PDA

View Full Version : Choose one "The only vehicle I'd ever need"

MR2 Fan
January 25th, 2023, 09:34 PM
Pick a vehicle that you could say meets all your needs....is there a "perfect" vehicle out there?

I have my ideas and will share them later

Rare White Ape
January 25th, 2023, 09:42 PM
Porsche 911 GT3

Leon
January 25th, 2023, 09:48 PM
GR Yaris.

Fastish, economicalish, Toyota reliable (hopefully), comfyish.

neanderthal
January 25th, 2023, 09:55 PM
Original W124 AMG Hammer coupe with the widebody.
Or the station wagon. I don't mind either.

Yw-slayer
January 25th, 2023, 11:04 PM
WRX STi wagon

Kchrpm
January 26th, 2023, 04:14 AM
Current needs? C7 Corvette Grand Sport
Potential needs? Doesn't exist

dodint
January 26th, 2023, 05:09 AM
BMW E46 Touring would tick a lot of boxes and keep me happy while still providing the needed utility for day-to-day operations.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/km-dsc-4406-1556642608.jpg

Phil_SS
January 26th, 2023, 06:10 AM
Ferrari FF. AWD, V12, wagon.

MR2 Fan
January 26th, 2023, 06:31 AM
My requirements: Seating for 4 to 5 people
Lots of storage space
Towing capability
6-speed manual
good power
and since I'm the resident Toyota fanboi.............

Tacoma X-Runner with the TRD Supercharger

https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/800x450/format/jpg/quality/85/http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2013/08/toyota-tacoma-x-runner.jpg

dodint
January 26th, 2023, 06:33 AM
What are you towing if you only have one vehicle? Jet ski?

MR2 Fan
January 26th, 2023, 06:47 AM
What are you towing if you only have one vehicle? Jet ski?

rental supercars :D

Crazed_Insanity
January 26th, 2023, 06:49 AM
And how the hell can you stuff 5 people in that thing?

I have never owned a BMW in my life out of fear of expensive repair bills, but since this exercise is just for the hell of it, my pick would be BMW X5 xDrive 45e.

It looks good. Sporty. Luxurious. Can fit an entire family easily. Could go off road. Can tow 6000 lbs. Green enough to be an EV for around 50 miles.

But I still might need a spare vehicle in case it breaks down. Then again, might be my prejudice against BMW since it is now above industry average according to latest jd power 3 year reliability survey. BMW is more dependable than Honda/Acura now! :eek:

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2022-us-vehicle-dependability-study

Kchrpm
January 26th, 2023, 06:50 AM
BMW E46 Touring would tick a lot of boxes and keep me happy while still providing the needed utility for day-to-day operations.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/km-dsc-4406-1556642608.jpg

This reminded me of my old answer for potential needs: Dodge Magnum SRT. The Ferrari FF was replaced by the GTC4Lusso, so that also gets there.

MR2 Fan
January 26th, 2023, 07:44 AM
This reminded me of my old answer for potential needs: Dodge Magnum SRT.

That's another good one

Phil_SS
January 26th, 2023, 08:16 AM
This reminded me of my old answer for potential needs: Dodge Magnum SRT. The Ferrari FF was replaced by the GTC4Lusso, so that also gets there.

I mean honestly, the first vehicle I thought of was a Volvo V90 T6 R-Design. I just decided to step it up a notch. The Ferrari is dreamware while the Volvo is certainly attainable.

Kchrpm
January 26th, 2023, 08:29 AM
I'm surprised it wasn't just a WRX STi wagon for you, which I presume exists.

FaultyMario
January 26th, 2023, 08:55 AM
The indestructible Toyota Hilux.

dodint
January 26th, 2023, 09:36 AM
I had one. It broke.

neanderthal
January 26th, 2023, 09:54 AM

Izzat the one with the M3 engine and the 325iX hardware that was Frankensteined by some random dude? The all wheel drive M3 wagon?

Phil_SS
January 26th, 2023, 09:59 AM
I'm surprised it wasn't just a WRX STi wagon for you, which I presume exists.

Not in left hand drive. And honestly, I like big luxury cars and I love wagons. Thus, biggest Volvo wagon is the way to go.

Although I guess a Audi RS6 Avant could fit the bill as well. But then that got me thinking, not for this exercise, but wonder what Audi R8s go for these day......? Hmmm, cheapest manual is 72k, Cheapest auto is 65k. Not too shabby.

