PDA

View Full Version : This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

FaultyMario
May 29th, 2017, 05:18 AM
Social media is just an amplifier of what's always been there.

Wait... What does that say about me? Shit!

MR2 Fan
May 29th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Tiger Woods getting a DUI does NOT need to be the top headline for news in the U.S.

dodint
May 29th, 2017, 04:14 PM
And yet...

Godson
May 29th, 2017, 06:31 PM
At least it isn't trump doing something fucking stupid.

MR2 Fan
May 30th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Things I hate: restaurant servers who never write down your order...all of it gets "memorized" until it doesn't and they screw it up.

At least make it LOOK LIKE you're writing shit down, otherwise we are not impressed by your memorization skills, we just want our correct order delivered in a timely manner.

George
May 30th, 2017, 12:18 PM
Tiger Woods getting a DUI does NOT need to be the top headline for news in the U.S.

Okay. How about this, instead?

https://i.redd.it/y3oarifq8n0z.jpg

MR2 Fan
May 30th, 2017, 12:20 PM
:lol:

GreatScawt
May 30th, 2017, 12:39 PM
Apparently he was not intoxicated by alcohol. He blew 0.0. Just an unexpectedly bad combination of medications. So he pulled his car over when he realized it and passed TF out on the spot. If that's true then good for him for being relatively responsible in such a situation.

Freude am Fahren
May 30th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Well, that may not be entirely true. He had scrapes down one side, two flats on that side, and the brake lights were illuminated. So I think he was out before he came to a stop.

But a bad reaction to meds while irresponsible isn't on the same level as a true drunk driver.

Godson
May 30th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Still under the influence. Meds are labeled for a reason. Though this might be easier to forgive.

2ndMoparMan
May 30th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Today was a good day. Got my car plated, got a very nice item today in World of Warcraft, and won 500 bucks on a 10 dollar scratch off ticket.

/IceCube

Leon
May 30th, 2017, 05:13 PM
Nicely played (literally, in the case of WoW and the scratchie)

George
May 31st, 2017, 11:55 AM
If I ever play professional baseball and get beaned by a pitcher, I'm taking the bat with me to the mound. :mad:

Damn fools always drop the bat before charging the mound, and then get their asses kicked by the pitcher and his teammates. :smh:

MR2 Fan
May 31st, 2017, 01:21 PM
If I ever play professional baseball and get beaned by a pitcher, I'm taking the bat with me to the mound. :mad:

Damn fools always drop the bat before charging the mound, and then get their asses kicked by the pitcher and his teammates. :smh:

I like how he tried to throw his helmet at the pitcher and it just went flying off to the side... (Someone please post the video as I can't look for it now :P )

George
May 31st, 2017, 02:12 PM
My nine-year-old daughter could throw a batting helmet better than this guy. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrxOosmPxX8

When the batter gestures with the bat at about three seconds in, that's when I thought, hell man, just take the bat with you.

Freude am Fahren
May 31st, 2017, 02:25 PM
This is what I hate about baseball the most. The bench clearing moshpit bullshit. You don't see that in Hockey short of maybe a cheap shot on a goalie resulting in injury.

Drachen596
May 31st, 2017, 02:33 PM

Probably to avoid legal/criminal charges. Remember that some places view it as a crime even though its a sporting event.

Hockey players have been arrested and jailed for hitting people with sticks on ice.

George
May 31st, 2017, 02:57 PM
But Internet Tough Guys care not for laws and similar foolishness.

WWJRD?

(what would Jack Reacher do?)

Yw-slayer
May 31st, 2017, 06:28 PM
This is what I hate about baseball the most. The bench clearing moshpit bullshit. You don't see that in Hockey short of maybe a cheap shot on a goalie resulting in injury.

What I hate about baseball the most is that it's boring. :troll:

Freude am Fahren
May 31st, 2017, 07:09 PM
Yeah true :lol:

That was a bit of an exaggeration. It's not what I hate most about baseball. What I hate most is that they play so many games in the season (162!) that it makes any individual game you might watch up until late September seemingly meaningless.

George
June 1st, 2017, 08:29 AM
Alfred Hitchcock explains baseball:

(1:38 long)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__MuNu6jD6U

Drachen596
June 3rd, 2017, 03:47 AM
The best thing about night shift? I can be drunk at 8am and not feel like I am an alcoholic.

GB
June 3rd, 2017, 04:08 AM
Ariana Grande needs to do a nude photoshoot, with all proceeds going to a Manchester victim's fund.

Godson
June 3rd, 2017, 07:10 AM
This who hate baseball, don't understand the game :)

speedpimp
June 3rd, 2017, 09:20 AM
Ariana Grande needs to do a nude photoshoot, with all proceeds going to a Manchester victim's fund.

If that happens the only thing getting "donations" and "proceeds" would be a sperm bank.

Alan P
June 3rd, 2017, 12:36 PM

She was part of the iCloud leak if that will suffice?

MR2 Fan
June 5th, 2017, 01:52 PM
so I know people here don't discuss theme parks much....though I generally love them, however I don't talk about it here which is fine, blah blah.

Anyway, I did want to discuss something that blew me away yesterday. I visited the new Avatar: Pandora land at Disney's Animal Kingdom. First, I was always a bit negative that Disney would spend so much money on a movie franchise people really didn't care much about besides, you know, 3D!!!! But they put TONS of money into this area and full involvement of James Cameron as well.

They spent 6+ years and rumors are up to $700 to $800 million on this new land and 2 attractions.

The land is really, really something unique, looks straight out of the movie. The engineering of making "floating" mountains must have been very difficult.

But that's not the best part. They have a "Flight of Passage" ride where you link with an Avatar and ride a banshee......

Technically it's a basic simulator ride like many others before it. In reality is by far the best implementation of this technology I've ever experienced. You truly feel like you're flying around, with extremely advanced visuals, wind, mist, sound effects, etc. but also EXTREMELY smooth and really breaks the ground of wondering if you're truly going somewhere and not just on a moving platform in a stationary theater.

Someone near me asked their daughter during the ride "you realize we are still in the same place we started, right?"...I almost questioned it myself and I've been on pretty much all of the most advanced attractions.

I came off this ride realizing the bar has just been raised for these kinds of attractions, and it is something I could easily ride over and over again and not be tired of it.

Yw-slayer
June 5th, 2017, 02:15 PM
I'm keen to visit Pandora Land.

In other related news, my colleague got me to buy Planet Coaster. It's awesome on my 43" monitor at work, and my daughter and I enjoy riding different coasters on my 34" 21:9 at home.

Freude am Fahren
June 5th, 2017, 02:19 PM
I still haven't been to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It opened right around the time all my friends got married, so they all went as couples and didn't see fit to invite the single friend.

MR2 Fan
June 5th, 2017, 02:22 PM
I still haven't been to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It opened right around the time all my friends got married, so they all went as couples and didn't see fit to invite the single friend.

The butterbeer is awesome

MR2 Fan
June 5th, 2017, 02:23 PM
I'm keen to visit Pandora Land.

In other related news, my colleague got me to buy Planet Coaster. It's awesome on my 43" monitor at work, and my daughter and I enjoy riding different coasters on my 34" 21:9 at home.

Yes, Planet Coaster is fun. I've played it a bit, but my PC is too old, need upgrade to run it properly.

Yw-slayer
June 5th, 2017, 08:15 PM
Yup. I can only manage around 20fps on some of the big parks (Disneyland Paris is the best example) even with a GTX1070, but that's not really the fault of the game designers.

Kchrpm
June 6th, 2017, 03:36 AM
The land is really, really something unique, looks straight out of the movie. The engineering of making "floating" mountains must have been very difficult.
I came off this ride realizing the bar has just been raised for these kinds of attractions, and it is something I could easily ride over and over again and not be tired of it.

Same people will be designing/building the Star Wars stuff :up:

Jason
June 6th, 2017, 01:33 PM
I really want to get to Orlando sometime to visit Disney World and Wizarding World, but theme parks are expensive... I could *easily* fund a trip to Iceland with the money spent going to Orlando and all the theme parks. :|

Drachen596
June 7th, 2017, 03:00 AM
Someone is attacking Tehran. Reports are saying ISIS.

You guys ready for some weird enemy of my enemy geopolitical situations?

Jason
June 7th, 2017, 04:32 AM
You mean, like it's always been in the Middle East?

