View Full Version : In a galaxy far, far away... [Star Wars omnibus thread]

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

novicius
February 1st, 2018, 11:57 AM
The trailer for Solo: A Star Wars Story to debut on Good Morning America on Monday, Feb. 5th. (https://twitter.com/starwarstuff/status/959142859235524608?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.comingsoon.net%2Fmovies%2 Fnews%2F918735-its-official-solo-trailer-coming-to-good-morning-america)

For better or worse! :cool:

novicius
February 4th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Solo trailer just played -- it's got a real Rogue One vibe, that's cool. :cool:

Bonus points for the cloud-encircled Star Destroyer. :up: :up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Szts88zY4o

novicius
February 4th, 2018, 07:15 PM
https://i.imgur.com/uHXDulf.jpg

Kchrpm
February 5th, 2018, 03:34 AM
Works every time :up:

novicius
February 5th, 2018, 09:12 AM
First full trailer for Solo: A Star Wars Story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNW0B0HsvVs

:up: :up:

Alden Ehrenreich is not turning me off as young Solo yet. He's definitely cocky. :lol: (Grumble: I do hope they remix the vocals in the cockpit, they sound tinny IMO.)

I'm digging the idea that Woody is going to be the model for the scoundrel that Han eventually becomes (looks like, at least). Glover is so good as young Lando -- that megawatt smile, the bunny ears he does with his droid co-pilot, all good stuff.

The lead baddie looks cool: a wild feral space samurai? Some sneak peaks made some minor connection to Mandalorian armor -- Boba Fett in an earlier guise?

Emilia Clarke's character looks intriguing -- Han certainly has a "type". :lol: :up:I haven't read any predictions on how big it'll open at or predicted box office totals yet.

Rare White Ape
February 5th, 2018, 12:31 PM
I saw a split second of Maz there :up:

Phil_SS
February 5th, 2018, 05:42 PM
I know the movie is called Solo but as a huge fan of Glover I hope he has a significant role in the movie.

JoshInKC
February 5th, 2018, 06:04 PM
The only stuff that seems interesting to me is Glover as Lando, and whatever Phoebe Waller Bridge is doing.
I would be much more interested in a Lando movie w/ a Han cameo. I can't exactly say why, but I really don't need an origin story for Han - I'd rather have him arrive fully formed as rogue smuggler, etc.
Also, in everything I've seen her in (w/ the exception of a few scenes in GoT), Emilia Clarke is a black hole of charisma.

novicius
February 5th, 2018, 06:54 PM
The only stuff that seems interesting to me is Glover as Lando, and whatever Phoebe Waller Bridge is doing.
Uh, the new droid L3-37? (http://www.radiotimes.com/news/film/2018-02-05/phoebe-waller-bridge-star-wars-character-name-picture/) :lol:

Rare White Ape
February 5th, 2018, 07:25 PM
L3-37?

As in… leet??

Ugh.

Blerpa
February 6th, 2018, 01:36 AM
Also Emilia Clarke is a black hole of charisma.

It's simpler: she cannot act.

Rare White Ape
February 6th, 2018, 01:37 AM
I don't care what she does on screen if she's that pretty.

Rare White Ape
February 6th, 2018, 02:30 AM
Possible movie spoilers:

Leaked images of the associated Lego sets that will come out in time for the Solo film

https://imgur.com/a/RW1WB#xs5LpX9

Included within:

Redesigned (and ugly!) Kessel Run Millennium Falcon
Updated TIE Fighter
Han Solo's speeder
Moloch's Landspeeder
Imperial Patrol battle pack

Jason
February 6th, 2018, 03:24 AM
That guy looks older than Ford did in A New Hope. :|

novicius
February 6th, 2018, 04:06 AM
Well FWIW Harrison Ford was 35 in 1977. Alden Ehrenreich is currently 28.

I like John Campea's take on the casing of young Han Solo: they need an actor, not someone who is going to do a Harrison Ford impersonation for two hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBb1sN1KrOc

Especially since these movies are going to outlive us all, at some point there will be another (younger) actor playing Han Solo. We need to get used to the idea that these roles are going to have many people playing Luke, Han, Leia & Lando for decades to come, just like James Bond.

novicius
February 6th, 2018, 06:56 AM
Glover is so good as young Lando -- that megawatt smile, the bunny ears he does with his droid co-pilot, all good stuff.

:lol:

novicius
February 6th, 2018, 07:08 AM

tigeraid
February 6th, 2018, 12:02 PM
I will watch this just for Donglover. It should've been Lando: A Star Wars Story.

novicius
February 6th, 2018, 12:15 PM
Hopefully they greenlight that anthology film after Obi-Wan. :up:

In other breaking news: 'Game of Thrones' creators David Benioff & D.B. Weiss to write and produce a new series of Star Wars films (http://www.starwars.com/news/game-of-thrones-creators-david-benioff-and-d-b-weiss-to-write-and-produce-a-new-series-of-star-wars-films)

Gotta wonder if this is a show for the new Disney streaming service?

novicius
February 6th, 2018, 05:40 PM
Ah here's the latest TV show update. (http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/02/06/star-wars-tv-series-multiple-in-development/)

Disney CEO Bob Iger weighed in on that question and in doing so revealed that they were currently in the process of developing a few different series based on the Star Wars franchise, and that an announcement on one would be made soon.

"We are close to reveal one of the entities that's developing [a Star Wars series] for us but we can't at this point in time because the deal isn't done," Iger said.
In other news, I've seen that an "amature" authority on Reddit has made their considerably-researched prediction on Solo's box office:

$660-$740m worldwide, including around $325-$365m domestically.
Should be interesting (to me) to see if Solo can hit that... :popcorn:

JoshInKC
February 7th, 2018, 04:27 AM
Uh, the new droid L3-37? (http://www.radiotimes.com/news/film/2018-02-05/phoebe-waller-bridge-star-wars-character-name-picture/) :lol:
I know that she's mo-capping the droid, but by 'whatever she's doing' I meant "I like her, and find her performance choices interesting and funny, so I'm curious to see what she brings to the equation."

novicius
February 7th, 2018, 09:40 AM
"L-A-N-D-O" :shocker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwH0cMBMVh0#action=share

Rare White Ape
February 7th, 2018, 12:21 PM
OOOHHHH indeed.

novicius
February 13th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Mmm, lovin' it. :cool: :up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCB8DUGpYQQ

Leon
February 13th, 2018, 07:41 PM
[golf clap]

Rare White Ape
February 14th, 2018, 12:11 AM
Been reading a whole bunch of the new Marvel Star Wars comics recently. I’ve never been into comics, but hey, whack a Star Wars logo on anything and I’ll take an interest.

Holy shit balls they’re cool. Some of the stories are awesome, and the artwork is fucking rad.

There’s a bit where Vader hires Boba Fett to hunt down the the then-unknown pilot who destroyed the first Death Star, who trails him to Obi-Wan Kenobi on Tatooine, just as Luke makes a return to the old man’s hut in the search for clues on the Jedi. This leads to a showdown where Luke narrowly escapes with his life; not being killed in an encounter with the bounty hunter is lucky business.

Later, Fett returns to Vader on his Star Destroyer and reports that he found the kid but he got away. Vader is looking out a window at the Imperial fleet.

“Did you learn anything about the boy?”

“Not much,” replies Fett (I’m reading it in my head with Temuera Morrison‘s Kiwi accent), “just a name…”

The next comic panel focuses on a profile shot of Vader’s helmet, with Fett’s revelation lingering in a speech bubble:

“Skywalker.”

Vader’s fists tighten and the glass pane starts to shatter.

novicius
February 14th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Exclusive: Here Are the First Solo: A Star Wars Story Action Figures, and Lando Is a Masterpiece (https://io9.gizmodo.com/exclusive-here-are-the-first-solo-a-star-wars-story-a-1822974071)

Great, now I'm pregnant. :cool: :up:

Rare White Ape
March 9th, 2018, 03:56 AM
The final episodes of the Rebels TV series have come and gone. Dutifully, I sat and binge-watched the remaining few hours of it this evening. Every 2018 episode, back-to-back, in one sitting.

It was amazing.

There was no neat and tidy dovetailing into the Battle of Scarif or anything easy like that. It didn't step anywhere near Original Trilogy territory. It had its own story to tell, and it came to its own conclusion... and left a delicious cliffhanger for us to salivate over as well. Oh what a ride that will be when it finally comes to pass!

My favourite moment came in an episode about half way through, which could be seen as a love letter to Star Wars stories all across the timeline. It was an incredibly powerful scene that was executed beautifully. Suffice to say, if you are keen on watching the show (which I very much recommend you do) then don't go anywhere near THIS LINK (https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/03/this-impressive-star-wars-rebels-fan-video-weaves-together-the-wider-saga/) out of respect for spoilers, but if you haven't got the patience for a kids show about space wizards then click away and be ready to see something pretty cool.

Drachen596
March 11th, 2018, 08:37 AM
Finally saw TLJ. There are a number of parts that just left me with many unanswered questions.

If simply suiciding a ship into another at light speed destroys them both, why are they not using remotely piloted ships as kamikaze missiles? I mean that smallish rebel cruiser took out a massive ship AND jacked up pretty much every other ship in that fleet. Why couldn't they have taken the fuel from the other two ships and put them into the larger cruiser in order to run longer.

They appear to have killed Phasma twice now, is she going to reappear in the next installment again?

Rare White Ape
March 11th, 2018, 10:09 PM
I can’t comment regarding the light speed thing, but I can comment on Cpt Phasma.

She didn’t die on Starkiller Base. She escaped and hunted down the last remaining witness to her lowering the base’s shields.

There’s a four-part Marvel comic on the subject; it’s quite a good read.

Rare White Ape
March 28th, 2018, 03:20 AM
Look at this fuckin thing would yiz?

Yours for only a few hundred bucks from Hot Toys.

http://news.toyark.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2018/02/Hot-Toys-Star-Wars-Emperor-Palpatine-Deluxe-025.jpg

balki
March 28th, 2018, 04:39 AM
those extra hands look so palpable!

Yw-slayer
March 31st, 2018, 04:45 PM
18/03/29/entertainment/star-wars-last-jedi-rian-johnson-mark-hamill

Looking back, was any of the criticism fair?
Johnson: No, no.
Hamill: We were happy to ruin people's childhoods.

Rare White Ape
March 31st, 2018, 06:44 PM
My childhood is still firmly intact.

Yw-slayer
March 31st, 2018, 08:06 PM
Unlike your manhood.

