PDA

View Full Version : F1 2022 Season - "Big Wheels"

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

FaultyMario
August 16th, 2022, 09:03 PM
what i find baffling, though, is the reduction from eight to three exhausts per season.

Are they that expensive??

Rare White Ape
August 16th, 2022, 09:58 PM
Yes. Not just materials but in development. Lots of CFD and wind tunnel time goes into exhaust tuning.

JoeW
August 17th, 2022, 04:16 AM
I had hoped that they would go to a larger ICE and eliminate all the hybrid stuff while still using the more eco friendly fuel. It would be even simpler and cheaper…and a whole lot better for everyone as far as entertainment factor.

But it’s just not the direction or philosophy the engine builders want to be seen embracing.

Crazed_Insanity
August 17th, 2022, 06:29 AM
Do we know for sure that carbon neutral fuel is for real?

If so, F1 definitely should consider getting rid of electric stuffs…. and legacy manufacturers will probably use that to lobby against going full electric in the future…

So far, Europeans have banned ICEs in the future, so it’s understandable that they want further development on the electrical side rather than ignoring that completely? Beyond 2026, it should be clearer whether if this special fuel is really clean and cheap enough. If not, it’s probably unlikely to change the EV revolution anytime soon…

Kchrpm
August 17th, 2022, 06:58 AM
Carbon neutral or not, they want to show that the cars are moving in the same direction as their road cars, towards electricity. That's what is easier to sell to everyone involved in spending big money. Have no doubt, if the technology existed to switch to fully electric 1000 hp cars that could last 2 hours flat out, they would do it immediately. As soon as that tech does exist, that's what they will use. People will show up and watch for the speed regardless of the sound.

IMO the reality is that the TV mix has the commentators so loud and the cars so low that the engine note doesn't really matter unless you're watching them in person. But that's perhaps just my problem with the audio mixing of all motorsports coverage nowadays.

Freude am Fahren
August 17th, 2022, 07:51 AM
Yes. Not just materials but in development. Lots of CFD and wind tunnel time goes into exhaust tuning.

But the cut from 8 to 3 has no effect on the R&D side of things.

I wonder if when they say Exhaust, is it the entire thing out to the tip? Becuase I imagine the part out the back gest bent often and easily, but if they are only regulating everything from like the turbo outlet forward, that would make more sense. They could also mandate cheaper materials instead.

JoeW
August 17th, 2022, 08:28 AM
I guess we need to reiterate the term carbon net zero.

They are a long way from eliminating the use of dinosaurs completely. So going full electric, which can be powered completely by sources that are pollution free, is the future.

I agree in my head, but my heart still wants screaming v10s :)

JoeW
August 17th, 2022, 11:22 AM
Additional details about the ICE changes:

Target power output will be 536 horsepower, or about 38 percent less than that of the current V6s. Decreased fuel flow all but guarantees reduced engine revs, as well as reduced exhaust volume. These new engines will emphatically not be screamers, according to Scarborough.

JoeW
August 17th, 2022, 12:50 PM
Sorry for multiple posts…this popped up on my FB.

A photo of Kimi looking at his new Nascar vehicle with the caption:

Kimi Räikkönen has finally reached the top of the motorsports ladder, making his NASCAR Cup Series debut after spending many years in a development series called Formula 1.

Kchrpm
August 17th, 2022, 02:11 PM
Ha!

I wonder what level driver rating the best NASCAR drivers would get from the FIA. Gold at best?

Crazed_Insanity
August 17th, 2022, 02:27 PM
I guess we need to reiterate the term carbon net zero.

They are a long way from eliminating the use of dinosaurs completely. So going full electric, which can be powered completely by sources that are pollution free, is the future.

I agree in my head, but my heart still wants screaming v10s :)

EV batteries production probably will still produce carbons. Energy produced to charge those EVs may also be producing carbon. Unless we achieve fusion or consider more nuclear sources, not really sure renewable sources can fulfill all of our energy needs.

If we can really have affordable carbon neutral fuel, that might be our best option. Of course ideally it shouldn’t be based on fossil fuel because surely eventually we will run out of it…

Yeah, I wish F1 could also return to screaming engines. I don’t care about displacement or # of cylinders… just make them scream! ;)

JoeW
August 17th, 2022, 02:37 PM
I read the entire world could be powered by a solar farm the size of the Sonora desert. A very small area in comparison to the entire world.

So it is “possible” quite easily if we as a planet could just come together and fix shit.

FaultyMario
August 17th, 2022, 02:52 PM
Ha!

I wonder what level driver rating the best NASCAR drivers would get from the FIA. Gold at best?

Nascar Cup gives the same amount of points towards a FIA super license as DTM, WTCC and W series, or, half as many as F-E and F3.

Crazed_Insanity
August 17th, 2022, 05:49 PM
I read the entire world could be powered by a solar farm the size of the Sonora desert. A very small area in comparison to the entire world.

So it is “possible” quite easily if we as a planet could just come together and fix shit.

My entire roof top of my CA home wasn’t enough to cover my home usage, if I were to add 2 more EVs, that’d require more! For people living in apartment buildings, their roof areas definitely won’t be enough.

Anyway, CA also has a lot of deserts, maybe enough area/power for the entire nation. But sun sets and wind dies down, so we also need lots of batteries to store them energy. Are the production of all those things really carbon neutral? Not to mention they have end of life too. Can we really recycle all those panels and batteries? Or we’ll be dealing with a new set of problems?

Anyway, carbon neutral fuel would be a decent intermediate fix if it can really work… you’d also likely get your screaming f1 engine.

FaultyMario
August 17th, 2022, 05:58 PM
Power plants based around saline towers with gas burns in the off hours are almost as cost-efficient as nuclear power.

Take one large array of mirrors, point it towards a tower with a serpentine filled with a fluid that gains acceleration with temperature, make the fluid spin a generator, use gas burners to keep the fluid at a temperature that maintains momentum when the ambient cools off. Hybrid power, baby!

Since they're recent technology, I don't know if they have data for past break-even operation, but I'm going to guess that their on-going maintenance can't be more expensive than nuclear waste disposal.

Crazed_Insanity
August 17th, 2022, 09:13 PM
Anyway, I think we’re getting off topic here, but it kinda suck that liberals wants all in on green tech but conservatives want all out… and we really should aim for a middle ground. However I suppose left going left and right going right perhaps will result in some sort of middle ground?

I just don’t think EVs are ready for prime time just yet as demonstrated by FE. When EV tech is truly ready, F1 should be obsolete by then. F1 is really more reflective of the real world ATM. At current stage, plug-in hybrids are probably the better way to go… electric for urban driving and gas for long road trips. However, there aren’t that many plug-in hybrids on the market anymore…

Anyway, just hoping more of what F1 teams developed will be available on the road too.

Rare White Ape
August 17th, 2022, 11:05 PM
Just a reminder that 'carbon neutral' fuel still means there is heaps of greenhouse emissions in the air. If the current atmospheric load is causing the global temps to rise, then being carbon neutral is going to maintain that rise.

Carbon neutral fuel will be great if the overall level of CO2 emissions is reducing from other sources, and then we can continue burning fuel and making happy noises with screaming V10s. But since motorsport is seen as a dirty bad guy, it looks like motorsport has to lead a charge towards environmental friendliness.

Crazed_Insanity
August 18th, 2022, 09:53 AM
I think it's safe to say CA is one of the greenest states around? And as of 2018, 47% of its power are by natural gas. 9% nuclear. Rest are renewable greener sources. Natural gas is already one of the cleanest 'fuels' around and CA needs it because renewables just cannot supply enough power 24/7. Installing lots of batteries in the future may solve this problem. So CA is still carbon positive in terms of power generation. If we have more EVs on the road charging over night, guess which power source will need to be ramped up to meet the uptick in demand now?

Achieving overall carbon neutrality/negativity is the goal. Pushing for EVs won't necessarily solve our climate change problems.

To be honest, I'm kinda skeptical of carbon-neutral fuel, but hey, if that really works and if it's only a bit more expensive, that may be our solution to a lot of problems.

Formula E is clearly not quite Formula 1 yet. It'd be awesome if F-1 tech will help end up solving our climate problem.

FaultyMario
August 23rd, 2022, 04:42 PM
I don't know, I think Marcus has a point:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fa3xtibXoAAVmV9.png

Though, if Mick does move to AT, I wouldn't count on Tsunoda keeping his seat.

Crazed_Insanity
August 24th, 2022, 07:24 AM
If Alpine couldn't get Piastri, Ricciardo is naturally the best choice. I don't see Gasly nor Mick outperforming Ocon. But then again, Alpine has already tried Ricciardo before and it's not like he shined so brilliantly during those 2 years. So I can understand Alpine might want to infuse some fresher cheaper blood...

Piastri should be better than Zhou..., and so far Zhou hasn't been that impressive against Bottas. I personally would like Ricciardo there, but there's really no need for Alfa to have 2 'has been drivers', right? Settling for Haas might work out... maybe Ferrari driving characteristic suits Ricciardo very well... and if he totally kicks Kevin's butt, that could give Ferrari a glimpse of Ricciardo's true potential in a Ferrari...

Otherwise I guess it's probably game over for Ricciardo. :(

No point going back to AT at this stage of his career.

This is so unbelievable. RB driver program created a driver only capable of driving RB cars... Wonder if Max will suffer the same fate? Signing a multi-gazillion dollar deal to another big team and then totally flops like Ricciardo?

FaultyMario
August 24th, 2022, 07:32 AM
2 things, Gasly is French, Renault has always had a preference for French drivers.

Bottas has been impressive this year. I'd rank him ahead of Alonso and Russell (both more ineffective that they appear), Sainz (limited) and Perez (slumpy).

FaultyMario
August 24th, 2022, 07:35 AM
Ricciardo out at the end of the year is now official.

Crazed_Insanity
August 24th, 2022, 08:56 AM
OH man... what a shame. :(

Oh well. That is Formula 1.

Gasly being French is probably his biggest selling point for Alpine. Hope he does well there.

Bottas has definitely being impressive in Alfa, making the Chinese rookie look really bad. Kinda wish we have 2 experienced drivers so we can properly gauge the potential of the Alfas. Is Bottas driving the shit out of his car or there are possibly more to unlock?

Clearly for McLaren, even Lando acknowledged it as a shitty car. Luckily he's more adaptable to it.

Anyway, I feel that you're kinda harsh on George. He is still ahead of his more senior teammate in terms of points. Why do you say he's 'ineffective'? Alonso scoring less points than Ocon is a disappointment for sure. I also thought Perez has done well enough this season. He's only behind Max and Leclerc. I really thought Perez's career would be over way earlier, but it appears he will out last Ricciardo's.

