PDA

View Full Version : This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

FaultyMario
November 28th, 2015, 06:41 AM
For stabulator:

You are mistaken, i am no bum. I am an archaeologist awaiting approval on a dig.

JoshInKC
November 28th, 2015, 11:30 AM
More accurate than most people would guess.
:up:

Alan P
November 29th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Oil Pressure warning light came on tonight. I had no real choice other than to keep driving for another couple of miles. I do NOT need this at the moment!!!!

overpowered
November 30th, 2015, 08:53 AM
http://assets.amuniversal.com/0d745130546b01330fff005056a9545d

overpowered
December 1st, 2015, 10:44 AM
Orange is the new cat.

http://www.explodingkittens.com/kittyconvict

Drachen596
December 3rd, 2015, 08:06 PM
really tired of the omg i saw someone buy a homeless person a meal videos and 'viral postings' on facebook.
half the people sharing them would never do the same thing for a person. most wouldnt even give their leftovers.

its a sad commentary on society that someone doing good or right is such a huge news thing. it should be the norm.

FaultyMario
December 3rd, 2015, 09:19 PM
Nigel, how early can you start a kidon drugs? And by drugs i mean twrlve sided die...

EDIT: I need to figure out how to quickly change between Eng/Spa spelling on the phone. It looks like i'm drunk-posting all the time.

21Kid
December 4th, 2015, 07:10 AM
I don't think Nigel visits here any more. :(

FaultyMario
December 4th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Not even lurking?

FaultyMario
December 4th, 2015, 07:29 AM
I think we only have TSG left out of the hardcore DD folk.

novicius
December 4th, 2015, 07:54 AM
I'd play, I just don't want to run it. ;)

overpowered
December 4th, 2015, 08:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQM8KKP-3Oo

thesameguy
December 4th, 2015, 09:42 AM
I think we only have TSG left out of the hardcore DD folk.

Not me! Last time I did any RPGs was in 2000, and it was a retro 2nd Ed fest that lasted about six months. Before that, maybe '91 or '92? Fuuuuuuuuu. So OLD.

Although, coincidentally, while sitting in traffic earlier this week I somehow started thinking about my stash of pre-1st edition books and substantial collection of Dragon Magazines. Oh, yeah, I was thinking about clutter because the gf's mom is a borderline hoarder, and every time we visit and come back home I remark that our house looks totally uninhabited. Entire rooms devoid of furnishings and shit. I was thinking about the clutter I have - that is, things that are never used, just stored - and my old D&D stuff came to mind. Do I chuck that Deities & Demigods or keep it forever? Dunno.

Cam
December 4th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Any time is a good time for a little role-play. :P

Kchrpm
December 4th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Any time is a good time for a little role-play. :P
You sly dog.

21Kid
December 4th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Not me! Last time I did any RPGs was in 2000, and it was a retro 2nd Ed fest that lasted about six months. Before that, maybe '91 or '92? Fuuuuuuuuu. So OLD.

Although, coincidentally, while sitting in traffic earlier this week I somehow started thinking about my stash of pre-1st edition books and substantial collection of Dragon Magazines. Oh, yeah, I was thinking about clutter because the gf's mom is a borderline hoarder, and every time we visit and come back home I remark that our house looks totally uninhabited. Entire rooms devoid of furnishings and shit.

I was thinking about the clutter I have - that is, things that are never used, just stored - and my old D&D stuff came to mind. Do I chuck that Deities & Demigods or keep it forever? Dunno.
Sounds like you could solve two problems right there. ;)

TheBenior
December 4th, 2015, 02:24 PM
So I got my new electric bill (last bill was $184, much higher than in the summer months where I run air conditioning), which included a letter saying that a technician came out and my meter was functioning properly. The bill is for $0.00, and shows zero usage for October along with a $44.14 credit. This left me thinking, WTF?

Today my meter got switched out for a 'smart' wireless meter, and the installation person said that my meter was misread, which resulted in the high bill.

thesameguy
December 4th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Heh... PEBCAK, yeah?

thesameguy
December 4th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Sounds like you could solve two problems right there. ;)

My clutter is stashed in a weird little closet under the stairs, so it's not in the way. I can't handle things in my way. :lol: But, it's still there... doing nothing?

George
December 4th, 2015, 02:33 PM
I thought of this last weekend while playing Forza 4 with my son, but just now remembered to post it.

All this time (many years, right?), I thought Freude am Fahren was just the screen name of one our friends here on the forum.

Then I saw it painted on an overpass on one of the European race tracks. At first, I was like, WHAT THE...?! and later of course I googled it.

Am I the only one who didn't know? I'd guess almost certainly.

[insert Captain Picard face-palm meme here]

Godson
December 4th, 2015, 03:26 PM
:lol:

It took me a while too. Don't feel bad.

Drachen596
December 5th, 2015, 04:39 PM
3 days into my vacation... now i remember why i work 7 days a week.

21Kid
December 7th, 2015, 05:29 AM
Out of money already?

I just kind of assumed that FaF was racing related. Didn't really care enough to find out. :finger: Same with a few other people.

Cam
December 9th, 2015, 10:09 AM
My father-in-law just bought us an awesome canoe (fiberglass, 60 lbs.) with full accoutrements. :eek: :rawk:

21Kid
December 9th, 2015, 10:30 AM
You didn't make him one out of wood? :assclown:

George
December 9th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Full accoutrements = 150 hp Evinrude outboard motor! :rawk:

MR2 Fan
December 9th, 2015, 11:03 AM
is it just me or....is the internet a place where anyone can post a fact, and someone inevitably will say that's not true?

thesameguy
December 9th, 2015, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't say that's necessarily true.

MR2 Fan
December 9th, 2015, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't say that's necessarily true.

I was totally waiting for that kind of reply

George
December 9th, 2015, 12:06 PM
I somehow doubt that.

thesameguy
December 9th, 2015, 12:16 PM
I like you, George, but you simply have no idea what you're talking about.

George
December 9th, 2015, 12:26 PM
You couldn't find your ass with a stick and a mirror. :p

(a quote from one of my favorite fictional characters)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

21Kid
December 9th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Toyota says low fuel prices will cut into Prius sales Why are people so short-sighted? They can't really think that these prices will stay around... right? And SUV sales are up also. All because of a temporary drop in fuel prices?

The same thing goes in for politics... It seems that everyone has such short memories. :erm:

Godson
December 9th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Preaching to the choir

TheBenior
December 9th, 2015, 03:39 PM
I don't think too many people are buying full size pickups and SUVs instead of Prius models because of low fuel prices.

Instead, they're probably buying RAV4s and CR-Vs, which are rated up to 24/31 and 26/33mpg.

Let's be realistic, a Prius is of questionable value over a cheaper Corolla for most buyers anyway.

Drachen596
December 9th, 2015, 07:48 PM
can you fit 2 adults and 3 kids aged from 8 to 13 into a Prius comfortably? (that said.. the last crv i was in was super uncomfortable due to a child seat behind the passenger seat. knees wedged into the dash i'm not sure i needed a seatbelt type of discomfort.)

I'm also not out of money its just family stuff screwing with my time away from stress. i should have gone somewhere or even just gotten a hotel room here.

Question for everyone, how do you feel about the gofundme stuff? a friend of mine has one up right now due to her dog getting hit by a car. this is a dog she took in that has no training of any kind from the previous owners.

thesameguy
December 9th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Feel in what way?