Drachen596
June 7th, 2017, 04:47 AM
Probably but its been quite a while since we grouped up with Iran. Maybe we'll even play nice with Russia for a bit.

MR2 Fan
June 10th, 2017, 10:11 AM
Apparently hamsters DO have 9 lives (Richard Hammond in another scary crash)

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40234865

XHawkeye
June 10th, 2017, 03:25 PM
more pics

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4591508/Richard-Hammond-airlifted-hospital-horror-crash.html

Leon
June 10th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Looks like a simple enough "ran out of talent" or "misread corner" incident.

Glad that he's okay.

Freude am Fahren
June 10th, 2017, 04:30 PM
So I'm reading the first book in The Expanse series, and I'm reminded of something that annoyed me in the show and that's always annoyed me in various sci-fi series.

Magnetic Boots to walk in zero-g environments. You know in the future, that none of these ships, certainly not their walkways, would be made of steel. Titanium most likely, or non-metal materials.

Random
June 10th, 2017, 06:03 PM
Iron-rich asteroids + orbital manufacturing = steel ships. :)

XHawkeye
June 11th, 2017, 08:13 AM
Video from @richardhammond direct from his hospital bed: https://t.co/lAHxpFnQTP

Freude am Fahren
June 11th, 2017, 09:06 AM
Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCwBBaZ7UAE

Dicknose
June 11th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Magnetic Boots to walk in zero-g environments. You know in the future, that none of these ships, certainly not their walkways, would be made of steel. Titanium most likely, or non-metal materials.
I think the word you are looking for is non-ferrous i.e. Not magnetic. But if you knew you were using magnetic boots you would include some amount of iron.

Ps hope hamster is ok, but damn he has had a his share of serious spills

Freude am Fahren
June 11th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Yeah, but when I said non-metal, I meant they'd be carbon fiber and such.

Godson
June 11th, 2017, 07:08 PM
Werd. Everyone keeps joking that I will set off metal detectors, all my implants are non-ferrous Stainless Steel.

Leon
June 12th, 2017, 10:52 AM
He sounds like he is rushing to a funeral. Either his, or some innocent bystander.

Cam
June 12th, 2017, 11:23 AM
:(

Jason
June 12th, 2017, 12:05 PM
Are Canadian prisons better about rehabilitation than American prisons?

sandydandy
June 12th, 2017, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't have the first clue.

mk
June 13th, 2017, 01:27 AM
Is american system even trying?
My understanding is that it's basically just a punishment.
What is IMO quite stupid in cases where inmate is one day outmate.

Drachen596
June 13th, 2017, 02:29 AM
Can't speak for all prisons in the US but I can say that Indiana does what they can. they give GED classes/testing and have the option to get college courses and degrees.

However, the problem is that being a convicted criminal is VERY limiting in job opportunities.

speedpimp
June 13th, 2017, 03:55 AM
That's why quite a few get their CDL and start driving truck.

novicius
June 13th, 2017, 04:45 AM
Or start selling used cars.

Drachen596
June 13th, 2017, 04:52 AM
Or they just grab a warehouse job like the place I work.

Sad, little man
June 14th, 2017, 02:37 PM
God I hate the USPS. They can fuck right off. Apparently "priority mail" means "You may get your package at some point on a day following the one we indicated as the expected delivery date."

Cam
June 14th, 2017, 03:52 PM
First world problems. Lori mailed herself a letter from Cape Town, South Africa in February. It arrived last week. :lol:

Leon
June 15th, 2017, 02:09 AM
Fun day, I was being a police expert witness today, in a one horse town an hour's flight on a flying pencil of death (twin prop 50 seater something with wings) plane.

Actual being witness bit wasn't very interesting, and didn't take long. Defense lawyer was (not surprisingly) a cock, so when he asked me a stupid question, I had to bite my tongue and do a slightly more grown up reply than "are you fucking blind?".

Amusing bit was that the policeman in charge of getting myself and the other flown in witness back to the airport for our flights made somewhat of an error in his timing. So we get rushed to the airport with lights and sirens going. Still missed the plane. Myself and the other witness race cars for a hobby, so were wondering why he wasn't driving faster. Also, NZ Police cars are slow. 3000cc V6 Commodores. So they make lots of revving noises and don't really go anywhere.

novicius
June 15th, 2017, 04:54 AM
God I hate the USPS. They can fuck right off. Apparently "priority mail" means "You may get your package at some point on a day following the one we indicated as the expected delivery date."
Heh FedEx too -- I agree, it's such bullshit. :smh: :down:

Drachen596
June 15th, 2017, 06:12 AM
Apparently people are super pissed that the Germans in the new CoD game don't all display swastikas on all their stuff.

Pretty sure the only uniforms that carried it were the SS and some high ranking officers but even then it was just the armband and not sewn onto the uniform itself. The only place I know for sure it showed up was on the tails of Luftwaffe aircraft.(Although I have repeatedly read that most of the Luftwaffe didn't support the Nazi Party.)

JoshInKC
June 23rd, 2017, 07:48 PM
My wife and I put our dog of 14 years to sleep today. It's a real bummer, but she'd been in decline for the last nine months or so due to kidney failure.
She was found behind the dumpster of a mexican restaurant so covered with matted hair we thought she had tumors but after a trip to the vet for a flea bath and shots, she protected us and our home from such diverse threats as cats, groundhogs, leaves, and dog 10 times her size. We spent the last few days treating her to people food and snuggling, so it was as good as it could be.

Godson
June 23rd, 2017, 07:51 PM
Fuck stabs, I'm sorry to hear that.

It sucks, I've only had Murphy for a year and a half, but I'll likely be a mess when he passes.

Cam
June 23rd, 2017, 08:00 PM

Leon
June 23rd, 2017, 08:56 PM
Pets can be both the best and worst things in our lives.

Drachen596
June 24th, 2017, 04:44 AM
How do you reach the point where you quit sacrificing for others and be selfish?

Cause i really fuckimg need to.

Kchrpm
June 24th, 2017, 05:10 AM
You decide that you really fucking need to, then you do it.

Cam
June 24th, 2017, 12:36 PM
You decide that you really fucking need to, then you do it.

QFT.

Leon
June 24th, 2017, 02:16 PM
Getting angry with them, and deciding that they can eat a big bag of dicks is usually a good start. To achieve that point, I just get really angry.

MR2 Fan
July 4th, 2017, 11:15 AM
I was wondering if there is a term for modern society where we no longer share a lot of the same experiences. A decade or two ago, most people watched things from a smaller set of movies, TV shows, video games, etc.

Now there's so many different options, youtube, streaming services, indie games on steam, etc. that it's difficult to have that shared experience with your group of friends.

So what if there's a term for it, but what if there is a term for it, but since everyone has different experiences, fewer people have seen the term, and therefore, the term itself is a symptom of the problem it is referring to! *Brain blown* :p

Yw-slayer
July 4th, 2017, 08:06 PM
Splintering?

FaultyMario
July 5th, 2017, 07:36 AM
The new revision to the e-invoicing system in Mexico. Imagine if medieval sheriffs had diabolical internet machines, only much worse.

The Mexican government has created an environment in which everything is tied to an XML and UUID – every purchase, every credit/debit note, every journal entry and every VAT report. If any link in the chain is missing, or if there is any error at any point, an electronic audit is inevitable.

The new version includes changes in structure, data format, data features and data pools/catalogues, as well as in validations and calculation rules. Specifically, we highlight the following changes:

New validation rules are applied to check the coherence of the data and prevent possible errors.
Twenty-three catalogues will be used to improve data accuracy, some of them internationally accepted. Through these, the information for certain fields will be designed.

21Kid
July 5th, 2017, 10:37 AM
I was wondering if there is a term for modern society where we no longer share a lot of the same experiences. A decade or two ago, most people watched things from a smaller set of movies, TV shows, video games, etc.

Now there's so many different options, youtube, streaming services, indie games on steam, etc. that it's difficult to have that shared experience with your group of friends.

So what if there's a term for it, but what if there is a term for it, but since everyone has different experiences, fewer people have seen the term, and therefore, the term itself is a symptom of the problem it is referring to! *Brain blown* :pI've been thinking about that quite a bit lately too. With all of the good shows, movies, games coming out... I feel like I just don't have time for even the AAA titles.

dodint
July 5th, 2017, 10:48 AM

So what if there's a term for it, but what if there is a term for it, but since everyone has different experiences, fewer people have seen the term, and therefore, the term itself is a symptom of the problem it is referring to! *Brain blown* :p

Stratification?

