PDA

View Full Version : 2018

Rare White Ape
December 31st, 2018, 02:46 AM
I agonised about a favourite game of the year for me but this year I can’t pin it on any particular title. I find this remarkable, but then again last year was an absolute belter filled with Marios and Zeldas. This makes a follow-up very difficult.

Another thing that complicated things is that I started 2018 on January 1st by playing 2017’s GOTY NieR:Automata and that has kinda overshadowed everything else that was slotted into any disc drive for the remaining 11 months. It made me laugh. It made me cry. I played it just as I was experiencing a profound personal loss and it amplified things to an excruciating level.

So anyhoo, this year’s best game is Tetris Effect. I love it like a child loves MDMA.

And the rest in no particular order:

Smash
Dad of Boy
Celeste
Dark Souls
Forza Horizon 4
Gorogoa
Dead Cells
Yakuza 6 (I’ve not yet opened the thing, but I bought it because it came with whiskey glasses and reusable ice rocks yeah boi)
Pokemon Let’s Go
Ride 3
Tetris Effect
Puyo-Puyo Tetris
Tetris Ultimate
Tetris X Dr Mario
NES Tetris
Classic Tetris World Championships on YouTube
Tetris Tetris Tetris

dodint
December 31st, 2018, 04:50 AM
Red Dead Redemption 2

Cam
December 31st, 2018, 05:27 AM
I'm not sure I played any games that were released this year. :lol:

Rare White Ape
December 31st, 2018, 06:45 AM
I forgot: Rez Infinte

And

Lumines

Neither of which are Tetris

But close enough

Rare White Ape
December 31st, 2018, 06:48 AM
Red Dead Redemption 2

Dang. That’s where a whole month of my life went.

Add it to the list.

dodint
December 31st, 2018, 06:52 AM
I'm a year late (it was released in mid-2017) but I picked up Micro Machines World Series for cheap in the PS store the other day and I'm really hoping it's half as fun as the MM game I had for NES. It's Codemasters so it should be decent.

Kchrpm
December 31st, 2018, 07:54 AM
My favorite game of 2018?

Overwatch.

Jason
December 31st, 2018, 11:45 AM
Spider-Man is my 2018 winner, but only because Xenoblade Chronicles came out in December of 2017. I spent hundreds of hours on XC2 in 2018 :up:

That being said, Spider-Man is an absolutely fantastic game. The story is rock solid, the cut scenes are straight out of movies, the gameplay is fluid and enjoyable, and the open world is beautifully rendered.

drew
December 31st, 2018, 02:41 PM
I pretty much only fucked around with three games this year: Assassin's Creed Origins, and Odyssey, and RDR2 (which I'm plodding along at a no-rush pace).

Speaking of RDR2:

Is it me or do the horses need more binding agent? They're shitting all the time.

TheBenior
December 31st, 2018, 02:56 PM
I usually only play 1-2 games in the year that they were released.

This year's were Far Cry 5 (largely because the wife wanted it, so I pre-ordered it), and I started RDR2, which will probably take me months to get through.

drew
December 31st, 2018, 03:10 PM
Shit, I forgot FC5.

...and FC3, FC4....

I started the year still pissing around with FO4.

Still:

GreatScawt
December 31st, 2018, 08:50 PM
I pretty much only fucked around with three games this year: Assassin's Creed Origins, and Odyssey

I want to get one of these for Xbox. Any recommendation which to get? I was thinking of starting with Origins because it came out first and I know it has the novel "tour" mode to view the landmarks and histories.

My games of the year. Not necessarily released this year...
- Forza Horizon 4. Really appreciate the social elements they added. Game world felt so much more alive than previous Horizons.

- Gorogoa. Good call, RWA. Quickie but beautiful and thought provoking.

- Nier Automata. Did not beat yet (I know), but the story thus far and the soundtrack are top notch.

- Ni No Kuni II. Again, didn't beat yet, but has a ton of engaging systems and beautiful art. Cheesy, but solid story.

- Talos Principle. Recency bias, but it blew me away once I finally got over the hump of one puzzle and pushed through the rest of the game. One of the best puzzle games I've played.

- BlOps4 / PUBG / BFV / Wildlands. Lumping them together. Great shooters that I've had plenty of fun playing with friends. Some great BR gameplay with the first two. Hoping BFV creates a solid spin on the genre.

Tom Servo
December 31st, 2018, 09:41 PM
I really just played Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 4. Oddly, I'm finding it significantly more painful to fire up my consoles than my PC, so as much as I like Tetris Effect, it's not a "pick up and go" game, especially since the PS4 doesn't really play nice with the Harmony remote.

drew
January 1st, 2019, 06:28 AM
You really can't go wrong with either ACO. But I would go with Origins first, since Odyssey is somewhat of an "extension" (more a different chapter) of Origins.

Odyssey implemented some new mechanics, that are good, bu take a bit of an adjustment after playing Origins for 100s of hours.

Rare White Ape
January 1st, 2019, 11:36 AM
I’d start with Origins, purely for the logical reason that it’s available for 1/4 the price of Odyssey. By the time you beat it the second game will be cheaper too.

drew
January 1st, 2019, 03:02 PM
That too.

TheBenior
January 1st, 2019, 09:58 PM
I picked up AC:Origins on Black Friday. I still have AC:Black Flag and AC:Unity (which I hear is pretty good after they patched it and I think cost me all of $10) sitting around unplayed.

GreatScawt
January 2nd, 2019, 12:13 PM
Thanks dudes :up: Picked up Origins for $24
(Sorry for the derail)

Rare White Ape
January 2nd, 2019, 01:54 PM
All G bruz

The cost of DLC and MTX will be cheaper as well, if they’re your thing.

balki
January 6th, 2019, 07:31 AM
Further derailment: AC:Unity is 49¢ (less than a Snickers bar)
https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/games/assassin-s-creed-unity-xbox-one

speedpimp
January 6th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Al, are you sure that site is legit?

balki
January 7th, 2019, 04:02 AM
Not 100% sure, but I know people that have used it without an issue, and specifically for AC:U
Note that it's for Unity, not Odyssey

Rare White Ape
December 30th, 2019, 12:51 PM
2019!

Making this up as I go:

Best game this year for me was Ace Combat 7. It’s so innocent and pure, full of love for the medium of video games, awesome action, music, 100% cheesy storyline littered across many pre-rendered cutscenes replete with matching dialogue in the style that only Japanese artisans know how. The structure of each mission would always throw surprises at you, requiring the radio chatter to actually be relevant to what’s going on around you. The busy HUD and audio queues really do teleport you out of your seat and into the game. Add in the shameless romanticism for fighter jets and VR and you’ll find my favourite game of 2019.

The rest in no particular order follow below.

Link’s Awakening - cute remake of a classic

Assetto Corsa Competitzione - divisive balls-to-the-wall sim that keeps getting better with every update

Jedi: Fallen Order - finally a very good Star Wars game for neeeeeerds to sink their teeth into

Astral Chain - fantastic concept and fantastic execution for a new take on action games

Dirt Rally 2.0 - improves on its predecessor by a wide margin but is hampered by an excessive season pass DLC regime

Sekiro - I only played this for two weeks, making progress a little bit at a time, before getting sick of hitting my head against this game’s many walls. Fun traversal though

Halo: Reach - makes you love mid-2000’s Xbox Live again, and on PC to boot!

Anthem - haaa no just kidding