PDA

View Full Version : What are we drinking?

Pages : 1 [2]

Cam
November 6th, 2021, 08:19 AM
Yeah, it's like drinking maple syrup. :lol: Drinking it over ice waters it down a little. My wife really likes it.

Cam
November 30th, 2021, 08:08 PM
Edmunds Oast Brewing, Charleston. I've had a few of their beers in the past and did not necessarily like them. They have many varieties, so I decided to try several I have not tried previously. I bought eight cans. So far, three of them were bad and I did not enjoy the others. I think I have two left. My suggestion is to avoid Edmunds Oast Brewing.

SportWagon
December 1st, 2021, 09:54 PM
Reminds me of French class.

Goûtons voir (oui! oui! oui!)
Goûtons voir (non! non! non!)
Goûtons voir si le vin est bon

Cam
December 2nd, 2021, 06:26 AM
Another can was bad. WTF? It's not like they were the same batch either. Every can was a different variety.

SportWagon
December 5th, 2021, 06:12 PM
What an ingenious way for them to get rid of bad beer.

Cam
December 6th, 2021, 05:15 AM
I am wondering if it is this particular beer store. I got some Guinness there this week that did not taste right. Maybe it's the store getting rid of their bad beer, not the brewery. :erm:

Ashie
December 7th, 2021, 01:33 PM
Yeah, it's like drinking maple syrup. :lol: Drinking it over ice waters it down a little. My wife really likes it.

I'll give that a try next time.

Tom Servo
December 9th, 2021, 05:23 PM
Another can was bad. WTF? It's not like they were the same batch either. Every can was a different variety.

I ran into that with Big Bad Baptist from Epic Brewing a year or two ago. It's supposed to be a malty, boozy imperial russian stout, but the ones I kept getting were ultra sour. I messaged the brewery that they clearly had an infected batch out on the market, but never heard back. I also stopped buying anything from Epic.

dodint
December 18th, 2021, 04:45 PM

If you enjoy a bit of egg nog this time of year, this was pretty tasty:

1.5 oz. Salted Caramel Whisky
4.5 oz. eggnog
1 oz. caramel syrup
nutmeg

Cam
December 19th, 2021, 05:56 AM
:up:

SportWagon
December 24th, 2021, 01:51 PM
A little bit of Bowmore 12, every now-and-then. Neat. Perhaps with a drop of water if I happen to remember the recommendation of Bill the Bartender.

FaultyMario
December 24th, 2021, 04:32 PM
My mezcalito.

Tom Servo
December 30th, 2021, 09:32 AM
There's really only one brand of Norwegian Aquavit that is available in the US - Linie. It's not bad, but it's not the best one either. I have a bottle of Gammel Oppland but that is nearly done, and a bottle of Bergen, but travel to Norway right now is pretty much off the table.

Turns out there's a distillery down in Santa Ana near LA that makes Norwegian style Aquavit called Blinking Owl and they just put out a "barrel vacationed" one that mimics Linie's schtick. It's actually quite good. Better than Linie and Bergen, not as good as Gammel Oppland. Got my dad a bottle as well for Christmas, where he had some Gilde Jule Aquavit.

Edit: I take that back, there's also Høvding, which I haven't tried yet. I'll have to try to track that down as well.

Cam
December 30th, 2021, 11:05 AM
I had to look up Akvavit. I read the description and thought, "That's a nope from me." :lol:

FaultyMario
December 30th, 2021, 05:20 PM
Screwdrivers.

Tom Servo
December 30th, 2021, 06:35 PM
Hah, you sound like my wife. She hates the stuff.

I like it, but pretty much only the Norwegian kind. Danish kind (usually Aalborg) is sorta okay, and the Swedish stuff is swill.

Cam
December 30th, 2021, 07:19 PM
Can’t just make vodka, oooohh no. Gotta put spices ‘n shit in it. :assclown:

Tom Servo
December 30th, 2021, 08:51 PM
There's very little flavor in anything Norwegians make, so I guess we have to splurge when we have the chance. I'm honestly shocked it's not dill flavored.