Unless you're looking from an individual's perspective, then it's "silo'ing".

speedpimp
July 14th, 2017, 04:08 PM
One of the driver's who dared speak to USA Today about the working conditions experienced by port truck drivers has been fired from his job. (https://www.gobytrucknews.com/port-driver-fired/123)

Godson
July 15th, 2017, 05:39 PM
Just found out my good friend from elementary through highschool has had his colon cancer return after only a few months of being off of his last round of chemo. This time it has metastisized to each lung.

I don't know why it hits me so hard with him. I have many friends that have been diagnosed with cancer. This one just hits home way too hard. I just don't know why.

FUCK CANCER

Cam
July 16th, 2017, 04:05 AM
Sorry to hear. :(

Jason
July 16th, 2017, 05:54 AM
One of the driver's who dared speak to USA Today about the working conditions experienced by port truck drivers has been fired from his job. (https://www.gobytrucknews.com/port-driver-fired/123)

This is what happens when you speak out against the rich and powerful :|

George
July 16th, 2017, 09:31 AM
This is what happens when you speak out against the rich and powerful :|

I'm not disagreeing with you about the rich and powerful, but the article says, "he described driving up to 20 hours straight and keeping a fake log book so regulators wouldn’t know he was violating hours of service laws for commercial truckers."

If that's true, his employer had little choice except to fire him.

Drachen596
July 20th, 2017, 03:02 PM
Lead singer of Linkin Park was found dead by suicide today.

He was 41 years old.

sandydandy
July 21st, 2017, 04:43 AM
Terrible news. He was 41, which is my age. I'm not a huge Linkin Park fan, but I do like a couple of songs. My son (15) was quite upset. The lyrics to 'What I've Done' are a little more haunting today.

Cam
July 21st, 2017, 08:34 AM
While working in the yard the other day, I accidentally stood on an ant hill. I didn't notice until the little bastards were biting my ankle. Now I have numerous tiny welts. :down: I sprayed the nest with a generous amount of insecticide.

mk
July 21st, 2017, 11:35 AM
Dang, tried to insert an image, no luck.

(for opposite of Mo, they say, elsewhere)

speedpimp
July 21st, 2017, 02:38 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you about the rich and powerful, but the article says, "he described driving up to 20 hours straight and keeping a fake log book so regulators wouldn’t know he was violating hours of service laws for commercial truckers."

If that's true, his employer had little choice except to fire him.
Drivers using two and sometimes three logbooks was common practice for many years and the companies turned a blind eye to it, if not encouraging it outright. One logbook is enough to deal with, can't imagine what using two is like. Nowadays I don't even use a physical book, I use a phone app for logging called Keep Truckin'.

Freude am Fahren
July 21st, 2017, 05:15 PM
I think we've all read this story before, but here's it being told from the horse's mouth, making it even better. Skip to 56:00.

Or just note the time and watch the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wigZsFypdyI&ab_channel=LawrenceLivermoreNationalLaboratory

Drachen596
July 21st, 2017, 06:56 PM
Terrible news. He was 41, which is my age. I'm not a huge Linkin Park fan, but I do like a couple of songs. My son (15) was quite upset. The lyrics to 'What I've Done' are a little more haunting today.

I never really know how to feel when someone who seems to have it all commits suicide. What does that mean for the rest of the people who struggle to even get close to that?

dodint
July 21st, 2017, 07:37 PM
It means he lost touch with reality, completely ungrounded.

Dicknose
July 21st, 2017, 10:57 PM
It's rarely about "having it all".
With some of the high achiever types it is often an issue with their self image, no matter how successful they can feel inadequate or a fraud. Facts don't help, it's a mental issue. Similar to an eating disorder, your self image is way out from how others see you.
Combine with paranoid episodes, self harm and especially depression and it can all become a very dangerous mix.

sandydandy
July 23rd, 2017, 08:31 AM
I think in Bennington's case, it had more to do with the death of Chris Cornell a few months earlier. Apparently the two of them were very good friends, and he was still quite aggrieved. Might explain why he chose to end his life on Cornell's birthday.

FaultyMario
July 23rd, 2017, 11:09 AM
Or a broken heart.

Leon
July 23rd, 2017, 12:26 PM
the very creative are often (not always) also very self destructive. I don't say this as a criticism, but I do believe that the two traits can often be linked.

It's really all about inner demons, and often not linked at all to what we'd call apparent achievements in life.

Drachen596
July 23rd, 2017, 05:41 PM
All sorts of weird conspiracy shit now showing up about his and Cornells deaths.

Seem to be claiming they were going to expose some big sex trafficking thing and Bennington was Podestas bastard child.

All made up bullshit i am sure but whats the point?

sandydandy
July 24th, 2017, 06:46 AM
All made up bullshit i am sure but whats the point? In the end, it doesn't even matter. :|

21Kid
July 24th, 2017, 07:59 AM
too soon...

speedpimp
August 2nd, 2017, 02:20 PM
If you continue to ignore the elephant in the room eventually you will drown in elephant shit and get throat fucked by Dumbo.

MR2 Fan
August 3rd, 2017, 06:10 AM
A Thought: Elon Musk is more African American than most people who are called "African American"

speedpimp
August 3rd, 2017, 10:27 AM
Que?

Phil_SS
August 3rd, 2017, 10:29 AM
Elton Musk was born and raised in South Africa.

speedpimp
August 3rd, 2017, 10:46 AM
Oh. Always thought he was Russian.

mk
August 5th, 2017, 06:59 AM
Some tried to cook Mo.

They failed.

speedpimp
August 5th, 2017, 04:02 PM
I guess that sometimes we are unaware of the impression that the expression of our face gives to others. I was fueling my truck today and another truck had pulled in the next lane to fuel. He kept his engine running and when I was talking to the cashier inside I pretty much had to scream my company name when she asked for it. The driver of the other truck got out and walked past me and said "You look like a real tough guy." With my normal sarcasm I said "Yeah, I'm a real bad ass." Obviously this guy was all serious, all the time, couldn't read sarcasm or both. All he said was "Yeah, those are the first ones to fall. I stay ready." I heard some woman say "WHAT THE FUCK?" and I went on cleaning my windows. Apparently I had a shitty look on my face when he walked past. Punching/getting punched hurts and its not worth the bother. Not a fan of working six days a week. Just tired.

MR2 Fan
August 6th, 2017, 07:30 PM
So Facebook owns Instagram....and I have friends that post to both.

I have an instagram but never used it because FB has photo sharing...so why use Instagram at all? I guess I'm not cool enough to understand.

Kchrpm
August 6th, 2017, 08:35 PM
Because Instagram is more focused. It does fewer things, and does those things more efficiently than Facebook does. Instagram is slowly adding more features, but it's trying to do them in such a way that it remains an efficient way to see and share images above all else.

Yw-slayer
August 7th, 2017, 03:25 AM
Also instagram fitness models. I mean, that's what my friend told me, anyway.

sandydandy
August 7th, 2017, 06:25 AM
So Facebook owns Instagram....and I have friends that post to both.

I have an instagram but never used it because FB has photo sharing...so why use Instagram at all? I guess I'm not cool enough to understand. I've always wondered the same thing. I don't post many pictures anymore, so FB's photo sharing is more than adequate for me.

Sad, little man
August 7th, 2017, 07:17 AM
I've realized that ig has some interesting and neat mechanics related to it that are different from facebook, but it's mainly only of interest to someone who wants to share things publicly with a wide audience.

With fb, I have a page for the photos I take, but it's very hard to get any exposure to a public audience. You have to run paid ads for anyone to even know about your page.

But, for ig, you just put some hashtags on your photo, and somehow it gets blasted out to anyone interested in that hashtag. As soon as I post something, I see people I've never heard of or interacted with liking my photos, and occasionally even following me. It's cool. But, being that it's owned by Fuckerberg, I can only assume it will only be a matter of time before that ease of exposure is clamped down on more and more in favor of a monetized system.

mk
August 7th, 2017, 08:18 AM
I thought JoeW is a DB hickup.

Freude am Fahren
August 7th, 2017, 08:20 AM
I find the nice thing about instagram is that there's much less clutter. Not everyone and their mother is on it. Everything you post (nearly) has to have some kind of substance, since you need a picture. And you can just 'follow' rather than actually being 'friends' (I guess FB has this for some things though).

