View Full Version : F1 2021

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

JoeW
April 21st, 2021, 11:32 AM
Well only one tire brand. All we need to see is a colored stripe for the compound.

Crazed_Insanity
April 21st, 2021, 11:40 AM
I know. Just messing around! :p

JoeW
April 21st, 2021, 12:20 PM
Oh you silly trickster!

Crazed_Insanity
April 21st, 2021, 03:14 PM
But seriously, will they end up with bigger brakes? These cars already have so much braking power...

Also the proposed rim size change... is it due to engineering reasons or just purely aesthetics?

Rare White Ape
April 21st, 2021, 04:50 PM
They will get bigger brakes. But that is not about braking power, as any braking device can lock up almost any tyre on any car you can think of. It is about heat dissipation.

And I am not sure about the rim size change, but it has been in the wings for over a decade now. I have heard talk about aesthetics, tyre technology being closer to road cars, because other series such as sportscars and IndyCars have larger wheels, you name it.

balki
April 22nd, 2021, 06:36 AM
Is the change for performance or marketing/aesthetics/R&D?
Always thought low profile tires just added and and harshness in exchange for looks. Will the reduced sidewall flex be enough to makeup for the extra unsprung rotating mass? Guessing the suspension will be beefed up too as it'll be doing nearly twice the work.

FaultyMario
April 22nd, 2021, 08:20 AM
Marketing, basically.

Tire manufacturers spend a lot of money without the chance to advertise their high-margin LOW PROFILE!!1! tires. No twenties is one of the reasons why Michelin has stayed away from GP cars and concentrated on providing for sports and rally cars.

Crazed_Insanity
April 22nd, 2021, 09:18 AM
That's a pretty lame reason.

Now that I remembered years back reading about larger rim size actually slowed a car's acceleration...

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/how-does-wheel-size-affect-performance/

However, if we look at lap times, it's harder to tell...

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/The-differences-between-17-18-and-19-inch-tyres.htm

Objective data suggests larger rims are faster when dry, but performance order would reverse when wet. If this trend holds for F1 cars, we can expect lap times to go down... however, when it rains, expect more cars to fly off track! :D

Rare White Ape
April 22nd, 2021, 06:33 PM
I see rumours swirling and saying that HAAS is going to sell out to the Mazepins and make a (possibly quite profitable) departure from F1.

JoeW
April 22nd, 2021, 07:32 PM
It’s probably for the best. I don’t think Gene knew what he was getting into when he entered F1. He hasn’t looked happy in any interview I have seen. It’s like he’s been wondering how the fuck can I get out of this shit show...well now we know :)

Crazed_Insanity
April 22nd, 2021, 09:12 PM
Haas probably just felt lost without Grojean I guess...

If another dumbass wants to help Haas be profitable, why not?

Anyway, what a wasted opportunity. Nothing from America seemed to be able to catch a break in F1.

FaultyMario
April 23rd, 2021, 06:14 AM
if i were him, I'd hold until the buildup to the Miami race.

Crazed_Insanity
April 23rd, 2021, 07:19 AM
If you're really set on a divorce, what'd be the point of waiting til the kids graduate and get out of the house 1st? Just get it over with already.

Haas was originally Marussia, right? I guess it's only right to return the team back to Russia?

Haas also bet incorrectly on Ferrari I guess. Ferrari got caught cheating also did not help anything...

I wish Gene Haas at least could hire more American drivers or something.

All these years... what a wasted opportunity. Not to mention the amount of money he wasted.

I wonder if he really got in this just to make money? I thought he had bigger plans. He really needs to learn from Minardi, Sauber and Williams regarding how to race from back of the pack...

Well, if Russians are making them an offer he simply couldn't refuse, why not?

FaultyMario
April 23rd, 2021, 07:33 AM
Haas is a new team entry, Steiner bought from the British administrators a number of capital goods that were forfeited by Manor/Marussia.

As to why no to the Russians, i exactly don't know, but with F1 being basically an extension of Britain's automotive, aerospace and chemical sectors, they tend to do business among them and their partners. I suppose competition with Russian petrochemicals is more hostile, and thus why in the past, they've been reticent to allow them into their club.

FaultyMario
April 23rd, 2021, 07:36 AM
Oh, and try to stop explaining F1 with personal metaphors.

If Bernie's tenure showed us anything is that F1 investors are cutthroat mofos who are guided by greed and nothing else.

Crazed_Insanity
April 23rd, 2021, 10:04 AM
Yeah, that's true. Anyway, wasn't trying to get too personal, just felt like Haas' heart wasn't really in F-1 anymore...

For a while I thought Haas was in it for the long haul. Longterm commitments with Ferrari and its drivers..., but apparently things just fell apart somehow?

Signing on 2 rookies is a clear sign that they just want to grab whatever money they can for now...

Also, for a successful billionaire, do you really need to continue doing businesses with those Russians and Rich Energy Drinks? You don't have any shady American friends to partner with to try to make america great again in F-1?

Rare White Ape
April 26th, 2021, 03:25 PM
F1 sprint race qualifying format agreed upon and confirmed. To be held at three TBA races this year, and you can bet your dick that Monza will be one of them.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-sprint-qualifying-to-debut-at-three-grands-prix-in-2021-following.1v9LRuPpTk9JXpmE5xK4sK.html

JoeW
April 26th, 2021, 06:05 PM
Sprint race qualifying is happening this season for a few races. Should be interesting.

Yeah.

Crazed_Insanity
April 26th, 2021, 08:59 PM
Are you talkin’ to... yourself?

Rare White Ape
April 27th, 2021, 04:14 AM
Looks like he is.

Crazed_Insanity
April 27th, 2021, 10:12 AM
I do that all the time. Standing in front of the mirror pretending to be Robert DeNiro... "Are you talkin to me, Billi?"

"Yeah!"

Anyway, back to F-1...

It appears Honda management is more willing to go out with a bang? If it weren't for their decision to leave next year, they would not have authorized funding to update the engine so quickly...

What are they thinking? Why do they enter F-1 in the 1st place? Not willing to push hard when in this relationship, but when you call it quits, then you're willing to push hard?

Hope Honda could win this year? Beating out their former ghost team? If tradition holds, RB will probably win championship next year after Honda's gone.

It'd be funny if Honda end up building 2 championship winning teams in F-1 and have nothing to show for in the end.

Stupid bean counting management.

JoeW
April 27th, 2021, 01:48 PM
Check these out. Alesi taking the 312 Ferrari around Monaco. Both are different views of the same lap. One is a 360 cam mounted above/behind the rear wing and the other is mounted above/behind the drivers head.

https://youtu.be/KKvffEJFgXU

https://youtu.be/BT55piRwB3w

Yobbo NZ
April 27th, 2021, 03:52 PM
You forget how sparse the cockpit used to be and how busy they are in there, it'd be great to watch a full on attacking lap. Nowadays, it looks so easy to drive, but yet so complex with all the dials and buttons they have to play with.

Crazed_Insanity
April 27th, 2021, 06:47 PM
I got into F1 during the late 80s, for whatever reasons I’m just not that impressed with cars older than 80’s era.

It’s like watching the original Star Trek now... just looks so dated! Plus, aren’t they dangerous? Those care probably belong in museums or just be paraded around rather than pushed hard... especially in Monaco?

Anyway, maybe I’m just getting too old..., playing things too safe now...

JoeW
April 27th, 2021, 07:19 PM
Ummm...wtf is wrong with you? :)

Crazed_Insanity
April 27th, 2021, 10:04 PM
Just look at them tiny wheels!

No way to fit 18” rims on those cars! :p

I like the sound it makes, that’s about it.

Blerpa
April 28th, 2021, 09:40 AM
F1 will not race in Canada in 2021: 14 days mandatory quarantine for foreign visitors is not feasible for F1.
So the 13th of June F1 will race in Turkey, instead.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/canadian-gp-cancelled-turkish-gp/6494667/

"Obviously" F1 cars from the 70s are my favourite ever - in contrast to Billi's opinion (LOL).
And those tiny wheels are wonderful.
Those were cars, not the longboats we have nowadays (but really, since the end of the nineties).

JoeW
April 28th, 2021, 10:06 AM
That was the last era of classical driving. No electronics to speak of, clutch pedal, gear shifter, very little downforce, no power steering/brakes, a shit ton of power and no grip. That was serious driving.

Crazed_Insanity
April 28th, 2021, 11:56 AM
Yes, they are definitely classics I’ll give you that.

But I got into F1 because of its tech, not for nostalgic reasons.

At least F1 cars in the 80s are still ‘classical’ enough and probably could still come reasonably close to modern day F1 cars when it comes to performance...

I guess it was a quantum leap made during the 80s due to introduction of composite material? All the improvements made since were all incremental...

samoht
April 28th, 2021, 12:27 PM
I have to say, it was playing Grand Prix Legends that got me into the older F1 cars, before that I was probably more in Billi's camp.

Now I'm fully on board with the idea that 1967 was 'peak F1', with three-litre engines of a variety of configurations, and lightweight pre-aero cars on crossply tyres, slid around true road courses by heroic drivers. But it was the way the game immersed me into that world, and confronted me with the intense throttle-sensitivity of the cars, that converted me.

Improvements have been from all areas, not solely composites. I think aerodynamic downforce was the biggest single factor in changing the nature of F1, leading to significantly increased cornering speeds as well as changing the interaction between following cars. After that maybe tyres, then the escalation in engine power from 400hp at the start of the three litre formula to 1000hp today.

Kchrpm
April 28th, 2021, 12:39 PM
I think that mid to late 90s IndyCars are better than every F1 car ever, and think most modern F1 cars look a bit silly. The old ones look, well, old, and recognize that they are very often death traps, so I don't think of them too fondly.

Crazed_Insanity
April 28th, 2021, 02:44 PM
I have to say, it was playing Grand Prix Legends that got me into the older F1 cars, before that I was probably more in Billi's camp.

Now I'm fully on board with the idea that 1967 was 'peak F1', with three-litre engines of a variety of configurations, and lightweight pre-aero cars on crossply tyres, slid around true road courses by heroic drivers. But it was the way the game immersed me into that world, and confronted me with the intense throttle-sensitivity of the cars, that converted me.

Improvements have been from all areas, not solely composites. I think aerodynamic downforce was the biggest single factor in changing the nature of F1, leading to significantly increased cornering speeds as well as changing the interaction between following cars. After that maybe tyres, then the escalation in engine power from 400hp at the start of the three litre formula to 1000hp today.

Interesting, will have to find the opportunity to play me some GP Legends then... Maybe I'll be converted.