Crazed_Insanity
April 2nd, 2018, 09:18 AM

MR2 Fan
April 10th, 2018, 10:37 PM
so the full Solo trailer is out and it still looks....ok

I was wondering if JJ Abrams is going to have more pressure to "fix" Ep. 9 for the fans if Solo bombs

Rare White Ape
April 11th, 2018, 02:16 AM
Fuck the fans. Seriously. They’re not entitled anything.

Blerpa
April 11th, 2018, 02:36 AM
Fuck the fans. Seriously. They’re not entitled anything.

THIS. ALWAYS.

Jason
April 11th, 2018, 03:23 AM
Picked up TLJ in 4k, absolutely astounding visually. The HDR impact is limited by Johnson's decision to raise black level throughout the movie though. While I still disagree with some of the narrative choices, it's far from the worst Star Wars film, and I'm excited to see what adventures are in store for the new characters. I'll be sad if this is their last movie.... not sure what Disney's plans are post Episode 9.

Kchrpm
April 11th, 2018, 03:28 AM
The director of TLJ is getting to make his own trilogy without any of the characters from the previous movies.

SportWagon
April 11th, 2018, 08:51 AM
Is that Ozzy Osbourne in the picture up there?

Crazed_Insanity
April 11th, 2018, 09:13 AM
The director of TLJ is getting to make his own trilogy without any of the characters from the previous movies.

He really should just focus on making movies visually stunning, but leave the storytelling part to somebody else.

Or perhaps Disney shouldn't allow multi-directors making up their own stories in the same trilogy...

Anyway, whatever the problem was with TLJ, they really need to explain things IN the movie rather than kept on explaining things in follow up interviews to confused fans.

Kchrpm
April 11th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Well the entire trilogy will be handled by him, do there won't be a conflict between the writers and directors on the different films, he'll be doing all of it.

I don't really think all the extra explanation he has given has been necessary, but people are attacking him and saying his decisions weren't justified, so he's providing his justification.

Crazed_Insanity
April 11th, 2018, 12:38 PM
As standalone movies I was kinda disappointed with TFA because it was a complete knock off of the original Star War movie. Protagonist blows up death star and saves the day!

I'm also kinda disappointed with TLJ because the storyline was so freaking choatic that one can't help but thinking WTF just happened? Maybe it suffered a bit when it failed to deliver some sort of satisfying answers JJ posed earlier..., but still, as a stand alone movie, I just felt Johnson seemed to have a tendency to put too much non-relevant shit in his movies trying to misdirect the audiences. Comparing the 2, I probably like TFA better.

Anyway, I'll probably still watch his future trilogies, but if they still end up with the same irrelevant misdirecting incoherent plot lines, then those will be the last movies I'll watch from him! :p

Jason
April 12th, 2018, 03:31 AM

That's the only future SW plans? That's a shame. I mean, it could still be good, and that opens up a lot of freedom. But I really want to see more of Rey, Finn, and Poe.

Kchrpm
April 12th, 2018, 08:32 AM
For movies, that's what they have announced.

It's possible that they'll continue having alternating series, though, so that it remains on an annual release schedule: Rian Johnson movie one year, Rey-based next year.

21Kid
April 20th, 2018, 09:20 AM
"But I really want to see more of Rey, Finn, and Poe."

Agreed.

MR2 Fan
April 20th, 2018, 09:42 AM
I just want to see more of Rey ;)

Crazed_Insanity
April 21st, 2018, 11:31 AM
Looking at them at the same age, who is hottest?

Rey, Leia, or Erso?

I'm ignoring Natalie Portman on purpose because I liked and known her before her star war appearance so this bias may not to fair to the other SW ladies... ;)

I still think Leia rules, or maybe it's because I'm afraid of Erso and Rey kicking my butt!

Rare White Ape
May 1st, 2018, 12:20 AM
So there's, like, a new Star Wars film out in less than a moth.

That's two in a year!

I'm excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS37K3Lcf6g

And yo Billi the answer to your question is obviously Emilia Clarke.

Crazed_Insanity
May 1st, 2018, 08:23 AM
Looks surprisingly promising.

Rare White Ape
May 1st, 2018, 12:23 PM
The team behind the Rebels and Clone Wars animated series’ have a new project:

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-resistance-set-for-fall-debut

This is excellent news!

George
May 1st, 2018, 03:29 PM
Wow. I loved the first two Star Wars movies, but then they lost me somewhere between the Ewoks and Jar Jar Binks. That Solo movie looks really good, and I'll bet I don't have to be up on all the latest Star Wars movies to enjoy this one. My son has been talking about this movie and now I'm looking forward to it also.

The trailer makes him seem somewhere between James Bond, Max Rockatansky, and Bret Maverick. :up:

Thanks for posting that video, RWA. I might not have seen it otherwise.

tigeraid
May 2nd, 2018, 09:51 AM
You should definitely watch Rogue One then, George.

MR2 Fan
May 2nd, 2018, 09:56 AM
agreed, I enjoyed Rogue One to the point where I wish Gareth Edwards was going to direct more Star Wars movies

Crazed_Insanity
May 2nd, 2018, 10:25 AM
I like Rogue1 as well, way more than the latest SW movies.

However, I can't help feeling a bit let down a bit due to discrepancies between trailer and the actual movie. I feel that Disney probably water down the movie a bit to make the good guys less like terrorists... plus that scene of Jyn facing off with the tie fighter... wonder what that was suppose to be about...

MR2 Fan
May 2nd, 2018, 10:46 AM
I like Rogue1 as well, way more than the latest SW movies.

However, I can't help feeling a bit let down a bit due to discrepancies between trailer and the actual movie. I feel that Disney probably water down the movie a bit to make the good guys less like terrorists... plus that scene of Jyn facing off with the tie fighter... wonder what that was suppose to be about...

No, they changed writers like 75% through (This is a recurring theme) and they made several changes before the movie was released.

Crazed_Insanity
May 2nd, 2018, 11:07 AM
I know changes were made... that's why the trailer and the actual movie didn't seem to match up well..., just wondering why.

Anyone has any behind the scene take on that?

I thought I read somewhere saying that Forrest Whitaker supposedly had a bigger role training Jyn..., but the rebel resembled too much like the terrorists groups... we don't want to give the impression that terrorists are good guys and making USA looking too much like the evil empire ruled by Lord Donalth Trader... ;)

Rare White Ape
May 2nd, 2018, 12:36 PM
Movies are always evolving, and the script for any film is being revised even as filming is taking place. I know because I’ve seen it first hand. Even right up to the editing stage, the director and script supervisor are in consultation with the writer and editor about what the final version will be.

Rogue One didn’t do anything that any other movie hasn’t done before, the only odd thing is how much we saw in trailers that got removed prior to release. These would otherwise be known as deleted scenes; somehow they ended up in trailers and got cut when the script was revised. Don't be disappointed in their removal, as the film would probably be worse with their inclusion.

Fun fact: Rogue One’s best scene, the one with Vader right at the end, was conjured up and pitched to Lucasfilm only four months out from final release.

Crazed_Insanity
May 2nd, 2018, 01:11 PM
Spoiler alert for George!!!

Jason
May 2nd, 2018, 01:24 PM
For whatever reason, I just can't get excited for Solo. It's just a story I didn't need... Also the guy playing Han looks older than Ford in Ep 4, and just isn't right at all. I'll probably check it out when it hits Netflix or something.

MR2 Fan
May 2nd, 2018, 01:52 PM
It should have been marketed as Lando's story at this point once they found that guy who isn't like who we think of as Han Solo at all....or they should have gotten the correct actor that was perfect for the role.

Rare White Ape
May 3rd, 2018, 01:50 PM
Happy Star Wars day everyone ^_^

https://youtu.be/o6XERmXsP-U

Crazed_Insanity
May 3rd, 2018, 02:59 PM
May the 4th is with us indeed.

NOT!

With you first, but will be with us tomorrow...

Yw-slayer
May 21st, 2018, 06:23 PM
http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/every-star-wars-movie-ranked-from-worst-to-best.html

Oh look, The Last Jedi is 3rd best on the list.

And millions of no life fanboys cried out in outrage at one go blah blah blah etc. etc. :lol:

Jason
May 22nd, 2018, 02:05 AM
TIL if you disagree with Vulture, you're a no life fanboy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yw-slayer
May 22nd, 2018, 05:14 AM
Shhh, I'm trolling.

Alan P
May 22nd, 2018, 01:11 PM
Rogue One should be higher up, and TLJ lower down. In fact you could probably do a straight swap.

sandydandy
May 22nd, 2018, 01:40 PM
And millions of no life fanboys cried out in outrage at one go blah blah blah etc. etc. :lol: Still singing that same old song? :angry:

Crazed_Insanity
May 22nd, 2018, 03:15 PM
Rogue One should be higher up, and TLJ lower down. In fact you could probably do a straight swap.

Totally agree.

With regard to empire strikes back, I remembered as a kid that I just found that ending unacceptable. Needed return of Jedi to give me eventual and proper closure. As an adult now, I think I can now appreciate it more...

TLJ was probably attempting to do the same, to confuse and sadden the audiences... withthose plot twists... hopefully the last movie will bring it to a climactic end.

Rare White Ape
May 22nd, 2018, 06:43 PM
The Hero’s Journey is a well known and commonly used plot device that builds narrative tension before leading to a climactic victory. The original trilogy followed it closely, and the sequel trilogy is doing it too.

It usually goes:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Heroesjourney.svg/478px-Heroesjourney.svg.png

Star Wars was the call, Empire was the loss, and Jedi was the victory. The movie Return of the Jedi even has ‘return’ in its name. You can even break down the three films to show their individual Hero’s Journeys in the trilogy, and further than that, split up each film’s acts to show a mini-Hero’s Journey multiple times per film. For example, in Star Wars, Luke Skywalker:

Becomes the owner of two droids who escape (call to adventure) and meets Obi-Wan, who tells him about Darth Vader and the Jedi (supernatural aid). Upon coming home he funds that his aunt and uncle have been killed and decides to leave Tatooine (threshold of transformation), so they go and hire a smuggler to get them off-planet before the Empire finds them. On the way to Alderaan they are captured and end up on the Death Star, and during their escape they rescue Princess Leia (challenges and temptations). But just before they are all free, Obi-Wan is confronted by Vader and is killed (abyss). The remaining heroes travel to Yavin IV, and the smuggler Han Solo chooses to take his bounty for rescuing Leia and leaves the Rebels to fend for themselves. During the battle above the Death Star, Solo appears for a last-minute change of heart (atonement) and helps fend off the TIEs so that Luke has a clear shot. As he makes his final approach, he hears a voice from the ghost of Obi-Wan and chooses to use the force to guide his hand (gift of the goddess) and destroys the Death Star.