The key here is I don't have to wade through a thousand listicles, links and ads. FB is like 70% spam these days.

Kchrpm
August 7th, 2017, 09:32 AM
But, being that it's owned by Fuckerberg, I can only assume it will only be a matter of time before that ease of exposure is clamped down on more and more in favor of a monetized system.

I think the monetization system is just all the big, colorful, auto-loading ads. And posts can't have clickable links to anything unless they're a paid advertisement, so just showing up in someone's feed isn't enough to drive traffic off of IG.

Also instagram fitness models. I mean, that's what my friend told me, anyway.

That might have been me :D If not, I have the same advice.

TheBenior
August 8th, 2017, 06:07 PM
I found out last night that a guy I used to in the same shift and station with and his wife had twins; one was only a bit over 4 lbs and didn't make it. The other is doing well.

For the past few years, I've been giving out Jizo garden statues when things like this happen.

Cam
August 10th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Question posed today by Lori (We are in Europe.): "When the bombs start dropping, how do we get home?"

Me: "Uh... we don't, I guess." :|

tigeraid
August 10th, 2017, 10:37 AM

Godson
August 10th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Accurate.

Sad, little man
August 10th, 2017, 11:31 AM
A craigslist scammer just tried to buy a camera lens from me, sent me a fake paypal payment, and now wants to know when I will send the lens. What can I do to mess with them? If only sending dog turds through the mail were free.

Kchrpm
August 10th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Get a monocle from a costume shop, send it to him as the lens he paid for.

Leon
August 10th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Apparently I'm not allowed to be Facebook friends or chat to one of the collection of married mum's who I do a bunch of gym classes with.

Because her husband doesn't allow her to have male friends.

1890's much?

NB: I'm not that charming, and I've no intentions towards her.

21Kid
August 11th, 2017, 12:42 PM
One of my co-workers from years ago removed me recently from FB because her husband didn't like me being friends with her. O.o

Drachen596
August 11th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Is it wrong that those are the people I expect to see in the news as some sort of domestic abuse case in the future?

Alan P
August 11th, 2017, 01:29 PM
Apparently I'm not allowed to be Facebook friends or chat to one of the collection of married mum's who I do a bunch of gym classes with.

Because her husband doesn't allow her to have male friends.

1890's much?

NB: I'm not that charming, and I've no intentions towards her.

I'm surprised she's OK with this. Unless there's either previous history on her part or some major controlling going on.

Leon
August 11th, 2017, 03:06 PM
I'm staggered by this outcome, but from the words she used " Life is awkward for me like that. Thanks for understanding", and the she described her husband as jealous and possessive, suggests to me that it's definitely not the first time he has laid down the law.

Hardly know the woman, so I don't know if she has previously misbehaved/strayed in the relationship.

But to me, that sort of behaviour is a sign of a serious imbalance in the relationship. How bad, or screwed up it is, I don't know. The guy might just be an insecure dork, or it might be more serious.

Godson
August 11th, 2017, 03:10 PM
It's honestly lean towards the more negative than positive

Freude am Fahren
August 11th, 2017, 04:05 PM
One of my co-workers from years ago removed me recently from FB because her husband didn't like me being friends with her. O.o

Heh, something similar happened to me a couple years ago.

It was right after we slept together though... so I guess I get why she did it.

Drachen596
August 11th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Seems to me that the more insecure, jealous and possessive ones are the first to cheat on their significant other.

Leon
August 11th, 2017, 04:24 PM
Yeah, people tend to see their own weaknesses in others.

Godson
August 11th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Yeah, people tend to project their own weaknesses in others.

Fixed that for you.

Leon
August 11th, 2017, 04:44 PM
No argument here

Leon
August 11th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Also, for the record, my reply to her was
"Flashbacks to the 19th century. However, I don't want to cause trouble for you"

That's where the conversation started and ended. I'm not going to debate her life decisions, it's not my place to do so. I'm not going to get tied up in somebody else's complicated relationship, because that never ever ends well for the person who thinks they're being a white knight. Also I'm hardly going to outright say "your husband sounds like a cnut". Well ... not to her anyway, I've said things to that effect on chat to most of my friends though ;). My mum raised me as a feminist, so the way this guy deals with his wife rubs me up the wrong way, big time.

novicius
August 11th, 2017, 05:52 PM
The Billdong Effect. 8========D

JoshInKC
August 12th, 2017, 06:28 AM
One of my wife's co-workers asked her why she allowed me to be friends with women once. Her response was something along the lines of "He's a big boy and I trust him. Otherwise I wouldn't have married him in the first place." I feel the same way.

sandydandy
August 12th, 2017, 01:26 PM
I finally joined Instagram. It's not that exciting to be honest. :|

Kchrpm
August 13th, 2017, 06:24 AM
I finally joined Instagram. It's not that exciting to be honest. :|

You're not following enough fitness models.

21Kid
August 15th, 2017, 01:27 PM
The Billdong Effect. 8========DShe never even saw my dong. :eek:

Keith... Have any recommendations? ;)

sandydandy
August 15th, 2017, 02:25 PM
You're not following enough fitness models. Will get on that soon! :D

Kchrpm
August 15th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Keith... Have any recommendations? ;)

Depends what you're in to, but just search #fitness to start.

Kchrpm
August 15th, 2017, 05:59 PM
Actually that hashtag is relatively disappointing.

#squats is better

dodint
August 15th, 2017, 06:54 PM
You're some kind of savant.

George
August 16th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Some people have no situational awareness.

Example:

Just went in the mens room at work. Some dude was standing before the mirror combing his hair like Fonzie. Something was on the counter in front of him.

It's a small counter with two sinks close together, and one soap dispenser on the mirror between sinks. Typically there are small puddles of water on the counter as well - nothing disgusting, but water that has dripped from hands while reaching for the soap dispenser, the sink controls, and then more dripping as clean hands reach for the paper towels.

I heard the sink turning on, so I figured the guy was leaving. Nope, he left the sink area and came over to the business side of the bathroom.

Finished, I went to wash my hands and saw his lunch from a nearby eatery in a paper bag that was now now wet at the bottom sitting there against the soap dispenser. I had to push it out of the way with my unwashed hands to get the soap.

Who even brings his LUNCH into a PUBLIC BATHROOM in the first place, and then leaves it on the only counter - and a wet one, at that - while knowing there's a guy in there who will most likely want to wash his hands?

Very strange.

Yw-slayer
August 16th, 2017, 06:44 PM
#squats is better

Squats, Squats, Squats, Squats, Squats, Squats, EVERYBODY!!!!!

sandydandy
August 17th, 2017, 05:03 AM
Actually that hashtag is relatively disappointing.

#squats is better I'm partial to #cameltoe, actually.

Yw-slayer
August 17th, 2017, 06:15 AM
That's good too, but can be a bit predictable.

FaultyMario
August 17th, 2017, 07:51 AM
ini.helen

Leon
August 18th, 2017, 07:38 PM
I went on a coffee "date" with a girl today.

She has an S15 Silvia turbo manual, looks original.

Where's the line you draw before you say it's too early to do a marriage proposal?

Cam
August 18th, 2017, 09:28 PM

Sad, little man
September 1st, 2017, 06:22 AM
If you love "the fall," it's time to just admit that you're a sick fuck who's obsessed with tree deaths.

-Signed, someone who doesn't want summer to be over.

Cam
September 7th, 2017, 04:52 PM
I saw a woman in the grocery store with a "service dog." It was so obviously NOT a service dog that it was sad and aggravating.

Kchrpm
September 7th, 2017, 08:07 PM
A friend of mine had/has her dog certified as a service dog for anxiety issues. I don't know how/where she identifies it as such, other than taking it on flights with her.

dodint
September 8th, 2017, 06:19 AM
I don't fully comprehend the methodology with service dogs for anxiety. Dogs are great for that, in a dog friendly setting. But when you're inconveniencing everyone around you (at worst) or at least drawing full attention to yourself (at best) how the hell does that not ratchet up your anxiety levels? If I tried to take a dog on a plane I'd be self-conscious as hell.

