PDA

View Full Version : Godson - 2013 Scion FR-S

Godson
May 24th, 2021, 07:54 PM
I bought a twin back in February. I'll type up more tomorrow along with my experience so far.

Kchrpm
May 24th, 2021, 08:01 PM
:lol:

Phil_SS
May 25th, 2021, 06:55 AM
What a jerk!

TheBenior
May 25th, 2021, 09:02 AM
I like your customizations

Yw-slayer
May 25th, 2021, 09:35 AM
Is naaiiiccee I lik

dodint
May 25th, 2021, 03:38 PM
Make sure to include, in your experience, who was faster in it...

Godson
May 26th, 2021, 10:21 AM
So.

This car deserves a bit of a segue as to why.

I had banked on the Corvette as my *it* car that I develop and become known for. I wanted it to be a car I knew inside and out. Sadly, because of my hip situation and the small pedal box, it couldn't work out. Trail braking wasn't possible on right handers that required a downshift. It cost me several seconds per lap at NCM due to muscle weakness that isn't something I can go to the gym to fix, or really anything.

So I started looking, and driving anything I could get my hands on. The list was huge. From various mustangs, including a Boss 302 Laguna Seca, caymans, 911, corvettes, F-Type...the list goes on.

Then a good friend of mine suggested a supercharged twin. I wanted something quick, that made good power, and was a fun drive. I knew the base car would be slow, but the supercharger could make the difference. I'd really prefer something that had torque and a good V8 sound, but this was a decision that required purpose.

I scanned car gurus and noticed a dealership local to me has a 2013 FRS for sale with 58k miles on it. I hopped into the car and the first bit I turned the wheel, I knew this was a solid option. The one caveat, it need to pass the hip check. Which isn't something I can do on the street, because it needs to be under heavy braking.

I asked a few buddies I autoxrossed with about the twins, because a few of them had cosworth supercharged cars. One made 250whp, the other was 280. They had nothing but good things to say about the cars, the power, and the torque delivery. These two guys had collectively owned over 60 cars, and both were under 40 years old.

So I bought the car, ordered some required track components, like an oil cooler, raybestos ST43 pads, and registered for my first track session of the year in a TNiA at Heartland motorsports park. Just to see if the car could let me function with my deficiencies.

I had a great experience with the car, and even with the 400treadware "Le Mans" tires. I was impressed with the amount of grip, the turn in, and just overall happy with the purchase.

Car communicated what it wanted, how it wanted it, and responded well to the minor changes. I was able to really push the car into it's grip envelope with confidence and explore how it talked. I didn't have video, or a lap timer, but looking back at my corner speeds, I should have been in the mid 2'0x range. The only cars I gave point bys on were all making 200+ more power, and on better tires. Cars like a GT3, and LS3 swapped Miata making 500rwhp on r-comps. Oh yeah, and I gave a point by to a lone Miata, driven by Jon Hunter. Which shouldn't come as a surprise to some of you.

More later

Here is the oil cooler installation process.

Photo from said event.

Don't know why the one Is upside down...

Rikadyn
May 26th, 2021, 01:55 PM
Segue, Segway is how you would break your leg.

Godson
May 26th, 2021, 05:06 PM
I missed the autocorrect on my read through. Lol

Cam
May 27th, 2021, 05:43 AM
[Insert "Nice." meme]

Phil_SS
May 27th, 2021, 07:05 AM
So when does the SC get installed? :D

Rikadyn
May 27th, 2021, 03:48 PM
So when does the SC get installed? :D

And the two kits of nitrous

Yw-slayer
May 27th, 2021, 11:51 PM
QUARTER MILE AT A TIME

Rikadyn
May 28th, 2021, 04:35 AM
QUARTER MILE AT A TIME

Eighth mile these days...

GB
May 28th, 2021, 07:27 AM
Approve.

Leon
May 28th, 2021, 09:29 PM
Nice :) I enjoyed the years I had my stock one. Never wanted to join what we called "the boom club" in the 86 owner's forum, cos apparently everyone there who went boost also went boom ;-)

dodint
May 29th, 2021, 03:38 PM
That is kind of his specialty, tho...

Rare White Ape
May 30th, 2021, 02:04 PM
Finally! A photo that is oriented correctly for my Southern Hemisphere eyes.

Godson
June 7th, 2021, 07:55 PM
I meant to put up video and a break down of what happened at ECR two weeks ago.

Instead, I'll drop the video of my runs, and when I'm free of time this week at nats, I'll type up a response.

So here it is,. Video editing software is a bit goofy, so the time stamps don't like up in places...

Feel free to leave any feedback.

https://youtu.be/z9UGlVxGi8I

Yw-slayer
June 8th, 2021, 02:12 AM
I would suggest reducing the exposure on the camera if possible, since it's hard to see the details of the track/exterior, and I think it would be more important than interior detail. Also mounting to avoid ahving the rear-view mirror block the centre of the shot (which may in turn help with overexposure of the track/exterior).

