PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 4

GreatScawt
June 5th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Figured this would have had a thread! :lol:

Big announcement recently, Fallout 4 is officially official. Probably some gameplay and release date announcement at E3 in a couple weeks.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE2BkLqMef4

I think it looks fantastic, but I'm biased. I just want more Fallout, with an updated engine and graphics, and it seems that's what this is. :up:

And a hilarious Fallout 3-related send-off video where they totally fuck with it. Tears :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHBzVTCO3nM

Rare White Ape
June 5th, 2015, 01:31 PM
I'm interested in this.

But then again, I was interested in Fallout 3 based on its sweet announcement trailer, and played it for about four hours.

GreatScawt
June 5th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Fallout 3 was weird for me. I played it a little before losing interest. But I came back a while later and just got hooked to the point where I blasted through the game and most of the DLC... such a great experience. Especially having a badass companion in Fawkes for a lot of it.

TheBenior
June 6th, 2015, 04:04 AM
I had a similar experience with Fallout 3. I played it for a bit, then stopped for several months while I was doing a lot of online dating. Once the now-wife started playing it, I got back to it and played the hell out of it.

Rare White Ape
June 6th, 2015, 03:55 PM
I never had that return to it like you guys did. I think the main reasons were getting a PS3 (I had the game on Xbox) and switching almost all of my gaming in that direction.

Blerpa
June 7th, 2015, 02:56 AM
Fallout 4? Looks like Fallout 3 Deluxe with a more varied and colourful palette. That sounds perfect to me :D
And, damn, when my gaming PC went up in flames - literally - 3 years ago I lost my FO3 saves and lost interest in restarting it (suffice to say I didn't even have a PC to play with it back then, too).
But I may get back to it if new videocard and PSU will do their part, next week.

FO3, FO New Vegas, Skyrim... hell, I've plenty of games to catch up before FO4 hits Steam and the next Elder Scrolls gets announced! Let's hurry up!!! :lol:

21Kid
June 8th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Alongside Green Man Gaming offering Fallout 4 preorders for $46, Steam has discounted the entire Fallout series. You can get Fallout 3 or New Vegas for $5 each, or the Game of the Year/Ultimate editions for $12 each. The pre-Bethesda games are discounted, too; you can get the Fallout Classic Collection for just $12. In case anyone wanted to catch up. :)

GreatScawt
June 8th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Yup! I already got that F4 deal. Couldn't help myself. Greenmangaming is pretty great. I'm kind of kicking myself for passing up on their $10 XCOM complete edition sale (plus you could use the 23% off coupon on top of that). D'oh

GreatScawt
December 17th, 2015, 07:47 PM
WTF? - No one playing this? This has been taking a lot of my time lately. It's so, so good.

http://i.imgur.com/ixFBIVN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UaiCmhN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/klCoQUG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mPvf0Vz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mAetlVh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NU2aTAr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6hqc8U4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fBSmgws.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EzcV3y2.jpg

TheBenior
December 17th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Wife got me a PS4 Pip Boy Edition for Christmas, but I'm still playing MGS5 anyway.

drew
December 18th, 2015, 01:50 AM
I got it. Have about 4 hours in it, no clue what I'm doing yet, but it seems interesting.

Dicknose
December 18th, 2015, 02:33 AM
Got it as a gift when I left work, sitting at home waiting for me to come home and play it.

21Kid
December 18th, 2015, 06:01 AM
Got it. I've played about 12 hrs. I really like it. :)

tigeraid
December 18th, 2015, 08:14 AM
fuuuuuuuuuuu impatiently finishing The Witcher 3 while I wait for a FA4 sale.

novicius
December 18th, 2015, 08:20 AM
That's a good plan. :up:

Tom Servo
December 18th, 2015, 09:00 AM
I just finally got GTA V when it finally went on sale, so I figure I can play that while I wait for Fallout 4 to go on sale. Also, it's a Bethesda game so it usually pays to wait a little while until the big game breaking bugs are sorted.

