PDA

View Full Version : This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Drachen596
March 4th, 2015, 11:50 PM
Why is it the people causing the issues at work that piss me off always feel the need to ask me what i am mad about?

incidentally, the one today cost a truck driver over 4 hours of his work day. I'm actually STILL a little pissed off and its now been about 10 hours since it happened and 6 hours since i got off work.

Sad, little man
March 5th, 2015, 02:07 AM
Are you looking for a new job? If not, why not?

speedpimp
March 5th, 2015, 04:22 PM
That driver needs to push his company to charge your company for detention pay.

Drachen596
March 5th, 2015, 05:16 PM
he does and i hope they do. the really crappy part is we are not permitted to sign ANY form of detention pay form even when drivers ask.

the person who checked the guy in for the load is a new person who screwed up the check in process hugely, didn't use the right trailer codes, didn't link the trailer to the order. the second one who screwed up and didn't say anything the first time the guy called is also a newish person, though not so new that she shouldn't have known to ask me about it.

i sent a really pissed off email(no swearing..) to every supervisor, clerk and tasker at our site about it and then forwarded it on to the person training and my supervisor again to add the information about the phone calls.

Sad, little man
March 6th, 2015, 03:13 PM
I'm flowing through sociological orbits that I feel privileged yet under-qualified to be inhabiting.

MR2 Fan
March 7th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Boko Haram pledges allegiance with ISIS....I'm completely shocked at this unexpected development :rolleyes:

Sad, little man
March 7th, 2015, 09:29 PM
Went to a punk show in Detroit, didn't see the lead guy for the one band I knew of. But, the girl in the band that was setting up wasn't too bad looking... Immediately realized when they began playing that she was the lead guy I was thinking of.

Oh my... :o

FaultyMario
March 7th, 2015, 09:33 PM
Did you give her a ride in the miata?

Sad, little man
March 8th, 2015, 07:32 AM
These are not generally individuals that would be interested in Miatas or... You know, nearly all material objects.

Sad, little man
March 8th, 2015, 07:33 AM
The irony of Acura using the song "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" in their ad is pure hilarity and irony.

speedpimp
March 8th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Perfect hipster campaign then?

JoshInKC
March 8th, 2015, 09:51 AM
These are not generally individuals that would be interested in Miatas or... You know, nearly all material objects.

Monks/nuns?

Sad, little man
March 8th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Um, yeah, we'll call them that.

Rich... It's not the hipster kind of irony.

speedpimp
March 8th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Which makes even more hipstery.

Sad, little man
March 8th, 2015, 09:58 AM
No, it's an Acura.

Alan P
March 8th, 2015, 01:45 PM
When you normally start work at 1pm, a 6AM start is a BIG DEAL. WTF were they thinking??

thesameguy
March 9th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Is disliking hipsters being a hipster? Is it an infinite hipster loop?

Kchrpm
March 9th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Yes, no, maybe.

Fast As Possible
March 9th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Is sand called sand because it's between the sea and the land?

overpowered
March 11th, 2015, 09:10 PM
The Carl's Jr. "all natural burger" is awful.

speedpimp
March 13th, 2015, 12:17 PM
What's wrong with it? No taste or flavor?

overpowered
March 13th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Weak gamey flavor. Tastes close to what I expect the paper bag it came in tastes like.

speedpimp
March 13th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Blech.

sandydandy
March 15th, 2015, 03:45 PM
I bumped into Bret 'The Hitman' Hart last night. I was standing outside a lounge downtown talking to some people, and one guy pointed him out walking down the sidewalk toward us. He was with a couple of his buddies. I went up to him and shook his hand. He was very friendly and we chatted very briefly. I didn't think to take a picture with him at the time. Should've done that, but I was too busy being on cloud nine. Oh well.

Kchrpm
March 15th, 2015, 03:51 PM
I feel like someone on my Facebook or Instagram said nearly the same thing yesterday.

sandydandy
March 15th, 2015, 03:56 PM
I wonder who it was...

Kchrpm
March 15th, 2015, 04:10 PM
*checks* oh, it was you, duh :)

Freude am Fahren
March 16th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Jordana Brewster is going to be at my station tomorrow...

thesameguy
March 16th, 2015, 02:32 PM
You mean like where you work or where you pee? Because I call my wiener a station. Like, "Get to your station, woman!"

Freude am Fahren
March 16th, 2015, 03:41 PM
It's the TV station where I work. If she ends up at the latter, don't expect to hear from me again.

Cam
March 16th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Lori and I briefly chatted with this lady at Atlanta airport while waiting for our flight to London: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriella_Wilde

Godson
March 16th, 2015, 06:12 PM
I love Jordana Brewster.

Leon
March 16th, 2015, 08:56 PM
I didn't meet in person, but had a good chat on the phone to Chris Amon (F1 driver) when he was looking to get a rally licence.

Nice bloke.

I was suitably awestruck and nervous.

Drachen596
March 16th, 2015, 11:55 PM
Felt extremely aimless and almost lost at work tonight.
Strong urge to just get in/on some mode of transportation and just disappear for a month or two to no where in particular. Just go hop on a highway or something and go.

Really wish I could.

Sad, little man
March 17th, 2015, 02:16 AM
Look for a new job! Seriously, it's cleat that one is making you miserable.

Drachen596
March 17th, 2015, 08:45 AM
I have been.

I think I am going to need to go to school before I qualify for much more than what I have now though.

Freude am Fahren
March 17th, 2015, 11:18 AM
She was in and out before I got back from lunch :(

thesameguy
March 17th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Why in God's name did you go out to lunch? Of all days!

21Kid
March 20th, 2015, 08:54 AM
I have been.

I think I am going to need to go to school before I qualify for much more than what I have now though.

Same (or close) pay with better conditions could feel like a huge bonus though.

Drachen596
March 20th, 2015, 04:45 PM
for some reason conditions where i'm at are ridiculously variable even though i work with the same people every day. this week for instance was fine, no real additional drama other than some screw ups like loading something onto the wrong companies trailer. hell even that fix went way smoother than it had any right to. there was only one point this week when I got really stressed out and it ended up with me telling the other three people in the building to shut the fuck up.

i've realized that at least a small part of the issue is that at prior jobs i either didn't work with any women at all or at places i did work with them there wasn't much interaction except for during breaks. constantly being around women who when things slow down suddenly start blabbering away about their relationships and kids when I'm very very much not used to it causes issues for me.

i suspect most of my work issues are really MY issues and something i need to sort out. i don't do super well with social interactions even at the best of times.