For now I think I'm in pretty good agreement with Kchrpm. I really liked the 90's indycars too. I began to like them more than F-1 during that similar period as F-1 cars began to look weird and ugly... and the IRL totally screwed it over...

Anyway, yeah, I mostly dislike the older racing cars precisely because they are freaking death traps! If you don't get killed instantly, you get burned to death... and if you don't die, you end up looking like Niki Lauda. The dude was already ugly enough without getting burned like that! :p

Rare White Ape
April 28th, 2021, 06:34 PM
I would challenge all of your assertions.

But I also love IndyCars too.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4b/25/9f/4b259f4e18ec23af8b04844bf54df7ba.jpg

Crazed_Insanity
April 28th, 2021, 08:27 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4b/25/9f/4b259f4e18ec23af8b04844bf54df7ba.jpg

I love/hate that car! Even after decades, it’s still a good looking car!

I loved it when Mansell was driving it.

I got bored with it when Prost got hold of it. Shown in pic.

I hated it when it killed my most beloved driver... :(

Frank Williams was crazy to keep on swapping drivers by firing or killing defending champs like that...

But I suppose things were way more interesting with such shuffles. Kinda wish Ferrari and Mercedes had done likewise.

Rare White Ape
April 28th, 2021, 08:38 PM
That's Damon Hill in the car.

Crazed_Insanity
April 28th, 2021, 10:32 PM
Oh yeah, forgot the #2 driver got the number 0 and the #1 driver got the number 2... :D

JoeW
April 29th, 2021, 02:10 AM
This is the kind of driving I like to see...3714

Rare White Ape
April 29th, 2021, 03:40 AM
Slip angle <3

Freude am Fahren
April 29th, 2021, 05:59 AM
USGP tickets on sale. Got mine in turn 19. I think that may be a new set of grandstands? I don't remember them being there last time. I think it used to be hospitality.

Crazed_Insanity
April 29th, 2021, 09:37 AM
This is the kind of driving I like to see...3714

I don’t really mind that kind of driving or any kind of driving as long as it’s the kind that win you races.

However, those cars just look wrong, don’t you agree? Tiny front wheels and jumbo rears? Are they racing dragsters or something?

I suppose it’s cool that they were just experimenting around that’s why f1 cars have changed so much during the old days... or perhaps they just had more relaxed rules? Anyways...

But I think that engineering sweet spot has probably been hit right around the 80s, that’s why f-1 cars really haven’t changed it’s overall shape all that much since then...

Until the next revolutionary tech comes around...

FaultyMario
April 29th, 2021, 09:39 AM
Those were cars, not the longboats we have nowadays (but really, since the end of the nineties).

Disagree. Were it not for the grooved, narrow tires... early 00s cars would be perfect.

JoeW
April 29th, 2021, 10:46 AM
I merely posted a photo of some cool sideways driving. I wasn’t referencing the exact cars, just a style of driving we don’t really see any longer.

Rare White Ape
April 29th, 2021, 12:54 PM
Fun fact: it still happens, but due to aerodynamics and increased speeds the angle is so small that it’s almost imperceptible, and drivers need surgical precision to pull it off lap after lap.

Those shark fins on the back of the cars are designed to keep the cars pointing straight if they get a bit loose because the wings (or these days the whole body of the car) won’t generate downforce if they’re travelling perpendicular to the airflow, and a sudden loss of downforce on a high speed corner is catastrophic. But they’re tuned to be just long enough to still allow for some rotation, which increases cornering speed.

JoeW
April 29th, 2021, 01:22 PM
Yep...but it was way more pronounced and fun to watch back then.

Crazed_Insanity
April 30th, 2021, 02:21 PM
Heard Porsche might partner with RB next year?

Another German manufacturer picking up where Honda left off?

F1 is getting exciting! Not quite wheel to wheel sliding tail exciting, but exciting nonetheless!

FaultyMario
April 30th, 2021, 06:58 PM
Heard Porsche might partner with RB next year?

Where did you hear that?

The latest news on the engine front was the signing of ex-Mercedes wizard Ben Hodgkinson by Red Bull Powertrains.

FaultyMario
April 30th, 2021, 07:02 PM
What's up with Haas? I know they look bad, but free? I think they can score points by luck, should they be 0.5 each?

I think Mazespin is a bargain at 0. Whoever picked him should have gotten 5 points deducted from her budget.

Dear god, that kid is such a waste.

Yobbo NZ
April 30th, 2021, 07:07 PM
From what I saw of Illot in P1, he would have been the better choice. But money talks.

Rare White Ape
April 30th, 2021, 08:19 PM
Where did you hear that?

The latest news on the engine front was the signing of ex-Mercedes wizard Ben Hodgkinson by Red Bull Powertrains.

It’s baseless rumour right now.

Crazed_Insanity
April 30th, 2021, 08:29 PM
Where did you hear that?

Rumor: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/04/porsche-rumored-to-be-entering-f1-with-red-bull-racing/?amp=1

I guess probably not next year... VW group is considering... who knows how long that’ll take...

JoeW
May 1st, 2021, 05:48 PM
I gotta say I love tracks like Portimao with elevation changes. So cool to drive there I’m sure.

Looks like Merc has this one figured out but let’s see what happens.

Tom Servo
May 1st, 2021, 07:21 PM
It’s baseless rumour right now.

From what I gather, representatives from VW have been present at discussions over future F1 rules, and that while Audi has said they have no plans, Porsche's CEO said that regulations would need to change, but didn't say no.

Not *entirely* baseless, but certainly a ton of speculation.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/04/porsche-rumored-to-be-entering-f1-with-red-bull-racing/

JoeW
May 2nd, 2021, 08:50 AM
Don’t think there is any question who has the most powerful engine.

Overall fairly boring race. Love the elevation changes though.

samoht
May 2nd, 2021, 09:45 AM
Overall fairly boring race. Love the elevation changes though.

Given that the top-three finishing order was determined by a number of on-track passes without significant tyre offsets, I'm not sure exactly what more we could wish for.

FaultyMario
May 2nd, 2021, 10:01 AM
Given that the top-three finishing order was determined by a number of on-track passes without significant tyre offsets, I'm not sure exactly what more we could wish for.

IMHO, the race itself was reasonably entertaining, TV production... Both the production room and the announcers' booth were lackluster.

FaultyMario
May 2nd, 2021, 10:10 AM
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but... shouldn't Mazpown'd have gotten 2 penalties for the Perez impediment? One for the incident in which he tried to take the racing line from the race leader and another one for having passed 4 blue flags without yielding. IIRC, the onscreen graphic said that the incident was under review.

JoeW
May 2nd, 2021, 10:58 AM
I think the only passing was down the main straight. Could we have hoped for more? Sure. Is it likely at this venue? Not really. Since there was very little deg at this track they could at least follow fairly closely for a greater amount of time before killing their tires.

Good old Mazepin. I didn't follow him in F2. Was he this bad? He couldn't have been that bad in order to get a F1 ride...even considering the money he brought.

FaultyMario
May 2nd, 2021, 12:20 PM
I think the only hardcore follower of lower formula among us is Blerps.

As for the number 2 driver at Haas, all I know is:

a) He was (is) a bully to other drivers,
b) He is no Robert Shwartzman.

samoht
May 2nd, 2021, 12:45 PM
I think the only passing was down the main straight. Could we have hoped for more? Sure. Is it likely at this venue? Not really. Since there was very little deg at this track they could at least follow fairly closely for a greater amount of time before killing their tires.

I saw a rather talented driver make a pass for P2 between turns four and five, but maybe you're not a fan of that guy?

Honestly tho I was somewhat underwhelmed too, I think it must have been poor TV coverage as Mario says. One of the passes for the lead, I was seeing the time gap come down and anticipating an attempt from a lap prior, but the TV coverage and the commentary was elsewhere until it actually occurred.

JoeW
May 2nd, 2021, 01:49 PM
Yeah I seem to remember that pass. Somewhat overlooked because Bot had no grip on those fresh tires right out of the pit. I kinda chalked that one up to a pit stop pass.

Rare White Ape
May 2nd, 2021, 02:55 PM
Jeez a 29 second gap between first and second. Pretty academic victory. But damn that was a good pass by Hamilton to take the lead from Bottas.

Another equally clear cut gap is the one in the championship: Ham and Ver are still close together with a sizeable gap back to Norris in 3rd. I think the Norris-McLaren combo is definitely best of the rest this year.

samoht
May 2nd, 2021, 03:13 PM
Yeah I seem to remember that pass. Somewhat overlooked because Bot had no grip on those fresh tires right out of the pit. I kinda chalked that one up to a pit stop pass.

I find this sort of situation really exciting, cos you've got the anticipation of the undercut from the time the first driver enters the pitlane, watching each stop closely, watching sector times, seeing the first driver to pit charge up behind the second guy emerging from the pits on warmer tyres, knowing they've got a small window of opportunity to get past before the tyres equalise. And then seeing them both going sideways out of T3, well, that is the kind of driving I like to see...3714 . Yeah I'm being flippant, a bit of power oversteer at the exit isn't the same as a true inertia drift all the way through, but I liked it ;-)

I actually think the competitive situation after this race is quite intriguing, and it could come to be seen as a turning point in the year. Pre-season testing, the narrative was that Mercedes were in trouble and this was Red Bull's year. Mercedes seem to have improved their relative pace, race by race, until today could have been any race from the past seven seasons, with Mercedes looking quickest and Max using his talent to split the two Mercs. Is this the point at which the 'It's Red Bull's year' narrative is retired, and we go back to 'Hamilton dominant' again ? It could just be the ungrippy surface here, we'll find out next race - Barcelona is typically taken as the 'average' track that gives a good all-round view of the cars' relative pace, so could be revealing. But if I was Max, I'd be a bit concerned.

Positives beyond Hamilton; Norris is looking really really good, a class above his esteemed teammate and above anyone else in the midfield, again, making a good case that he should be in a top car soon. Alpine appear to have finally handed in their overdue winter-holiday aerodynamics homework and be more where they'd hope, real cause for optimism for both drivers there. I thought Perez confirmed that he can do what his two predecessors never managed, and be the solid runner-up the team want. Giovinnazzi looked good, and Schumacher Jr did well to race and beat a Williams, relatively promising race for the rookie.

