PDA

View Full Version : This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Godson
January 31st, 2016, 10:48 AM
Guess the west coast is a mess then.

thesameguy
January 31st, 2016, 11:00 AM
I dunno. The buyers were in Illinois and South Carolina, respectively. The reason people put stuff on CL is to not deal with paypal and shipping. Ebay would be a smarter bet for someone interested in a wider audience. I mean, CL has PAGES dedicated to the "paypal shipping scam" - it's a pretty universal thing. Lots of people just don't have the interest, including me.

Godson
January 31st, 2016, 11:18 AM
Fair enough. It just makes it a fucking pain in my ass

thesameguy
January 31st, 2016, 12:52 PM
That is true, and I've been a victim of it too - I just can't get too upset, because I wouldn't deal with me either. :)

overpowered
February 3rd, 2016, 07:17 AM
Amazon puts most book and record stores out of business.
Opens a bunch of book stores.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/ct-amazon-opening-hundreds-of-bookstores-20160203-story.html

novicius
February 3rd, 2016, 08:07 AM
What fucks. :down:

tigeraid
February 3rd, 2016, 09:03 AM
I dunno.... Not to say they aren't to blame for running businesses out of town, but it seems like the e-book bubble has sort of burst, or at least leveled off. I'm guilty of it too--I switched to e-books maybe six or seven years ago, really loved the novelty of it for a while... And then it wore off, and I'm suddenly buying paper books again. It's a tactile sort of comfort in reading a physical book, and in the case on on-fiction stuff, or stuff with lots of references and pictures, it's easier to flip back and forth between pages than it is on an e-reader.

I still keep my kobo and read lots of fiction on it, when I'm out and about, or at work. But mark me down as a guilty one still wanting to buy paper.

overpowered
February 3rd, 2016, 10:09 AM
It wasn't just e-books. Amazon was buying books in volumes that independent bookstores couldn't compete with and even chains had trouble with. Only super store chains like Walmart and Target could really compete and nobody could compete with Amazon for selection.

I read an article once where a music store owner who had gone out of business found that he could buy CD's cheaper from Walmart than from his wholesale suppliers.

thesameguy
February 3rd, 2016, 10:24 AM
I used to run a software store, and without fail CompUSA and the like would sell *especially* games for less than I could buy them. That was irksome. I remember sending employees to CompUSA to buy games off the shelf which we'd resell at the same price just to have them in the store. In the end, it worked out ok.

I choose to blame the government for this current Amazon-related hilarity.
I also think books need to go. Driving around in cat-less car also feels good, but we don't do it because it's a pointless toll on the environment. Like books. :devil:

tigeraid
February 3rd, 2016, 12:30 PM
It wasn't just e-books. Amazon was buying books in volumes that independent bookstores couldn't compete with and even chains had trouble with.

Ah. Understood. That does suck then.

Drachen596
February 3rd, 2016, 11:22 PM
Anyone ever had anything good come from talking to an ex? Particularly one who is unhappy with their current situation.

Yw-slayer
February 4th, 2016, 02:17 AM
It depends on what you mean by "talking" and "good".

Cam
February 4th, 2016, 03:25 AM
Don't forget why he/she is an ex.

Cam
February 4th, 2016, 06:46 AM
Shopping for trousers that fit is not possible if you are tall and skinny. Many manufacturers make 36 length legs, but stop at 32 waist. If your waist is smaller than that, you're screwed. :mad:

novicius
February 4th, 2016, 07:13 AM
Heh or short & fat. :lol:

overpowered
February 4th, 2016, 07:16 AM
Well crap. I cleaned out my closet a while back (I never do that) and I took a bunch of old jeans (from as far back as high school) to Goodwill. 36 length. 28-30 waist. Levi's 501's.

I've still got my 32's but I have this fantasy that I'll be able to wear them again at some point. Stuck with 34's for now.

I don't want to be skinny enough to fit into anything less than 32 again.

Cam
February 4th, 2016, 07:24 AM
The size really depends on the manufacturer and style, but can still vary wildly. I have a pair of Levi's that are 32 waist, but they're snug. I have two pairs of Lucky jeans with 31 waists and they're falling off me. I had to put on a belt today to hold them up. :lol: I have some shorts from Old Navy and a pair of wool dress pants that are 30 waist.

Godson
February 4th, 2016, 07:30 AM
I know you don't want to pend 70+ on a pair of jeans, but Buckle has 30L (30 x 36) in stock on a regular basis.

It really is the only place I can buy jeans.

Kchrpm
February 4th, 2016, 07:39 AM
I was trying to find a long, thick robe for a friend who was moving to New York to try and get into runway modeling, and she was built appropriately (~5'10", skinny). The looks I got from the ladies working at lady big & tall stores when I said I was looking for something tall but not big...

George
February 4th, 2016, 07:40 AM
I too finally got rid of some Levi's from as far back as the 1980s - the good kind that were made in the USA and were outgrown, not outworn, except a couple pairs that were so incredibly faded and yet somehow not torn anywhere that I kept them out of amazement that denim could get that white and thin. I also donated a bunch of 32" waist khakis and dress trousers after giving up on that fantasy, like OP mentioned. I was wearing them about 12 or 13 years ago when I got down to 165 pounds due to a physically demanding job, but I don't think I'll ever get that thin again.

36 inch inseams? Dang, you fellas must be really tall, or leggy like spiders. I'm between 6'1" and 6'2" and I wear 32" inseam jeans, and I have to cuff the bottoms when I'm at home without shoes on, so they don't drag on the carpet and fray in back at the hems.

Currently I'm stuck between waist sizes where my 36" waist jeans are too big, and they are wrinkled around the waist once I buckle my belt, but a couple pairs of older 34" jeans (a different brand, though) seem just barely okay when I try them on standing up. I don't know if they'd feel roomy enough if I tried to wear them all day, with a shirt tucked in and after food and drink as the day goes on.

I need to buy some more jeans, but as I need to get another job in the next few weeks, I've avoided buying any clothing until I know what I'll need for work. If I go back to wearing jeans only on weekends, I'll be fine with what I have. Hopefully I'll land another job where business casual, including jeans, is the norm.

I'm also maintaining a weight that's twenty pounds lighter than I have been in recent winters. I credit bicycling for that, even though I haven't ridden in over a month now.

overpowered
February 4th, 2016, 07:55 AM
I'm about 1/4" short of 6 feet. I've got long legs (and arms) for my height.

Cam
February 4th, 2016, 08:03 AM
6'1" here, also with long limbs.

Back when I graduated high school, my brother wore 29-36 jeans. He was taller and skinnier than I was. I think we wear the same size pants now.

21Kid
February 4th, 2016, 08:12 AM
Shopping for trousers that fit is not possible if you are tall and skinny. Many manufacturers make 36 length legs, but stop at 32 waist. If your waist is smaller than that, you're screwed. :mad: 36"??? I only wear 34" length.

We'll have to take our pants off... to compare. ;)

George
February 4th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Thinking about the jeans I wore in high school made me remember something silly. In the western US, Wrangler jeans are as common as Levi's or Carhartt jeans. Maybe more so. But, back east in the '80s, at my high school anyway, NOBODY wore Wrangler jeans, except for one boy.

