PDA

View Full Version : RIP Dave Mirra

tigeraid
February 5th, 2016, 07:09 AM
:(

http://deadspin.com/bmx-legend-dave-mirra-dead-at-41-of-apparent-suicide-1757216822

At approximately 4pm today, Greenville Police responded to the 200 block of Pinewood Road for an apparent suicide.

Upon arrival, officers discovered Dave Mirra, 41, of Greenville, sitting in a truck with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. He had been visiting friends in the area a short time before the incident.

Considered an icon in the pro-BMX world, Mirra, was instrumental in bringing the sport to the City of Greenville, which now is home to more than 20 professional BMX riders. The record-holding athlete is survived by his wife and two children.

“We mourn the loss today of a great friend and wonderful human being who touched the lives of so many around the world with his gift. He called Greenville, North Carolina home and was as humble a guy talking with kids on a street corner about bikes as he was in his element on the world stage. A young life with so much to offer was taken too soon,” said City of Greenville Mayor, Allen Thomas.

The Greenville Police Department will be handling the death investigation.

The family of Dave Mirra would appreciate privacy during this very difficult time.

If you or a loved one are struggling with suicidal thoughts, you are encouraged to seek help through the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline by calling 1-800-273-TALK.

Maybe not a huge celebrity, but I grew up addicted to the X-Games. He was a solid rally driver too. This sucks. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjSWx36Wvqs

thesameguy
February 5th, 2016, 07:13 AM
Man, I wonder what was going on his life to push him to something like that?

Freude am Fahren
February 5th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Probably CTE from numerous concussions :(

thesameguy
February 5th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Didn't think about that - I can't decide whether that's better than something being genuinely wrong in his life or worse.

Godson
February 5th, 2016, 08:35 AM
Concussions are a hugely under looked issue. People think that it all gets better after a while, but the NFL has proven that to not at all be the case.

I feel sorrow for the family, and for his struggle he has been going through. 2016 sucks.

Phil_SS
February 5th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Probably CTE from numerous concussions :(

Yep. Hopefully he took his life so his brain can be examined. I've always wondered about people like Dave and Matt Hoffman etc. They became so good that when they wrecked trying to do a trick it was usually a big wreck. I know Matt has mentioned over 100 concussions in his life.

Hopefully they can begin to diagnose the disease while people are alive.

Very sad. RIP Dave.

Cam
February 5th, 2016, 09:27 AM
High-profile athletes often suffer from depression after their fame wanes.

Yw-slayer
February 8th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Sucks.