PDA

View Full Version : Bugatti Chiron - ~1500 hp, 261 mph

Kchrpm
February 29th, 2016, 08:48 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/29/bugatti-chiron-blasts-into-geneva-with-nearly-1-500-hp/

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/e10889570256f5628abaf9023a6268bc/203477694/Chiron%2B-%2BFront.JPG

Time will tell if Bugatti has rewritten the rulebook, like it did with the Veyron, but the Chiron's numbers are truly frightening. The 8.0-liter, quad-turbo W16 motor still sits behind the two-seat cabin, only now it thumps out – wait for it – 1,478 hp.

It's the most powerful production street car the world has ever seen.

If that's unimpressive, the W16 tortures its seven-speed dual-clutch transmission with 1,180 pound-feet of torque, too. That torque peaks at 2,000 rpm, and stays strong until full horsepower is delivered at 6,700 rpm.

---------------------

The Chiron runs up to a limited top speed of 261 miles per hour. With the Veyron already at the limits of longitudinal acceleration, Bugatti says only that the Chiron will crunch through to 62 mph in less than 2.5 seconds, though the 0-62-mph sprint is less relevant to hypercars than it used to be. Perhaps more frightening is that it will burst from 0-124 mph in less than 6.5 seconds. Or that it rips from 0-186 mph in 13.5 seconds, a full three seconds quicker than the original Veyron.

This new Bugatti still uses the aerodynamic tricks of having separate top-speed and handling modes, reaching out to 261 mph at the peak of its powers and 236 mph with the hydraulically raised rear wing set for maximum driving security.

thesameguy
February 29th, 2016, 09:05 AM
That is simply madness.

Godson
February 29th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Just like the Veyron, again....why?

FaultyMario
February 29th, 2016, 09:43 AM
Simply because there ARE now more millionaires in the world.

Kchrpm
February 29th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Exactly. That's the reason all of these ridiculous hypercars are being made.

Random
February 29th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Just like the Veyron, again....why?

The Sultan of Brunei hasn't bought a car in DAYS.

novicius
February 29th, 2016, 10:08 AM
:lol:

Love it. :up: #powerball

Freude am Fahren
February 29th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Looks better in other colors IMO.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--lQ7D2Q34--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/z6lqotc961w4adbryzen.jpg

Stylistically a much better Veyron, I think. If I had a billion plus, I'd pick one up.

novicius
February 29th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Bah, you only need $20 mil to live middle class for the rest of one's life and still be able to open the garage door to one of these. ;)

thesameguy
February 29th, 2016, 10:37 AM
You could do it with $5M and a couple years' patience.

novicius
February 29th, 2016, 10:57 AM
The car alone is $3 mil USD. It would eat you out of house and home at just $5 mil, I'd think.

CudaMan
February 29th, 2016, 11:29 AM
Much more beautiful than the Veyron. Two thumbs up from me! I spent a little time trying to figure out who the lead designer is, with no luck so far. Some really cool/bold/unique stuff going on there that is pulled off rather well.

I wonder why the headlight clusters aren't covered for aerodynamics. The recessed area seems like it'd create a lot of drag. I don't see an outlet for the air, if it is indeed a pass through or creative way to manage air flow.

Phil_SS
February 29th, 2016, 12:17 PM
I think it is gorgeous. :up: Way better looking than the Veyron.

If I had the money I would buy one.

Godson
February 29th, 2016, 12:38 PM
If I had the money, id buy a jet and get my pilots license

Freude am Fahren
February 29th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Bah, you only need $20 mil to live middle class for the rest of one's life and still be able to open the garage door to one of these. ;)

You could do it with $5M and a couple years' patience.

Well, I'd buy a hell of a lot of expensive stuff first before I got down to this. This would come behind the "Holy Trinity", Koenigsegg(s), Pagani(s), Classics. Probably 10th in line of the around $1M+ cars I'd buy.

Plus the houses, jets, etc. Who wants to live in the middle class the rest of their life? ;)

The car alone is $3 mil USD. It would eat you out of house and home at just $5 mil, I'd think.