I might have known his real name once upon a time, but if I did, it's long forgotten. I didn't really know the kid. It was a very large high school and he was only in one of my classes, ever - Technical Drafting I or II. He always wore Wrangler jeans and everyone called him "Wrangler" - even Mr. Derr, the drafting teacher. Maybe that's why I don't remember his name. :lol:

For whatever reason - probably cruelty to begin with, kids standing around outside during lunch periods or in the halls between classes or in the student parking lot after school would yell, "Hey, Wrangler", whenever he'd walk by. It was sort of like kids yelling "Hey, Kool-Aid!" in TV commercials back then. He'd walk by and nod. I don't remember him talking much. Now that I think back, I hope he somewhat enjoyed his fame and isn't scarred for life by the meanness of kids poking fun at someone who didn't quite match everyone else.

Sorry to bore you guys with yet another dumb memory, but I haven't thought about the kid called "Wrangler" in ages.

overpowered
February 4th, 2016, 09:03 AM
I remember thinking that Michael Phelps was like the opposite of me. I looked it up. He's 6'4" with a 30" inseam. He's a penguin.

Godson
February 4th, 2016, 10:38 AM
He is. Look at his reach though. ;)

Drachen596
February 4th, 2016, 02:39 PM
It depends on what you mean by "talking" and "good".

good as in a happy resolution to a situation. And talking as in discussion about current situation and some talk of the past.

Drachen596
February 6th, 2016, 02:53 AM
http://i81597.wix.com/sprucestove

Finally a wood stove for only burning a big log a little bit at a time instead of all at once!

MR2 Fan
February 6th, 2016, 01:20 PM
I'm going to the Distant Worlds: Final Fantasy concert tonight....quite excited as they only do this concert a few places in the world and somehow St. Petersburg, Florida made the cut.

Cam
February 6th, 2016, 02:12 PM
I'm graduating in May. My seven-semester (2.66 year) education cost approximately $35,000. That's a nice down payment on a house or a nice new car. :(

speedpimp
February 6th, 2016, 03:41 PM
The combined binding capabilities of cheese and bananas are not to be questioned.

Sad, little man
February 6th, 2016, 05:50 PM
Remember ladies, Wolfgang Ballinger doesn't ask, he just takes:

http://college.usatoday.com/2016/02/06/fraternity-president-at-cornell-charged-with-sexual-assault/

Just look at him. God what a fuckin' doucebag.

thesameguy
February 6th, 2016, 11:37 PM
Um.

novicius
February 7th, 2016, 05:13 AM
I'm graduating in May. My seven-semester (2.66 year) education cost approximately $35,000. That's a nice down payment on a house or a nice new car. :(
Congratulations Cam! :up:

I was able to waste 5 years of my life for less money than that in the early '90's. :lol:

Godson
February 7th, 2016, 06:25 AM
Congratulations Cam! :up:

I was able to waste 5 years of my life for less money than that in the early '90's. :lol:

And here I am with 22k and a good paying job from my education... Different strokes I suppose.

overpowered
February 7th, 2016, 08:32 AM
When I was going to UCSD back in the 80's, there was no tuition but there were about $500 in fees per quarter for CA residents. It's about ten times that now. The bulk of that increase is that CA residents now have to pay tuition.

https://students.ucsd.edu/finances/fees/registration/2015-fall/index.html

Freude am Fahren
February 7th, 2016, 08:35 AM
I think I paid more for my books over my 4.5 years than I did for tuition. That's thanks to going to an in-state school with good grades in highschool. Lottery paid for my education basically.

Sad, little man
February 7th, 2016, 12:29 PM
My head is a very dangerous place to be.

overpowered
February 7th, 2016, 05:53 PM
Didn't feel like watching the game. Went to Costco. Parked in the pole position on the first pass. Walked up to the food line. There was no line. Got some food quick and ate it. Went inside, got my stuff quick. The line to checkout actually was kind of long because there were only a few checkouts opened.

Costco almost empty on a Sunday. It was almost surreal.

Cam
February 7th, 2016, 06:53 PM
A couple of my old Simpsons colleages now work as story artists at Disney and have been for several years. One even voices Flash in Zootopia.

Godson
February 7th, 2016, 06:57 PM
New job?

Cam
February 8th, 2016, 02:53 AM
I enjoy living with my wife too much to move.

Godson
February 8th, 2016, 06:09 AM
You couldn't work from home?

Kchrpm
February 8th, 2016, 06:32 AM
I enjoy living with my wife too much to move.

:up:

As for working at home, in my head I'm picturing epic machines are used for movie creation, and they would not be too keen on people having remote access to them from home.

Plus, you have to, like, collaborate with a bunch of people, right?

Cam please correct me and inform us! My watching of various making-of stuff is woefully limited and out-of-date, and you have been in the belly of the beast!

21Kid
February 8th, 2016, 07:04 AM
Congrats Cam! Are you having a graduation party? ;)
I haven't looked at what our financial aide bill is at. The last few years of medical school have been over $50k each, I think. :( 7 down, 1 more year to go... :eek:

Random
February 8th, 2016, 08:36 AM
Didn't feel like watching the game. Went to Costco. Parked in the pole position on the first pass. Walked up to the food line. There was no line. Got some food quick and ate it. Went inside, got my stuff quick. The line to checkout actually was kind of long because there were only a few checkouts opened.

Costco almost empty on a Sunday. It was almost surreal.

Local friend had the same experience at her Trader Joe's. The only problem was that the "B Team" was clearly working the registers. Doh.

George
February 8th, 2016, 09:00 AM
I was at Target yesterday just before the game. They have 27 cash registers. Yes, twenty-seven, and they're numbered, which I how I know this.

They had three (3) open. :angry:

Nah, I wasn't really mad or anything, and I took the time in line to remember the realities of scheduling retail employees, back when I stupidly took a job that required me to do that, along with many even more unpleasant tasks.

The always huge checkout lines at Costco are one of several reasons I'm not a member, although at my last job, I worked near one, and sometimes went in to refill my cholesterol tank on the cheap. Their food counter was close enough to the door that you could walk in and get one of those huge hotdogs and a gallon-size fountain drink for $1.62, including tax, and completely bypass the person checking membership cards.

Cue up "Breakin' The Law"! :rawk:

Cam
February 8th, 2016, 09:32 AM
We are all friends on Facebook, except for George. Y'all should know what I've been up to recently.

Are you having a graduation party?
Yes, at Goodwood in June. :D

I do not know what I will do after school. I could probably get freelance animation work, but I haven't looked too hard yet, certainly not from Disney. I may have to get a menial job locally, one that is not related to my field of expertise. We need to pay off debt before I think about building a woodworking shop, if that is even what I want to pursue full time. I do not plan very far ahead. I feel like we are still in a transient phase of our life. Depends on what happens with Lori's career.

MR2 Fan
February 8th, 2016, 10:21 AM
another year of crap super bowl commercials

Godson
February 8th, 2016, 01:41 PM
another year of crap super bowl commercials

Helen Mirrans was great

Drachen596
February 8th, 2016, 02:01 PM
Hmmm blocked by the ex.

In reality just blocked by her cheating worthless husband who feels its okay to snoop through her phone.

Sad, little man
February 8th, 2016, 02:22 PM
If you like it you should have taken a ring off of it and put another ring on it, or something, I don't know, the world needs to burn.