Cam
February 11th, 2022, 09:44 AM
Feeling like I wanted some dark beers the other day, so I picked up some Anderson Valley Brewing (Boonville, CA) stouts, a four-pack each of Bourbon Barrel Stout and Huge Arker. I saw that the Bourbon Barrel has 6.7% ABV, but I did not look at the Huge Arker, thinking it would be similar, or maybe a little stronger, because it is an imperial stout. I got it home and noticed that it is a whopping 15.5%! That's like three beer in one. :lol: The Huge Arker is about what I expected. It is so dark that it absorbs all the surrounding light like a black hole. It is sweet and delicious with caramel notes, which makes it difficult to nurse, considering how strong it is. I have not tried the Bourbon Barrel Stout yet.

I also got a four-pack of "dessert beers" from Wicked Weed (Asheville, NC.) They were all imperial stouts, between 11-13% ABV. Flavours were: S'mores, Cookies and Cream, Expresso Cheesecake, and German Chocolate Cake. I made the mistake of forgetting how strong they were and drank three in one evening. :lol: They were all as advertised and sweet like candy. I did not appreciate the Cookies and Cream though. I was expecting Oreo cookie, but it was more like spice cake. I got half-way through it and poured the rest out. Spices in beer is just not my thing.

Lori and I have had a few cosmopolitans lately. Using 100% cranberry juice as opposed to cranberry cocktail makes a big difference, FYI. ;)

Cam
February 11th, 2022, 11:06 AM
I am trying the Bourbon Barrel Stout right now. The flavour is much more subtle. It is very similar to Guinness, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I was just expecting more, I think.

Tom Servo
February 11th, 2022, 02:34 PM
Big fan of the Huge Arker. BBS is a little on the weak-bodied side for me, which it sounds like where you found it as well.

Tom Servo
March 16th, 2022, 02:27 PM
Michele's recently gotten really into old fashioneds, so I'm trying to get better at making them. It's surprisingly hard to get them to be as good as the ones we get in some of the swankier establishments around here.

Cam
March 16th, 2022, 03:22 PM
I bought several stouts the other day, along with a case of Bud. The first one I tried was a coffee stout "Fire" from Maine Beer Company. It was a stout for sure, but I did not find any coffee flavour. Not particularly noteworthy. The next one is Goose Island Bourbon County Imperial Stout (2020.) I had this beer before and remember liking it, so I picked up another. They had a 2021 on the shelf too, but wanted to see how two years of aging affected the flavour. It is thick, hearty and sweet like molasses. I quite like it. Gotta nurse it though at a whopping 14.5% ABV. I also got two bottles of imperial stout from Westbrook Brewing; Gates of S'mordor and 11th Anniversary Stout. Both sound like dessert beers, but again, pretty strong at 11% ABV. I've tried the S'mordor before and it was not memorable, but I have not tried the 11th Anniversary Stout.

Edit: Oh yeah, here it is:

I splurged on a recent beer run and bought a bottle of Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout. Holy moley, it's a thick, hearty stout, as it should be. Tasty, but at nearly 15% alcohol, it needs to be nursed. It burned my throat on the first swig. :lol:

Tom Servo
March 16th, 2022, 03:29 PM
The Goose Island one is always a safe bet, though I find that the variants they make now are never as good as the original. I'm happy that AB InBev hasn't hurt that brew as much as I were worried they would, though I still think it's not quite as good as it used to be before Goose Island got bought out. I still have two bottles of the 2014 vintage, which I believe is the last year before AB InBev bought them.

pl8ster
March 17th, 2022, 08:29 AM
Oh cool, I didn't realize Maine Beer distributed that far south. They expanded a few years ago, so not totally surprised. Their beers are usually very solid, though as you noted, Cam: "not particularly noteworthy."

Cam
March 17th, 2022, 09:30 AM
I'm trying the Westbrook 11th Anniversary Stout. I think it's a little off. Much more bitter than I was expecting, considering the S'mordor I've tried previously. Supposedly, it's brewed with cocoa and caramel. I'm totally not tasting it.

pl8ster
March 17th, 2022, 03:15 PM
Did you get it at that same store as the other junk beer you've had?

