PDA

View Full Version : Worlde

Rare White Ape
January 25th, 2022, 02:04 AM
Should we start a Wordle thread to contain all the Wordles, or do we rename the "Internet memotivationally epic fails" to the Wordle thread and make a new "Internet memotivationally epic fails" thread?

If the former, can we please use this one :cool:

dodint
January 25th, 2022, 05:46 AM
Well. You spelled the word game name wrong in the thread title...

;)

Rare White Ape
January 25th, 2022, 05:47 AM
Yes

FaultyMario
January 25th, 2022, 06:14 AM
No, but you did!

Freude am Fahren
January 25th, 2022, 10:36 AM
I hate when I get the last letter or so rather than beginning of the word first. I guess my brain just doesn't see words that way easily.

If I get the first letter, I usually can get the word in 1-2 more tries. The last one though, I get kinda stuck.

FaultyMario
February 1st, 2022, 12:51 PM
Has capitalism ruined the internet again?

Rare White Ape
February 2nd, 2022, 06:13 AM
Yes

But also… post your results here!

Tom Servo
February 2nd, 2022, 09:38 AM
Wordle 228 3/6

��⬜⬜��⬜
������⬜��
����������

Tom Servo
February 2nd, 2022, 09:39 AM
Woo, that doesn't work very well on this board.

dodint
February 2nd, 2022, 12:12 PM
Wordle 228 4/6

⬛⬛⬛����
⬛⬛������
⬛��������
����������

Kchrpm
February 2nd, 2022, 12:33 PM
Nope, the Wordle text doesn't work at all, which is why I don't bother sharing results here. I'm now also playing Lewdle (dirty words only) and Nerdle (figure out the equation instead of the word) every day.

dodint
February 2nd, 2022, 12:40 PM
Gordle is a clone that only uses hockey player names.

Tom Servo
February 3rd, 2022, 01:39 PM
Sans the graphics.

Wordle 229 3/6

George
February 4th, 2022, 10:21 AM
Worlde

Speaking of epic failures... :p

Tom Servo
February 4th, 2022, 01:36 PM
Heh, I almost managed to screw up today's when I had all but the first letter green and then my brain just decided to type in a different last letter than I meant to.

SportWagon
February 5th, 2022, 02:09 PM
February 1 and 2 really did fall out from my new first word...

Now I just demonstrate some more how you can use facilities of the Forum to display your results.

Result was reasonable for February 3. Picked the wrong choice for 3.

Then I had a WHEW on February 4. Used an impossible word 2. Perhaps should have used another before guess 5...

So for February 5 I used an impossible 4 to narrow things down.

By-the-way, the New York Times has "bought wordle" for "a low 7 digit sum". (So that's 1 million and a bit US dollars?) What exactly have they bought? You'd think they would do something to protect against lawsuits if they want to start such a game, but it is surprising they paid so much for some sort of complete ownership of something relatively trivial.

And also, Google searches suggest there used to be a now-defunct wordle.net which was something somewhat different.

SportWagon
February 5th, 2022, 03:20 PM
If you use/install my quicky perl scripts (attached), you can do something like...

woolde-score usurp puppy spark purse usurp | woolde-chart
WHERE: in this case, the first usurp is the answer, and the following words are guesses.woolde-score usurp arose until usury usurp | woolde-chartto obtain the BB code.

Tom Servo
February 5th, 2022, 06:09 PM
Heh, nice. Today's was tough for me...I got the first two and last letter and then just couldn't figure it out until the last guess and that one took me forever.

SportWagon
February 6th, 2022, 12:07 AM
:r /tmp/today

Sigh. I should have done better.
Either of guess 4 or 5 would have worked as well (=> better) for guess 3 as my impossible one did.

It occurs to me that the mechanics of the powerlanguage.co.uk site keyboard entry and response display system are far more complicated than the basic game algorithm, and perhaps that is primarily what the New York TImes wanted to acquire.
And now I am thinking about passing prunes.