Cam
March 20th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Eighteen-year-old USC student died in a fraternity house a couple of days ago. Cause of death is unknown at this time.

overpowered
March 21st, 2015, 07:44 PM
This is one of the reasons why so much crap gets installed on most people's computers even though they don't want it:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/03/mris-show-our-brains-shutting-down-when-we-see-security-prompts/

Kchrpm
March 22nd, 2015, 04:18 AM
I was having an AWESOME dream, which I woke up from...in a different dream. I don't even know how to fall back into a dream, I have no chance of falling back into a dream inside a dream.

Sad, little man
March 22nd, 2015, 06:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMOYGCbNxpk

Drachen596
March 22nd, 2015, 06:28 PM
Tomorrow starts 10 days of work for me. i plan on getting 84 hours in the next 7 days.

the other person doing my job on the back half of the week at night is apparently going to move to days. unsure when though selfishly i'm hoping soon so i can get a bunch of overtime. overtime checks mean lots of cash to store in my bank account.

Kchrpm
March 24th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Lesson learned from Penn Jillette: if you're on a reality show and don't want a scene to air, start singing Happy Birthday or Hey Jude. They'll cut out the scene just so they don't have to pay music royalties.

thesameguy
March 24th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Holy amazing. That's a great concept!

I am going to add singing these songs to my Stand in Traffic weekends to totally mess everything up.

MR2 Fan
March 24th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Apparently my thoughts about Elon Musk looking like a bond villain aren't my own.

From Elon's twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/579207936620138496/o1LpNXMK.jpg

Godson
March 24th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Elton is fucking hysterical

Sad, little man
March 24th, 2015, 05:17 PM
:?

http://www.thatericalper.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Elton-John-shoot-portrait-008.jpg

speedpimp
March 24th, 2015, 05:31 PM
Autocorrect from Elon to Elton probably.

Sad, little man
March 24th, 2015, 05:36 PM
http://www.virginmedia.com/images/crazy-sad-elton-john-590x350.jpg

Godson
March 24th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Autocorrect from Elon to Elton probably.

Yeah. Sad banana for sure.

21Kid
March 24th, 2015, 09:53 PM
:lol:

Cam
March 25th, 2015, 04:37 AM

overpowered
March 26th, 2015, 11:35 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/24/travel/trans-siberian-road/

Russian Railways president Vladimir Yakunin has proposed a plan for a massive trans-Siberian highway that would link his country's eastern border with the U.S. state of Alaska, crossing a narrow stretch of the Bering Sea that separates Asia and North America.

I'm wondering what the point is. Such a road will have massive problems with snow and/or ice for much of the year and I can't imagine all that many people actually wanting to use it. There are no roads at all in that part of Alaska except in the city of Nome. There are no roads to Nome from anywhere. You get there by boat or plane or cross country.

I'm also thinking that crossing the 55 miles of the narrowest part of Bering Strait is going to be an issue. You have three choices: Ferry, which sucks, and probably won't even work in the winter due to ice. Bridge, which is going to be massively expensive and you're going to need to make it so that big boats can get through, probably by making it very high. Tunnel, which is just silly and even more expensive than the bridge, though at least it could avoid the weather problems.

Yw-slayer
March 28th, 2015, 12:26 AM
I just want to point out that this "selfie" is legendary (in the Rugby Sevens world): twitter.com/WorldRugby7s/status/581704583845580801/photo/1

Godson
March 28th, 2015, 08:12 AM
I just want to point out that this "selfie" is legendary (in the Rugby Sevens world): twitter.com/WorldRugby7s/status/581704583845580801/photo/1

Page not found...

Sad, little man
March 28th, 2015, 08:27 AM
https://twitter.com/WorldRugby7s/status/581704583845580801/photo/1

Not being part of the Rugby Sevens world, it just looks like a bunch of middle aged athletic dudes to me.

Yw-slayer
March 28th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Well yeah, so in that case there's probably no need for you to click on it.

Some of them are also famous 15s players.

overpowered
March 28th, 2015, 03:02 PM
I can't remember when they added it but there's been a Harley-Davidson dealership near the Costco I go to for a while now and I always forget to go check it out. I finally remembered today. It's actually quite huge and has a lot of bikes inside. It also has a tattoo parlor. Seriously.

FaultyMario
March 28th, 2015, 07:16 PM
Do you have any yourself, OP?

FaultyMario
March 28th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Funny how many different ways we have to pronounce one sound: R.

overpowered
March 28th, 2015, 09:50 PM
No. I don't own any motorcycles.

speedpimp
March 29th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Nicked one of my balls when I was shaving. Damn was that a lot of blood.

Freude am Fahren
March 29th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Watching this 60 Minutes piece on curing cancer with some kinda of Polio virus (yes, virus, not vaccine). I'd never heard of it before, seems pretty promising.

Godson
March 29th, 2015, 09:35 PM
Link?

Freude am Fahren
March 29th, 2015, 09:39 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/polio-cancer-treatment-duke-university-60-minutes-scott-pelley/

http://www.cancer.duke.edu/btc/modules/Research3/index.php?id=41

Sad, little man
March 30th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Is sporadically sending work emails outside of normal office hours a viable strategy to make it appear like you're super dedicated to your job?

Random
March 30th, 2015, 08:06 PM
Sure! :up:

Godson
March 30th, 2015, 08:34 PM
unless you actually are super dedicated to your job.

overpowered
March 31st, 2015, 12:14 AM
Hello! My name is Mohinder Suresh. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Drachen596
March 31st, 2015, 01:21 AM
Tired of work. No not like i hate this place but more like i really need a vacation..

speedpimp
March 31st, 2015, 03:17 PM
If a lady is going to where a short tight dress out in public she may want to consider retucking her penis.

Godson
March 31st, 2015, 03:24 PM
That isn't a woman...

speedpimp
March 31st, 2015, 04:17 PM
Can't get anything past you.

MR2 Fan
March 31st, 2015, 05:00 PM
I went to Wal-Mart today....not by choice...went with my dad who wanted something from there, anyway, I hate wal-mart customers...today I see some fat woman wearing a shirt that says "God, Family, Guns, Country", and on the back a huge gun and it says "Welcome To Florida".

ugh....I STILL don't get...to this day...how people can equate religion and guns being part of the same Christian values. It's like what Neil Degrasse Tyson was trolling about on Twitter one day...asking if Jesus would have preferred an AK-47 or an AR-15, and also reminded, in case anyone HASN'T seen it:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/331aMjOmfr0/hqdefault.jpg

speedpimp
April 2nd, 2015, 03:12 PM
You think you know a mother fucker. (http://www.elkharttruth.com/news/crime-fire-courts/2015/03/20/Three-brothers-seperately-molested-elkhart-county-young-girl-police-say.html) I lived next to Pedro(the guy in the middle) for almost ten years and never thought he'd ever do some sick shit like this.

