PDA

View Full Version : The Disney+ app sucks balls

Rare White Ape
December 6th, 2020, 08:39 PM
Get this:

On PC:
There is no Disney+ app for Windows, so you have to use a browser.
Max resolution is 720p no HDR
2.0ch stereo

On Android smart TV:
Max resolution is 4K with HDR
But 2.0ch stereo

On PS4 Pro:
Max resolution 1080p (I think) no HDR
With 5.1ch surround

Please tell me there is a way to watch content on the service where I can get the maximum available experience on my TV without having to spend hundreds of dollars on a device that has an app which allows it.

Rare White Ape
December 6th, 2020, 08:46 PM
I should add, the iPhone app appears to support the 4K stream and HDR when played on its screen, but of course there's no surround being a little device with two speakers.

But when casting the content to the TV it maxes out at 1080p SDR with 2.0 stereo.

Rare White Ape
December 6th, 2020, 09:14 PM
I remembered that I had an Xbox One S so I dusted that off and downloaded the app.

And… everything I want works. Full 4K HDR 5.1 surround.

But looking at Reddit threads on the topic the Xbox app doesn’t support Dolby Atmos, so that sucks for owners of Atmos equipment.

FaultyMario
December 7th, 2020, 04:03 AM
it isn't even available for older apple tv devices.

:smh:

Kchrpm
December 7th, 2020, 04:06 AM
I thought the Android TV app just wasn't outputting a Dolby Digital signal that my old receiver could understand. I'm using a Chromecast Ultra now, it's giving me 4K HDR and Dolby Digital surround, plus the convenience of voice control. I don't know if it supports Atmos, that wasn't a thing when my receiver was built.

JoeW
December 7th, 2020, 08:46 AM
4K on my Apple TV no problem.

TheBenior
December 8th, 2020, 02:53 AM
Disney hasn't been able to get the PS4 app not to run well reliably at 1080p (https://screenrant.com/disney-plus-app-playstation-4-buffering-issues-why/), let alone 4K or HDR.