If you look closer at the film’s three acts (Tatooine - Death Star - Yavin) you can see the same pattern throughout. It’s a very well written film that contains a lot of meta stories that are organised in a beautiful fashion.

Yw-slayer
May 22nd, 2018, 10:18 PM
Still singing that same old song? :angry:

Yup. :lol:

Rare White Ape
May 23rd, 2018, 12:06 AM
I agree with YW (again! That’s twice!) and I still don’t understand the butthurt about TLJ. I’m actually enjoying the heck out of reading that link.

It’s like a decadent episode of Sesame Street.

Hahahaha!

Dicknose
May 23rd, 2018, 04:17 AM
So the new Solo film is about to hit the screens. Saw a review that says its good...
Hmm probably got a midnight screening somewhere near me, but thats 2 hours from now and I need some sleep.

Rare White Ape
May 23rd, 2018, 04:50 AM
I’ve got my tix for a 18:30 tomorrow night. It’s a bit of a family tradition that me and my mum and my two brothers go see a new Star Wars film on opening night.

2ndMoparMan
May 23rd, 2018, 08:06 AM
Think I'll pass on this one. I'm still miffed that Disney tossed out the Expanded Universe for Star Wars.

Rare White Ape
May 24th, 2018, 03:03 AM
Ok, so, Solo was pretty fucking good and you should all go see it. It’s a rollercoaster film, plus the Kessel mine sequence is fantastic.

FaultyMario
May 24th, 2018, 06:59 AM
how much of a western is it?

Rare White Ape
May 24th, 2018, 08:25 AM
About three klicks east of a spaghetti.

FaultyMario
May 25th, 2018, 07:15 AM
Is that enough to confuse a 6 year old?

FaultyMario
May 25th, 2018, 07:18 AM
Seriously, I find that proper westerns bore the hell out of Bruno but a macncheesed western like Lego Batman can be engaging for him.

Rare White Ape
May 25th, 2018, 01:59 PM
I’d put it on a level with a good Marvel film like the first Iron Man or Guardians of the Galaxy. More adventure than western; I think that word was used because someone somewhere speculated that they’d turn young Han Solo into an Eastwood-esque gunslinger but that’s not really the case. The only real downer was a fairly flat third act that increased tension but reduced its pacing somewhat, but overall it’s a delight to watch.

FaultyMario
May 26th, 2018, 11:46 AM
That was my worry, Quest-type adventures like GotG are not really his thing. The wife thoroughly enjoyed that Australian version of Journey To The West on Netflix, but the young one did not care one bit about it.

Rogue One on the other hand had him on the edge of his seat, but that's a WWII sacrifice movie right?

Alan P
May 29th, 2018, 04:14 PM
So I took the 16 year old to see Solo as he had yet to see Deadpool. And, well, lets just say it was....decent actually. There wasn't a huge amount of Star Wars stuff being thrown in your face in the middle which was good and it was nice to see the dirty, boots on the ground stuff you just don't see in the main SW films. A bit slow in places but overall a decent effort. Surprisingly.

Crazed_Insanity
May 30th, 2018, 03:12 PM
Reviews mostly sounded positive, but for some reason it's going to be viewed as a box office dud.

Wonder if the fans are still protesting about TLJ... ;)

Anyway, I plan to see it eventually..., probably shouldn't judge a movie by just the 1st weekend opening...

MR2 Fan
May 30th, 2018, 09:06 PM
I do think fans are still upset about TLJ as it is still being discussed, so in that regard, I'd say yes, there is some fatigue.

now if TLJ was highly rated then I think we might see a higher turnout for Solo.

The other problem I see is that these movies keep going back and forth in timeline.

Order of release:

Ep 4
Ep 5
Ep 6
Ep 1
Ep 2
Ep 3
Ep 7
Ep 3.9
Ep 8
Ep 3.1?
Ep 9

MR2 Fan
May 30th, 2018, 09:29 PM
also...

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/anMxLLo_700b.jpg

Rare White Ape
May 31st, 2018, 01:16 AM
Caaaaarooooool!

Nah the best way is (as before, with amendments) original trilogy first, then sequel trilogy. Watch the side films at your leisure, as long as you’ve seen the OT first.

It’s not as if you need to construct an elaborate mathematical formula to get that across, although that could change if the rumoured (and IMO totally un-needed) Obi-Wan film is made starring Ewan Macgregor. If that happens, just friggin watch them in the order in which they were made. That probably could apply regardless.

Cam
May 31st, 2018, 04:40 AM
Yeah, just watch 'em in the order in which they were made.

Speaking of watching, I saw Solo last night and was entertained. Lots to like. They were hitting all the tropes, but I should expect that, I guess. There were some contrived bits.

I thought the Maw creature bit was stupid. I read somewhere years ago that the Maw Cluster was a few black holes in close proximity that normally had to be navigated around. The Empire built a secret base in there. I think they should have just hinted at a large base and left it at that.

Rare White Ape
May 31st, 2018, 02:37 PM
Cam forget what you know about the old Star Wars legends. Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to.

speedpimp
May 31st, 2018, 04:02 PM

Rare White Ape
June 20th, 2018, 01:00 PM
Here’s some conjecture, fresh off the hot plate:

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/amp/

Anthology films on hold (Boba Fett, Obi-Wan, etc) while new trilogies from Rian Johnson and GoT showrunners Benioff and Weiss get more focus.

I think this is a very good move.

Leon
June 20th, 2018, 06:56 PM
I enjoyed the Solo movie.

Not as good as Rogue One, but better than Last Jedi.

Jason
June 21st, 2018, 05:08 AM
I feel like they could still go ahead with a well done Ewan McGregor movie... but I don't think anyone was really clamoring for a Solo or Fett movie.

Rare White Ape
June 21st, 2018, 06:27 AM
I am the opposite. See, the Fett movie was one of the three planned films announced shortly after the Disney acquisition, and I thought it would pair up nicely with a Solo film seeing as they’re rivals and all.

But othe flip side, a Ewan McGregor film about Obi-Wan’s later years would be totally pointless because he literally doesn’t leave Tatooine until Luke Skywalker does. Almost the entirety of his watch over Luke is spelled out already in the comics and in Rebels. There’s almost nothing to make a film off; he does no Jedi stuff because he has to hide his identity. I think the only reason people want it to happen is because McGregor is the right age for the film to be made.

Crazed_Insanity
June 21st, 2018, 09:57 AM
Disney is really not handling this very well.

I don't understand why they're doubling down on Rian Johnson after TLJ.

Solo, by pretty much all standards, can be considered as a blockbuster. It's just not doing as well as expected. This 'disappointment' could very well just be poor time slot with lots of competitions.

Pixar's Incredibles2 and all the Marvel movies are doing rather well. Maybe those successes are giving Disney unrealistically high expectations. Maybe those in charge of Disney SW universe are just not doing as good of a job...

TFA didn't impress me.
TLJ disappointed me.
Rogue 1 was pretty cool.
I'll see how I like Solo later...

BTW, I never see SW movies early in theaters and I actually saw Rogue1 on Netflix. Maybe it's my fault that Disney is disappointed at the early box office #s... ;)

MR2 Fan
August 21st, 2018, 06:27 AM
Loan Tran...aka Kelly Marie Tran speaks up after she left social media platforms due to harassment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/movies/kelly-marie-tran.html

I did want to comment on one thing. A lot of people are saying that the only reason she was attacked on social media was racism. I disagree, I think it was a few factors. Sure, racism could be a part of it, but I think it was:

1.) Piling on...they hated other parts of the movie, so they're attacking everything associated with "ruining their childhood"
2.) She wasn't the cute/beautiful sidekick. Honestly I think she looks fine and felt like your average person.
3.) Upset with her character arc, script. There's some silly stuff that happens between her and Finn, especially the ending.
4.) Yes, racism
5.) a combination of some or all of the above things.

As I have probably said before, people feel like they either can't reach/affect the screenwriters or director as much as the actor, even though Rian Johnson is active on twitter for example.

A lot of people for some reason can't separate the actor from the character and say stupid things. I feel so bad for Loan (her real name) and especially after she was so excited to be part of the Star Wars universe, after being a life long fan. To see her dream being slowly destroyed by internet trolls is saddening.

Crazed_Insanity
August 21st, 2018, 12:52 PM
She needs to develop thicker skin and not let internet trolls bother her too much.

I just hope her role will expand in a more meaningful way in the final movie. Otherwise all these crap that happened to her would really really suck.

Yw-slayer
August 21st, 2018, 03:09 PM
She might, but it's easy to say "Suck it up dude" when you're not in the position she is in.

The article goes beyond Internet trolls.

Rare White Ape
August 21st, 2018, 07:27 PM
There was not even a hint that it sounded like she needed to harden up.

Jason
August 21st, 2018, 07:43 PM
Toxic fans have been absolutely shitty about the new trilogy... Can't stand a woman being a quick learner Jedi. Can't stand there being a black main character. Can't stand that other people of color have major roles.

TLJ wasn't my favorite SW movie either, but Jesus, it's a damned movie, it's not that serious. People need to find better things to do with their lives other than spew hate.

Crazed_Insanity
August 22nd, 2018, 10:34 AM
She might, but it's easy to say "Suck it up dude" when you're not in the position she is in.

The article goes beyond Internet trolls.

No, I didn't say she should suck it up, just that she should shake it off! :p

In all seriousness, though I'm no celebrity, but I think I kinda know what she's going thru.

I was born in Taiwan by parents who came from China. So Taiwanese see me as outsider. If I were to "return" to China, surely they'll see me as an outsider too. Now as a naturalized American, will Trump supporters embrace me? Forget about how white americans see me, I've been beaten up by black kids in school too. Anyway, ignoring my asian face or whatever physical features, I don't even really feel I fully fit in here in this forum!

Anyway, it's important to know who we are and what we're doing... we also need to know not everybody's gonna like you. We don't have to try to fit-in and lose ourselves attempting to make people like you more. We also don't have to run away and hide such as shutting down accounts and allow haters to bully you.

Her using her real name now is a good start. I do hope she does well in the future. I would seriously hate SW if her role in the final installment proved to be a meaningless one...

speedpimp
August 22nd, 2018, 03:17 PM
Toxic fans have been absolutely shitty about the new trilogy... Can't stand a woman being a quick learner Jedi. Can't stand there being a black main character. Can't stand that other people of color have major roles.