Drachen596
December 9th, 2015, 08:29 PM
does the gofundme stuff bother you? i mean its essentially just whoever asking for money from anyone and everyone.

digital panhandling if you will.

Random
December 9th, 2015, 08:51 PM
I contributed to one for a friend whose 3-yr-old daughter has epilepsy and needs $$$urgery to (hopefully) cure said. Ignored the others I've seen.

21Kid
December 10th, 2015, 05:46 AM
can you fit 2 adults and 3 kids aged from 8 to 13 into a Prius comfortably? (that said.. the last crv i was in was super uncomfortable due to a child seat behind the passenger seat. knees wedged into the dash i'm not sure i needed a seatbelt type of discomfort.)

I'm also not out of money its just family stuff screwing with my time away from stress. i should have gone somewhere or even just gotten a hotel room here.

Question for everyone, how do you feel about the gofundme stuff? a friend of mine has one up right now due to her dog getting hit by a car. this is a dog she took in that has no training of any kind from the previous owners. Have you ever sat in a Prius? They are amazingly roomy inside... like the Tardis. I'm sure 2 adults and 3 kids would fit just fine.
You should definitely go somewhere for your vacation. Even if it's a hotel/water-park. It feels great getting away from the same routine and be in a different setting.
I have gave money to a few people that have had tragedies, or family with expensive surgeries. For that dog situation, no. I've said no to quit a few of them as well.

thesameguy
December 10th, 2015, 07:47 AM
I happy we have crowdfunding platforms of all types. If I can get in on one I will - if a few bucks from me now will save someone a disaster later I think that's a good deal. I can't think of a scenario where I'd help someone buy their kids a Christmas present or something like that, but help with a plane ticket out of a bad relationship or help with living expenses after being hit by a car? BTDT, I feel good about it.

sandydandy
December 10th, 2015, 02:06 PM
My father-in-law just bought us an awesome canoe (fiberglass, 60 lbs.) with full accoutrements. :eek: :rawk: That's awesome, congrats!

Drachen596
December 10th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Yeah... next vacation i am definitely going somewhere though hopefully itll be a motorcycle trip somewhere.

fwiw its also a pain for me to get in and out of a current gen ford focus. the door opening seems tiny and/or oddly shaped.

overpowered
December 10th, 2015, 03:38 PM
I got a book on how to stop procrastinating.

I haven't read it yet.

Cam
December 11th, 2015, 06:09 AM
I just finished my last final exam. Now for some serious goofing off. :hard:

21Kid
December 11th, 2015, 07:43 AM
:rawk:

Dicknose
December 11th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Yeah... next vacation i am definitely going somewhere though hopefully itll be a motorcycle trip somewhere.

Do it!

I love motorbike trips, either local (jump on my bike and ride away) or go to another country and rent a bike.
Looking at Vietnam as possible next big trip on a bike.

Godson
December 15th, 2015, 07:21 PM
Google fiber is fun

overpowered
December 15th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Shut up.
So what what does it matter now.
I was swimming in the hate now I crawl on the ground.
And everything I never liked about you is kind of seeping into me.
I try to laugh about it now but isn't it funny how everything works out.
I guess the jokes on me, she said.

Drachen596
December 15th, 2015, 11:40 PM
for anyone keeping track.. i did donate to the gofundme i mentioned. its the holidays and she's had a lot of crap go wrong this year.

this warm weather keeps pushing me towards making a 2 wheeled purchase.. but i know as soon as i do then actual winter and 10 feet of snow will happen.

thesameguy
December 16th, 2015, 08:28 AM
A+

George
December 16th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Being "outsourced" and knowing one will soon be leaving a good job has its ups and downs.

One of the more unpleasant tasks is having to go to bullshit meetings while grinning CorpSpeak middle-management morons blather on about how important they are, and how well things are going in getting rid of most of the attendees of the meeting.

One of the sadder aspects is watching people who know they are being laid off actively participate in these total waste-of-time sessions, as if they've forgotten we won't be here when the plans of actions being discussed take effect. These time-wasters who won't stop asking stupid questions are almost as bad as the dolt who called the meeting.

One of the best things is being able to "innocently" guess at the cause of the problem being discussed, "accidentally" mentioning that current problems have been primarily caused by the fool running the meeting, and all without fear of reprisals.

Random
December 16th, 2015, 11:48 AM

Best of luck in the job hunt, George. :)

sandydandy
December 16th, 2015, 02:13 PM
A strange week here in Toronto. A few days ago, a beautiful and well dressed woman went up to another woman in a drug store and stabbed her square in the heart! For no apparent reason.

This chick (http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/rohinie-bisesar-arrested-and-charged-with-attempted-murder)

She was captured by police yesterday, and it's become evident that she was suffering from some sort of mental illness. Before this there was widespread speculation (on social media, of course) that she was an Islamic Jihadist, because she's brown and everything. This even made international news for the same reason, because well, terrorism is sexy news these days. I suspect news agencies around the world will quickly abandon this story now that it's not even remotely terror-related.

My initial reaction when the story broke was that this was probably revenge as part of some love triangle, but they haven't been able to make any connection between the two women at all. The above article was written after she was captured, and it's more apparent that the woman was just simply fucked up.

I feel sad for her. Not because she's Indian and I am too...and no not because she's strikingly beautiful and I'd love to 'stab' her in my own way. It's just really sad to see how a person's life can crash and burn the way hers has. She's an MBA and clearly a very bright lady, but seemingly one who couldn't cut it in the corporate world. She studied hard for half her life, with the best intentions in mind I'm sure, but what was the point of it all if she was just going to end up behind bars? She'll probably plead insanity and not be held criminally responsible for her actions.

Her email to the National Post newspaper was above and beyond bizarre. To the extreme. The kind of stuff they talk about on Coast to Coast AM.‎

They haven't released any info on the victim except that she's much younger, and is in 'grave' condition. I hope she survives.

EDIT - Victim just died. Fuck!

tigeraid
December 17th, 2015, 06:26 AM
Google fiber is fun

I hate you.

Semi-related, my wireless/4G internet at the Ranch is not nearly as awful as I thought it would be. During peak hours (7pm to 11pm or so) browsing is acceptable, downloads are useless. But at all other hours, and with torrents overnight, it's sufficient enough. I find myself caring less and less about silly things like Internet performance these days. As long as I still get my odd torrent, or my odd podcast, or my odd Steam game download overnight. Not stressing over it.

Yw-slayer
December 17th, 2015, 06:49 AM
I have 1000/1000Mbps fibre at home. :finger:

Kchrpm
December 17th, 2015, 07:15 AM
1%-er.

Yw-slayer
December 17th, 2015, 07:21 AM
Not in HK. Actually, maybe.

21Kid
December 17th, 2015, 08:24 AM
A strange week here in Toronto. A few days ago, a beautiful and well dressed woman went up to another woman in a drug store and stabbed her square in the heart! For no apparent reason.

This chick (http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/rohinie-bisesar-arrested-and-charged-with-attempted-murder)

She was captured by police yesterday, and it's become evident that she was suffering from some sort of mental illness. Before this there was widespread speculation (on social media, of course) that she was an Islamic Jihadist, because she's brown and everything. This even made international news for the same reason, because well, terrorism is sexy news these days. I suspect news agencies around the world will quickly abandon this story now that it's not even remotely terror-related.

