PDA

View Full Version : F1 2022 Season - "Big Wheels"

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

Kchrpm
November 28th, 2022, 07:42 PM
The WEC hypercar teams will probably be happy to have them.

samoht
November 28th, 2022, 11:46 PM
Binotto Binned
https://www.ferrari.com/en-EN/corporate/articles/ferrari-announcement-2022

Blerpa
November 29th, 2022, 03:32 AM
The WEC hypercar teams will probably be happy to have them.

Yes, although in endurance racing usually drivers are a bit older.
But young ones have been on the grids lately and will be next season.

Crazed_Insanity
November 29th, 2022, 07:21 AM
Binotto Binned
https://www.ferrari.com/en-EN/corporate/articles/ferrari-announcement-2022

Binotto doesn't sound very happy with that statement. I suppose it's understandable.

With so many changes on the top in recent history, yet, Ferrari seems to repeat its same stupid mistakes... I think it should be obvious something else probably needs changing other than team principals?

FaultyMario
November 30th, 2022, 06:37 PM
Stupid sexy Bottas.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fi0gEEUWIAURmkF.jpg

Blerpa
December 1st, 2022, 01:11 PM
Alex Palou will be Mclaren first reserve driver when not busy with the Indycar programme.

In Indycar he will probably be joined at Ganassi by Nicolas Latifi, meanwhile.

Also... let's make it happen:
Brown backs F1 driver calls for qualifying red flag penalties (https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/brown-backs-f1-driver-calls-for-qualifying-red-flag-penalties/10406279/)

But with retarded fans commenting like this, I'm worried it will never happens:
"IMO any qualifying where the fastest driver/car isn't on top is a great qualifying, red flags (like in Brazil) cause these kind of surprises.
Let's be honest, everybody loved K-Mag on pole! So for the viewer/fan, red flags in qualifying are good and shouldn't be penalized.

At the same time, I do think it's weird that all drivers on a qualifying lap are stopped as soon as a red flag comes out. What's the problem with continuing your flying lap when the accident is behind you on track!? "

Crazed_Insanity
December 1st, 2022, 02:13 PM
Yeah, nobody likes red flags ending qualifying prematurely. Whether intentional or accidental, it can be difficult to make that determination. Point is if your crash penalized others, as the cause of the red flag, you should not stand to gain especially if you're the one sitting on the pole. Having this rule should discourage people from intentionally crashing I suppose.

Blerpa
December 1st, 2022, 02:44 PM
The system exists already in Indycar: it does not judge if your action were intentional or not, but it just say that if you cause a Red Flag you get your fastest lap deleted.
And it works that way.

Also who cares about who does not likes red flags.
It is motorsports, NOT entertainment.
There's Nascar or stupid BTCC for that. Or Wrestling.

FaultyMario
December 1st, 2022, 03:43 PM
It is motorsports, NOT entertainment.

Eh. Angelo, have you heard about the proposed active aero rules?

ugh!

Blerpa
December 2nd, 2022, 01:17 AM
No, Mario... do tell, but I'm already worried about it!

JoeW
December 2nd, 2022, 02:34 AM
I’d like some of that info as well if you can spare some time after that big tease :)

Crazed_Insanity
December 2nd, 2022, 08:01 AM
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1s-active-aero-plans-for-2026-could-include-reverse-drs/10406751/amp/

DRS is a form of active aero and I’m not sure if that’s really helping much. Now they’re thinking of possibly having reversed DRS… :rolleyes:

Anyway, haven’t they learned? It really seems like whenever they introduce something new, they end up introducing new problems?

At least rule changes stopped Mercedes from running away from the field. 2026 rule change probably is just an attempt to stop RB.

I think a simple or cost effective rule would be to just stop race winners from receiving updates to their car! :D

FaultyMario
December 2nd, 2022, 08:08 AM
a group under Ross Brawn is investigating the feasibility of having moveable aerodynamic devices to be activated under certain race circumstances in order to "promote closer racing". basically, to make the leading cars slower and less reliable.

JoeW
December 2nd, 2022, 12:36 PM
Good lord can’t people just compete and win or lose on their own merits?

Blerpa
December 2nd, 2022, 01:43 PM
Still with aero gimmicks.
I've given up on this.

FaultyMario
December 6th, 2022, 08:39 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FjSruabXgAAYwq3.jpg

Correct.

