PDA

View Full Version : This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

MR2 Fan
August 22nd, 2015, 05:05 PM
I've driven in several states and in my experience Florida drivers are the worst. Of course I haven't been to California yet. New York and Ohio drivers are pretty decent.

In this country Quebec drivers are very douchy.

Being a Floridian...I knew Florida drivers have gotten really bad....a few weeks ago I drove to North Carolina for vacation/family reunion (my family is from Pennsylvania but we meet there), and I re-confirmed...Florida definitely has the worst drivers between the 4 states I drove through.

speedpimp
August 22nd, 2015, 05:18 PM
How do you lose a customer who buys a shit ton of produce from you? Spit tobacco juice inside of one of their trucks. That's how.

And it's a week later and the boss summed it up as such "You have to realize that there are different types of people in the world!"
In other words the boss took Tobacco Man's schlong up his toukas and then took it in his mouth. FFS.

speedpimp
August 22nd, 2015, 05:20 PM
Speaking of Quebecois. I saw a trio of them riding Bimmers in Michigan the other day. The middle of the three looked like he was wearing wing tips. And as he rode he didn't have his feet on the pegs but splayed out to the sides. Looked like the tips of his toes were only a few inches off of the ground.:eek:

Cam
August 22nd, 2015, 07:17 PM
Having driven in nearly every state and province, I think I'm qualified to say that Florida has the worst drivers of anywhere I've been. :twitch:

TheBenior
August 23rd, 2015, 02:13 AM
Illinois wins the retard and crazy driver award

Being from Chicago, Illinois, I thought that driving in Southern California wasn't that bad by comparison.

Alan P
August 23rd, 2015, 04:55 AM
I highly recommend not having an ex wife.

Dicknose
August 23rd, 2015, 07:09 AM
Speaking of Quebecois. I saw a trio of them riding Bimmers in Michigan the other day. The middle of the three looked like he was wearing wing tips. And as he rode he didn't have his feet on the pegs but splayed out to the sides. Looked like the tips of his toes were only a few inches off of the ground.:eek:

Is that a problem?
It won't kill you to touch the ground. Hit something like a cat-eye reflector can give your foot a bit of a jolt.
But boots touching the ground just end up getting a very strong polish on their underside or edge.

Freude am Fahren
August 23rd, 2015, 10:18 AM
I have to go with South Florida (btw, if you haven't been to Miami, but you still think Florida is the worst, which is possible, you have no idea just how bad it can be). But I may be biased. I've driven pretty much everywhere along the eastern seaboard, but not CA or Chicago. Friend of mine down here is moving to the windy city, so I'll try to get her opinion when she's been there a while. She's also lived in LA and says it's worse here.

speedpimp
August 23rd, 2015, 02:36 PM
Is that a problem?
It won't kill you to touch the ground. Hit something like a cat-eye reflector can give your foot a bit of a jolt.
But boots touching the ground just end up getting a very strong polish on their underside or edge.

Just looked weird is all.

Dicknose
August 23rd, 2015, 06:49 PM
On some long highway rides I'll take my feet off the pegs and dangle them down, maybe let my boots just skim the road.
It probably does look a bit odd. Maybe no worse than stretching both arms up (cruise control!) or standing on the pegs to stretch your legs and take a load off your butt.

Dicknose
August 23rd, 2015, 06:52 PM
I have to go with South Florida (btw, if you haven't been to Miami, but you still think Florida is the worst, which is possible, you have no idea just how bad it can be). But I may be biased. I've driven pretty much everywhere along the eastern seaboard, but not CA or Chicago. Friend of mine down here is moving to the windy city, so I'll try to get her opinion when she's been there a while. She's also lived in LA and says it's worse here.
Well in my vast experience of FL driving (a few miles from airport to hotel after peak hour) everyone seemed ok. Except for 3 cars that decided having their lights on would shorten bulb life. Of cause they all had dark vehicles!
So I can't vote them are worst (yet) but it's not off to a good start.

MR2 Fan
August 23rd, 2015, 07:27 PM
Well in my vast experience of FL driving (a few miles from airport to hotel after peak hour) everyone seemed ok. Except for 3 cars that decided having their lights on would shorten bulb life. Of cause they all had dark vehicles!
So I can't vote them are worst (yet) but it's not off to a good start.

Yeah, I see that nightly

TheBenior
August 23rd, 2015, 08:21 PM
standing on the pegs to stretch your legs and take a load off your butt.
I sometimes do that when I fart.

Godson
August 24th, 2015, 06:51 AM
Crop duster

Freude am Fahren
August 24th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Yeah, lights off at night is getting worse and worse. The biggest problem I think is a combination of auto headlights (that someone doesn't realize they set to off) and DRL's that are good enough illumination to not notice your headlights are off. DRL's should NOT be bright enough to see the road at night.

Random
August 24th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Yeah, lights off at night is getting worse and worse. The biggest problem I think is a combination of auto headlights (that someone doesn't realize they set to off) and DRL's that are good enough illumination to not notice your headlights are off. DRL's should NOT be bright enough to see the road at night.

With the rise of dash displays, dash lights aren't a thing anymore, either, so there's another missing cue to turn on your headlights.

Plus, people are just plain dumb about things like that. :|

Leon
August 24th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Go back to the 80's and put pop up lights on all of the things :) Problem (mostly) solved.

Kchrpm
August 24th, 2015, 11:59 AM
I had the problem in a rental car of the driving lights being bright enough for me to think, at first, that my headlights were on. I think I saw the reflection on the back of the car in front of me, and then was in a section that was heavily lit from street lights, and it took 5 minutes or so before I realized there was a problem.

Dicknose
August 24th, 2015, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't mind if they had some lights on, parkers, drl or a man waving a lantern walking in front.
I don't care if they can see the road, I care that I can see them!

Can I add that indicating seem less required in Florida, possibly even illegal to use them.

Alan P
August 25th, 2015, 02:43 AM
Seems to be an issue in Scotland too. People thinking 'I can still see alright, I don't need my lights on yet', not realising in their stupidity that lights are also to BE seen, not just to see.

Godson
August 27th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Can I add that indicating seem less required in Florida, possibly even illegal to use them.

LOL!