My initial reaction when the story broke was that this was probably revenge as part of some love triangle, but they haven't been able to make any connection between the two women at all. The above article was written after she was captured, and it's more apparent that the woman was just simply fucked up.

I feel sad for her. Not because she's Indian and I am too...and no not because she's strikingly beautiful and I'd love to 'stab' her in my own way. It's just really sad to see how a person's life can crash and burn the way hers has. She's an MBA and clearly a very bright lady, but seemingly one who couldn't cut it in the corporate world. She studied hard for half her life, with the best intentions in mind I'm sure, but what was the point of it all if she was just going to end up behind bars? She'll probably plead insanity and not be held criminally responsible for her actions.

Her email to the National Post newspaper was above and beyond bizarre. To the extreme. The kind of stuff they talk about on Coast to Coast AM.‎

They haven't released any info on the victim except that she's much younger, and is in 'grave' condition. I hope she survives.

EDIT - Victim just died. Fuck!Wait! You're Indian!?! ;) (It's weird how long I've known people here, and how little I actually know about them)

Reminds me of the recent Family Guy episode.
Cleveland Brown says if you want to make the media go away, just mention black on black crime. (http://www.mrctv.org/videos/family-guy-shot-dark-black-black-crime)

re: edit :(

Leon
December 17th, 2015, 09:16 AM
I actually quite like that we have a little community here, and that there's still a quantity of unknown about each other in very many cases.

I think it fosters a bit of an attitude where you are "judged" by what you say, not by what colour / age / religion / sexuality you are, what job you have, how much money you earn, what colour trousers you wear.

Kchrpm
December 17th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Except for the people for which we know everything. We should judge the hell out of them.

Looking at you *insert name of person we know nothing about*

21Kid
December 17th, 2015, 10:44 AM
I know A LOT about Keith. *stares*

Kchrpm
December 17th, 2015, 10:49 AM
You know how to break my heart *stares at Wii U friend list*

21Kid
December 17th, 2015, 10:51 AM
:finger:
Has the 2nd DLC for Mario Kart 8 come out yet?

tigeraid
December 17th, 2015, 11:43 AM
I didn't know about the Indian part, but I also still don't know if "sandy" is male or female...

Cam
December 17th, 2015, 11:43 AM
...what colour trousers you wear.
You assume we wear trousers.

Kchrpm
December 17th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Has the 2nd DLC for Mario Kart 8 come out yet?

Yep! Back in April.

speedpimp
December 17th, 2015, 03:35 PM
I didn't know about the Indian part, but I also still don't know if "sandy" is male or female...

Sandy's a he.

tigeraid
December 17th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Good to know.

21Kid
December 18th, 2015, 07:07 AM
Yep! Back in April.
I should probably download that then... :|

Alan P
December 18th, 2015, 03:11 PM

http://www.galicianshop.com/pictures/kilts/KILT-GALFSET.jpg

Myself getting ready for work this morning. (honest)

tigeraid
December 18th, 2015, 03:39 PM
We wear trousers, but they have REAAAAALLLLLY wide hips:

http://www.tenbc.com/Websites/tenbc/images/canadian-entertainment/mounties_new.jpg

FaultyMario
December 18th, 2015, 06:15 PM

You are the kind of around-the-house-in-briefs bachelor i've come to trust.

speedpimp
December 19th, 2015, 12:09 PM
http://www.galicianshop.com/pictures/kilts/KILT-GALFSET.jpg

One day a lady walked up to a man in a kilt and asked him what we wore under his kilt. He replied "Lipstick" to which the lady turned twenty shades of red and slithered away.

21Kid
December 21st, 2015, 08:09 AM
Does anyone ever get offended when someone enters the toilet stall after you finish and wipes the seat, or does a pre-flush?

21Kid
December 21st, 2015, 08:13 AM
:up:
http://i.imgur.com/sMoHaCb.jpg

Kchrpm
December 21st, 2015, 08:15 AM
It's high up there :up:

Random
December 21st, 2015, 09:04 AM
Time to dig out that copy of F-Zero you've been hoarding. :up:

thesameguy
December 23rd, 2015, 09:52 AM
Screw Citi in the ear.

Cam
December 23rd, 2015, 10:29 AM
My parents sent me a cheque as a Christmas gift. My credit union wanted to charge me ~$50 to cash a foreign cheque. Eff that. It seems they want me to take my business somewhere else. :mad:

thesameguy
December 23rd, 2015, 10:36 AM
Srsly? That's something BofA would do for sure - not behavior I'd expect from a CU!

I opened an internet bank account (Discover, FWIW) to address those rare situations. Mobile (like, cell phone) deposit means not having to leave the house, and I keep only a tiny amount of money in there so if the card went missing, my actual bank account wouldn't be at risk. Most of the internet banks will also refund ATM transaction fees charged by other banks, so using my Discover card at a BofA ATM costs nothing. Being able to get fee-free cash anywhere (even those gas station and bar ATMs) is peace of mind for me.

Sad, little man
December 23rd, 2015, 04:29 PM
Credit unions are worse than banks. At least banks don't pretend like they're your friend and totally not out to swindle you out of money.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/moneybox/2013/12/credit_unions_lobbyists_and_risk_a_center_for_publ ic_integrity_investigation.html

thesameguy
December 23rd, 2015, 05:54 PM
Well, golly, I guess I'll have to cancel afternoon tea and weekend golf with my credit union then!

:rolleyes:

If you look to your financial institution for friendship you need to re-evaluate your life choices in a broad way.

TheBenior
December 23rd, 2015, 09:17 PM
Sometimes I think about cancelling my credit union account, but they do have pretty good vehicle loan rates.

Their mortgages, not so much. I did better going through Discover.

speedpimp
December 24th, 2015, 01:52 PM
There is nothing like witnessing a coworker's nuclear level meltdown at 3:30 in the morning. Pretty sure we're just one or two more of those away from making the national news.

Drachen596
December 24th, 2015, 03:47 PM
Why do some people seem to think that a small act of kindess wins them a giant gold star sticker and a cookie?

You're supposed to be kind to people, ALL PEOPLE. Yes, even if you hate them and completely disagree with their world view.

Sad, little man
December 25th, 2015, 09:21 AM
There is nothing like witnessing a coworker's nuclear level meltdown at 3:30 in the morning. Pretty sure we're just one or two more of those away from making the national news.

Heh, for a minute I got my posts mixed up, and thought Benior had posted this. :eek: Not that that's good coming from you, but it would sound much worse coming from him.

Sad, little man
December 25th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Why do some people seem to think that a small act of kindess wins them a giant gold star sticker and a cookie?

You're supposed to be kind to people, ALL PEOPLE. Yes, even if you hate them and completely disagree with their world view.

If you're putting limits on your kindness towards someone based on the amount of kindness they have or haven't shown you, you're doing life wrong.

Alan P
December 25th, 2015, 02:37 PM
So, I always knew she was all kinds of hot but having watched Lucy again, walking, well, anywhere in that black and blue dress she wears, holy shitballs she is bordering on an obsession for me now. So much better with blonde rather than red for Avengers B.W.

mk
December 28th, 2015, 07:49 AM
New York vs. old York = rubber boots.

thesameguy
December 28th, 2015, 08:24 AM
So, I always knew she was all kinds of hot but having watched Lucy again, walking, well, anywhere in that black and blue dress she wears, holy shitballs she is bordering on an obsession for me now. So much better with blonde rather than red for Avengers B.W.