I did just get a new video card, though, so looking forward to being able to play it with the settings up reasonably high.

drew
December 18th, 2015, 01:13 PM
I ran across some trader woman with an ox. Killed them both and looted them. Still trying to decide if that was a wise course of action in the long run, or not.

21Kid
December 18th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Probably not... I've traded with her quite a few times already

GreatScawt
December 18th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Did you kill Trashcan Carla?? :lol:
There's more around, but I wouldn't kill them all. They're too useful for economy and such.

drew
December 19th, 2015, 02:05 PM
I shot the ox and it all went to shit after that.

I discovered a building that had about 6 super mutants in it. Thank god for "Ole Painless" (yes, I renamed the mini-gun, thank you J Ventura).

I haven't built a whole lot yet, nor done may quests. I'm just wandering around discoveries.

SkylineObsession
December 19th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Wifey bought it before launch day and has played it a fair bit, but i keep pushing her to play it more so that i can eventually have a go. ;)

speedpimp
December 30th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Finally started playing it. Neat game. Need to download Fo3(was included).

drew
December 30th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Having learned how the perks work, I restarted (after 50 hours). I thought you needed to max out a given base (Luck/Agility/etc, level 10) before you could go to the bonus/perks below.

In other words, I fucked myself from the start. All is better with this one though. I also abandoned quests, for the most part, to explore the remote reaches. I have jump/fat travel spots over about 75% of the map so far as a result, which makes things a lot easier. Most of my XP has come from that and killing/cleaning the areas I find.

GreatScawt
December 30th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Hah! Drew, I had a problem with the Perk chart as well. I actually didn't know it scrolled down! Here I am wondering how the fuck you level up lock-picking and hacking and I just had to drag the screen down. D'oh.

Also, unlike Skyrim (from what I remember), clearing out areas ahead of time is fine. In fact, if someone gives you a quest to "Clear out the Mass Pike" and you did it already? You have the option to say that and get an immediate XP/Cap reward. Very rewarding for people who want to explore and not feel like they're fucking up the quests.

drew
December 30th, 2015, 06:29 PM
Yep. I did one quest in an area I went Rambo in, the guy said "looks like someone beat us to it."

drew
January 6th, 2016, 02:43 PM
I'm very addicted to this game now. It's a lot of fun, just from the standpoint of the fact there are so many places to discover/clean out.

I'm about 70 hours into my second (more informed) start, and I can't get enough of it. Currently at level 35, working on some bigger leveled perks.

GreatScawt
January 6th, 2016, 03:03 PM
I listen to a podcast run by game developers/people in the industry and they made a great point: Fallout 4 does an awesome job of constantly putting something on the horizon that you want to see or explore.

Basically:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/68/e0/e4/68e0e479efdbff49157e85c219f377b3.jpg

drew
January 7th, 2016, 04:44 AM
Fuck an A.

I've been trying to do the Tinker Tom missions, but each one takes about 4 hours, because I get side-tracked to another side track, to get side-tracked on a different side track, ending up on the other side of the map from where I originally intended to go.

21Kid
January 7th, 2016, 05:20 AM
OOoooohhhh shiny!!!!!

;)

SkylineObsession
January 8th, 2016, 03:02 AM
Yeah, sidetrackisis is why i ended up with a couple of 200 hour and one 300+ hour save in Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Sounds like it could be worse for F4. :eek:

drew
January 8th, 2016, 07:00 AM
I'm at 140 now, and have barely scratched the surface in regard to the actual "missions"/story. I'm basically doomsday prepping, by gathering crap and making useful things in mass quantity, like Cutting Fluid (oil) and Veg Starch (adhesive).

I've only got about 6-7 active settlements (using some of the remote ones as "recruiting stations", where I turn on the radio and when they show up, I send them to another on to fill it up).