FaultyMario
January 26th, 2023, 10:18 AM
I had one. It broke.

But that was under the ≡xtreme conditions of Central Asia, was it not?

MR2 Fan
January 26th, 2023, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure about "best 4x4 ever made"...that will always be the Landcruiser for me but this is very intriguing as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibxsnsegDWU

FaultyMario
January 26th, 2023, 10:28 AM
Wanker!

In some dialects of Spanish "pajero" means just that, "someone who masturbates".

dodint
January 26th, 2023, 10:52 AM
Izzat the one with the M3 engine and the 325iX hardware that was Frankensteined by some random dude? The all wheel drive M3 wagon?

Yeah. I just grabbed it for the picture, I wouldn't recommend it in that configuration. The AWD is silly and doesn't really add anything but complexity and weight.

MR2 Fan
January 26th, 2023, 10:53 AM
Yep, that's the only problem...well and no LHD versions (for me). Someday I'm just going to have to buy a RHD manual transmission vehicle to get used to it if I want to enjoy a lot of JDM cars

TheBenior
January 26th, 2023, 03:08 PM
I'd be good with a MK7.5 Golf R wagon even though the fuel economy is mediocre.

Godson
January 26th, 2023, 04:32 PM
I uh....will need to think on this one.

samoht
January 26th, 2023, 11:43 PM
The RX-7 was my only vehicle for seven years, so I'd go back to that if I only had one. Works well for two people, adequately comfortable on long trips, enough luggage space, good on track, always puts a smile on my face.

I'd rather put up with the practical compromises of the RX-7 than lose the chance to drive something exciting.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/WjOd5oBP_QHr5lnZXtYrL7OtWjxBGDHOxB57uzjYr5pj4oFGLb WtdaHNZENOLXlsmoDgHQqPx23HXzen17GJ_bPS7J_ECnxeUIlx JFuLwXUfv4gT3UgfgTeMmEsqu-dUKaeNnTWSscymk6wANsGJhXQO2N_qfVLfytcCC8n2ElNxWcNi JmAUnSUCNX6GKUemWVUUyB6ypps9GXvJOQ8KD-jNu696XKgqkiHO_4LKk3nN-ZCQVUUqbLbDkVgVNxPcjATkpg969hYqvlcUO2ztliu3_WUukzY h0Fs4kKVdLPpGzTtR69Ngy7osK7gu-8QLnaQhcHHBvqwrwe1AGtBMN2VOktJTBqc018-TrKJv09qXOU5p5xdceX3g203hq_jKjNrAwx3BWDnTfdADUNQ-0e7zqijIZ95e7m2cM8jRlHuAf3-3oku9szZvNGQtMYJrvTZXONz8aQZq0sAE7GxQ09PiqHDC6tTXf 10fXufbJKbT_n_xous4YEqwaMNVHRSmv0gKRyB5kTIKujH5vS_ hwAwrFRsOv01WcATRfWerx9nyF4uRUrFULvpP9bX4U0NrtDeor 1X2ZSaqtQstylfLnGKEhzvHUxIFTI7ZTWTrBx3Wca2ai8SyA-jYtRyF_ufBHX113Fz327yivHQcb9FD3QwFMHNYaTSkWH_Ptsu3 e_0yqo-rCh6RUrt8-2eAIbgr6uTqcAhP2YZJYLP5ux_Xme7aVJaS72mqyMlnrcXa2mo 8ELZ1AVCXt4pZtyHrcUZaifbgpZpf5C8Djuj9na_niCiAHQlFF wz-g3JPbTf146_AokhpOmDrm14qU8TvOS4X0NMaaoDgHkhbNSb_AY gokPmLIaU6fjQjHII6iBn3zMxVeOizkB6fLSHWF2v6N0Wre22q 2BW-uVC9sUz9yM2vz_4IuPAcQHTaITbLE06a9wqV_bci4R5b-j3maXRIbJzBPHWSKRG48HTyaxp6yiw=w2340-h1825-no?authuser=0

Rare White Ape
January 27th, 2023, 12:39 AM
I'd rather put up with the practical compromises of the RX-7 than lose the chance to drive something exciting.

See, now we are talking.

99% of the time when a bunch of car-dorks like us get together and discuss the 'every car for every person' topic it usually revolves around performance cars with a bit of extra space. Most of the replies here are wagons or SUVs with grippy tyres and firm suspension, as they are in a lot of similar discussions. Bleeding pretenders! Cars like these are merely adapted from properly practical go-getters into things that will resemble something actually exciting to drive at-best.