Blerpa
December 9th, 2022, 08:04 AM
Vasseur to say goodbye at Alfa Romeo Sauber whatever it is called these days soon, and then Ferrari will officialize him as new Team Principal.
Meanwhile in the italian tifosi background almost everyone is displeased by the oncoming announcement of the french manager hiring and want Rueda's head on a silver plate, deemed one the biggest architect of the latest Ferrari's failures.

Crazed_Insanity
December 9th, 2022, 11:22 AM
Man, what a mess inside Ferrari... doesn't look like they're in any position the mount a championship challenge next year.

JoeW
December 9th, 2022, 02:09 PM
The car is still at the top.

FaultyMario
December 9th, 2022, 08:56 PM
Vasseur to say goodbye at Alfa Romeo Sauber whatever it is called these days soon, and then Ferrari will officialize him as new Team Principal.
Meanwhile in the italian tifosi background almost everyone is displeased by the oncoming announcement of the french manager hiring and want Rueda's head on a silver plate, deemed one the biggest architect of the latest Ferrari's failures.

What's the deal with Luca Cordero?, Is he too Spanish for the ferraristi?

Blerpa
December 12th, 2022, 03:20 PM
He has been out of Ferrari since quite some years, he is busy being CEO of an important cigar company and of the italian branch of the Telethon fundraising event.

Anyhow, NEWS!
Capito and Demaison to leave Williams.
Rumours have it Capito is going to replace Vasseur at Sauber.

More news... actually, SHOCKING NEWS!
Honda has officially signed monday morning the papers to be a new (LOL) F1 engine supplier in 2026 with the new regulations!
They will supply their locked-development engine to Red Bull till 2025, as we already knew, but, as we saw already since Japan GP this season, with their principal Honda logo and not anymore as HRC only.

Wild gossip around the paddock talk of a Ford interest as well... :?

Crazed_Insanity
December 12th, 2022, 09:22 PM
Honda just needs to announce that they're leaving F-1 every year... apparently that's how they win championships. ;)

Forget Ford or GM...

I want to see an F-1 car powered by Mustang or Corvette!!! :D

Blerpa
December 13th, 2022, 01:29 AM

Blerpa
December 13th, 2022, 04:09 AM
Vasseur is the new Ferrari Team Principal and General Manager.
Andreas Seidl (I'm so sad) leaves Mclaren and it is the new CEO of Sauber (Audi).
Andrea Stella steps up taking the place of Seidl at the orange papaya team.

Sigh.

FaultyMario
December 13th, 2022, 07:09 AM
I'm sorry for Lando. He's kinda sorta fucked.

Blerpa
December 13th, 2022, 07:44 AM
Lando very probably is going to be brought in Mercedes by Toto in 1-2 years when Lewis will retire.
I'm more worried about Mclaren.

Crazed_Insanity
December 13th, 2022, 08:27 AM
I'm not really familiar enough with the Andreas to understand what you guys were talking about, but it'd be awesome to see Lando move to Mercedes... and I'd also enjoy very much to see how George and Lando compares... ;) Current gut feeling is telling me Lando is the better driver. Seeing how Lando blew away Ricciardo like that... perhaps Lando could blow away Max in the the same car! :D

JoeW
December 14th, 2022, 01:16 PM
I know you all said this year was boring but I am rewatching the season in my spare time and the first 6 races through Spain were brilliant with the exception of Miami. Lots of good racing and good drama.

Continuing to watch when I have time.

Tom Servo
December 14th, 2022, 02:25 PM
I'm with you, I enjoyed this season. Much more than I expected to, since I still think the big wheels are bad.

Crazed_Insanity
December 14th, 2022, 09:47 PM
It was only boring because Mercedes screwed up its design and failed to catch up… and Ferrari screwed up with strategy and failed to live up to its true potential. Wasn’t as exciting as the previous season when champion fight was all the way to the last race…. Lastly, I did not notice the rule change improve overall racing much…

JoeW
December 15th, 2022, 02:52 AM
Even though the points gap between 1st and 2nd was large at the end, it was all of those things that made the season actually quite good.

Mercedes was still quite good. Lots of great battles. Mechanic DNFs, crashes, spins, strategic calls etc.

5 of the first 6 races were great. The last race I watched, Spain, had Mercedes finish 2 and 4. Russell battling with both RB. Hamilton fighting back to pass Sainz for 3rd in closing laps only to get passed back on last lap due to loss of power. LeClerc leading the race going away until his engine let go.

1st 4 races had similar drama.