I'm farming scavenger stands (about 30 total) and corn, mutfruit, and tatos (for the starch). I think I've got about 1500 adhesive and 1000 oil so far, since those are the two most mod-heavy requirements. I've also got 3-4 industrial water purifiers wherever I can put them. I think I'm producing 15X more water than my populations need.

I've also abandoned all .38 caliber weapons, either modifying them to .45, or scrapping them (salvager perk). As such, the ammo is basically banked caps. You get 1 cap per round, and I've got about 7000 sitting there, to add to other items to sell if something tasty shows up in a vendor's inventory (like the devastator's greave, for 12000 caps... eek).

novicius
January 8th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Heh, it's a good thing I've been playing the hell out of Mad Max first -- there is no way you could go back to it after Fallout, sounds like! :lol:

drew
January 8th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Hehe. You just don't want to stop, there's so much shit to discover/etc.

I think my looted gun collection would arm the eastern block at this stage.

dozen miniguns, missile launchers, and about 100 mini-nukes. Then there's the "regular" shit. I think I'm over 200 10mm pistols alone. Gonna be scrapping that shit out soon. :)

GreatScawt
January 8th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Did you get the perk to scrap weapons for better parts? I think that's what it does at least.

drew
January 8th, 2016, 05:53 PM
about to. Got level 4 armor, science, gun nut, and the nuke physicist first.

I don't even use power armor. I've got 6 T45 suits and 5 X01 suits in a garage bay, and 32 Cores....
I'm using the cores/parts from all that to clean out the various merchants in trade.

GreatScawt
January 11th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Sorry for the boring shit for the first 40 or so seconds. Shadowplay set to 2min and I'm too lazy to figure out how to edit that down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jDunEwUJBI

drew
January 12th, 2016, 07:18 AM
What. The. Fuck. :lol:

The Pillars of the Community were turned to stone (rather, ash) after I found them. Nothing a Fat Man couldn't sort out.

Think I'm about to clean out Vault 81 too. (did the same with Covenant, then dumped all their bodies in the pond across the street).

I think of the mini nuke as a self-destruct button for a settlement.

As an aside (back to humorousness), I was fucking about on the roof of the fish packing place, and watched the dogt just jump right off into the rocks/sea.

I fly solo anyway (Lone Wanderer perk is the shit).

21Kid
February 17th, 2016, 07:25 AM
You can still get Fallout 4's Season Pass for $24 until March 1

Bethesda finally revealed more information on the three upcoming Fallout 4 DLC packs, and with it came a price increase announcement for the Season Pass, from $29.99 to $49.99. The saving grace is that the company isn't going to start charging more until March 1, 2016.

SkylineObsession
February 17th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Wow, thats a significant hike in price. :twitch:

I've started playing it now too. My main grumble at the mo is the fact that its hard to get ceilings and walls and roofs lining up nicely when building settlements.

GreatScawt
February 17th, 2016, 08:05 PM
Ohh, thanks for the heads up Kid. I had a voucher on GMG for $23 season pass. No way I'll spend $50.

TheBenior
February 17th, 2016, 11:10 PM
March through May DLC announced (https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/fallout-4-add-ons-automatron-wasteland-workshop-far-harbor-and-more/2016/02/16/77):

Automatron
Price: $9.99 USD | £7.99 GBP | $16.95 AUD
Release: March 2016

The mysterious Mechanist has unleashed a horde of evil robots into the Commonwealth, including the devious Robobrain. Hunt them down and harvest their parts to build and mod your own custom robot companions. Choose from hundreds of mods; mixing limbs, armor, abilities, and weapons like the all-new lightning chain gun. Even customize their paint schemes and choose their voices!

Wasteland Workshop
Price: $4.99 USD | £3.99 GBP | $7.95 AUD
Release: April 2016

With the Wasteland Workshop, design and set cages to capture live creatures – from raiders to Deathclaws! Tame them or have them face off in battle, even against your fellow settlers. The Wasteland Workshop also includes a suite of new design options for your settlements like nixie tube lighting, letter kits, taxidermy and more!