I don't feel qualified to give you feedback on the driving, although I can see the series of corners at around 1:05 onward is pretty tough.

Godson
June 8th, 2021, 07:59 AM
Yeah, both thoughts are in the order for this weeks events. I *think* I can modify the camera exposure, but only while recording. I'll dig around some to see what I can come up with.

CudaMan
June 8th, 2021, 08:54 AM
Not sure about teh VIRB, but on a GoPro you can turn on Spot metering and make sure the center point of the camera view is looking to the outside instead of on an interior part (including the mirror). Or just do the EV. Seems like at least a full stop needed there.

Congrats on the sweet ride!

Yw-slayer
June 9th, 2021, 02:09 AM
Congrats on the sweet ride!

Fo Sho.

Godson
June 11th, 2021, 09:59 AM
Thanks everyone.

I'm currently at TTNats running at NCM. I am sharing a car with a guy who is pretty quick. If it was a class built car, I'm fairly sure he could be chasing a podium.

That being said, I'm in the bottom 3/4 currently and struggling to find pace.

I think I've narrowed it down to not trail braking, not blending my inputs together. I'm definitely not doing nearly as good of a drive as I did at ECR two weeks ago.

It's all in my head, I just need to polish.

dodint
June 16th, 2021, 12:44 PM
This is me in Tyler's FR-S in Texas last month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzWlvo9owe4

First part is the fastest lap. Tyler did turn a faster lap on the last day, nice job mate.
Second part is a really tricky high speed spin that I had. Sorry about the tires. I'm pretty sure it was just a combination of a damp track, cold tires, and braking after turning. But I'm still a bit startled at how quickly it happened, I'm not sure I could've done much to save it once it started. I had cars following so I let off the brake and allowed it to coast backwards into the field rather than putting them at risk.

GB
June 16th, 2021, 04:27 PM
That track looks like fun!

Godson
June 16th, 2021, 05:26 PM
ECR has a great flow to it. I absolutely love that track. It's forgiving, yet has some hidden gems to it.

The faux corkscrew is amazing to throw the car into after the back straight

dodint
June 16th, 2021, 06:51 PM
ECR is great. They just need to move it several hundred miles closer. :lol:

The video does not really convey the elevation changes. There are a lot of climbs and dips, similar to VIR or PittRace.

Godson
June 18th, 2021, 07:17 AM
https://youtu.be/V9LP17Jw7FY

Video from Sunday. This was my fastest lap of the weekend, after watching it, I know where I was leaving 2 seconds to my co-driver.

I have a lot of work to do!

Rikadyn
June 24th, 2021, 04:46 AM
Like an LS Swap?

Godson
June 26th, 2021, 05:53 PM
That is possibly in the cards...

Godson
February 15th, 2022, 11:23 AM
Man, I haven't updated this thread in a long time.

I have been working on selling this car. But it needed a clutch first.

Here a photo dump of that process.

I also have the garage in a condition in which I can finally work on things in confirm, and it of the weather.

So I did a wash, clay bar, high speed polish, paint sealant, and swapped the front bumper cover. As the front end of this car was a bit tougher than I would like. It also had a virgin front plate mount, and the car I bought had a front plate mount already installed.

Here is a photo dump of that process. Only thing left is to polish and wax the swapped bumper cover on, then a final wipe down and vacuum.

I will be picking up the prospective new owner on Thursday from the airport for them to see the car. Should be cool.

Phil_SS
February 16th, 2022, 05:17 PM
I thought you were dropping a Maserati motor in this so Nate could blow it up?

dodint
February 16th, 2022, 05:59 PM
That's the *other" FR-S. I already sullied this one.

Godson
February 18th, 2022, 04:30 PM
Car sold.

I already miss it.

I really wouldn't have sold it if I didn't have the next project rolling....

Random
February 20th, 2022, 06:01 PM
Car sold.

I already miss it.

No take backs! :D

Friday:

Sunday:

Yw-slayer
February 20th, 2022, 06:45 PM
You bought it? Nice.

Leon
February 20th, 2022, 06:57 PM
bahahahahahahahah! That's cool

Random
February 20th, 2022, 07:08 PM
You bought it? Nice.

Yup, flew in Thursday, we did some last minute clean-up and errands, and then I took off for California midday Friday. Rolled in to Davis early afternoon today after overnight stops in Denver and Elko. :)

Yw-slayer
February 20th, 2022, 11:39 PM
Gonna stance it on 20s, y0?!

Phil_SS
February 21st, 2022, 04:47 PM
First car for Mr 15?

Random
February 21st, 2022, 05:41 PM
Ha! Unlikely. :)

Godson
February 21st, 2022, 06:07 PM
Super happy to keep this car in "The Family".

Rikadyn
February 22nd, 2022, 01:11 AM
Swap in a 488 engine just to one up the seller now...

Yw-slayer
February 22nd, 2022, 05:40 AM
TURB0!?1/?!?!!!11!