Fiat500
February 6th, 2022, 03:00 AM
With the Wordle archive, you can play the game the way it was when the Worlde began.

https://www.devangthakkar.com/wordle_archive/?1

Tom Servo
February 6th, 2022, 08:40 AM
Today's was the first time that I found out a letter can repeat in the result. Which was both kinda bullshit because it led to some wasted guesses but it also mean that even with having four of five letters right by the fourth guess, I still didn't get it.

SportWagon
February 6th, 2022, 08:59 AM
Yes, bright students get caught out occasionally when they fail to pay attention in class...

Using
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/faketime.1.html
I managed to go forward a few days in time (later verified).
I saw a Firefox setting the other day which might allow me to go back in time, but can't be bothered to try.

In any case, the puzzle you get is a function of your browser's local time.

I play the archive occasionally

Fiat500
February 6th, 2022, 09:03 AM
Hey Brian, want to test your norwegian skills?

https://ordle.no/

I needed all six tries for that one...

Tom Servo
February 6th, 2022, 09:45 AM
Oof, two guesses and I'm out of Norwegian words I can think of that'd fit.

Fiat500
February 6th, 2022, 10:36 AM
Yeah, it's not the most common word.

I don’t know how much I'll spoil you here, but

two of the letters appear twice, meaning there's only three different letters in the word, which meant I quickly ran out of options...

SportWagon
February 15th, 2022, 01:09 AM
The URL redirected and the distinctive font appeared.
Yet the last three days still went well.

Freude am Fahren
February 15th, 2022, 10:43 AM
Worldle (https://worldle.teuteuf.fr/) is another offshoot that is fun

GreatScawt
February 15th, 2022, 01:25 PM
Interesting! Something I will suck horribly at :lol:

Speaking of, here's another spin off that's super fascinating: https://semantle.novalis.org/
It's based on how close the word is based on usage in a sentence. Fucking wild. And will take way more than 6 guesses.

GreatScawt
February 15th, 2022, 08:22 PM
Also, weird thing happened.

My phone kept the "powerlanguage.uk" URL for the longest time, after the website redirected to NYTimes for most everyone else.

Last night I did the solution... and my wife did it immediately afterwards (her Wordle had redirected to NYT already). When she announced the answer, I did a double take. It was different than mine! Looks like they finally diverged?

Power language was "agora". She got "aroma" for NYT, which is eerily similar. It seems like NYT thought that was a bullshit word like I did at the time :lol:

Tom Servo
February 15th, 2022, 09:13 PM
They have - NY Times have apparently removed some of the more obscure words and some that were potentially insulting/insensitive. They said that pretty soon the powerlanguage one will redirect to the NY Times website so we'll all be on the same page again.

GreatScawt
February 17th, 2022, 04:35 PM
Wordle 243 X/6*

🟩⬛🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩

I'm so fuckin mad about this :lol:

Tom Servo
February 17th, 2022, 06:30 PM
Yeah, it can be kind of a curse to get most of the letters too early.

SportWagon
February 17th, 2022, 10:16 PM
Wordle 243 5/6

Both the third and the fourth I knew to be incorrect.
My second word is in Wordle's dictionary, but not the wordlist on my computer.
Today:
Wordle 244 3/6

Good thing it wasn't PEKOE'

The "Share" seemed to work, but not after the final paste-in.

XHawkeye
February 18th, 2022, 04:23 PM
Wordle 243 X/6*

🟩⬛🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩

I'm so fuckin mad about this :lol:

I'm as 'bad' as you. I too had 5 chances to get the 4th letter and couldn't do it.

Tom Servo
February 18th, 2022, 04:32 PM
I like that the squares are also italicized in the quote.

SportWagon
February 19th, 2022, 01:08 AM
Wordle 245 6/6

I got greedy. Should have done it in five, maybe even four.
I.e.

(No, share does not work for me)

But once you get the...

The following picks the second letter for you...

WHIPSAnd, actually even better than that would be...

WHOMP

Actually, I also forgot about the actual second letter as a possibility.
I got greedy. Should have done it in five, maybe even four.

By-the-way https://www.devangthakkar.com/wordle_archive/?241 has the NYT answer.

XHawkeye
February 19th, 2022, 02:20 PM
Dordle, a knockoff ----> https://zaratustra.itch.io/dordle

Solve one side and then the other side.