Those having a bad day; Bottas starting on pole and finishing third, passed on track by both championship rivals and still fourth in the standings. If he can't make inroads into the championship when he's on pole, then you'd have to say he looks like an outsider and in no danger of pulling a Rosberg. Yuki Tsunoda was a long way down, disappointing after the pace he's shown prior - Alpha Tauri overall were slow today, as were Williams although that's unsurprising as they've designed a car that only works in still air, and Portimao's windy. Aston also are in a lot of pain, Vettel's good Saturday turning into a point-less Sunday. And finally, Kimi's collision with his teammate looked the kind of clumsy error that starts to raise the question of whether he's still got it.

samoht
May 2nd, 2021, 03:19 PM
Jeez a 29 second gap between first and second. Pretty academic victory. But damn that was a good pass by Hamilton to take the lead from Bottas.

Another equally clear cut gap is the one in the championship: Ham and Ver are still close together with a sizeable gap back to Norris in 3rd. I think the Norris-McLaren combo is definitely best of the rest this year.

That gap was exaggerated by the traditional fastest-lap shootout at the end, with a chain reaction of drivers pitting for softs.
Perez came in, that left Bottas a gap to do the same, which then left Verstappen the gap to do the same. Rather unsportingly ;) , Max pitted at the end of lap 64/66, which left Hamilton no chance to come in and have a bash as his outlap would have been the last. It was actually pretty close across the top three.

Yeah, great passes, I think the shortened DRS was spot-on as it brought the following driver alongside approaching turn one, making passing possible but not boringly easy, you had to pass in the corner, as it should be.

Crazed_Insanity
May 2nd, 2021, 03:22 PM
I’m still not a fan of have a ‘track’ surface outside of the official track.

Why not just delete those green areas so if cars really left the track, they dip into the grass or gravel or a wall and just let laws of nature penalize the mistake of going off track... rather than delete lap times or forcing drivers to give back positions during a race...

Anyway, I do believe Hamilton has proven that he’s worth the money once again! Even if he couldn’t get the pole, he’ll find ways to maximize points or just win the race... Mercedes are still quite good, but no longer dominate the sport anymore... Bottas hasn’t been able to get ahead of Max for the 3rd straight race! Bottas is not slow either..., as he has shown he’s capable of going fast during quali!

Yes, George Russel might be faster than Bottas, but if Mercedes swapped out Hamilton for George, hard to say if he could really stay ahead of Max...

Still can’t tell who’s be faster if Lewis and Max were in equal cars, but suffice to say Mercedes needs Hamilton’s skill and luck for this season! ;)

Lastly, Hamilton winning was probably what made this race boring? But I thought it’s kinda cool to make Lewis work hard for his win. I think the season should remain interesting throughout.

JoeW
May 2nd, 2021, 03:33 PM
Samoht pretty spot on for all :)

I thought I was going to have to explain the 29sec gap but you did that too. Overall the race was pretty close among the top 3 which I think had a lot to do with the low deg surface. But it was fairly obvious Merc had the power today. It was several laps that Max hung onto that DRS gap behind a Merc (sometimes at less than .5 sec when DRS opened) and he couldn’t even get close enough to try anything. Pretty sad.

I still say Merc pit strategy is on point this year. When Max and Bot pit they were starting to ramp up the lap times and then they brought Ham in. He came out perfectly in front of about 6 backmarkers with Max directly behind the backmarkers. That created a nice gap that couldn’t be recovered.

I sincerely thought Bot was going to catch and pass Max near the end but the gap went from 1.3 secs to over 3secs in one lap…then up to 5 secs. Bot said loss of power but I think he meant loss of willpower :)

Rare White Ape
May 2nd, 2021, 05:05 PM
Thank you, I wasn't aware of the pit stops, as I only watched the highlights on YT this morning.

Tom Servo
May 2nd, 2021, 08:10 PM
But it was fairly obvious Merc had the power today. It was several laps that Max hung onto that DRS gap behind a Merc (sometimes at less than .5 sec when DRS opened) and he couldn’t even get close enough to try anything. Pretty sad.

Definitely. Every lap that Max was catching Bottas saw him open up DRS about .7 seconds back and he'd claw his way up to .4 seconds back by the end of the straight. DRS or no, he just had nothing on the Merc's straight line speed.

FaultyMario
May 2nd, 2021, 08:44 PM
yes, it was telling that Perez was so slow at the end of the straight that Hamilton radioed in to complain when he thought that he was lapping him and not passing him for the lead, as it was actually the case.

JoeW
May 2nd, 2021, 08:52 PM
Lol I didn’t know that. That’s hilarious.

Crazed_Insanity
May 2nd, 2021, 10:11 PM
So I wonder if Honda still has ways to go before truly catching up or Mercedes has developed their engines more in response...

Or perhaps the smaller package simply allowed RB to be able to design a better car?

FaultyMario
May 3rd, 2021, 04:18 AM
I think it's got to do with the battery deployment, the Mercedes and the Ferrari PUs look like they can store more energy.

Crazed_Insanity
May 3rd, 2021, 07:16 AM
Really? I thought things such as battery storage would be the same for all teams, but I guess rules only specified a weight limit? So it's possible for teams to pack as high of energy density battery as they want? Plus, if you are producing more power, your turbo is probably blowing harder and charging the batteries more too?

Anyway, if there's still really such a significant power deficit with Honda engines, RB is really doing a great job to finish 2nd and 4th.

FaultyMario
May 3rd, 2021, 09:20 AM
I think I phrased my previous answer incorrectly.

It is not the amount of energy that the PUs can store, it's how much they can harvest and divert to the batteries plus the energy that can be used from the MGUK and MGUH on-the-fly.

FWIU, the banned 'party mode' of (mostly) Mercedes cranked up the ICE in such a way that the extra energy didn't have to pass thru the batteries for later use, but was instead made available to the crankshaft instantaneously. That's why that advantage was exacerbated in tracks with no heavy braking zones, like Austria, as there were not enough recharging zones for the more 'normal' ER systems.

I don't quite understand the rules, in the part that says that power from the batteries to the driving axle is limited to 2 MJ for up to 33 seconds per lap but -I've seen this somewhere- somehow the Mercedes PU was capable of delivering 4 MJ... I think that's why the party mode was banned, because they had found a way to bypass the Energy Store System... And because there is no unlearning, some of that extra recovered energy must be making its way back to the rear wheels more efficiently for Mercedes than for Honda, because Verstappen and Perez were clearly running out of juice, both during qualifying and during the race. Remember how Perez wasn't able to attempt FLs back to back, meanwhile Bottas strung 2 or 3 laps in succession?

In their recent debriefing of their new ICE, Honda was candid in saying that the redesign of the block head and cylinder sleeves put them back in their ERS performance and had to make modifications to the turbo:

Once validated, the more robust cylinders allowed the team to seek greater performance from its engine. This was done by reshaping the combustion chamber to increase compression, by reducing the angle at which the valves are positioned. This proved to be a win-win development: the camshafts were moved closer together, producing a more compact engine, which is easier to package within an F1 chassis.

These gains came with a downside, however. As the unit performed more efficiently, less energy was lost through the exhaust system, which deprived the MGU-H of power. To solve this, the blades of the turbine were reshaped, enabling it to perform more effectively despite the reduced exhaust energy.

Further reductions in the size of the engine, and lowering of its centre of gravity, were obtained by introducing new construction materials. These allowed Honda to reduce the engine’s bore pitch (the gap between the centres of adjacent cylinders).

So that means that they were back to 2020 levels of energy recovery, which was still down from what Mercedes had on hand.

Crazed_Insanity
May 3rd, 2021, 10:00 AM
Very interesting... Didn't realize Honda's improvements made on on their ICE may have caused further power deficit to their electric part of their PU... Thanks for the explanations!

I guess RB will continue to have issues on power circuits. Best strategy for Max is to simply ride behind Mercedes' coat tails for most of the race and then pass for the lead on the last lap? :p

FaultyMario
May 3rd, 2021, 04:14 PM
Think about this video (https://twitter.com/i/status/1389244884310167560) the next time Paul DiResta criticizes Hamilton (or anybody else) for their "mind games". There's a saying in Spanish: "It's not the same to watch the bullfights from the barriers".

samoht
May 4th, 2021, 06:11 AM
Definitely. Every lap that Max was catching Bottas saw him open up DRS about .7 seconds back and he'd claw his way up to .4 seconds back by the end of the straight. DRS or no, he just had nothing on the Merc's straight line speed.

Discussion here of the discrepency in passing power between the Mercs and the Red Bulls - https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-anderson-explains-why-hamilton-passed-verstappen-so-easily/ - sounds like the Merc has less drag (and/or is running less downforce)

FaultyMario
May 4th, 2021, 06:41 AM
Thanks, sam.

Crazed_Insanity
May 4th, 2021, 07:38 AM
Very interesting. Thanks samoht!

I think that makes sense, Mercedes’ low rake concept itself probably disturb the air less compared to RB’s high rake concept.

RB probably will be no match to Mercedes in power circuits with long straights…

Blerpa
May 5th, 2021, 06:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAPFHKhydHg

Crazed_Insanity
May 5th, 2021, 07:49 AM
So nice of Mercedes to do this for grojean…

Anyway, I thought he already had the best closure any driver could ask for… he went out with a bang and walked out of a ball of fire! Who could top that?!?!? :D

samoht
May 6th, 2021, 12:13 PM
Rumoured that Bottas has been told that he won't be driving for Mercedes in 2022.

Which makes sense to me. Hamilton-Bottas is a great pairing, it's very rare to see a driver who combines that much one-lap pace (enough for a good number of pole positions) with that little aggression and aggravation. If Merc was confident Hamilton would be staying with them through 2025, I think they'd keep Bottas on too.

However, in the case that Hamilton hangs up his driving gloves, you wouldn't want to be left with Bottas as your lead driver - he's proven time and again not to be on Hamilton's level, and with the Redbulls so close and cost cap in place, Merc just can't afford to be without a top level driver.

Bringing in a newbie after Hamilton retires would probably lose Merc at least a year, given how hard it is to get up to speed with limited testing and the complexity of the cars. Therefore Merc need to bring in a top-level young driver now, alongside Hamilton, to learn the ropes and be ready to replace him when he retires. To fail to prepare for succession in the cockpit is to prepare to fail, and very likely to break the run of success.

Since Hamilton seems to be enjoying the recent outbreak of competition at the head of the World Championship and leaning towards continuing next year, that means Bottas must vacate his seat, to allow a younger driver with more potential to be tested and to bed in, ready to win the next championship after Lewis retires. One assumes that will be Russell after his understudy performance last year.