Far Harbor
Price: $24.99 USD | £19.99 GBP | $39.95 AUD
Release: May 2016

A new case from Valentine’s Detective Agency leads you on a search for a young woman and a secret colony of synths. Travel off the coast of Maine to the mysterious island of Far Harbor, where higher levels of radiation have created a more feral world. Navigate through the growing conflict between the synths, the Children of Atom, and the local townspeople. Will you work towards bringing peace to Far Harbor, and at what cost? Far Harbor features the largest landmass for an add-on that we’ve ever created, filled with new faction quests, settlements, lethal creatures and dungeons. Become more powerful with new, higher-level armor and weapons. The choices are all yours.

drew
February 18th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Nice. I'm playing through my second run now (making different choices than the first).

Steam says I've got 390 hours in it.... Jesus.

novicius
February 18th, 2016, 02:38 PM
The DLC sounds cool -- I'm still working on Witcher III tho'. :up:

tigeraid
February 25th, 2016, 05:12 AM
I took the plunge and bought the Season Pass before the price hike. I don't really care about the workshop stuff but Far Harbor sounds too tempting. I'm only barely into the game even--it's vast.

21Kid
February 25th, 2016, 05:30 AM
I did too... Even though I'm not even half way thru the game... and haven't touched it in a few months. :(

GreatScawt
February 25th, 2016, 06:57 AM
Same :D

I want to jump back in soon to keep fresh. Possibly finish the story and keep busy with sidequests.

tigeraid
February 25th, 2016, 09:59 AM
I wish for a perfect world. A perfect world in which the writers of The Witcher 3 gang up with the creators of Fallout 4 and make the perfect game--a Fallout 4 with the writing and dialogue and characters from Witcher 3. Why can't I just have both?

Kchrpm
February 25th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Because the market would rather you buy both games than one combined game.

SkylineObsession
February 25th, 2016, 08:13 PM
Yeah, wifey bought the season pass before the price hike too.

And damn the addictiveness of this game. Getting only 4-6 hours sleep before work some nights i play it. :D

TheBenior
February 26th, 2016, 04:53 PM
Because the market would rather you buy both games than one combined game.

If the market has any influence, it's that ZeniMax/Bethesda hasn't bought CD Projekt. Yet. ;)

SkylineObsession
February 27th, 2016, 01:17 PM
Sooooo, who else wanders around over encumbered quite a bit, even after utilising the companion?

After a long trek from any of my settlements ended last night i was 'rather' overloaded. 1150+ weight with a 240 weight limit... Plus another 150-200 my robot was carrying.

I PICK EVERYTHING UP. :shocker:

drew
February 27th, 2016, 01:27 PM
I pick up everything, but I also have the Strong Back perk maxed so it's not too tedious. I clean out a given area of baddies and every piece of shit I can find, then head back.

I'm currently on my 4th start (going survival with some other tweaks, mainly, every 5th6th enemy is a legendary ass-kicker).

I'm just finishing up my second monster greenhouse at Coastal Cottage. That being said, I'm out of glass (duh), so I need to raid the Beantown Brewery. Haven't been there in this run through yet :)

I love mods.

21Kid
February 29th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Damn Drew!!! :eek:

drew
February 29th, 2016, 08:06 AM
I need to figure out how to take good air screenshots.

The last one I built is rather awesome (finally, after building about 80 camps at this stage, I've got the tricks and tweaks almost down).

That being said, I'm going to tear down and re-built Sanctuary, again...

WTF

Dicknose
February 29th, 2016, 01:22 PM
I haven't even found Coastal Cottage!

