Santos River. That's what happens to cars I steal, usually.

Which reminds me to tell f-i-l to get the truck steam cleaned. :lol:

thesameguy
October 30th, 2017, 09:06 AM
Or stock up...

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Chemical-Resistant-Coverall-Elastic-Attached/dp/B01N6UH4HR

Random
October 30th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Back to looking at Suburbans: https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/d/2500-suburban-lt-2001/6347135723.html

6-liter, according to the VIN. Wish there were more pics.

This is looking a little more promising. 142k miles. Good paint condition, according to the seller. Has been towing a horse trailer, which is not exactly an easy life. She's going to take some more interior pics for me.

thesameguy
October 30th, 2017, 10:30 AM
Not an easy life, but it's probably up to the challenge. I guess the upside is that people towing horse trailers probably don't want to end up broken down on the side of the road, so it probably *has* been maintained. Interesting that with such credentials it's still available... might just be a bad location. If you go check it out you should swing by and grab the Tech 2.

Random
October 30th, 2017, 10:47 AM
I'm wondering if the barn doors are a turn-off for people. Maybe just the age. Interestingly, the only 2500s on c/l at the moment are '01s.

thesameguy
October 30th, 2017, 10:54 AM
I have *usually* read that people prefer the barn doors, but I may be reading biased forums. ;) I preferred the barn doors myself, but couldn't find any when I was looking. Retrospectively, I made the right call - the tailgate is way more convenient most of the time. :D

Random
October 30th, 2017, 11:03 AM
Keep in mind that the GMT800s got a lift gate, rather than a tail gate. That seems to muddy the waters a little bit.

thesameguy
October 30th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Ah, yeah, true. I would DEFINITELY not choose that. Barn doors for sure. I've turned out to like the tail gate because it's easy to pop the glass and put stuff in back. I would be far less fond if access to the back required lifting a giant door. It's a clearance issue, not an effort issue. I wouldn't be enough for me to summarily turn down an otherwise good truck, but still a consideration.

Random
October 30th, 2017, 01:34 PM
After many field trips with our fleet of liftgate-having SUVs, I like the portable shade/umbrella aspect of them. :D

But yeah, unlikely to make or break a truck in this scenario.

I think my unicorn is still an 03+ with the 6-liter. *twiddle*

thesameguy
October 30th, 2017, 02:18 PM
I guess this is one situation where the Expedition has the right answer...

Random
October 30th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Expeditions are also liftgate. The Excursion did the weird hybrid with a top half that lifted and a bottom half that were barn doors.

Godson
October 30th, 2017, 03:41 PM
Expeditions are also liftgate. The Excursion did the weird hybrid with a top half that lifted and a bottom half that were barn doors.

They rattle like a mother....

neanderthal
October 30th, 2017, 08:33 PM
Found this... (https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/2013-chevrolet-suburban-1500/6363780644.html)

thesameguy
October 30th, 2017, 08:44 PM
Well, that sucks! :D

Excursion it is!

Random
October 30th, 2017, 08:58 PM
Found this... (https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/2013-chevrolet-suburban-1500/6363780644.html)

That's missing a 1.

thesameguy
October 31st, 2017, 08:47 AM
Or it's a scam. Either way.

Random
November 3rd, 2017, 12:33 PM
Got the spare set of wheels for the Miata sold today (BBS alloys). :up: Down to just a lame strut tower bar that came with the car when I bought it, which I may give away to my neighbor or may hang up as a towel bar. Probably more useful as a towel bar. :lol:

Random
November 6th, 2017, 02:28 PM
Handy chart when shopping for gas-guzzlers:

mpg
gal/1000mi
fuel cost @ 3.50/gal

Interesting to look at, but really supports the idea that fuel economy isn't a big differentiator in trucks that are only given occasional use.

thesameguy
November 6th, 2017, 02:45 PM
I would definitely aim for the 8l, then. :D

Random
November 10th, 2017, 10:20 AM
http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2720&stc=1

Tirerack likes my car. :D

novicius
November 10th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Rockstar. :up: :up:

CudaMan
November 10th, 2017, 10:37 AM
Awesome!

Reynard
November 10th, 2017, 05:07 PM
Sweet! :cool:

Now a stupid question. Did they notify you/ask before finalizing the ad or did you just discover it upon it's release?

Random
November 10th, 2017, 08:44 PM
No notification, just happened to see it. Likely in the fine print of their agreement with the SCCA.

dodint
November 10th, 2017, 09:19 PM
Given that it's happened twice now I'm curious what it is about your car that they like.