Drachen596
April 2nd, 2015, 05:08 PM
i got called into work as a precaution because the other night tasker called at 10am saying she was stuck in Atlanta and was having trouble getting a flight back. she made it, but if she'd been 2 hours late and shown up at 6pm instead of 5:59 she'd have gotten fired because of attendance points.

who plans their vacation so it puts them in that kind of situation? especially one with cross country flights?

I know i want to be home the day before i have to work just in case.

Edit- I also feel kind of like a jerk for half hoping she wouldn't make it. losing the other night tasker means I'd be on 7 days a week until someone new was trained and approved to do the job. having to do that last year netted me 6 weeks of 7 day a week pay checks. time and a half over 40 and 7th day every week was double time.

Sad, little man
April 2nd, 2015, 05:33 PM
I have a strange, subtle urge to build a marionette puppet of myself.

speedpimp
April 2nd, 2015, 05:36 PM
DO EET!

Yw-slayer
April 2nd, 2015, 07:15 PM
Did you know that a Ford S-Max on Primacy HPs doesn't really move around a hairpin in the same manner as a BRZ wearing Pilot Super Sports?

TROOF

kmatt
April 2nd, 2015, 09:07 PM
I went to Wal-Mart today....not by choice...went with my dad who wanted something from there, anyway, I hate wal-mart customers...today I see some fat woman wearing a shirt that says "God, Family, Guns, Country", and on the back a huge gun and it says "Welcome To Florida".

ugh....I STILL don't get...to this day...how people can equate religion and guns being part of the same Christian values. It's like what Neil Degrasse Tyson was trolling about on Twitter one day...asking if Jesus would have preferred an AK-47 or an AR-15, and also reminded, in case anyone HASN'T seen it:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/331aMjOmfr0/hqdefault.jpg

Christians let me see at least some of their boobs

even if I have to pay

MR2 Fan
April 3rd, 2015, 08:26 AM

even if I have to pay

:up:

Godson
April 3rd, 2015, 03:56 PM
At least they wander around in tight clothing.

Dicknose
April 4th, 2015, 12:45 AM
who plans their vacation so it puts them in that kind of situation? especially one with cross country flights?

I know i want to be home the day before i have to work just in case.

I was due at work a few hours after I flew back from the U.S.
Although my work is very casual on hours and I could blow off the day without any great dramas.
Flew out last Monday, arrived wed 7:30am, went to work but didn't get in till about 10:30
Two weeks before I flew from Melb (F1) back to Sydney and went to work that day.

But yeah, if I knew my job depended on making this, I would plan to get back the night before.

Yw-slayer
April 4th, 2015, 01:24 AM

even if I have to pay

I'm sure there are people of other religions who'd also let you see your boobs if you paid.

JoshInKC
April 4th, 2015, 05:45 AM
I got invited to my first gay wedding last night, so that's gonna be fun.

novicius
April 4th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Man I hope they serve pizza. :up:

GreatScawt
April 4th, 2015, 01:21 PM
I need to stop flipping aggressive drivers off.

Need to get this one out there....

So I was leaving the gym today. I backed the car out of my spot slowly - I see someone coming down the lane, but they are a ways off that I can still pull out. I take a shallow exit out (I don't fully back out), putting my right side wheels over a few empty spots as I enter into the lane. By this time the guy is pretty close. I got the feeling that maybe he thinks I was letting him by when I took a shallow exit? I don't know. I drive on... it's only a few spots away before I make a left out of the parking lot. I drive straight to the end of the lane (I hate cutting lanes), stop with my left turn signal, and wait for an oncoming car to make a move. Said oncoming car turns early. Before I can even make my left, the guy behind me stops - his front right tire next to my back left... and he honks at me. I proceed to slowly begin my turn and (first mistake) flip him off. I mean, what the fuck man? He's basically in the oncoming part of the parking lot lane as I'm turning and he's yelling at me for not making a move quick enough? It just seemed so unnecessary and aggressive.

He takes his turn quickly behind me and immediately jumps into the oncoming lane. I think he's going to pass me. I flip him off because he's being ridiculous and aggressive (second mistake). Turns out he wants me to pull over - rather, two Latino guys want me to pull over. Uh, no. I'm all about civil conversation, but you don't know who you're dealing with. I put my hands up, "come on - this is crazy". He stays there until he has to stop because there's a car in the oncoming lane. I stop, he stops, the car stops. I kind of put up my hands again, he pulls in front of me, about two car lengths ahead. The driver opens his door, takes a half step out, and I think he calls me a faggot and something about my car. I put my hands up and nod in a "sorry, I fucked up" kind of way. I won't make it three mistakes.

At this point my heart was racing. But I'm glad that's all that ended up happening. So now I have to hope he doesn't see my car in the parking lot (keep in mind, I'm like always at this gym) - if he would even do anything anyway. I'm pretty sure he just got out of the Giant foods grocery story, so he was probably already pretty heated up from the Easter hustle.

Ugh. What a shit day. Lesson learned: do not escalate a situation, especially if you risk that person being a hot-headed scumbag.
Anybody have weird run-ins with crazy-ass strangers?

Godson
April 4th, 2015, 02:11 PM
I have, but I mostly don't interact with them at all. Mainly due to the issues of anything can happen. Unless I am on the bike. When they put my safety at risk, I bring that to their attention in a civil manner.

speedpimp
April 4th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Had a run in with a guy about ten years ago. I was walking across a parking lot and he sees me walking and instead of waiting for me to pass he makes a turn into a parking spot and gets out of his truck. Turns out we're walking to the same store so I slow down in front of him to and when we're finally inside of the store I stop for a second and he walks past me, I then speed up and pass him up again and slow down. He says something along the lines of "First you're moving slow, now you're moving fast. What's your problem?" Instead of saying something about him getting to close to me with his truck I just glared at him. When I glare at somebody I stare into their soul and make them feel very uncomfortable. In this instance I was probably the asshole, but oh well, some days it has to be that way.

Kchrpm
April 4th, 2015, 05:59 PM
Scott -
Next time just do The Worm. Defuses all situations.

Dicknose
April 5th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Why flip anyone off?
It might make you feel better for a second, but it can't improve the situation.
It makes it into a contest, where you win by getting the last word (or gesture)

Try something else next time. Even if it's just saying to yourself "what an idiot"

Honking, flipping, racing ahead - they are all simple habits that you can change.
It also means you can get rid of a lot of the stress they create.

You won't change how others drive, but you can change how you react.

GreatScawt
April 5th, 2015, 08:12 PM
You're exactly right. It just escalates things. Have to stop that.

thesameguy
April 6th, 2015, 10:26 AM
I got invited to my first gay wedding last night, so that's gonna be fun.

My first gay wedding was the Tyra Show, season 5 episode 128. It was kinda nuts.