Blerpa
December 15th, 2022, 03:12 AM
Toto Wolff has officially announced Mick Schumacher as Mercedes F1 third driver (reserve and simulator) for 2023.
Ferrari and the german driver have severed their contractual ties.

Crazed_Insanity
December 15th, 2022, 06:50 AM
Yeah, season wasn't 'bad' or anything. At least RB did not easily walk away with the championship. When such dominance happens, I'd hope at least there can be tight intra-team battle like between Senna and Prost... or Hamilton and Rosberg... it only gets really boring for me to see a team with complete dominance and signs a clear #2 to not upset the balance. Michael Schumacher era at Ferrari was the most boring for me.

Anyway, this season wasn't too bad. Also, hope Mick reverses his dad's fortune by not doing so well with Ferrari and actually do well at Mercedes in his career? However, somehow I don't see him getting Hamilton's seat after he retires.

FaultyMario
December 15th, 2022, 09:50 AM
Why is Piastri being announced for Alpine? what happened to Pedro Gaseoso?

Crazed_Insanity
December 15th, 2022, 11:04 AM
What are you talking about?

FaultyMario
December 15th, 2022, 11:37 AM
today's announcement!!

nevermind, just some lazy person over at Alpine's.

https://twitter.com/AlpineF1Team/status/1554500248432680960?s=20&t=qGdZbz0ZC1sev-r5q8dPMA

Crazed_Insanity
December 15th, 2022, 12:39 PM
That tweet was back in August dude! :p

FaultyMario
December 15th, 2022, 12:41 PM
Yeah, but it began making the rounds again today. It caught me totally off-guard.

I was thinking maybe the Andreas shuffle had something to do with it.

JoeW
January 1st, 2023, 08:46 AM
Still watching the races back and I just finished Austria Round 11. Still zero signs of boring. Lots of very close racing. Some very dramatic car failures amongst the front runners while in very high positions.

Just watched Austria where Ferrari was clearly the fastest car by far. Sainz engine spectacularly explodes while passing Ver for the second time trying to move into 2nd.

British GP was brilliant. Canada was good. Azerbaijan also great.

Final results really aren’t reflective of how close the racing is. DNFs amongst the top teams are really skewing the points while the overall product is still quite good.

So halfway through and it definitely not boring.

Crazed_Insanity
January 2nd, 2023, 10:57 AM
Engine reliability issues because of new rules are totally understandable. However, drivers and team strategists cracking under pressure were kinda disappointing. Hope Ferrari can do better this year…

RB only dominated because both Mercedes and Ferrari dropped their balls I think.

JoeW
January 2nd, 2023, 12:57 PM
I feel that Ferrari had the best overall package this year. RBR was second and then Merc. Honestly the fastest car for 4th was Alpine but the damn thing broke every other race.

I'm predicting RBR being relegated to 3rd fastest car. With Ferrari and Merc battling for fastest car. Based on previous reliability results that should give Merc (either Ham or Russell) getting a WDC.

If all 3 can stay reliable then we should have a real humdinger next season. I think IF Alpine can be reliable then they will have some podiums on offer as well.

But my prediction is Merc climbs back on top. They just never break down and that means a lot. I really want Ferrari to do well but I don't think their drivers are real killers when it comes down to battling the big boys like Ham or Ver on track.

Crazed_Insanity
January 2nd, 2023, 08:03 PM
I generally agree with your analysis.

I think Mercedes’ ugly tiny sidepods concept just isn’t working. If it’s really a good concept, surely they could’ve ironed the bugs out after an entire season? IMHO, ugly usually won’t work well.

Anyway, once Mercedes has a winning car, surely Ham will become more motivated to win as well. If George end up winning the championship, Ham really should consider a retirement.

As for Ferrari, I’ll just enjoy looking at their beautiful car, but I won’t keep my expectations too high. Can’t expect sudden turn around with senior management change like that.

Crazed_Insanity
January 5th, 2023, 10:30 PM
Wow! Andretti Cadillac!

It’d be awesomer if it were Andretti Corvette, but whatever… hope this all American team can really happen.

Yobbo NZ
January 6th, 2023, 12:54 AM
It'll likely be Renault powered, rebadged as Cadillac.

JoeW
January 6th, 2023, 06:46 AM
I heard Honda.

Crazed_Insanity
January 6th, 2023, 07:08 AM
Andretti has had long partnership with Honda, so if they're looking for a re-badging partnership, Renault probably won't be top of the list. However, I'm sure RB probably wouldn't allow that to happen.