Cam
September 8th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Lori boarded a commercial airline flight where one of the passengers had a "service dog." The dog bit one of the other passengers. The owner was asked to remove the dog from the plane. She refused. Her and the dog were forcibly removed from the plane by police.

drew
September 8th, 2017, 09:46 AM
Justice. :hard:

Kchrpm
September 8th, 2017, 01:02 PM
I don't fully comprehend the methodology with service dogs for anxiety. Dogs are great for that, in a dog friendly setting. But when you're inconveniencing everyone around you (at worst) or at least drawing full attention to yourself (at best) how the hell does that not ratchet up your anxiety levels? If I tried to take a dog on a plane I'd be self-conscious as hell.

My limited understanding is that it gives them something comforting and familiar to focus on, no matter what else is happening.

dodint
September 8th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Same can be done with inanimate objects.

Leon
September 8th, 2017, 08:08 PM
Stuffed dog.

That way you have dog, and it won't bite people.

Be a bit rough on the dog if it was alive to start with though.

Kchrpm
September 9th, 2017, 04:07 AM
Same can be done with inanimate objects.
Indeed. As someone that doesn't experience it, I can't accurately describe why there's an important difference, but I do believe there is one. People in general talk about all the positive reasons to have pets, I presume there's an overlap.

Mr Wonder
September 9th, 2017, 02:08 PM
A friend of a friend recently moved to the UK. Their dog skipped quarantine by being classed as an "emotional support animal". They are super wealthy and the dog is pretty awesome, has all its shots vaccinations, etc. and in no way a threat. But it was still bullshit of the highest order.

Cam
September 9th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Our wi-fi does not work in the back room because there is a brick wall between there and the router. First world problems.

speedpimp
September 9th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Step mom finally returned home after three years in a rehab facility. She suffered from SEVERE muscle atrophy and basically had to learn how to walk again. She tried coming home last August and was there for less than twenty hour hours. Hopefully she is home for good now. Pretty sure it's a relief to my dad, as he spent every night with her when she was either in the hospital or in the rehab facility, he never left her side.

Drachen596
September 10th, 2017, 01:43 PM
Shes Wonder Woman and not a princess needing rescue.

Can she borrow sone money though?

George
September 10th, 2017, 02:30 PM
My limited understanding is that it gives them something comforting and familiar to focus on, no matter what else is happening.

Like Smart Phones.

At traffic lights.

SportWagon
September 11th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Our wi-fi does not work in the back room because there is a brick wall between there and the router. First world problems.

Our brick is sufficiently fake that I can connect to WiFi in my driveway to upload my Strava. (Current primary recording device doesn't even have Mobile service, or even a SIM card). Or perhaps the signal gets through the glass windows, or something.

Or at least I used to do this. Perhaps I will again in the next couple of weeks. As weather gets colder it takes less time to get ready. It's much easier/faster to put on long tights than sunscreen.

George
September 12th, 2017, 12:31 PM
A popular restaurant just moved to a new location down the street from my office. I've read good reviews of that place, and noted a few folks praising their Philly CHEESEsteak sandwich (capitals mine for emphasis).

Today I walked over and ordered a Philly CHEESEsteak sandwich and brought it back to my office.

Yup. You guessed it.

No cheese. It was otherwise okay, but how does one forget to put the cheese on a CHEESEsteak sammich?

I'm reminded of those "You Had One Job" memes. :smh:

speedpimp
September 12th, 2017, 02:51 PM

Drachen596
September 12th, 2017, 02:57 PM
You were in Lagrange today?

speedpimp
September 12th, 2017, 03:25 PM
Yes. Was heading back from Fort Wayne.

MR2 Fan
September 15th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Chipotle has queso now....it's a crime against cheese...more like queasy than queso....don't try it.

speedpimp
September 15th, 2017, 04:24 PM
I used to love Chipotle but didn't care for the express train it took through my system. I've tried Qdoba and it's just as good but isn't in a rush to exit.

Drachen596
September 16th, 2017, 12:47 AM
There was a shooting here in town with one killed and one seriously injured.

99.99% sure the man killed was someone who worked at my warehouse. Working so many hours things are a bit blurry for me time wise but I saw him leaving after clocking out either Wednesday night or Thursday night.

I don't really know what happened as the news has been light on details.

drew
September 16th, 2017, 05:18 AM
[fucking double post]

drew
September 16th, 2017, 05:32 AM
It's so weird seeing pictures of my little pissant town on the internet.

I added notes...

George
September 20th, 2017, 08:29 AM
I'm toying with the idea of sending a witty "comeback" to a guy who keeps sending me work that must be done (I have no problem with that) and then proceeds to hound me with constant phone calls, emails, and Skype messages (I despise Skype in business) to find out why I haven't finished yet.

I have many people like him sending me stuff and I can't/won't drop everything to do what he wants every time. I think it's worth mentioning that he does not outrank me, nor is he in my chain of command.

I'm looking for something slyly sarcastic that isn't offensive or unprofessional and won't get forwarded to my boss or to Personnel with a complaint - something like "This is done, despite your constant pestering", without saying exactly that. I can't remember ever having someone hound me like this before, so I feel like a beginner in this area.

Anyone have any good ideas (besides the obvious "Don't do this - you will regret it")?

Thanks.

Cam
September 20th, 2017, 08:50 AM
"The amount of time it takes me to complete a task is directly proportional to how much you ask me about it."

?

FaultyMario
September 20th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Just phrase it in business-speak. :D

Leon
September 20th, 2017, 12:18 PM
Get somebody in your chain of command to tell him to fuck off, as they (the person in your chain of command) doesn't consider this side-task as being something you need to be doing.

George
September 20th, 2017, 12:32 PM
It's not a side-task. It's my job, and I don't mind doing it.

I just can't stand being asked for a "status update" every couple of hours.

First-world problems, indeed. I'll get over it, but this what is bothering me today. :)

Cam
September 20th, 2017, 01:07 PM
GET BACK TO WORK!

George
September 20th, 2017, 01:13 PM
Well played.

Alan P
September 20th, 2017, 02:55 PM
Constant interruptions delayed the resolution and completion of the assigned task(s), please find enclosed the completed tasks.

21Kid
September 20th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Auto filter ="status update" from "douchebag" = trash bin

Jason
September 20th, 2017, 03:53 PM
I'm toying with the idea of sending a witty "comeback" to a guy who keeps sending me work that must be done (I have no problem with that) and then proceeds to hound me with constant phone calls, emails, and Skype messages (I despise Skype in business) to find out why I haven't finished yet.

I have many people like him sending me stuff and I can't/won't drop everything to do what he wants every time. I think it's worth mentioning that he does not outrank me, nor is he in my chain of command.

I'm looking for something slyly sarcastic that isn't offensive or unprofessional and won't get forwarded to my boss or to Personnel with a complaint - something like "This is done, despite your constant pestering", without saying exactly that. I can't remember ever having someone hound me like this before, so I feel like a beginner in this area.

Anyone have any good ideas (besides the obvious "Don't do this - you will regret it")?

Thanks.

Holy shit, I hate this so much. I've gotten extremely short with some of the people up the food chain from me, they are starting to get the hint... miraculously I'm still employed (and I get good reviews). Most blunt I've gotten with them has been 'It's going well, but the more time I spend answering questions, the longer it'll take', which usually shuts them up.

drew
September 21st, 2017, 12:42 AM
Micro-management. The most frustrating thing every.

I don't play well with that. I know what the fuck I'm doing, so just let me fucking do it.

Leon
September 21st, 2017, 01:04 AM
Totally agree.

Give me task.

Leave me the hell alone.

Drachen596
September 21st, 2017, 03:58 AM
Our GM does that. To add to it hes a dick about it.

He has some sort of hate for night ahift as well. Blames us whenever days blows the lead and puts us behind. Doesn't help that day shift lies about work left for the day.

Leon
September 21st, 2017, 11:27 AM
A couple of jobs back I was in a team of four people, I was the most junior / inexperienced member of the team with "only" five years in the role (the other team members had been there between 10 and 24 years). We all knew what we were doing, were hitting all the targets etc.

Due to a restructure they put us under a micro managing team leader who worked at an office two hours drive away, who lead a team of people doing a completely different job / role to what we did.