TLJ wasn't my favorite SW movie either, but Jesus, it's a damned movie, it's not that serious. People need to find better things to do with their lives other than spew hate.

But...but...RUINED...CHILDHOOD...MEMORIES!!!

Sounds like some snowflakes need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get the fuck over it(and I am not referring to Ms. Tran).

Rare White Ape
October 4th, 2018, 06:58 PM
THE MANDALORIAN

The costume looks sick :up:

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-mandalorian-revealed

MR2 Fan
December 26th, 2018, 10:03 PM
2 geeks try to decide which order to watch all of the Star Wars movies....believe it or not, it doesn't go smoothly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWJMc7tpkQI

I've decided to re-evaluate my recommendations for which order to watch them as well.

There's no perfect order, but how about this:

Rogue One
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Phantom Menace (Optional)
Attack of the Clones (Optional)
Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
Force Awakens
Last Jedi
.......Solo
Episode 9

I wonder if Episode 9 will either make Last Jedi better by virtue of finishing plot points, or even renders it not even needed to be watched.

Phil_SS
December 27th, 2018, 08:39 AM
I disagree!

MR2 Fan
December 27th, 2018, 08:51 AM
I disagree!

I think that's the challenge, getting any two Star Wars fans to agree on the order to watch the films

Leon
December 27th, 2018, 10:25 AM
I disagree!

I agree! [I don't know what we're arguing about, but as a fangirl, I want to be involved in any fight on the subject ;) ]

MR2 Fan
December 27th, 2018, 10:42 AM
Someone will probably do a "master" edit once Episode 9 comes out....maybe a 6 to 8 hour highlight of the best parts of all of the movies and in a good storyline sequence.

Edit: Actually, I would love to do this if I had lots of free time and a really good PC

drew
December 29th, 2018, 05:05 AM
The Order: 4-5-6. Bin 1-2-3, watch 7-8 and solo high as fuck.

MR2 Fan
January 7th, 2019, 02:29 PM
I've made a huge mistake....

I asked Mark Hamill on twitter about the viewing order............he replied

Now my twitter inbox is getting hundreds of notifications, lol

https://twitter.com/technosworld/status/1082396505196109826

Crazed_Insanity
January 7th, 2019, 03:15 PM
Luke Skywalker responded to your TWEET!?!?!?!?!?
The force is strong with you kid! Most people had a difficult time trying to figure out where he is!

G'day Mate
January 7th, 2019, 03:20 PM

Alan P
January 7th, 2019, 03:59 PM
I've made a huge mistake....

I asked Mark Hamill on twitter about the viewing order............he replied

Now my twitter inbox is getting hundreds of notifications, lol

https://twitter.com/technosworld/status/1082396505196109826

People are saying start at 1 but then you miss the huge reveal in Empire. I'd say release order, except you can skip 1 entirely. There's like 1 conversation or thing that is even referenced in the later movies. And Rogue 1 after 3. It may even get you to watch 3-6 again.

Freude am Fahren
January 8th, 2019, 07:04 AM
I'd say if you (somehow) have never seen any, go in release order.

If you have and just want to re-watch them all, go in story chronological order, with Rogue 1 thrown in before A New Hope.

Yw-slayer
January 8th, 2019, 07:16 AM
Luke Skywalker responded to your TWEET!?!?!?!?!?
The force is strong with you kid! Most people had a difficult time trying to figure out where he is!

The correct answer is Insurrection followed by Nemesis.

Crazed_Insanity
January 8th, 2019, 08:52 AM
The correct answer is Insurrection followed by Nemesis.

Even as a huge fan of ST:TNG, I don't think I'd recommend Luke Skywalker to watch any of those 2 movies in any order. I've watched them, but I can't even vaguely recall what they were about now...

Similarly, Luke probably doesn't need to watch the 1st 3 episodes about his father. Some things are probably better left unknown. Regarding the last 3 episodes... I understand he had creative differences with the directors Jar Jar Abrams & Romba Johnson so I don't blame him for the sucky alternate universe ending... well, maybe episode 9 can be titled the Last Hope and have some redeeming values? Fingers crossed.

FaultyMario
January 8th, 2019, 01:12 PM
Dude, you're overplaying it. Stop or you're going to ruin it for everybody.

Crazed_Insanity
January 8th, 2019, 02:02 PM
Dude, you're underplaying it. Go at it or you're going to ruin it for everybody!

Rare White Ape
January 8th, 2019, 02:51 PM
I'd say if you (somehow) have never seen any, go in release order.

If you have and just want to re-watch them all, go in story chronological order, with Rogue 1 thrown in before A New Hope.

All of these suggestions miss one critical point: being there when the films were released.

Experiencing the swell of pop culture fandom as each Star Wars nears release in the cinema for the first time is one massive part of it for me.

I think the films have to be seen in release order, but you miss out on the anticipation of the unknown. You miss the wondering where the story started (for the prequels), you miss out on seeing where it goes after RotJ (for the sequels), and you miss the chill up the spine when you realise that ship that Leia was on in Rogue One was the Tantive IV so that must mean Vader’s ship is the Devastator and they’re heading straight for the rendezvous over Tatooine that started it all, nearly 40 years after it first entered our eyeballs and scrambled our brains.

The films aren’t just about the individual stores that you watch some time later on Blu-Ray. They’re about everything else that happens; the meta story of Star Wars, and no watch order can capture that.

MR2 Fan
January 10th, 2019, 06:27 AM
so people have been asking what others are looking forward to most in 2019...Avengers: End Game or Star Wars Episode 9.

Seriously, after all of the other flaws of Episode 8, the other one is that it didn't really end with unanswered questions or a cliffhanger where I feel compelled to watch Episode 9. Unless JJ retcons the whole thing (which is entirely possible), there's nothing in the plot that I'm really concerned about finishing.

The more I think about The Last Jedi, the more I dislike it

Rare White Ape
January 25th, 2019, 08:19 PM
I’ve started watching Resistance. I’ve gone through five episodes and I think it’s excellent.

I mostly put that down to the art style, which is a departure from their previous shows Rebels and Clone Wars. Instead of the shaded, Pixar-esque look, they’ve leaned heavily on a flatter cel-shaded style with sharper lines and finer details. I think it has avoided the uncanny valley better by looking more like a 2D animated show than a 3D one, even though it’s still fully 3D. It actually reminds me quite a lot of Breath of the Wild (otherwise known as the game I’ll refer to far more often in other contexts than I should) and makes me wanna have a Zelda-like game made in that world :)

The main character Kaz is basically a carbon copy of the protagonist from Rebels, except he’s a pilot, not a Jedi, so I’ll sometimes refer to him as Flying Ezra. There’s a lot of similarities here already. He’s got issues with his father, a senator in the New Republic (Ezra lost his parents), he’s a misfit in a strange environment (Ezra, a local miscreant, was adopted by freedom fighters) and he’s a boy learning tough lessons about his place in the galaxy (erm, same for Ezra I guess, but on a much larger scale where the wrong choice could lead down a dark path and result in the total destruction of the Rebel Alliance).

The story takes place well and truly before Poe Dameron finds the map that leads to Skywalker, so you’ve got a bit of a time limit before it potentially doevetails into The Force Awakens, but no too strict. Poe has left BB8 with Kaz and you get some early encounters with a burgeoning First Order, including Captain Phasma. I can’t wait to see where this goes over the next few seasons.

FaultyMario
February 19th, 2019, 05:31 AM
I don't remember if I had watched a complete showing of E7, so last night I sat with the boy and went thru with it. But oh my god, fucking cartoonish crap.

Abrams is so overrated, there's no nuance to characters, He had to get a lot of those original trilogy characters (with the original cast members!) just to get his story moving; that's shit that would have you fail storytelling 101.

You now how people make fun of McGregor for failing miserably at delivering the awful dialogue in some of the prequel scenes? Well, compared to Adam Driver... I wonder why Kylo Ren doesn't twirl his moustache before an action scene.

I just don't see any future paths for this story that can successfully create any cohesive narrative.

MR2 Fan
February 19th, 2019, 06:50 AM
I don't remember if I had watched a complete showing of E7, so last night I sat with the boy and went thru with it. But oh my god, fucking cartoonish crap.

Abrams is so overrated, there's no nuance to characters, He had to get a lot of those original trilogy characters (with the original cast members!) just to get his story moving; that's shit that would have you fail storytelling 101.

You now how people make fun of McGregor for failing miserably at delivering the awful dialogue in some of the prequel scenes? Well, compared to Adam Driver... I wonder why Kylo Ren doesn't twirl his moustache before an action scene.

I just don't see any future paths for this story that can successfully create any cohesive narrative.

Did you see Ep 8? I'd love to hear your thoughts on that one then!

FaultyMario
February 19th, 2019, 07:13 AM
Right now, I'd rather rewatch Rebels, because I didn't do a proper sitdown with the kid. He'd watch it from free-to-air TV on saturday mornings and I'd be doing all sorts of other things, but in those minutes I did sit down, it seemed a pretty solid narrative.

But yeah, E8 is on my list.

Crazed_Insanity
February 19th, 2019, 08:49 AM
I had no issues with actors’ performances. I just thought the story was lacking or unoriginal. Almost the same story as ep 4, recycled again in 7.

As for 8, I was hoping for some sort of amazing surprise like Vader telling Luke he’s his daddy..., but the only surprise I got out of it was how pointless meaningless everything was... movie could’ve been made shorter...

Unless everything is some sort of huge setup for 9? So I guess it’s still possible for 9 to end up awesome and redeem the previous 2 films, but not holding my breath.

As for McGregor, yeah, I can’t stand him in most films. He has this annoying stupid prick quality that I found annoying in the prequels... also hated him in the remade Beauty and the Beast... However, I did like him in Moulin Rouge though. He played that love struck annoying stupid prick perfectly! ;)

FaultyMario
February 19th, 2019, 09:19 AM
I had no issues with actors’ performances.

My complain is that the story relied too much on them, the movie threw its weight on their performances without giving the audience much ground to the emotions of the characters. If it were a dialogue it'd been like this:

Ep7: Kylo is a suffering monster, but it's all anchored in his past.
Audience: Cool!, tell me more.
Ep7: I can't because it'd reveal stuff that i'm saving for later.
Audience: Oh come on, tell us now, it's a bit douchey.
Ep7: Sorry, you're going to have watch the next movie.

Audience: Dude, Finn's getting too touchy with Rey... Is that going anywhere?
Ep7: Can't tell you now!
Audience: What the fuck, man? You're supposed to tell us, that's the whole point.