You should watch Under the Skin.

Freude am Fahren
December 28th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Seriously, how did that movie go so under the radar? You would think one of Hollywood's hottest stars doing her first full nudity would have gotten a lot of headlines. The movie itself obviously was the opposite of mainstream, but still...

thesameguy
December 28th, 2015, 09:46 AM
In all fairness, it was pretty hard to watch. And SJ naked is, well, not what I expected.

Leon
December 28th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Pretty much it. Certainly wasn't what I was hoping to see.

thesameguy
December 28th, 2015, 01:51 PM
I choose to believe she took a Christian Bale-esque weight program prior to filming, but a voice in the back of my head keeps chanting "that isn't it."

Freude am Fahren
December 28th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I mean it wasn't bad at all, but I'm pretty sure she/they did take a 'commoner' look approach.

thesameguy
December 28th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Jeff Bezos may be a dick to work for, but he sure treats his customers well.

Amazon: I'm really sorry you have a problem, we are going to fix that right this second.

Every other company: Yep, that's a problem. I will contact some non-existent department in my organization who has more power than I do. They may or may not consider your issue. They may or may not get back to you in 4-6 weeks. Fuck off kthx.

FaultyMario
December 29th, 2015, 02:41 PM
They have kick ass costumer service.

GB
December 29th, 2015, 03:48 PM
The thing is, he could do both; have great employee morale and great customer service. He's just hell-bent on world domination.

Cam
December 30th, 2015, 09:09 AM
I started to watch Lucy once. It was so horrifically bad I shut it off. In my opinion, Johansen is one of the worst actresses I've ever seen.

In other news, I sold my Rock Band instruments. It's a sad day. :(

Yw-slayer
December 30th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Deleted x 2?

Cam
December 30th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Not entirely. The lady I sold the instruments to seemed really nice. She was buying them for her nephews, who had a PS3 version previously. I have high hope that there will be rocking for some time in the near future and that I will rock vicariously through them. :rawk:

Yw-slayer
December 30th, 2015, 04:56 PM
"Before we rock, we give thanks to our heavenly Cam'ddd from whence our RB instruments came. Now..."

"SHOT THROUGH THE HEART, AND YOU'RE TO BLAME!!!"

Cam
December 30th, 2015, 05:13 PM
I consider myself very lucky to have married the lady I did. :)

George
December 31st, 2015, 03:52 PM
Sitting here at work at nearly 6:00 PM on New Years' Eve, I find the thread titled "2016" is blocked due to pornography.

Stay classy, GTXF! :thppt:

Random
December 31st, 2015, 04:14 PM
Sitting here at work at nearly 6:00 PM on New Years' Eve, I find the thread titled "2016" is blocked due to pornography.

Stay classy, GTXF! :thppt:

Probably due to liberal f-bombation plus Greg's overshare. :lol:

Godson
December 31st, 2015, 04:20 PM
Lol!

George
January 1st, 2016, 07:02 AM
Well, I got into the 2016 thread from home, and there's not even a trace of porn in there. It's just a bunch of old farts griping about how much life sucks. :blahblah:

:)

mk
January 1st, 2016, 09:32 AM
Seems that Mississippi is also flooding.

How come?

Alan P
January 1st, 2016, 06:15 PM
Is it better to want something very badly, yet only have it sporadically, or not have it at all so eventually you forget what it was like so don't miss it?

Kchrpm
January 1st, 2016, 10:26 PM
All depends on how you choose to view it. You can be appreciative of what you are able to get, accept that it is just a special thing that you don't get to have/do as much as you want, and tell yourself that makes it even better when you can.

Or you can tell yourself you've fully accepted that it will never be the way you want it, so you'd rather not have it at all, and take satisfaction in the fact that you are taking control of your life and making the decision for yourself, rather than relying on other circumstances to dictate your life.

Either path can work out just as well, it's all in how you choose to view them and yourself.

Drachen596
January 2nd, 2016, 11:45 AM
Saw a great example of someone asking things that are really none of their business about a friends cancer post today.

Unless you or a close family member have been through the exact same thing I believe its best to keep quiet about anything other than well wishing or offering to help with home and kids.

Dicknose
January 2nd, 2016, 06:16 PM
Do them a favour and post up "ring theory, comfort in, dump out". Google it.
It's a good way for people to think about friends with a serious issue.
Asking detailed questions is not comfort and unless they are an inner ring they shouldn't ask (and not in a more public place)

Drachen596
January 3rd, 2016, 02:28 AM
ultimately i don't know what ring that person would belong to.

it was more the publicly asked question of that type being asked. especially since what was involved is a very personal thing for women.

Cam
January 3rd, 2016, 04:28 AM
First five Headlines on CBC news:

-Mayor of Mexican city slain 1 day after taking office
-Iran sees 'divine vengeance' after Saudis execute Shia cleric Nimr al-Nimr
-Will Lady Edith ever be happy? Downton Abbey's final season kicks off
-Death toll in attack at Pathankot Indian base rises to 7 troops, 6 gunmen
-Canadian fighter jets strike ISIS targets in Iraq

One of these things is not like the others. How the eff is a new season of a TV show news? :smh:

JoshInKC
January 3rd, 2016, 05:32 AM
Man, REI garage sales are great - Picked up 3 pairs of pants and 2 shirts; 3/5 items still had tags on, the other shirt was worn but unwashed with a small tear in the tail, and the pants were washed with no other problems. Even if one assumes that the stuff with no tags aren't worth anything, I got about $225 worth of stuff for $88 after tax.

Victory!

speedpimp
January 3rd, 2016, 09:08 AM
One of these things is not like the others. How the eff is a new season of a TV show news? :smh:

Uh, duh, that's because Downtown Arby's is like so much awesome, duh.

overpowered
January 3rd, 2016, 06:25 PM
I hate Illinois Nazis.

thesameguy
January 4th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Yeah, but the Michigan and Montana ones are okay. Really, it's the I-state Nazis that you gotta watch for. The M-state ones are generally passable.

overpowered
January 4th, 2016, 12:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ukFAvYP3UU

Kchrpm
January 5th, 2016, 02:10 AM
When you are averaging less than 0.9 Mbps in download speed, having cloud storage is nearly useless.

MR2 Fan
January 5th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Does this happen to anyone else?

Don't have a gf or relationship for a while, and girls you've been somewhat involved with previously don't contact you...then as SOON as you get a gf, with no indication on social media that you do, etc. suddenly they all start sending you messages, liking your photos on FB, etc.

It's like some kind of sixth sense they have...

thesameguy
January 5th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Yeah they do. Fuckers.

Kchrpm
January 5th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Nope. Because I never have a girlfriend.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/d6/7f/c6/d67fc68ca32912a29349e18eb98d8016.jpg

Cam
January 5th, 2016, 12:41 PM

:(

21Kid
January 5th, 2016, 12:48 PM
Women. :smh:

Alan P
January 5th, 2016, 04:47 PM

:(

Mean. Funny, but mean. :up::lol::(

overpowered
January 5th, 2016, 10:00 PM
Fuck Time-Warner Cable.

21Kid
January 6th, 2016, 05:26 AM
indeed

Godson
January 6th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Life is a brutal and unfair bitch. Tell your love ones how much you appreciate them.

GreatScawt
January 6th, 2016, 02:54 PM
Indeed.