TheBenior
August 30th, 2015, 05:43 AM
My dog's little girlfriend next door moves away today. They got one last time to run around together, but I'm wondering how long he'll be walking over to the fence looking for a dog who's no longer there.

overpowered
August 31st, 2015, 01:49 AM
The worms will live in every host. It's hard to pick which one they eat most

Godson
September 1st, 2015, 03:39 PM
According to Forbes...

We are all wrong. :?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2015/09/01/where-to-find-the-nations-best-and-worst-drivers/

speedpimp
September 1st, 2015, 03:48 PM
I was helping a coworker brush her hair and found it very soothing and relaxing, even though there were a few tangles. I tried being very gentle with her because of the tangles, she said not to worry because she was used to it. She also said that she never cut her hair for the first time until she was 21. At that point it was down to her ankles.

Cam
September 1st, 2015, 03:53 PM
According to Forbes...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2015/09/01/where-to-find-the-nations-best-and-worst-drivers/

Three of the top five are Massholes. :lol:

Novi, nice to see your town on the good list. :)

novicius
September 1st, 2015, 06:16 PM
:up:

Yeah, I haven’t had an accident since 1990. :lol:

Godson
September 1st, 2015, 08:01 PM
Three of the top five are Massholes. :lol:

Novi, nice to see your town on the good list. :)

Typical...

My Home town at Number one gets no credit. :(

Cam
September 2nd, 2015, 03:55 AM
Sorry, man. Oversight on my part. :o

Well done Godson and KC! :)

21Kid
September 2nd, 2015, 06:25 AM
You live in Kansas? Here I thought you lived in MO this whole time. :o

Freude am Fahren
September 2nd, 2015, 07:03 AM
According to Forbes...

I'd be interested in a study that only looks at stats from summer (or at least in between winter weather season). Florida doesn't have to deal with that luckily. And I don't think most accidents=worst drivers either. If 1000 cut me off in a year, but none cause an accident, and someone in Boston gets sideswipes once with contact, where are the worse drivers?

But anyway, I know Boston has always been knows for bad drivers, but really everytime I go, I just don't see it.

Dicknose
September 2nd, 2015, 01:22 PM
Accident is worse driver.
The idea of driving is to not hit things, including other vehicles.
Stupid and rude stuff mostly matters because it's a potential accident.

Godson
September 2nd, 2015, 03:58 PM
You live in Kansas? Here I thought you lived in MO this whole time. :o

Fuck. I live in the MO.

Nobody wants to drive in kck... Dead serious about that.

Freude am Fahren
September 2nd, 2015, 04:07 PM
Accident is worse driver.
The idea of driving is to not hit things, including other vehicles.
Stupid and rude stuff mostly matters because it's a potential accident.

Yeah, that one driver is worse than the other 1000 (even if they miss by luck).

But which area is worse?

JoshInKC
September 2nd, 2015, 05:32 PM
Fuck. I live in the MO.

Nobody wants to drive in kck... Dead serious about that.

Booooo!
Missouri sucks, especially their roadways.

Godson
September 2nd, 2015, 06:21 PM
KansASS. Where the road construction never stops, so you are tricked into thinking the roads are nice.

JoshInKC
September 3rd, 2015, 04:20 AM
You're not wrong, at least in the KC Metro. That stupid 435/35/K10 project has literally been going on in some form or another since I moved here in 2003. Supposedly, this project will save commuters 2 minutes a day when it's completed. Which I estimate will be about the time we no longer need roads because we've mastered Star Trek-style transporters.

However- having driven across MO several times in the past few months, it's impressive how you guys manage to make the entire length of I70 the same pot-holed / washer board texture for like 250 miles. Also, your ability to manufacture 45 minute Pennsylvania turnpike-esque construction delays in the middle of nowhere is quite the feat.

21Kid
September 3rd, 2015, 06:09 AM
Epic Rap Battles of History

KC vs KC

GO!

Godson
September 3rd, 2015, 01:19 PM
You're not wrong, at least in the KC Metro. That stupid 435/35/K10 project has literally been going on in some form or another since I moved here in 2003. Supposedly, this project will save commuters 2 minutes a day when it's completed. Which I estimate will be about the time we no longer need roads because we've mastered Star Trek-style transporters.

However- having driven across MO several times in the past few months, it's impressive how you guys manage to make the entire length of I70 the same pot-holed / washer board texture for like 250 miles. Also, your ability to manufacture 45 minute Pennsylvania turnpike-esque construction delays in the middle of nowhere is quite the feat.

Let you not forget the shit show that was the grandview triangle. That shit was under construction for damn near 20 years.

JoshInKC
September 3rd, 2015, 01:35 PM
Ah, the goddamn triangle, I STILL avoid it out of habit. Shit-show is definitely the correct terminology, that stupid thing would shut down commuter traffic for like 1/4 of the metro if there was the slightest problem; which there was, constantly.

Godson
September 3rd, 2015, 08:56 PM
Ah, the goddamn triangle, I STILL avoid it out of habit. Shit-show is definitely the correct terminology, that stupid thing would shut down commuter traffic for like 1/4 of the metro if there was the slightest problem; which there was, constantly.

Ironically, it is now one of my favorite passageways. Sooooo stinking efficient.

Leon
September 7th, 2015, 02:23 AM
That moment when a friend posts a new "in a relationship" status on FB, and you want to ask him if he lost a bet ....

Sad, little man
September 8th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Muahahahahaha!

http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1430&d=1441752471

Cam
September 8th, 2015, 06:08 PM
:hawt:

Alan P
September 8th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Cool, I get to be a Jedi for another six months.

Cam
September 9th, 2015, 03:40 AM
You're turning to the dark side in six months or something? That would be too bad, because I would have to destroy you.

Alan P
September 9th, 2015, 02:27 PM
NO, I have a job that actually has the title JEDI. I have three polo shirts that actually say 'JEDI' on the back.

overpowered
September 12th, 2015, 12:31 AM
I'm looking at Roberta Vinci, an unseeded player who somehow managed to beat Serena Williams at the U.S. open, and she's shaking hands with Serena, who's got to be at least twice her size. It's just a little surreal.

Freude am Fahren
September 12th, 2015, 08:11 AM
So I thought the whole Net Neutrality thing was fixed? My ISP (OpticalTel) is clearly slowing YouTube down to a halt. Works fine on my mobile (ATT) and at work (Comcast), then like shit at home (multiple browsers and computers). Like so bad I can't even watch a single video bad. My internet works just fine otherwise (40+up/10 down)

thesameguy
September 12th, 2015, 09:16 AM
They will get fined if that's true. Call and ask them, then complain to the FCC.