MR2 Fan
February 19th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Hah, you really should watch Ep 8 then if you think Ep 7 is bad about that! It's on a whole other level

Crazed_Insanity
February 19th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Yes, 8 won’t tell you much more. Just toss in more distractions and confusions. It added more questions than answers.

Hopefully these 2 movies are some sort of awesome setup for the final one. Because otherwise I think the franchise will be doomed because it would totally piss me off enough to stop watching anymore of it.

Anyway, I wouldn’t mind more films like Rogue 1 or Solo though.

Rare White Ape
February 19th, 2019, 11:34 AM
Isn’t the act of not revealing details and saving them for later the whole point of having a trilogy of films that tell a complete story?

If everything was tied up then episode 8 and 9 would be five hours of watching Poe sitting down to drink a cuppa tea.

MR2 Fan
February 19th, 2019, 11:37 AM
Isn’t the act of not revealing details and saving them for later the whole point of having a trilogy of films that tell a complete story?

If everything was tied up then episode 8 and 9 would be five hours of watching Poe sitting down to drink a cuppa tea.

yes and no...there should also be compelling reasons to want to watch the third installment....as of now, I don't even know what they're trying to accomplish in Ep 9, there's no major cliff-hanger or anything...no plan going forward from what I can see.

Crazed_Insanity
February 19th, 2019, 12:06 PM
Yes, if 9 ended with some awesome revealing plot twists, I can certainly forgive the sins of 7 and 8.

Still, fact remains that 7 was essentially a copycat version of 4 and 8 was just not very satisfying. 5 wasn't very satisfying as well because the Empire struck back hard, but the shock and awe of what Vader revealed made you look so forward to the final installment. The only shock and awe I got out of 8 was WTF did I just watch!?!?

sandydandy
February 19th, 2019, 12:19 PM
You now how people make fun of McGregor for failing miserably at delivering the awful dialogue in some of the prequel scenes? I wasn’t aware that people were critical of McGregor’s performance in the prequel trilogy. I know the prequels as a whole (and Christensen’s performance in particular) is regarded as odious excrement, but I’m pretty sure it’s generally agreed upon that McGregor was a solid Obi-wan from start to finish.

I’m disappointed that you’re disappointed in Episode 7. Like others have said, watch Episode 8 and you’ll know the true defintion of garbage. Ugh.

Crazed_Insanity
February 19th, 2019, 12:33 PM
yes and no...there should also be compelling reasons to want to watch the third installment....as of now, I don't even know what they're trying to accomplish in Ep 9, there's no major cliff-hanger or anything...no plan going forward from what I can see.

My guess is that Jedi will fade away like Judiasm. No longer about direct lineage. The Force will become available to all who 'believe', or whatever conditions, just as salvation is available to all who believe in Christianity... and Rey obviously will become the Jesus or the One who start it all. Due to the Kylo Ren imbalance, the Force has awaken Rey to bring balance?

Anyway, the main character that really peaked my interest is Finn. After 2 movies, I still don't quite understand why do we need this useless character who with limited powers who'd just continue to want to save the more powerful Rey... Surely Ep 9 will explain all that to my satisfaction?

Not keeping my hopes up.

MR2 Fan
February 19th, 2019, 12:57 PM
I said when it came out that Ep 8 did feel like Matrix Reloaded regarding Kylo vs. Rey being like Smith vs Neo.

I mean bringing "balance" to the force, like ying and yang, means there's always evil around right?

FaultyMario
February 19th, 2019, 02:03 PM
I wasn’t aware that people were critical of McGregor’s performance in the prequel trilogy. I know the prequels as a whole (and Christensen’s performance in particular) is regarded as odious excrement, but I’m pretty sure it’s generally agreed upon that McGregor was a solid Obi-wan from start to finish.

I've seen YT videos where people put together the worst lines he was given. The spirit of my comment was more: "People make fun of a fine actor subject to subpar dialogue".

JoeW
February 19th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Probably the only good recent Star Wars movie is Rogue One.

I greatly prefer the recent Star Trek movies.

FaultyMario
February 19th, 2019, 05:51 PM
My guess is that Jedi will fade away like Judiasm. No longer about direct lineage. The Force will become available to all who 'believe', or whatever conditions, just as salvation is available to all who believe in Christianity... and Rey obviously will become the Jesus or the One who start it all. Due to the Kylo Ren imbalance, the Force has awaken Rey to bring balance?

Anyway, the main character that really peaked my interest is Finn. After 2 movies, I still don't quite understand why do we need this useless character who with limited powers who'd just continue to want to save the more powerful Rey... Surely Ep 9 will explain all that to my satisfaction?

Not keeping my hopes up.

Dude, SW is its own cult. No need to bring your abrahamic bias into the discussion.

MR2 Fan
February 19th, 2019, 06:32 PM
Probably the only good recent Star Wars movie is Rogue One.

I greatly prefer the recent Star Trek movies.

:up:

sandydandy
February 19th, 2019, 06:39 PM
I've seen YT videos where people put together the worst lines he was given. The spirit of my comment was more: "People make fun of a fine actor subject to subpar dialogue". Gotcha.

MR2 Fan
February 20th, 2019, 06:29 AM
Ewan McGregor was IMO the best part of the prequels....along with Christopher Lee, but he didn't have a big role.

JoeW
February 20th, 2019, 07:57 AM
Agreed.

And don’t forget Lee did all those great Jedi fight scenes. Dude had some serious gymnastic skills :)

FaultyMario
February 20th, 2019, 08:29 AM
I don't even know what they're trying to accomplish in Ep 9, there's no major cliff-hanger or anything...no plan going forward from what I can see.

Money. Disney just wants the money.

As far as Ep. 8, you guys aroused my curiosity and I watched it last night. It's defo dumbed-down scifi and if I were to summarize it I'd call it a board book, a 600-page board book. Mah gawd, is that thing long or what?

But it's only super long because it's full of unnecessary shit. I think one part of it is that it tries to fill in on a lot of the hollowed-up stories that make up Ep. 7, so there's some merit on it being so long. But, half the movie is built on the premise that the rebel fleet has to outrun the Odessa empire, which is a completely pointless story since in the end they just say "fuck it" and resolve the main conflict with something entirely different, because the root of that conflict was something entirely different from what the writers had the audience believe. Since the beginning! So instead of an exciting naval WWII thriller, it's just a fucking boring heist movie that chooses to be a space western in the end. Dumb.

Like I said, there's good parts to it. But those parts should have been in Ep. 7, It's a bad movie because it is dragged down with OPPs instead of concentrating on its own conlficts, and some of the minor conflicts are really kind of lame. Take Rey's conflicts for example, you can't have that much complexity if you're only willing to have shallow components to the character; she has conflicting feelings to the Solos, the Skywalkers, the force and to herself. But then the production remembers it's a heroine, not some testosterone filled macho dude; and also that Rey has to be written for children, so they can't scare the children away. But instead of adding layers of depth and nuance to her intentions and emotions, it's all patchwork: she becomes a quilt, not the bed. A feminist approach worked marvels for Wonder Woman, so it's not like it's an impossible task.

I would have done away with Del Toro's and Laura Dern's characters, they add nothing to Ep. 8, just running time. i'm glad I didn't watch it in a theater.

As for Ep. 9 I feel there's nothing they can solve about these characters, except maybe that Rey is Han Solo's lovechild, because the only thing that's so far unexplained is why Ben's going out of his way to convice her she's worthless, but that is not super interesting either.

A solid meh.

sandydandy
February 20th, 2019, 09:07 AM
Now sit back and wait for YW to call you a bitter fanboy!

Crazed_Insanity
February 20th, 2019, 09:11 AM
There were/are so many unexplained things that I think they could creatively come up with something possibly interesting...

For example, who is Snoke? Of course it probably doesn't matter now, but perhaps Rey is his love child. Point is we only know that Rey is a nobody according to Kylo Ren. Why should we trust him?
Finn's origin and purpose is also still a mystery. I can't believe they'd cast a main character in all 3 movies just for that.

It's possible that those force sensitive kids were all abandoned love children by those evil characters strong with the force? Surely these evil men could get horny at times?

Also, with Princes Leia dead in real life, they'll most likely have to rewrite their 'original' stories...

So there are endless possibilities that the last movie might end well. But of course, not keeping my hopes up.

FaultyMario
February 20th, 2019, 09:14 AM
I am sorry, but I think Finn is your token magical negro.

MR2 Fan
February 20th, 2019, 09:20 AM
There's a LOT of flaws with Ep 8

My suggested titles for Ep 9:

Star Wars: It was all a Dream
Star Wars: A New New Hope
Star Wars: Leia's Revenge
Star Wars: Rogue Two
Star Wars: Rey Kenobi

FaultyMario
February 20th, 2019, 09:22 AM
Here's indiewire's take on John Boyegas' sleeping beauty (https://www.indiewire.com/2015/12/hyper-tokenism-the-force-awakens-while-the-black-man-sleeps-162287/).

FaultyMario
February 20th, 2019, 09:23 AM
There's a LOT of flaws with Ep 8

My suggested titles for Ep 9:

Star Wars: It was all a Dream

Star Wars: Lost.

Crazed_Insanity
February 20th, 2019, 09:45 AM
Here's indiewire's take on John Boyegas' sleeping beauty (https://www.indiewire.com/2015/12/hyper-tokenism-the-force-awakens-while-the-black-man-sleeps-162287/).

But Finn isn't really all that 'beautiful'! :p

I seriously doubt Disney is going to portray the idea of black man don't matter in the end. That'd be a foolish foolish thing to do.

Star Wars: Make This Far Far Away Galaxy Great Again

Rare White Ape
February 20th, 2019, 05:26 PM
Money. Disney just wants the money.

As far as Ep. 8, you guys aroused my curiosity and I watched it last night. It's defo dumbed-down scifi and if I were to summarize it I'd call it a board book, a 600-page board book. Mah gawd, is that thing long or what?

But it's only super long because it's full of unnecessary shit. I think one part of it is that it tries to fill in on a lot of the hollowed-up stories that make up Ep. 7, so there's some merit on it being so long. But, half the movie is built on the premise that the rebel fleet has to outrun the Odessa empire, which is a completely pointless story since in the end they just say "fuck it" and resolve the main conflict with something entirely different, because the root of that conflict was something entirely different from what the writers had the audience believe. Since the beginning! So instead of an exciting naval WWII thriller, it's just a fucking boring heist movie that chooses to be a space western in the end. Dumb.