The Daily Wail actually suggested Russell could be brought in mid-season this year, which seems surprising. Only way I could see that making sense is if Hamilton said this year would be his last, in which case you might prioritise getting his replacement up to speed. But I don't think that's the case.
While Bottas has had some weak performances, he's generally done ok over a season and is at a fairly high level, a new driver would need to get up to speed anyway so the upside is small in the constructors championship, and the downside big.
So I think that's nonsense, but I do expect this year to be his last at Merc.

Crazed_Insanity
May 6th, 2021, 06:08 PM
I was really hoping he could also convert that pole to a win and make this years championship even more exciting…

However, if his current form continues, being dropped midseason wouldn’t be surprising…

He’s really not a bad driver, just not a great one.

FaultyMario
May 7th, 2021, 05:26 AM
Did the second Haas need a ride on the back of truck this weekend?

Rare White Ape
May 7th, 2021, 07:10 AM
If they place Russell in the car, who do they get to become the stable, secure, non-aggressive 2nd driver?

Crazed_Insanity
May 7th, 2021, 08:37 AM
I think the only possible 'goal' left for Mercedes to achieve at this point is to win a championship with a German driver.

Vettel is probably out of question at this point unless he shines brilliantly later on in the year? So perhaps they could steal Mick Schumacher from Ferrari few years down the road after he's gotten used to F1 more in a Haas? If the German remained loyal to Ferrari, then surely Sainz will become available... I think Sainz has became a very capable driver... capable of leading a team at McLaren with young Lando (Did a better job than Ricciardo) and also capable of being a very respectable #2 at Ferrari so far against Leclerc (Doing better than Vettel)...

samoht
May 7th, 2021, 09:02 AM
If they place Russell in the car, who do they get to become the stable, secure, non-aggressive 2nd driver?

In this storyline it's Hamilton / Russell for 2022, and possibly for 2023 as well if Lewis feels like continuing. The idea being to have at least one year where George can get used to the car etc without the team relying on him to win the championship. So the Bottas replacement job comes up in 2023 or 2024, whenever Hamilton retires. Hard to predict in advance who'll look suitable at that point, will depend how everyones' career progresses over the next couple of seasons. It is always tricky finding a good wingman, though.

FaultyMario
May 7th, 2021, 09:26 AM
Yes, finding a Rubens/Bottas is pretty hard.

They're either a Heikki/Heidfeld or they end up shitting on the team.

Blerpa
May 7th, 2021, 10:45 AM
Lando Norris should be under Toto Wolff's management, IIRC. Enough said.
Vettel is on the way out, only other option for top driver for Mercedes is Max Verstappen... whom would leave Red Bull in a wink of an eye to join the germans.

FaultyMario
May 7th, 2021, 11:07 AM
Yes, Lando could be an option. O'Ward is a marketable figure who could take his place in McLaren if that was Martin's plan.

FaultyMario
May 7th, 2021, 06:17 PM
http://mazesp.in/

Crazed_Insanity
May 7th, 2021, 06:37 PM
:lol:

Such a fitting name… Maspin… mucho mas spins to come probably…

I guess he’s learning the limits of the car, once he figured it all out how to balance in that knife edge, maybe he’ll be good? Nah.

Rare White Ape
May 7th, 2021, 07:50 PM
Wow people really hate that guy don't they?

JoeW
May 7th, 2021, 08:24 PM
Takes a special person to be able to push all that hate aside and get on with business.

Max does it everyday…but Mazepin has a ways to go yet.

Rare White Ape
May 8th, 2021, 12:41 AM
Well with Mazepin the hate is 100% warranted. He is a terrible person and a very unsportsmanlike driver.

You won't hear me saying that about MV.

Blerpa
May 8th, 2021, 04:07 AM
What RWA said.
Also his career does not exactly speak volumes about championship talent: his most remarkable achievements are 4 wins in the 2018 GP3 series, resulting in him being runner up to late champion Anthoine Hubert, and 2020 Formula 2 championship with 2 wins and a 5th place in the final standings for that season.

Crazed_Insanity
May 8th, 2021, 09:58 PM
Yeah whatever… I’m just mesmerized by LH and MV at the moment. These 2 are pushing each other so far up… they’re kinda leaving their respective teammates in the dust!

Lewis should’ve asked for more money for sure!

I wonder if George could really get the job done as well if he were given the opportunity…

JoeW
May 9th, 2021, 06:39 AM
Pit strategy ftw.

samoht
May 9th, 2021, 07:52 AM
Well, that race really kept the tension going - a far cry from the 'boring' Spanish GP widely expected.

With five successive Spanish GP victories, Sir Lewis Hamilton is the Barcel-Owner :)

Ultimately Merc just seemed to have more pace in the car than Red Bull today. Max did great to grab the lead off the start - very similar to Imola with the two going wheel to wheel at the first turn and Max having the inside and coming off best. But Lewis had more speed, and ultimately made that count.

I think Merc should've pitted Hamilton the lap after Max's stop, since he lost a second in the pits they could have pulled the undercut with an immediate response, and then been under little pressure thereafter. Apparently they were worried about coming out behind Perez, but I don't think that was a reason not to. Looked to me like Merc did it the hard way today, but pulled it off.

The way Bottas didn't let Hamilton through seems to me to confirm the rumour that he knows this is his last year at the team. I don't want team-mates to be submissive, but to be honest if you hold up your team-mate when you have nothing to gain by doing so, you're purely slowing him down and helping your main opposition, then to me that just looks petty and foolish.

I think there's been a real change in the narrative of the season.
Pre-season testing: Merc are in real trouble, unreliable and aero is inconsistent leading to both drivers spinning. Red Bull are way ahead, this is gonna be their year.
Bahrain race: Well, Merc have fixed their instability issues, but they're definitely slower than Red Bull still, only Hamilton's talent and a bit of luck got the win this time, Max still looks good
Imola race: Seems like Merc and Red Bull cars are about equal now, Hamilton was trying to come back at Verstappen when he fell off
Portugal race: Looks like Merc are a bit quicker on this track
Barcelona race: Merc are quicker.

We're almost back to the status quo of Merc being the favourites, with Red Bull likely to snipe the odd pole and win, but not in overall contention. Much closer than last year, but still a developing expectation that Hamilton/Mercedes will be strongest and will come out on top.

JoeW
May 9th, 2021, 08:39 AM
Spot on as usual samohT.

RBR definitely are down on power. Perez could not get around Ricciardo even with DRS, and he had several tries. Only made it stick much later when they had different tires.

Max definitely making a go of it but ultimately just not enough.

And with Perez so far off the pace RBR can’t even try any different strategies. When Hamilton pit the second time Max couldn’t risk going after because Bottas was so close that he would lose position and risk riding around behind Bottas.

Merc just a better team. For many years.

Crazed_Insanity
May 9th, 2021, 08:45 AM
Better team, better driver.

Unbeatable combo.

At least we can see Max is trying hard and he’s close…

RB really needs to find a better #2 driver… or I hope Perez can get closer to Bottas soon…

JoeW
May 9th, 2021, 11:24 AM
https://www.planetf1.com/news/aston-martin-demoralised-lawrence-stroll/?fbclid=IwAR1aHZmNIVQiH7v9pETxsqVEY1zEj-smv5_yyvDQaDFU7S6GifswhOTrkO8

Good little article about the current state of Aston F1 under Stroll.

Crazed_Insanity
May 9th, 2021, 01:33 PM
Surely he will MAGA(make astinmartin great again)!

Vettel really should retire… rather than settling in that team as #2.

FaultyMario
May 9th, 2021, 06:02 PM
What was Perez's ailment? I've heard both that he felt dizzy and that his shoulder was hurting...

Godson
May 9th, 2021, 09:21 PM
While I don't like MV for dinner if the things he has done on track, I don't think of him as a bad driver, or a bad person. He's a bit whiney imo.

Mazepin is a women groping trash human with no class. He's also a complete knob on track, almost hitting the lead car, or slowing their pace on numerous occasions.

XHawkeye
May 11th, 2021, 03:42 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E09Yb1FXEAYG7ty.jpg

Achei no Instagram a definição perfeita da temporada 2021com o Nikita Mazepin #SpanishGP (https://twitter.com/highvaleria/status/1391428048008929280)

XHawkeye
May 11th, 2021, 03:43 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1HxX97XMAQP4wM.jpg

https://twitter.com/f1visualized/status/1392159318615658500

XHawkeye
May 12th, 2021, 02:58 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1NHa2MWYAIzsoV.jpg

Constructors compared to last year #F1 #Formula1 (https://twitter.com/f1visualized/status/1392535328100061185)

samoht
May 13th, 2021, 08:44 AM
It's been pointed out that Hamilton has the most points (94) that he's ever had, four races into a season. To be fair, his race results (three wins and a second) are equal best with 2015, the only difference being the new fastest lap point.

Nevertheless it flags up the paradox of the season so far, in that every race has been very closely-fought and uncertain in outcome, and yet the on-paper results look like a continuation of Hamilton's and Mercedes' dominance, since he and Max have been in a class of their own and he's taken three from four so far.

However, Monaco may favour Red Bull's one-lap pace, and it's not that hard to imagine a win or two for Max, and/or a misfortune for Lewis which could easily change the picture entirely.

JoeW
May 13th, 2021, 09:27 AM
I kinda wish they would narrow the points gaps between rewards. 25-18-etc seems like fairly large jumps. At least give us the illusion of closer points races by narrowing the reward gaps.

Crazed_Insanity
May 13th, 2021, 09:47 AM
I don't know... they used to have way fewer points paying positions and with a lot more teams. Now we have more points paying positions but with way fewer teams...

Anyway, I do believe winners should be rewarded with "exponentially" more points. I'd rather not have a champion who managed to consistently not win any races! :p

This year is indeed very paradoxical... I think George Russel has motivated Lewis Hamilton to give his 100% at every race this season! ;) Just glad RB/Honda has improved enough to be able to give Max the hope of possibility of beating Lewis.

Mercedes does appear to be trending downward... also with RB stealing so many of their key people, wonder if the trend will continue?

FaultyMario
May 13th, 2021, 10:43 AM
The 9 6 4 3 2 1 format (used between 1962 and 1990) is my personal favorite.

However I would like to see different point systems used for drivers and constructors. Like top 6 (more spread) for drivers and top 10 (1-point steps) for constructors.

Crazed_Insanity
May 13th, 2021, 12:51 PM
I'd like to see teams no longer be employers of drivers. Of course autonomous racing would be cool too, but I meant to have FIA be the sole employer for all drivers... and during every race, lottery system decides a random driver drives for which ever random team. Drivers cannot ever be picked for the same team again unless he has cycled thru all the teams.