FaultyMario
September 12th, 2015, 06:48 PM
I'm looking at Roberta Vinci, an unseeded player who somehow managed to beat Serena Williams at the U.S. open, and she's shaking hands with Serena, who's got to be at least twice her size. It's just a little surreal.

So she didn't get the natural year GS?

Bummer!

thesameguy
September 15th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Hey, idiot, the reason the two devices can't talk is because their gateways are wrong not because of problems with your routes. Way to waste your life, Captain Awesome.

Sad, little man
September 16th, 2015, 11:57 PM
You remember how like ten years ago little kids kept falling in wells and we had to spend like two days getting them back out? It doesn't seem like that happens anymore. Obviously that's a good thing, but what happened to change it? Did we get smart and cover up all the wells?

Kchrpm
September 17th, 2015, 04:02 AM
Nope http://fox59.com/2015/09/08/4-year-old-boy-his-dog-rescued-after-falling-into-well-in-mississippi/

overpowered
September 17th, 2015, 06:15 AM
Perception is based somewhat on what the news outlets decide to cover.

Freude am Fahren
September 17th, 2015, 06:39 AM
They finally added "Flashers Off" to the "Headlight On When Raining" messages on the highway electronic message boards I noticed today. I saw it right after passing someone doing 30 in a 45 while drifting and swerving into the next lane, surprise they were on their cell phone. Then being stuck behind someone merging onto I-95 at 35mph. Small victories.

TheBenior
September 17th, 2015, 06:47 AM
The comic book store I used to go to as a kid is closing after 41 years in business. (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/16/variety-comics-shop-of-chicago-closes-after-41-years/) :(

GB
September 17th, 2015, 06:23 PM
I think I'm going to start a Kickstarter to build a pipeline from Florida to Lake Mead. I'm pretty sure that it has rained in my area EVERY DAY since Memorial Day. Let's re-fill the reservoir!

Freude am Fahren
September 17th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Yeah, down here too. Quite a lot of flooding. Though Flooding in south Florida isn't anything like as dangerous as it would be in places with terrain.

Yw-slayer
September 18th, 2015, 01:35 AM
The comic book store I used to go to as a kid is closing after 41 years in business. (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/16/variety-comics-shop-of-chicago-closes-after-41-years/) :(

Sorry to hear about it. Fortunately mine's still around, even if I don't live in the country anymore http://www.timeout.com/kuala-lumpur/shops/the-mind-shop

I'm not terribly surprised, though. I rely on a Marvel Unlimited subscription myself.

overpowered
September 18th, 2015, 03:04 PM
I think I'm going to start a Kickstarter to build a pipeline from Florida to Lake Mead. I'm pretty sure that it has rained in my area EVERY DAY since Memorial Day. Let's re-fill the reservoir!Some people, including some state politicians actually have suggested a water pipeline from Oregon/Washington. People who've analyzed the problem have shown that it's really not cost effective. We're better off with existing conservation efforts, possibly building some more reservoirs, desalination and T2T.

thesameguy
September 18th, 2015, 03:08 PM
T2T.

So hot, don't know what it has to do with water but if it'll help I'm all for it.

Random
September 18th, 2015, 03:13 PM
So hot, don't know what it has to do with water but if it'll help I'm all for it.

"Toilet to Tap" aka water recycling/reclamation, but with the goal of re-using the water for domestic use, not just irrigation as is currently typical.

San Diego just started work on a system: Pure Water San Diego (http://www.sandiego.gov/water/purewater/purewatersd/index.shtml)

FaultyMario
September 18th, 2015, 07:12 PM
So glad i was not the only who thought "A2M".

Freude am Fahren
September 19th, 2015, 11:15 AM
It's not far off really.

21Kid
September 21st, 2015, 05:15 AM
"Toilet to Tap" aka water recycling/reclamation, but with the goal of re-using the water for domestic use, not just irrigation as is currently typical.

San Diego just started work on a system: Pure Water San Diego (http://www.sandiego.gov/water/purewater/purewatersd/index.shtml)

Shouldn't it be tap to toilet??? :?

Random
September 21st, 2015, 09:26 AM
The piping network doesn't care where the water started. :p

Just to clarify: this is different than using "grey water" to flush your toilet and water your plants. This is a municipal-level water reclamation program to turn treated water around and re-introduce it into the water supply.

mk
September 21st, 2015, 12:31 PM
Any CA water history data around?

I've seen one where CA is gerally quite dry.

Random
September 21st, 2015, 05:45 PM
How much history do you want? There is reliable data in some locations back for 150 years. Other locations, only 25-50 years. That doesn't get us into "climate" timescales, though. Tree-ring data exists for that.

It's not difficult to show that California is, in general, "dry" or even "quite dry," depending on your point of view. The question is how to deal with that when there's 30+ million people (and growing) living in the state, and that same state produces a large percentage (http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/statistics/) of the fresh vegetables for the country. Oh, and throw in that majority of the people live where the water isn't just for added difficulty.

KillerB
September 21st, 2015, 06:05 PM

Orange County already does this. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_County_Water_District)

The Groundwater Replenishment System (GWRS) takes highly treated wastewater from the Orange County Sanitation District and purifies it using microfiltration, reverse osmosis and ultraviolet light with hydrogen pyroxide. This produces high-quality water that exceeds state and federal drinking water standards. The GWRS has been operational since January 2008 and can produce up to 70 million gallons of water daily. Completion of an upgrade in 2015, the plant now produces 100 million gallons per day with a future expansion capability to provide up to 130 million.

OCWD and the Orange County Sanitation District were awarded the Stockholm Industry Water Award in 2008 for pioneering work to develop the Groundwater Replenishment System, the world’s largest water purification plant for groundwater recharge.

The only difference is they pump it back into the aquifer instead of putting it right back into the pipes, to avoid the "A2M" issues people have otherwise.

Random
September 21st, 2015, 06:08 PM
Yup. :up:

mk
September 23rd, 2015, 10:43 AM
The question is how to deal with that
That tried to be my point.

If base level should be different then solution should follow.

speedpimp
September 25th, 2015, 05:18 PM
Is nineteen years too much of an age difference?