Drachen596
February 8th, 2016, 02:42 PM
I just find it amusing.

she'll unblock me in a couple days.

Sad, little man
February 8th, 2016, 02:49 PM
I hope and pray to any god that will listen that there is a giant asteroid which has so far eluded detection heading quickly towards earth.

Kchrpm
February 8th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Dear same god, ignore him.

novicius
February 8th, 2016, 03:55 PM
Girl trouble SLM? I thought you met The One?

Sad, little man
February 8th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Intellect is the enemy of bliss. I wish I was stupid.

novicius
February 8th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Ah well, easy come, easy go.

Hope it works out for you. :up:

overpowered
February 8th, 2016, 05:00 PM
It was in the 80's today, in February.

overpowered
February 8th, 2016, 11:41 PM
Puppy monkey baby is fucked up. Seriously.

21Kid
February 9th, 2016, 07:43 AM
fLOLrida -

Assault with a deadly weapon: Florida man charged with throwing alligator into Wendy’s (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/02/09/assault-with-a-deadly-weapon-florida-man-charged-with-throwing-live-alligator-into-wendys/)

The driver, wearing a backwards baseball hat, arrived at the drive-through window to receive a large drink just before 1:30 a.m. on Oct. 11, according to the report’s summary of surveillance footage.
“While the attendant has her back to the window and is at her register, the male driver reaches across the inside of his vehicle in the passenger area and throws an alligator from his vehicle into the drive through window,” the report reads.

thesameguy
February 9th, 2016, 08:23 AM
They do love to yuk it up there!

Godson
February 10th, 2016, 08:55 AM
If you ever want to really hate people, just look up 'Christians for Michelle Bachmann' on Facebook.

Fucking imbeciles

George
February 11th, 2016, 12:17 PM
I'm sitting here, contemplating my hunger from not eating anything yet today, and I realized that about once every few years or so, when I happen to think of them, I miss Chinese buffet restaurants. I remember eating at one with my wife when we first moved to Colorado, 11 years ago. It was one of our first days in town, living an apartment, and there was one right down the street. I think that may have been the last time, and I've realized I don't even know where any are, anymore.

I guess they've all gone away for good reason - because nobody wanted to eat frozen food from a microwave and recycled an unknown amount of times that everyone has sneezed, drooled, and who knows what else on, but I can remember doing serious damage to them with my buddies back in college, and that reminds me of that old joke about the owner saying "Time to leave! You've been here three hours!" Well, that wasn't the exact joke, but it gets the point across just as well.

I've got the hongries right now almost badly enough to consider Taco Hell.

Almost.

The good news is this is my second day of wearing 34" waist jeans that I haven't worn in many years. Just call me Colorado Slim...or Joe Anorexia. :cool:

Kchrpm
February 11th, 2016, 12:20 PM
"Time to leave! You've been here three hours!" Well, that wasn't the exact joke, but it gets the point across just as well.

"You go NOW! You here FOUR HOUR! You eat shrimp like whale!"

Something like that, can't watch this at the moment but I presume it's all here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAkXPpBnSkM

There's a Chinese buffet within walking distance of my office, I go once or twice a week for lunch. There are others in the metro Cincy area, not hard to find.

George
February 11th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Ha! Yep, that's what I was thinking of. I don't think I've ever seen the original, but of course I've heard other people quote that guy mocking angry buffet owners.

thesameguy
February 11th, 2016, 12:50 PM
You guys ran out of Chinese buffets? That sounds insane!

MR2 Fan
February 11th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Not a buffet, but Panda Express just closed next to where I work...a sad day. I always liked going there for overpriced, average chinese food....actually only really because it was fast and convenient.

George
February 11th, 2016, 01:00 PM
It's so bad here - and by bad I mean generic suburban sameness - that I looked on Yelp! and Panda Express and Noodles & Company show up as recommended Chinese restaurants.

Sure, we have some Chinese restaurants, but not one buffet that wouldn't take me at least a half-hour to drive to, and probably more. I think they may be more of an east coast thing, however. It seemed like in any low-rent shopping center back east where a few restaurants had tried and failed, finally a Chinese restaurant would open up and do just fine. Here, those same places are Mexican restaurants...not that that's a bad thing, but I'm looking to destroy a Chinese buffet right as soon as I can break out of this sweatshop, in a couple hours.

21Kid
February 11th, 2016, 01:03 PM
The Panda Express around here is really good actually.

I went to a Tokyo Joe's in Colorado for the first time over Xmas. They are pretty good too.

Drachen596
February 11th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Lots of Chinese food places here. Buffets too.

Think my favorite is thr one i get at work. Great food always hot when you get it for good prices. And they deliver.

TheBenior
February 11th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Not too many Chinese buffets in Chicago either; I think most of the ones I've seen have been closed down. In any case, take-out places of varying quality are cheap and plentiful.

Plenty of Chinese restaurants, but no good ones, according to a white guy from Australia.

MR2 Fan
February 11th, 2016, 01:53 PM
The Panda Express around here is really good actually.

I went to a Tokyo Joe's in Colorado for the first time over Xmas. They are pretty good too.

Tokyo Joe's....is it mostly chinese food?

There's a restaurant near here, the sign says "Tokyo- Chinese"....WTF?? No, no, no.

One thing that bothers me is how often people mix up China and Japan here

TheBenior
February 11th, 2016, 01:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_CaZ4EAexQ

Drachen596
February 11th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Do any of you have that person from the past that everytime they show up in your life seem to suddenly take up 90% of your thoughts?

Alan P
February 11th, 2016, 03:55 PM
There's a really good Chinese buffet only about 20 minutes drive from my house. Really good stuff. They make everything on site and the sweet and sour sauce is to die for.

Cam
February 11th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Bought three pairs of jeans from Gap's online store. Two are the same style "slim" and the third is "skinny." All are 32x36 by the label. I knew it was a crap shoot for fit. I normally like to try clothes on before buying them, but I just can't get 36 leg in any brick and mortar store nearby. The skinny jeans fit nicely and the leg is surprisingly long, like 38, not 36. The other two have normal legs, but the waists are both slightly too big, one obviously bigger than the other. They are supposedly the same size and style, bought from the same store at the same time. So much for quality of construction. :rolleyes:

Cam
February 11th, 2016, 05:16 PM
In other news, my lady applied for a gig in Bristol a few weeks ago. She was just notified that she has been long-listed, which means she has been selected as a top 20 candidate out of 130 applicants. They plan on selecting 5 of those 20 for interviews in April. 1 in 4 chance, baby. :)

Aardman Animations is in Bristol. :rawk:

novicius
February 11th, 2016, 05:38 PM
Hey good luck! :D :up:

Tired of that Columbia life, y0? I just remember Lori's job search to land this gig took awhile and I thought this was the lead-pipe lock for her to stay...?

Cam
February 11th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Well, sometimes a sweet opportunity presents itself that you just can't ignore.

Columbia has been great for her career. Bristol would be great for BOTH our careers.

novicius
February 11th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Well definitely good luck then! ;)

21Kid
February 12th, 2016, 06:33 AM
Tokyo Joe's....is it mostly chinese food?

There's a restaurant near here, the sign says "Tokyo- Chinese"....WTF?? No, no, no.