I am here to say NO! You don't want a performance car, you want a SPORTS CAR that's hard to get in and out of but can also carry the groceries. Hency my immediate and direct reply of Porsche 911 GT3.

That car is the ultimate rendition of Ferdinand Porsche's original vision of a sports car that can carry a young family and also be exciting to drive. Engine in the back, luggage in the front. Kids sit where the likes of Ferrari et-al would put a motor. Porsche made it work, and for 60 years the 911 family has been the greatest line of sports cars ever made. I don't have to back up my reasoning because if it wasn't able to prove this by merely existing, then it would not exist.

The RX-7 is Mazda's own take on such a thing; two adult seats, two kid-sized seats, enough room in the boot for a weekend away. The 3rd-generation still looks like a weapon some 20 years after it was retired. Mazda took it further than the other grand-toury front-engined coupes in that part of the market by making the car a little bit sleeker and lower than any of its competitors, and also throwing a rotary into the mix just for the heck of it. As such, it is easy to argue that the RX-7 is a wonderful and somewhat practical sports car with enough of a car-dork quirk to make it stand head and shoulders above many of the other supposed every car for every person suggestions.

If you say you want an every car for every person type of car that will tow a caravan, it means you don't want an every car for every person. It means that you want something that tows a caravan, and appears on the outside to be an every car for every person. In reality, an SUV or wagon that has an outwardly performance car appearance is actually a very bland device that has been given the characteristics of an exciting car, but the excitement melts away as soon as a closer inspection has taken place.

JSGeneral
January 27th, 2023, 03:18 AM
...In reality, an SUV or wagon that has an outwardly performance car appearance is actually a very bland device that has been given the characteristics of an exciting car, but the excitement melts away as soon as a closer inspection has taken place.

My 2016 4Runner TRD-Pro is still exciting. It's more Mad-Max than car-like... can tumble through logging trails but also retains a sophistication to look nice driving through a city. It's comfortable to drive when you want to drive comfortable, a beast to drive when you want that, handles weather, has the height to look above most traffic, has a real-life four wheel drive shifter (not a button or dial) that I can feel the engine hum through the handle... and it will still start, operate, and won't crap out if AWS servers go down during the apocalypse.

Currently I'm a one-vehicle household, and I'll hold onto this vehicle for as long as I can. I plan for it to be my last ICE I purchase. (Yup, I'm going electric in the next 5 years. Tired of watching these oil companies gut the earth and it's citizens. That may be triggering to read--I understand that. Might as well give you all full reason to disagree with me: my next vehicle is planned to be a Rivian. That is probably still a few years away. This 4Runner--and all it's joys--will last well beyond I own an EV...)

dodint
January 27th, 2023, 03:50 AM
I'm not sure that enjoying the wagon version of my racecar is yearning for a pretender.

Kchrpm
January 27th, 2023, 04:18 AM
The question wasn't an every car for every person, it was for a car that does all the things you need. That doesn't mean a truly perfect car, because it will be compromised at some things in order to be capable at other things. If you have more than one person to bring with you, then your car needs more than two seats. If you want to be able to carry around large sound/photography/camping/whatever equipment because you enjoy doing those things and they're important to your standard of living, then a wagon is a great choice.

For some people there is more to life than daily driving and track days. That doesn't make them pretenders.

JoeW
January 27th, 2023, 04:30 AM
Imma say 4Runner also. We have a standard 2011 SR5 2wd but if I could afford a new TRD Pro I’d be all over it.

dodint
January 27th, 2023, 04:48 AM
The question wasn't an every car for every person, it was for a car that does all the things you need. That doesn't mean a truly perfect car, because it will be compromised at some things in order to be capable at other things. If you have more than one person to bring with you, then your car needs more than two seats. If you want to be able to carry around large sound/photography/camping/whatever equipment because you enjoy doing those things and they're important to your standard of living, then a wagon is a great choice.

For some people there is more to life than daily driving and track days. That doesn't make them pretenders.

The M6 is kind of this car for me. There isn't a lot it doesn't do, which is the reason Tyler and I were planning for it to be our first OneLap car. Fast, comfortable, lots of storage. The only reason I nominated the E46 touring as my entry was that we would have a hard time carrying a dog around in the M6. There is nothing like being able to open the hatch to the cargo area and throwing the bitch inside. ;)

JoeW
January 27th, 2023, 04:53 AM
There are a couple of super nice Audi Avants in my area that I see occasionally. Pretty rare sight but cool.