Jason
February 19th, 2022, 02:34 PM
I finally lost my streak the other day, but I have been purposefully making the game harder on myself by using hard mode, and starting each day with the previous day's answer. I wish it were more than once a day, but then I'd probably get bored of it quick. Neat little game, shame it had to be sold off to NYT though.

Tom Servo
February 20th, 2022, 09:06 AM
Got lucky today.

Wordle 246 2/6

🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Kchrpm
February 20th, 2022, 10:55 AM
Wordle 246 5/6

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛🟩🟨
🟨⬛🟨🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Daily Lewdle 33 4/6

⬛⬛🟨⬛🟨
🟨⬛⬛🟨⬛
🟩⬛🟨⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

nerdlegame 32 3/6

⬛🟪⬛🟩⬛🟪⬛🟩
🟪🟩⬛🟩🟪🟪⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

SportWagon
February 20th, 2022, 09:49 PM
NYTimes Wordle 247 Hard...

Then Easy, but perhaps I would have taken only three, actually.
(I determined that after my normal first two guesses, there were three possibilities left, and I pretended I would pick the weirdest)

So for Hard, you need to start with words to eliminate the less common "helper letters" you would, in Easy, try and arrange to eliminate afterwards. To guard against getting too much information too soon, which reduces your options.Today four of five letter were common, although in fact there are only approximately 17 five-letter words which use all four.

MR2 Fan
February 21st, 2022, 01:35 AM
I'm 50 for 50 :D

Tom Servo
February 25th, 2022, 04:35 PM
Well, today's sure was a dick.

Wordle 251 5/6

Freude am Fahren
February 25th, 2022, 05:39 PM
I finally lost my streak the other day, but I have been purposefully making the game harder on myself by using hard mode, and starting each day with the previous day's answer. I wish it were more than once a day, but then I'd probably get bored of it quick. Neat little game, shame it had to be sold off to NYT though.

Heh, I didn't realize I was forcing hard mode on myself this whole time. I never use a blanked out letter, and never skip a yellow one.

Still haven't missed one since the first one when lined to in that other thread. Problem is, sometimes I use the computer, sometimes the phone, so my results aren't tallied right. PC has actually lost my stats from before the NYT purchase. I had one miss though for a % of around 90%.

Phone is 100% on 41 games. Streak must reset when you skip a day, since it only has a streak of 25.

SportWagon
February 26th, 2022, 04:03 PM
I finally lost my streak the other day, but I have been purposefully making the game harder on myself by using hard mode, and starting each day with the previous day's answer. I wish it were more than once a day, but then I'd probably get bored of it quick. Neat little game, shame it had to be sold off to NYT though.You intrigued me into trying hard mode. And I thought about it and determined a starting word of mostly uncommon letters which seems to work well, and a similar second one which needs to be adapted if I get matches on the first.

Perhaps you got zonked if the previous day's answer had lots of common letters and also matched several of the letters in the new one, thereby restricting your playing room.

Now each day I play Hard in a previously secondary Firefox profile, and then attempt Easy in my "real" profile (this one), but sort of reverse cheat to avoid getting a better score than I did in Hard. To compare how much easier easy is.

As someone else I think mentioned, Hard mode does not require each guess to technically be a possible solution. All green letters must match, but amber can be replayed in the same position, and black letters can also be replayed. It's not clear when replaying the known invalid letters would be useful, however. Though conceivably you could use it to avoid getting too many greens too early.

speedpimp
February 26th, 2022, 05:36 PM
Wordle 252 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

SportWagon
February 26th, 2022, 08:14 PM
Wordle 253 3/6* (Hard) (Maybe note my local time) 00:14

speedpimp
February 27th, 2022, 09:34 AM
Daily Lewdle 40 3/6
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛��⬛⬛⬛
����������

SportWagon
March 5th, 2022, 11:56 PM
NYTimes Wordle 260 2/6

Me Hard

Me Easy (reverse cheating) (i.e. deliberately picked non-answer at one point)

Computer

Computer with a hint

Computer loses for SHAKE but wins luckily with one hint word and properly with two hint words. It wins on all other words I have recorded, sometimes beating me, sometimes not. That is, I have not turned what I did to choose my first two words for Hard (or techniques for modifying the second word) into an algorithm. (It will be obvious to some that I could just have the computer always start with my first hint word; I'm first trying to see if can do something with the ranking evaluation).