One thing that bothers me is how often people mix up China and Japan here It's americanized... it's probably closer to something like Noodles & co, now that I think about it. But, they do have sushi and Bento boxes. I didn't try those when I went.

that’s when I came across my healthy Japanese food idea. Not Chinese food, which is often deep fried or wok cooked. But Japanese, which most often is grilled or steamed. And upon deeper review, I found it to be exactly what I was searching for …
menu (https://tokyojoes.com/menu-nutrition/signature-bowls/)

21Kid
February 12th, 2016, 06:46 AM
You just want to be close to Rob, don't you?

Sad, little man
February 12th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Upgrading to the latest OSX stripped the date stamp off of everything in my internet download folder. I downloaded everything to that folder, and I never sorted anything in it. I just relied on those date stamps.

Essentially, I'm never going to find any file ever again now. :(

JoshInKC
February 12th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Oh god, that sounds like an absolute nightmare. Good luck.

Cam
February 12th, 2016, 05:52 PM
First world problems. Can't sort porn by date.

Godson
February 12th, 2016, 07:21 PM
And cam with the zinger.

Yw-slayer
February 12th, 2016, 10:32 PM
Upgrading to the latest OSX stripped the date stamp off of everything in my internet download folder. I downloaded everything to that folder, and I never sorted anything in it. I just relied on those date stamps.

Essentially, I'm never going to find any file ever again now. :(

Shoulda stuck with Windows #MicrosoftRulesAppleDr00lz

thesameguy
February 13th, 2016, 08:39 AM
HFS+ is more like HFS- know what I'm saying!!!

Yw-slayer
February 14th, 2016, 01:51 AM
HFS+ is more like HFS- know what I'm saying!!!

PREACH IT BRUTHAH

speedpimp
February 14th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Lost a coworker and another coworker's son early yesterday morning. The car they were in lost control on a bridge and went into a creek. They found the car and their bodies this morning. Fuck.

Cam
February 14th, 2016, 01:26 PM
:(

lostnight
February 14th, 2016, 04:41 PM
That is too sad Rich, loss for words

George
February 14th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Very sorry to hear this sad news. :(

Life is precious.

Yw-slayer
February 14th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Harsh, man. Sorry to hear it.

Godson
February 14th, 2016, 06:54 PM
Life reminds us every so often how harsh it is. Sorry to hear the bad news.

speedpimp
February 15th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Between the two they leave behind six kids between the ages of 1 yr and 10 yrs.
I talked to my boss this morning and he said that the coworker had just moved into an apartment on that road and was unfamiliar with the road at night. He said she was too close to the edge of the bridge and the car went into the creek and landed on its roof in four feet of water. There were no guard rails on the bridge. If there had been they would still be alive, six kids would still have their parents and I wouldn't be typing this right now.

21Kid
February 16th, 2016, 06:13 AM
damn... :(

Alan P
February 16th, 2016, 07:09 PM
:( Any reason the bridge doesn't have guardrails? Every bridge over here does. Harsh man. Life sucks. :(

Drachen596
February 16th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Moms been in the hospital since Saturday. Blood sugar of 1400 some nasty cold and severe kidney issues.

She got out of icu tonight. They have found some other issues including an ulcer that they are treating. Shes improving although no idea when she will return home or if she can continue to work.

Alan P
February 17th, 2016, 09:43 AM
Sounds like she's in the right place Drachen and I'm pleased she's on the mend.

Yw-slayer
February 17th, 2016, 03:31 PM
I don't think it's a major issue, although I only very rarely do it (usually only if I've pulled or am about to pull an all-nighter or have had a power nap).

speedpimp
February 17th, 2016, 03:34 PM
:( Any reason the bridge doesn't have guardrails? Every bridge over here does. Harsh man. Life sucks. :(

Because "it's a lightly traveled road" according the local road commission. Chances are there will be guardrails installed now.
Toxicology report came back and the driver had a BAC of .14. That being said, if there had been guard rails it probably would've increased their chances of surviving.

speedpimp
February 17th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Sorry to hear about your mom Joe.

Godson
February 17th, 2016, 06:52 PM
Joe, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, has she been diagnosed with diabetes of any sort in the past? 1400 is INSANELY high.

DKA is a very real issue at anything about 500. Let me know if I can answer any questions or if I can help out in any way.

Drachen596
February 17th, 2016, 08:14 PM
Shes had type 2 for quite a while. So thats not new except for it being that bad.

shes out of icu and from what im hearing doing way better. Ill see her tomorrow and I guess theres a cade manager meeting at 2pm.

tigeraid
February 18th, 2016, 08:00 AM
1400!? That can't be mmo/L ?

Godson
February 18th, 2016, 10:57 AM
It actually can be. I've seen that high before.

I've also seen as low as 13

Random
February 18th, 2016, 11:11 AM
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy an umbrella when the rain starts on your walk to lunch.

Kchrpm
February 18th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Money buys comfort and access, which often makes happiness easier to acquire.

thesameguy
February 18th, 2016, 11:34 AM
I've definitely bought happiness before. I don't know what you two are talking about.

Kchrpm
February 18th, 2016, 11:38 AM
My statement does not disagree with yours.

thesameguy
February 18th, 2016, 11:42 AM
;)

Freude am Fahren
February 18th, 2016, 11:43 AM
Money buys comfort and access, which often makes happiness easier to acquire.

Seriously, why do people not get this. Maybe a better saying is poverty kills happiness.

thesameguy
February 18th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Chuck Palahniuk might disagree.

Alan P
February 18th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Money doesn't buy happiness but it's an awful lot more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes with heated, ventilated, massaging seats than it is on a Bicycle.

speedpimp
February 18th, 2016, 03:25 PM
This.

TheBenior
February 18th, 2016, 03:25 PM
Money buys happiness up to a certain income level, which varies by location.

Freude am Fahren
February 18th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Yeah, if you make $1M/year, $2M/year isn't going to solve your problems. If you make $30k/year, $60k/year is really going to make a difference.

Drachen596
February 18th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Shes getting out sometime in the next couple of days with some future requirements about eating and homecare.

just need to make some changes with living situations which means a home purchase or maybe two in the future.

Sad, little man
February 18th, 2016, 05:09 PM
Money buys happiness up to $75,000/yr. Debate over, you're welcome.

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2019628,00.html

Cam
February 19th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Money doesn't buy happiness but it's an awful lot more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes with heated, ventilated, massaging seats than it is on a Bicycle.
Some of us really like cycling. Cycling puts a smile on my face, even on my cheap, 30 year old Craigslist bike.

I think folks that believe money can buy happiness measure their success by their bank account balance.

I believe I'm rich in life.

mk
February 19th, 2016, 11:30 AM
I believe none of us knows poverty.

Cam
February 19th, 2016, 11:39 AM
There was a time I was down on my luck for a few years. I had to rely on help from family and was even on welfare for a bit. I got through it.

mk
February 19th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Some years ago somewhere in Africa a family got a sack of rise, it was white, unbelievable.
Instantly old lady of the house took a bowl of it and gave it to the neigbour, so that that they can live a bit longer.

Cam
February 19th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Touché.