George
September 25th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Heck no! I know you're about my age, and if you add nineteen years, that means she's old enough for Social Security. It's always nice to have a woman who has her own money.

I say go for it! :up:

MR2 Fan
September 26th, 2015, 06:11 AM
I like twitter, but some crap just annoys me, like these stupid poll options you see: "Retweet for Option A" "Favorite for Option B"....where's the "fuck off, I'm not promoting your stupid twitter account" option? (that's rhetorical)

speedpimp
September 27th, 2015, 03:09 AM
Heck no! I know you're about my age, and if you add nineteen years, that means she's old enough for Social Security. It's always nice to have a woman who has her own money.

I say go for it! :up:

Wrong direction. She's almost 26.

Drachen596
September 27th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Empty two small 401ks to put a deposit on a small 1 bedroom house or not..

KillerB
September 27th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Do you plan on ever living with anyone else or having a family? If so, you'll have to sell that at some point, and selling a 1BR house is not going to be easy.

Plus, unless those are set up as Roth IRAs (and I'm sure they're not), you'll get creamed on taxes.

George
September 27th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Wrong direction. She's almost 26.

See, you were supposed to say "LOL@ George" or something similar. I wish you good luck in your quest. :)

Alan P
September 27th, 2015, 11:42 AM
26 isn't that young and she's likely to be beyond the partying and going out every weekend and getting smashed with little to no concern for herself or others around her. Go for it.

speedpimp
September 27th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Yeah she's not a partier or drinker.

overpowered
September 30th, 2015, 08:50 PM
The object of golf is to play the least amount of golf.

FaultyMario
September 30th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Wrong direction. Almost 26.

Is He good in teh sex?

Drachen596
October 1st, 2015, 01:27 AM
Work got interesting tonight. Not sure how much more i can legally say on a public board like this.

thesameguy
October 1st, 2015, 07:07 AM
You can say whatever you want. You're not under an NDA, and if whatever happened happened in front of "people," then the participants have no expectation of privacy and you have free speech.

Freude am Fahren
October 1st, 2015, 07:45 AM
Really? Many work contracts have some form similar to an NDA, and if those "people" also work for the company and have signed similar documents, then yeah, he may not be able to legally discuss.

thesameguy
October 1st, 2015, 07:48 AM
NDAs typically apply only to intellectual property. It would be borderline impossible to wrap gossip you heard at work into a blanket employment NDA. And unless you work in technology or high-level management of some sort, you almost certainly never signed one. What someone else signed is none of your concern.

overpowered
October 1st, 2015, 07:58 AM
Now that cellphones are becoming more and more waterproof, pretty soon it will be okay to push people into pools again.

Drachen596
October 1st, 2015, 10:23 AM
Basic short version. Coworker apparently threatened me with physical violence to a supervisor. I wasn't in the room so i don't know specifics but everyone got to fill out reports and regional HR is involved

Cam
October 1st, 2015, 10:54 AM
And unless you work in technology or high-level management of some sort, you almost certainly never signed one.
Incorrect. TV and movie productions always have NDAs. I have to sign them at every animation gig I do.

21Kid
October 1st, 2015, 12:02 PM
I've signed a few that are pretty similar in the mortgage industry. About not disclosing confidential, personal information. And that the company owns the lending book of business.

speedpimp
October 1st, 2015, 12:53 PM
Is He good in teh sex?

He is a she. No sex.

George
October 1st, 2015, 01:01 PM
Basic short version. Coworker apparently threatened me with physical violence to a supervisor. I wasn't in the room so i don't know specifics but everyone got to fill out reports and regional HR is involved

Whatever happened to just going out back with the guy and settling your dispute like men? Now everyone wants to fill out reports instead of watching a good brawl in the parking lot. :lol:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/30/02/e7/3002e70ae00eb887b472a7369cee71d8.jpg

Sad, little man
October 5th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Here I thought I was just being stodgy and old fashioned by buying two identical external USB hard drives to save all of my photos to instead of putting them in the cloud (my laptop HDD is filled up with them, so I can't just buy one external HDD for a backup since I've already filled my internal drive with them.)

Then I realized that google drive space (and I assume all other cloud storage) is charged on a per-month basis, not a one time fee. Wtf!? Fuck the cloud. I would be continuing to pay for cloud storage long after I spent the same amount on it as these two HDDs cost, and that's a one time fee. (Yeah yeah, until one crashes and I have to replace it.)

thesameguy
October 5th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Seriously. Imagine my surprise when I got my second bill for electricity! I paid for the service one, why should I have to pay for it twice?

Kchrpm
October 5th, 2015, 07:16 PM
I have had multiple backup drives fail on me. I was very annoyed until tsg explained to me that hard drives should be treated like consumables, to be replaced every ~3 years.

Then I was just downtrodden.

So when Google Drive reduced their storage prices, I just went ahead and got 1 TB* additional for $10/month. Yes, I could have gotten an external hard drive with more storage for under $100, but between easy access from almost any internet device, offline access for important stuff and no more worrying about when is it going to fail on me, I'll deal.

I think there is/was a one-time fee data backup place, but at a high price and with more limited access to stuff.

*The actual storage limit is hard to nail down since all videos 1080p or smaller and images...I think 4000x4000 or smaller don't count against your quota. What your camera natively outputs ends up being a huge factor in how much storage you use/will need.

Sad, little man
October 5th, 2015, 08:07 PM
I guess I just don't see the huge allure of storing all of my stuff on the cloud when access to the internet outside of my home, where my hard drives are anyway, is not always that easy to come by. Sure, I have my cell phone, but just watch how fast I plow through my data plan accessing photos from my camera that average about 7MB each.

I don't look at storage devices as consumables because I've never had any storage device fail on me that I can ever recall.

Long story short, google has got to be making a fucking killing on drive storage. $120/yr for every TB will buy a lot of new hard drives.

Ultimately I guess this argument is similar to whether it's better to buy vs lease a car or buy a house vs live in an apartment. And well, I own my cars and house. Screw landlords and loansharks, even if they have a cute, newly redesigned logo.

thesameguy
October 5th, 2015, 08:33 PM
I too have definitely had a hard time getting internet access. Like hens teeth!