If Horner fired Perez and give Ricciardo a chance to return, I suppose Ricciardo might do better than Perez, but as a #2, Perez is probably still a better choice. At least he hasn't crashed into Max, right?

Anyway, if I were Mr. Brown and hated Ricciardo that much... I'd just pay him the money and tell him to sit out for the rest of the season so that Piastri or whoever replacement can get some seat time. It's almost pointless to have a demoralized Ricciardo finish the season. Also, imagine this totally motivated him and ended up kicking Lando's ass near the end... :p

dodint
August 24th, 2022, 10:58 AM
Ricciardo out at the end of the year is now official.

Darn. What will Drive To Survive do with itself now that they won't have two boring episodes just for Dan every season.

Rare White Ape
August 24th, 2022, 03:21 PM
Out of McLaren or out of F1?

FaultyMario
August 24th, 2022, 03:52 PM
Out of Maca, he's expected to move to Haas F1.

Not to be confused with Stewart-Haas ;)

dodint
August 24th, 2022, 05:45 PM
I don't see why a team would want him.

JoeW
August 24th, 2022, 06:15 PM
He smiles a lot in pressers?

dodint
August 24th, 2022, 06:20 PM
Until he pouts and leaves to another mid pack team.

Australians are cool, why are their F1 drivers so insufferable?

FaultyMario
August 24th, 2022, 07:25 PM
Hey! Brandon's cool!

Rare White Ape
August 25th, 2022, 06:23 AM
Australians are cool, why are their F1 drivers so insufferable?

Coz only cunts go to F1 and hang out with rich people.

Crazed_Insanity
August 25th, 2022, 07:44 AM
Really? Ricciardo insufferable?

To me, it seems like RB was insufferable for favoring the unproven jr. teammate...
Renault was insufferable for building a lousy unreliable engine and still think they're all that...
Zak Brown was insufferable for building a lousy car and expect drivers to adapt to it and then blaming it on a guy who has actually won McLaren a race for him!

Ricciardo is a proven winner, it's a damn shame that the guy who pushed Vettel aside at RB may now follow Vettel out of the sport. Hope not...

Ricciardo is perhaps a giant disappointment if he exits the sport. :(

FaultyMario
August 26th, 2022, 06:52 AM
Audi confirmed as engine supplier from 2026.

not confirmed, but rumored, their intention to buy 75% of Sauber.

Rare White Ape
August 26th, 2022, 07:04 AM
That’s a nice rumour.

Ze Germans using Swiss hardware to battle other Germans who used to engage the services of the same Swiss outfit.

I like it.

Blerpa
August 26th, 2022, 07:52 AM
I always laugh at Billi's absolutes.
Anyway, Zak Brown did the right thing: Ricciardo is a MASSIVE disappointment, basically the epic fail of F1 drivers of last two seasons.
He is paid way more than Lando and has delivered 4 TIMES less points.
Blaming on Ricciardo? Mclaren has been even too soft on him.
80-90s Mclaren would have booted him out of the car mid season or even before like with Mansell or mediocre Michael Andretti.

The victory was a fluke and the team basically asked Lando to concede it to Ricciardo... I would have secured Lando more and got him score his first win, fuck the guy that is struggling especially if he's the one more expert and way overpaid, but I can see why they did that (and how it was utterly useless).

Ricciardo WAS a proven winner.
He is done.
And, differently from Nate, I like the guy.

EDIT: forgot, Alfa Romeo to leave Sauber by end of 2023. Audi Sauber F1 (or just Audi F1) is a done deal.

Crazed_Insanity
August 26th, 2022, 08:26 AM
Don’t get me wrong, the stats do speak for themselves… clearly Ricciardo is lacking. No argument there.

However, their contract was clearly not good for McLaren, right? Maybe nobody expected things to go this badly?

Anyway, point of my post was simply to state that I like the guy, glad you like him too.

Only thing I disagree with you is the win being a fluke. I thought he won’t that fair and square… over the other top teams and over Lando too. That raced was proof that his still unfulfilled potential.

Blerpa
August 26th, 2022, 09:57 AM
It is a big load of money that Mclaren did not expect to waste in this way.
Better to rescind it now and get on board a new young driver since Lando has gradually matured.
I won't mind Ricciardo doing well in the future, but I try to be realistic about his possibilities - his opportunities are in Alpine (although Gasly could be tempted, and he is french) and Haas.
Also Haas hasn't chosen anything, and Giovinazzi has resurfaced as another possible driver for them in the future.

Crazed_Insanity
August 26th, 2022, 10:11 AM
I am surprised there's no 'out-clause' for McLaren. To spend so much money with such horrendous results is unacceptable no matter how much we like Ricciardo for sure. Anyway, if I were Zak Brown, I'd rather just utilize this money spent to finish out the contract... rather than wasting all that money... paying him to go away.

Reality is that something is 'off' with the car too.When conditions are right, it's clear both of these drivers can do very well. Lando was complaining about the car too. Better approach is probably to work together to fix the car, rather then waste all that money and then hire a rookie.

Anyway, hope Piastri is really as good as Lando. If that's the case, then maybe dumping Ricciardo with all that money would end up being worth it. Eager to see how Piastri compares to Lando...

FaultyMario
August 26th, 2022, 10:53 AM
Anyway, Zak Brown did the right thing: Ricciardo is a MASSIVE disappointment, basically the epic fail of F1 drivers of last two seasons.
Blaming on Ricciardo? Mclaren has been even too soft on him.
80-90s Mclaren would have booted him out of the car mid season or even before like with Mansell or mediocre Michael Andretti.

Now that you mention it, Do you know why Dr. Zetsche fired Montoya? Was it because he had negotiated with Ganassi without informing them, like he didn't inform them of his "tennis" accident?

All I know is that the order didn't come from Ron, but directly from Mercedes.

FaultyMario
August 26th, 2022, 10:59 AM
Alfa Romeo to leave Sauber by end of 2023. Audi Sauber F1 (or just Audi F1) is a done deal.

I read somewhere that Stellantis do want to keep a brand in F1 but with Alfa becoming some sort of performance-electric poster boy for the group, it doesn't fit with F1's image anymore.

Like, they've tested the markets and people are really hot for electric Stelvios, I know it sounds dumb, but apparently they want to beat Tesla and Polestar in that niche.

JoeW
August 26th, 2022, 10:04 PM
Renovated Spa is amazing.

FaultyMario
August 27th, 2022, 07:21 AM
Ferrari.

JoeW
August 27th, 2022, 09:36 AM
The Ferrari mistake today wasn’t a game changer. But it’s still basic stuff.

Looking forward to a mixed up grid tomorrow.

I appreciate the type of gravel used in spa. The cars can drive out of them. Some tracks use that soft stuff that the cars just get buried in so easily.

FaultyMario
August 27th, 2022, 11:03 AM
sure impacts their strategy options tomorrow.

XHawkeye
August 27th, 2022, 02:52 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FbEt_p0WAAAuY6v.jpg

Alonso joining Audi in 2026 as a rookie (https://twitter.com/_SuperGT/status/1563081119871815681)

Freude am Fahren
August 27th, 2022, 03:27 PM
Flavio, is that you?

Crazed_Insanity
August 27th, 2022, 09:20 PM
Based on qualifying times, Max is in a league of his own!

It’s also nice to see Mercedes, Williams and McLaren so close together! Albon is quite amazing… blowing away his teammate like that…

Also was wondering why Bottas qualified so poorly this weekend, turned out that his team figured out a loophole to stay ahead of all those folks with back of the grid penalties. So clever! ;)

samoht
August 28th, 2022, 01:52 AM
Albon is quite amazing… blowing away his teammate like that…

So impressed with Alex Albon yesterday. To get the worst car in the championship standings into Q3 is amazing. I think it also suggests that Williams are moving forwards after a poor start to the new regs, and that Latifi's career is likely drawing to a close. (I have nothing against him, but he doesn't seem to be able to get the performance out of the car; think what it would do for the team if they had e.g. Russell and Albon driving).

FaultyMario
August 28th, 2022, 05:15 AM
Alonso.

FaultyMario
August 28th, 2022, 05:17 AM
And Russell shows what a traumatized piece of shit the spaniard is.

samoht
August 28th, 2022, 06:18 AM
The FIA insist that action to tackle porpoising is required on safety grounds:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/htwgiRffnx5_MDzLODRw7WMZWPjSd-8yGFSGF6tFIBYCNYh2ZtWe42yQbuK_DMrbbd7vJbMg06ub5R-uH1iRK2nJkldBoNompvHmqu5wmuvpY6_WD4JcmVEKiZNKiyOQY KoUKFvFCvt33UiUwDTfqUhgRdXf0r3SaxKdMo7Zes7Cg2x0Qgj Q5g4dZVhpn8cwqdWD3Ez0LXyAxP5h1ggfHwJPrm8cCQct0ix78 7qFz-1ccWl1iKmBlSK3nfqN9k3C3U4LX5SGNjo-NDoeAc4sVOo-sABomDbaacwnIgydYsKBpOg9hW2UpMljT1TXgS8TYv-F_s4-bbnttK-smYCyyY6I70LeJyBGUyCr6IXc6BGoqlbm95xqbWnG0KeMgE9ps qmPTKWeBtlb4ySXzuJbQzjcuPHf4cx-JgCMCPYTEfFKFE4x5QIuR7DuAA70ncajAs1GzcgRK-i0vW2N2uR4Ys_V4_N-_QK7o2SMKiUcamupw9m0j2AceSaoFHmU6gFgJvc61OVSbYj_gt yPAoCLx0-EsYiJBQWghKojl6h9IEXZBTIiYfqrzgOOFSgMKaNdwYgZovuOa DjN4brr6qk55I2bXARR1E7Zz9vdQUELMQXRDFDGwWU7aLPFG9q wIeoQ8pEgYD2rdmofmpm3mWD_0xqzKBRByyvZTeGFm32z_hQH6 aFqRMUGFwoQJJQpN56cGN4Wqh-ACL-am2cwyMld22MZ8ekb2OTeMVNvYO8ZfWPQvebow-Ldpj-ubSnqXNMcTndUQBl-o92yuxdYrTBWjGmhitiLu9lBvQ=w1240-h744-no?authuser=0

Blerpa
August 28th, 2022, 06:59 AM
I always find funny modern F1 rules: you are half a car ahead, you are inside the correct side of the bend, so the other driver should concede and slow down (like it was for F1 drivers in the 60s and they would come to your pit after the race to smash your teeth in if you did not) BUT... it is a racing incident and even the driver penalized by the arsehole actions' says it is his fault.
I just can't.

