PDA

View Full Version : Florence

GB
September 11th, 2018, 07:01 AM
Don't wait, folks. Take it from Florida Man: Pack up your photos and your dog, and GO. (Cam, this means YOU.)

http://www.brevardtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/f-12-735x400.png

dodint
September 11th, 2018, 07:28 AM
Here's a track for everyone:

https://apps.sfwmd.gov/sfwmd/common/images/weather/plots/storm_06_ens.gif

George
September 11th, 2018, 07:37 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180911/2d8332b445ee281411b0fa8f7af6decc.jpg

Cam
September 11th, 2018, 08:29 AM
Sharkurricane! :lol:

Columbia is far enough inland and our house is on a hill. Hurricanes quickly lose strength once they hit land. My wife is a climate scientist and she is not concerned about our stuff. We know people on the coast though. We plan on filling the bathtub with water soon, we just got groceries yesterday and we have a gas grill. My biggest concern is having a tree fall on the house.

I am pretty sure it will not be as bad as the storm of Oct. '14 (the 1,000 year flood event) that nearly washed Columbia off the map.

Crazed_Insanity
September 11th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Just don't get hit by a shark! :p

Jason
September 11th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Hm, while I'm thankful we're seemingly out of the direct path, it seems to be making a loop around, which depending on the birth of the storm, could mean lots of water. This will be fun...

drew
September 11th, 2018, 03:32 PM
It was one year ago today that Irma brushed us.

Fuck hurricanes.

GB
September 11th, 2018, 05:15 PM
Columbia is far enough inland and our house is on a hill. Hurricanes quickly lose strength once they hit land. My wife is a climate scientist and she is not concerned
I understand that she is a respected scientist, but in my opinion, that is a bit nonchalant. Hurricanes DO certainly lose energy over land, but not as quickly as one would hope. This thing is larger than the entire state of South Carolina. You are correct that it is not going to wipe your home off it's foundation. But I think you're in for a nastier time than you are expecting. I hope I'm wrong. The latest track is creeping a bit further north, which is good for you. It puts you in the southwest quadrant, the weakest section.

But I'm just a dude on an internet forum. What do I know?

The359
September 11th, 2018, 05:40 PM
As has been the case all summer, Pennsylvania is going to get soaked.

Cam
September 11th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Perhaps I may have come off as flippant. It was not my intention. I believe we understand the gravitas of the situation. Lori and I lived in Halifax when Hurricane Juan hit in 2003. It was only a category 2 when it it and there was tons of devastation along the coast. Thankfully, Nova Scotia is made of granite, not sand like the Southeastern US. We've weathered a few hurricanes already in SC and we've only been here five years, plus the 1,000-year storm that caused the 2014 flooding here. We are preparing; food, gas for the grill, fill the bathtub with water. I am a bit nervous, of course. There are loads of big trees around us. Let me assure you we do not have to be concerned about flooding or storm surge. Of course we are watching the latest models very carefully.

I really appreciate the concern, my friends. I will keep you updated if I can.

dodint
September 11th, 2018, 05:50 PM
As has been the case all summer, Pennsylvania is going to get soaked.

Yeah. The complaint probably looks petty in comparison to what they're about to get in NC (qualification: landfall is occurring in the county I was born and spent half my life in) but Pennsylvania has been absolute shit this summer. A microcosm of that is we got the remnants of TD Gordon and it rained continuously from Friday night till mid day today. What was supposed to be a nice day tomorrow is now, haha, more rain in the morning. It's my last track day of the year and I made the mistake of looking at the forecast and thinking it was worth a damn. It's not.

And now, Florence will be here at the end of the weekend, to boot. I moved away from PA for a reason and I'm starting to get the itch again.

Cam
September 12th, 2018, 03:20 AM
I will be sharpening my chainsaw today. Just watched a latest forecast and it's looking like it may turn a bit south toward SC. Well, at least we're insured. :eek:

sandydandy
September 12th, 2018, 04:08 AM
Be safe, Cam. Good luck!