GreatScawt
January 6th, 2016, 02:56 PM
I'm watching the Great British Baking Show on Netflix with my girlfriend. Loving it. My girlfriend asked what the prize is at the end...

My assumption was the obvious: The winner gets to make sourdough with Mary Berry's vaginal yeast. It only makes sense.

Yw-slayer
January 6th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Bake-Off, not Baking Show. You ingrate.

GreatScawt
January 6th, 2016, 04:09 PM

http://cdn6.nflximg.net/images/2316/21912316.jpg

Yw-slayer
January 7th, 2016, 12:18 AM
So the title was changed for a nation of ingrates, got it. :finger:

Cam
January 7th, 2016, 06:15 AM
(Paraphrased)
Me: I need some degreaser for my bike.
Lori: Here, try this dichloromethane.
Me: That sounds dangerous.
Lori: It won't hurt you... much.
Me: So I should wear these nitrile gloves.
Lori: They won't protect you.
Me: :|

21Kid
January 7th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Surprise myself with a $50 gift card and get 10? sure, why not...

Enjoy this exclusive Gift Cards offer: Surprise someone with an Amazon.com Gift Card, and get a $10 promotional code to spend on yourself. Just purchase at least $50 in Amazon.com Gift Cards in a single order by January 31, 2016, and receive a $10 promotional code automatically applied to your account after the qualifying order has shipped. An email notification will also be sent within three (3) days after shipping, confirming your Amazon.com Credit.

Important Notification: This offer is valid ONLY to eligible customers. To qualify, you must: (1) purchase the Amazon.com Gift Cards using the Amazon.com account to which you are currently logged in; and (2) enter the promotional code "0116GCARDS" in the "Gift Cards & Promotional Codes" box when you check out. Additional Terms and Conditions apply; scroll down to learn more.

21Kid
January 8th, 2016, 07:38 AM
Stop calling those handle-less Segways hover-boards! Nothing is hovering!

overpowered
January 8th, 2016, 07:54 AM
Stop calling those handle-less Segways hover-boards! Nothing is hovering!QFT!

MR2 Fan
January 8th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Powerball (U.S. multi-state lottery) is up to $800 million, possibly reaching $1 Billion by tomorrow night.

I'm so excited that I'm not buying any tickets.

All of these people who somehow wouldn't be able to survive on $50 million or $100 million like most drawings will instead spend money with millions of others...their odds of winning don't improve and actually their odds of being the only winner goes significantly down.

Drachen596
January 8th, 2016, 03:25 PM
I usually buy one ticket. 2 dollars isn't gonna break my bank account and hey.. there is a small chance of winning.

Dear Waitress, if there's no rush then why the hell did you print the check and bring it to the table before it was asked for while people were still eating and decide to NOT ask if anyone wanted dessert?

thesameguy
January 8th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Going off shift, wants the tip?

Drachen596
January 8th, 2016, 04:22 PM
would be an odd time for that. it was just before/during dinner rush.

overpowered
January 8th, 2016, 05:49 PM
All of these people who somehow wouldn't be able to survive on $50 million or $100 million like most drawings will instead spend money with millions of others...their odds of winning don't improve and actually their odds of being the only winner goes significantly down.Playing all the time gets tedious. People get excited when it's super big. $2 once in a while no biggie.

Alan P
January 8th, 2016, 06:03 PM
The UK Lottery has been going for nearly 20 years. They used to use the slogan 'It could be you!' in advertising. Over the years the jackpots have been steadily declining year on year. SO much so they brought in a midweek draw a good few years ago and ticket prices doubled to £2. It hasn't helped. I think after twenty years most people have realised that when they said 'it could be you!' they missed the tiny small print that said 'but it probably won't be'.

Freude am Fahren
January 8th, 2016, 10:19 PM
They raised the Powerball from $1 to $2 a few years ago, which upped the starting jackpot from like 10-20million I think. Then last year they added more numbers to choose from (it's a 5+1 thing). So now it's out of 60something and the starting jackpot is $40M. It's played in maybe 30 states twice a week and hasn't been won since October I think. When it gets in the multiple hundreds it climbs exponentially as more people play.

I'm all for it, at least in Florida. A lot of the money goes towards education, and it literally paid for my entire college education (minus housing because I didn't do dorms, and a semester of tuition because I did 9).

Yw-slayer
January 9th, 2016, 03:28 AM
Your lotteries shit in ours in terms of absolute and relative returns. I think the Euromillion lottery has the biggest prize, though, right?

Alan P
January 9th, 2016, 04:29 AM
I don't think Euromillions has ever been over £100m.

I stand corrected. £161m in 2011. I don't think I could handle that much money. Now £100m I could cope with.

Yw-slayer
January 9th, 2016, 04:33 AM
I'm sure I'd be able to figure out something to do with that amount of money.

overpowered
January 9th, 2016, 06:40 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroMillions

It's been as high as €190,000,000.

The largest solo win in the U.S. was a Mega Millions at $590,500,000. The largest jackpot was also a Mega Millions at $656,000,000 but there were 3 winning tickets. This latest Powerball beats that record and we'll see how many winning tickets there are. With this many ticket sales, it's likely that there will be multiple winners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lottery_jackpot_records

Alan P
January 9th, 2016, 07:09 AM
UK lottery wins are tax exempt though. If you win £60m you get £60m!

overpowered
January 9th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Our lotteries are usually exempt from state, but not federal tax. The lotteries are all put on by the states.

Some of the countries in Euro Millions tax the winnings.

overpowered
January 9th, 2016, 07:19 AM
It should also be noted that they changed the odds for Powerball back in October. The old system was 1 in 175,223,510 for the jackpot. Now it's 1 in 292,201,338. This means fewer winners and bigger jackpots. I guess they didn't like Mega Millions having bigger jackpots. Bigger jackpots means more lotto fever which means more ticket sales.

Mega Millions is 1 in 258,890,850 though it was changed two years ago from 1 in 175,711,536.

Freude am Fahren
January 9th, 2016, 10:21 AM
$900 million now. Could reach $1 Billion before the 11PM drawing.

Our lotteries also use anuitized jackpots, so you only get $900 million if you take it monthly (I think? Maybe yearly) for 30 years (at these levels, that might be worth it). If you take the lump sum, it's like 2/3 of that (I think the larger the jackpot, the lower percentage of it you actually get). And of course you pay taxes on both situations.

According to this site: http://www.techinsider.io/how-much-lottery-powerball-winner-takes-home-2016-1

If you're the sole winner of the $900M, you take home $558 million in a lump sum, then you pay like 25% federal taxes on that (edit: right away, and about another 15% at the end of the year), and then depending on your state, you may lose even more.

Given that, 400+ million dollars is still a nice chunk of change. (actually like $350M)

But as to the yearly payouts, at $900 million, I think it's worth it, provided the entire world doesn't go down the shitter. That's still $30 million/year before taxes. In the end you wind up with like $650M (actually like $550M) or so after taxes in 30 years, an additional $200 million or so.**

**They claim the jackpot is a guaranteed amount of money, but apparently you still only get paid you first payment based on the lump sum, and then they invest the rest to make it come out to the actual jackpot in the end. So yeah, take the lump sum and invest yourself.

Drachen596
January 9th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Tax rate on that amount is closer to 35% than 25%.

Freude am Fahren
January 9th, 2016, 11:59 AM
That's what I would have though for income.

Looked it up. They withhold 25%. Then you owe the rest of the 39.6% when taxes are due!