Sad, little man
October 6th, 2015, 02:39 AM
Guess I'm not quite an established enough member of the technology bourgeoisie to have access to limitless amounts of pillowy soft WiFi anywhere I go.

As I said, I don't consider cell carrier wireless internet to be anywhere near adequate enough to trust it to deliver all of the (large) files I want to me. The coverage is just too spotty. And, as I said, I would go through data like water if I was forced to use my cell carrier to access all of my files from a cloud drive.

Kchrpm
October 6th, 2015, 03:22 AM
I have WiFi at home when I want to access ALL of my files. When I'm on my cellphone, I'm rarely pulling up the full-size, multi-MB versions of my pictures, just thumbnails until I dive into them specifically in the gallery. At that point, yes, you can burn through data. If there's a gallery I'm looking at/showing people a lot (vacation pictures, etc), then I'll make that album available offline while I'm on WiFi.

Outside of my home, I rarely have a surprise need to get to a bunch of files in a hurry. For non-surprises, I have a 128 GB thumb drive.

But it's all just personal preference. You don't have to prove to us that your decision is right and convince yourself or anyone else that their differing choice is wrong, for you or them or anyone else.

Yw-slayer
October 6th, 2015, 04:57 AM
I got 1000Mbps fibre at home and 100mbps fiber at work. I backup everything I have (RAW photos mainly) to a home server and to 2 unlimited cloud storage services. Google Drive, Dropbox and Onedrive aren't unlimited (although I think my Onedrive account is something like 100TB and hence is effectively unlimited), so I use them for "access" rather than backup.

21Kid
October 6th, 2015, 06:05 AM
I use Google Photos too. And as long as you limit the size* of your files, it is free & unlimited. It's only for files over 16 MP that count against your limit.

Google Photos - Per your Google Photos settings, High Quality uploads are stored for free but Original quality uploads will consume your Drive storage.
And if you upload some larger files, it will warn you when you are at your 15 gb limit.
Original (14.1 GB storage left). Full resolution that counts against your quota

To be fair, I'm not all that into photography. Just like taking pictures of the family. I thought MPs really only mattered when you wanted to print large pictures. 16 MP is good enough for 17 x 11 prints. :? Not sure why you'd need files bigger than 16 mp. I just reduce mine so they fit within the guidelines and everything is free. Doesn't Flickr offer something free now as well? I haven't checked in a while.

*includes unlimited online storage space, meaning users can store an unlimited amount of high-quality photos (up to 16 megapixels) and videos (up to 1080p), for free.

Kchrpm
October 6th, 2015, 06:34 AM
I thought MPs really only mattered when you wanted to print large pictures. 16 MP is good enough for 17 x 11 prints. :?
You are correct. I have several prints hanging in my place, traditional and canvas, larger than 11x17, including an 8 foot by 2 foot banner :)

(if you have an excellent camera, original sizes are also good for cropping later and still being able to get a good print)

thesameguy
October 6th, 2015, 08:41 AM
When I'm on my cellphone, I'm rarely pulling up the full-size, multi-MB versions of my pictures, just thumbnails until I dive into them specifically in the gallery.

Word. Can't imagine why you'd need a 16mp RAW on a cellphone. Even with the bestest cell in the world you only need a 2mp for "full quality." Everything goes in onedrive. I ain't got time for managing USB drives, much less the interest in carrying one around. And I can't imagine the horror if it was lost or stolen. Big USB drives that support encryption = pricey.

I just can't imagine a scenario where I'd be somewhere without wifi, but with a USB host.

Man, this hike in the middle of nowhere is totally awesome. Hey, check out this 16mp sunset I snapped the other day - let me

A) get out my cell phone and show it to you. OH NOES! NO WIFI!
B) get out my laptop, plug in this USB drive, and show it to you. WIN.

I'm a paranoid freak when it comes to data, but I'm a lazy paranoid freak.

Drachen596
October 6th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Screw it. Im gonna do 12 hour days 7 a week till they say overtime is done.

double time on 7th day ftw.

21Kid
October 6th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Crash & Burn!!! :hard:

thesameguy
October 6th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Agreed. Make that money til you can't no more.

George
October 6th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Damn right! A couple of years ago I had an hourly job with virtually unlimited OT available, and practically demanded, too, as in, "what do you mean you can't come in on Sunday?!" I made good money, for a while, for once in my life.

And in other news, I and everyone else in my department (we're down to four people from sixteen a while back, and this at the same place where we were practically whipped like slaves if we didn't show up for weekend OT) were notified today that our jobs are being outsourced to India, and we will have the delightful opportunity to train our replacements. Go team!

No condolences necessary or desired. This is just another opportunity in life to once again prove that I can get a job like that *snaps fingers* and end up better off than I was before. As much as things suck in 2015, I still know this is the land of opportunity and anyone willing to show up on time, every day, day after day, and do his job and be fairly "low maintenance" from a managerial standpoint, will always find good work for fairly decent compensation.

Drachen596
October 6th, 2015, 05:50 PM
They fired the coworker who made threats so we are 3 short again. Plus busy season means OT is very available.

And one of my next checks should have my two year pay raise.

Sad, little man
October 6th, 2015, 05:54 PM
Maybe with all the extra OT you can buy a bulletproof vest for the inevitable active shooter situation then. :|

Stay safe man. :up:

Godson
October 6th, 2015, 07:33 PM
Maybe with all the extra OT you can buy a bulletproof vest for the inevitable active shooter situation then. :|

Stay safe man. :up:

Sad but true.

'Murica!

Drachen596
October 7th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Nah... work is totally a gun free zone.

Also i do not understand people who cheat. Just break up with whoever youre with. You dont love them obviously.

Kchrpm
October 9th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Re: local vs cloud backup discussion, there is currently a Google Drive disruption (which means it's not down for everyone; that would be an outage).

http://www.google.com/appsstatus#hl=en&v=status

Nothing's perfect, but I needz to check my Google Form responses for the GTXF Forza 6 series!!!

21Kid
October 9th, 2015, 12:59 PM
I can see your poll. Just not the results.

speedpimp
October 10th, 2015, 05:57 PM
Friend zoned. Apparently the age gap was too much of a thing to her. Kind of like the lady another coworker set me up with back in June and I was the one who had thought the 14 yr difference was too much.
KARMA!