Crazed_Insanity
January 27th, 2023, 06:55 AM
I have to agree, SUVs are the ultimate pretenders. It pretends to be sporty and it pretends to be a truck too! Some days I feel like a sports car and some days I feel like a truck that can haul. My current Kia Sorento can already do the job pretty well in that regard. I just thought BMW X-5 plugin hybrid can fulfill the job even better with higher towing capacity and it can even pretend to be an EV for like 30~40 miles! :D

Godson
January 27th, 2023, 06:33 PM
The M6 is kind of this car for me. There isn't a lot it doesn't do, which is the reason Tyler and I were planning for it to be our first OneLap car. Fast, comfortable, lots of storage. The only reason I nominated the E46 touring as my entry was that we would have a hard time carrying a dog around in the M6. There is nothing like being able to open the hatch to the cargo area and throwing the bitch inside. ;)

M6 wagon would be cool.

Does it need to be a certain vintage?

Can it be modded?

Am I overthinking this,absolutely. This has to be my always car.

dodint
January 28th, 2023, 04:26 AM
I mean, you could make one. The E60 5-series came in a touring, you would just have to swap over the running gear from the M6.

Godson
January 28th, 2023, 10:43 AM
Would that give it a bigger fuel tank?

Kchrpm
January 28th, 2023, 11:03 AM
If you put in a bigger fuel tank as part of this fantasy, yes.

Rikadyn
January 28th, 2023, 12:15 PM
Datsun 510 wagon, vh45de, probably Z suspension and everything else underneath.

Dicknose
January 29th, 2023, 04:01 PM
That car is the ultimate rendition of Ferdinand Porsche's original vision of a sports car that can carry a young family and also be exciting to drive. Engine in the back, luggage in the front. Kids sit where the likes of Ferrari et-al would put a motor.
Dont have a family... very happy with my only car being a 2 seater Porsche!
Does the shopping and taking the cans/bottles to the return-n-earn recycling centre!
Can fit a cricket bat (just)

Would still need a motorbike, because motorbike!
But one car.. yeah

samoht
January 29th, 2023, 11:14 PM
I mean, you could make one. The E60 5-series came in a touring, you would just have to swap over the running gear from the M6.

The E61 M5 Touring exists as a factory model

https://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/BMW-M5-Touring-E61-001-750x562.jpg
https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/01/22/e61-bmw-m5-touring-one-of-the-best-m-cars-of-all-time/

I guess the only issue is it wasn't officially imported to the States, so 25 year rule?

Leon
January 30th, 2023, 12:22 AM
I'm thinking that the GR Yaris would put a smile on my dial, and the compromise would be not the performance, but that it's too small for anything more than two people and a small amount of gear.

I did manage to get a full set of semi slicks on 18x8.5 wheels in the back, but it was pretty snug, and all my luggage and trolley jack was stacked up on and around the passenger seat.

dodint
January 30th, 2023, 04:35 AM

I guess the only issue is it wasn't officially imported to the States, so 25 year rule?

You know what's funny? I recently watched a Youtube video about this car a while back, with Richard Hammond. But it completely slipped my mind that it existed. I guess that's my entry, then. When I was shopping for the Saab I was going to buy an E60 535 Touring but it sold before I could get to it.

Yw-slayer
January 30th, 2023, 05:48 PM

https://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/BMW-M5-Touring-E61-001-750x562.jpg
https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/01/22/e61-bmw-m5-touring-one-of-the-best-m-cars-of-all-time/

There were a few privately-imported into HK. 2 of my friends had 1 each (although perhaps one was a sedan? Don't remember, been too long). They were great cars, right up until random stuff in and around the V10 started going off. Then very expensive to fix. There's a reason he (and another friend of mine who also had one) got rid of his after a year or so, but still runs a (chipped and ultra-quick even with 4 people in it) bugeye STI wagon.

I guess it might be the only car one ever needs if one has unlimited moneyz. I suspect the M340Xi Touring or the current M3 Touring (if you don't mind the looks) may be better choices overall.

dodint
January 31st, 2023, 04:32 AM
It's weird to me that someone would buy an F1 derived/inspired V10 and then be surprised it needs preventative maintenance to be reliable in a sedan/wagon. :lol:

Yw-slayer
January 31st, 2023, 05:33 AM
I’m not saying it’s surprising - more that the 3s may be better choices!