Ferrari shows hopes for the likes of slow drivers like me in sim racing: even I can do better and concoct better strategies.

FaultyMario
August 28th, 2022, 08:02 AM
Alonso.

I was under the impression that it had been 100% Hamilton's fault. Then I saw the incident from Perez's onboard.

Dude, the guy beat you in his rookie year, get over it, it's way past time you did.

FaultyMario
August 28th, 2022, 08:05 AM
@Thomas: Linky no worky.

JoeW
August 28th, 2022, 08:58 AM
I loved Alonso’s comments after Hamilton binned himself. Good stuff.

I thought porpoising had been all but eradicated but wow was Ferrari bouncing around.

Some good racing mixed in there. Williams straight line speed was causing havoc down the grid.

Tired of Merc whining about having the shittiest car since blah blah and still putting it P4. Every other team would kill to have your car.

samoht
August 28th, 2022, 09:04 AM
@Thomas: Linky no worky.

thanks, have tried again (!)

JoeW
August 28th, 2022, 09:10 AM
And Ferrari was delusional thinking LeClerc could get fast lap on a set of used soft tires…and then putting him out behind Alonso was hilarious.

And in the end it cost him P5 due to pit speed violation.

FaultyMario
August 28th, 2022, 09:32 AM
I loved Alonso’s comments after Hamilton binned himself. Good stuff.

Thing is, he didn't bin himself. I fucking hate how dirty Alonso races Hamilton, plus he's super clever, he knows how to hide it*. Did you see how he raced other people on that same corner?

It's sick, that man is insane in the membrain.

*I'd rather not discuss it anymore, bc I feel i can't prove what my intuition is telling me.

JoeW
August 28th, 2022, 10:28 AM
Well it’s no surprise I completely disagree with you on who was at fault there. Even the former F1 racer announcers say it was Hamilton’s fault.

I watched all the angles as well….I think your hatred of Alonso and reverence of Hamilton may be clouding your judgement a bit.

Even Hamilton admitted fault. Not that it matters.

FaultyMario
August 28th, 2022, 11:14 AM
I think your hatred of Alonso and reverence of Hamilton may be clouding your judgement a bit.

More of the former, less of the latter. I can't stand that asshole.

JoeW
August 28th, 2022, 12:19 PM
I am sorry that he has put you through this. It is undeserved. And you have to put up with him for two more seasons likely.

On a side note, I want to say I was surprised by the slow pace of the Ferraris…or the speed of the Mercedes…or the lack of pace of Perez…but honestly it was just that Max was on fire.

Rare White Ape
August 28th, 2022, 01:55 PM
Two things:

1. Alonso would have lost nothing by giving Hamilton the line, as he would have clearly passed him by the time the two of them exited Les Coombes had they not collided. But instead he forced the unnecessary side-by-side by maintaining his speed into the apex. He has a right to be there but it’s not very gentlemanly.

2. Hamilton misjudged Alonso’s position (presumably because he didn’t expect Alonso to be there, see above). If he was more careful he could have left an extra two feet of room and sealed the deal in the subsequent corners.

So, according to F1’s current shitty video game rules it’s Hamilton’s fault, but according to almost everyone else’s rules it’s Alonso’s fault.

And I think they need to tone down the DRS a tad. It’s not very exciting.

JoeW
August 28th, 2022, 02:08 PM
I haven't seen a single pundit say it was Alonso's fault. The Sky F1 guys all said it was no fault to Alonso. And I agree. And Hamilton agrees. To-may-to, to-mah-to. No penalties applied so apparently FIA thinks no fault to either.

Rare White Ape
August 28th, 2022, 03:27 PM
Yes that is merely stating fact.

I’m trying to highlight the shit racecraft seen in F1 a lot of the time, which is encouraged by the rules. It’s spreading like a disease to the junior open wheel categories and someone’s going to get hurt because of it.

A good example is (I think) an F3 race in Abu Dhabi last year, and the F3 crash at Blachimont on Friday. While I haven’t seen too much about the Friday crash, my initial reaction is to wonder why that driver tried to go two-wide on a very fast and dangerous part of the circuit.

FaultyMario
August 28th, 2022, 04:32 PM
And you have to put up with him for two more seasons likely.

https://i.imgflip.com/6rgvdp.jpg

Crazed_Insanity
August 28th, 2022, 08:36 PM
Re: HAM and Alonso, I really see it as racing incident. HAM really didn’t have to shut the door so much and Alonso really didn’t have to stick his nose in there…, but this is what multi champs do? Expecting the other driver to yield to them? Racers who are too nice and yield too much on track likely won’t be champs? ;)

FaultyMario
August 29th, 2022, 12:33 PM
Ferrari.

Harsh. (https://twitter.com/i/status/1564336662855008258)

JoeW
August 29th, 2022, 02:46 PM
So good

XHawkeye
August 29th, 2022, 03:41 PM
Spa in a nutshell (https://twitter.com/F1_Images/status/1563905301564342273) <--- Open for video

Crazed_Insanity
August 29th, 2022, 07:57 PM
:lol:

JoeW
September 1st, 2022, 04:20 AM
I saw something, likely from a rag, about Ricciardo going to Alpine. Can’t find anything else on it so probably fake.

Crazed_Insanity
September 1st, 2022, 10:57 PM
Ferrari should just make a ‘pit strategy’ call to fire Leclerc and sign Ricciardo ! ;)

Blerpa
September 2nd, 2022, 02:20 AM

FaultyMario
September 2nd, 2022, 03:41 AM
No wonder he suffers from short-guy syndrome, he is smaller than Bottas.

https://okdiario.com/img/2017/08/21/mercedes-hamilton-bottas.jpg

Blerpa
September 2nd, 2022, 06:13 AM
Fuck you Alpine.
Fuck you Otmar.

Piastri to race for McLaren F1 in 2023 after CRB ruling
McLaren has confirmed Oscar Piastri will race for the team in 2023 and beyond after Formula 1’s Contract Recognition Board ruled in its favour this week. (https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclaren-confirms-piastri-for-f1-2023-after-crb-ruling/10362083/)

FaultyMario
September 2nd, 2022, 06:46 AM
Blerpa beat me to it.

What are you angry about? Do you not want Piastri in your team?

FaultyMario
September 2nd, 2022, 06:56 AM
FIA is trialing new mirror specs for next year on the Merc.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fbo_flVX0AMn0nk.jpg

The size is a bit ridiculous if you ask me, they should be moving towards electronic systems, imho. Because road-car relevance.

Rare White Ape
September 2nd, 2022, 07:01 AM
http://www.imcdb.org/i200242.jpg

Crazed_Insanity
September 2nd, 2022, 07:45 AM
If we can combine Ferrari designers and Mercedes race strategists, then perhaps RB would not be out in front like this.

Point is Mercedes is really ugly and they seemed to commit to their ugly design... similarly Ferrari is really stupid and they seemed to commit to their stupidity.

Both Max and Sergio are running away from the field now. Really hope this same boring show won't continue til the end of the season...

Crazed_Insanity
September 2nd, 2022, 07:46 AM

What is the meaning of this photo?

Kchrpm
September 2nd, 2022, 08:55 AM
Alonso apologized for what he said on the radio about Hamilton.

samoht
September 2nd, 2022, 09:43 AM
Fuck you Alpine.
Fuck you Otmar.

Piastri to race for McLaren F1 in 2023 after CRB ruling
McLaren has confirmed Oscar Piastri will race for the team in 2023 and beyond after Formula 1’s Contract Recognition Board ruled in its favour this week. (https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclaren-confirms-piastri-for-f1-2023-after-crb-ruling/10362083/)

https://i.imgflip.com/6s0jce.jpg

JoeW
September 3rd, 2022, 12:01 PM
Zandvoort looks like one of the most challenging tracks to drive on the entire calendar.

Crazed_Insanity
September 3rd, 2022, 02:39 PM
Looks like a fun track to drive on… ;)

A lot of banking around turns making it almost like an oval track. Wish it’s wider for better racing.

Kchrpm
September 4th, 2022, 06:05 AM
The fuck Tsunoda/Alpha Tauri...

FaultyMario
September 4th, 2022, 06:06 AM
Now, this is some variability.

Kchrpm
September 4th, 2022, 06:26 AM
The fuck Russell...

FaultyMario
September 4th, 2022, 07:46 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fb0Zyf3X0AA0fxY.png

FaultyMario
September 4th, 2022, 07:53 AM
Colton Herta to Alpha Tauri if the FIA grant him a Superlicense.

Gasly to Alpine, then.

Crazed_Insanity
September 4th, 2022, 09:28 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fb0Zyf3X0AA0fxY.png

Oh come on, this time it wasn’t the fault of the race director, right?

Rare White Ape
September 4th, 2022, 01:59 PM
So, is Russell going to come 2nd in the drivers championship this year or what?

And LeClerc, like… 5th?

JoeW
September 4th, 2022, 02:21 PM
Quote of the day:

Sainz…”oh my god”. Such frustration in his tone.

Some good racing in there today.

Hamilton only had himself to blame for starting so damn early after the safety car. That was dumdedumdum. Should have started at the damn line. Max would have gone by eventually but not on the first lap. Tricky to strategize for this race…can’t plan for VSC, SC etc.

I love Binottos interviews more than any other boss. So frank and earnest.

dodint
September 4th, 2022, 06:21 PM
You can plan for VSC if you order one.

JoeW
September 4th, 2022, 06:31 PM
Is there an app or a drive thru window to order those?

FaultyMario
September 4th, 2022, 08:20 PM
Is there an app or a drive thru window to order those?

Yes, but it's region-locked to Austria.

FaultyMario
September 4th, 2022, 08:26 PM
Meme, in case the sarcasm wasn't enough.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fb0UYAdWYAAJ7Pk.jpg

JoeW
September 5th, 2022, 06:43 AM
I do love the hilarious conspiracy theories.

FaultyMario
September 5th, 2022, 06:59 AM
Which is why I hate alonso. In his particular case, they're not theories.

JoeW
September 5th, 2022, 07:09 AM
What did he do yesterday to affect the race? Don’t remember him doing anything in particular to affect the outcome.

And I imagined most of you to be reasonably intelligent adults but to think all these things are being controlled by one team is more Trumpian in nature and sounds more like sour grapes than something that could actually be orchestrated without detection considering how many people would have to be involved to make it happen. And the sheer scope of how bad it would look for said teams and the entire F1 in general considering said team already has the championship in the bag. Is it worth completely destroying your entire organization and the series for another few points?