Drivers who consistently failed to score any points after 2 or 3 seasons should just retire... so that young champions of lower feeder series could have a chance. Drivers will receive a base salary with additional bonuses based on points scored.

Such system should prevent paid drivers from entering F-1?

Also we'd have less arguments about which driver is the GOAT!

Championship winning teams could also brag about they are the best doesn't matter who drives our cars...

Anyway, dream on.

samoht
May 13th, 2021, 02:45 PM
One thing I like about the current system with points for the top ten is that most years, even the worst team gets to score at least one point. Which means that, lined up on the grid, every single driver has a small but realistic possibility of scoring a point - quite often nobody is in a car that's so uncompetitive that they won't get at least one chance of a point.

Points for second place have varied between 60% and 80% of the points for a win over time, so the current 72% is fairly 'normal'. I think too big of a gap and a run of form can lead to one driver wrapping the championship up early, leaving a lot of dead rubbers. Too small of a gap and you could get a champion who has won few or even no races.

I'm not that keen on Drivers' and Constructors' points being different because it would misalign incentives between driver and their team; if Drivers points go down to 6th and Constructors to 10th, then a driver in 7th place might want to make a risky pass for 6th, but their team would want them to bank the (constructors) points. It's also more complicated to follow.

Yobbo NZ
May 13th, 2021, 03:29 PM
If we didn't have pay to race drivers, you wouldn't have had Nikki Lauda.

Crazed_Insanity
May 14th, 2021, 07:42 AM
FIA should offer financial aid/scholarships for talented young drivers in lower feeder series… and if you win championships, you get to move up. If you never score any points, you get washed out and your seat given to future possible rising stars!

I’m sure young Lauda would still be able to excel in such environment without having to borrow money against his life insurance in order to secure a ride.

FaultyMario
May 14th, 2021, 03:39 PM
Red Bull Ring gets another round because Britons can't travel to Turkey to where they were supposed to go because Canadian GP was canceled.

FaultyMario
May 16th, 2021, 09:12 AM
McLaren to sport one-off livery for Monaco GP (https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2021/monaco-grand-prix/mclaren-racing-and-gulf-oil-international-unveil-limited-edition-monaco-grand-prix-livery/).

https://media-cdn.mclaren.com/media/images/galleries/2021_MCL_Monaco_SM_3Q_v1_Website_Gallery_Image_160 0x620.jpg

Crazed_Insanity
May 16th, 2021, 10:22 AM
Nice!

But I wonder what’s up with all the background stripes? Any hidden meaning or just visual effects?

FaultyMario
May 16th, 2021, 11:38 AM
There were some images of the car with hipster-y fauxcandescent lighting instead of the background in blue/orange stripes. Not hosted in McLaren's web page, sadly.

Rare White Ape
May 16th, 2021, 02:43 PM
We have come a along way from only being allowed to run one livery for a whole season :up:

FaultyMario
May 17th, 2021, 01:07 PM
however, the Felix Rosenqvist Indy 500 "tiger" (https://twitter.com/FRosenqvist/status/1394277279740612613?s=19) looks much better imho.

Crazed_Insanity
May 18th, 2021, 07:04 AM
Better only in the eye of tiger… I meant beholder… I think…

Blerpa
May 19th, 2021, 01:59 AM
Mclaren renews Lando Norris' contract for multiple years (precise expiry date of the contract has not been revealed).
It is believed to be a three-year contract, lasting til the end of 2024 season.

Rare White Ape
May 19th, 2021, 06:38 AM
Nice. They are on the way up. Mercedes engines have no doubt helped there.

Crazed_Insanity
May 19th, 2021, 08:36 AM
I feel so bad for Ricciardo. I really like the guy.

How lucky can this guy get? To have your career 1st nearly derailed by Max and now again by Lando?

I hope he can turn things around later on this season as he get used to his new team...

Anyway, I'm also happy for Lando too of course. He certainly fully deserve that contract extension.

FaultyMario
May 19th, 2021, 10:18 AM
Wot?

His rate of progress in the Macca has been remarkable.

Crazed_Insanity
May 19th, 2021, 10:51 AM
Just saying that I can't believe at his luck at being paired with a super competitive and talented younger teammates...

It was obvious the RB was gravitating toward Max... it's now clear McLaren is also now shifting its center of focus on Lando.

I don't think Ricciardo wants to establish his reputation as the next ruben barrichello... being a team's supportive reliable senior #2 driver?

In retrospect, he should've stayed with RB. Probably would've been better for him and for RB. Anyway, hope he'll continue to make progress and do well toward the later part of the season.

FaultyMario
May 19th, 2021, 11:05 AM
It's the Monaco GP and Hamilton can get to the office on his moped.

But he takes the Brutale instead.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1xb7djXsAkLGp3.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1xb-FQWUAMNMak.jpg

FaultyMario
May 19th, 2021, 11:09 AM
Zak is cleverly locking up Lando's contract in case Hamilton retires and Toto does a Toto. Don't read too much into it.

And don't pass judgement on the performance of a newly-acquired driver with just 4 races in.

FaultyMario
May 19th, 2021, 11:22 AM
And don't pass judgement on the performance of a newly-acquired driver with just 4 races in.

Except for you know who.

https://www.fodors.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/11_UniqueDances__WhirlingDervishes_shutterstock_36 1007156-724x483.jpg

;)

Rare White Ape
May 19th, 2021, 02:35 PM
It's the Monaco GP and Hamilton can get to the office on his moped.

But he takes the Brutale instead.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1xb7djXsAkLGp3.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1xb-FQWUAMNMak.jpg

Flame suppressors on an exhaust pipe are an affront to humanity.

Crazed_Insanity
May 19th, 2021, 02:51 PM
Except for you know who.

https://www.fodors.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/11_UniqueDances__WhirlingDervishes_shutterstock_36 1007156-724x483.jpg

;)

The Russian? Yes, I concur.

Are those traditional russian clothing? I could not be sure...

FaultyMario
May 19th, 2021, 03:14 PM
Those are practitioners of Turkish Sufi meditation, but, you know, ALL AZNS LOOK THE SAME!!

Crazed_Insanity
May 19th, 2021, 03:50 PM
They meditate by spinning around?

Sorry, not very familiar with Turkey, we usually just slaughter them on thanksgiving.

FaultyMario
May 19th, 2021, 03:58 PM
They meditate by spinning around?

Yes.

Not everyone kneels to reach a connection to god. Or have three day orgies of sex, booze and foods like the dyonisians.

samoht
May 20th, 2021, 01:42 AM
Odds on Mazespin being the decisive factor in this race? Either failing to get out of the way, and/or requiring a safety car.

FaultyMario
May 20th, 2021, 11:47 AM
Monte Carlo might not give good racing, but fuck me if it won't show great driving.

JoeW
May 20th, 2021, 11:53 AM
I was watching qualifying and thinking these motherfuckers get within an inch of a wall at nearly every corner, everytime. They must practice driving those cars a lot :)

Fiat500
May 20th, 2021, 12:04 PM
The McLaren's livery is lovely, I wish they would stick with it.

FaultyMario
May 20th, 2021, 12:52 PM
Almost half the field brought special helmets to Monaco. I think Danny Ric's and Latifi's are worthy of mention.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1xCleHWEAYrX1E.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E10BD2AXIAQTy0v.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1wj8SxXMAAJaKk.jpg

FaultyMario
May 20th, 2021, 01:03 PM
The McLaren's livery is lovely, I wish they would stick with it.

I was skeptical at first, but it looks great on TV.

Yobbo NZ
May 20th, 2021, 03:18 PM
Love the wings on the kiwi.

XHawkeye
May 20th, 2021, 03:55 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1xFYQeXMAA7rX_.jpg

Championship lead after 4 races #F1 #Formula1 (https://twitter.com/f1visualized/status/1395066695039979524)

XHawkeye
May 21st, 2021, 04:52 AM
https://youtu.be/jQMC5EeEZ9w

FaultyMario
May 21st, 2021, 09:03 AM
As much as it pains me to accept it, Zak "the Martin Prince of motorsports" Brown gets it:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E17AyAhWEAM96f_.jpg

Racing narratives are built on conquest and on conquerors.

FaultyMario
May 22nd, 2021, 05:23 AM
Spanish dragonmaster of zen driving with Latifi, rookies Mazepin and Tsunoda: those who can't make it past Q1 in Monaco.

FaultyMario
May 22nd, 2021, 06:44 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1_zM9fWEAI1oV5.jpg

Crazed_Insanity
May 22nd, 2021, 07:35 AM
Ferrari is back?

Mclaren got ahead of Mercedes is also interesting… was that because of Lando or Mercedes had no advantage on this track?

Or LH just had an off day?

FaultyMario
May 22nd, 2021, 07:46 AM
Lando was lit today.

Crazed_Insanity
May 22nd, 2021, 08:52 AM
Just saw the quali highlights, looks like Hamilton was off and Charlie could’ve caused the accident on purpose so max wasn't able to answer back?

Anyway, nice to see different team on top.

XHawkeye
May 22nd, 2021, 09:20 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2Aa8v_VEAQZ1L1.jpg:large

Dicknose
May 22nd, 2021, 02:58 PM
While not intentional, it does seem odd that a driver causing a red flag can get an advantage.
If you red flag a qualifying session and cause it to end early...
Should this be say a 2 grid place penalty? Or best lap cancelled, previous 2 laps cancelled?

Or am I being a bit harsh!

Crazed_Insanity
May 22nd, 2021, 05:53 PM
I think that’s fair. Particularly in Monaco! Regardless whether if it’s intentional or not, just for provisional pole setters, if you crashed or expired right after you got on pole and caused any sort of flags which ruined your competitors’ chance to beat you… then your fastest lap time shall be deleted. This way, just blame it on your bad luck and the rest of us won’t ever have to 2nd guess whether you or the team intentional did that or not…

FaultyMario
May 22nd, 2021, 05:54 PM
If a driver's actions impedes the others' efforts, their best lap should be erased.

It seems only fair.

edit: rephrased for clarity

JoeW
May 22nd, 2021, 07:07 PM
Anyone who doubts that these are the best drivers in the world need only watch a Monaco qualifying session. Just mental how they know every inch of the car and track…especially with so little visibility from the cockpit. And the bumps and G forces…dammit these guys are ridiculous.

FaultyMario
May 23rd, 2021, 04:44 AM
Ferrari do their thing.

Maybe they should have forfeited that pole position.

FaultyMario
May 23rd, 2021, 05:23 AM
Everybody's favorite rookie is shown the black and white flag for not adhering to tracks limits.