Godson
January 31st, 2023, 07:09 AM
Ice whittled it down to 3....

Crazed_Insanity
January 31st, 2023, 11:36 AM
And how the hell can you stuff 5 people in that thing?

I have never owned a BMW in my life out of fear of expensive repair bills, but since this exercise is just for the hell of it, my pick would be BMW X5 xDrive 45e.

It looks good. Sporty. Luxurious. Can fit an entire family easily. Could go off road. Can tow 6000 lbs. Green enough to be an EV for around 50 miles.

But I still might need a spare vehicle in case it breaks down. Then again, might be my prejudice against BMW since it is now above industry average according to latest jd power 3 year reliability survey. BMW is more dependable than Honda/Acura now! :eek:

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2022-us-vehicle-dependability-study

I think I might need to update my all-in-one pick now that Mazda has introduced it's CX-90 plugin hybrid SUV!
https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/cx-90

Not much details yet, but Mazda should be more reliable and cheaper than BMW... I hope.

retsmah
January 31st, 2023, 08:05 PM
If money isn't an issue can I talk Koenigsegg into making a Gemera with a tow hitch?

Godson
January 31st, 2023, 10:57 PM
Would you need a tow hitch on a Gemera?

Crazed_Insanity
February 1st, 2023, 07:00 AM
Uh..., if money is totally not relevant and that thing can have a tow hitch, that'd definitely be my vehicle! :p

Phil_SS
February 1st, 2023, 07:15 AM
I mean, it's tow rating would be like 500 lbs but ok.......:D

CudaMan
February 1st, 2023, 08:38 AM
Idunno, only one vehicle for life is a challenge. I'd want something that I might be able to take on light duty off road adventures and haul stuff, but also I'd want to be able to do track days. So I'd guess it'd have to be a sporting SUV that can hack it decently enough on the dirt without getting destroyed, but not top heavy enough to tip over on track. What even exists like that? I don't know that market segment well. BMW X5M might be too tall. I love me some fast wagons, so maybe a wagon with a small lift kit could fit the bill? I'm a RWD guy but the Audi RS6 Avant is strikingly cool...

CudaMan
February 1st, 2023, 08:47 AM
For general fun and daily driving, without consideration for off road capability, Kenton Koch had a great idea - he N5x swapped his E91, making his own 335i Touring. That would be fun. I tried to buy a wagon 328i myself but with the premiums they command I ended up with a nicer sedan rather than a rougher wagon.

Kchrpm
February 1st, 2023, 09:43 AM
Cuda: Porsche 911 Dakar?

Crazed_Insanity
February 1st, 2023, 09:49 AM
Porsche Cayenne turbo GT could do Nürburgring in 7:39. Is that a decent time? That’s the fastest SUV with 6000 lb tow capacity! :p

Godson
February 1st, 2023, 09:59 AM
Cuda, with that list of restrictions, that leaves you with SUVs.

Macan GTS is probably the best call for you, or maybe the Cayenne Turbo.

I mean, manufacturers are starting to do special "Dakar" and "rough road" builds that could be pretty badass.

Ok, my answer is,

Cyan Racing P1800.

Crazed_Insanity
February 8th, 2023, 10:41 AM
I think I might need to update my all-in-one pick now that Mazda has introduced it's CX-90 plugin hybrid SUV!
https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/cx-90

Not much details yet, but Mazda should be more reliable and cheaper than BMW... I hope.

Man, disappointing to learn Mazda CX90 plugin hybrid can only tow 3500 lbs! :(

I was really hoping for a more capable plugin hybrid tow vehicle that can also zoom zoom at a more affordable price...

I guess BMW X5 and maybe Jeep GC 4xe are still my only options...

Maybe it's just stupid to try to have 1 car that can do it all! :p

FaultyMario
February 8th, 2023, 12:13 PM
Idunno, only one vehicle for life is a challenge. I'd want something that I might be able to take on light duty off road adventures and haul stuff, but also I'd want to be able to do track days. So I'd guess it'd have to be a sporting SUV that can hack it decently enough on the dirt without getting destroyed, but not top heavy enough to tip over on track. What even exists like that? I don't know that market segment well. BMW X5M might be too tall. I love me some fast wagons, so maybe a wagon with a small lift kit could fit the bill? I'm a RWD guy but the Audi RS6 Avant is strikingly cool...

Ariel Nomad with a tow hitch?