SkylineObsession
February 29th, 2016, 06:19 PM
Yeah i just rebuilt my first building in Sanctuary but it is now one storied instead of two, but at least this time i've managed to get most of the walls, floor and roof to 'snap' together. Nearly at my build limit though, the size bar is in yellow. :(

I put huge steel walls around the edge of the settlements, have done to two of my main ones so far, and just starting to at Abernathy Farm.

drew
March 1st, 2016, 04:52 AM
Pro Tip: walling in your whole settlement is a little unnecessary. As I've seen in past starts, the raids on your camps come from each direction, and the settlers will go outside the walls to fight anyway (or the raiders (meaning attackers) will just come in/spawn in the camp...

Occasionally, I'll put a gate and small walls up (like here at Nordhagen Beach, with the back of the complex at the water)

shakes
March 1st, 2016, 05:55 AM
According to the xbox I've got about 90hrs into the game. I'm at the point now where its getting nearly impossible to play all the sides (BoS, Institute, Railroad, etc) without pissing one of them off. So who should I side with?

drew
March 1st, 2016, 08:33 AM
That's why I'm going through again (and again). Just to see the different outcomes. The Railroad is probably my favorite at the moment though (having gone through a couple times all the way)

drew
April 6th, 2016, 06:07 AM

Heh

21Kid
April 6th, 2016, 09:15 AM
:hard:

drew
April 8th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Jesus, I need a job. Posted the lat one at 10am Wednesday, at 666 hours played. 4pm Friday, 688. So, yes, that's 22 hours of the last 54.

#FML

21Kid
April 8th, 2016, 12:12 PM
AWESOME VALUE

Have you thought trying a new game?

drew
April 9th, 2016, 03:05 AM
I would, if I wanted to spend money on one. In the last 3 months (since we've been on "hiatus"), I've bought exactly two non-essential/personal entertainment items: Megadeth CD, and Star Wars TFA.

Fallout 4 was a Birthday present from my gf.

...and also:

SkylineObsession
December 15th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Ah crap it. :| :hard:

If you've felt like you'd like to do even more to the Fallout world - to change things to suit - you now have that opportunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MKOpsVBnfA

Article (http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/fallout-is-coming-to-minecraft/)

21Kid
December 15th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Like Drew doesn't have enough time-sucking games already. :lol:

drew
December 15th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Yeah.... FO4 clocked in at 1199 hours. (Dec-end of July)

Elite is at about 1700, but I also realized that it has a launcher that Steam counts as "open" (because there's no fucking way I've played 1687 hours in 90 days). Actual game/play time is about 500 hours (in game stat), which isn't really that much "better".

SkylineObsession
December 15th, 2016, 01:54 PM
Holey crap! :D I thought my 300 for a second playthrough of Fallout 3 was bad. ;)

I haven't played F4 in months - not because i got bored/sick of it or anything, i just keep ending up with other games to play.

drew
December 17th, 2016, 05:43 AM
If/when I get bored of Elite, I'll start up F04 again. I've played through it for all the different endings/etc, but there's still a ton of side things/sites I haven't done.

It's worthy of a(nother) play through. If I had to guess, I'd say I've been through the main story 8 times, intentionally picking a different route/etc each time. I haven't added the last two DLCs to it, I stopped at Far Harbour. But I may get the Nuka World add-on if/when I have another go at it.

Tom Servo
December 22nd, 2016, 03:52 PM
I wish I knew why I sucked so bad at it. I gave up a while ago because I just kept getting my ass handed to me.

SkylineObsession
December 22nd, 2016, 08:29 PM
Like most RPG type games you have to work your way up to things, it's takes a while to build up an arsenal and of course the perks etc.

Dicknose
December 22nd, 2016, 08:37 PM
You do start with a bit of "run away" but end up wiping the floor with anything

SkylineObsession
December 23rd, 2016, 02:45 AM
But still fearing Deathclaws. ;)

drew
December 23rd, 2016, 04:27 AM
Deathclaws are one-shot kills with a perked up 50 cal. :)

SkylineObsession
December 23rd, 2016, 11:04 AM
Ah, true - but when in a tight enclosed city and you walk around a corner and there's one staring you in the face it can still be a little scary.

drew
December 23rd, 2016, 02:14 PM
minigun its face. :)