You guys are losing it…might as well reinstate Trump because the election was rigged…

FaultyMario
September 5th, 2022, 08:25 AM
What did he do yesterday to affect the race?

This race? nothing, it was just a comment explaining myself.

I mean, I've been making fun of the tinfoil opinions correlating some on-track action with Verstappen capitalizing on the VSC. I think they're idiotic commentary, but they're silly fun, specially when they're making fun of Toto for their fumble.

Anyway, as I said, most of the time they're conspiranoid ideas, except when it comes to Alonso, those are proven facts, but he still acts like he's above it. I hate that cupid stunt!

FaultyMario
September 5th, 2022, 09:21 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fb6G_q7WIAAeYtk.jpg

JoeW
September 5th, 2022, 09:22 AM
Ok Roger! I would like to issue a retraction based on my misunderstanding of your comments :)

There were a couple of places in the race where Alonso showed his intent to create a “situation” where many would avoid. The Sainz unsafe release…Alonso could have avoided the minor contact.

Another time he was going around the outside of another driver at T1 and accelerated to stay out there way beyond where most would have backed out…which made it look like he was run off the track.

I see what you mean for sure :)

Crazed_Insanity
September 5th, 2022, 10:06 PM
Whenever a teammate or jr team causes a yellow flag that helped you win a race, can you really blame the rise of conspiracy theories?

It was also kinda unthinkable that a son of a world champ would help Alonso win by crashing out too …

Anyway, Ham and Mercedes need to work harder at blocking Max when encountering these kind of situations again and again… intentional or not, HAM was fucked.

At least no championship’s on the line there…

FaultyMario
September 6th, 2022, 09:31 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fb-ssK5WIAIoHSH.jpg

Crazed_Insanity
September 6th, 2022, 09:52 AM
Need to define the fuck in different color better. Fuck can have multiple meanings.

The fuck Tsunoda/Alpha Tauri...

The fuck Russell...

Kchrpm
September 6th, 2022, 10:27 AM
It means "what the fuck are you doing, ____?"

Crazed_Insanity
September 6th, 2022, 10:34 AM
I know, Yuki/AT fucked up!

However, Russell fucking beat Hamilton!

Kchrpm
September 6th, 2022, 10:40 AM
Yes, I was thinking from the "let's play defense together" angle, but Max was SO much faster than them on Mediums, it ended up being the smart move and they never really had a chance at the win at that point. Mercedes should have double stacked a switch to softs, instead Hamilton trusted the strategists and Russell did not. Russell was right!

dodint
September 6th, 2022, 11:10 AM
As much as I don't like Perez, I think he's dirty as fuck, I wish Russell wasn't such a fucking doormat. He practically rolls out the red carpet to let people by so they can catch Hamilton. Perez will run a bitch off the road to keep people away from Max, it's the least he can do given he's impotent as a racer.

Freude am Fahren
September 6th, 2022, 11:54 AM
Russell's just so used to being passed under Blues, he'll get used to it eventually, lol.

I really don't think the problem was letting Russell pit, it was NOT pitting hamilton. I think they would have gone 3-4 at best instead of 2-4 if Russell stayed on mediums.

Kchrpm
September 6th, 2022, 12:17 PM
I agree, Freude. I was confused and angry at Russell at that point, but with Max's pace it became clear that Russell was right and the team was wrong.

FaultyMario
September 6th, 2022, 01:39 PM
If we had to travel from Holland to Monza, we'll burn the transport... Do you prefer we use extinguisher or we watch it burn?, question.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fb-MlDzXwAEu_ip.jpg

Crazed_Insanity
September 6th, 2022, 01:47 PM
Hotter it burns, faster the horse will prance! Giddyup, giddyup!

I still hope that they'll be able to finally reach their full potential at Monza. It's too boring otherwise...

Crazed_Insanity
September 7th, 2022, 10:04 AM
Just saw a video of the restart... Max did a very good job with that rolling restart, but I really think Hamilton needs to play defense better.

Senna was pretty awesome at keeping faster cars behind them. In this area, I think HAM is lacking... or perhaps newer safety rules along with DRS makes defending very hard nowadays?

Nevertheless, I think HAM could've restarted better during that last race. Also, if Mercedes still had Bottas, surely he would've also given Hamilton additional buffer.

That Russell should've gone to Ferrari... so that he can override their stupid strategies and still win races.

CudaMan
September 7th, 2022, 10:18 AM
The Mercedeses just couldn't defend against the much faster RedBull at the end of the main straight. Didn't matter where they put their car. They would have had to do some sneaky risky stuff that the FIA would have frowned upon.

I was a little surprised Lewis didn't brake late as possible and run himself all the way out in the banking of turn 1, to really screw Max. He did seem a little soft this race in general after the first corner first lap.

Lorry maintenance one of the first things to get cutbacks in the budget cap era?

Lorries aside, if Ferrari keeps this up much longer they are going to lose the "everybody dreams to drive for Ferrari" cachet they've had for ages.

CudaMan
September 7th, 2022, 10:19 AM
Also, the cars really need to be lighter and more nimble. Probably smaller too. Any chance of that happening with the '26 engine regs?

Freude am Fahren
September 7th, 2022, 10:59 AM
I think not. The goal was "no bigger or heavier" I think. Not smaller or lighter.

Crazed_Insanity
September 7th, 2022, 10:59 AM
As long as they only limit growth and not limit getting smaller and lighter, then there's always hope teams will begin to downsize. Naturally smaller and lighter should yield to faster cars. Anyway, don't really know the rules... just hoping they won't have such rigid rules forcing teams to stay within the same big size...

Just out of curiosity, if the slower Mercedes were to truly demonstrate team work by driving both cars side by side during the race so other cars cannot pass... would that be against the rules? :D

FaultyMario
September 7th, 2022, 11:41 AM
Naturally smaller and lighter should yield to faster cars.

Not the case with wing cars, as demonstrated in the last decade.

Rare White Ape
September 7th, 2022, 12:10 PM
Porsche/Red Bull news:

Seems like RB doesn’t want Porsche owning 50% of the team and having too much influence, so that deal is off the table.

Probably the right move from RB. Now Porsche will have to explore other avenues.

FaultyMario
September 7th, 2022, 01:28 PM
back in the Honda saddle again?

Mibe-San has hinted at that desire. they've also said that because their f1 power unit has been a joint corporate effort for them, the resulting technology is a showcase of all their power products.

My lecture of that is that they can use F1 not to sell luxury cars, like the rest of them, but rather mini jets.

FaultyMario
September 7th, 2022, 02:53 PM
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/racefansdotnet-22-09-07-14-55-08-1-1536x1024.jpg

:popcorn:

dodint
September 7th, 2022, 02:57 PM
Further proof they can not do anything right.

Also, C5 Corvette ketchup mustard vibes.

Crazed_Insanity
September 7th, 2022, 03:09 PM
back in the Honda saddle again?

Mibe-San has hinted at that desire. they've also said that because their f1 power unit has been a joint corporate effort for them, the resulting technology is a showcase of all their power products.

My lecture of that is that they can use F1 not to sell luxury cars, like the rest of them, but rather mini jets.

Oh com'on, how can Honda Jet have anything to do with F1 technologically? Maybe only the turbo part?

It would be foolish of Honda to throw all of their investments away like last time. So maybe this is good for Honda.

Anyway, from Porsche's perspective, I see nothing wrong with wanting a 50/50 partnership. However, it is clear at least RB doesn't need an engine supplier for now...

Since Audi is partnering with Sauber after Alfa leaves, wonder what Porsche will do now? Maybe this is the golden opportunity Andretti Racing is waiting for?

JoeW
September 8th, 2022, 09:00 AM
Oh shit Billi. Your boy might be getting a Mercedes ride soon. Here come all the championships you think he should have had. Better late than never…

Ricciardo to Mercedes apparently a possibility.

dodint
September 8th, 2022, 09:01 AM
I'd love for him to go there and get obliterated by George.

Crazed_Insanity
September 8th, 2022, 09:16 AM
I think it's clear George is the real deal based on his performances so far. GOAT is obviously not as G as he supposed to be! :p

However, I wish Mercedes were still dominating as before because I think HAM is usually more motivated when championship is on the line. He only lost out to Rosberg once..., but during a non-champ contending season, Hamilton has consistently lose out to his teammates, such as Button.

I think Vettel is kinda the same... when RB is no longer dominating, he lost out to Ricciardo. These multi-champs seem to have the special ability to step up a notch when it counts on a consistent basis. When they can't win, they don't seem to care as much. :p

Anyway, if Ham retires, it'd be nice to see how Russell compares with Ricciardo.

Still, having seeing Ricciardo not doing well in a Renault and McLaren at least compared to his teammates, should we really expect Ricciardo to be able to kick Russell's ass now that he has the experiences and the confidence of beating the GOAT? It'd be an awesome come back if that happens. Ricciardo does seem to have this win when it counts mentality now as well. When McLaren could win a race, he certainly made it count on Monza last time!

BTW, my boy is still MAX! Leclerc and Russell are my 2 other favorites now. Ricciardo just has this sentimental values for me. I don't particularly enjoy watching him drink out of his shoe, but I do love his smile! :D

Rare White Ape
September 8th, 2022, 10:27 PM
Oh shit Billi. Your boy might be getting a Mercedes ride soon. Here come all the championships you think he should have had. Better late than never…

Ricciardo to Mercedes apparently a possibility.

You can't see the furrowed brow I am pulling right now, but be assured it is furrowed, and the eyebrows are tilted with the zesty taint of skepticism.

Rare White Ape
September 9th, 2022, 04:54 AM
Ferrari's Monza livery looks cool, with liberal splashes of yellow on the central fin and the wings.

https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fom-website/manual/Misc/2022manual/2022Races/ItalianGP/Pre-race/AHZQBF_SF_CAR11-1920x0_HHXUWI.jpg.transform/9col/image.jpg

Reminds me of the 80s and 90s where they would run large yellow colour blocks to denote the 2nd car.

https://img.redbull.com/images/c_fill,g_auto,w_640,h_426/q_auto,f_auto/redbullcom/2013/09/06/1331610280321_2/michele-alboreto-gerhard-berger-monza-1988-italian-grand-prix

As we all know, the yellow is run as a tribute to the town of Modena, where Ferrari calls home. It's 100 also years since the Monza circuit entered service, and 75 years since the first Ferrari was made in a little factory in Modena.