My guess is they either sent someone to an event, or purchased all the images from one event from someone, and they happened to have needed a blue car to fit their copy. Then of all the blue cars yours had the best posture for what they were trying to convey.

Or you have a secret admirer.

thesameguy
November 10th, 2017, 09:29 PM
PAYOLA

novicius
November 11th, 2017, 04:34 AM
:lol: :up:

Kchrpm
November 11th, 2017, 04:47 AM
I was genuine in my thoughts in chat that Tire Rack knows their demo has a ton of FiSTs and people that would enjoy the number 69.

Random
November 11th, 2017, 06:35 PM
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-chevy-suburban-4-4/6382788463.html

Some day people will include useful information in their ads.

Random
November 11th, 2017, 08:25 PM
So here's a spectrum:
04 1500 w/ rebuilt tranny, 176k, $3600: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-chevrolet-suburban-ltx4/6383418009.html
03 1500 133k, $5000: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-chevrolet-suburban/6365701449.html
05 2500 posted above, miles unknown, $6900: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-chevy-suburban-4-4/6382788463.html

edit:
03 Yukon XL 2500, 232k, $4500: https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-gmc-yukonx4-slt/6368848633.html

thesameguy
November 13th, 2017, 09:30 AM
I'm skeptical of that '05 - can't even get the seat count right. Really?

I'd be tempted to at least check out both those half-tons. For a part-time vehicle, 176k doesn't inherently worry me but I also don't know much about how those trucks age. Squeaks, broken stuff, etc. It'd be educational to compare them.

Although I don't think there isn't an *inherent* reason to worry about 232k, by the same token that's just old. I would be concerned about things in wear-out mode. If it's aesthetically in good shape I might consider rolling the dice while budgeting for a major repair. But, by the same token, I think a 5.3l will do you just fine, better fuel economy when not towing is not bad, and at the same entry price who cares whether you're replacing a 232k 6.0 or a 133k 4L60? Seems lateral. Actually, the transmission replacement is very likely the much cheaper option.

Edit: Very likely the cheaper option assuming you're paying someone... parts cost is probably very similar all said and done.

Godson
November 13th, 2017, 04:17 PM
5.3 in some of the GM have shit castings that cause coolant seepage into the intake runners on the heads....

thesameguy
November 14th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Definitely on the table. I don't know that there is a good way to check for those cracks without a substantial teardown, but by the same token I would imagine most 15 year old 5.3s that are still running are okay. Those problems were becoming apparent just a few years after the cars hit the roads.

Random
November 14th, 2017, 11:39 AM
Why are people so weird/resistant about smogging vehicles for sale, like they are required to?

CudaMan
November 14th, 2017, 12:32 PM
My guess is the car failed and the owner thinks (right or wrong) it'll take more effort and money than they want to put into it.

Godson
November 14th, 2017, 01:45 PM
Definitely on the table. I don't know that there is a good way to check for those cracks without a substantial teardown, but by the same token I would imagine most 15 year old 5.3s that are still running are okay. Those problems were becoming apparent just a few years after the cars hit the roads.

Buddies did it 2 years ago.

thesameguy
November 14th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Why are people so weird/resistant about smogging vehicles for sale, like they are required to?

IME, most sellers aren't aware of their actual legal obligation to do it, and once they've put a car up for sale they are 100% done putting money into it. A $60 smog "they don't have to" do just eats into whatever they're getting for it. What you do at that point depends entirely on your comfort level - buy it and hope, or walk... the seller doesn't care... if you don't buy it, someone else will. Or so they think. But someone probably will... because most buyers don't know the law, either. :|

Good news is that all the trucks you're looking for are Y2k+ so it's just the e-test. You could *probably* bring along an OBDII code reader, check for readiness, and drive immediately from pickup to the smog test place. As long as you bring a spare gas cap, it's 99.9% certain to pass. The only thing that could really hose you would be an evap leak, and on *most* vehicles that'd trigger a CEL. As certain Mustang owners have observed. :P

On occasion, I have used this to my advantage - actually showed the seller the DMV page detailing their obligation, and then talked them down $100+ for taking on the risk. I've only had to argue about it once - everyone else either got the smog or gave the discount when presented with the evidence.

dodint
November 14th, 2017, 04:31 PM
I had no trouble selling the car with that leak. ;)

Random
November 22nd, 2017, 08:51 AM
I have a set of TD ProRace 1.2s up for sale, if anyone needs them. ;)

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/wto/d/bnib-16x7-team-dynamics/6381566796.html

edit: Sold! To an Audi driver--they fit the early 80s Audis (mechanically and stylistically). :)

FaultyMario
December 28th, 2017, 02:09 PM
Give Justin a 2018 hug when you see him.