Pretty predictable for me this evening, but it's my favorite beer, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cam
March 17th, 2022, 03:19 PM
Yeah. I told myself that I would not buy beer at that store any more, but it is much closer to home than the next closest beer store. The Bud seems fine any time we buy it there. Anything else other than macrobrews seem like a crap shoot.

SportWagon
March 20th, 2022, 08:15 AM
Did you get it at that same store as the other junk beer you've had?

Pretty predictable for me this evening, but it's my favorite beer, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
3881Is that actually an Irish tartan on the napkin?

Cam
March 20th, 2022, 09:01 AM
I remembered why there was a little voice in my head telling me to not to buy the S'Mordor. It is brewed with cinnamon. I'm not a fan of spice in beer.

SportWagon
November 13th, 2022, 01:27 PM
- https://lakeofbaysbrewing.ca/beer/storm-chaser/
Not too bitter; slightly fruity

- https://fourfathersbrewing.ca/product/shevchenko/
The latter could be considered as supporting Ukraine?

Cam
January 5th, 2023, 06:36 PM
Tried a pre-mixed Long Island Ice Tea cocktail. It's literally made with tea. I do not like tea. Long Island Ice Tea is supposed to be made with lime juice, cola and several liquors, not tea.

Tom Servo
January 5th, 2023, 08:55 PM
Always grateful for a not-available-in-the-US aquavit.

https://i.imgur.com/JfHcVkg.jpg

SportWagon
January 11th, 2023, 11:20 AM
Gin and V8 Juice.

Gin and Tomato Juice is apparently called a Red Snapper, and there's not a specific name if you use V8 Juice instead.

I had a bottle of regular Tanqueray with one drink left in it, and sort of wanted to finish it up so a recently purchased new bottle could take its spot. And I often like to have a V8 Juice after a little toodle in the Rouvyverse.

Cam
June 18th, 2023, 11:56 AM
A flight at Heritage Brewing in Yarmouth, NS.

FaultyMario
July 28th, 2023, 08:56 PM
Vudka.

FaultyMario
September 15th, 2023, 05:10 PM
My very first licuachela.

https://www.infobae.com/new-resizer/Ifzy4OdnoEG0jitQguE-sf_TIDA=/992x850/filters:format(webp):quality(85)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/infobae/6KDMGJRQRBGDJBHKN5CHT4OEYQ.jpeg

Viva México.

Tom Servo
September 15th, 2023, 10:02 PM
As someone who really does not enjoy Micheladas, what are the chances I would be able to ingest those?

FaultyMario
September 17th, 2023, 08:52 AM
None.

They're terrible.

Cam
September 18th, 2023, 06:21 AM
:sing: It's the most wonderful time of the year. :sing:

Oktoberfest time!

FaultyMario
November 24th, 2023, 07:40 PM
I was wise-assing my way into billi's ramblings using the last supper as the vehicle... but i got to say... dipping bread in wine is a great way to get drunk.

Thanks Jesus!

Though I'm sure Blerps will barge in shouting that it was Sicilians and not the Levantines who invented it.

Tom Servo
November 25th, 2023, 03:46 PM
Tried a new California-made Aquavit. Wasn't bad, but too much carraway. One might say they got carried away with the carraway.

Had a bottle of Justin Vineyards Isosceles which is always a good cabernet and tried some Trocken Riesling, which was nice.

Picked up the three allotments of fancy beer from Alesmith that I hadn't made it down to San Diego for, so we've got all sorts of barrel aged goodness waiting to be cracked open, then Michele and I shared a Fremont Dark Star.

SportWagon
April 10th, 2024, 11:04 AM
My wife had a habit of choosing bottles of beer to buy, and then never getting around to feel like drinking them.

So I recently finished up a few of them.

The most interesting was Zywiec from Poland. Now if you read about beer, the consensus it is safe to drink after it has gone bad.

So I opened the bottle and poured it into a glass. It was somewhat lifeless, and surprisingly more of a copper-colour than a lager gold. In taste it was somewhat like some British bitters too.

I later bought a brand-new can and a bottle, and they were both the golden European lager you would expect.

Someone else from my Zoom pub, dating back to pandemic days, who is British like I am, mused about what this all says about British beers.