MR2 Fan
February 19th, 2016, 12:33 PM
Some years ago somewhere in Africa a family got a sack of rise, it was white, unbelievable.
Instantly old lady of the house took a bowl of it and gave it to the neigbour, so that that they can live a bit longer.

just because it was white? that's racist.

mk
February 19th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Now a days the house is repaired, kids are in school, a plat has a mailbox and a villege elders have a water tight document storage.

edit,
status of neigbours is unknown.

overpowered
February 19th, 2016, 04:09 PM
I believe none of us knows poverty.There's poverty and then there's poverty.

When I was in college I was broke most of the time. I paid my own way. I had lots of roommates. Didn't have my own room to sleep in. Had to put up with all sorts of roommate shit. I ate a lot of blue stripe (Ralph's generic brand) macaroni and cheese because I couldn't afford that fancy Kraft stuff.

It sucked.

On the other hand, I didn't have kids that had to share in the poverty with me. That would have sucked a lot worse.

Yw-slayer
February 19th, 2016, 10:06 PM
MO MONEY, MO PROBLEMS.

overpowered
February 19th, 2016, 10:45 PM
Money doesn't buy happiness but it's an awful lot more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes with heated, ventilated, massaging seats than it is on a Bicycle.A lot of us like riding a bicycle and wouldn't trade it for a Mercedes with heated, ventilated, massaging seats.

Some bikes do cost more than a cheap car though.

thesameguy
February 19th, 2016, 11:33 PM
Easy to say until you have to spend the night on your bike.

Drachen596
February 20th, 2016, 12:17 AM
without money would you have the happiness of the bike?

So mom is out of the hospital. her treatments and prescriptions she has leave me wondering how easy type 2 can change to type 1 or if it can though. she's staying with my sister and her husband due to the severe incompatibility of my work schedule and when she needs someone to be around.

JoshInKC
February 20th, 2016, 04:32 AM
Man, I would not have guessed that Harper Lee would be my second favorite author to die yesterday.
Umberto Eco dead. (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35620368)

overpowered
February 20th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Easy to say until you have to spend the night on your bike.What makes you think I haven't?

Yw-slayer
February 20th, 2016, 08:27 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Baudolino was his most enjoyable work.

Sad, little man
February 20th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Man, I would not have guessed that Harper Lee would be my second favorite author to die yesterday.

I'm sorry, I just don't get the whole Harper Lee thing. She wrote a book. One book. Then this other book turned up later that isn't apparently much good. Do we celebrate any other artist who has only made one work the same way we celebrate Harper Lee?

overpowered
February 20th, 2016, 10:25 AM
If you're going to write one book, winning a Pulitzer for it and having it become standard reading in schools and one of the most famous novels of all time is not too shabby.

JoshInKC
February 20th, 2016, 11:30 AM
I'm sorry, I just don't get the whole Harper Lee thing. She wrote a book. One book. Then this other book turned up later that isn't apparently much good. Do we celebrate any other artist who has only made one work the same way we celebrate Harper Lee?

What's there to get or not get? Yeah, it was only one book, but it was a great and socially important one. Also, and very importantly - it's one of very few really great books that most Americans will ever read due to its' being required in many middle schools.

Writers who were one and done include Margaret Mitchell, Ralph Ellison, John Kennedy O'Toole, Boris Pasternak, Anna Sewell, JD Salinger, and Sylvia Plath.

In music there's a pretty good selection of groups or artists who only put out one great album and called it a day for one reason or another- Mad Season, Black Star, Mother Love Bone, Jeff Buckley, Lauryn Hill, The Sex Pistols - Hell, Minor Threat never even recorded a whole album.

Sad, little man
February 20th, 2016, 11:32 AM
I am the king of the flakes.

Freude am Fahren
February 20th, 2016, 03:56 PM
I've never read Death of a Salesman, To Kill a Mockingbird, Great Gatsby, The Hobbit, and many other 'staples'. I only read Catcher in the Rye a few years ago. I hated reading up until recently. I've recently decided to catch up on a lot of those.

overpowered
February 21st, 2016, 12:41 AM
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey
Butane in my veins and I'm out to cut the junkie
With the plastic eyeballs, spray paint the vegetables
Dog food stalls with the beefcake pantyhose

Leon
February 21st, 2016, 09:08 AM
Damnit, had a big fall with a rolled ankle during a "Step" class at the gym.

Rolled it hard, hit the ground. Can't walk 24 hours later unless the ankle is heavily strapped. So I guess this stuffs me for the gym for a week or so. Hopefully I haven't messed up anything serious in there.

speedpimp
February 21st, 2016, 11:56 AM
Hope you feel better Greg.

21Kid
February 22nd, 2016, 06:09 AM
Why are you a loser OP?

Yw-slayer
February 22nd, 2016, 06:39 AM
Sorry to hear that. On the other hand, now your next 7 workouts can be UPPER BODY!!

Godson
February 23rd, 2016, 06:41 PM
The moment when you get stuck in a situation, regarding something you love more than anything, and the only option is to completely give it all up.

Fuck.

speedpimp
February 24th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Don't worry, Tyler. Your eyebrows will grow back.

thesameguy
February 24th, 2016, 10:27 PM
Awesome: The intersection of your girl's birthday and your anniversary, a nice hotel booked in another city, and spending the evening before figuring out which strip club you're going to while you're there. I'm not saying /life, but it's not far off.

Yw-slayer
February 25th, 2016, 12:22 AM
Damn you,

thesameguy
February 25th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Casa Diablo Vegan Strip Club it is.

thesameguy
February 29th, 2016, 09:00 PM
So, that did not work out as planned.

However, I would like to take a brief moment to comment on walking out of bourbon lounge having consumed copious Thomas H. Handy Sazerac, jumping in a Tesla EcoCab and arriving moments later at a store front where anyone with a valid state ID can buy a joint. And then doing it.

My comment is: Awesome.

Yw-slayer
February 29th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Damn you.

thesameguy
March 1st, 2016, 09:18 AM
Portland may be surpassing Denver as my long-term goto.

We're going to do some empirical studies and include an Altanta suburb, something like Coeur d'Alene, and maybe BFE, Wyoming just to be sure. Honestly, Portland sets the bar pretty high in terms of satisfying my ridiculous hippy tendencies with proper downtown action.

George
March 1st, 2016, 09:40 AM
Awesome.

Indeed.

A friend told me about going to one of those valid state ID places and getting to choose a free one of those with any purchase, because it was "Twisted Tuesday" at that particular establishment.

thesameguy
March 1st, 2016, 09:59 AM
One of the dispensaries we passed by had a sign out front that said "Free Girl Scout Cookies with $75 purchase." My first thought was "Man, Girl Scout Cookies sound pretty good," and my second thought was "ZOMG, $75 of weed? How high you gotta be?" That was before I realized that due to set prices and taxes, $75 of legal weed is not the same as $75 of illegal weed. Not that I buy illegal weed (I'm serious, I don't), but I still know what $75 should get. A lot. I imagine as a real pothead I'd be pretty mad about gubment prices, but as a random schmo who just might like a smoke every now and again I'm not mad. Plus, it's good tax revenue, cuts into the illegal drug trade, and gives actual people actual jobs. All win. Go OR & CO.

21Kid
March 1st, 2016, 10:13 AM
I'm surprised that there hasn't been more news around legalized weed. It's a pretty relevant subject, IMO.