The computer always picks from the possible words remaining, so that's actually harder than Hard.

I have a plan to have the computer pick a random word each night and mail me the results it got.

Jason
March 6th, 2022, 10:24 AM
Seeing other people's results, I'm also glad there's a color blind mode :lol:

Fiat500
March 6th, 2022, 02:42 PM
This one kind of fell into my lap. I was really just trying to eliminate letters.

Wordle 261 2/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Freude am Fahren
March 7th, 2022, 08:02 AM
Heh, that happened to me the other day.

I usually pick my first word randomly based on things around me. This time, Brain Stew by Green Day just came on the radio. So I used Brain. It was Brine, which I tried next. Don't know why I didn't try the more common Bring second, but got lucky there.

SportWagon
March 7th, 2022, 11:50 AM
Although I am not doing anything sophisticated in my computer solving, it seems that as I tweak it to avoid catastrophic losses ("4G traps") it raises the average number of guesses it requires. Seems to be some sort of life lesson there, perhaps.

Eventually I realized that I could go to
https://github.com/DevangThakkar/wordle_archive
to find a relatively authoritative input word list. To my surprise, it is almost 13,000 words.

Today 261 Me: 4/6 Computer: 5/6 (twice, after removing disallowed word), Me Easy: (6/6) (deliberately avoiding correct answer)

Tom Servo
March 7th, 2022, 01:41 PM
I think the full word list is in the Javascript on the page. There's a variable called "Ma" in there that is just a big array of five letter words, and at least the few solutions I could remember off the top of my head all appeared in that array.

SportWagon
March 7th, 2022, 02:29 PM
it would seem VERSA is not on the NYTimes word list.

dodint
March 8th, 2022, 12:59 PM
As in, Nissan?

SportWagon
March 8th, 2022, 02:19 PM
As in VICE

Cam
March 9th, 2022, 05:32 AM
People playing Wordle (and posting about it) remind me of the Star Trek: TNG episode where everyone gets addicted to a game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

SportWagon
March 10th, 2022, 05:51 PM
Remind me again of the origins of gtxforums.net ...

Cam
March 10th, 2022, 06:26 PM
Touche. :finger:

Fiat500
March 11th, 2022, 03:22 AM
So I lost my fucking streak... (65)

Wordle 265 X/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩

drew
March 11th, 2022, 07:24 AM
From Feb 28:

L E A R N
C H O S E
C H O D E
C H O K E

I was so proud of "CHODE", then gutted because it wasn't the solution, but then happy again because it was an actual word in the "dictionary" for the game.

Best one was from Feb 22:
S T E R N
T H O R N

SportWagon
March 11th, 2022, 08:40 AM
NYTimes Wordle 265 Fri March 11, 2022

Me: (Hard) 4/6

Computer: 3/6 (lucky)

Me: (Easy) (faking, assuming I'd get confused) 6/6

But I thought it would zonk some people.

Feb 28 3/3
Me: (Hard)

G
L
Y
P
H

C
H
U
N
K

C
H
O
K
E

drew
March 11th, 2022, 09:08 AM
Does "hard" just mean less guesses?

Freude am Fahren
March 11th, 2022, 02:05 PM
I think it means you can't guess words that don't jive with previous guesses. Black letters can't be used, yellow must be used elsewhere, and green must be used in their correct location?

I had almost always played this way and didn't even realize there was a mode for it. But I do sometimes either by accident, or because I'm stuck don't comply with all of the above. Sometimes I need a word to rule in/out letters and the only word I can think of might violate.

drew
March 11th, 2022, 03:23 PM
Ooof. Hard is, well, hard, then....