MR2 Fan
October 10th, 2015, 07:02 PM
I'm getting old....some of the new slang I see people use online and elsewhere sounds really dumb. Of course "bae" is one...another one I saw on some stupid ad was "Get swole while sleeping"....I had no idea what that meant, then heard it has to do with building muscle aka swollen....sounds stupid as fuck

TheBenior
October 10th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Bae is fucking stupid. 'Swole' has been around at least since I was in college (when I started weightlifting), and I'm 34 now. Still stupid, but not new.

Godson
October 10th, 2015, 11:56 PM
That moment when you are drunk and wanting a ride home, some 40 blocks away buy are to cheap for a good taxior uber and fucking walk home.

Sad, little man
October 11th, 2015, 04:46 AM
I love good taxior ubers. No price is too high for a nice solid taxior uber.

speedpimp
October 11th, 2015, 05:32 AM
Bae is the new boo. Heh.

Alan P
October 11th, 2015, 07:15 AM
I really did not need a puncture just now. Sure I have a spare and it's a brand new tyre on it too but it's a steel wheel and looks awful.

Godson
October 11th, 2015, 09:48 AM
I love good taxior ubers. No price is too high for a nice solid taxior uber.

Making fun of the drunk guy ;)

21Kid
October 13th, 2015, 06:22 AM
I always liked walking it off. I usually ended up mostly sober by the time I got home.

overpowered
October 14th, 2015, 09:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZo2hhvvlpw

novicius
October 17th, 2015, 10:44 AM
:up: :up:

MR2 Fan
October 19th, 2015, 07:51 AM
I'm getting tired of selling stuff on ebay.

The last 3 auctions I've done, the person wins the auction, then never pays for it, I send invoices, emails and never receive any reply, then have to go through the process of cancelling it....real PITA

thesameguy
October 19th, 2015, 10:10 AM
I almost entirely use CL. I hate dealing with CL people, but it's a lot less cumbersome than dealing with Ebay and PayPal. Ebay is a last resort - things that are definitely worth quite a bit and I absolutely don't want them around anymore. Everything else is either CL or donation or trash.

MR2 Fan
October 21st, 2015, 02:50 PM
So Youtube introduces a subscription service called Youtube Red....that was a REALLY bad name choice...if you're familiar with something else named red and tube

speedpimp
October 22nd, 2015, 01:04 PM
Heh.

MR2 Fan
October 23rd, 2015, 08:15 AM
Hurricane Patricia - Holy Crap- strongest hurricane on record...200 MPH (320 KM/H) SUSTAINED winds....that's bloody insane!!

Sad, little man
October 23rd, 2015, 09:47 AM
If you drove a Koenigsegg One:1 along the same direction as the winds from hurricane Patricia, would it be able to go almost 500mph? (Yes, I know the tires and wheels would fly apart, but if they wouldn't...)

21Kid
October 23rd, 2015, 09:56 AM
Patricia -- the strongest hurricane ever recorded -- barreled closer and closer Friday morning to Mexico's Pacific coast, where residents have been told to brace for its 200-mph sustained winds and torrential rains.

Why aren't they evacuating? :? How do you brace for 200 mph winds?

Kchrpm
October 23rd, 2015, 10:01 AM
Buy lots of 200 mph tape (http://pitstopusa.com/c-132885-pit-equipment-tape-racers-duct-tape.html)

Random
October 23rd, 2015, 10:06 AM
Why aren't they evacuating? :? How do you brace for 200 mph winds?

Seems like most are. Except the ones that have been told by their employers to stay for security purposes. :|

21Kid
October 23rd, 2015, 10:17 AM
Buy lots of 200 mph tape (http://pitstopusa.com/c-132885-pit-equipment-tape-racers-duct-tape.html)

$6.59/90 ft x 1000 sq ft house x 8 ft high walls = :eek:

Freude am Fahren
October 23rd, 2015, 11:23 AM
If you drove a Koenigsegg One:1 along the same direction as the winds from hurricane Patricia, would it be able to go almost 500mph? (Yes, I know the tires and wheels would fly apart, but if they wouldn't...)

You can't really just add the wind. Rolling resistance would play a large part as well. So assuming you geared it for the exact top speed aero and rolling resistance would allow, and all parts were indestructable, I'd guess in the high 300's, low 400's. Purely a guess.

Like when you ride a bike with a 20 mph tail wind, you're probably not going to be going +20 what you would normally, more like +10-15.

Drachen596
October 24th, 2015, 11:42 AM
My grandmother isnt doing so well as of late.. i guess today she was making dinner for herself and my grandfather but couldnt find him anywhere

He died in 98.

Shes also fallen down a couple times recently including a badly bruised knee.

Cam
October 24th, 2015, 12:28 PM
:(

MR2 Fan
October 24th, 2015, 02:23 PM
saw an article about Taylor Swift doing something on The Weeknd...thinking this was some stupid spelling mistake at first, and being confused...found out that there's a singer who named himself "The Weeknd".

I must be getting old, I don't understand these artist names anymore. Apparently Calendr was taken? How about Taco Tuesdy?

Soon we'll need a quiz: Artist, Name of a smartphone app, or actual spelling mistake?

speedpimp
October 24th, 2015, 04:11 PM
ffs.

Cam
October 24th, 2015, 05:29 PM
I think the way it works is if you intentionally spell a word wrong in your product name you can register it as a trademark... or something.

George
October 26th, 2015, 11:45 AM
I'm not one to return things to stores, but I just bought a pair of shoes that WILL NOT stay tied. I swear, I've tied each shoe five times today. Maybe more. I'm about to sh*t-can them and go barefoot.

Freude am Fahren
October 26th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Just get new laces, and/or double knot?

George
October 26th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Yes, of course, but I wanted to gripe about first. :angry: :)

21Kid
October 26th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Also, get off his lawn!!!

George
October 26th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Also, get off his lawn!!!

A+ post.

Would read again.

JoshInKC
October 26th, 2015, 06:22 PM
Sad story incoming :

So, my best friend Sandra hurt her back a few weeks ago(middle of Sept). Nothing major, just one of those "slept on it wrong" type things. Then, at the end of the Week, she had this book event /convention thing in Albuquerque, so she drove down there & back. The trip home just wrecked her, like bed rest, painkillers, and muscle relaxants, etc. It wasn't getting any better, so she went back to her doctor, who sent her in for an MRI last Wednesday. The MRI revealed that the pain was due to a tumor which caused a compression fracture in her lower back. Further scans revealed that she had tumors on her liver, kidneys, and bones and a variety of other organs and systems.