Tell him I miss his automotive musings.

Random
December 29th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Will do. We had lunch before xmas; he's doing well. :)

Random
December 29th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Took half an hour and reset the rear shocks on the FiST from "stun" to "totally reasonable." Still not sure why Koni decided to make these internal adjust--the ZX3 had external adjust and a nearly identical mounting arrangement. :erm: Anyhow, it's a pain in the ass to re-adjust these. Mostly the part where you have to get the upper mount bolts lined back up by feel. Grr.

Random
April 17th, 2018, 08:07 PM
Finally pulled the trigger on a truck, much to the relief of the google Hangouts crew. :p

2003 Suburban 2500 4x4, 6-liter V8, 3.73 gears, pretty much all the comfort and convenience bells and whistles. No sunroof, which I am totally ok with. 119k miles, in pretty nice condition for its age. Has the ripped driver's seat that ALL the GMT800 trucks have at this age. :D

Things to take care of:
Cheesy, cheap LED lights. OEM lights came with the truck and will be swapped back on ASAP.
The shocks are pretty done.
Need to do the "pump rub" mod to prevent destruction of the transfer case.
Tune-up.

dodint
April 17th, 2018, 08:14 PM
Finally pulled the trigger on a truck, much to the relief of the google Hangouts crew. :p

Yeah, and your spouse. :assclown:

Very nice! Wish BadBob were around to see it.

Godson
April 18th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Pretty cool!

Ashie
April 19th, 2018, 08:15 AM
Congrats again. Now there is plenty of room for all the baseball gear and Lego!!!!

speedpimp
April 21st, 2018, 06:04 PM
Lots of room for LED light bars.

pl8ster
April 24th, 2018, 10:59 AM
Wow, that's low mileage. I remember the ripped seat thing, ha. Does the 6.0 have the same lifter noise that the 4.8 and 5.3 did?

Random
April 24th, 2018, 07:56 PM
It's got a cold tick that I can't decide if it is lifter noise or a small exhaust leak.

"SERVICE 4WD" came up on the dash yesterday--joy. tsg's TEC-2 says it's the transfer case encoder, a common problem that is relatively easy to fix. Particularly since I need to pull the transfer case to inspect it for pump rub.

dodint
April 24th, 2018, 08:16 PM
Mmm, pump rub. Kinky.

pl8ster
April 25th, 2018, 06:28 AM
It's got a cold tick that I can't decide if it is lifter noise or a small exhaust leak.

My 4.8 had a slight tick when cold, nothing like some stories I heard about an almost diesel-like clatter. I always assumed it was lifter noise since that seemed to be what everyone else was talking about, but who knows?

Have fun with that pump rub!

Godson
April 25th, 2018, 08:26 AM
LS can be notorious for piston slap too.

But most of the time it is lifter noise.

Random
August 17th, 2023, 07:31 PM
So, uh, where did we leave off? :lol:

Returned to Naomi's parents: 00 Camry sedan. Replaced with a base model (2-liter NA, CVT) 2019 Civic sedan:

Sold: the 03 Suburban. Purchased for $800 from a friend that was upgrading to a Crosstrek, a 2003 Forester XS:

Blue cars only!

Sold: the 2015 Fiesta ST. We were actually down to two cars for a brief time. :eek:

Purchased: 2003 Toyota MR-2 Spyder

Sold: the Spyder. Purchased 2013 Scion FR-S (Godson's old car (http://gtxforums.net/showthread.php?2071-Godson-2013-Scion-FR-S)):

Sold: the Forester. Purchased 2008 V6 4Runner 4x4:

So, current fleet is Civic (FWD), FR-S (RWD), and 4Runner (4WD). :)

FaultyMario
August 17th, 2023, 07:58 PM
I looove that Hilux!

Leon
August 18th, 2023, 04:23 AM
That's an excellent selection of steeds :)

dodint
August 18th, 2023, 05:13 AM
The Scion is fun, I drove it backward through a field in Texas one time (skip to 3:50):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzWlvo9owe4

Godson
August 18th, 2023, 09:35 AM
That car was a lot of fun for me. I wish I had kept it longer, but then I wouldn't be doing what I am doing now. If ever.