PDA

View Full Version : Suggest A Shared Sportscar!

Kchrpm
October 20th, 2019, 06:52 PM
What two companies do you think should partner up on the next low volume or low profit sports car? Who should be responsible for what part of the vehicle? What should differentiate the manufacturers' versions?

Yw-slayer
October 20th, 2019, 10:28 PM
Toyota x Subaru HiAce Paris-Dakar Edition.

Rare White Ape
October 20th, 2019, 11:27 PM
Lotus and Suzuki.

Light weight 500kg 2-seat MR thing made from recycled aluminium (for the chassis) and plastic (for the body) soft drink containers, like a KTM X-Bow but smaller.

The engine will be a V8 based on the rumoured new Hayabusa; two inline-4 top ends with a bespoke block and a shared crank, at no more than 2800cc, pushing about 350HP.

Maybe and electric drive system as well? It might be too heavy, as batteries and motor could make up 20% of the car's total mass while taking up a lot of space.

Lotus version: Roof and stereo optional. It will have carpet in the foot wells.

Suzuki version: Leather seats and wind-up windows.

Yw-slayer
October 21st, 2019, 12:34 AM
Actually that's a damn cool idea.

Rare White Ape
October 21st, 2019, 03:51 AM
You know it.

Now gimme a salary and a desk in a corner office and I'll design anything for you.

Kchrpm
October 21st, 2019, 04:21 AM
After seeing a Tesla Model 3 going HAM at the SCCA Time Trials Nationals event at the Corvette museum, I want to see an electric sports coupe, but I don't know who I want the partners to be.

Phil_SS
October 21st, 2019, 05:38 AM
Tesla + TVR. Seems pretty obvious, Tesla does the drive train and TVR does the Body design.

The TVR version has a gated six speed transmission. :D

dodint
October 21st, 2019, 05:45 AM
I clicked this thread thinking it was going to be a group-buy situation. :(

Jason
October 21st, 2019, 05:45 AM
TVR and Hennessy - let’s get suicidal

Jason
October 21st, 2019, 05:46 AM
I clicked this thread thinking it was going to be a group-buy situation. :(

Same, I was kinda excited to throw in 20 bucks to the pool, and never get to drive it :lol:

George
October 21st, 2019, 07:48 AM
Toyota x Subaru HiAce Paris-Dakar Edition.

+1

Kchrpm
October 21st, 2019, 08:04 AM
Same, I was kinda excited to throw in 20 bucks to the pool, and never get to drive it :lol:

There are currently 55 active members at the forum. Go find us a car to share for $1100 :up:

Kchrpm
October 21st, 2019, 08:05 AM
Tesla + TVR. Seems pretty obvious, Tesla does the drive train and TVR does the Body design.

The TVR version has a gated six speed transmission. :D

Only if the gates are not in order, and also not labeled. #dangerismymiddlename

MR2 Fan
October 21st, 2019, 12:14 PM
A shared GTX Forums LEMONS car would be great.

oh, the actual topic, um....I dunno

Godson
October 21st, 2019, 04:57 PM
I can support a Tesla and TVR pair.

Tesla is boring as hell. TVR is too exciting to even make something that works. Looks like a solid pairing.

However, neither can build an interior worth a shit...

Rare White Ape
October 21st, 2019, 06:41 PM
What about Daihatsu and Harley-Davidson?

Daihatsu builds a sleek chassis with space in the rear for the H-D Livewire power train. All electric.

Wait, make that two Livewire motors, both in the boot.

The chassis is built around a rigid backbone that contains the batteries, and everything attaches right to that, including the featherweight body structure.

It looks like an Autobacs Garaiya, but a foot shorter and a foot narrower. No, there will not be a Harley version.

JoshInKC
October 21st, 2019, 06:47 PM
TVR is too exciting to even make something that works.

That's perfect.

Yw-slayer
October 21st, 2019, 07:47 PM
Interiors are overrated because RACECAR

Crazed_Insanity
October 23rd, 2019, 10:15 AM
There are currently 55 active members at the forum. Go find us a car to share for $1100 :up:

If we all pony up that much we could probably buy the new Corvette!

Anyway, my dream match up isn't anything fancy, I'd like a new sports convertible from Mazda/Honda. Of course Honda focuses on power train and Mazda everything else. Basically I just want a bigger, lighter, better new and improved S2000 offered at the same affordable price. Current Miata is just too small and weak.

Alan P
October 23rd, 2019, 12:08 PM
Do I have to pay for shipping to Scotland myself? And who pays for shipping back?

CudaMan
October 23rd, 2019, 08:25 PM
FWIW Billi I was involved in a test of an autox prepped S2k (2004) and ND1 (2016?) last weekend. The S2k accelerated harder in VTEC, but below VTEC the MX-5 was faster to accelerate. The weight difference meant the MX-5 was also quicker to transition. They're not slow. :) On the same size wheels/tires (245s on 9s) the ND was noticeably faster on this course. The S2k needed wider wheels and tires to compete.

I'd still take the S2k though. Jumping back and forth between the two, it was very apparent how little weight and feel the MX-5 driving controls had.

A new S2000 would sure be nice, especially if kept NA and light weight.

Crazed_Insanity
October 23rd, 2019, 10:12 PM
Interesting..., but look at the age difference! 2004 vs 2016!!!!! A comparable year MX-5 shouldn't be faster, right?

Yeah, I want a higher revving NA engine(Honda) along with a nice looking lightweight sky is the limit active technology chassis...

With such a car, you don't have to jump back and forth between 2 cars! :p

TheBenior
October 23rd, 2019, 10:19 PM
A new S2000 would sure be nice, especially if kept NA and light weight.

The only way I see that happening is with some sort of platform sharing arrangement like the Supra/Z4.

Maybe they can partner with Mazda when it comes time for an NE Miata ;)

Leon
October 24th, 2019, 01:04 AM
Hmmmm, I'd want something like Honda NSX styling, and with some sort of non-exotic V6 engine, maybe from Honda.

Oh wait, I'm doing it wrong. I just want an NSX.

neanderthal
November 18th, 2019, 08:09 AM
Hmmmm, I'd want something like Honda NSX styling, and with some sort of non-exotic V6 engine, maybe from Honda.

Oh wait, I'm doing it wrong. I just want an NSX.

Now we are talking.

The original NSX, with the current NSX drivetrain. Or the Nissan GTR engine.
Mazda FD RX-7 with aluminum LS-X engine. (https://motoiq.com/category/projects/mazda/v8-rx7-3rd-gen/) (Even better increase it's size by 1.1: it's a little car. Make it a hair bigger for my middle aged fatass)

I'm a sucker for late 80s to mid aughties auto styling. (Mercedes W124, W201, R129, BMW E34, E38, E39, E46, E31 8 series, Nissan R32 ZX, R34 GTR Skyline, Honda NSX, S2000, Toyota MKIV Supra, Mark II/ Cressida X80, Audi A4 B5 and B6 (early 2000s) wagons, late versions of Porsche 993, 2nd and 5th gen Dodge Vipers, etc)

shakes
November 18th, 2019, 10:25 AM
I'd like to see a cheaper NSX but badged as a Honda. Honda needs a halo car and Acura as a brand is pretty irrelevant now. Give it the turbo motor out of the Civic Type R and drop the heavy and expensive hybrid AWD drivetrain. Might need the boost turned up depending on the power to weight ratio, but 300hp in something that weighs less than 3000 pounds might still be fun. As I'm typing this it sounds like something that might have already been suggested...lol