Maybe Gene Haas should just sell his damn team and get this over with. I sometimes wish Paul Newman is still alive... so this newly formed team can be called Newman-Haas. Kmart probably won't have anymore sponsorship money though... :p

FaultyMario
January 6th, 2023, 06:07 PM
It'll likely be Renault powered, rebadged as Cadillac.

IF Domenicali can get over whatever personal gripe has got him so unwelcoming to Andretti's advances.

Tom Servo
January 6th, 2023, 06:37 PM
Might be how things went the last time an Andretti tried to get into F1. Or the last time an American driver got into F1.

Crazed_Insanity
January 7th, 2023, 07:12 AM
Yeah, the muted response or absolutely no fanfare of the Andretti Cadillac announcement from F1 is probably indicative of it not happening.

Porsche and Audi certainly generated lots of fanfare. Even when Porsche deal fell thru with RB generated more news than Andretti Cadillac…

F1 probably just don’t want more teams.

Andretti should partner with Haas and Porsche probably should just buy Williams? Otherwise they just won’t be able to get in…

https://racingnews365.com/why-f1s-muted-response-to-the-andretti-cadillac-announcement/amp

Blerpa
January 8th, 2023, 02:45 AM
Vettel: I spoke to Niki about being Hamilton’s teammate (https://www.grandprix247.com/2023/01/07/vettel-hamilton-and-i-mightve-been-mercedes-f1-teammates/)

Crazed_Insanity
January 8th, 2023, 09:19 PM
Anyway, I’m glad Mercedes won so many championships with a black driver than a German driver, whether that be Michael or Vettel…

We shouldn’t give Neo-Nazis anymore ammo. IMHO, the black driver is superior to those 2!

JoeW
January 9th, 2023, 08:35 AM
Oof

Crazed_Insanity
January 9th, 2023, 10:24 AM
Okay, politics aside, perhaps Michael at his prime could match Hamilton? But clearly even prior to Hamilton's arrival, Michael was not doing better than Rosberg. That's why he retired, again, right?

As for Vettel..., I'm almost sure if we replace Mark Weber with Hamilton during those years, Hamilton should still win more championships than Vettel. Anyway, just my opinion. It'd be cool if we could pair them together in the same team to find out for sure I suppose.

Of course now Hamilton is the one getting older... hope Mercedes can once again deliver a winning car for him this year before he gets too old like Michael.

FaultyMario
January 9th, 2023, 03:06 PM
Diff'rent eras.

The one driver to rule them all was Clark. He was so adaptable, you could put him on equal cars next to anybody -from Louis Chiron to Max Verstappen- and he'd be competitive by the fifth lap.

Crazed_Insanity
January 9th, 2023, 08:00 PM
Jim Clark was indeed in a different era and I cannot get a good ‘feel’ for him…

I can only go as far back to Prost/Mansell/Senna, legends before them I honestly don’t have a good ‘feel’ for them other than stats.

Crazed_Insanity
January 11th, 2023, 11:22 AM
My previous post got me thinking that every era tend to have their trio of stars...

Prost/Mansell/Senna were definitely my personal favorite era thus far.
Schumacher/Mika/Alonso was probably my least favorite era.
Kimi/Vettel/Hamilton era was getting more interesting but there weren't a whole lot of tight championship battles between them though...

Now we're entering a new era and I'm not sure who my favorite trios will be...
Lando?Russel?Leclerc?/Max

Also, if Mercedes fixes its design flaw and Ferrari get its act together, I don't think we'll have a super dominant team as before... If Andretti/Cadillac could really happen, things can only get more interesting. Hoping we'll have tighter battles this year. Can't wait.

FaultyMario
January 13th, 2023, 04:27 AM
John Vowles leaves Mercedes to take the reigns over at Williams.

Crazed_Insanity
January 13th, 2023, 07:08 AM
He's involved with the team since Brawn GP, right?

I wonder if he'll really be able to turn Williams around... hope so.

JoeW
January 13th, 2023, 02:56 PM
Only money can do that.

FaultyMario
January 13th, 2023, 03:35 PM
I take it you've never heard of Toyota.

Crazed_Insanity
January 13th, 2023, 05:56 PM
Money will keep you in the game, but won’t guarantee success…

Toyota was really amazing at wasting their money… :p

JoeW
January 13th, 2023, 06:33 PM
I meant “and money”. Not just money :)