Godson
January 9th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Take the 30 year payment.

speedpimp
January 9th, 2016, 04:08 PM
Bought $20 worth this morning. To me winning it would be an experiment in seeing how greedy family members can become.

Kchrpm
January 9th, 2016, 04:15 PM
I forgot to go out and buy one. Oh well!

overpowered
January 9th, 2016, 05:13 PM
Take the 30 year payment.Money guys actually say to take the lump sum. Even conservative mutual funds do better than the bonds that they use for the annuity. The payments already put you in the top tax bracket, so there's no tax disadvantage to the lump sum.

overpowered
January 9th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Bought $20 worth this morning. To me winning it would be an experiment in seeing how greedy family members can become.If I won, my siblings and my parents could ask, but they probably wouldn't unless it was a real emergency.

Cousins, on the other hand, primarily the Tennesee ones, they would ask and I don't speak to them unless I'm guilted into a family gathering. I'm so glad that they live on the other side of the country.

Freude am Fahren
January 9th, 2016, 06:04 PM
You're allow about $5.5 million in gifts to family before you have to pay taxes on it (per year, I think). I think that'd work out just fine. I'd give both my sisters and my parents a bunch of cash (if they want it), and then buy the ones that need it houses (one sister and mom probably). Keeping them in my name would avoid taxes, I presume.

I have a lot of cousins and aunts/uncles. I'm not about to write them all huge checks, but any that had medical or school debt, I'd payoff.

overpowered
January 9th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Playboy is looking to sell the Cosby's rape house, er the Playboy mansion. They're asking $200 million, and you have to let Hef keep living there until he dies. He's 89.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/01/09/playboy-mansion-sale-hugh-hefner/

Real estate experts are saying that it's a tear down but the lot is worth about $60 million. Location. Location. Location.

speedpimp
January 10th, 2016, 05:06 AM
That should be on the National Registry of Historic Places.

overpowered
January 10th, 2016, 07:18 AM
Amazingly, there was no winning ticket. New estimate is $1.3 billion.

novicius
January 10th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Money guys actually say to take the lump sum. Even conservative mutual funds do better than the bonds that they use for the annuity. The payments already put you in the top tax bracket, so there's no tax disadvantage to the lump sum.
This -- just park that sucker in a blue chip mutual fund and let it ride. You can buy plenty of Lambos on the annual return for the rest of your life. :up:

EDIT: Not what I'd do 'cause that shit is boring. :D I'd go full Brewster's Millions on the stash!! :rawk:

Kchrpm
January 10th, 2016, 07:38 AM
Amazingly, there was no winning ticket. New estimate is $1.3 billion.

That's because I didn't buy one!

Freude am Fahren
January 10th, 2016, 08:28 AM
I'm just wondering what they'll do with the billboards. At least here in FL, they're three digit, non-digital, with "Million" written below.

Drachen596
January 10th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Here all the store ones are maxed out and showing 999 on them.

overpowered
January 10th, 2016, 11:25 AM
The odds of winning any prize are 1 in 24.87.
There were 2,267,503 winning tickets in California.
That means that there were approximately 56,392,800 tickets sold in California alone for this one draw.

I can't find national stats on people who won any prize.

I'm thinking that there might be close to as many or even more tickets sold nation wide than there are combinations of numbers available, which is 292,201,338.

EDIT: Found national.

16,232,797 total winners.

Approximately 403,709,661 million tickets sold total. It's pretty amazing that nobody hit the combination. The odds are, several should have, but that's why we don't call probabilities certainties.

novicius
January 10th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Do they award Match 5? What's the biggest non-billionaire prize you could land?

Freude am Fahren
January 10th, 2016, 12:08 PM
For powerball, You match the 5 base numbers you get $1 Million, regardless of the jackpot. You match 4 base + the powerball you get $50,000. And then this number and smaller winnings will be multiplied by the randomly selected multiplier (2,3,4,5,10x) if you spend and extra dollar per ticket. The biggest non-jackpot you can win, however is $2M if you match the 5 base numbers, spend $3 on the ticket for "powerplay". The base 5 with powerplay is only ever $2M, regardless of the multiplier.

(They added 10x multiplier when they lowered the odds by adding numbers and upped the minimum jackpot back in October. I think at this time the 4+1 prize went from $10k to $50k)

2ndMoparMan
January 10th, 2016, 12:09 PM
One million if you don't play the power play, which is a multiplier that can be as high as 5 times, I think.

Drachen596
January 10th, 2016, 12:32 PM
I think i read somewhere that this last drawing had something like 75% of all the possible number combinations sold.

overpowered
January 10th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Do they award Match 5? What's the biggest non-billionaire prize you could land?Yes. 6 people in California alone matched 5. It was over 700k for them.

overpowered
January 10th, 2016, 02:10 PM
For powerball, You match the 5 base numbers you get $1 Million, regardless of the jackpot. You match 4 base + the powerball you get $50,000. And then this number and smaller winnings will be multiplied by the randomly selected multiplier (2,3,4,5,10x) if you spend and extra dollar per ticket. The biggest non-jackpot you can win, however is $2M if you match the 5 base numbers, spend $3 on the ticket for "powerplay". The base 5 with powerplay is only ever $2M, regardless of the multiplier.

(They added 10x multiplier when they lowered the odds by adding numbers and upped the minimum jackpot back in October. I think at this time the 4+1 prize went from $10k to $50k)You're numbers are off. It's parimutuel so the values vary by how many people win.

http://www.calottery.com/play/draw-games/powerball

novicius
January 10th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Cool, thanks. :D :up: #uselessfacts

Freude am Fahren
January 10th, 2016, 03:46 PM
You're numbers are off. It's parimutuel so the values vary by how many people win.

http://www.calottery.com/play/draw-games/powerball

Not sure what you mean by that? (can't access site bc work)

All of those of course could be less if they don't have enough money available because of how many winners there are, but they're not automatically split, like the jackpot.

overpowered
January 10th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Each level gets a certain percentage of the pot. That percentage is then divided among the winners at that level.

Yw-slayer
January 10th, 2016, 06:21 PM
HK lottery wins are tax exempt, but the usual draw (twice weekly) ranges from US$1 to 5 million. Jack shit given the cost of living in this town. Not that I'd complain if it just landed in my lap.

overpowered
January 11th, 2016, 09:23 AM
https://www.facebook.com/photo/download/?fbid=733000793396854

Estimate revised to $1.4B. $868M cash value. $524M after federal tax.

Freude am Fahren
January 11th, 2016, 10:59 AM
$323M after hookers and blow.

Also, there a thing going around on facebook saying If we divide 1.3B by the population of 300M, everyone can have 4.3 million. This (edit: THE BAD MATH) is why America sucks.

thesameguy
January 11th, 2016, 11:22 AM
I really wish you hadn't said that.

I was talking with my gf the other day about "what if we won" (which would be a miracle, because we didn't play) and my exact words were: "I wouldn't change a thing. I am happy with my life and my job, and the only thing money might do is eliminate a few minor stress points. But with several hundred million on tap I could generate a little slack for virtually everyone. I don't know why I wouldn't do that."

I can't understand *at all* why someone with millions, tens of millions, or hundreds of millions just wouldn't help. When your circumstances are such that you couldn't possibly find yourself with financial problems everything else is excess. Everything else could do better for someone else.