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/the-tyra-show/episode-128-season-5/last-week-thursday-my-big-gay-wedding/195018/

Kchrpm
April 6th, 2015, 10:39 AM
My first gay wedding was on Conan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S3lujuNV-0

thesameguy
April 6th, 2015, 11:05 AM
How could anybody be opposed to that? I can't even fathom what's wrong with someone else when the goal is to deprive someone else of joy.

Drachen596
April 6th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Its weird to think i can trust everyone on here, an ex girlfriend and a friend in Wisconsin more than my family when it comes to not gossiping or simply shooting down ideas without real reasons or gossiping about me.

Kchrpm
April 6th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Yeah, you can TOTALLY trust me...

¬_¬

21Kid
April 6th, 2015, 12:28 PM
I'm not in Wisco anymore. :p

Drachen596
April 6th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Youre also not a female...

TheBenior
April 8th, 2015, 09:43 PM
The 21-month old daughter of a coworker unexpectedly passed away last night.

http://i.imgur.com/3I2K2m2.gif

Godson
April 9th, 2015, 04:29 AM
:(

thesameguy
April 9th, 2015, 12:06 PM

Like SIDS or something else?

GreatScawt
April 9th, 2015, 01:19 PM

Always puts things in perspective. Ugh.

speedpimp
April 9th, 2015, 01:34 PM
:( Fuck.

Godson
April 9th, 2015, 02:30 PM

Like SIDS or something else?

SIDS affected age range is 1 - 12 months. Something else likely is at play.

Alan P
April 9th, 2015, 02:51 PM

sandydandy
April 9th, 2015, 02:53 PM
:( Sorry man that's horrible.

We had a terrible Good Friday last week. My cousin got married in the morning, (reception was set for Saturday night), Friday night his bride was in the hospital. She suffered a stroke. Reception was cancelled and she's still in the hospital, but improving daily. Some type of cervical stroke. Forgot what it's called. My cousin was distraught. Biggest day of both their lives destroyed. She's in her early 30's. Fit and athletic. This came out of nowhere.

Of course we're thankful that she's improving. They're estimating 3-6 months for recovery. Real bummer though.

TheBenior
April 9th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Don't know what the cause was yet, she isn't back to work yet, and I don't intend to ask unless she wants to talk about it.

George
April 9th, 2015, 05:15 PM
Terrible news, and especially horrifying to anyone who is a parent.

Random
April 10th, 2015, 12:58 PM
My close-to-the-office Peet's is slipping--there was a chick behind the counter today with no visible tattoos or piercings. :smh:

thesameguy
April 10th, 2015, 01:40 PM
No tattoos is the new full sleeve.

Random
April 10th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Bo-ring.

Though I do "teehee" to myself every time I see Lou's classmate's mom with the two full sleeves. In Davis! Goodness!

speedpimp
April 10th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Russ, you make it sound as if Davis is the type of place a lady is chastised for wearing white before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.

Random
April 10th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Well, not so much. That said, the, uh, child-bearing population is a little more mainstream than the college attendees, that's for sure.

Drachen596
April 10th, 2015, 03:05 PM
we're down 5 people again at work. 4 gone in the last two weeks including two firings. one for something that happened months ago and they were told 'dont do it again and things will be fine'

I now have the 4th highest time in position in our group and i've been there a year. i don't have 4th highest seniority because that runs company overall.

Kchrpm
April 11th, 2015, 12:08 PM
When someone questions my expertise on breasts, I feel like Clark Kent having to lift weights in front of other people.

thesameguy
April 12th, 2015, 09:30 AM

Sad, little man
April 12th, 2015, 05:31 PM
I understand that you aren't supposed to drive a car on fresh concrete for seven days after it's poured, but I want to know how long before you can drive a Lotus on it. I mean, it's basically like a really fat person walking on it.

Godson
April 12th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Re: Mrs. Clinton running for pres.

Of course all of my Ultra Conservative friends are asking questions like "Why would anyone vote for her?"

If you must ask that question, you probably wouldn't like the answer given. If that is the case, then why bother asking that question?

Random
April 12th, 2015, 07:30 PM

Of course all of my Ultra Conservative friends are asking questions like "Why would anyone vote for her?"

If you must ask that question, you probably wouldn't like the answer given.

Indeed. :lol:

MR2 Fan
April 12th, 2015, 07:53 PM

If you must ask that question, you probably wouldn't like the answer given. If that is the case, then why bother asking that question?

or because all of the republican candidates are waaaay less electable than she is.

Godson
April 12th, 2015, 08:58 PM
I mean ffs. Just one of my random thoughts for the day. Not trying to turn this thread political.

In other news. SLMs lotus question leads me to think 3 days would suffice.

thesameguy
April 12th, 2015, 11:23 PM
Realization for tonight: When my girl is not around, I am completely irresponsible.

Dicknose
April 13th, 2015, 11:05 AM
I understand that you aren't supposed to drive a car on fresh concrete for seven days after it's poured, but I want to know how long before you can drive a Lotus on it. I mean, it's basically like a really fat person walking on it.
Depends mostly on your tyre pressure, not the weight of your car.
A bicycle would be worse.

Sad, little man
April 13th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Is the pressure exerted on the ground directly correlated to the tire pressure?

Sad, little man
April 13th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Actually, no, it would be greater than the tire pressure due to the weight transferred directly through the sidewall, right?

George
April 13th, 2015, 12:55 PM
A bicycle would be worse.

How about a pogo stick?

Alan P
April 13th, 2015, 03:07 PM
I love the way Clinton will be talking in public about how the 'fat cats' have had it too good for a long time and wee need tax reform etc but then behind closed doors she'll be all like 'GIMME YOU DOSHES!'

thesameguy
April 13th, 2015, 03:09 PM
I really don't like her. Like at all. She strikes me as an evil genius type, a politician of the worst kind.

speedpimp
April 13th, 2015, 04:01 PM
I've had my fill of Clintons and Bushes.

overpowered
April 13th, 2015, 04:26 PM
I can't say I'm a fan of Hillary either. I agree that she does seem like a bit of pure politician with not much in the way of scruples.

On the other hand, the major republican candidates that matter so far are full on train wrecks. Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, are all far worse.

The ones that probably will run, also suck. Ben Carson, Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, Carly Fiorina, Mike Huckabee, Lindsey Graham, Bobby Jindal, Rick Perry, Rick Santorum, Donald Trump, Scott Walker. Bloodly hell.

George Pataki might not be too bad. I need to look into him more.

There are a few others that I've never heard of.

The other potential democratic candidates don't look all that great either.

speedpimp
April 13th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Carly Fiorina reminds me of Lisa Lampinelli if she were a drag queen.

MR2 Fan
April 13th, 2015, 04:43 PM
it will be Jeb Bush vs Hillary Clinton...I'm 75% sure...but there will be a LOT of GOP infighting before then and great popcorn moments.

speedpimp
April 13th, 2015, 04:45 PM
And if there was ever the time for a third party it would be then.