Like I said, there's good parts to it. But those parts should have been in Ep. 7, It's a bad movie because it is dragged down with OPPs instead of concentrating on its own conlficts, and some of the minor conflicts are really kind of lame. Take Rey's conflicts for example, you can't have that much complexity if you're only willing to have shallow components to the character; she has conflicting feelings to the Solos, the Skywalkers, the force and to herself. But then the production remembers it's a heroine, not some testosterone filled macho dude; and also that Rey has to be written for children, so they can't scare the children away. But instead of adding layers of depth and nuance to her intentions and emotions, it's all patchwork: she becomes a quilt, not the bed. A feminist approach worked marvels for Wonder Woman, so it's not like it's an impossible task.

I would have done away with Del Toro's and Laura Dern's characters, they add nothing to Ep. 8, just running time. i'm glad I didn't watch it in a theater.

As for Ep. 9 I feel there's nothing they can solve about these characters, except maybe that Rey is Han Solo's lovechild, because the only thing that's so far unexplained is why Ben's going out of his way to convice her she's worthless, but that is not super interesting either.

A solid meh.

You know what? This is the first time I’ve seen a really good post explaining the details of why someone would dislike TLJ. All that internet hubris and toxicity over the last 14 months and it took until now for someone to clearly spell things out. So I thank you.

I still don’t agree though ;)

I thought it was a great film with a few wonderful payoffs and Adam Driver basically stealing every scene that he’s in. I’ve said before (possibly in this thread) that the prequels would’ve been amazing if he played the role of Anakin Skywalker during his fall to the dark side.

The story is continuing in the comics, too. The current Poe Dameron series picks up just as the dozen-or-so surviving rebels are fleeing Crait in the Millennium Falcon. Leia says that everything they need is on that ship.

Rare White Ape
February 20th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Point is we only know that Rey is a nobody according to Kylo Ren. Why should we trust him?

Worthy question. Let’s see in episode 9.

Finn's origin and purpose is also still a mystery. I can't believe they'd cast a main character in all 3 movies just for that.

His origin: a kid from a poor planet who got plucked up and fed into the New Order military machine. He’s basically anonymous.

His purpose: accidental sidekick to Poe.

Poe is the under-used Han Solo of this saga, and Finn is his Chewbacca.

Crazed_Insanity
February 20th, 2019, 06:55 PM
As the 1st face shown in the new trailer, I can’t believe Finn is just going to be a Chewbacca.

Surely he’s going to be related to Billy D Williams or Samuel L Jackson somehow! :p

Rare White Ape
February 20th, 2019, 09:20 PM
Is that because he’s black, Billi?

Crazed_Insanity
February 20th, 2019, 09:37 PM
What cha talkin about Rare Willis Ape? I thought all storm troopers are white. :p

George
February 27th, 2019, 09:57 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/x5Lbye6D9kXza/giphy.gif

Rare White Ape
February 28th, 2019, 04:05 AM
Unf

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/02/weve-been-to-star-wars-galaxys-edge-and-life-will-never-be-the-same/

Phil_SS
February 28th, 2019, 04:13 AM
Yeah.......

MR2 Fan
February 28th, 2019, 05:05 AM
It's going to be amazing....it's also going to be impossible to experience properly for a while due to the massive crowds that will be visiting.

Crazed_Insanity
February 28th, 2019, 07:01 AM
Can’t wait.

However, I don’t like how Disney has named it. Galaxy’s Edge sounds like something Samsung makes... :p

MR2 Fan
February 28th, 2019, 08:21 AM
Just a note, when Universal Orlando opened the first Harry Potter themed area....and Universal's 2 parks were somewhat popular but still had attendance issues....the crowds looked like this:

https://pcdn.columbian.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/0705_FEA_UNIVERSAL-HARRYPOT-1024x590.jpg

For context, this is pretty far away from the actual entrance to the park itself, so this is just about half or less of the actual line waiting to get in that day in 2010.

The Galaxy's Edge line will probably be similar and it will be very interesting how Disneyland (first) handles those crowds.

Crazed_Insanity
February 28th, 2019, 10:10 AM
Disneyland is not only expanding the park, parking structures are being expanded as well. From the looks of it, they can probably double their parking capacity. They now charge $25 just for parking your car. These fees and high ticket prices will be in place to control crowds! ;)

Rare White Ape
February 28th, 2019, 12:09 PM
I think I’ll be fine with car parking. The biggest thing I’ve got to worry about is finding a spot for the A380.

MR2 Fan
March 7th, 2019, 09:50 AM
Updates on Galaxy's Edge opening dates

Disneyland on May 31st ****
WDW on August 31st ****

**** ONE of the big rides will NOT be opening on those dates for both parks. The Rise of the Resistance attraction is expected to open a few months later in both places. Not sure if it's due to more time being needed, to better control crowds, or both.

MR2 Fan
April 11th, 2019, 07:10 AM
Seems JJ Abrams confirmed possibly that there was NO overall plan for this current trilogy of Star Wars 7-9 and that's part of the reason I hated TLJ so much.

It will be very interesting to see what JJ does with Ep 9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTOD0onoQP4

FaultyMario
April 11th, 2019, 07:40 AM
Avi Arad is a much better showrunner than Abrams.

Crazed_Insanity
April 11th, 2019, 09:22 AM
Avi Arad is a much better showrunner than Abrams.

Agreed.

I can't believe Disney bought this franchise and totally dissed George Lucas' vision all the while having no vision of their own and allow 3 different directors to freely do whatever they want...

It's also interesting that Disney while allowing directors the freedom initially would then later on pull their plugs...

Anyway, unbelievable.

Hopefully the Force will somehow make this trilogy all work out in the end. May the Force be with Episode 9.

Blerpa
April 11th, 2019, 11:35 AM
George Lucas' vision all the while having no vision of their own...

You must not be savvy on Star Wars lore: George Lucas original vision of Star Wars was utterly shite and it was not supposed to be a trilogy at all.
He run with it for 3 movies each time without really knowing where he was ending up. (Wait, where I've heard that before? The mind boggles...)
Also revisionists may tell you neither him, producers nor other writers did actually came up with the "I'm your father" plot twist.

MR2 Fan
April 11th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Well, from what I understand... he wanted to bring back Flash Gordon to the big screen, but couldn't obtain the rights, so instead he decided to make his own space opera. Then later on he was in a severe car accident and while in the hospital, he read some book about the power of religion and adding it to a story to make it more compelling and "the force" part of the story was born.

Then something, something, single movie, not planning to have Luke and Leia be brother and sister "Looking for love in Alderran places"...etc. etc.

I think the issues with the current films are more apparent when Kevin Feige (among others helping him) can wrangle 22 films together in a single decade and have it all very cohesive and they're much more diverse in setting and story than the Star Wars films

Phil_SS
April 11th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Star Wars fans have ruined Star Wars, not the directors.

Crazed_Insanity
April 11th, 2019, 12:35 PM
That doesn't compute.

Anyway, Disney owns Marvel too..., I wonder why they decided to run the 2 universes so differently.

It's obvious the Star Wars universe is the less appealing one. Maybe they can add some excitement in the last episode by introducing some Marvel characters... Since we no longer have any Jedis, Episode 9: The First Superhero!

MR2 Fan
April 11th, 2019, 01:06 PM

Disagree. Yes there's a rabid fanbase who disagrees with some decisions not based on the merits of the work, but insert whatever closed minded opinion...BUT I still think Rian Johnson did more damage.

Rare White Ape
April 11th, 2019, 02:04 PM
No.

EA ruined Star Wars.

Rare White Ape
April 11th, 2019, 02:14 PM
I also stand behind my view that TLJ was a great film.

Any complaints about it just boil down to the part where our heroes went to the casino planet being a bit shit. Complaints outside of this begin to fall into the realm of 4chan or 8chan gamergate/comicsgate retards being dicks, and they should not be listened to.

Yw-slayer
April 11th, 2019, 03:16 PM
:popcorn: from the chair of NCC-1701D.

Rare White Ape
April 11th, 2019, 05:22 PM
On that note I'm surprised the 4/8chan dicks haven't yet attacked Star Trek given it's highly progressive stance on race, homosexuality, socialism, science, justice, etc.

Yw-slayer
April 11th, 2019, 05:48 PM
The shows and their morals are generally too progressive for them to be interested in. Early Star Wars was far less so.

Crazed_Insanity
April 11th, 2019, 10:49 PM
I think mr2’s linked video interview nailed the main issue in the head. Forget about the vain chase/casino scene, vain main characters such as Finn and Snoke... it all boils down to Luke skywalker. If you can accept that Luke, then you’ll probably like the movie. Problem for me is that I’m unconvinced that Luke could’ve gone into hiding and become so hopeless like that. He helped turned Ben into a monster, I just can’t believe he’ll run away and bury his head in the sand like that. That’s just not the same Luke from return of Jedi....

Of course, that was a younger and more naive luke, time could have changed Luke over the years I suppose, but I just don’t think the storyline was compelling enough to convince me...

Anyway, people are free to disagree. I hated empire strikes back then too, but have grown to love it as I’ve gotten older. Will I feel the same for TLJ? Maybe, but I won’t hold my breath.

Blerpa
April 12th, 2019, 03:47 AM

This. Them and George Lucas in the end of the 90s.

I also stand behind my view that TLJ was a great film.

Any complaints about it just boil down to the part where our heroes went to the casino planet being a bit shit. Complaints outside of this begin to fall into the realm of 4chan or 8chan gamergate/comicsgate retards being dicks, and they should not be listened to.

Totally agreed.
Luke was always the introvert self-blame-when-things-go-apeshit not much selfconfident type, so the way he turned to be in the new movies seemed to me full on character.
The "vulgar display of power and arrogance" in TLJ? That's a sensible development from someone that has endured so much and mastered the deep meaning of the Force, once he cleared his doubts and selfdeprecation ("You know nothing, Kylo Snow").

The Empire Strikes Back, to me, has always been the best movie in the series, by a long shot (possibly with Rogue One a distant second).
Taking away nostalgia and fan related tinted glasses TESB is a very good movie on its own, even without the star wars connection, while all of the other movies in the franchise (again with the exception of Rogue One), once you take away the fact that "oh, my god, it is Star Wars!" bias... well, they are all pretty much mediocre, Star Wars and Return of the Jedi included.
Irvin Keshner was, and is, never praised enough for his work on TESB.

JoeW
April 12th, 2019, 03:47 AM
:popcorn: from the chair of NCC-1701D.
Word.