After just 50 kilometers of racing.

FaultyMario
May 23rd, 2021, 05:45 AM
Fuck TV direction sucks.

JoeW
May 23rd, 2021, 07:39 AM
Twice btw. Fire whoever is in charge of showing us what is displayed on our TV. Only fucking move of the day and we miss it live and we miss them replaying it. How fucking hard is it. If the announcers are raising their voices because of something exciting on track then take your hands off the switchboard.

But we finally have a new championship leader. Hamilton sounded like an entitled little brat child on the radio today. Bottas gets the shaft again. Surprise. LeClerc also gets the shaft…if there is even a chance of a problem then just change the fucking parts.

FaultyMario
May 23rd, 2021, 08:09 AM
When was the last time a different team from Mercedes was topping the WCC?

JoeW
May 23rd, 2021, 08:30 AM
Oh yeah just saw RBR is one point ahead of Mercedes in the constructors. Yikes.

How about that Lando guy in 3rd overall? And P5 for Vettel.

I can now see how the residents might enjoy watching F1. Even though there are no passes to speak of, it’s like a celebratory procession of F1 history. A F1 parade if you will.

JoeW
May 23rd, 2021, 08:36 AM
Oh…and fire the guy at Ferrari who said “ummm honestly I think it looks fine for tomorrow”.

I read the Hamilton interview and it reads like the team really let him down. “Really poor performance from the team “. Well whose fucking fault is it that they gave you a great 2sec pit stop to undercut Gasly but you couldn’t pull off fast enough laps on a clear track to make it happen and Gasly and Vettel managed to overcut your slow ass. Jeezus take some responsibility for once.

Crazed_Insanity
May 23rd, 2021, 09:23 AM
Not really sure what happened there…

It seemed like Ferrari got Mercedes strategist and Mercedes got Ferrari pitcrew today…

Whatever happened, this race seemed one off-ish?

Need to let season progress more and see how things settle…

Lots of WTF moments. Besides what’s going on near the top, I just can’t believe Ricciardo was lapped by Lando in the same car?!?!? Hope something is wrong with his car again? This does not look good for him.

Anyway, really happy for all 3 podium finishers!

FaultyMario
May 23rd, 2021, 10:27 AM
mmm Joe, i was also surprised to see Gasly ahead. i thought they're definitely getting the jump.

I think they called Hamilton early to give a fair treatment to bottas, you know, by not having him come behind after his pitstop.

problem was Hamilton could have stayed out longer but Valtteri tires were shot.

Blerpa
May 23rd, 2021, 11:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ukLvgrCkUc

If he wouldn't happen to be a giant arsehole I'd start to really feel sorry for this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWNJ5AFjfm4

Meanwhile, instead...

Yobbo NZ
May 23rd, 2021, 12:17 PM
Wonder how much longer Yuki is going to last? Still don't know why they didn't put Albon back in there. With Honda leaving, surely it wasn't a Japanese driver or else you don't have our engine type deal.

Crazed_Insanity
May 23rd, 2021, 04:59 PM
He scored 2 points and is a rookie! If he were at RB or something, maybe you can consider swapping him out, but at such an early stage, I think the team should give Yuki a bit more time. Was that 2points really a fluke? We'll see…

It’d certainly be I interesting to see Gasly and Albon end up doing well in AT… maybe RB really is too focused on Max that’s why they have a car that’s only drivable by Max?

Yobbo NZ
May 23rd, 2021, 06:48 PM
Hartley was a rookie also, and he was shafted after Monaco and "fans" were calling for him to be replaced, even after starting to better his team mate in later races.
Don't forget, Yuki has come from the next level down, where as Hartley came from a totally different class.

JoeW
May 23rd, 2021, 06:57 PM
Just looking at it again. Hamilton pit on 30 when he was 1 sec behind Gasly and 3 sec ahead of Vettel. He came out of the pits with shiny new tires and no one in front of him. So under regular circumstances this undercut should get him ahead of Gasly with a second to spare. Especially with a nice 2.2 sec stop.

Bottas pits about 45secs later and gets boned.

Norris, Gasly also pit on 31. Gasly stop is 3 secs. So he should definitely be overtaken by Hamilton right? The tv director is so focused on the Bottas wheel nut that we miss Gasly emerging from the pits ahead of Hamilton. Hamilton crying immediately on the radio “How am I still behind him!?” Like the team did something wrong.

Vettel pits on 32. And emerges directly next to Gasly and makes it stick.

So I really don’t see how Hamilton can blame anyone but himself. If he stays out any longer then he would have lost even more positions to other drivers pitting for fresh tires.

FaultyMario
May 23rd, 2021, 08:43 PM
The TV presentation was awful.

Crazed_Insanity
May 23rd, 2021, 09:42 PM
Something odd with that under/over cut… apparently it didn’t help by pitting early. Vettel pit last and was able to re-emerge ahead of the other 2?

Hamilton’s stop was super short, so yeah, something happened on track during the actual race, Hamilton lost time to those other guys… the usually winning strategy and the super fast crew(Bottas) just didn’t work for whatever reason.

You can’t really blame LH for being slow, he did achieve fastest lap of the race!

Just wasn’t Mercedes’ day.

At lease Ferrari won pole and finish 2nd. Best weekend of the year! Also glad to see Max finally win one.

JoeW
May 23rd, 2021, 09:59 PM
Well he was far enough ahead of P8 that he pit for new tires just for the fast lap run.

Vettel was running within a few tenths of the leader’s lap times so when Gas and Ham pit, Vettel had some clear track to push for a few laps. Whereas Ham was trapped behind Gas at that point.

But nothing “happened” to Ham. He was just not very fast all weekend and by the end he was blaming the team for losing position to Gas and Vet which I find fairly telling.

Article on the under/overcut
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.undercut-vs-overcut-why-tyre-strategy-was-so-finely-poised-in-monaco-and-why.1YYMDkEBnFols8bDWtSXiz.html

Crazed_Insanity
May 24th, 2021, 07:10 AM
If he could still achieve fastest lap, it means he and the car are still literally fast, right? But of course given their qualifying results, maybe we do have other cars that could be just as fast or faster if all given fresh tires and clear track?

It's just that perhaps traffic has screwed up their strategy? Vettel must've had more 'clear' laps in order for him to catch up 2 positions, whereas I'm assuming Hamilton was probably slowed by traffic more and caused the strategy to back fire?

Just looking at Bottas' pitcrew, it's obvious Mercedes had an off weekend. If that happened to Hamilton, imagine what kind of sissy fit he will throw. Bottas simply kneeled down and cried...

Anyway, this race has proven that lady luck is not always on their side. Top team can still screw up. Or perhaps Merceds is just beginning to crack? Especially RB has stolen multiple key people from them?

I was just pleasantly surprised that Ferrari apparently has improved quite abit on mechanical grip? I thought it's going to be a hopeless season for ferrari this season.

The other mystery I'd like to solve is why Ricciardo so slow? Imagine if both of your drivers are like Ricciardo, you'd think your car sucked! Also, imagine if both of your drivers are Lando, you'd think your car is awesome! That new McLaren is behaving oddly. Imagine if Ricciardo is a rookie. After joining such a team, he just might be quickly washed out and ended his career early. However, since they spent big money signing on a proven guy, they'd give Ricciardo extra time to get used to the car..., but if he doesn't improve soon, I'm worried for him...

Hope McLaren won't end up like another RB.

I certainly have a lot more respect for Carlo Sainz now. Although not super fast, but able to switch teams and match up with his teammates quickly with ease.

JoeW
May 24th, 2021, 07:44 AM
Did you watch the race? Just curious. It seems like you posit ideas or thoughts in a questioning manner about the race in a way that seems like you didn’t see it yet.

FaultyMario
May 24th, 2021, 08:28 AM
The other mystery I'd like to solve is why Ricciardo so slow?

He says the McLaren needs a special technique to make it rotate under braking and that he is puzzled as to why he can't replicate Norris' times even as he copies his inputs.

Nothing new, really, it's the same thing Lando said about Sainz' ease with the car in 2019.

Towards the end of the race Ricciardo was putting together some nice laptimes. IMHO, driver spend too much time in the simulator and not enough time in RL.

FaultyMario
May 24th, 2021, 08:38 AM
Max Rufus Mosley (b. 13 April 1940) is dead.

JoeW
May 24th, 2021, 09:34 AM
I wonder how many opportunities they get to actually drive their cars in anger outside of race weekends during the season?

Crazed_Insanity
May 24th, 2021, 09:54 AM
Did you watch the race? Just curious. It seems like you posit ideas or thoughts in a questioning manner about the race in a way that seems like you didn’t see it yet.

Yeah, no, I didn't watch the whole race... I only watched the race highlights.

2ndMoparMan
May 24th, 2021, 09:55 AM

After reading about some of his politics....not such a great loss.

Crazed_Insanity
May 24th, 2021, 09:59 AM
He says the McLaren needs a special technique to make it rotate under braking and that he is puzzled as to why he can't replicate Norris' times even as he copies his inputs.

Nothing new, really, it's the same thing Lando said about Sainz' ease with the car in 2019.

Towards the end of the race Ricciardo was putting together some nice laptimes. IMHO, driver spend too much time in the simulator and not enough time in RL.

Really? I did not know that. So perhaps McLaren had been secretly having an awesome car for a while... just too bad most drivers could not unlock it until Carlo Sainz got his hand on it? Now he is unlocking the secret potential of Ferrari as well? :p

Anyway, just want to see Ricciardo do better. Hope he figure it out soon.

FaultyMario
May 24th, 2021, 11:01 AM
Yup, every car has its secrets. Perez has said that one of the most difficult parts to understand from the RB is how to get the tires up to temperature for a fast lap.

That sounds puzzling, because up until the Racing Point era, the Team Silverstone cars followed the Newey/Prodromou designs closely, so, in theory, he should have some experience in that type of car. But I guess, the copy is not quite like the original.

Rare White Ape
May 24th, 2021, 01:38 PM

I hope they throw his ashes into the Thames at 3am with little fanfare.

FaultyMario
May 24th, 2021, 01:44 PM
https://twitter.com/NorthHertsSam/status/1396825761189924865?s=19

Twitter thread about the wheelnut

JoeW
May 24th, 2021, 02:09 PM
I read somewhere that said that the main problem was that they "machined it" which means they stripped the head basically. But that doesn't seem likely on that design unless the nut was cross threaded in the first place. Cross threading it when they put the wheel on would ensure it wasn't going to come off without a fight. Which would make more sense because they tried a couple of different wheel guns...which means they thought one wasn't powerful enough to pull it off. So they hammered on it until the head stripped.