JoshInKC
April 13th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I generally get fairly Nixon-y vibes from Hillary. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's also probably not a good thing. Ought to be at least mildly interesting, though I can't for the life of me figure out who the Reps will decide is electable - Because it is not looking like a strong field.

Random
April 13th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Any chance that Gary Johnson is running again? No? :(

overpowered
April 13th, 2015, 09:28 PM
There's a lot there that I really don't like and which plays into the hands of the Tea Party nitwits:

http://www.ontheissues.org/gary_johnson.htm

thesameguy
April 14th, 2015, 10:29 PM
I still can't make Amazon Pantry work, no matter how hard I try.

speedpimp
April 15th, 2015, 05:21 PM
What are you having a problem with not working?

thesameguy
April 15th, 2015, 05:22 PM
The value of it. It's a solid 20% more than local stores before you factor in shipping (admittedly only $6), and there is still a delay from shipping. Amazon does so much so well, it blows my mind they can't make household items work.

speedpimp
April 15th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Give them some time.

Sad, little man
April 16th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Serious question for the Aussies... Is your Santa Claus depicted wearing warm weather attire, or does he wear the same heavy coat that you see in most other countries, and it's just kind of understood that he sheds some layers when he comes down there to deliver gifts?

Leon
April 16th, 2015, 11:34 AM
99% of the time, it's cold weather Santa gear depicted, despite it being midsummer.

GreatScawt
April 16th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Super random, but lately, the Giant Bombcast is easily one of my favorite things I look forward to every week.

TheBenior
April 16th, 2015, 07:28 PM
My cousin used Amazon pantry (or whatever the precursor was) for diapers, but she lives in the boonies a good 50 mile round trip from the nearest Walmart, so the time/cost calculation was a little different for her.

thesameguy
April 16th, 2015, 09:15 PM
That would definitely change the value proposition! It's also possible I'm just buying the stuff that doesn't work out. I'm just upset that I can't quite become a complete recluse. There are still a few things I actually have to go to a store and buy.

Dicknose
April 17th, 2015, 04:56 AM
Serious question for the Aussies... Is your Santa Claus depicted wearing warm weather attire, or does he wear the same heavy coat that you see in most other countries, and it's just kind of understood that he sheds some layers when he comes down there to deliver gifts?

Usually heavy looking, but not that thick or they would die from heat exhaustion.
We do get surfing Santa.
And the occasional Santa with board shorts.

What I do find funny if people who put white spray on their windows as if it was snow. Yeah snow and its 100F.

MR2 Fan
April 17th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Went to get prescription for new glasses (I'm near-sighted)....doctor said I'm a good candidate for Lasik.....BUT I'll most likely need reading glasses in a couple of years anyway.....getting old sucks. :|

thesameguy
April 17th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Tell me about it. I have had poor vision for as long as I can remember, but it's not actually getting in my way. MY OTHER SENSES HAVE GROWN STRONGER TO COMPENSATE! I'll get laser surgery at some point, but the longer I wait the better it gets - so I fully intend on putting it off as long as humanly possible.

MR2 Fan
April 18th, 2015, 12:54 PM
ELON MUSK AGAIN....he tweeted that it's about time he gets his own volcano lair....then someone showed him this:

http://www.privateislandsonline.com/islands/meheti

and I think he wants it, lol.

sandydandy
April 18th, 2015, 05:09 PM
My right eye is much weaker than my left. Every now and then I go to the eye doctor to get a prescription, but only wear the glasses for a week or so. I've never considered contacts or laser eye surgery. Both options make my eyes water, just the the thought of them.

Drachen596
April 18th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Does it make any sense to invest low amounts of money? Like 1000 dollars or less

thesameguy
April 18th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Generally the answer is no, because in order to make anything worthwhile from a small amount of money you need to go with a fairly risky investment. Most people who have $1000 to invest don't have $1000 to lose. Non-risky investments don't make much money and will tie up cash for a relatively long time. Typically people with $1000 to invest don't have $1000 they can absolutely guarantee they won't need access to for a long time. A risky investment might yield 20% - is it worth risking losing $1000 to make $200? A safe investment might yield $1 after a year. Is it worth tying up a grand to make $1? Things used to be different, but these days you need to have a lot of money to really put it to work. It's another way the 1% continues to distance itself from the 99%. Good times.

(In theory you could buy 8 55 gallon barrels of gasoline and I'd say reliably make 20% in a year with almost no risk. But who can store 400 gallons of gas? :lol:)

Alan P
April 18th, 2015, 06:32 PM
Before considering investing, look at your debts if you have any. If you have $1k on a credit card with an interest rate of 14% (as an example) it's costing you $140 a year. There's no safe way you could get $140 from your $1k investment in a year.

Sad, little man
April 18th, 2015, 07:01 PM
(In theory you could buy 8 55 gallon barrels of gasoline and I'd say reliably make 20% in a year with almost no risk. But who can store 400 gallons of gas? :lol:)
There is no need for hairbrained schemes to benefit off of the likely rise in gasoline prices in the future. Just sink whatever money you were going to spend on stockpiled gasoline into an ETF that follows the price of oil. Then, if oil goes up, you have benefited just like you would have by stockpiling gasoline. But, if it goes down, you lose just in the same way you would if you were sitting on gallons of overpriced gas.

MR2 Fan
April 18th, 2015, 07:12 PM
That awkward moment when the big headline on CNN.com says you've died (well it happened in 2013, but it's the same name as me)

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/18/us/thrill-kill-teen-convicted/index.html

thesameguy
April 18th, 2015, 10:25 PM
There is no need for hairbrained schemes to benefit off of the likely rise in gasoline prices in the future. Just sink whatever money you were going to spend on stockpiled gasoline into an ETF that follows the price of oil. Then, if oil goes up, you have benefited just like you would have by stockpiling gasoline. But, if it goes down, you lose just in the same way you would if you were sitting on gallons of overpriced gas.

There are many reasons that does not work the way you think it does, but the two biggest components are that oil prices do not equal gasoline prices, and ETFs do not track oil as a commodity. Storing 400 gallons of gasoline is not the same as investing in an oil ETF by a long shot.

Drachen596
April 19th, 2015, 12:11 AM
I keep hearing about meditation and how good it is for you.

Is it possible that meditation takes different forms? I know I almost always feel calmer, in a better mood and just straight up happier when I go wander back roads in my car. (now if only it was cheaper to do so...)