This video is quite good and funny regarding TLJ.

https://youtu.be/tNoMQSvNAWE

MR2 Fan
April 12th, 2019, 05:15 AM
I have a lot of issues with the movie not dealing with Luke's character or any anti-SJW crap that lots of youtube channels decided to spew.

Not to get into details, I'll put it simply. You don't come into the 8th movie of a franchise as a director/writer....not planned to be part of Episode 9, and then basically tell the audience "everything you know is wrong" , then leave some other poor soul to clean up the mess.

Crazed_Insanity
April 12th, 2019, 06:55 AM
You know I thought about this a bit more..., I seriously find it unlikely that Disney really allowed that much freedom to just let 3 directors to just wing it like this. They must've all agreed to some sort of basic outline of a story and then allowed to be creative on their own somewhat in each of their movies. I think that's probably what they started out with..., but then... some fans probably figured their story out... so they just had to change stuff in order to be no very predictive... disadvantage of having social media nowadays...

Also, death of Carrie Fisher probably also further screwed their original plan, that's why they need JJ to come back to redo/save this franchise.

All 3 of the original characters really should've been killed off in Force Awaken..., they should've anticipated that some of the old actors might actual die in RL and screw up your script...

I really think JJ just said all that crap to generate more discussion or to stir up fan base further. Better to stir up something rather than nothing.

MR2 Fan
April 12th, 2019, 09:35 AM
As soon as the name and trailer dropped, Twitter crashed, lol

FaultyMario
April 12th, 2019, 12:03 PM
maybe that Rey is Han Solo's lovechild

So, "Rise of Skywalker", I guess Han Solo was not the only one fooling around, eh.

Crazed_Insanity
April 12th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Word.

This video is quite good and funny regarding TLJ.

https://youtu.be/tNoMQSvNAWE
Listened thru it during lunch. I can’t disagree with him on anything other than the ugly fat Asian chick part. Com’on, she’s just a bit chubby and not that gorgeous... I wouldn’t call her fat and ugly!!!

One thing this dude brought to my attention is that this film is indeed overly feministic.

Besides Po being dumber than the purple hair admiral...

Rey better than Finn and even Luke and Kylie.

Leia is the stronger and surviving sibling.

MR2 Fan
April 12th, 2019, 12:52 PM
Yeah, the hating on Kelly Marie Tran was really overboard and not her fault at all, I stopped watching that video when he started that path and then talked about Rey being a Mary Sue.

It's sad because Kelly Marie Tran was so excited to be in a Star Wars movie, then because her character was written poorly, then morons attack her.

The good thing is that she got a standing ovation today when she was introduced at Star Wars Celebration.

I don't care if people call Rey a mary sue...there's still something we don't know about her and we'll probably find out in Ep 9...they won't leave this idea that she's just RANDOMLY super powerful I don't think without an explanation

Rare White Ape
April 12th, 2019, 02:40 PM
THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

https://youtu.be/adzYW5DZoWs

Crazed_Insanity
April 12th, 2019, 03:15 PM
As the 1st face shown in the new trailer, I can’t believe Finn is just going to be a Chewbacca.

Surely he’s going to be related to Billy D Williams or Samuel L Jackson somehow! :p

Lando is in the trailer!!!

“Finn, I must be your father!!!”

Anyway, this last episode’s title is very perplexing.

I guess JJ is doing a good job raising curiosity of disgruntled fans...

Yw-slayer
April 12th, 2019, 03:21 PM
I didn't think it was feminist at all. These guys need to go back to their butthurt caves.

Crazed_Insanity
April 12th, 2019, 07:39 PM
I didn’t think it at 1st, but after examining it closely, why do we need Finn? Why do we need Solo? Why do we need Luke? Rey could kick his ass with minimal training. She can protkick Kylo’s butt too... Po is a good pilot, but mostly a stupid hothead.

It’s already known that those evil characters are toxic, but these good guys just don’t seem to know what they’re doing and are messing things up!

Rare White Ape
April 12th, 2019, 08:05 PM
So this is apparently a leaked promo image for the next Star Wars game, which is to be properly unveiled in the next few hours at Celebration.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-04-12-star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-artwork-leaks-via-amazon-t-shirt-listing

https://d2skuhm0vrry40.cloudfront.net/2019/articles/2019-04-12-11-35/poster.png/EG11/resize/640x-1/quality/75/format/jpg

MR2 Fan
April 12th, 2019, 09:32 PM
I didn’t think it at 1st, but after examining it closely, why do we need Finn? Why do we need Solo? Why do we need Luke? Rey could kick his ass with minimal training. She can protkick Kylo’s butt too... Po is a good pilot, but mostly a stupid hothead.

It’s already known that those evil characters are toxic, but these good guys just don’t seem to know what they’re doing and are messing things up!

why do we need Billi? :p

Crazed_Insanity
April 13th, 2019, 12:06 AM
We don't! That's the whole point. Not all men are useless Billis!!! We don't need to portray all men that way! :p

Rare White Ape
April 13th, 2019, 02:21 PM
https://youtu.be/xaCy-qCR1UY

Rare White Ape
April 13th, 2019, 02:24 PM
While I’m here…

HAY GUYS, EPISODE 8 HAPPENED. YOU MIGHT HAVE HATED IT. WHO CARES? IT’S DONE. YOU CAN’T CHANGE IT. MOVE ON. ITS OVER. THERES A NEW FILM COMING OUT SOON.

Godson
April 14th, 2019, 08:58 AM
8 was utter trash. Leia dying, but not dying.

The whole plot followed the same setup as "A New Hope". Right down to the "Master Jedi" dying at the end to protect everyone. Fucking martyrdom

It was garbage.

Crazed_Insanity
April 14th, 2019, 01:23 PM
Yeah, leia dying but not dying and Luke not dying and dying seems almost like deliberately done just to mess with audiences while adding nothing to the story...

Anyway, I’m still hopeful 9 could make more sense of this mess. If the skywalker saga fail to raise my expectation in this final episode, I’m going to boycott Galaxys Edge in Disneyland!!!

Phil_SS
April 15th, 2019, 11:59 AM
Call me crazy but it seems painfully obvious that Rey is not the Skywalker they are talking about because she isn't a Skywalker.

Now what Rise means will be the interesting part.

tigeraid
April 15th, 2019, 12:27 PM
I mean, Kylo IS a Skywalker, so......

The359
April 15th, 2019, 01:44 PM
Or the spirit of Anakin...

Crazed_Insanity
April 15th, 2019, 02:02 PM
Yes.

Like I've said before, Jedi is akin to Judiasm and Skywalker is gonna be like Christianity. Same Force, but there's no need to have physical direct lineage anymore. If you believe in Luke, the last Jedi, you too can have the Force. End of TLJ showed us the beginning of this new reality.

As for Rey's true lineage... who really knows. Yeah, most likely she is not related to Leia nor Luke, but I still think Kylo was lying about her being absolutely nobody. It'd be cool if she has a darker past... such as being related to Palpatine somehow...

Anyway, regardless of her lineage, her name is indicative of who she will be in the future SW saga. She's gonna be king of something...

Godson
April 15th, 2019, 03:33 PM
If she ends up being palpatines daughter, this shit is literally rinse and repeat with new characters.

I seriously fucking hope not.

Crazed_Insanity
April 15th, 2019, 05:47 PM
The circle of life man! ;)

Anyway, maybe it won’t be Palpatine, otherwise he wouldn’t laugh so happily to see his grand daughter turning to the bright side of the force...

Perhaps she’s related to snoke? It’d be nice if they explain snoke a bit more...

Godson
April 15th, 2019, 07:41 PM
Shit writing

Phil_SS
April 16th, 2019, 05:37 AM
Why does she have to be related to anybody? Anakin wasn't, his mother was a slave. I know we have no idea who is father is but I'm sure he wasn't anybody either.

Same with all the other Jedi's in EP1 thru 3 from all the different races and planets.......

IMO, the Rise will be about the redemption of Kylo. He will finally put away his hate and he an Rey will rebuild the Jedi order. I think Anakin will help with that redemption.

FaultyMario
April 16th, 2019, 08:40 AM
Shit writing

The force is strong with this one.

Crazed_Insanity
April 16th, 2019, 09:53 AM
Why does she have to be related to anybody? Anakin wasn't, his mother was a slave. I know we have no idea who is father is but I'm sure he wasn't anybody either.

Same with all the other Jedi's in EP1 thru 3 from all the different races and planets.......

IMO, the Rise will be about the redemption of Kylo. He will finally put away his hate and he an Rey will rebuild the Jedi order. I think Anakin will help with that redemption.

Anyway, regardless of how it ends, I do hope JJ will stay true to his word that he'll make it a satisfying end of not just the previous 2 episodes, but previous 8 episodes. I'm keeping my hopes half way up.

MR2 Fan
May 2nd, 2019, 02:43 PM
Peter Mayhew has passed away :( confirmed by his official twitter account

Crazed_Insanity
May 2nd, 2019, 04:52 PM
He had some health issues, right? That’s why he retired post TFA?

Anyway, thanks Peter, for your portrayal of chewie..., May you RIP.

Rare White Ape
May 2nd, 2019, 05:03 PM
Rawr in peace :(

Rare White Ape
May 10th, 2019, 08:25 PM
Guys...

WATCH THIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2SMng4u1k

drew
May 11th, 2019, 03:11 AM
I saw something about this a couple days ago but didn't get to see it, until now.
Insane.

Crazed_Insanity
May 11th, 2019, 11:43 AM
Nice update!

Makes me wonder what the original looks like now..., probably super lame?!?! ;)

Rare White Ape
May 17th, 2019, 05:44 AM
https://youtu.be/ng3Ivf0eZIY

MR2 Fan
May 17th, 2019, 07:41 AM
In 2 weeks, Disneyland's version of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge will open to guests, sort of. They're doing a 4 hour "window" of time for people to enjoy the land due to the sheer number of people expected. Also, only one of the two big attractions will be open.

Apparently once your time is up....they will have Stormtroopers escort you out of the area. I can't wait to see how that "works"

Kchrpm
May 17th, 2019, 07:56 AM
They will give you a different colored wristband based on your reservation time slot. Once your 4 hour window is up, your wristband will no longer allow you into the attractions. If you're there far past your window, it's my understanding that they may have stormtroopers that are in the area tell you that you should go. I don't think anyone is going to try to physically remove you.

MR2 Fan
May 17th, 2019, 11:12 AM
They will give you a different colored wristband based on your reservation time slot. Once your 4 hour window is up, your wristband will no longer allow you into the attractions. If you're there far past your window, it's my understanding that they may have stormtroopers that are in the area tell you that you should go. I don't think anyone is going to try to physically remove you.