She was trying to figure out what we did (and make us do it "better"), so she spent a day literally sitting behind me with a stopwatch. I spent the day utterly boring her to death with ridiculous minutiae of submodels of Corvettes / Camaro's / Mustangs etc (part of my job was processing the permits required to import / drive a left hand drive car in a right hand drive country). She lasted until lunchtime before she lapsed into a coma, and then left me alone. Seemed a suitable revenge upon somebody who was trying to micro manage me from a range of two hours drive away :)

Cam
September 21st, 2017, 11:37 AM

Leon
September 21st, 2017, 10:04 PM
Oh yeah, and then I left that job :)

Turned out I left it to go to a job that was totally not good either ... but that was a few jobs ago, so that's water under the bridge.

Hint: if you really don't drink much, don't work at a place where their idea of a fun day was to start drinking at noon, and stop when the city runs out of alcohol.

Drachen596
September 28th, 2017, 04:39 AM
Lift driver had a seizure on Monday. hit a guard rail, bathroom door, drinking fountain, and a set of movable stairs. He nearly hit another lift driver who was exiting the bathroom.

he's laying on the stretcher with EMTs around him and a few first responder trained coworkers. our GM drives up, gets off his golf cart and walks PAST all these people to the damaged property and asks 'what are we going to do about this?' meaning the damage to the building.

I've known for a while that this GM is toxic and doesn't view employees as anything but expendable workers but god damn does this prove it. ALL the LTOs are now dragging ass putting us behind on basically everything which in turn makes this GM look bad to corporate. I've also been told that nearly every LTO on day shift called our NEAR/HR line on him as a result of this.

He tried to give the LTO who was the first person over there(and first responder trained) five bucks to the vending machines as a thank you. LTO threw it back in his face stating "that mans life is worth more than five dollars." the LTO who had the seizure is as far as i know currently in a drug induced coma.

novicius
September 28th, 2017, 04:47 AM
What an asshole. :smh:

Drachen596
September 28th, 2017, 04:55 AM
its also our second OSHA recordable in like 3 days.
Which is probably what he is more concerned about. probably puts his yearly bonus in jeopardy.

wish he'd take his stupid self back to California and stay there. We've done nothing but go down hill under his so called leadership.

MR2 Fan
September 28th, 2017, 07:00 AM
sounds like a face punchable offense to me

21Kid
September 28th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Wow. What a jerkhole!!!
:mad:

Sad, little man
October 2nd, 2017, 06:23 AM
It makes me chuckle when someone is trying to make some event seem momentous or important, so they specify the time with "EST" (eastern standard time) at the end, but it's during the summer, so it should really be EDT (eastern daylight time), so they just look like an idiot.

sandydandy
October 4th, 2017, 05:59 PM
My grandma passed away on Sunday, today was her funeral. She was 93 and died in her sleep of natural causes.

My grandpa died almost two years ago, I think I shared the story on here back then. She was widowed and spent the last two years bouncing around my aunt’s house and my mom’s house. Then my mom broke her arm over the summer and couldn’t take care of her anymore, so she stayed permanently at my aunt’s. She started getting really frail over the last two months, as she’d pretty much stopped eating and her organs began failing. Her oldest son also lives in Toronto, and he didn’t give a rat’s ass. Too busy squabbling over her money, as if she had a multi-million dollar estate or something. The POS, (and his POS family), didn’t even show up to her funeral.

Anyway, last week she had a UTI and was admitted to the hospital. My sister told me that she kept asking if every guy that walked into the room was me...I knew right then and there that I had to see her. I grabbed the family and we went and visited her. She was responsive, but somehow I knew just by looking at her condition that the end was near. I was really close to her, (and my grandpa), in my childhood years, and she was adored by my wife and kids too.

She was released a couple of days later, and passed away at home Sunday evening, which happened to fall on my sister’s birthday. Funeral was today, which happens to be on my birthday. I took my birthday details off of Facebook a couple of days ago, as I knew I wouldn’t be in the mood to read birthday greetings today.

The funeral was pretty decent, but I couldn’t get over how different she looked after the embalming. Like a totally different person. It almost felt like I was at someone else’s grandma’s funeral. Because she had gotten so frail in recent months, the flesh in her face kind of dissipated, and the skin receded to the point where it looked like she had an abnormally large chin. I guess much work had to be done to restore as much of her facial features as possible to make her presentable, but in doing so, they made her look like a totally different person. Almost unrecognizable. I had to keep reminding myself that it was indeed the same person in the casket.

Anyway with her passing, all four of my grandparents are now gone. :(. Oh well it’s a part of life, as we all know. Life goes on. Ultimately, we’re all headed there. All roads lead to the box. Just gotta make the most of it until we get there. Live life to the fullest.

Cam
October 4th, 2017, 07:34 PM
Sorry for your loss. :(

I never really knew my grand-parents. We did not live near them and they all passed of old age when I was still quite young.

dodint
October 4th, 2017, 08:05 PM
Sorry mate. I was close to mine too, it's been four years now and I still miss her.

Yw-slayer
October 5th, 2017, 01:28 AM
Sorry to hear it, mate.

sandydandy
October 5th, 2017, 05:01 AM
Thanks guys. Yesterday was a little tough, but today’s a new day and I feel a bit better. Ready to resume with life.

George
October 5th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Sorry for your loss, Sandy. You were lucky to have known her for so long. :up:

Godson
October 5th, 2017, 01:00 PM
Sorry to hear about this Sandeep. My last remaining grandparent, maternal grandfather, passed away just over a year and a half ago. Still think about him regularly.

He was 85, acquired pneumonia while dealing with COPD and other comorbidities. He refused his breathing treatments and asked about hospice. I'm not in the last bit upset about it either.

If ya want to talk, you know how to reach me.

sandydandy
October 5th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Sorry for your loss, Sandy. You were lucky to have known her for so long. :up: Thanks. Yeah I first knew her in 1981, that was when her and my grandpa came to Canada. Fell in love with them both. Will never forget either of them.

Sorry to hear about this Sandeep. My last remaining grandparent, maternal grandfather, passed away just over a year and a half ago. Still think about him regularly.

He was 85, acquired pneumonia while dealing with COPD and other comorbidities. He refused his breathing treatments and asked about hospice. I'm not in the last bit upset about it either. Thanks man. Sorry about your grandpa. Sounds like he lived a good long life, just like my grandma. We can only hope to achieve that.

If ya want to talk, you know how to reach me. I’ll be okay. (Not that I don’t want to talk to you...I supposed we could always exchange notes lamenting about our baseball teams and their shoddy performances this year. :mad:)

novicius
October 6th, 2017, 05:20 AM
Shit, I still talk to my grandpa every day and he's been dead for years and years! :lol: <3

The funeral was pretty decent, but I couldn’t get over how different she looked after the embalming. Like a totally different person. It almost felt like I was at someone else’s grandma’s funeral.
Yep after my grandfather's funeral I don't even bother looking in the casket. The morticians never get their look right so why bother saving that memory? :(

21Kid
October 6th, 2017, 12:03 PM
Sorry Sandy.
My maternal grandma is the only one I have left. She took me in after my mom moved out to the farm. I had been living with my alcoholic dad and started failing at school. She took me in and help straighten me out. I will always be in her debt. I don't know where I'd be without her.
I was close to my maternal grandpa too. We were always really close. He passed away 24 years ago.

My fraternal grandparents have been gone a long time. I never med my Dad's dad. And his mom died when I was in grade school. I think I was 6 or 7. I barely remember her.

dodint
October 6th, 2017, 12:10 PM
My paternal grandfather died when I was about 10 years old. I'll never forget it as it was the only time I've ever seen my Dad cry; when he told me that he was terminally ill. It was right after we moved back from my Dad being in the Marines, we'd only been home to PA for a few months at that time. They'd been apart for 15 years or so and he passed right when we made it back.

Didn't realize till just now but Ash and I did the same thing. I got out of the military, found good work, and moved back to PA when I could. Her father died a few months later.

Fuck me, man. It's crazy how we follow in our parents footsteps.

21Kid
October 6th, 2017, 01:31 PM
not all of us. :\

Alan P
October 7th, 2017, 02:16 PM
I never met either of my Grandfathers, both died before I was born. You can't miss what you don't know, but sometimes I wonder what it would have been like. I asked my grandmother about twenty years ago what he was like and I honestly can't remember what she said. :(

She passed five or six years ago having reached 102! It had been a very long time between my last seeing her and us all going over for her 100th, probably seven or eight years easily and by then she was in full Dementia swing and didn't really know who anyone was and, in all honesty was rather overwhelmed with so many of us. Every daughter, son, grand daughter and grandson was there so there was 15 of us and it got a bit much. I knew I had to be there but in some ways I didn't want to see how far she'd gone from us. :(

My other grandmother died when I was quite young and she also got quite old. I remember her house as it wasn't far from my Aunt's but I don't remember much about her. I guess when you're 7 or 8 you don't really care about old people do you?