Maybe all the lottery players should form a corporation and agree that whoever wins splits it between all the players. Turn in your non-winning ticket to the person who won and get a few million, no questions asked.

Fucking people.

Freude am Fahren
January 11th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Except no, because math. (That meme going around is wrong. Everyone gets $4.33, or really like $4.07 or something with accurate population numbers).

sandydandy
January 11th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Powerball question: Do current ticket purchases (from Sunday to Wednesday) count toward the current jackpot? Or the next draw?

Phil_SS
January 11th, 2016, 12:05 PM
They count toward the current as yet to be ultimately determined jackpot.

I know that sounds kinda vague cause it is. They don't actually know what the final jackpot is until all the tickets are sold for the drawing on Wednesday. And because of all the publicity this has received it is going to be huge. I wouldn't doubt that by the end the winner will get one billion+ as the cash payout. Which is nuts unto itself because they could be giving away 1/2 billion dollars.

I was talking to my mom and she was asking what I would do with the money and she was commenting on how people that win these big lotteries end up having crappy lives. Because people bother them etc. And my answer was, that's because they have no goals on what they want to do if they had that kind of money. I have all kinds of hopes and dreams and things I want to do that I would have a great time doing if I won.

thesameguy
January 11th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Except no, because math. (That meme going around is wrong. Everyone gets $4.33, or really like $4.07 or something with accurate population numbers).

Yeah, I know - but it is the concept which I think counts. One person could have a mountain of money they would have to actually try to use, or lots and lots of people could have some money they could use immediately. :)

Freude am Fahren
January 11th, 2016, 12:15 PM
It sucks you can't collect anonymously in most states.

Kchrpm
January 11th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Win jackpot. Start charity. Fly around the world and meet celebrities and models at car races sponsored by charity.

overpowered
January 11th, 2016, 02:50 PM
$323M after hookers and blow.

Also, there a thing going around on facebook saying If we divide 1.3B by the population of 300M, everyone can have 4.3 million. This is why America sucks.Whomever did that was not using a U.S. billion. If you do the math, that's $4.33 in U.S. billions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billion

thesameguy
January 11th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Win jackpot. Start charity. Fly around the world and meet celebrities and models at car races sponsored by charity.

Amateur philanthropist would be a hell of a job.

FaultyMario
January 11th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Genius, playboy, billionaire, philanthropist.

thesameguy
January 11th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Sadly, money can only buy two of those four. The other two are just luck. :)

overpowered
January 11th, 2016, 06:34 PM
http://gawker.com/fox-news-buy-every-lottery-ticket-you-can-afford-1752237711

:smh:

overpowered
January 12th, 2016, 02:18 PM
1.5B now with cash value estimated at $930M. Cash value could actually hit 1B.

Sad, little man
January 12th, 2016, 05:09 PM
So, being that the payout is now more than the cost of buying tickets with every number combination, I guess there's no magic "buy all" button, is there?

(Yeah yeah, I know this scheme relies on no one else winning.)

overpowered
January 12th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Think about the kind of work it would take to fill out that many ticket slips with all 292,201,338 combinations and then running them through machines. It's just not feasible.

There probably aren't than many people who can easily put their hands on $584,402,676 in cash. I doubt that many of them are prone to lotto fever.

Even if you could do it, if two other tickets hit, you're fucked.

Freude am Fahren
January 12th, 2016, 10:09 PM
Apparently some group in Australia tried something like that once but only had enough time to buy 5 of the 7 million combination of $1 tickets in a Virginia lottery. Thankfully for them, they did manage to win (imagine not winning after buying $5mil in tickets?).

The logistics just don't work when the odds are this big though. The time (and paper!) needed to do it are unrealistic.

mk
January 13th, 2016, 12:54 AM
Flooding seems to be balancing.

Some shallow sea level warnings around here.

George
January 13th, 2016, 12:04 PM
A rant aimed at nobody here but to the corporate world in general:

If I hear one more person say or write "I'm having issues..." when they mean "I'm having a big fucking PROBLEM over here!", I think I'm going to tear the buttons off my shirt in a rage and go out in a blast of office glory in a Chris Farley-style rant about people who are too damn girly or scared or wimpy or whatever the hell it is that makes people say issue when they mean PROBLEM.

Stop inventing new meanings for words. Stop turning nouns into verbs and vice-versa. Above all, stop using CORPSPEAK, dammit!

/rant off

thesameguy
January 13th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Dude, you got issues.

21Kid
January 13th, 2016, 12:35 PM

George
January 13th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Dude, you got issues.

Everyone knows that about me already. :lol:

Oh, wait. I should have said:

That KT has been completed.

KT = knowledge transfer in CorpSpeak, for the lucky few who don't know that. Also notice I used the passive voice for the verb. In CorpSpeak, one never makes bold proclamations, such as "I finished the work" or "I trained my replacement."

No.

It must be "The work has been completed" and "the replacement has been trained", as if some divine hand made the event in question occur. Never take responsibility and say "I did that" in CorpSpeak. Instead, say "that has been done." :smh:

George
January 13th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I know griping about CorpSpeak is so 1998, but we're having daily international conference calls and they're like contests to see who can say the most outrageously incorrect things in an attempt to sound smart, or powerful, or whatever makes managers feel important. All the worker bees listen at these calls but only the highest level managers speak, and they seem like they're all trying to outdo one another in whitewashing a completely messed up situation.

There have been so many impossibly stupid things said, but the one that got me going just before I received the email saying someone couldn't or wouldn't do the work requested because they were having "issues" logging into the system, was someone using the noun "action" as a verb, such as, "We need someone to action this item."

I just can't understand how bright, experienced, and well-educated people MY AGE AND OLDER, in some cases, have started talking like this. Do they think it makes them seem cool to the younger workers? That's certainly not the case in my department, where the youngest person is 39.

Hey, it's a free country. Say what you like. As for me, I'll just grumble about it at my favorite forum, since I can't log into the system either.

Red text above vs. blue text = the world vs. me.

speedpimp
January 13th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Old dude, you really like need to chillax, dude, or that shit is gonna like eat you alive, bruh.

George
January 13th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Speaking of chillaxing, I just learned what "Netflix and chill" means. :eek:

Someone (not me, sadly) wisecracked that used to be called "Betamax and relax". :lol:

thesameguy
January 13th, 2016, 02:41 PM
The lingo is part of belonging. Go to a warehouse, hang out with landscapers, or spend time at an auto repair shop. Anywhere people work together a sort of dialect is formed to go with it. I agree that "white collar shop talk" is inane, but it's natural and unavoidable.

Sad, little man
January 13th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Today on plumbing with SLM, I'll show you how to use a handheld bidet valve to tap into a toilet supply line and divert water through a washing machine supply hose into your clothes dryer to supply the steam clean cycle.

...I have officially broken all plumbing conventions. I didn't even bother trying a hardware store. I'm in the "order a bunch of obscure fittings from Amazon" stage of plumbing jackassery.

overpowered
January 13th, 2016, 08:04 PM
I bought one ticket. How is it possible that I did not win? :smh:

mk
January 13th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Be aware.

overpowered
January 13th, 2016, 10:00 PM
The news says that there are at least 3 jackpot winners.