Makes more sense, still, I'd like to be there on opening day....on a bench somewhere, just watching everything going on.

Crazed_Insanity
May 17th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Not me. Give them some time to smooth out their Galaxy's edges, then I'll go. :p

Rare White Ape
May 17th, 2019, 12:45 PM
I’m picturing that scene in the Corellian spaceport with hundreds of guests being roughed up, kicked, hit with the butt of a rifle, or dragged off with their wrists folded against their forearms.

They wanted the authentic Star Wars treatment, didn’t they?

Crazed_Insanity
May 28th, 2019, 09:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=569&v=0oQtGCtnF2Y

MR2 Fan
September 14th, 2019, 11:10 AM
So....Galaxy's Edge opened recently in Disney World...well, most of it at least, and due to low crowds, I've visited it twice for about 3 hours each time.

The land will feature two attractions. Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run (now open) and Rise of the Resistance (not open til December).

Rise is supposed to be the BIG one....biggest ride Disney's ever made I believe, but until then, the Falcon ride is decent...basically a simulator where you have to steer, or push buttons to somewhat affect the flying. Oh and you're not riding with Han Solo, or Lando, but Hondo from one of the TV series and Chewbacca makes a cameo in the pre-show....it's decent.

The land itself is huge, but still missing something. They have blue milk which is really good (not actually milk), and green milk which I didn't try.

You'll see a couple of stormtroopers walking around, sometimes you'll see Rey or Kylo Ren, but there's definitely a lack of characters and interaction around. To do most things, like build a lightsaber or a droid, you'll be spending a lot of money.

There's also a complete lack of music in the land, which is an odd choice. You do hear, VERY CLEARLY, some very loud sounds of spaceships taking off and landing, and wow did they put a lot of work into making that sound real. But music, especially John Williams music would have made the land feel a lot more special. Oh, did I mention you're on a different planet than any of the movies? A place called Batuu. I guess it's been randomly referenced before, but nothing really points directly to an existing movie.

I didn't go into Oga's Cantina, as the drinks are too expensive and you have to make reservations.

There's also a Play app to play games with QR Codes and puzzles around the land but I couldn't get it to work.

Overall, I hope we'll see a lot more droids, characters, music, and other types of shows or features around the area. Crowds on both coasts have been WAAAAAY below expectations and I'm sure Disney execs are scratching their heads. Perhaps putting everything in the new trilogy wasn't the best idea? I don't know.

Crazed_Insanity
September 14th, 2019, 01:35 PM
They screwed the fans over with TLJ and charged insanely expensive ticket prices, so the lower than expected attendance probably should be expected.

People speculated that the movie Solo only bombed because of TLJ too, right?

Hopefully the final installment will end well, along with Rise of the resistance opening up, maybe Disney and Star Wars fans will finally be able to make amends...

Anyway, low attendance is good for us... our annual passes are about to expire soon, daughter is now 7 yrs old, so probably won’t renew the passes anymore... looking forward to visiting it soon without having to fight a huge crowd.

Rare White Ape
September 14th, 2019, 01:41 PM
I saw that Jack Black went there in a Jablinski video, it looked kinda fun. The droid building section would definitely interest me!

Maybe to build atmosphere they could give everyone hideous brown cloaks to wear and increase the numbers of stormtroopers. They could let you have a quick look in the cantina and build areas, but then kick you out if you’re not spending money. Ramp up the classist overtones and oppressive authoritarianism for that really authentic Star Wars feel.

You’re not really living under the Empire if you’re not living in fear.

Crazed_Insanity
September 14th, 2019, 02:28 PM
Haha! Cool ideas! :D

However, I heard Disney cut the work hours of those characters due to low turnout... so maybe there would’ve been more stormtrooper had the turnout be greater.

I planned on getting a thermal detonator coke. Did you get one MR2?

You know the going rate for those things? Need to smuggle some out...

MR2 Fan
September 14th, 2019, 03:03 PM
Haha! Cool ideas! :D

However, I heard Disney cut the work hours of those characters due to low turnout... so maybe there would’ve been more stormtrooper had the turnout be greater.

I planned on getting a thermal detonator coke. Did you get one MR2?

You know the going rate for those things? Need to smuggle some out...

one of my friends got a diet coke thermal detonator, it's like $6.95 or something

Yw-slayer
September 14th, 2019, 03:06 PM
How did they screw the fans over with TLJ? Mind you, I don't really care as I find joy in anything that makes Star Wars fanboys angry.

Blerpa
September 14th, 2019, 03:15 PM
I actually loved TLJ, so no idea what he is about.

speedpimp
September 14th, 2019, 03:47 PM
It's just Billy/i/e, Billy-ing cauze you know Billy gonna Billy.

MR2 Fan
September 14th, 2019, 05:01 PM
I thought TLJ was deeply flawed and didn't really fit in well with the story up to that point...but maybe episode 9 will make sense of some of it

Rare White Ape
September 14th, 2019, 05:13 PM
How did they screw the fans over with TLJ? Mind you, I don't really care as I find joy in anything that makes Star Wars fanboys angry.

I would contend that it is not Star Wars fanboys who are angry. Probably more the 4chan/8chan gamergate/comicsgate cunts who are ruining everything for pop culture fans at the moment.

Crazed_Insanity
September 14th, 2019, 05:31 PM

Luke skywalker was simply out of character compared to the original trilogy.

To me at least, just felt like the director wanted to surprise the audience for the sake of surprising. Seemingly a lot of pointless plot lines. Reminded me of the TV show lost. They raise audience’s expectations and then the plot line ends with either disappointment or remain unresolved. Hope the last movie won’t end like Lost.

Anyway, maybe all the folks who love the latest movies are all living far far away from Disneyland that’s why the turn out is low. :p

Blerpa
September 15th, 2019, 05:42 AM
Luke skywalker was simply out of character compared to the original trilogy.

Not at all. It was perfectly in character.
Everyone saying so hasn't really followed his peculiar personality during the whole original trilogy.

Crazed_Insanity
September 15th, 2019, 09:59 AM
Can you explain this peculiarity a bit more? What did I miss?

Yw-slayer
September 15th, 2019, 10:49 AM
I agree with Blerpa and RWA. A bit like the saddos who hate on Captain Marvel and Brie Larson.

JoeW
September 15th, 2019, 11:01 AM
Meh...just give me Star Trek land and I’d be all over it.

Rare White Ape
September 15th, 2019, 01:09 PM
I agree with Blerpa and RWA. A bit like the saddos who hate on Captain Marvel and Brie Larson.

They're the ones. They are horrible, horrible people.

The incel saddos are pretty bad too.

MR2 Fan
September 15th, 2019, 02:15 PM
Meh...just give me Star Trek land and I’d be all over it.

There was, in Las Vegas, but it closed :(

Crazed_Insanity
September 16th, 2019, 09:16 AM
I think I visited LV Hilton for that Star Trek experience, but I don’t remember it much...

Probably because it charged very high ticket prices that’s why I didn’t go thru with it? It was long ago, honestly can’t remember.

Maybe most people are just cheap like me that’s why Disney charging so much money is the main culprit for low turn out.

MR2 Fan
September 16th, 2019, 09:48 AM
Another thing that may be an issue with the new Star Wars land is that there's a "Resistance" vs the pseudo-fascist First Order troopers and maybe it's a bit too real for people these days.

Crazed_Insanity
September 16th, 2019, 10:07 AM
That's another good point too. I am a bit wary of going to big events nowadays... whether it's mass shooters or foreign terrorists...

But yeah, about the only thing I can do is to be alert and have thoughts and prayers before hand and hope to God that He's watching over us...

MR2 Fan
September 18th, 2019, 08:48 AM
It is very annoying, the people who think anyone who didn't like TLJ is part of the anti-SJW, alt right....whatever crowd.

No, TLJ had a ton of flaws and it seemed that either Rian Johnson decided to undo a lot of things, OR they didn't have a proper vision of the whole trilogy's plot, or both. It could also be part of JJ's "mystery box" stuff that Rian decide to answer....but not in a satisfying way.

If anyone wants me to go over all of the reasons I didn't like TLJ (that had nothing to do with Luke or Laura Dern's character), I'll be glad to go over them

Crazed_Insanity
September 18th, 2019, 09:08 AM
If people already love that movie, they're not going to listen to you criticize something that they love.

If they don't care about that movie, like YW, he's not gonna care about what you say... unless what you say can make star wars fanbois angry!!! :angry: Are you a star wars fanboy? If yes, can you make yourself angry? ;)

I also don't care because I most likely would agree with all of your reasons.

So just chill. It's just a movie! :p

Just hope the last one will be good and be able to resolve things nicely... The Rise of Skywalker shall also be known as "The Last Hope"! Fingers crossed!

MR2 Fan
September 18th, 2019, 09:41 AM
To be clear, I do blame the right wing idiots for mostly preventing constructive criticism of the movie because they once again think it had some kind of agenda and they try to yell louder than everyone else.

Leon
September 18th, 2019, 12:02 PM
I am concerned that they have written themselves into a corner, such that any "conclusion" movie outcome seems likely to be disappointing come movie #3.

Crazed_Insanity
September 18th, 2019, 12:33 PM
Well, maybe Anakin Skywalker force ghost along with Luke's... and with Rey and Ben and Finn will somehow figure out a way to turn Palpatine, Anakin's real father and Rey's grandpa, away from the dark side and give us a satisfying conclusion.

The only problem left will be Finn... not knowing exactly why is he in the final trilogy and who will be his love interest. Rey or Rose or Poe or some other new character. :D

sandydandy
September 18th, 2019, 01:34 PM
Regarding TLJ, I can’t really remember specifically why I hated it. I can barely remember it, and haven’t rewatched it even once. I can only summarize that it was mind-bogglingly stupid. No further explanation necessary. Kind of like the final season of GoT.

With that being said, I have almost zero interest or excitement about Episode IX. Star Wars is done for me.

Rare White Ape
September 18th, 2019, 02:07 PM
To be clear, I do blame the right wing idiots for mostly preventing constructive criticism of the movie because they once again think it had some kind of agenda and they try to yell louder than everyone else.

I was going to reply to your previous post with pretty much this sentiment, but then you said it yourself, so I don’t need to reply.

Except to reply saying that I don’t need to reply. Which is what this post is.

10/10 would reply again.

MR2 Fan
September 18th, 2019, 02:10 PM

Crazed_Insanity
September 18th, 2019, 03:19 PM
Yeah, that post was as convoluted and useless as TLJ, but at least it’s funnier. :D