So I lost my fucking streak... (65)

Wordle 265 X/6
Mine:

⬜�⬜�⬜
�⬜�⬜⬜
�⬜⬜⬜�
⬜����
⬜����
⬜����

Fuck that shit. and how do you post the grids?

speedpimp
March 11th, 2022, 03:57 PM
Wordle 265 5/6

⬜��⬜��⬜
����⬜⬜⬜
⬜����⬜⬜
⬜����⬜⬜
����������

SportWagon
March 11th, 2022, 06:16 PM
I think it means you can't guess words that don't jive with previous guesses. Black letters can't be used, yellow must be used elsewhere, and green must be used in their correct location?

I had almost always played this way and didn't even realize there was a mode for it. But I do sometimes either by accident, or because I'm stuck don't comply with all of the above. Sometimes I need a word to rule in/out letters and the only word I can think of might violate.Actually, it's not quite as strict as that. All greens must be played in the position, and all orange must be included, but they can be placed in a position where they cannot occur. (I.e. one of the positions played previously and shown as orange). And black letters can be replayed.

At least when I tested it.

But I tend to only use words in the set of remaining possibilities.
My computer program definitely does. It's actually easier to make it do that.

The key to hard is to make sure you do not uncover too much information early, or you can get trapped with no discovery room.

In easy you want to start with popular letters, to confirm or eliminate the most possibilities. Later perhaps you can play an impossible word using rare letters to choose the letter for one particular position in your next guess.

However, in hard you need to play rare letters early so the information about them can be used later.

Jason
March 20th, 2022, 02:48 PM
I've been playing the 'strict' version, plus using the previous day's word as today's starter word. It's been... Interesting. I've definitely lost a couple because of it haha

BUT back to an even distribution, so that's nice. Not sure if this image share will work

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9jpAMje97kZjRo4i8

Yw-slayer
March 20th, 2022, 06:16 PM
Popping in in anti-Fake Space Wizards mode to say that I have never tried this and dislike crosswords. Bye.

Freude am Fahren
March 20th, 2022, 07:16 PM
Missed my first one since it was first posted here yesterday. Forgot about repeat letters again (same as the first one I did, and missed).

My streak that had been going since a few days after discovery had already ended the day before as I was traveling and forgot to play.

SportWagon
March 20th, 2022, 09:37 PM
Popping in in anti-Fake Space Wizards mode to say that I have never tried this and dislike crosswords. Bye.
https://ninchanese.com/blog/2022/01/28/chinese-wordle-play-and-learn-chinese-chengyus/
https://cheeaun.github.io/chengyu-wordle/?lng=en

Yw-slayer
March 20th, 2022, 10:30 PM
My English language abilities are better than my Chinese.

Kchrpm
March 21st, 2022, 06:22 AM
In addition to Wordle, I am now also playing these daily games:

Lewdle: https://www.lewdlegame.com/
Nerdle: https://nerdlegame.com/
Wordle: https://worldle.teuteuf.fr/
Heardle: https://www.heardle.app/
Box Office: https://boxofficega.me/
Framed: https://framed.wtf/

drew
March 21st, 2022, 12:19 PM
I think they should incorporate Urban Dictionary to Wordle. That'd up the challenged.

Kchrpm
March 21st, 2022, 04:53 PM
That's kind of what Lewdle is.

drew
March 22nd, 2022, 03:46 AM
I may have to give that a shot, obscenity and offensiveness is my jam.

speedpimp
March 22nd, 2022, 01:12 PM
That's an understatment.

Fiat500
March 25th, 2022, 11:15 PM
Ugh, this one wasn't very forthcoming.

Wordle 280 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

CudaMan
March 26th, 2022, 02:49 PM
Wordle 280 2/6

⬜��������
����������

Got lucky with my first word today giving some good clues. I always pick a random first word that comes to mind as long as it has no duplicate letters. It's different each time, too.

speedpimp
March 26th, 2022, 05:46 PM
Wordle 280 4/6

⬜��⬜⬜⬜
��⬜⬜⬜��
⬜⬜⬜����
����������

SportWagon
March 26th, 2022, 08:31 PM
NYTimes Wordle 281 2/6* (Sunday March 27, 2022)

Both me and my computer got it in 2.

