PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a new PC

LHutton
July 2nd, 2015, 12:53 AM
I'm thinking of getting a new PC but it's been a while and I've forgotten about setup. I'm currently connected with a BT Infinity router and a CAT5 cable. When I setup the new PC will I need a password on the PC to connect to the router if I'm using the exact same connection, or will the router itself remember the location?

Alan P
July 2nd, 2015, 04:03 AM
Connect PC with Cat5 cable. Turn PC on. Browse/Play/Stream. It's that easy.

LHutton
July 2nd, 2015, 04:13 AM
Excellent.

LHutton
July 2nd, 2015, 05:56 AM
How come sound cards don't seem to be available as a bundle purchase anymore? Dell used to sell them as an optional extra.

thesameguy
July 2nd, 2015, 10:23 AM
Not many people use soundcards anymore. Onboard stuff is pretty good.

Some of the XPS desktops include mid-range SoundBlasters I think, but that's it.

LHutton
July 4th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Some of the XPS desktops include mid-range SoundBlasters I think, but that's it.
Which ones?

What about the 'WaveMaxx Audio' in the Alienware X51? How does that compare?

I have very sensitive ears and I can tell, at least I could with the system I bought in 2009.

thesameguy
July 4th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Pretty sure the WaveMaxx stuff is just a software layer for onboard sound.

You need to do a lot of searching to find systems that have SoundBlasters as optional - they aren't always available

I would not stress about this. Get a system with onboard sound, if you don't like it, go buy an X-Fi or whatever.

LHutton
July 4th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Pretty sure the WaveMaxx stuff is just a software layer for onboard sound.

You need to do a lot of searching to find systems that have SoundBlasters as optional - they aren't always available

I would not stress about this. Get a system with onboard sound, if you don't like it, go buy an X-Fi or whatever.
I don't like arsing about though and I'd like a bundle deal for the purposes of warranty.

thesameguy
July 4th, 2015, 12:06 PM
Well, you've got limited choices here...

Rare White Ape
July 4th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Anything with an HDMI output is going to do multi channel and high bitrate audio, isn't it?

thesameguy
July 4th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Sure, assuming you've got something that can handle HDMI audio.

Rare White Ape
July 4th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Do you mean amp/speakers/hifi-wise, or computer hardware-wise?

LHutton
July 5th, 2015, 01:28 AM
I use headphones. I've grown accustomed to 24-bit 192kHz sampling.

thesameguy
July 5th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Headphones are analog... they don't sample.

LHutton
July 18th, 2015, 04:03 AM
Headphones are analog... they don't sample.
No but the sound card does prior to sending the signal to the headphones, so quality is affected. I was answering the question on speakers.