FaultyMario
September 9th, 2022, 05:46 AM
Porsche/Red Bull news:

Seems like RB doesn’t want Porsche owning 50% of the team and having too much influence, so that deal is off the table.

Probably the right move from RB. Now Porsche will have to explore other avenues.

Deal officially dead. As per Porsche's communique. (https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2022/motorsports/porsche-ag-red-bull-gmbh-no-partnership-formula-1-29660.html)

Blerpa
September 9th, 2022, 05:54 AM
Yellow is also the original Ferrari colour. Red was only the national colour (Italy's colour has always been light blue/azure but french snagged it from them back then).
Ferrari lacks of courage shows as usual even in tribute liveries.
Just a splashed fin and driver suits. Meh. Half assed effort.

What Senna did back in the days blocking is not allowed by actual F1 rules.

FaultyMario
September 9th, 2022, 07:26 AM
The Long-F logo does look cool, I must say.

FaultyMario
September 9th, 2022, 07:27 AM
Ascari ranks among my top 3 corners in all of motorsports.

Crazed_Insanity
September 9th, 2022, 08:58 AM
What Senna did back in the days blocking is not allowed by actual F1 rules.

Really? Even back then too?

Back in the days, I for sure paid no attention to the rules, I was just watching Senna! :p

Senna was perhaps showing his age or perhaps his latest Williams was just too hard to drive. Just like Hamilton now, the youngsters are just beating him left and right. Schuey was clearly faster… just as Max and George are now clearly faster.

Freude am Fahren
September 9th, 2022, 10:07 AM
The Ferrari wing looks great. Halo, numbers look good too. The engine cover is a very weak effort.

JoeW
September 9th, 2022, 11:00 AM
More yellow please. A splash isn’t good enough especially if the drivers are in full yellow suits.

Crazed_Insanity
September 9th, 2022, 03:37 PM
I thought Ferrari looks decent. I’d rather they race good rather than just look good. Hope they can turn around soon. I hate to see AlanP dropping like a brick in our fantasy league… ;)

Crazed_Insanity
September 11th, 2022, 10:17 AM
Race had such a lousy end so nobody care to comment? :D

JoeW
September 11th, 2022, 10:31 AM
Yeah no point…

Crazed_Insanity
September 11th, 2022, 03:10 PM
They really need to fix this kind of end with a consistent set of rules… such as just stopping the race and then let there be a final lap of green racing and all given a set of softs?

It is kinda amazing that under such circumstances, no matter what race control does, Max always end up with the long end of the stick!

FaultyMario
September 11th, 2022, 04:51 PM
The VSC/SC were just ill-timed.

Oh well, such is racing.

I think they favored Sainz the most and Norris the least.

JoeW
September 11th, 2022, 05:05 PM
Well this time Max was a mile ahead of Charles when Ricciardo pulled over. If they would have been able to get a lap in then Max would have lost the most of anyone.

But I definitely wish they could have a mandatory 3-5 green flag laps in the event that an incident would cause the race to end under SC or VSC.

dodint
September 11th, 2022, 06:28 PM
IF SC
AND < 5 laps remain
THEN Red Flag

Boom, solved.

Add in a standing restart for maximum lulz.

Crazed_Insanity
September 11th, 2022, 09:45 PM
Well this time Max was a mile ahead of Charles when Ricciardo pulled over. If they would have been able to get a lap in then Max would have lost the most of anyone.

But I definitely wish they could have a mandatory 3-5 green flag laps in the event that an incident would cause the race to end under SC or VSC.

Max should get a taste of what it felt like to be Hamilton, without the championship on the line. If Leclerc could pull off a win, tifosis would be very happy! :)

Rare White Ape
September 12th, 2022, 03:07 AM
At least make the decision before the leader passes pit lane.

Or make the decision part of the ruuuuuuuules, not some agreed-to nonsense in the name of TV excitement.

Do any of that, to maintain fairness and consistency. But whatever you do, don't copy anything from NASCAR or other North American series, even if they're good ideas.

Yobbo NZ
September 12th, 2022, 03:51 AM
They also cocked up the feature race in F2. Lawson and Armstrong passed the pit entry, then they decided to go with a safety car. Guess what, those behind dived into the pits and got a free pass.

dodint
September 12th, 2022, 05:19 AM
I skipped watching over a year of F1 because of my frustration with the unfairness of pitting under the SC/VSC. I'd be much happier if they closed the pits during VSC and the first few laps of SC (until the field is bunched up). And with no refueling, there wouldn't even need to be a concern about emergency pitting (unless you picked up a puncture driving over someone's debris).

FaultyMario
September 12th, 2022, 08:18 AM
North American series, even if they're good ideas.

Beesh!

Indycar's rules are pretty fair. Like the one for causing a red flag in qualifying.

Freude am Fahren
September 13th, 2022, 09:53 AM
Listening to some of the podcasts from newbies to F1, has been annoying after this race.

This was consistent with the rules. Abu Dhabi was the outlier, not this race. There was nothing that could have been done at the point after the SC was deployed and the car took longer to move.

No don't throw a red flag at that point for better racing.

No don't bring the Safety car in on the last lap even though the field isn't bunched back up.

NO DO NOT ADD LAPS. You'd just get a bunch of DNF's due to fuel.

Sure throw the Red right away, but don't go chaning your mind for "the show".

The real problem here IMO was the safety car deployment. Seemed to take forever to come out and grab the field, then when it did, it was the wrong car. So it took way too long to get the field back in order. Even with the problem moving the McLaren, if they had deployed the SC in front of Max the first time he came across the front straight after the SC notice, then we would have had 1-3 laps of green probably.

Have they said why it took so long?

JoeW
September 13th, 2022, 12:59 PM
Yeah I think the main issue was picking up Russell first. Once they let him go and then finally picked up P1, they all had to drive all the way around again. But since it’s a SC they had to go slow. So that process took forever along with Danny’s car not being able to be put in neutral…just sucked the rest of the laps out of the race.

No big deal…like you said, it was really done by the book except for the Russell thing.

Crazed_Insanity
September 13th, 2022, 02:37 PM
Why do they still need safety car? Or why bother having VSC?

Why couldn’t whoever in P1 be the SC?

For manufacturers to show off their new cars, they could easily have polyphony digital version of AR cars on the screen.

This mistake really shouldn’t have happened.

At least the win was well deserved… and luckily Ricciardo is no longer a RB driver! ;)

Freude am Fahren
September 13th, 2022, 03:36 PM
The safety car is to bunch up the field so that there is a large gap that allows marshalls or machines to get on/off/across the track.

Crazed_Insanity
September 13th, 2022, 07:55 PM
Just give that job to whoever’s at P1 to slow people down. Team’s responsibility is to tell their drivers who is P1. Also, once there’s full course yellow, no more passing! You’ll stay behind whoever’s in front. Lapped cars shall remain lapped.

FIA and Ferrari apparently are run by the same idiot boss apparently and continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

JoeW
September 13th, 2022, 08:21 PM
Oh boy...

Blerpa
September 14th, 2022, 09:34 AM
Just give that job to whoever’s at P1 to slow people down. Team’s responsibility is to tell their drivers who is P1. Also, once there’s full course yellow, no more passing! You’ll stay behind whoever’s in front. Lapped cars shall remain lapped.

No. It ain't 1968 anymore.

Felipe Drugovich is the new Aston Martin reserve driver for 2023.
Felipe will do FP1 at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (substituting for Lance Stroll) and the Young Driver Test with Aston Martin at Yas Marina in November.

Blerpa
September 16th, 2022, 06:34 AM
No Colton Herta at Alpha Tauri.
Now Gasly will probably stay put and Alpine will look elsewhere.

Crazed_Insanity
September 16th, 2022, 07:11 AM
So Gasly is scared of making the same mistake as Ricciardo?

Gee... Gasly's situation is a bit different, isn't it? He has made it to RB, but got demoted back, unlike Ricciardo. Plus, as a French, wouldn't it be great to drive for a French manufacturer?

Even if Gasly were promoted to RB again, is he sure that he'll be able to defeat Max this time around to win the championship?

Or is Alpine so screwed up that not even a French driver wants to join voluntarily?

Blerpa
September 16th, 2022, 07:25 AM
No, RB does not have a worthy youngster to put at the seat of Gasly if the frenchman goes.
So, it is RB retaining him.

Also... why someone mid to high level in F1 would want to go to Alpine?

Crazed_Insanity
September 16th, 2022, 07:35 AM
Yeah, just saying if I were him and if I were French and presented with 2 of those options, I think I'd pick Alpine. Even for this year. Alpine has scored 125 points vs AT's 33.

Of course Alonso decided AM, who scored even less points than AT, is the better option for him. For Alonso, he just wants to grab as much cash as possible during the twilight of his career. I can't believe Alpine couldn't afford to pay Gasly more money than AT. Anyway, if Alpine hesitates like they did with Piastri and AT ended up signing/retaining Gasly 1st, then I guess that makes sense. Still, I hope Gasly got a big raise for staying knowing AT has not other options available?

Blerpa
September 19th, 2022, 09:54 PM
"Much has been written and said about the infamous 2007 Formula 1 season that saw Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton share the McLaren garage, but now some juicy details have been revealed by a former McLaren mechanic claiming the former paid mechanics for their loyalty."

Alonso paid McLaren mechanics to support him not Hamilton (https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/09/19/alonso-paid-mclaren-mechanics-to-support-him-not-hamilton/)

Rare White Ape
September 20th, 2022, 01:38 AM
And how did that work out for him?

Crazed_Insanity
September 20th, 2022, 07:55 AM
Some commenters below that article were saying it was simply Alonso sharing his racing bonus with his team members. It would've been shadier if secret money were handed to Hamilton's mechanics to sabotage him...

Anyway, I have to say, what's the point of exposing this "horrible" story now? To ruin his career at Aston Martin? :lol: Who really gives a damn about Alonso at this stage? Other than the folks at Renault/Alpine? Wouldn't be surprised to hear bad shit about Piastri too.

It is kinda sad to see Alonso and Renault end on such a bad note like this. They gave each other 2 championships... Alonso really should've retired long ago.

Blerpa
September 20th, 2022, 08:12 AM

Exactly.

I only reported the article.
Mclaren did not like it one bit... a driver so in control of half the team and handing money behind the back of the team is not exactly nice, on top of all the shenanigans going on that whole season.

Anyway Alonso is still doing better than half the grid. Too bad he is expensive and an asshole. The talent is still there.

Crazed_Insanity
September 20th, 2022, 08:47 AM
Yeah, there's no denying that in order to be a multi-champ, you have to be talented enough... otherwise surely your teammate will beat you.