More details perhaps after PST etc. reaches that day. (Hey! I actually took advantage of daylight savings time, didn't I? Since the current time is about 0:33 EDT)

Jason
April 13th, 2022, 04:22 PM
Looks like the archive got taken down, I had been playing through it at my own pace and I really enjoyed it. Super sad :(

Tom Servo
April 13th, 2022, 05:16 PM
Hmm...the whole thing is basically client-side, I wonder how hard it is to inject different dates into it to continue at your own pace?

Jason
April 13th, 2022, 05:24 PM
I did find an archive I was able to download, which works fine on desktop, but mobile browsers struggle with local sources for some reason. (Beyond my technical expertise at this point)

SportWagon
April 17th, 2022, 06:45 PM
Hmm...the whole thing is basically client-side, I wonder how hard it is to inject different dates into it to continue at your own pace?

Using Linux faketime, pre NYTimes, I was able to go forward, but if you change the time too much the SSL certificates become invalid, and there are even time checks at a lower level which can fail.

I managed to snarf a copy of the archive source from github; I suspect it will go away too if it hasn't already. I didn't look at it in enough detail to see if the list of daily answers was part of that source.

https://github.com/DevangThakkar/wordle_archive
is still there, but indicates that NYTimes "requested" the archive be taken down.

I find the following more addictive...
https://www.quordle.com/#/

dodint
April 28th, 2022, 03:03 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FRdn1Y0XIAAyWT5?format=jpg&name=small

SportWagon
June 6th, 2022, 01:42 PM
So very early every morning now, I...

- Solve Wordle (hard) myself, but utilize tools to help me with guesses
- Have my computer solve Wordle once.
- Then have my computer solve Wordle 100 times
- Then solve Wordle (easy) myself, usually using three conflicting words

I did not intentionally make my computer program have non-deterministic guesses, but because a quick sort is involved in the algorithms used, it turns out it will on some days have multiple routes to the answer. So sometimes the 100 shows a sort of probability distribution.

Then...
- Solve Lewdle

A large number of the solutions, devoid of context, are not really lewd. And I keep a list of past answers and successful guesses to help avoid the red jitters.

I also keep daily records of the Wordle results, including the Computer guess distribution if it did vary that particular day.

Then...
- Solve the Daily Quordle

I use lots of computer tools to help me select my guesses.

SportWagon
August 18th, 2022, 12:06 PM
Some free lunches have ended.

lewdle appears to now be available as apps only.

On the same day (today) quordle added Google advertizing which annoyingly consumes resource for little apparent benefit.

The buy a coffee site quordle previously tried to use had something non-comforting about it. In the old days they would have just told you where to PayPal donations to....

Kchrpm
August 18th, 2022, 01:58 PM
There's a link on the Lewdle page to get to the web version: https://www.lewdlegame.com/App

SportWagon
August 19th, 2022, 01:13 PM
Thanks. I thought I tried several apparent links.

Oh. I could not scroll down to the web link. I should have tried ctrl - PEACH BOUND MILKY FARTSIt looks like quordle has now tuned their advertizing a bit.

Fiat500
November 6th, 2022, 12:29 AM
So, I went and got it on the first try for the first time. Yay!

SportWagon
November 14th, 2022, 12:27 AM
Lewdle has started repeating previously used words.
Apparently randomly though; i.e. it does not seem to be repeating a previous sequence of answers.

Some day I discovered you can play 5-letter words in a 6-letter lewdle game.

Fiat500
April 8th, 2023, 03:58 PM
April 9th... interesting word...

speedpimp
April 9th, 2023, 01:23 PM
sitch norm all effed up.

Fiat500
April 9th, 2023, 02:29 PM
Yeah, other acronyms have become words, like radar and laser, but this was an unexpected one.

speedpimp
April 9th, 2023, 03:22 PM
FUBAR("Fouled" Up Beyond All Recognition) is another great one. DILLIGAF is a personal favorite of mine.

SportWagon
November 4th, 2023, 09:34 PM
I continue to play the NY Times Wordle in hard mode, using my computer tools to help me. (And also comparing my result with 100 tries by the computer alone (use of a quick sort means it does not always make its guesses in the same order)).

In another browser profile I also, after I know the answer, play in Easy mode, using a reasonably static set of words, and using my tools to help me see how close I get, and making "reasonable choices" for this Easy player.