^^This is true^^ Running costs on this thing are like buying a new BMW every year.

I wonder why the headlight clusters aren't covered for aerodynamics. The recessed area seems like it'd create a lot of drag. I don't see an outlet for the air, if it is indeed a pass through or creative way to manage air flow. I think it does indeed pass through that area. First videos coming out talk about two "zones" for aero, the main one below, and one through the headlights.

MR2 Fan
February 29th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Looks better in other colors IMO.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--lQ7D2Q34--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/z6lqotc961w4adbryzen.jpg

Stylistically a much better Veyron, I think. If I had a billion plus, I'd pick one up.

Definitely agreed. I could never get past the Veyron's looks...didn't care how fast it was, but this is much better looking

Alan P
February 29th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Much better than the Veyron. Beautiful car.

neanderthal
February 29th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Much better than the Veyron, but still ugly. No thanks.

The dream garage still has a Singer Porsche, AMG Hammer, 68 Coupe deVille, BMW E30 M3, Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins, BMW 2002 Alpina, Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV, stock diesel Gelandewagon, Airstream, Series I XJ6, and a couple of bikes.

I'll take the Macdaddy as my "dream car!" (McLaren F1) Gulf livery please.

Rare White Ape
February 29th, 2016, 09:30 PM
My favourite part is how it is limited to 420km/h.

Which means there's more in the bank.

And 420km/h is a third of the way to the sound barrier, so...

Yeah. Want now gimme gimme.

Yw-slayer
March 1st, 2016, 02:09 AM
Much better than the Veyron, but still ugly. No thanks.

I agree. I woiuldn't turn one down if it were given to me, but after a few drives I'm sure I'd put it up for sale.

Rare White Ape
March 1st, 2016, 02:05 PM
So, is this pronounced CHiron with a string 'ch' sound, as in 'chip'?

Or is it Key-ron, with a silent 'h', as in 'chlamydia'?

JoshInKC
March 1st, 2016, 03:12 PM
I'm guessing its actually KAI-ron, like the centaur who educated Achilles in Greek mythology.

CudaMan
March 1st, 2016, 05:03 PM
Isn't it named after the Monegasque racing driver Louis Chiron? Sounds like a French name to me. Therefore I'd say "Shee-ron" and maybe even forget the "n" because the French like to do things like that. :p

Freude am Fahren
March 1st, 2016, 05:45 PM
Like Cuda said. It's a French guy's name. Maybe not quite as much of a long e in shee, maybe more like sheh-ro(n).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmX0wMFxWzE

Skip to 5 min.

Rare White Ape
March 1st, 2016, 07:22 PM
Ah-ha!

Thank you gents.

Freude am Fahren
March 1st, 2016, 08:01 PM
Closer look at the headlights shows a clear cover, so air only passes on that inside area and maybe a bit below.

http://www.freudeamfoto.com/gtx/chironheadlights.jpg

neanderthal
March 1st, 2016, 11:39 PM
I agree. I woiuldn't turn one down if it were given to me, but after a few drives I'm sure I'd put it up for sale.

So would i. Even if I had fuck you money.

Yw-slayer
March 1st, 2016, 11:52 PM
Oh, if I had fuck-you money (relative to the price of the car) I'd probably keep it as a fuck-you car, even though the associated fuck-you Chiron lifestyle products and marketing are hilarious. I'd probably drive around wearing ragged shorts and a t-shirt or something. But then again, if I had fuck-you money, I might be even more of a dick than I currently am, so I guess I might be suckered into buying the fuck-you Chiron lifestyle shit.

LHutton
March 2nd, 2016, 03:46 AM
Pah, couldn't even make the 300 club.

The rear has stolen a bit of 918.

Neon blue with tan leather? Why do rich people have zero taste?

Or that it rips from 0-186 mph in 13.5 seconds, a full three seconds quicker than the original Veyron...
...which ironically claimed 0-186mph in 13s too.

Not a hybrid - cop out. I think the Regera wins out on ingenuity.

http://koenigsegg.com/regera/