I even remember the visits to my great grandmother's in Ireland when we went to visit. It was an easy 40 minute drive over the mountains and I used to get very bored and very car sick. She died when I must have been 5, maybe 6 years old. I don't remember much about her either. :(

My condolences for your loss Sandy, and please don't stop celebrating your birthday, or your Sister hers. By all means have a moment and a toast, but I'm sure they wouldn't want you to stop celebrating. Also, Happy Birthday.

sandydandy
October 8th, 2017, 06:32 PM
Thanks Alan.

2ndMoparMan
October 8th, 2017, 06:47 PM
Quit my job of 19 years about two weeks ago and started at the new Amazon warehouse in Jefferson. About the same drive distance, and a lot better pay and benefits, plus I'm not having to worry that Amazon will go under in six months. I also found out today from my former boss who I'm pretty good friends with that our store manager quit on Thursday even after being offered a promotion by the district manager. According to my boss, her words were "I don't trust Eddie Lampert". I find that very, very funny. You know a company is in trouble when something like that happens.

MR2 Fan
October 8th, 2017, 07:46 PM
I quit a job once...partially because I was really unhappy working there, and partially because 4 people quit within a month...which wouldn't have been so bad except we only had 8 people working there to begin with!

21Kid
October 9th, 2017, 01:19 PM
It's pretty sad how badly Sears has been destroyed.

2ndMoparMan
October 9th, 2017, 05:40 PM
Yeah, been a lot of mistakes, but I think the biggest miss they had was missing the rise of WalMart and now Amazon. No one wants to work there anymore.

21Kid
October 9th, 2017, 09:49 PM
From what I have read, a lot of it is due to cannibalism. They have made the departments fight each other for advertising, sales, etc...

Besides the online pressure.

tigeraid
October 10th, 2017, 09:11 AM
I'm an uncle! Sister just gave birth to a 6.something lb baby boy. :rawk:

She also named him Richard, after the grandfather I've talked a lot about. Very appropriate.

(And also, people might stfu about me having a kid, finally.)

MR2 Fan
October 10th, 2017, 09:22 AM
I'm an uncle! Sister just gave birth to a 6.something lb baby boy. :rawk:

She also named him Richard, after the grandfather I've talked a lot about. Very appropriate.

(And also, people might stfu about me having a kid, finally.)

:up:

Somehow I've been lucky, none of my relatives ever bothered me about getting married or having kids, which I'm very thankful for.

sandydandy
October 10th, 2017, 05:23 PM
Congrats, Tiger.

I just made a fool of myself at Walmart. I went there to buy a computer, (don’t laugh), and found a nice Acer desktop and monitor. Upon being cashed out, the girl told me there were environmental fees for the electronics - $1.40 for the computer and $7.00 for the monitor. She uttered it as “one forty and seven”, which I interpreted as $140 and $7. I was completely flabbergasted, and told her, with much disgust in my voice, to cancel it. Cancelling the transaction required the presence of a manager, which caused a delay in the line, and an inaudible groan from the guy behind me, coupled with a funny look. I had some gum and bagels in the cart as well, and paid for those. As I walked away I looked at the receipt, which showed the reversed charges, and instantly felt like the cheapest fucker on the planet. Making a fuss over $1.40. I went back to the cashier and explained my misunderstanding, and while she didn’t appear to be amused, (probably tired), she cashed me out without issue.

I now have a new computer.

21Kid
October 11th, 2017, 07:01 AM
That's on her. I would have thought the same thing.

I used to hate that when I worked in a phone center. When people would rattle off numbers individually with the hundred, tens, and ones separately.

I also used to type too fast when someone was saying eighty (80) eight (8) or something. Always typing the 80 before waiting to see if there was a second number.

Since then I've starting saying each number on it's own when reading it off to people. eight, eight, seven, four.

dodint
October 11th, 2017, 07:15 AM
That was my job in the military. Sending/receiving grid coordinates over the radio for where to drop bombs. Don't fuck up. ;)

Godson
October 12th, 2017, 06:13 AM
Congrats tiger. I have a buddy whose mother is constantly harassing him to get married and have a kid. It happens so much It pisses me off.

Luckily, my parents aren't in a rush.

George
October 12th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Since then I've starting saying each number on it's own when reading it off to people. eight, eight, seven, four.

I've noticed cashiers doing this lately when announcing the price and counting back change. Most who I've noticed doing this don't appear to be native English speakers. That's not a judgement, just an observation. It's probably safer to speak each number separately when learning the language, such as "three four three" for $3.43.

I discuss dollar amounts on the phone at work occasionally and I generally pronounce numbers as I was taught in school. $7403.07 would be "seven thousand, four hundred three dollars and seven cents." I notice a zero in the tens column (or higher) can cause confusion, such as in the example below of "four hundred three dollars". Sometimes people will say, "could you please repeat that?" if it's a number like $7403 or $10,085 ("ten thousand, eighty-five dollars").

Oh, and you Brits who say things like "double-two, triple-eight five" need to stop this practice immediately. :lol:

Leon
October 12th, 2017, 10:39 AM
My family gave up on the marriage / kids thing when I consistently didn't date for my entire 20's :)

MR2 Fan
October 13th, 2017, 01:28 PM
It is a sad day for penguin and anime lovers in Japan.....Grape-kun has passed

https://en.rocketnews24.com/2017/10/13/japans-anime-loving-penguin-grape-kun-passes-away-at-tobu-zoo/

Drachen596
October 14th, 2017, 01:29 AM
Week 8 of overtime. 7 days every week but one. Its getting to me and thankfully the guy who was chosen for the other half of the week is learning quickly.

I will still have probably 2 more weeks training him at least. Then to train a second person as a back up if one of us calls off sick.

Light at the end of the tunnel. As of now it doesnt seem like its a train but with the management where I work that is still a possibility.

Biggest positive is 7 day checks are close in gross to my normal monthly net take home. Retirement fund is bumped to take advantage and get full company match.

MR2 Fan
October 17th, 2017, 12:06 AM
working on my huge (TOP SECRET for a few more weeks) 3D printer project...I decided to finally get the Adobe CC suite for $50 a month...20+ programs including Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator....etc.

Honestly I've practically never used any of these before (I have an old Paint Shop Pro which has served me well for a LONG time), and finding out how powerful After Effects is specifically, it's a lot of fun...just need my computer to keep up...will probably be upgrading in a few weeks.

Sad, little man
October 18th, 2017, 06:10 AM
I've realized that what I'm trying to do is create an instagram that has something for everyone but everything for no one. This may be a metaphor for my life, maybe.

speedpimp
October 20th, 2017, 04:15 PM
Fuck chefs.

MR2 Fan
October 25th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Robert Guillaume has passed away.

Among other things, he was on the TV show "Sports Night"...of all shows I wish they would reboot, Sports Night should be one of them. It would be especially relevant right now with all of the various societal things happening related to sports.

dodint
October 25th, 2017, 11:12 AM
The Newsroom is as close as you'll get. I loved Sports Night, still the series on DVD.

Drachen596
October 29th, 2017, 05:47 PM
Really tired of Indianas dumbass liqour laws.
I should be able to buy booze 7 days a week 24 hours a day.

They are once again talking about changing it but wont because the liqour groups oppose grocery stores and gas stations selling cold beer and apparently they own enough politicians in the state to keep it that way.

speedpimp
October 31st, 2017, 07:32 AM
Total bullshit law. They are allowed to sell cold hard cider, which makes no fucking sense. Every convenience store I go into in Michigan sells cold beer. It might have something to do with numbing the pain of living there.

JoshInKC
October 31st, 2017, 01:35 PM
Laws like that are nuts and probably get at least a few people killed. I went to high school in a town where the liquor stores closed at 10 pm by law. A mere 15 minutes away was a small town with a liquor store that was open until 10:30 on fridays and saturdays. This situation led to A LOT of panicked, speeding, (possibly slightly inebriated) drives down twisty roads at 5 after 10.