Jason
September 12th, 2018, 05:24 AM
While I'm sorry it's turning your way, Cam... I'm super glad it's turned south, I didn't need a hurricane right now :|

21Kid
September 12th, 2018, 07:07 AM
Hm, while I'm thankful we're seemingly out of the direct path, it seems to be making a loop around, which depending on the birth of the storm, could mean lots of water. This will be fun...

While I'm sorry it's turning your way, Cam... I'm super glad it's turned south, I didn't need a hurricane right now :|

How's your roof?

dodint
September 12th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Given a particularly intense wind ridge the NE quadrant of the storm is generating 83ft waves. That's astounding.

Cam
September 12th, 2018, 07:11 AM
Are you talking to me? Secure for now, but that don't mean shit when the winds are 100+ mph. As I said, there are a few very large trees within striking distance of our house. That's the only thing I'm really worried about.

Jason
September 12th, 2018, 09:45 AM
How's your roof?

Not good, which is why I want it no where near me. Moving into a new place next weekend, thankfully.

Godson
September 12th, 2018, 11:44 AM
Yeah. The complaint probably looks petty in comparison to what they're about to get in NC (qualification: landfall is occurring in the county I was born and spent half my life in) but Pennsylvania has been absolute shit this summer. A microcosm of that is we got the remnants of TD Gordon and it rained continuously from Friday night till mid day today. What was supposed to be a nice day tomorrow is now, haha, more rain in the morning. It's my last track day of the year and I made the mistake of looking at the forecast and thinking it was worth a damn. It's not.

And now, Florence will be here at the end of the weekend, to boot. I moved away from PA for a reason and I'm starting to get the itch again.

Kansas City doesn't get hurricanes...

drew
September 12th, 2018, 01:25 PM
Kansas City doesn't get hurricanes...

Give it time....

We've officially gone into Hurricane/Disaster mode at work. Got my FEMA and Homeland Security pass, which is cool to say, but doesn't actually mean shit for me. Since I just go into the office like any other day.

Hopefully Florence fucks off, but it's looking like we may get a small piece of it.

Worst part is, our market's northern edge is Myrtle Beach, and the latest model shows it essentially going right through Savannah. Which would be about 60% of our overall market.

Cell towers and hurricanes are a battle for the ages. #IrmaWasFun #FML

Cam
September 13th, 2018, 03:59 AM
Storm has slowed to Cat. 2. Looks like it will hit North Carolina. Whew. We will still get loads of rain and wind.

MR2 Fan
September 13th, 2018, 02:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dm_tmspWwAAjTs4.jpg

Cam
September 13th, 2018, 05:27 PM
:lol:

G'day Mate
September 13th, 2018, 05:57 PM
:lol:

2ndMoparMan
September 13th, 2018, 07:10 PM
Great time to catch those water types, right? Maybe even some flying types as well.

Cam
September 14th, 2018, 02:28 AM
Florence seems to be stalled on the coast of NC. Lucky for us, bad for NC.

dodint
September 14th, 2018, 07:05 AM
A lot of backlash for the folks that decided to 'ride it out' in New Bern, NC and then requested rescue. Good. A look at a map of the rescues reveals that it wasn't a socioeconomic choice; stupid people of all classes decided to stay. The house we owned in NBNC somehow wasn't in a flood plain but there is no chance we would have stayed.

drew
September 15th, 2018, 04:55 AM
People are fucking stupid. I applaud Darwin.

Godson
September 15th, 2018, 07:20 AM
People are fucking stupid. I applaud nature.

Ftfy

Cam
September 15th, 2018, 08:46 AM
Storm lost a lot of strength over NC, thankfully. We have been mostly unaffected so far.

Mirage
September 15th, 2018, 06:08 PM
Nothing up here so far but wind. I expect I am going to be picking a lot of limbs up this week, just hoping I don't lose any of the big trees.

Phil_SS
September 17th, 2018, 06:00 AM
So how is everybody doin?

Cam
September 17th, 2018, 06:32 AM
Mostly unaffected here. We were lucky. NC is pretty much under water.