Today (Sunday November 5, 2023) I happened to need to illustrate the difference between the strict definition of "hard mode", and requiring that all words played be actual possibilities.

N
Y
M
P
H

T
R
U
C
K

R
A
D
I
O

S
W
E
A
R

B
A
R
G
E

F
L
A
R
E

Because I'd got myself, after SWEAR, in a near trap with all of BLARE, FLARE and GLARE remaining as possibilities, but only two guesses left, I needed to get at least two of the three letters B, F, G in my guess. Also I preferably needed to includde G since AGREE was also still a possibility. (And try and make sure my guess would confirm or contradict that also).

Now BARGE is not possible, but you can replay an orange letter in the position you first played it and still meet the rules. Similarly, you can replay letters which have been eliminated. (Problem would be that if they disallowed such wrong guesses, it would actually make it easier for you to determine the correct word by trial-and-error).

Quite likely I should have made a different guess earlier and avoided the situation, but I don't claim to be a great natural player, and I was awake at the time because of accidental caffeine consumption, so not necessarily thinking at my best. Understand that my general approach to Hard Mode is to avoid getting too much information too early by playing mostly unlikely letters early on. (That avoids traps; you sort of save the rare letter information until later).

I think I used to have a better Wordle chart generator, but can't actually find it.

Fiat500
November 5th, 2023, 01:18 AM
I usually start with three words that uses all the vowels and a fair amount of common consonants, and mostly have it on the fourth try. I used to be less boring before.
As of today the distribution is 1/13/85/269/141/27 for 1-6 tries.

More importantly, how does accidental caffeine consumption happen?

SportWagon
November 6th, 2023, 09:34 PM
I had bought a new flavour of CLIF Builders bars. That day I did not notice the box said "PROTEIN + CAFFEINE", and also later "65mg CAFFEINE". Somehow I just noticed they were "Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough" flavour instead of the "Chocolate" I usually try to get.

And so I tried one of them at about 4 pm in the afternoon. (I actually seem to recall avoiding their purchase on a previous day, because of the caffeine, but that day I was in more of a hurry or something). In a different "forum" (Strava) I used the word "careless" instead of "accidental".

If you play the same three words all the time, I guess you are not playing in hard mode?
Hard mode requires that all fully matched (green) letters be played in their position, and all partially matched (orange) letters also be included.
Which is not quite the same as requiring that all words played must be possible. But does mean you can "run out of room" for making your guesses.

0/20/127/298/187/30 ("enhanced")

Fiat500
November 7th, 2023, 06:34 AM
Haha! 👍

I used to play something more resembling hard mode early on, but play more systematically now. Which also probably is more boring.
I may play a couple of rounds of hard mode, it seems more fun.

Fiat500
November 19th, 2023, 01:15 AM
The day has come!
The word I have dreaded and anticipated is here, and I emerged victorious!

SportWagon
January 20th, 2024, 09:14 PM
NYTimes Wordle Sun January 21, 2024
(How did we used to know what the puzzle number was?)

Me: (Hard) 2/6

Me: (Hard)

N
Y
M
P
H

N
O
R
T
H

Wordle should start repeating answers, because whether a word was an answer already is becoming too useful information.

SportWagon
March 25th, 2024, 09:38 PM
It seems now that if you visit the wordle page without previous history, NYTimes will no longer keep your history in your cookies for you; they insist you sign up for a free account.

Unfortunately, this can also happen after the dreaded "something went wrong" error, Which I actually thought they had fixed. (It used to merely incorrectly break your streek).

In Lewdle I am having good success by analyzing its dictionary as defined by previous answers (and also allowed clue words). And then, when several answers are possible, examining which ones were most recent often allows me to get the answer on the second guess.

SportWagon
April 10th, 2024, 11:09 AM
...And a few days ago NYTimes began to ignore your/my hard-won cookie history entirely. So I keep playing each day, recording my results, and some day might write my own analyzer to determine my stats from that. (In the past bugs would cause your streak to get incorrectly broken, anyway).

As I say I record the results from every day. And, since it has been announced somewhere that Wordle will never repeat, old results often provide useful information to eliminate possible choices.