As for scandals, McLaren doesn't have to pretend that they're squeaky clean. I don't know the details of the spy-gate, but McLaren was caught "red" handed.

Of course, scandals tend to follow Alonso around too, such as crash-gate... maybe Alonso is just a bad influence. Again, who really cares? I respect the guy for his 'talent', but I never really liked him. The guy really should've retired so young stars can get the opportunity.

FaultyMario
September 20th, 2022, 02:51 PM

Didn't Hamilton break the peace first? Guns were drawn out in Hungary but there was some incident in (Canada?) before that.

FaultyMario
September 20th, 2022, 02:53 PM
Also, the 2023 calendar has been finalized. 24 events is stupid, considering they race from April to November. 3 GPs per month is too much.

IMHO 20 events per season would be perfect.

Blerpa
September 21st, 2022, 03:27 AM
FIA being FIA has put SPA F1 race at the weekend of the 29-30th of July.
What's the problem?
That was the scheduled weekend for the 24 Hours of Spa in GT World Endurance.
So a couple of hours later...

https://i.imgur.com/ws5qXzm.jpg

:assclown:

dodint
September 21st, 2022, 05:33 AM
Missed opportunity. A 24 WEC race with a 2 hour F1 race running in the middle at the same time would've been awesome.

Crazed_Insanity
September 21st, 2022, 07:37 AM

That'd certainly be interesting to watch!

Rare White Ape
September 23rd, 2022, 08:22 PM
Probably the boringest part of the 2023 silly season is now in play: Latifi out from Williams at the end of 2022.

FaultyMario
September 24th, 2022, 05:59 AM
Latifi out from Williams at the end of 2022.

Tribute to the GOAT. (https://twitter.com/f1trolls_/status/1573663195667070976?s=20&t=upP4x_ovoza-G_qBZ7vqXw)

CudaMan
September 26th, 2022, 01:31 PM
Interesting video, I did not know half of this stuff (especially the irony of the current Superlicense system coming in as a result of Max entering F1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UDCmT55s2s

Blerpa
September 30th, 2022, 05:31 AM
Yet silly season: Gasly to Alpine, De Vries to substitute him at Alpha Tauri. Ricciardo on a sabbatical year, offering himself as a reserve driver to Mercedes.

Rare White Ape
September 30th, 2022, 02:55 PM
Ricciardo has apparently been approached by Trackhouse to do some NASCAR stuff, so watch that space.

Trackhouse is the same team that Raikkonen drove for at Watkins Glen a few weeks ago.

JoeW
September 30th, 2022, 04:15 PM
I’m curious about that with Kimi. All that hype and he only ran one race? I thought he was going to race several. Seems like a lot of hassle for one outing and no practice.

Rare White Ape
September 30th, 2022, 05:03 PM
He was only planning to do the one event on a road course. He also spent a few days at VIR running the Cup car in a special extra test session allowed by NASCAR.

Daniil Kvyat ran the Watkins race as well as Indy road course a few weeks prior.

Yobbo NZ
September 30th, 2022, 05:30 PM
Shane Van Gisbergen has also been mentioned to have a drive also.

JoeW
September 30th, 2022, 05:31 PM
Sooo this whole budget cap thing looks like it could get ugly for RBR. Curious how far the FIA will go to punish this transgression.

Blerpa
October 1st, 2022, 05:45 AM
Confirmed De Vries at Alpha Tauri, Gasly at Alpine.
Sargeant at Williams alongside Albon.
1 seat left in F1 at Haas, either Schumacher is confirmed or the contenders are Giovinazzi, Hulkenberg, Schwartzman.

FaultyMario
October 1st, 2022, 06:03 AM
Were people saying something about Russell wiping the floor with the septuple world champ?

FaultyMario
October 1st, 2022, 06:06 AM
What race is Brundle watching?

Max had to abort a very good lap? What the beep, beep, beep mate? That was at least half a second off Leclerc's time!

JoeW
October 1st, 2022, 07:25 AM
Russell is wiping the ass for the septuple WDC.

Max was .9 faster than LeClerc when they told him to box. They said it was because Max wouldn’t have had enough fuel for a sample if he had to go around again.

FaultyMario
October 1st, 2022, 07:55 AM
It was a so-so lap. No purple sectors, was doing well in S3 before he fessed up the tricky transition corners. I would not consider it a lap worthy of Leclerc's.

JoeW
October 1st, 2022, 08:19 AM
Watch it again. Max had set purple in s1 and s2 in his previously aborted lap by a wide margin. Then he went again, still nearly .9 ahead of LeClerc but behind his own purples set previously…then they called him in to pit before the lap was done. Rest assured he would have gotten pole by a second.

JoeW
October 1st, 2022, 10:47 AM
Honestly this whole budget thing is getting really juicy. I can’t wait for the drama to unfold this week when they announce their findings and possible penalties.

Of course RBR deny deny deny. If they are found to have heinously abused the cap then the scandal will explode.

Kchrpm
October 1st, 2022, 12:46 PM
I saw an article saying the penalties could theoretically include affecting their points/championship from last year. This long after it happened, I don't know how I feel about that. For the record books for Lewis I'd enjoy that, but it would feel SO strange.

FaultyMario
October 1st, 2022, 01:06 PM
It's McLaren, right?

They blew the lid off...

Freude am Fahren
October 1st, 2022, 01:57 PM
I saw an article saying the penalties could theoretically include affecting their points/championship from last year. This long after it happened, I don't know how I feel about that. For the record books for Lewis I'd enjoy that, but it would feel SO strange.

I think it'd be constructors only if aything, not DWC? Not sure though

Rare White Ape
October 1st, 2022, 06:36 PM
My gut feeling is this cost cap scandal is just chatter designed to derail certain teams and distract them at the pointy end of the season.

Seems to me that no evidence has been produced. Nothing new has been said in the last 24 hours, since the original claims came out.

So, just a load of bullshit until we hear back from the FIA. Anyone still talking about it is in Billi mode.

Crazed_Insanity
October 1st, 2022, 07:31 PM
My gut feeling is that if it’s a load of BS, one should be confident that FIA will come back with BS. Why even wait to listen to more BS? Only if I’m not certain then I’d wait for FIA. Full Billi mode would be that I know Horner blew his budget cap!

That’s certainly a possibility, but even I’m not 100% sure about that.

So yeah, I’d wait for FIA to find something.

Maybe FIA can also figure out that Max didn’t have enough points to have a super license and decide to retroactively ban him? ;)

Anyway, IMHO, way too much politics, not enough racing. Hope F1 will improve or I’ll probably stop paying attention to it like I did with Indycars…

Rare White Ape
October 1st, 2022, 07:49 PM
https://i.imgur.com/iZfbNmo.png

JoeW
October 1st, 2022, 09:03 PM
Well played sir…

FaultyMario
October 2nd, 2022, 08:59 AM
This race reinforced my view that cars need to be less dependent on aerodynamics, they should also aim to have a shorter wheelbase.

I think one of the reasons why they aquaplane so much is because of both those things, once those big boats start to float they're nearly impossible to control, and in a race situation that is a certain pile up.

That's why they don't let them race with rain coming down, it's not down to Pirelli, it's because of the design philosophy for the cars.

Blerpa
October 2nd, 2022, 09:16 AM
Teams have been against reducing aero importance for decades, good luck with that.
I'd like simplest aero ever (like in the 90s), lighter and smaller cars.
But what you wish for ain't what reality will roll on... unfortunately.

We will wait ages again for a post-race decision.
Go-kart track, dangerous and even with few drivers out and two safety cars the race was boring as hell.
Nascarization of F1 continues forward, anyway.

FaultyMario
October 2nd, 2022, 09:21 AM
Yes, but.

They keep adding street circuits.

One does not go well with the other.

Blerpa
October 2nd, 2022, 09:50 AM
I know... but spectacle and entertainment seemingly are more important than motor racing.
And having an american company providing for the whole media aspect is like getting McDonald's to do the catering of an healthy nutrition convention.

On the race: how convenient is that the whole focus is on Perez possible penalty instead on how Leclerc threw away a decent win with a, quite usual for him, mediocre start?

FaultyMario
October 2nd, 2022, 09:57 AM
Perez given two separate penalties for his SC infringements. One is a 5" time penalty added to his race time and the other a reprimand.

He still wins.

FaultyMario
October 2nd, 2022, 10:00 AM
On the race: how convenient is that the whole focus is on Perez possible penalty instead on how Leclerc threw away a decent win with a, quite usual for him, mediocre start?

The RB was just faster. Look at how effective the DRS was for Verstappen and how ineffective it was for Leclerc.

A lot of drivers had issues on the second phase of the launch, IMHO it was down to heavy cars on cold tires on a damp track.

And that is only going to get worse if they keep having night races on street circuits AND ban tire blankets.

Blerpa
October 2nd, 2022, 10:21 AM
Well, but they have shunts and accidents... that's fun, innit?!??

I dunno, Leclerc could have blocked as well as Perez did, also DRS did not came in the equation for half the race.
Still not what I expect from a driver racing for the championship.
Cars were floating, having zero grip (Sainz said it clearly he floated the whole race) - how *entertaining* is to see a car make a mistake and get out of the contention right away because it hit the wall instead of grass and/or gravel which could get the car back on the track with lesser damage?

That notwithstanding the fact that I'm a strong proponent since forever of the same rule as in Motorbike racing: you get on the gravel? Marshals can push you back on track and let you keep on racing.
F1 rule (if a marshall touches the car it is automatically out of the race) is anachronistic and even stupid from the, oh my, would have you guessed?, entertaining point.

But no, we think idiotic stuff like Sprint Races or Reversed grids are feasable instead of something like this.

Another point to discuss: whoever it is, Hamilton, Perez, Verstappen, got to stop whining about Safety car speed.
Safety car speed is NOT determined to keep their tires warm but to keep the drivers, and marshalls, safe and compact them before a restart.
So cut your whine... you are a F1 driver, you are paid millions to be able to keep on track a car with colder tires on a restart.

FaultyMario
October 2nd, 2022, 10:31 AM
I dunno, Leclerc could have blocked as well as Perez did, also DRS did not came in the equation for half the race.

That was kind of my point, sorry if I didn't express it clearly, the RB had such and advantage that without the equalizer that is DRS, the others had no chance. And even then, when DRS was deployed it only further enhanced its advantage*.

Yes, agree on your points about F1 racing with an anachronistic rule set and on the SC being a safety device.