George
March 1st, 2016, 11:01 AM
I'm surprised that there hasn't been more news around legalized weed. It's a pretty relevant subject, IMO.

We subscribe to the Denver Post on Sundays and most weeks there is a story about weed somewhere in the paper. Articles are usually written about the state of the industry from a business standpoint, rather than how-to tips or product reviews. :lol:

You don't have to buy $75 at a time, either, unless you want that box of cookies. If you have friends coming in from out of state or the weekend, for example, you can buy $20 or $30 worth and be set. It's so potent that a tiny pinch of bud is all one needs these days, if you don't have the tolerance that comes from heavy usage.

From my limited experience with this legal product - honestly, I could never be a regular user, my wife has absolutely no interest in it, and our kids are old enough now that I would never bring it into our home again - it's cheaper than stocking the fridge with decent beer for the weekend, if you compare money spent vs. time spent in an different state of mind.

I'm down to just a few days left at my current job, so I have no qualms about posting this from work. :D

thesameguy
March 1st, 2016, 11:32 AM
What, it's legal... they can't be mad at you for talking about legal things in a responsible manner. :lol:

I think the fact that nobody is talking about it is proof that it's just not a big deal. It's every bit the same legitimate business that a brewery or distillery is with about the same side effects - there will be some not interested, some abusers, and a big fat center section of people who engage more or less responsibly.

In PDX, I was way more concerned about a few donut shops and ice cream parlors than dispensaries. Two hours lines stretching down the street to get some fried bread seems like a larger issue. :lol:

Yeti
March 1st, 2016, 11:46 AM

I was doing some reading about the old IMSA GTP racing series a couple of weeks ago, and of course nobody writing about that series can resist bringing up Randy Lanier (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTdBbQMxuYw) and the other racers involved in the drug trade back then.

Apparently Randy got released in 2014, after nearly 3 decades, and apparently one of the first things his now-grown daughter (who lives in CO) told him when she came to pick him up from prison, is that the thing he was incarcerated for so long ago is now legal in her state.

Apparently Randy laughed. I guess it's good to have a sense of humor about some things.

Kchrpm
March 1st, 2016, 11:56 AM
That's a sticky wicket. A product being legal in some states is not the same as it being legal to import it from another country. If a race team tried to bring back a crate of undeclared iPhones with their equipment from a race in Asia, they'd get arrested as well.

But I understand the point and the irony.

Yeti
March 1st, 2016, 12:02 PM
Yeah, smuggling is always a big no-no.

Unless you're Han Solo.

Still, I think the 'war on drugs' made for a rather extreme sentence in that particular case.

Kchrpm
March 1st, 2016, 12:29 PM
Agreed. They couldn't easily catch and punish the cartels in other countries, so they tried to scare off the couriers with crazy sentences.

thesameguy
March 1st, 2016, 02:12 PM
Thank God they did that, or there would be prevalent drug use in this country today!

:rolleyes:

Kchrpm
March 1st, 2016, 04:57 PM
IRON FIST ALWAYS WORKS!!!!

21Kid
March 2nd, 2016, 05:58 AM
Ugh. :rolleyes: They don't even need to make up headlines any more.

Celebrities Doing Things!
Everything your favorite celebs did during the week of Feb. 28.​​
Cosmopolitan :barf:

thesameguy
March 2nd, 2016, 11:51 AM
What I like to do is care about what other people care about. Saves time on the research.

thesameguy
March 2nd, 2016, 11:15 PM
Dear Firefox:

Fuck you. What kind of asshat web browser caches temporary redirects and then never consults the base URL again? You need to think about your life and be prepared to jump off a tall building. You had remained in my good graces on one computer. Your tenure there has ended. I hope I never see you again.

Yw-slayer
March 3rd, 2016, 01:56 AM
I switched to Chrome years ago, bro.

Godson
March 3rd, 2016, 06:57 AM
Chrome or bust

thesameguy
March 3rd, 2016, 07:08 AM
Chrome sucks worse. Want to change filters? TOO BAD, USE OURS. New update breaks something you rely on? TOO BAD, WE DONT OFFER OLD VERSIONS. Disabled auto update to prevent that scenario from unfolding? TOO BAD, SOMETIMES WE CHANGE HOW IT WORKS. A pox on Chrome,

I'm using Lynx.

Freude am Fahren
March 3rd, 2016, 07:17 AM
I went to Chrome late last year. I tried it a couple years ago and didn't like it, so I stayed on the Firefox bandwagon. Then Firefox stopped working correctly at work, so I had to use Chrome. After getting used to it, I prefer it. Better performance, lighter feeling, and best of all, I can sign in and keep my bookmarks, settings, log-ins, etc. anywhere I go.

The only problems I have with Chrome is no Silverlight support, which i need for some work stuff, and no equivalent to FireFTp, so I have to open Firefox for those.

Alan P
March 3rd, 2016, 04:30 PM
I'm feeling terribly unfulfilled today. Not sure why.

Also I'm considering NOT re-applying for my JEDI role at work. It's a secondment to begin with, initially for a year but it's gone on a little bit longer but the rules state that the role needs to be re-advertised and we need to reapply again. Not sure I can be arsed with that hassle. Getting pissed off with some of it and some of the politics and especially pissed off with the new manager. 2 months into the business I've worked in for 10 years and she's already trying to change what we've been doing for a year.

Also it was marketed as 'an opportunity'. I haven't seen or had jack shit difference between where I am now and, well, anything.

Sad, little man
March 4th, 2016, 07:28 PM
What once seemed indispensable now could feasibly be considered disposable.

stephenb
March 5th, 2016, 06:24 AM
Could someone kindly explain to me how I pre-order or pre-install something?

Kchrpm
March 5th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Go to store. Find item on sale for pre-order. Add item to virtual or physical cart. Checkout said item.

speedpimp
March 6th, 2016, 02:24 PM
The freezer I'm selling (http://southbend.craigslist.org/app/5479028681.html). Not advertising it here, just sharing the ad.
Hello, I'm a Frigidaire chest freezer and I'm about five years old. My exact size is 5 cu. ft. and I'm too small to be of any use to these people any more, so they don't want me around because all I do is take up space without contributing anything. So before I runaway and join the circus I am giving you the chance to welcome me into your home. I work perfectly and I have a very chill demeanor, some people would even describe me as freezing them out. The cost to adopt me is $50 or maybe even a little less, but not too little, because going for too cheap would seriously damage my self esteem.

Freude am Fahren
March 8th, 2016, 05:38 PM
The second Wachowski sibling is a woman as well now. I think that's the 'glitch' they were talking about.

George
March 9th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Don't we have a clothing or shoe thread around here somewhere? If not, I'll start one, but I was almost positive there was one here where our resident hipsters talked about ordering skinny jeans and so forth.

Cam
March 9th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Bristol didn't work out. :(

21Kid
March 9th, 2016, 01:29 PM

overpowered
March 10th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Marky-Mark has created a bottled water company called Water-water, erm, I mean Aquahydrate with P Diddy.