MR2 Fan
October 31st, 2017, 01:40 PM
this might go more into politics, but I do wonder how many other countries have as much discrepancy as the U.S. when it comes to laws in different territories the way we have state laws. Seems like a lot of them are just not something that should be up to individual states, but that's been the fight since the U.S. began.

Cam
October 31st, 2017, 01:52 PM
Can't buy hard alcohol after 7:00 pm here. Silly.

Random
October 31st, 2017, 02:29 PM
this might go more into politics, but I do wonder how many other countries have as much discrepancy as the U.S. when it comes to laws in different territories the way we have state laws. Seems like a lot of them are just not something that should be up to individual states, but that's been the fight since the U.S. began.

Switzerland had strong states (cantons) and a relatively weak federal government when I lived there. May have changed some in the intervening years.

Example: in 1971 (!) women were given the right to vote in Swiss Federal elections. Not until 1991 (!!!) were they given the right to vote in local elections in one of the cantons.

The Swiss Federal Constitution (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Federal_Constitution) declares the cantons to be sovereign to the extent that their sovereignty is not limited by federal law.[10] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantons_of_Switzerland#cite_note-HDS_Modern-10)The cantons also retain all powers and competencies not delegated to the Confederation by the Constitution. Most significantly, the cantons are responsible for healthcare (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care), welfare (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_(financial_aid)), law enforcement and public education (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_education); they also retain the power of taxation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax). The cantonal constitutions determine the degree of autonomy accorded to the municipalities (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipalities_of_Switzerland), which varies but almost always includes the power to levy taxes and pass municipal laws.

TheBenior
October 31st, 2017, 04:16 PM
Relaxed Blue Laws are one area where Illinois is better than a lot of other states. AFAIK, it doesn't have any restrictions on hours on a state basis, though most municipalities have time restrictions. Nor are there any restrictions on what private entities (no state run stores here) can sell beer/wine vs liquor so long as they have a liquor license.

In Chicago, hours wise, it's 7 am til 2 am Monday-Friday, 7 am til 3 am Saturdays, and Sunday is 11 am (10 am in restaurants) til 2 am. Late night license extends the closing hours by 2 hours. These hours vary by municipality, but they're generally within an hour of Chicago's time's on either end.

Alan P
October 31st, 2017, 06:35 PM
Scottish licensing law says no Alcohol of any sort can be bought between 10am and 10pm from any shop or supermarket, even a big supermarket.

Freude am Fahren
October 31st, 2017, 08:08 PM
You still can't buy 40's in Florida.

We have a stupid law that restricts alcohol sales to 32 oz or less, or 128 oz or more.

Nothing in between, except Growlers, as of 2015.

When craft breweries started popping up everywhere, they got the law changed to allow them to sell Growlers (64 oz).

But still no 40's.

Made playing Edward Fortyhands easier in High School.

I mean college... yeah

mk
November 1st, 2017, 03:20 AM
Around here it's 9 to 9 for stuff with packages and up to 4,7%.
Nuance is that if you grab your can before time you can pay it later.
Higher % is closing at 8, earlier at weekends and mostly from state owned stores.

Exception, farm shops.
Up to 13%, 100k litre/year and so on.
Some stronger samples can be tasted, strictly on site.

Serving is 4am tops, no idea what is the rule.
Terrace license includes a map where service is allowed, nowadays possibly just "inside the fence."
Pretty sure a city pub has been without a fence but I bet then chairs are counted, if not something more limiting, and standing between chairs with a beer is a big no no for sure.

MR2 Fan
November 2nd, 2017, 02:17 PM
'MURICA

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/man-pulls-gun-in-mcdonalds-drive-thru-when-he-cant-get-a-mcmuffin/ar-AAum2hj

Cam
November 3rd, 2017, 07:47 PM
When I walk my dog past a house with a barky dog that I know never gets walked, I wonder if they are pleading with me to bust them out of their prison.

TheBenior
November 4th, 2017, 03:06 AM
I figure they're telling my dog, "HEY! OTHER DOG! HEY! OTHER DOG! FUCK YOU!"

Godson
November 5th, 2017, 01:55 AM
So twice in the last two weeks, one of my neighbors has parked in front of my driveway.

When I say in front of my driveway, the back tire is literally touching the edge of my concrete kickout for the driveway. This means the back half of the car is in the right third of my driveway, making entrance and exit nearly impossible.

I snapped today and left a message, "block my driveway again and I tow your car."

Normally, I would try to be polite and all, but if I'm on call and dumbass blocks my driveway, I'd be going through the fucker.

Anyone think I'm overreacting?

I have photos.

2ndMoparMan
November 5th, 2017, 01:46 AM
I have a co worker. That. Won't. Shut. Up. And when he does talk, he stops working. I was at my wit's end at the end of my shift tonight. I just wanted to say to him "Up the shut fuck", but somehow I don't think that would've gone over well when I'm only a month into my new job.

Yw-slayer
November 5th, 2017, 03:38 AM
So twice in the last two weeks, one of my neighbors has parked in front of my driveway.

When I say in front of my driveway, the back tire is literally touching the edge of my concrete kickout for the driveway. This means the back half of the car is in the right third of my driveway, making entrance and exit nearly impossible.

I snapped today and left a message, "block my driveway again and I tow your car."

Normally, I would try to be polite and all, but if I'm on call and dumbass blocks my driveway, I'd be going through the fucker.

Anyone think I'm overreacting?

I have photos.

I'd probably have been slightly more polite in the note, but yeah, I would also have left him a note.

speedpimp
November 7th, 2017, 01:17 PM
It's funny how you can go from drinking every weekend to nothing at all for three years to drinking every holiday weekend to drinking every weekend to drinking every day off. Not to the point of ruination but to the point of being able to feel something because you can't feel anything. Work, while not bad, is becoming a shit show. I heard that one driver was leaving and it made me take pause, then I heard another might be leaving and it really made me go 'WTF?". Put in for a position with another company that would mean driving a semi for the first time in almost twenty years. The owners/bosses at my current employer are in their 60s/70s. Granted their grandfather(the starter of the company) lived to 114 yrs old(he passed away four years ago), I am nearing 50 yrs old(kiss my fucking ass) and I do not see a good ending to where I am currently at.
I have been a part of this community and its various guises since Apr '00.
I don't quit a job without having something else lined up, but if I do have something lined up, you'll be lucky if you get a day's notice, let alone two weeks.

novicius
November 7th, 2017, 03:24 PM
That sounds super-onerous, Rich. Hope it all works out!! :toast:

speedpimp
November 7th, 2017, 10:15 PM
/me Googles onerous.

Only slightly burdensome. I don't know if it's a "midlife crisis" or what, but I've been finding myself becoming bored very easily. You can only play so many video games.

mk
November 8th, 2017, 02:28 AM
Darkness -> stargazing

novicius
November 8th, 2017, 04:37 AM
Only slightly burdensome. I don't know if it's a "midlife crisis" or what, but I've been finding myself becoming bored very easily.
Maybe instead of Consuming you should start Creating?

Write some books (https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/), you've got both a rich (heh) live experience and a good voice in print that reads well. :up: :up:

George
November 8th, 2017, 08:18 AM
I think John Mellencamp said it pretty well, but it took me a long time to understand what he was talking about.

Life goes on
long after the thrill
of living is gone

MR2 Fan
November 13th, 2017, 04:31 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/11/13/new-guidelines-say-you-might-have-high-bloodmany-more-americans-need-lower-blood-pressure-doctors-sa/857914001/

You get high blood pressure! and YOU get high blood pressure, everyone gets high blood pressure!!

https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Oprah-You-Get-A.jpg

MR2 Fan
November 15th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Former IGN staffer accuses another former IGN staffer of harassment/misconduct...IGN has a meeting about it and employees walk out

https://kotaku.com/ign-employees-walk-out-after-former-employees-sexual-ha-1820409833

So far, this case seems to be very tame compared to most of them out there...unless there's more details we just don't know yet.

George
November 15th, 2017, 02:46 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/11/13/new-guidelines-say-you-might-have-high-bloodmany-more-americans-need-lower-blood-pressure-doctors-sa/857914001/

You get high blood pressure! and YOU get high blood pressure, everyone gets high blood pressure!!

https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Oprah-You-Get-A.jpg

I imagine that's the same happy dance that high blood pressure drug company executives are doing now.

FaultyMario
November 16th, 2017, 06:22 AM
Was it always obvious that Dolores O'Riordan would age to become someone's annoying mom?