Sad, little man
April 19th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Yes, meditation takes many forms. However, unless you were driving on back roads with the intent to meditate, then you were not meditating by driving on back roads.

speedpimp
April 19th, 2015, 07:29 AM
So unintended meditation doesn't count?

novicius
April 19th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Cleaning house, counting time between my wife's contractions, awaiting the arrival of my first kid and watching eps of "Spartacus" with her before a possible run to the hospital -- good times. :)

Random
April 19th, 2015, 08:29 AM
:up:

Godson
April 19th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Reoccurring corneal abrasions : they fucking suck.

speedpimp
April 19th, 2015, 01:59 PM
So a person buys a car from a high interest "buy here, pay here" dealer but one of the benefits is $5.00 oil changes at Jiffy Lube for the duration of the loan. You'd think that they would have the car at Jiffy Lube every 3 months/3k miles, no, instead you change the oil by adding oil when it gets low. So the $40 you pay a friend of mine to change the oil for the first time in over a year could've paid for two years of oil changes at Jiffy Lube.

Drachen596
April 19th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Well they're just changing it a bit at a time. It's better that way you see.

sandydandy
April 19th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Dockonomics reference?

speedpimp
April 19th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Pretty much, me bruv.

Sad, little man
April 19th, 2015, 04:33 PM
So unintended meditation doesn't count?
Not really, not from my understanding of it. Meditation can definitely take many forms, but I don't believe that something can really qualify as meditation without at least doing it with the intent to meditate. If you aren't aware of your meditation at the time it's happening, then you're kind of missing the boat entirely.

Kchrpm
April 19th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Really? I thought the point of meditation was to get the benefits of meditation, not to say "I meditated!"

Whatever frees your mind and gets you into a smooth, relaxed, state where you're awake but not really thinking about anything can be your meditation.

Drachen596
April 19th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Maybe its just having to concentrate on safely piloting a 4000lb car that clears my mind of other clutter. Whatever.

Sad, little man
April 19th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Really? I thought the point of meditation was to get the benefits of meditation, not to say "I meditated!"
Whether or not you say "I meditated" is up to you. But, from my understanding, to truly meditate, you have to actually put forth a conscious effort to meditate. Sure, you can do something enjoyable and relaxing, and feel better afterwards. But that's not meditation, it's just relaxing.

Whatever frees your mind and gets you into a smooth, relaxed, state where you're awake but not really thinking about anything can be your meditation.
When you're describing a state where you're awake but not really thinking about anything, you're essentially describing a zombie-like state. This is not the purpose of meditation. In fact, meditation requires you to be very acutely aware of what you're thinking. Some beginning meditation techniques might involve attempting to completely clear your mind, but this is not the ultimate goal.

Anyway, I'm probably the last person that should be trying to teach you about meditation. If you really want to know about it, you need to read some books about it or do some other kind of studying on it.

Godson
April 19th, 2015, 08:30 PM
From my schooling, that is pretty much spot on SLM.

Dicknose
April 20th, 2015, 01:12 AM
Yes it is not "thinking about nothing" - it is more like "thinking about thinking"

I think "mental relaxation" is a better description for doing something that wipes the brain.

sandydandy
April 20th, 2015, 05:06 AM
Does it make any sense to invest low amounts of money? Like 1000 dollars or less Here's a few ideas.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/15/investing/how-to-invest-1000/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_money_pool&iid=obnetwork

Kchrpm
April 20th, 2015, 06:04 AM
Yes it is not "thinking about nothing" - it is more like "thinking about thinking"
Ah, ok.

overpowered
April 20th, 2015, 09:07 AM
Apparently, the way to keep Facebook from switching from "most recent" to "top stories" is to access it with this bookmark: https://www.facebook.com/?sk=h_chr

Leon
April 20th, 2015, 11:32 AM
perfect timing ... woman I was dating who was driving me batshit with emotional high maintenance issues suggested we stop dating last night :)

[sigh of relief]

Just because a woman is older than you, is no assurance that she is less crazy than the younger women you have dated.

Leon
April 20th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Apparently, the way to keep Facebook from switching from "most recent" to "top stories" is to access it with this bookmark: https://www.facebook.com/?sk=h_chr

I downloaded a program called "Social Fixer", which gives you flexibility to change heaps of stuff, and also locks in "most recent" if you wish to do so (I did).

novicius
April 20th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Cleaning house, counting time between my wife's contractions, awaiting the arrival of my first kid and watching eps of "Spartacus" with her before a possible run to the hospital -- good times. :)
Well that was 37.25 hours of my wife's labor and about .25 hours of her actually pushing for us to finish up having a baby. :up:

Cedric Ray, 7 lbs. 13 oz. and 20 inches long, born today @ 2:26 PM CST. Hopefully the GTX will last long enough for him to post his own geekery on it? ;)

MR2 Fan
April 20th, 2015, 03:45 PM
Well that was 37.25 hours of my wife's labor and about .25 hours of her actually pushing for us to finish up having a baby. :up:

Cedric Ray, 7 lbs. 13 oz. and 20 inches long, born today @ 2:26 PM CST. Hopefully the GTX will last long enough for him to post his own geekery on it? ;)

Congrats!

37 hours...wow

Phil_SS
April 20th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Congratulations Carlito!

Hope to see the little man sometime in the next year.

Dicknose
April 20th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Congrats!
The forum is expanding.

Godson
April 20th, 2015, 07:35 PM
Congrats!
The forum is expanding.

And not just in a gravitational sense...

Congrats Dude!

novicius
April 20th, 2015, 11:32 PM
Thanks -- he's a handsome tyke. ;) #biased

neanderthal
April 21st, 2015, 01:10 AM
Congrats

thesameguy
April 21st, 2015, 10:42 AM
Jesus, 37 hours! That's a good run. Glad everything went as planned! :up:

21Kid
April 21st, 2015, 12:37 PM
Just buy a little bit at a time!!!

MR2 Fan
April 22nd, 2015, 08:33 AM
GTXF is good for you

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/22/internet-forums-are-good-for-you/?ncid=rss_truncated

George
April 22nd, 2015, 11:23 AM

Whoa - I just saw this. Congratulations to you and the missus! Great news.

PS - I don't feel tardy.

thesameguy
April 22nd, 2015, 12:51 PM
I think the proper term is developmentally challenged you insensitive galoot.

George
April 22nd, 2015, 01:09 PM
That dadgum novicius and his patois has got you thinking everything that ends in a Y is an abbreviation for something, like Chally and lappy.

Why, he said lappy again just today in the GTA V thread. If he wasn't a sleep-deprived new Dad, I've have to take him out back behind the Pit Stop and learn him some manners beofre he ruins the whole durn language!

speedpimp
April 22nd, 2015, 03:17 PM
Had a delivery in downtown Grand Rapids today. There was a construction zone right in front of the customer and their off street parking was being used to dump concrete into a semi. Finally found a place to park three blocks away. At least I remembered where I left the truck.

overpowered
April 22nd, 2015, 09:35 PM
Just walking around the neighborhood:

novicius
April 23rd, 2015, 09:49 AM
If he wasn't a sleep-deprived new Dad, I've have to take him out back behind the Pit Stop and learn him some manners beofre he ruins the whole durn language!
Yeah there is pretty much no hope for my kid. :lol: :up: #doyouwantfrieswiththat?