It's apparently "very aggressive" stage 4 adenocarcinoma, and they suspected, it had been inside her for about 1/2 a year. They initially gave her life expectancy of 6 months with radiation and chemo until her quality of life was too bad and they needed to switch over to palliative care. Radiation was supposed to start today, and in fact they were doing fresh imaging in preparation for the aiming tattoos. The imaging revealed that the number of masses on her liver had doubled, and the bone cancer has spread "faster than they've ever seen." It was agreed that with such rapid progression, the chemo and rad would be pointless and interfere with her QoL more that it would be worth. So now they're saying 3 months with a focus on pain management and hospice.

This is all a hell of a shock, because Sandra is by far the healthiest person I know. Even though she's 12 years older than me, I would have put money on her outliving me by decades, barring accidents, etc. Seriously, she literally runs ultramarathons for fun. In the past few years, she's published her first 3 novels to some acclaim and steadily increasing sales. To top it all off, she just got married to her long-time partner in March and they've just recently purchased some land in Asheville, NC to build a house on.

So that's where I'm at right now.

TheBenior
October 26th, 2015, 06:44 PM

Random
October 26th, 2015, 07:31 PM
That blows. :(

The Aggie Band family just had a former drum major pass a week or so ago from a heart attack; he was 25 and had no past history of health issues. WTF. :mad:

Godson
October 26th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Fuck. Cancer.

Leon
October 27th, 2015, 12:22 AM
Totally agree. It took out my mum two years ago. Also undiagnosed until way too late (dry cough, sore ribs were the symptoms).

TheBenior
October 27th, 2015, 01:19 AM
That's what happened with my mother-in-law. Breast cancer had already spread to her rib, and it within a couple years it spread to a lung. Pneumonia killed her at the age of 59.

21Kid
October 27th, 2015, 05:28 AM
:( So sorry to hear about this. :(

Also...
Fuck. Cancer.

speedpimp
October 27th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Fuck. Cancer.

Times Infinity.

George
October 27th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Damn. I just read Josh's post. Sad news.

sandydandy
October 27th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Damn. I just read Josh's post. Sad news. Same here. Really sucks. :(

Reminds me of when my uncle had cancer in 2005, (it's been ten years already, damn). He was diagnosed at the end of August of that year, but it was already at stage four. He battled for about six weeks on the hospital bed, while his wife and kids battled through endless red-tape with various levels of bureaucracy in the state of Michigan, to get him proper treatment. He passed away the day before his first scheduled chemotherapy session.

Fuck. Cancer. Seriously.

thesameguy
October 27th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Forms Stabs, that's about the worst thing I have ever heard. Best to her and I hope she's able to make her time count in whatever way she chooses to. I've known a few people with spontaneous cancer diagnoses, but none that have turned out so grim. Have folks called around to various big-city oncology centers to see if there are any programs available? A friend of a friend got into a treatment program that - awful as it may sound - didn't give him any hope but did give him some cash to work with and paid for all his medication. Silver lining, if you will.

mk
October 28th, 2015, 04:14 AM
Experimental cell death stuff should be available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nivolumab

JoshInKC
October 28th, 2015, 04:15 AM
Last I heard (yesterday afternoon), they were waiting for a call back from some oncology center in Cleveland(?), but her doctors didn't think she was a likely candidate for the program. She's at the University of Kansas hospital, which has won a bunch of awards for cancer research and treatment, so I assume she's getting about the best advice available.
Given the pace with which its spreading, they've revised the timeline a bit, they now think it first popped up about two months ago, rather than six. So yeah, this is about the fastest cancer I've ever heard of. I was there when they were telling her that yesterday, and said, "Jesus Christ, why do you have to be exceptional at everything?" The doctor looked mortified, but we had a good laugh.

neanderthal
October 28th, 2015, 04:56 AM
I'm sorry to hear that about your friend mate.

Fuck. Cancer.

Alan P
October 28th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Damn that's awful news. :(

TheBenior
November 2nd, 2015, 05:23 AM
My electric meter may be on the fritz, which I learned after getting a bill for October that was double what it was for August, when I was actually running my air conditioner.

After talking to customer service, the reading is accurate, but there won't be a technician out until December 4th to make sure that the meter is functioning properly.

So I guess I can look forward to a November bill that will be 3 times higher than it should be as well.

Random
November 2nd, 2015, 07:57 AM
There should be a consumer advocate that can possibly speed up the process.

https://www.icc.illinois.gov/consumer/complaint/ <-- maybe these guys?

Yw-slayer
November 2nd, 2015, 09:16 AM
That's harsh man. I feel for you.

thesameguy
November 2nd, 2015, 09:31 AM
I think in the US it is a very painful process to disconnect utilities from an occupied place... maybe just don't pay the bill until they sort it out?

Alan P
November 2nd, 2015, 05:20 PM
My electric meter may be on the fritz, which I learned after getting a bill for October that was double what it was for August, when I was actually running my air conditioner.

After talking to customer service, the reading is accurate, but there won't be a technician out until December 4th to make sure that the meter is functioning properly.

So I guess I can look forward to a November bill that will be 3 times higher than it should be as well.

Not sure how it works for you guys but when I worked for the gas company over here less than 2% of 'faulty' gas meters and from what I remember, it was about the same for Electricity meters were fault. Of those few percent it was more common to under read than over read.

overpowered
November 3rd, 2015, 10:10 PM
We get a little rain and the local ABC affiliate is showing a rain radar map all through agents of shield. Seriously?

Drachen596
November 3rd, 2015, 11:42 PM
Coworker taken to the hospital vua ambulance Monday. Mri and whatever scans show two brain tumors.

wtf is going on anymore? People i know being sick, marriages and other long term relationships falling apart..

Godson
November 4th, 2015, 03:06 AM
It's called life. It is a brutal and vicious thing.

speedpimp
November 4th, 2015, 06:53 AM
So make sure to stop and enjoy its beauty.

FaultyMario
November 4th, 2015, 08:50 PM
Does anyone on this board feel belittled by SLM's "I only date supermodels" and TSG's "I keep alchemy-ing virtual money into real currency" runs?