George
February 8th, 2023, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't want to have to choose one last vehicle ever, but today my answer is one of these with AWD and a V6.

Tomorrow, I might think of something else.

https://ourautoexpert.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Honda-Crosstour-LSR.jpg

neanderthal
February 9th, 2023, 09:26 AM
I wouldn't want to have to choose one last vehicle ever, but today my answer is one of these with AWD and a V6.

Tomorrow, I might think of something else.

https://ourautoexpert.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Honda-Crosstour-LSR.jpg

My eyes, my eyes!!!!

Please post a NSFW warning first. :D

George
February 9th, 2023, 12:07 PM
Hey, I already drive the Pontiac Aztek of wanna-be pickup trucks. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Utility, reliability, and longevity are what matter to me.

Sorry you won't be beholding anything until your eyes heal. :lol:

FaultyMario
February 9th, 2023, 06:59 PM
Fastbacks subtract 20 points of drag, they are therefore a superior shape to the three-volume sedan. It's science, bitch!

MR2 Fan
February 11th, 2023, 02:42 PM
Hey, I already drive the Pontiac Aztek of wanna-be pickup trucks. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Utility, reliability, and longevity are what matter to me.

Sorry you won't be beholding anything until your eyes heal. :lol:

You drive a Hyundai Santa Fe?

FaultyMario
February 11th, 2023, 03:19 PM
Dude, he posted the picture of a Waccord!

MR2 Fan
February 11th, 2023, 04:57 PM
I didn't think that's what he's already driving

FaultyMario
February 11th, 2023, 05:09 PM
IIRC, George drives a 200k mile Honda Accord while his wife drives the nice car, a Honda Pilot.

Rikadyn
February 12th, 2023, 05:59 AM

speedpimp
February 12th, 2023, 01:40 PM
Fastbacks subtract 20 points of drag, they are therefore a superior shape to the three-volume sedan. It's science, bitch!
Thank you, Mr. Pinkman!

George
February 13th, 2023, 07:46 AM
IIRC, George drives a 200k mile Honda Accord while his wife drives the nice car, a Honda Pilot.

In 2019, I replaced the twenty-year-old Accord that had 256K miles with a ten-year-old Ridgeline. Now the Pilot is up around 215K miles or so and my wife is ready for something else after driving it for maybe twelve years now. Not sure when she bought it, but the kids were in car seats then and are in high school now.

CudaMan
February 13th, 2023, 08:58 AM

A contender for sure. Would need swapping of suspension between trackdays and camping, which may or may not subvert the rules of this very serious What If. :p

George
February 13th, 2023, 10:39 AM
The answer for CudaMan is clear: https://journal.classiccars.com/2021/01/05/autohunter-spotlight-1972-ford-country-squire-custom-dually-wagon/

Yw-slayer
February 13th, 2023, 02:20 PM
In 2019, I replaced the twenty-year-old Accord that had 256K miles with a ten-year-old Ridgeline. Now the Pilot is up around 215K miles or so and my wife is ready for something else after driving it for maybe twelve years now. Not sure when she bought it, but the kids were in car seats then and are in high school now.

Subaru BRZ manual or Toyota GR Yaris.

neanderthal
February 13th, 2023, 06:23 PM

The basic Mercedes W124*, in 1984, had a .28 drag coefficient. 40 years ago. And that is a 3 box design.

Wagon mine, used for representation. I used to have a sedan but this is the one I have now. There was a sedan, coupe, cabriolet and a wagon variants of the W124.

It's all in the design.

* basic meaning only one rear view mirror on the drivers side and skinny 195/ 65R15 tires.

Crazed_Insanity
February 13th, 2023, 08:58 PM
I’m a bit baffled by its low Cd, but that design definitely withstood the test of time very well! :up:

MR2 Fan
February 14th, 2023, 11:27 AM
On that note, check the Mythbusters episode where they compared drag on a pickup with the tailgate up vs the tailgate down....the tailgate up was more efficient

FaultyMario
February 14th, 2023, 12:35 PM
Thank you, Mr. Pinkman!

So do you have a plan?

Dicknose
February 16th, 2023, 12:40 PM
A contender for sure. Would need swapping of suspension between trackdays and camping, which may or may not subvert the rules of this very serious What If. :p
Had a Forester XT (turbo - with plenty of poke). Sure it went ok, carried a lot and could handle off-road.
But for me, Id rather the Boxster for my one and only.