Kchrpm
January 14th, 2016, 03:46 AM
I walked up to a kiosk and put in $20, the only cash I had, then realized it didn't give change. Oh well. $20 in, nothing out, but talking about what I'd do with a billion dollars at work was more fun than just losing it all on a slot machine.

novicius
January 14th, 2016, 04:09 AM
I bought one ticket. How is it possible that I did not win? :smh:
Me too! :lol:

21Kid
January 14th, 2016, 05:10 AM
I saved $2 by not buying one. If I save up a little bit at a time, I'll be rich!!! :finger:

overpowered
January 14th, 2016, 07:53 AM
Final jackpot was $1.586B, $983M cash value. Didn't quite make it to a billion cash value. 3 winners, $327M each.

novicius
January 14th, 2016, 07:57 AM
That's about the average of what the Top 40 individual U.S. earners (I think, it could have been household) claimed as income in 2014. :lol:

Freude am Fahren
January 14th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Just missed out on being one of the .00001%'ers

thesameguy
January 20th, 2016, 06:32 PM
Just noticed that you can buy a $50 Amazon.com gift card on Ebay for $64.

WTF.

overpowered
January 20th, 2016, 06:44 PM
Back when I was doing a lot of photography in the 90's I tried to buy stuff on EBay but invariably I would be outbid, usually by a few people who bid more for the used item that you could get it new from B&H. People are idiots.

I finally gave up on buying what was then current generation stuff. I did end up buying some old stuff cheap like a Nikkormat FT3 which was nice for macro stuff because it had mirror lockup, unlike all other Nikon SLR's of the 90's except for the expensive top of the line models.

mk
January 21st, 2016, 02:08 AM
Burger and restaurant in same sentence must be an error of some sort.

Godson
January 21st, 2016, 11:41 AM
When you have a joint Costco card with a buddy, and the buddy takes you off the card and doesn't tell you about it.

mk
January 22nd, 2016, 09:41 AM
<40 in vs. out.

overpowered
January 22nd, 2016, 04:39 PM
One thing that's always annoyed me about Anonymous is their use of the Guy Fawkes mask. They took that idea from the movie V for Vendetta. The thing is the people wearing the masks are supposed to be the good guys. Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the House of Lords in 1605 to restore a catholic monarch. He was a terrorist; not a good guy.

Sad, little man
January 22nd, 2016, 05:49 PM
Yes, and the swastika used to be a universal symbol of good luck, then hitler shat all over it. Symbols change their meanings over time, get used to it.

mk
January 27th, 2016, 02:01 AM
~20 in vs. out.

Yw-slayer
January 27th, 2016, 02:36 AM
Yes, and the swastika used to be a universal symbol of good luck, then hitler shat all over it. Symbols change their meanings over time, get used to it.

He also reversed it. Get it right.

Godson
January 27th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Blah blah blah. History. Blah blah blah.

George
January 27th, 2016, 08:58 AM
Yes, and the swastika used to be a universal symbol of good luck

We have my wife's grandmother's high school yearbook from, oh, I dunno - the 1920s, or maybe the early 1930s, perhaps. I'll have to check.

Anyway, the name of the yearbook is The Swastika, and there's a large swastika on the cover. I can post a pic from home if anyone wants to see it.

overpowered
January 27th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Youtube's speed controls rule. Slow videos that don't get to the point very quickly at least can get there a bit faster now. All other streaming video services suck.

Freude am Fahren
January 27th, 2016, 10:02 AM
I hate when someone posts a video of something in slow-mo only. I want to see it in real time!!

Godson
January 29th, 2016, 10:09 AM
I was going to be picking up a 1999 ducati 748s later today. Bad idle, to the point it sounded as if it was running on one cylinder, and a spare engine for 1700$.

One of the guys in the club I am with just bought it out from under me, and is a "collector" of sorts. The issue is this bike has 20k miles on the chassis, and has a newer engine in it. So nothing about it is a collectable.

This fucker also NEVER rides.

Kchrpm
January 29th, 2016, 10:11 AM
You know what to do

http://www.autoclassmagazine.com/web/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/cage.jpg

thesameguy
January 29th, 2016, 10:14 AM
A+

Godson
January 29th, 2016, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty pissed off about it.

Godson
January 29th, 2016, 10:15 PM
So I just put a deposit on this instead.

http://denver.craigslist.org/clt/5425280239.html

George, do you have any free time to swing by and check this out for me?

overpowered
January 30th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Am I the only one who's starting to get a little freaked out when they see a an aging rock star in their FB feed but before they read the caption?

Godson
January 30th, 2016, 11:02 AM
That bike is a scam. If it isn't, the guy is very impatient and poor at communication. Trying to figure out how I can get my deposit back right now.

George
January 30th, 2016, 12:27 PM
It it were closer to me, I'd be happy to, time permitting, but Westminster is probably an hour's drive north of me. Feel free to ask again though, should the situation arise.

Best of luck with the deposit and all that.

MR2 Fan
January 30th, 2016, 01:58 PM
Am I the only one who's starting to get a little freaked out when they see a an aging rock star in their FB feed but before they read the caption?

Agreed, at this rate they're going to call this "the year the music died" :(

Godson
January 30th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Paypal reimbursement claim filed.

thesameguy
January 30th, 2016, 03:28 PM
Man, best of luck. I always thought people from Denver were cooler than that.

George
January 30th, 2016, 03:51 PM
If I can help at all from a somewhat local standpoint, send me a PM.

You've probably noticed there's a house number visible in one of the photos, but I guess if it's a true scam, those are stolen pictures.

Freude am Fahren
January 30th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Deposit on a Craigslist private seller? Never heard of that.

He's not Nigerian royalty is he? ;)

Good luck with it.

Godson
January 30th, 2016, 04:59 PM
I have the guys address. I asked if I could put a deposit down. We shall see. If he is a fuck, then he is a fuck.

Godson
January 31st, 2016, 05:42 AM
Since when has been paying by PayPal and having a bike shipped become sketchy?

Freude am Fahren
January 31st, 2016, 06:57 AM
Oh it's not. I guess I just read it as you putting in money before everything else was sorted out.

Godson
January 31st, 2016, 07:19 AM
Since when has been paying by PayPal and having a bike shipped become sketchy?

Oh it's not. I guess I just read it as you putting in money before everything else was sorted out.

This is regarding a different bike in San Diego. I asked how the guy felt about me paying by paypal, and I arranging with a shipper to have the bike picked up. Dude said it felt sketchy... I honestly don't understand anyone anymore.

overpowered
January 31st, 2016, 08:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0qD2K2RWkc

Freude am Fahren
January 31st, 2016, 09:15 AM
This is regarding a different bike in San Diego. I asked how the guy felt about me paying by paypal, and I arranging with a shipper to have the bike picked up. Dude said it felt sketchy... I honestly don't understand anyone anymore.

Ah, okay. I think that paypal is probably the most secure way to buy something online.

thesameguy
January 31st, 2016, 10:03 AM
I dunno. I live and breathe through CL and wouldn't go for that deal without a lot of assurances. When I sold a Saab to a lady from Chicago I made her send me a personal check with a copy of her drivers license and told her I would hold the funds for ten days.

Related, I have $800 un my PayPal account right now from someone who was supposedly buying an iPad from CL. The person seemed fishy so I used some tools I have to find the owner of the address I was shipping to, then her email address... which wasn't the address I had been communicating with. Turns out her shit was hacked. I notified PayPal and she notified her bank. I still have the money two weeks later. Seems like nobody is in a hurry to get Deanna her dough back.

So, yeah, I don't trust PayPal or long distance transactions.