Alan P
March 10th, 2016, 06:45 PM
I found out a friend died at some point this week. We only met in person twice and there was no funny business or anything. We met playing Words with friends a couple of years ago and used to text at least once a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. The last text I got from her was on 01/03. She was never on Facebook much but saw her name mentioned today and it was her brother saying that he'd lost her this week. I don't even think anyone else knew we talked regularly and I know she was diagnosed with Diabetes early last year and, TBH, failed to take it seriously. not checking her Ketamine levels daily, 'forgetting' to take her insulin and she must have been in and out of hospital because of it about a dozen times in the past year. It's just a bit of a shock really. I have no idea what happened or even if it was Diabetes related but she had a 13 year old daughter. :(

speedpimp
March 11th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Sad.

overpowered
March 12th, 2016, 09:04 AM
If New York City was a state, it would be the 12th most populous state in the U.S.

Random
March 12th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Rhode Island would be the 39th largest California county, by area.

Sad, little man
March 14th, 2016, 04:45 PM
The fact that dating the person with the lowest match percentage of anyone I've dated is going better than any of the ones with a high percentage leads me to believe that I and everyone like me are not good relationship material.

Random
March 14th, 2016, 06:24 PM
Or that "matching" is overrated. Mapper and I are polar opposites in a lot of ways, but it works out. :)

21Kid
March 15th, 2016, 06:09 AM

Yw-slayer
March 15th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Or that "matching" is overrated. Mapper and I are polar opposites in a lot of ways, but it works out. :)

Paula would agree?

Kchrpm
March 16th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Paula would agree?

mk
March 17th, 2016, 10:38 AM
I don't get it(Paula) but at least she is part of the community.

Random
March 17th, 2016, 11:37 AM
I don't get it(Paula) but at least she is part of the community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xweiQukBM_k

(I had to look up the reference too.)

Drachen596
March 20th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Hmmm... ex hasn't contacted me in a weel or so now.

radio silence since the day she was tslking about the world revolving around her and i said mine didnt and i couldnt allow it to.

not too surprised though.

speedpimp
March 21st, 2016, 02:54 PM
I love it when someone who is constantly threatening to quit gets called out of their fucking bullshit and told to either shit or get off of the fucking pot. Guy had been with the company since just before Christmas, in that time he hit a car at a customer, knocked the mirror off of his truck, was constantly taking off work because he was "sick" and threatening to quit on an almost daily basis. Adios, mother fucker.

thesameguy
March 21st, 2016, 03:14 PM
Guess I need to quit. :lol:

speedpimp
March 21st, 2016, 04:47 PM
Do your customers/coworkers hate you? The customers on his route hated/disliked him with a passion.
He was even more disliked than Mittens, our dispatcher. I gave her that nickname and it seems to have stuck.

thesameguy
March 21st, 2016, 07:03 PM
Mittens? Do tell.

I used to work with someone we nicknamed Sock because she had a sock under the bikerack on her trunk as if to keep it from rubbing the paint. Based on her physical characteristics it seemed unlikely she ever rode a bike, so we speculated it was the sock that was important, and the bikerack was installed to keep it in place on her trunk.

speedpimp
March 22nd, 2016, 10:49 AM
I call her Mittens because she reminds me of a cat. She hides paper work that is needed by others, she forgets to input orders, she casually knocks stuff onto the floor with her tail, she has a years long catty disagreement going with another coworker(I have learned to stay way the fuck away from that mess). The tail thing is a joke but the other shit is true.

MR2 Fan
March 23rd, 2016, 09:34 AM
Phife Dawg from A Tribe Called Quest has died :(

One of the best rap groups of the 90's

speedpimp
March 23rd, 2016, 04:33 PM
Add in Joe Garigiola and Ken "The White Shadow" Howard too.

FaultyMario
March 24th, 2016, 12:39 PM
And Johann "Fucking" Cruyff.

speedpimp
March 24th, 2016, 01:05 PM
And Garry Shandling.

Cam
March 24th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Can't wait for school to be over. This is going to be a long goddam six weeks. :(

Meanwhile, back to doing homework!

21Kid
March 24th, 2016, 01:18 PM
:angry::angry::angry: GODDAMN City of Chicago!!!!! How would I know I needed a city sticker?

I called the city clerk's office to find out...

She said we should just know. :erm: And I asked how... "We don't send out anything" Well, how would i know then? "You can look online" Not if I don't know to. "Well, other people have stickers on their cars" How am I supposed to know what that means? "Other people ask people that already live in the city" I just moved here, I didn't know to ask anyone. "Well, that's what other people have told me" So, if I don't already know, there's no way to find out besides already knowing, or knowing someone that knew? That doesn't make sense. *CLICK* she hung up on me... :angry::angry::angry::angry:

speedpimp
March 24th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Your car got towed?

novicius
March 24th, 2016, 01:32 PM
And Garry Shandling.
Holy shit -- he did not look good during his ep of "Comedians in Cars getting Coffee". :(

21Kid
March 24th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Your car got towed?
Yeah, Shannon parked at a friends house and didn't see the no parking after 7 am sign at the end of the block.

This made me feel better. :lol:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7-HyiNMSwX8

thesameguy
March 24th, 2016, 02:22 PM
Wow, it takes days for Sacramento to get around to actually tow your car. They'll ticket you *immediately* and keep doing it, but they won't move it for a while.

Sorry bro!

Sad, little man
March 25th, 2016, 06:35 AM
You guys remember how like ten years ago, right when you got a call on a cell phone (or maybe when you made one too) any speakers in the vicinity would make these strange electronic tones for a second or two?

Why doesn't that happen any more? Has cell technology changed that much?

21Kid
March 25th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Yes. The NSA was having a difficult time listening to everyone's calls with all of the background noise.

MR2 Fan
March 25th, 2016, 07:13 AM
You guys remember how like ten years ago, right when you got a call on a cell phone (or maybe when you made one too) any speakers in the vicinity would make these strange electronic tones for a second or two?

Mine would cause interference with my speakers even when not getting a call

Random
March 25th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Brrrr brr-t-brr-t-t-br-t-brrp.

AT&T phones seemed particularly prone to it.

speedpimp
March 25th, 2016, 02:10 PM
My Tracfone(LG 800) still does it occasionally.

mk
March 25th, 2016, 02:12 PM
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_z230-1725.php

Original battery and going strong.

overpowered
March 25th, 2016, 06:23 PM
Learned this from Chuck Yeager's FB feed. Actor Jimmy Stewart was initially drafted into the military in 1940 but was rejected for being underweight for his height. He worked on gaining weight and lobbied to get into the USAF and eventually made it in 1941, before Pearl Harbor. Already being a highly experienced pilot, he lobbied for and got pilot training even though he was 33 which was much older than normal for new flight cadets. Even so, the military intended to use him for training films and selling war bonds but he was having none of that and lobbied for and became a combat pilot flying lots of real missions in Europe including over Germany. He went from private to colonel within 4 years. He remained in the reserves after the war until 1968 and eventually became a brigadier general.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stewart#Military_service

pl8ster
March 25th, 2016, 06:46 PM
Who does this guy think he is, Guy Fieri?

Kchrpm
March 25th, 2016, 09:47 PM

Yes. With the switch to HSPA and other 3G techs, that went away IIRC. I don't know if the new radio tech itself fixed it, or if they implemented something else that did it.

JoshInKC
March 25th, 2016, 10:23 PM
I think t still happens, just at a difference frequency or amplitude or something - I very occasionally hear it when my podcast co-host puts his phone down too close to the mic. Same basic noise though.