FaultyMario
May 24th, 2021, 02:50 PM
There's a video at the end of the thread, originally from F1's facebook, which shows how chips come off the nut on first try.

This guy posted a picture of used wheelnut and compared it against what was shown on the F1TV Pro pitlane channel.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2I98BMXIAMy4Ki.jpg

Current theory is that it was a combination of factors: a possible structural problem with the metal, plus extra levels of heat made it too soft for the engaging tool.

JoeW
May 24th, 2021, 02:59 PM
Yeah I saw that. But even if some pieces came off from the first use of the nut, I doubt they would have reached for another tool. You don’t grab another unless the nut is on there so tight that it’s not coming off. I think the socket was probably making good contact with the nut at first but it wasn’t budging because it was cross threaded. Those tools make different sound when they are straining to remove something as opposed to the higher pitch whine they make when they are spinning super fast but the nut isn’t coming off because the head is stripped.

You might even be able to hear it on the race replay…I might try to watch it again.

I think they tried a tool several times but the nut wouldn’t budge because of cross threading. They grab another tool and try a few more times until enough pieces have been hammered off that the head strips. Obviously only a theory. Only they know for sure. But you don’t grab another tool if it’s already stripped.

Just watched it…I think they stripped it after the 2nd or 3rd try. Looks like they grabbed the other tool as like an afterthought. Almost a “well let’s try it but I don’t think it’s going to work”. But the announcer seems to explain it perfectly as well.

XHawkeye
May 24th, 2021, 03:51 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2E2S8WUYAIjzHl.jpg:large

XHawkeye
May 24th, 2021, 03:54 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2FM8OJXoAYD-6z.jpg:large

The last driver non Mercedes or Vettel to lead the F1 standings? (https://twitter.com/chevychevelle48/status/1396481958805389320)

Kimi Raikkonen, Australia [March 17] 2013#F1

FaultyMario
May 24th, 2021, 04:55 PM
Just watched it…I think they stripped it after the 2nd or 3rd try. Looks like they grabbed the other tool as like an afterthought. Almost a “well let’s try it but I don’t think it’s going to work”. But the announcer seems to explain it perfectly as well.

Didn't the thing rotate clockwise? Wouldn't that have been the tightening direction? Perhaps the guy had it in the wrong setting and rounded off the nut's splines.

Edit: Watched it again (https://twitter.com/F1/status/1396826173347401730?s=20). Nah, it rotated CCW. Freak accident.

JoeW
May 24th, 2021, 05:30 PM
Wish they had the entire stop footage.

I am curious what one of those tools cost. Those things are ridiculous. And he kept hitting it on the side. Like maybe there is a button or control on the side of the gun he needed to hit.

JoeW
May 24th, 2021, 05:35 PM
Seek and ye shall find.

Actually quite complicated.

I looked up a basic model…$7000. Wow. The actual F1 ones are probably $10-15k ea

https://youtu.be/xFYllIqlr6k

FaultyMario
May 24th, 2021, 09:17 PM
i think they bang them on the side in case the clutch is jammed.

IIRC, those things work like surgeon's saws, they have a clutch mechanism to prevent them from going off when there's no resistance.

JoeW
May 24th, 2021, 09:40 PM
He said they are programmed to turn one direction and the next time it is used it turns the other direction…and so on. So I think he is hitting the manual direction changer so he can keep trying it in the same direction.

FaultyMario
May 24th, 2021, 10:27 PM
That lever-y nipple thing they have by the side does look like a manual control of some sort.

Crazed_Insanity
May 24th, 2021, 11:00 PM
Gee, you guys are super obsessed with this machined nut! :p

JoeW
May 25th, 2021, 02:37 AM
Shhh…go talk about religion or politics. Leave the technical jibber jabber to us.

Crazed_Insanity
May 25th, 2021, 06:41 AM
:lol:

Ok bye. :p

JoeW
May 25th, 2021, 11:21 AM
I almost forgot…did anyone else think the Serena Williams thing was just awkward?

FaultyMario
May 26th, 2021, 11:56 AM
Mercedes wheelnut myth, busted:

[Chief Strategist James Vowles] said that the wheel gun’s action, described as ‘hammering,’ required perfect alignment to the nut to work correctly. “It’s an impact force and what happens is the nut typically loosens in four or five impacts against it, a hammering action.

“What happened is we came on slightly angled, so when the socket was now connected to the nut, it slightly angled relative to it and as a result of that, now instead of distributing the load across all of the nut it was across a small section and that tore the metal clean off and in fact all of the metal was now removed from the nut. As a result of that, the nut was in place and we were unable to remove it.”

Source. (https://www.racefans.net/2021/05/26/mercedes-explain-bottas-monaco-pit-stop-failure/)

Crazed_Insanity
May 26th, 2021, 02:13 PM
So we can conclude it’s human error?

These guns will become progressively more expensive! I’m guessing they’ll add sensors to ensure that the gun is seated/aligned properly before it starts torquing/hammering in order to avoid future problems?

Feel sorry for Bottas.

2 races got completely ruined thanks to no fault of his own.

JoeW
May 26th, 2021, 02:48 PM
The just need a better nut design. Pretty simple.

JoeW
May 26th, 2021, 04:11 PM
I read that Russell to Mercedes for 2022 is a done deal.

FaultyMario
May 26th, 2021, 07:05 PM
It's mind boggling that it is a captive design.

Crazed_Insanity
May 26th, 2021, 09:16 PM
I think it’s more mind boggling for Mercedes to make driver decisions so soon. Might as well just fire Bottas right now and let Russel get used to his new team!

I hope that rumor isn’t true. If true, that’s just machined nuts!

samoht
June 1st, 2021, 09:23 AM
I think it’s more mind boggling for Mercedes to make driver decisions so soon. Might as well just fire Bottas right now and let Russel get used to his new team!

I hope that rumor isn’t true. If true, that’s just machined nuts!

I explained it a few pages back, but it's not a question of Bottas' performance per se, but of Mercedes' need to bed in their next lead driver.

* We know from the past five seasons that Bottas isn't as good as Hamilton over a season.
* We know from the off-season that Hamilton's continued driving in F1 can't be taken for granted.
* We know from the past five races that Mercedes' car advantage over the rest of the field can no longer be presumed.
* We know from the past five races that drivers who swap teams can't be expected to score points at their full potential over their first championship season with their new team.

I'd suggest the above are more or less undisputed facts, and are vanishingly unlikely to change between now and Christmas. Putting them together, the year after Hamilton retires, a lineup of Bottas plus a newly hired driver will necessarily be weaker than any Mercedes has fielded since 2013, and without the car advantage it would be unlikely to win that year's titles.

Since anything less than the title double is a failure for Mercedes F1, the team leadership are obliged to avoid getting themselves into such a situation. The only sensible course of action, therefore, is to sign up Russell for 2022 and hope (as looks likely) that Hamilton will feel like continuing for at least one further year. In this case they get another year of Hamilton winning and Russell learning, the latter then being ready to step up and win titles when the former retires.

There is very little chance of anything changing the above calculus, and hence very little benefit in waiting. Conversely, by making the decision now and informing the relevant parties, they are treating Bottas with respect and maximising his opportunities to find another drive, while reassuring Russell and avoiding the risk that he might run out of patience and sign up elsewhere.

This article, after going on about how Bottas isn't driving too badly, finally arrives at the same point https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-case-for-mercedes-keeping-bottas-for-2022/

Crazed_Insanity
June 1st, 2021, 12:15 PM
I think it's a fair analysis that Bottas is just not that great, and Mercedes absolutely need to grab onto Russel asap...

However, I just thought it's kind of stupid to demonstrate to your current driver that you don't care about him anymore. Granted, Bottas might motivate himself to perform super well in order to line up ride else where next season...

Anyway, if I were the boss, I would not allow such rumors to take place so early in the season. When I lose faith of my current driver, I'd probably just replace him right away... rather than continue to let him race half heartedly. Use the remainder of the races to let my new driver get used to the team in preparation for next year. Point is I think bosses need to trust their employees. If you no longer trust them, don't continue to employ them. Pay them their entitled severance and then just send them home. Why waste each other's time?

Unless of course if the driver has decided to retire all on his own.

FaultyMario
June 1st, 2021, 01:58 PM
Does anybody lend any creedence to those who place Bottas next to Verstappen next year?

Kchrpm
June 1st, 2021, 03:36 PM
Does anybody lend any creedence to those who place Bottas next to Verstappen next year?

That clear stuff they've been drinking at the revival isn't water, if you catch my drift.

Rare White Ape
June 1st, 2021, 03:59 PM
What’s contained within his head might be valuable, but I doubt that Red Bull would need information about how the Mercedes team has been doing things over the last half-decade, considering they already scored a few engine gurus who would arguably have more relevant information needed for performance gains. Plus they already have a list of development drivers who they’ve fostered and would prefer to employ, rather than an outsider.

He could go back to Williams, seeing as how with the new ownership they might relinquish the whole “we aren’t going to be a B team for anyone” attitude that might have held them back recently, and be given the task of being their lead driver in a return to the head of the mid-field and become a worthy ally to Mercedes.

Bear in mind that Bottas is not a bad driver. In fact he is very good. He just doesn’t possess the inner hyena that forces MV and Hamilton and Norris and Russell to fight tooth-and-nail to succeed at every step. I’ve said before he is the world’s best #2 driver, and that level of skill and consistency would be exactly what a team like Williams would need to push themselves up from the row just ahead of Haas.

FaultyMario
June 1st, 2021, 04:33 PM
That clear stuff they've been drinking at the revival isn't water, if you catch my drift.

That's rather fortunate, son.

Crazed_Insanity
June 4th, 2021, 07:09 AM
Hmm... looks like Mercedes are really no good on temp street circuits?

samoht
June 5th, 2021, 09:42 AM
Hmm... looks like Mercedes are really no good on temp street circuits?

Apparently most permanent circuits have grippier tarmac, whereas public roads end up with a smoother, less grippy micro-finish that puts less energy into the tyres.

Over the years Merc seem to have shifted from a car that ate its rear tyres to one that is gentle on them, giving superior long-run performance but slower warm-up. Last year they had DAS to dial in some toe and warm the fronts, this year it's the same car but without that option.

So they struggle to warm the tyres up in cooler weather and on smoother tarmac. Conversely they have an advantage when it's hot and wear is a limiting factor.

Obviously setup and driving style also play into switching on the tyres, last time Bottas managed to find the sweet spot to get the tyres working, this week it seems that Hamilton has.