21Kid
April 23rd, 2015, 12:41 PM
Maybe he can be a hair model?

Drachen596
April 23rd, 2015, 01:49 PM
Its reay sad that to keep people in my family from trying to take over my vacation plans i have to literally not tell anyone when im taking it.

sandydandy
April 24th, 2015, 08:25 AM
My 13-year-old son will be attending his first real concert tonight. OneRepublic is in town at the Air Canada Centre, and he'll be going with his aunt (my sister). I can remember my first concert back in 1989. I went to see Bon Jovi at the old Exhibition Stadium where the Blue Jays used to play. They've long torn that down and replaced it with a soccer stadium. I remember Skid Row opened the show, and it was awesome. I was 13 at the time as well, and actually went alone. Maybe I was a bit of a loser with no friends...whatever, I didn't care. I wanted to see my favourite band and the show was awesome.

speedpimp
April 24th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Saw my first concert at 13 as well. It was Feb '84 and ZZ Top headlined with the Eric Martin Band opening. Saw Top again ten years later and loved it a lot more because I was more familiar with their music.

Freude am Fahren
April 24th, 2015, 06:07 PM
My first concert was when I was 11 in '96. I went with my dad and two older sisters. My dad and I were just going to drop them off and hang out until we had to pick them up, but he agreed to let me go in (with him). It was one of those big line-up type things put on by the local rock station. Only one stage I think (maybe two at that point), but it was fun. I watch the Bosstones (who I really wanted to see), a little bit of Butthole Surfers (Didn't even know they were there), and Primitive Radio Gods (remember that phone booth song?)

FaultyMario
April 24th, 2015, 08:59 PM
15 for me, and it was '94. Great vintage, that year.

Dicknose
April 25th, 2015, 05:31 AM
God I feel old

George
April 25th, 2015, 05:52 AM
For me it was Aldo Nova and Loverboy in 1982. I went with a girl whose father worked with mine. She and her family had just moved to our town from Texas and I guess her father mentioned to mine that she had two tickets to a concert but no one to go with. She drove a brand new S-10 Blazer, which were new to the world back then and extremely cool. So was she. I knew from seeing kids wearing concert shirts at school that I was supposed to buy a tee shirt at the show, and I did. The shirts were displayed folded up, so I didn't know it was sleeveless until I unfolded the one I bought. It was black and said LOVERBOY in large, pink letters.

My father was not impressed. :lol:

1982 Blazer from google:

https://truewestimports.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/s10.jpg

MR2 Fan
April 25th, 2015, 08:58 AM
who is Bruce Jenner and why does anyone care if he is a woman?

Cam
April 25th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Former gold-medal olympian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Jenner

Celebrity news=Click bait... or something. :rolleyes:

MR2 Fan
April 25th, 2015, 01:02 PM
not sure if anyone cares, but the Tesla Motors twitter account has just been hacked.

speedpimp
April 25th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Introducing the new feminist trend of "Free Bleeding" (http://modernwomandigest.com/disturbing-new-feminist-trend-free-bleeding/). It's just one of those things I will never understand.

Sad, little man
April 25th, 2015, 05:05 PM
Thank god I'm not a woman. Wangs are so wonderfully simple to operate and maintain. I don't know how women do it.

thesameguy
April 27th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Introducing the new feminist trend of "Free Bleeding" (http://modernwomandigest.com/disturbing-new-feminist-trend-free-bleeding/). It's just one of those things I will never understand.

What the effing eff.

Secondly, it is a well known, documented, scientifically proven fact that women are naturally more unclean than men are. It’s stated in the Bible

Sad, little man
April 27th, 2015, 10:18 AM
God damn Chipotle for buying into this anti-GMO insanity. Actually, the true blame goes back to the paranoid consumer, but still...

Technology makes things easier and better. Just because some technology is too small to see and touch doesn't mean it's witchcraft. Technology gave us pencil sharpeners with electric motors on them. I don't see anyone terrified of using electric pencil sharpeners. But for some reason people get all freaked out when someone makes a plant that grows better with less water.

Hell, GMOs might be the only thing that saves us when we screw the planet up too much to grow any normal crops.

neanderthal
April 27th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Damn.

This earthquake in Nepal though...

overpowered
April 27th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Yeah. 8.1 is some serious shit. Death toll is over 4300 so far and it will likely go up. There were even deaths in Bangladesh which is a long way from the epicenter.

Freude am Fahren
April 27th, 2015, 04:29 PM
A bit of a side thought I had, I wonder what kind of effect it had on the height of the mountains. Could Everest be a few meters taller or shorter?

JoshInKC
April 27th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Could be, very dependent on local geology though. Heard a teaser on some npr program today about Kathmandu being displaced 6-10 feet to the south, which is a pretty good sized movement.

speedpimp
April 28th, 2015, 02:14 PM
"I was married to a cunt for so long that I decided to go out and get my own!"-Artie Lange on Bruce Jenner.

overpowered
April 28th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Death toll in Nepal is over 5100 today.

Random
April 28th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Major seismic zone + lack of building standards + city on old lakebed = disaster in the making, sadly. :|

sandydandy
April 29th, 2015, 08:48 AM
For UFC fans...Jon 'Bones' Jones was just stripped of the Light Heavyweight title after a hit and run incident in New Mexico.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/04/jon-jones-stripped-of-ufc-title-cormier-meets-johnson-for-vacant-belt-at-ufc-187

:smh:

The guy is on top of the MMA world, yet he fucks it all up. So stupid. I was really looking forward to his next fight too.

EDIT - It gets worse: Reebok has just terminated their sponsorship deal with him. Talk about shitting your career away.

George
April 29th, 2015, 11:58 AM
This isn't worth it's own thread, and I don't wish to call that much attention to it anyway in case Big Brother is watching, so I'll just ask here.

Where do job seekers in the USA go nowadays to cruise want ads? The last time I planned a job change (rather than having one thrust upon me), monster.com was the place to go. The time before that, it was the newspaper.

Where are the cool kids at least looking for, if not actually obtaining jobs?