Kchrpm
March 26th, 2016, 04:09 AM
AFAIK all phones sold in the US still have legacy radio setups on them (I was in places with only 2G or 1G service with T-Mobile yesterday), when you switch back over to one of those maybe it still does it. I clearly remember having some phone that would make speakers tick if I was on EDGE or GPRS, but wouldn't if it was on 3G. That doesn't mean I'm 100% certain it actually happened, though :|

JoshInKC
March 26th, 2016, 05:24 AM
I bet you're 100% right, the room we record in has pretty marginal cell signal, so I bet I only hear it when its having trouble with 4g and trying to connect to the legacy systems.

George
March 26th, 2016, 06:31 AM
Learned this from Chuck Yeager's FB feed. Actor Jimmy Stewart was initially drafted into the military in 1940 but was rejected for being underweight for his height. He worked on gaining weight and lobbied to get into the USAF and eventually made it in 1941, before Pearl Harbor. Already being a highly experienced pilot, he lobbied for and got pilot training even though he was 33 which was much older than normal for new flight cadets. Even so, the military intended to use him for training films and selling war bonds but he was having none of that and lobbied for and became a combat pilot flying lots of real missions in Europe including over Germany. He went from private to colonel within 4 years. He remained in the reserves after the war until 1968 and eventually became a brigadier general.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stewart#Military_service

I had to go back to the Reading thread to find the title, but I enjoyed this book from the library a while back.

http://www.amazon.com/Jimmy-Stewart-.../dp/0760328242

Blurb from Amazon:

Of all the celebrities who served their country during World War II -and they were legion -Jimmy Stewart was unique. On December 7th, when the attack on Pearl Harbor woke so many others to the reality of war, Stewart was already in uniform - as a private on guard duty south of San Francisco at the Army Air Corps Moffet Field. Seeing war on the horizon, Jimmy Stewart, at the height of his fame after Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and his Oscar-winning turn in The Phadelphia Story in 1940, had enlisted several months earlier.

Jimmy Stewart, Bomber Pilot chronicles his long journey to become a bomber pilot in combat. Author Starr Smith, the intelligence officer assigned to the movie star, recounts how Stewart's first battles were with the Air Corps high command, who insisted on keeping the naturally talented pilot out of harm's way as an instructor pilot for B-17 Flying Fortresses and B-24 Liberators. By 1944, however, Stewart managed to get assigned to a Liberator squadron that was deploying to England to join the mighty Eighth Air Force. Once in the thick of it, he rose to command his own squadron and flew twenty combat missions, including one to Berlin.

Godson
March 28th, 2016, 03:31 AM
I just found out, one of the nicest and most fun members in the Ducati owners group I frequent had a stroke. He is in his late forties early fifties. Condition is currently serious.

I'm sick to my stomach from the news.

Alan P
March 28th, 2016, 04:35 AM

JoshInKC
March 28th, 2016, 04:58 AM
Ugh. Strokes are terrible. Maybe my greatest fear alongside alzheimers.

thesameguy
March 28th, 2016, 08:36 AM
Seconded. Ugh.

Godson
March 28th, 2016, 12:45 PM
And he is now in hospice. I just. I don't know.

TheBenior
March 28th, 2016, 02:50 PM

Godson
March 29th, 2016, 03:31 AM
The suffering is over, not the 'healing' begins.

JoshInKC
March 29th, 2016, 04:08 AM
So I think I've stumbled into something pretty big and pretty important career-wise. It's a subject that's almost completely unexamined in the scholarly literature due to some perceived difficulties with legalities and the archaeological record (which I think I might have figured out a way to solve). The downside is that it relies/focuses on subfields of archaeology that I'm not particularly interested in. But it could result in a seriously career-making Doctoral thesis, years or maybe decades of further work on the subject, and being THE GUY to talk to/read about it.

Kchrpm
March 29th, 2016, 05:10 AM
Boner excavation?

Kchrpm
March 29th, 2016, 07:14 AM
Good idea: putting cool pictures on your smartwatch face.
Bad execution: checking the time on your smartwatch and being distracted by the cool picture and forgetting to read the time

George
March 29th, 2016, 07:37 AM
So you put the Torino Girl on your watch? :p

21Kid
March 29th, 2016, 07:47 AM
Sounds cool Josh, keep us in the loop. :D:up:

George, it's probably a random pic from boobepedia.com

Kchrpm
March 29th, 2016, 08:04 AM
It's a selfie my friend took with the flowers I got her...at the moment. Previously it has been boobepedia-adjacent.

Cam
March 31st, 2016, 12:08 PM
I saw an ad for a promising job as an animation prof in a nearby city, but far enough away that I could not commute on a daily basis. I really like living with my wife and dog and vowed in the past that I would not live apart from them. I want to apply just to see what would happen. It's really frustrating to have to let opportunities like that go. :(

Kchrpm
March 31st, 2016, 12:11 PM
:( Would it require five days of classes, or could you get it to be 2 or 3 days of non-stop classes?

Cam
March 31st, 2016, 12:20 PM
I don't know. That's one of the reasons I want to apply; to glean more info.

thesameguy
March 31st, 2016, 12:23 PM
Can you use something like Google Glass to remote coach someone through the job while you lounge around at home and split the salary?

Cam
March 31st, 2016, 12:29 PM
Can always rely on TSG for the :lol:

Kchrpm
March 31st, 2016, 12:31 PM
http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/movieposters/10076/p10076_p_v8_ab.jpg

Cam
March 31st, 2016, 12:40 PM
I don't get it.

Kchrpm
March 31st, 2016, 12:47 PM
Steve Martin (with a prosthetic nose) feeds lines to a handsome guy for him to repeat to the titular Roxanne in order to woo her. Modern day Cyrano de Bergerac (sp?).

speedpimp
March 31st, 2016, 12:59 PM
Used plenty of times in sitcoms over the years as well.

MR2 Fan
March 31st, 2016, 01:12 PM
Can you use something like Google Glass to remote coach someone through the job while you lounge around at home and split the salary?

I've heard of people being hired to do work for a lot of money, then having someone from India do all of the work for them...not sure if it was true or part of a TV show or something....

thesameguy
March 31st, 2016, 03:03 PM
There was a story in some tech blog about a guy who did that - telecommuter who outsources his work to - I think - Russia. I'm sure others have worked out similar deals.

I think the idea has serious merit.

thesameguy
March 31st, 2016, 03:04 PM
Steve Martin (with a prosthetic nose) feeds lines to a handsome guy for him to repeat to the titular Roxanne in order to woo her. Modern day Cyrano de Bergerac (sp?).

I was just going to say "Can you Cyrano de Bergerac the thing?" but I didn't know how to spell it either. :lol:

Cam
March 31st, 2016, 04:09 PM
I just did a lot of reading about the place. Lots of negative stuff from what seem like reliable sources, all saying similar things. I don't feel like applying any more. :lol:

thesameguy
April 1st, 2016, 08:35 AM
Seems like a perfect opportunity to try my approach.

Just sayin'.

mk
April 5th, 2016, 09:16 AM
A ferry ride.

http://brokeassstuart.com/blog/2016/04/04/man-captures-worst-ferry-ride-ever-through-hilarious-updates/