Crazed_Insanity
June 5th, 2021, 03:27 PM
Yeah, glad to see Hamilton improving, don’t want to hear him whine about his car and his team for the whole race! :p

I also 2nd Alonso’s suggestion to shuffle people who caused red flags to the back of the grid. Leclerc got his pole fair and square this time around, but he definitely should not have been allowed to keep his pole position back in Monaco. Shuffling back to the grid would also encourage the team to swap out the drivetrain just to be safe since you couldn’t be penalized any further! ;)

Anyway, it’s really surprising to see so many F1 drivers hit the wall so far…

Kchrpm
June 6th, 2021, 06:30 AM
Gotta remember to turn off the magic at the right time. Wild ending.

Crazed_Insanity
June 6th, 2021, 06:46 AM
Wild indeed!

FaultyMario
June 6th, 2021, 08:49 AM
I hope Ron found the time to make up with Mansur before the latter's passing.

End of an era.

FaultyMario
June 6th, 2021, 08:50 AM
Gotta remember to turn off the magic at the right time. Wild ending.

he did, accidentally switched it back on at launch.

FaultyMario
June 6th, 2021, 08:55 AM
Driver of car #9 is dangerous. He shouldn't be racing at this level.

JoeW
June 6th, 2021, 01:55 PM
Let’s go Vettel and Perez.

But on the tire issue. Of course Pirelli will sound confident that there is no problem after one car crashes at 200mph on the straight. But after the second car crashes on the straight? While leading? And the championship leader? That’s a bad look. Get your shit together Pirelli.

Hamilton borks the championship lead trying to be a hero. Watch out for that brake magic!

Crazed_Insanity
June 6th, 2021, 03:12 PM
It was peculiar that both cars blew their left rears. However, left rear shouldn’t be the most stressed, right?

Anyway, it is kind dumb for them to run so fast on a street circuit…

As it is, I kinda want more street circuits… giving us more unexpected results. Saw one of the YouTube commenter making an interesting observation…

Winner: fired by racing point
2nd: fired by Ferrari
3rd: fired by Red Bull

Nice to see them firing back! :D

JoeW
June 6th, 2021, 03:49 PM
Bottas looked extremely below average today languishing in the bottom half of the field getting passed by lower tier machinery. When you have the top car you really need to keep it in the top 5 at least.

Perez stepping up finally. He looks happy in the car now. Played the perfect teammate today and was faster than Hamilton.

JoeW
June 6th, 2021, 04:19 PM
Oh and Mazepin beats Hamilton today. The future has arrived.

FaultyMario
June 6th, 2021, 06:58 PM
I don't exactly understand why Baku City Circuit is dirtier than other temp tracks, there always seems to be a carbon shard or a tree branch wrecking havoc. Or maybe they all are and Monaco is the exception.

CudaMan
June 8th, 2021, 09:28 AM
I love seeing happy podiums. That's the happiest one I can remember in a long time. Was rooting for Vettel and Perez to get on that podium once the red flag came out. Very unexpected mistake by Hamilton, even if it was bumping the Magic switch at the wrong time. Great fight back by Norris too after the penalty and languishing in the small points until the manic sprint of the last 2 laps.

JoeW
June 8th, 2021, 12:01 PM
Didn’t mention earlier but good on RBR for asking for a Red Flag and suggesting everyone be allowed to change tires.

Definitely low confidence in Pirelli at that time of the race.

Rare White Ape
June 8th, 2021, 02:00 PM
Is that why the race went red a few laps after the SC? I was very puzzled by that as the decision doesn’t normally change.

Sucky way to end the race for Verstappen though.

JoeW
June 8th, 2021, 03:03 PM
Yeah at some point they played the call from RBR to the FIA about it.

Crazed_Insanity
June 8th, 2021, 03:11 PM
I just thought it’s insane that they go this fast on a temp street circuit. They will get even faster at Saudi Arabia later…

Don’t get me wrong, I like to see these shuffled results, but I just feel uneasy seeing these cars going so fast when there are buildings, columns, lamp posts and even marinas and lagoons right next to the circuit…. Flat spin crashes are fine, I just hope no one takes off and fly out of the track…

Temp circuits should just be twisty and slow IMHO.

XHawkeye
June 8th, 2021, 03:37 PM
Hard to get across how impressive these cars are at speed. The downforce is audible, and the energy that comes off of them at turn 19 in Baku moves our Medical Car as they go past. This was the short dash to the flag after the restart. (https://twitter.com/F1Photographer/status/1402055955299242003) <--- Open for video

Rare White Ape
June 11th, 2021, 02:55 AM
I have a new source for all of my F1 info.

https://youtu.be/PXdusb41MnY

Crazed_Insanity
June 11th, 2021, 07:55 AM
I saw that on YouTube, dude has a lot of time on his hand! :D

JoeW
June 16th, 2021, 07:06 AM
So Pirelli says it wasn’t debris. They also said the teams followed proper protocol for tire pressures, blanket temps etc. So everything is ruled out…but it’s not their fault.

Crazed_Insanity
June 16th, 2021, 07:21 AM
Obviously it's God's fault. He did not want Max to win and wanted Stroll to look bad compared to Vettel and possibly even take Masspin back to Russia so he can serve in the military...

At least the Pirellis did not mess up Ferrari's race... probably because they rhyme well together. :p

FaultyMario
June 16th, 2021, 10:53 AM
Pirelli hints at the management the teams do of the tires, for example how they cool them down.

I don't understand the pressures issue, but fwiu Pirelli recommends a minimal number for the whole duration of the stint, yet what pundits explain is that teams can run their tires at a significant lower pressure than what they have when they're being warmed up in the blankets.

XHawkeye
June 16th, 2021, 03:46 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E38JEkQXIAMZfPz.jpg

Crazed_Insanity
June 18th, 2021, 07:16 PM
It appears that Bottas isn’t as ‘not great’ as preciously thought…, after swapping chassis with Hamilton, now he is faster than Hamilton!

FaultyMario
June 20th, 2021, 06:18 AM
The fucking driver car #9 is such a waste of a seat. He costed some the leaders about 1 second in one of the better podium battles this year.

FaultyMario
June 20th, 2021, 06:28 AM
Whatever the result Hamilton has demonstrated why he's 5-0 against Bottas.

Crazed_Insanity
June 20th, 2021, 10:32 AM
Was that Bottas complaining that the team didn't listen to him about this being a 2 stop race?

As a driver, you couldn't make your own call?

Anyway, perhaps without the chassis swap, Hamilton could've won? I think Hamilton was probably slowed a bit by the faulty chassis and Bottas performance has improved a bit..., but of course still not enough to beat Hamilton.

The Mexican driver has definitely proved his worth compared to all those other jr RB drivers...

FaultyMario
June 20th, 2021, 10:34 AM
Mercedes were too conservative and slow to react. The moment they were under cut, should have been the moment their strategists knew their assumptions were incorrect.

FaultyMario
June 20th, 2021, 10:39 AM
Do you guys think the battle for third in the constructors' is a done deal?

Can Alpha mount a challenge? can Ferrari turn their fortunes around?

Kchrpm
June 20th, 2021, 10:40 AM
As a driver, you couldn't make your own call?
Not really. They have to get all of the people and things prepped for you, and if you're just refusing to do what you're told, you're likely to be out of a job.

Rare White Ape
June 20th, 2021, 01:28 PM
I think the Verstappen-Red Bull combo is the one to beat this year. MV drove really well and both cars passed Bottas like he wasn’t even there.

For Mercedes to catch up they’ll have to dial in more power and… be more reactive with strategy! They’re too used to leading from in front.

JoeW
June 20th, 2021, 02:31 PM
Honestly not a fanboi post but Max really showed his mettle this race. Changing car strategy mid race and fighting back to pass Hamilton at a track Hamilton has literally owned since 2018 is just sheer genius driving.

This is one of those drives the Hamilton fans call his greatest triumphs when the roles are reversed. Now Max has done while the WDC is so close. Just calm under pressure and made it happen.

Crazed_Insanity
June 20th, 2021, 02:41 PM
Probably too late to react.

It seems you undercut on these normal tracks, but overcut on temp street circuits?

Or perhaps the screw up by Max on the 1st lap was a blessing in disguise. Had Lewis been in 2nd the whole time, surely they would’ve tried undercut 1st and then Max will end up losing the race?

FaultyMario
June 20th, 2021, 03:24 PM
Honestly not a fanboi post but Checo really showed his mettle this race. Making the hard strategy work to give Max a fighting chance against Hamilton at a track Hamilton has literally owned since 2018 is just solid driving.

Max has won while the WDC is so close. His calm under pressure comes from knowing he can trust his teammate.

JoeW
June 20th, 2021, 04:59 PM
Not sure Perez had much to do with the WDC fight but he definitely kept the Manufacturer’s Championship lead expanding. It’s about time RBR had a solid #2.

You know, besides all the diarrhea… :)

Crazed_Insanity
June 20th, 2021, 06:20 PM
Yeah, solid #1s like Hamilton and Max are usually very rare... not to mention painful when you pee out solid stones. :p

Rare White Ape
June 20th, 2021, 08:56 PM
Honestly not a fanboi post but Max really showed his mettle this race. Changing car strategy mid race and fighting back to pass Hamilton at a track Hamilton has literally owned since 2018 is just sheer genius driving.

This is one of those drives the Hamilton fans call his greatest triumphs when the roles are reversed. Now Max has done while the WDC is so close. Just calm under pressure and made it happen.

Ehhhh I wouldn't go that far. It was a good drive, no doubt about that. But it really came down to straight line speed (which the Merc seems to be missing this year - is that a DAS thing or an engine thing?) and better grip due to the strategy.

At the start of the year you wouldn't have seen me typing anything that wouldn't say that a Ham/Merc title was a given, but now what I'm seeing is Mercedes making mistakes, and a stronger car from Red Bull. If you change one of those two factors then it'll switch things right around.

Crazed_Insanity
June 20th, 2021, 09:18 PM
Nothing is given, things could easily switch around either way yes…

However, if Hamilton failed to win this season, it’d be because Mercedes failed to pay Lewis top dollars! :p

As RB stole more and more Mercedes people over, the two teams seemed to have switched too!

It used to be Mercedes with both cars consistently finishing near the top, but now Bottas is becoming more like one of them RB jr drivers…

Anyway, very interesting season so far. If RB failed to win it this year, surely they will in subsequent years… it’d be funny if Honda failed to win again in their last year, but their former team end up as multichamps of the future… so sad and stupid.