PDA

View Full Version : Rental Car Review: 2022 BMW 318d

Yw-slayer
September 11th, 2022, 07:46 PM

TLDR Version: Fine.

Rented from Sixt in Victoria Train Station, London, UK. Needed to drive from SW London to Kent, then to Beford (for a Palmersport trackday with samoht), in one day. Around 200 miles over the course of an afternoon and evening. Then back to London after the Palmersport day. So I wanted something comfortable and quick.

Engine and transmission: BMW 2.0 diesel but tuned to 1.8d limits, a bit clattery on startup and at a stop, but NVH kept to a minimum otherwise. Good torque as one would expect from a diesel. A bit more than enough to enable some fun for a single passenger with a carry-on. Probably a bit underpowered if 4-up with luggage.

Steering and Handling: Pretty good with pretty decent weight and so on, although it seemed a bit less lively than the 2 previous-gen 3s that I've driven although I didn't really spend much time trying to cane it. Don't remember what tyres they were but I think they were not HP/UHP tyres. Firm and planted in all modes. Comfort was fine 99% of the time, Sport a bit more fun for B-Roads but not absolutely necessary. There is an Active (let the car decide) mode but I didn't really use that.

Interior: Really very good now. BMW have really improved their interiors to the extent that they now match or better those from mid-2010 Audis (this is not a backhanded compliment). Full Apple Carplay worked fine on the large screens and made life relatively easy. Only things are that (a) I couldn't use Android Auto (which I would have preferred) as BMW requires that it use the Wifi connection, as when I set off my Android was set up to tether to my iphone's local sim hence I just used Carplay instead - hence I couldn't test the mics by using Hey Google etc. (b) There was a minor blip when I had to reconnect Carplay on the way to Kent since it acted up. There was also a USB-C input in the centre console, which was what I used. Sound quality decent overall for this class of car - I think I mine was fully loaded with the Harmann/Kardon stereo. No sunroof which was fine. Very nice leather seats, good steering wheel, etc. Plastics also much better than previous-generation (compared with friend's M3 which I sat in during my time in the UK).

Practicality: Good. The previous renters left their used water bottles in the centre console. As Sixt clearly hadn't bothered to clean the interior of the car I immediately threw those water bottles onto the rear floor and wiped the F out of that area and other contact points. Side cubbies in door were good and spacious. I don't think it had the special headlights turning with steering etc. Good sized boot would have fit a lot of stuff if I'd had it. Car is rather large, though, and feels like an F10 5-series around town (although still not as solid).

Looks: White, blacked out bits.

Other stuff: As I had expected, and was good for what I needed.

Verdict: A- as an exec car for getting to places in comfort. B- if you prize enthusiasm or excitement.