* Which goes to show how much it meant if RB did indeed break the budget gap in 2021, its effects cascade well into 2023. I believe it was a calculated risk on their part, thinking that, if caught, they'd only be penalized for their constructor points of 2021.

JoeW
October 2nd, 2022, 03:32 PM
I still don’t think LeClerc is championship material yet. He just doesn’t have what it takes in the heat of battle to be surgically precise while applying pressure…or while under pressure. He had Perez late in the race with DRS but he just kept making mistakes. Perez looked very beatable while under pressure but LeClerc just kept stubbing his toes.

Otherwise some halfway decent battles…but mostly forgettable race.

Crazed_Insanity
October 2nd, 2022, 08:14 PM
So no rain master for this race?

I suppose Max was the one who choked big time this week? Yeah team screwed him up during qualifying but it’s his teammate that stole the show from Ferraris!

Also, I’d think aero effects would help cars carve thru water better? Downforce would be able to push thru better ?

Anyway, it would’ve sucked if a race winner end up giving back his win after the race. Just ask the race leader to catch up during the race or else face stop and go penalty! IMHO, it’s a stupid rule. Race leader should be able to set his own race.

Pete has definitely out performed all expectations this year.

CudaMan
October 3rd, 2022, 11:14 AM
The ground-effects cars are so stiff to keep the ground effect effective (:p), at low speed they are a handful. With less aero dependence cars could be set up softer to generate more mechanical grip in the wet. Plus as Mario says, the general design philosophy of an F1 car with its floor means that at a certain point with enough standing water hydroplaning becomes inevitable. It's a shame because rain racing could be much better, and the racing in general could be leagues better with smaller lighter cars. But I am still entertained. The way the Singapore GP played out in 2022 there was a lot of risk in attempting a pass. I wonder how well drivers of these big cars with their front tire fairings can see ground conditions ahead of them. I was gobsmacked two of the best drivers on the grid attempted outbraking maneuvers on slick tires on slimy damp/wet sections of track.

Aside from that, anyone think Lewis just had a brain fart and used his dry braking marker when he nosed into the wall there?

Max demonstrating real patience most of the time, particularly in the first half of the race. He has definitely matured inside the car. Outside, probably not. :p He blasted the team pretty hard for the qualifying fuel issue. Did they give him a public reaming for his mistake attempting to pass Lando? Not that I've seen.

Regarding the starts, the side of the grid closest to pit lane got better starts than the racing-line side of the grid. Blame conditions for that one I'd say.

Crazed_Insanity
October 3rd, 2022, 03:14 PM
Autocorrect has changed my Perez to Pete... :lol:

Anyway, thanks for the explanation Cuda. I guess that makes sense... they can't soften their suspension too much with the finickier ground effects cars and perhaps that's why we're seeing more of them slip sliding around than before?

Also, have to say it is pretty rare to have teams giving drivers public reamings? Usually teams are more calm and collected than hot headed drivers, right? :p RB and Max both seemed to have made uncharacteristic mistakes probably due to the pressure? Had Max got on pole, surely he'll run away in the race?

FaultyMario
October 3rd, 2022, 03:41 PM
anyone think Lewis just had a brain fart and used his dry braking marker when he nosed into the wall there?

I think it was the same situation as the one Alex Albon described for his crash, he got comfortable and braked where he normally would, except that, for some unknown reason*, one of his fronts did not bite, and then it was just impossible to maneuver. I think Albon admitted it caught him by surprise.

I suppose these type of races require the highest levels of concentration.

*Probably a damp patch he could not have seen, for the reasons described above.

XHawkeye
October 3rd, 2022, 03:51 PM
There have been 26 seasons where a driver tallied 9 or more poles. (https://twitter.com/CYMotorsport/status/1576222951820914688)

Only 6x has a driver done this & failed to win that season's Drivers Championship.

Only 2 aren't champions:
- 1989 Senna
- 2014 Rosberg
- 2016 Hamilton
- 1973 𝙋𝙚𝙩𝙚𝙧𝙨𝙤𝙣
- 1974 Lauda
- 2022 𝙇𝙚𝙘𝙡𝙚𝙧𝙘

Crazed_Insanity
October 3rd, 2022, 06:09 PM
Personally, I think at worst, Leclerc will be like Rosberg, rather than Peterson?

However this stat is probably not so applicable for today's standards because we have so many races now? 9 poles probably meant a LOT more back then. Anyway, I think it'd be 'extraordinary' to eventually see Leclerc fade into a nobody in f1 history like Peterson. But then again, if Peterson didn't get killed, surely that 2 time runner up probably could've been a champion eventually? One has to try really really hard to win that many poles and never win championships.

JoeW
October 3rd, 2022, 06:55 PM
I imagine it was more prevalent in the way back times to have a really fast car that just could not complete a full race without breaking.

On the rain lock up issue…Alonso was on the radio asking them about dry spots because he couldn’t tell where the track was wet or dry from in the car due to the night lighting, reflections etc.

That probably had an effect on everyone to an extent.

I like LeClerc but he’s going to need to work on his own mental state during high stress situations before he can win a WDC.

If this budget era continues then they will have to asterisk the changeover in 2021. There will never be another driver/team who can accomplish more than 2 or 3 championships in a row. I can see top drivers signing 2-3 yr max contracts so they can move to the next team on the rise before their current team gets dragged under due to lack of wind tunnel time.

Nascarification.

As much I hated seeing Merc dominate so thoroughly the last decade, this is fucking F1 bitches. This ain’t preschool. Bring your A game or go home. All this budget leveling and creative hindering rules is going to change the sport overall in a negative way…as far as being the pinnacle of motor racing is concerned.

Rare White Ape
October 4th, 2022, 12:30 AM
As much I hated seeing Merc dominate so thoroughly the last decade, this is fucking F1 bitches. This ain’t preschool. Bring your A game or go home. All this budget leveling and creative hindering rules is going to change the sport overall in a negative way…as far as being the pinnacle of motor racing is concerned.

I've been saying this for 20 years.

Blerpa has probably been saying it for 40 years.

Part of the issue stems from mega-budget manufacturer teams coming in and absorbing a whole load of sponsorship and talent, then pulling up stumps and leaving after their parent organisation decides its time to go, through marketing, budgetary, or performance-related decisions.

They always focus on the wrong end of the grid in this regard. Levelling the money playing field will not level the sporting playing field. The budget cap only measures what each team supposedly spent, not how much they make... or lose.

Freude am Fahren
October 4th, 2022, 07:53 AM
There have been 26 seasons where a driver tallied 9 or more poles. (https://twitter.com/CYMotorsport/status/1576222951820914688)

Only 6x has a driver done this & failed to win that season's Drivers Championship.

Only 2 aren't champions:
- 1989 Senna
- 2014 Rosberg
- 2016 Hamilton
- 1973 ����������������
- 1974 Lauda
- 2022 ��������������

Always take stats in this sport that point to number of X, rather than percentages with caution. In 1973 & 74, 9 was 60% of the races, now it's 40%. That's a pretty big difference. No one else could even take more than 6 against the 9. Now they can take 13. In fact Max can still get 9 if he gets the rest.

That said, the point your making stands. Chalres and Ferrari need to improve their Sunday performance.

JoeW
October 5th, 2022, 10:10 AM
Looks like budget over expenditure by RBR was a mere $150k instead of the initial reports of $12mil. So...nothing to see here.

FaultyMario
October 5th, 2022, 10:24 AM
Weelly? I thought the official stance was the FIA couldn't complete the revision and has postponed its public statement until the 10th.

Crazed_Insanity
October 5th, 2022, 01:05 PM
$1 over the cap should still be punished! Unless there are rules in place that allows for some wiggle room? +/- and few hundred thousand dollars?

Anyway, budget cap rule is really stupid for sure. Toyota went all out and still couldn't win. If you further limit Toyota's spending, they'd end up worse off! :p

F1 is likely choking itself to death with these stupid team budget and driver point system rules.

JoeW
October 5th, 2022, 01:32 PM
Weelly? I thought the official stance was the FIA couldn't complete the revision and has postponed its public statement until the 10th.

Something I read in a likely unreliable rag…but sometimes it’s true :)

Apparently they are being fined many thousands of dollars.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/motorsports/max-verstappen-keeps-f1-title-from-lewis-hamilton-as-red-bull-learn-fia-penalty/ar-AA12CFmp?li=BBnbfcL

Rare White Ape
October 5th, 2022, 10:51 PM
Oh no.

Anyway...

Freude am Fahren
October 6th, 2022, 10:30 AM
The FIA: You spent too much money!

Also the FIA: Give us more money!

Crazed_Insanity
October 6th, 2022, 10:53 AM
FIA really needs to stop having these kind of rules that penalize drivers/teams after the fact.

If you cannot make the proper call during the race, maybe it's not a good rule?

The other issue with budget cap is that if you crash your car more often, then your team will be fucked financially for the year? If we don't count repair bills of accidental crashes as part of the budget, then rich teams could deliberately crash their cars so that they can upgrade their car parts? ;)

Anyway, F-1/FIA if slowly killing the spirit of top level racing.

Blerpa
October 7th, 2022, 04:21 AM
Anyway, F-1/FIA if slowly killing the spirit of top level racing.

Heard it since the 80s, FIA was not even in place nor Ecclestone.

I still don’t think LeClerc is championship material yet. He just doesn’t have what it takes in the heat of battle to be surgically precise while applying pressure…or while under pressure. He had Perez late in the race with DRS but he just kept making mistakes. Perez looked very beatable while under pressure but LeClerc just kept stubbing his toes.

Otherwise some halfway decent battles…but mostly forgettable race.

Also, forgot but totally agree; both on Leclerc and the race.

Crazed_Insanity
October 7th, 2022, 10:58 AM
Heard it since the 80s, FIA was not even in place nor Ecclestone.

Really? FIA didn't exist back then? I don't even remember when FIA started then... wasn't paying much attention at all.

Anyway, whatever they were complaining about, can't be as bad as now, right? :p

FaultyMario
October 7th, 2022, 04:26 PM
I don't know, I think Marcus has a point:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fa3xtibXoAAVmV9.png

Though, if Mick does move to AT, I wouldn't count on Tsunoda keeping his seat.

Alpine: Ocon - Gasly confirmed,
Alpha T: Tsunoda - De Vries confirmed,
Macca: Norris - Piastri confirmed,
Alfa: Bottas - Zhou confirmed,
Haas: Did they confirm K-mag?
Williams: Albon confirmed.

Rare White Ape
October 8th, 2022, 01:36 AM
Verstappen keeps his pole after that nasty swerve with Norris bearing down on him exiting 130R.