(Yes, I realize the best jobs are unadvertised, it's not what you know but whom, networking gets it done 99% of the time over some resume that came in the mail along with 5000 others, your mileage may vary, it's unlawful to remove this sticker, and all the other usual disclaimers)

thesameguy
April 29th, 2015, 12:02 PM
I think all the usual subjects (monster, et al), plus probably LinkedIn. :) Maybe Craigslist depending on the specific nature of the job. Same with recruiters - reach out to some locals and get more people looking out for you. :)

speedpimp
April 29th, 2015, 01:10 PM
More niece's car shenanigans. The entire brake system basically needed to be replaced. Last night my neighbor was at my niece's house putting a master cylinder on the car. He was trying to bleed the brakes and couldn't get any pressure at one of the rear wheels cylinders(also new). Turns out a brake hose had collapsed. It's a 12 yr old car that has had very little maintenance done to it. Anyways my niece's dad was in town visiting from Arkansas. He was drunk and decided to go outside and tell my friend how to work on the car. I wasn't there but apparently it got somewhat intense enough that I got a call from my dad to tell me about what happened. My friend is a very competent mechanic, while the ex-bil's level of mechanicocity is to run a hot wire to the battery when the fuse for the cooling fan burns out.

Freude am Fahren
April 30th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Just found out Olivia Wilde's real last name is Cockburn. That is all.

thesameguy
April 30th, 2015, 09:53 AM
She comes from a long line of Cockburns, so named because of their signature twisting motion.

George
April 30th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Still monster.com, eh? Okay, thanks. I asked because I overheard someone at work say something about putting a resume on such-and-such a website and it was one I'd never heard of. I didn't want to butt in and ask, "Say, what job seeking site did you mention?"

I don't post my resume online for the world to see, nor am I on Linked In or Facebook or any of the other "look at me!" websites, but as I recall surfing monster.com was an okay way to get an idea of the local job market. It was no worse than the newspaper classifieds for that.

thesameguy
April 30th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Oh, there are bazillions of resume websites out there, but you can go crazy trying to know them all. :) I am anti-social-networking but I would absolutely get on LinkedIn. If nothing else it's a great way to get in front of a lot of recruiters and if you know people who are also on LinkedIn it can help frame you and your career in a positive way. It's really, absolutely worth doing. There are also hiring manager focused sites like glassdoor and aggregators for those sites like indeed. My strategy would be to post a profile on LinkedIn, a resume on monster, and troll glassdoor and indeed on the daily. That has got to be bloody close to every job in the country. Heh.

George
April 30th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Indeed! I think that's the one she said. Thanks again. I'll have to check that out from home when I get some time this weekend.

I'll probably go back to the same headhunter who got me this gig for starters. Right now I need to learn how to make a resume that looks like 2015 and not 1995.

But hey, at least I don't use my AOL email address on my resume!

Sad, little man
April 30th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Don't overlook http://resumehole.com/ . They have one of the fastest Resume submission processes of any of the online Resume websites.

George
April 30th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Thanks, SLM. I'll check it out.

speedpimp
April 30th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Just found out Olivia Wilde's real last name is Cockburn. That is all.

There is a Canadian musician named Bruce Cockburn and he pronounces the last name as Coburn.

Her's is pronounced Coburn as well.

Sad, little man
April 30th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Is that like how John Boehner's name is pronounced "Bay-ner?"

MR2 Fan
April 30th, 2015, 05:38 PM
sometimes modern technology can screw your illusion of being "connected".

I just found out that I posted "happy birthday" on fb to a dead person :(

He was the the father of one of my female friends in HK....he was also on one of my FB friends, and today she just told me that he passed away a month ago. If I had been following either of their "news" feeds on FB I would have known, but honestly I don't follow 95% of my friends. :|

Sad, he was a really cool dude.

Sad, little man
April 30th, 2015, 05:48 PM
I don't have my birthday on facebook. Having a web interface prompt everyone I have ever had even a passing acquaintance with to wish me a happy birthday is the epitome of a lack of sincerity.

MR2 Fan
April 30th, 2015, 05:52 PM
I don't have my birthday on facebook. Having a web interface prompt everyone I have ever had even a passing acquaintance with to wish me a happy birthday is the epitome of a lack of sincerity.

yeah, thanks for the reassurance :|

Sad, little man
April 30th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Not my fault technology has stripped the meaning out of most communication between individuals.

overpowered
April 30th, 2015, 08:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFiVGSfFauY

speedpimp
May 1st, 2015, 02:37 PM
Is that like how John Boehner's name is pronounced "Bay-ner?"

Or how Brett Favre's last name is pronounced "Farve" or Fuchs is pronounced Fukes or Fucks but is really pronounced Fox.

Drachen596
May 3rd, 2015, 10:57 AM
If you dont vote then you dont get to complain about politics.

thesameguy
May 4th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Incorrect. It's only if you don't vote that you get to complain.

“I have solved this political dilemma in a very direct way: I don’t vote. On Election Day, I stay home. I firmly believe that if you vote, you have no right to complain. Now, some people like to twist that around. They say, ‘If you don’t vote, you have no right to complain,’ but where’s the logic in that? If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they get into office and screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote — who did not even leave the house on Election Day — am in no way responsible for what these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess that you created.” — George Carlin

Sad, little man
May 4th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Hmm, I found that Michigan is one of the states where salvia divinorum (a hallucinogenic plant) is still legal. I'm contemplating incorporating some into the landscaping in front of my house, just to stick it to the man and make the "squares" nervous. :D

speedpimp
May 4th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Next thing you know you've got a giant crack rock in your basement.

Alan P
May 5th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Are you guys getting any coverage of our election 'over there'?

Sad, little man
May 5th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Nope, nothing here.

Being that most things going on politically in England are barely worth a mention in mainstream US media, you guys have about as much importance to us as pocket lint. Like, if someone in this country found some pocket lint in their pants after they came out of the dryer, that warrants about the same amount of media coverage as when you guys have an election.

Anyway, we all love cotter pins when it comes to holding things in place, but is it possible to have like a cotter pin for a cotter pin? I mean, if you had something that absolutely had to stay in place, even if the laws of physics took a trip to the finger lakes region of upstate New York for a weekend of wine tasting, could you get like a cotter pin with another smaller cotter pin holding it in place? Could that smaller cotter pin have yet another cotter pin securing it?

Random
May 5th, 2015, 07:50 PM
I think if it really has to stay in, you just weld the nut on after you've tightened it. :p

Sad, little man
May 8th, 2015, 02:24 AM
But what if you intend to remove it later?

Anyway, I'm beginning to think that the USPS tracking system just randomly generates status updates that make some sense in relation to your package, but in reality they have no clue where it really is. Their expected delivery dates seem to have about as much integrity as jello reinforced with packing peanuts.

Alan P
May 11th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Was offered sex tomorrow morning. Just turned it down. WTF?

Cam
May 11th, 2015, 06:41 PM
:erm:

Godson
May 11th, 2015, 08:23 PM
I know the feeling.

speedpimp
May 12th, 2015, 03:42 PM
After my route today I was sitting at a table doing my paperwork and a coworker bent over beside me and I got a face full of her hair. I couldn't help but catch a whiff and tell her that it smelled like "kittens and heaven". She giggled.