Dicknose
December 24th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Deathclaws are easy, do them with a melee weapon

GreatScawt
December 24th, 2016, 03:12 PM
I'm at the point where I just Overseer's Guardian all the things. Maybe except those particularly big beasties in Far Harbor. They get the quad rocket launcher.

drew
December 25th, 2016, 11:36 AM
I ran mods, so I had a minigun with explosive rounds. Rather hilarious. Heads, arms, and, assholes flying all over the place

M4FFU
January 3rd, 2017, 01:24 AM
I ran across some trader woman with an ox. Killed them both and looted them. Still trying to decide if that was a wise course of action in the long run, or not.

Drew + open world game = simple pleasures in life. Never fail to make me smile! :D

So, I picked this up over Christmas as amazon had it for £15 which I thought was good. About 10 hours in, level 6 with a few quests opening up. Starting picking random perks thinking I know what I'm doing - are there any 'I wish I'd know' kinda tips to start off with? Better perks for levelling up earlier on? Also; when the hell can I expect a decent sniper rifle? :D

drew
January 3rd, 2017, 03:17 AM
I started playing it again a few days ago. I need to sort out which mod is crashing it...

It's been updated a couple times since July, and some of the mod packages I have are not the updated versions.

Fucking technology.

21Kid
January 30th, 2017, 09:33 AM
Fallout 4 is getting a substantial high-res upgrade for PC and PS4 Pro.

Update 1.9, which comes out next week for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One, will add a native 1444p resolution, enhanced godray effects, better draw distances for objects, NPCs, tress and grass, and enhanced lighting and graphics features for the PS4 Pro.

drew
February 3rd, 2017, 07:36 AM
My game is so heavily modified, I'd be surprised if it still works after an update.

That, and I have about 60gb of updated textures mods already.

Historically, this game, with mods, doesn't like updates. It tends to throw it into a shitfit.

Maybe we'll see.

GreatScawt
March 7th, 2017, 07:51 AM
Yep, threw on the huge texture mod. Game looks pretty great and still runs pretty damn well. A few hiccups here and there, but... Fallout. :lol:

I just beat all the main story on Far Harbor. Wow, that actually tied up pretty nicely and had some neat and creative quests. Definitely recommended :up:
One of the best moments wasn't even the story though. I got side-tracked by a neat sub-plot, and I'm pretty sure no one told me to go check it out. I just happened upon it.
It ended up being a murder mystery involving Vault-dwelling robo-brains hidden underneath multiple locked layers of a decrepit luxury hotel.

drew
March 7th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Yep. I thnk I've done all stories/possible lines/endings in all aspects to all add-ons, at least 5 times each....

Yet, I'm going through it again. I really enjoy the settlement building aspect. I'm trying to make each one unique.

SkylineObsession
March 7th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Do you not play any other games Drew? ;) Only reason i haven't been Falloutting for months is because there's too many others on my play/finish list. :(

drew
March 8th, 2017, 02:27 PM
Currently without income, and need something to do between job applications, that I don't have to spend any more money on... :)

So it's this, or trying to beat money out of my dick.

novicius
March 9th, 2017, 04:10 AM
:lol:

21Kid
March 9th, 2017, 05:36 AM
Start your own Twitch/youtube gaming channel. People would love to listen to your unique dialog.

Kchrpm
March 9th, 2017, 05:56 AM
That's actually not a bad idea.

GreatScawt
March 9th, 2017, 06:11 AM
I'd watch it :up:

SkylineObsession
March 15th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Addicted to the game again, haven't even touched another one for a week or more. Nearly finished Far Harbour for the first time (mainland is almost mission/questless now) and then Nuka World after that, then another run through the mainland while choosing a different path through perks and siding with the brotherhood this time instead of minutemen/railroad. But will save it around decision time so i can grab all the trophies.

Still haven't managed to find 20 bobbleheads or whatever the trophy is for, but like other things i'll just end up using a guide.