That was one big arse-puckering moment.

FaultyMario
October 8th, 2022, 05:51 AM
Bullshit call, he was warming his tires on the racing line.

Rare White Ape
October 8th, 2022, 11:45 AM
Other side of the argument is that everyone was keeping speed down to leave gaps for their flying laps, except for Norris, who should have maybe expected that there would be slow traffic there.

Verstappen accused Norris of trying to overtake him into the final chicane, but I don’t really buy that argument.

Crazed_Insanity
October 8th, 2022, 02:01 PM
Obviously Max either wasn’t expecting anyone to pass him or did not want anyone to pass him, that’s why he was warming up his tires on the racing line.

What’s really the situation? Are people lining up getting ready for their hot laps, if that’s the case, naturally I wouldn’t want anyone cut in front of me as well. Or RB failed to notify Max that Lando is in the middle of his hot lap and he should not fuck around on the racing line?

JoeW
October 8th, 2022, 05:41 PM
Lando was not on a hot lap. He just was jumping the line really fast.

Crazed_Insanity
October 8th, 2022, 05:52 PM
If that’s the case, then it’s probably just a racing incident then…

Obviously Max shouldn’t have ‘lost control’ right when Lando passes by at high speeds, but then Lando really shouldn’t cut in line like that when the person trying to clinch his championship is getting ready for a hot lap. Try that on some backmarker maybe, try that on Max at your own risk.

Blerpa
October 9th, 2022, 05:44 AM
What’s really the situation? Are people lining up getting ready for their hot laps, if that’s the case, naturally I wouldn’t want anyone cut in front of me as well. Or RB failed to notify Max that Lando is in the middle of his hot lap and he should not fuck around on the racing line?

Drivers have a gentlemen agreement not to jump the line on another driver when in quali.
It is not the first time a driver did not oblige to the informal agreement: I can't remember if it was Ocon or Magnussen who "forgot" about that.
Unfortunately it is as said an informal agreement.

JoeW
October 9th, 2022, 07:26 AM
I love LeClerc but he just proved my point one last time this season by losing any hope at the WDC by folding under the pressure of Perez in the final corner of the race.

FaultyMario
October 9th, 2022, 11:21 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FepCcmgWIAAQBrE.jpg

JoeW
October 9th, 2022, 11:31 AM
Alonso was on fire with those new tires.

FaultyMario
October 9th, 2022, 12:11 PM
Or: "The quadruple world champion held on to his position in spite of the relentless attacks by the experienced Spaniard".

It was an enjoyable race, I wish we had had more laps of it.

And I hate to repeat something that has been said multiple times before, but not all races need to be scheduled at 3 PM local time, some latitudes beg for an earlier time because of visibility issues during certain months of the year.

JoeW
October 9th, 2022, 12:35 PM
100%

But I know your love of Alonso but he was 1sec behind Vettel with 8 minutes to go when he pit for fresh tires from P7. He came out 26secs back in P10 with 7:32 left in the race. So I’d say Vettel had no say in his own fate besides Alpines decision to bring him in one lap too late (Button called it exactly right on the air). Alonso sliced through three cars ahead and 26secs deficit in only 7minutes (like 4 laps). That’s pretty damn badass. Vettel was just a speed bump to drive around.

FaultyMario
October 9th, 2022, 12:51 PM
100%

But I know your love of Alonso but he was 1sec behind Vettel with 8 minutes to go when he pit for fresh tires from P7. He came out 26secs back in P10 with 7:32 left in the race. So I’d say Vettel had no say in his own fate besides Alpines decision to bring him in one lap too late (Button called it exactly right on the air). Alonso sliced through three cars ahead and 26secs deficit in only 7minutes (like 4 laps). That’s pretty damn badass. Vettel was just a speed bump to drive around.

But, have you seen the split screen onboards? :drool:

TV direction needs to cut to the winner's parade lap AFTER all the point-scoring position fights have been settled.

samoht
October 9th, 2022, 12:56 PM
It was an enjoyable race, I wish we had had more laps of it.

And I hate to repeat something that has been said multiple times before, but not all races need to be scheduled at 3 PM local time, some latitudes beg for an earlier time because of visibility issues during certain months of the year.

Agree. Suzuka is a wonderful track, seeing them race there is fab, I'm really glad it's back on the calendar. Every corner is full of challenge and intrigue, and equally of history and memories of driving the track in so many games.

And yeah, the fact is that a two hour rain delay is a fairly common scenario at Suzuka, so starting the race a bit earlier in the day would just allow more daylight to get a proper race in - this felt more like a slightly extended Sprint race. Yet it was still ace.

I was surprised Max managed to grab the lead into the first corner, however from then on he didn't look in danger.

The Gasly/tractor near-miss was shocking and infuriating, after the tragedy of 2014.

And yet... established protocol is that the safety car is used to slow the field to allow recovery vehicles to clear stranded cars. Otherwise every breakdown or crash would be a red flag. So there isn't a system to avoid this happening.

I see two separate problems - first that what might be entirely safe on a hot sunny day is very different when the track is shrouded in murk and the drivers are splashing through rivers at various points. On a dry sunny day Gasly would've seen the tractor well in advance, and had no difficulty slowing down and safely steering clear. In the conditions as they were, his stopping distance was much longer than his seeing distance, which doesn't work well with large vehicles stationary on track.

So, first rule change, if it's wet (which is already defined, as it's a criterion for DRS enablement), then you throw a red flag while the recovery vehicles are on track. Maybe the field is only stopped on the grid for a couple of minutes, that's fine, but you just ensure separation between racing cars and trucks/tractors.

The second issue is that the 'safety car' isn't fully effective until every car is lined up in the train behind it. Until that point, some drivers can be going at full speed to catch up the back of the snake. Even in the dry, I don't think it's safe to have drivers potentially on the limit going past recovery vehicles.

So the second rule would be no recovery vehicles on track until every competitor is behind the safety car. The issue with this is that someone could drop out of the train for a pit stop, and then catch back up. So another possibility would be that in addition to the actual safety car, virtual safety car rules apply (minimum mini-sector times) while recovery vehicles are on track.

I know this sounds like a recipe for longer delays and more stoppages, but the fact is that most cars can be recovered by marshals/cranes or can be scooped up pretty quickly, so the extra red flags would be relatively few and brief. I don't think it'd hurt the racing much, and it would eliminate one of the biggest risks to F1 drivers. (Recalling that Maria de Villota also died of injuries sustained after her F1 car hit a truck).

JoeW
October 9th, 2022, 02:22 PM
Yeah that first turn move by Max took HUGE balls. I was like holy shit that is some ballsy shit going into the very first turn around the outside of someone with no real idea of the grip level. Just crazy talented these guys.

Yeah what samoht said...Gasly crying foul but god damn he was hauling ass under full SC with no visibility in rain. I mean, slow it down there tough guy...the SC isn't going to leave the track to green conditions before you get to it.

FaultyMario
October 9th, 2022, 02:54 PM
So, first rule change, if it's wet (which is already defined, as it's a criterion for DRS enablement), then you throw a red flag while the recovery vehicles are on track. Maybe the field is only stopped on the grid for a couple of minutes, that's fine, but you just ensure separation between racing cars and trucks/tractors.

I wish there was an "orange flag" section, like, every track could have a slow zone before the pit entry, so that, instead of throwing a full stop for minor track recovery work, the lap time could be lengthened on SC periods by, say, a double chicane and a drive through the pits.

Crazed_Insanity
October 9th, 2022, 03:29 PM
Considering the recent death, they really need to do better with their safety vehicles… different protocols on sunny and rainy days.

Also, I wonder how the new aero sprays the water differently? Shouldn’t the new rules also spray less than before?

Anyway, wish they could race in rain with better visibility. Supposedly rain should be a great equalizer but apparently Max is dominating as ever!

JoeW
October 10th, 2022, 09:55 AM
Max WDC is 100%.

RBR in violation of “minor” and “procedural” violations.

Crazed_Insanity
October 10th, 2022, 10:14 AM
Add 5s penalties to all of his 2021 races and see where he stands? :p

When there's a violation, there's a violation, right?

I hope FIA will penalize them with millions and then give to the poorer teams. ;)

FaultyMario
October 10th, 2022, 03:27 PM
I had to:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FeuHERkXEAEdwKN.jpg

JoeW
October 10th, 2022, 03:50 PM
Can you imagine how complicated and convoluted the financials are for an F1 team...and then trying to determine what falls into the F1 budget restraints and not....omg I can imagine the fudging is strong with all the teams.

FaultyMario
October 10th, 2022, 04:04 PM
Kind of like the engineering side, no? Don't they have to annex surface templates instead of trying to word it into the rule books?

Tom Servo
October 10th, 2022, 04:05 PM
I would expect that'd be massively fudged for the big car-maker teams like Mercedes and Ferrari. How hard would it be to take some of the budget for F1 and just put it towards research & development into your road cars? "Oh, all that wind tunnel testing was for a diffuser we want to put on our brand new AMG flagship car, it's just a fortunate side effect that we're also using everything we learned for our F1 car."

Rare White Ape
October 10th, 2022, 05:47 PM
It'd be like an oil company doing its tax returns. "We made 35 billion dollars this year but returned no profit." In reality it all went to a holding company in Amsterdam, so they pay zero tax.

Which means that it could be possible, that 'creative accounting' is now a sporting pursuit.

FaultyMario
October 10th, 2022, 06:08 PM
RBR in violation of “minor” and “procedural” violations.

Do you remember when Hamilton was DSQ for a 0.2 mm offence? I do.

JoeW
October 10th, 2022, 06:34 PM
Minor Financial violations are probably not seen in the same light as strictly enforced performance parts.

I’m sure you aren’t suggesting that you think the FIA will take away the WDC from either last year or this year? Whether right or wrong, there is no way the already flaccid FIA would do that.

Now if they had balls of steel then we might see some fireworks but we all know that won’t happen.

Crazed_Insanity
October 10th, 2022, 07:55 PM
Whether it happens or not, it’s lose/lose situation. Wish they can come up with better and easier to enforce in real time rules rather than bunch of convoluted rules that can only be assessed and applied after the fact.

Blerpa
October 11th, 2022, 02:03 AM
Nothing to see, move on.

JoeW
October 11th, 2022, 08:07 AM
Btw…I dislike Russell more every race. His whiney little idiotic outbursts are quite annoying.

Crazed_Insanity
October 11th, 2022, 08:19 AM
Really? I rarely watch driver interviews so I wouldn’t know… anyway, you hate him more than little diva Lewis?!?!