Kchrpm
November 5th, 2015, 03:03 AM
I'm still reeling from Russ living the perfect life.

Godson
November 5th, 2015, 07:21 AM
I only operate the finest automotive and motorcycling machinery...

thesameguy
November 5th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Does anyone on this board feel belittled by SLM's "I only date supermodels" and TSG's "I keep alchemy-ing virtual money into real currency" runs?

It's not alchemy, it's MATH(S)!

But not my math(s), I suck at math(s). It's corporate America's math(s), which explains the whole thing if you think about it.

Drachen596
November 5th, 2015, 10:56 AM
I only operate the finest automotive and motorcycling machinery...

When they arent broken.

Godson
November 5th, 2015, 04:42 PM
When in the last 2.5 years has the monster been 'broken'. And when was the 996 ever non operational from a mechanical failure?

(The answer is once)

On the monster when I first bought it.

sandydandy
November 6th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Fuck, my cell number is being spoofed. I'm starting to get callbacks from people who claim that I called them. Gotta change my number soon if this continues. I really like my number too. I've had it for over ten years. :mad:

Godson
November 6th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Blew a perfectly good opportunity to hook-up/hang out with an attractive chick tonight. FML.

Sad, little man
November 7th, 2015, 05:48 AM
To be fair, I'm an incredibly likable, caring, intelligent person, who is modestly attractive, owns a house and three cars, and has an individual income that is 10% higher than the median whole household income in my town. Intelligent supermodel types are basically my target dating demographic.

Kchrpm
November 7th, 2015, 06:21 AM
likable

Eehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

novicius
November 7th, 2015, 07:05 AM
:lol: :up:

Sad, little man
November 7th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Eehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

You've never actually met me... Trust me, it's one of those cases where I'm really different in real life. I just use this community as my emotional punching bag.

TheBenior
November 7th, 2015, 01:28 PM
I've met SLM, he's less irritating in real life as he judges you in silence :p

Kchrpm
November 7th, 2015, 11:17 PM
I'm sure he is, but it's just so much fun to make fun of his forum persona for what it is. None of us are exactly the same in person.

Godson
November 8th, 2015, 06:44 AM
Except Rob....

Alan P
November 8th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Why is it whenever I am waiting on the last bet of a triple or quad accumulator I always think about covering the final bet AFTER it's failed.

21Kid
November 9th, 2015, 09:41 AM
I've met SLM, he's less irritating in real life as he judges you in silence :p
+1

speedpimp
November 9th, 2015, 02:27 PM
+2

Yw-slayer
November 9th, 2015, 04:33 PM
To be fair, I'm an incredibly likable, caring, intelligent person, who is modestly attractive, owns a house and three cars, and has an individual income that is 10% higher than the median whole household income in my town. Intelligent supermodel types are basically my target dating demographic.

Only 10%?

thesameguy
November 9th, 2015, 04:54 PM
That made me look this up:

Household Income and Average Income in Sacramento County

Average Household Income $73,748

Median Household Income $58,322

Did not know.

Sad, little man
November 9th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Only 10%?
I'm only one man! :o

This is a pretty solidly family oriented town. I'm sure that most households here manage to support multiple people on 10% less than I make. All I have to support are me and my alcohol.

Godson
November 9th, 2015, 05:36 PM
I'm already over the 10% where I live. Average i need another 10kk/yr.

Random
November 9th, 2015, 07:44 PM
That made me look this up:

Household Income and Average Income in Sacramento County

Average Household Income $73,748

Median Household Income $58,322

Did not know.

Median household income in Yolo county is a tick short of $58k. Median HH income in Davis is $104k. Neat. We're a bit over 10% higher than the median...WHERE ARE OUR SUPERMODELS?!?! :mad:

Godson
November 9th, 2015, 07:46 PM
So one of the hot chicks I work with has a tinder account.... Trying to figure out that angle.

thesameguy
November 9th, 2015, 08:21 PM
Swipe left and let her know you did it. 2015's kick in the shin.

thesameguy
November 9th, 2015, 08:28 PM
Median household income in Yolo county is a tick short of $58k. Median HH income in Davis is $104k. Neat. We're a bit over 10% higher than the median...WHERE ARE OUR SUPERMODELS?!?! :mad:

I always knew Davis was uppity. That's why I can't hang there.

Is it weird I have no idea what our household income is? I know what I make, no idea what she makes. It's never even come up.

Random
November 9th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Just means you still file separately. :) And that you didn't need her income to qualify for your mortgage.

Those seem like the two times it would most likely come up, at least...

thesameguy
November 9th, 2015, 09:10 PM
Yeah - I bought this place solo... so that we could use her credit report for something else. Like a bugout villa in Somewhere, BFE. :up:

Kchrpm
November 10th, 2015, 03:56 AM
I hadn't actually looked before, I make about 50% more than the median household income for my town. But only one car :( NO SUPERMODELS FOR ME.

TheBenior
November 10th, 2015, 04:33 AM
I'm going to make more than double the median income for the city of Chicago, but I pulled a lot of OT this year. Also, given the vast disparities in wealth in the city (some census tracts are as low as $10k), knowing the median income for the city probably isn't as useful as it is for census tracts. If not for all the OT I did, I'd pretty much be right at the median for my census tract.

21Kid
November 10th, 2015, 05:40 AM
This map is pretty cool.

http://www.city-data.com/income/income-Chicago-Illinois.html

thesameguy
November 10th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Just for grins:

Household Income and Average Income in San Francisco:

Average Household Income $104,879

Median Household Income $77,734

Guess that explains Davis... :P

JoshInKC
November 10th, 2015, 07:03 PM
And she's gone now.

Sad story incoming :

So, my best friend Sandra hurt her back a few weeks ago(middle of Sept). Nothing major, just one of those "slept on it wrong" type things. Then, at the end of the Week, she had this book event /convention thing in Albuquerque, so she drove down there & back. The trip home just wrecked her, like bed rest, painkillers, and muscle relaxants, etc. It wasn't getting any better, so she went back to her doctor, who sent her in for an MRI last Wednesday. The MRI revealed that the pain was due to a tumor which caused a compression fracture in her lower back. Further scans revealed that she had tumors on her liver, kidneys, and bones and a variety of other organs and systems.

It's apparently "very aggressive" stage 4 adenocarcinoma, and they suspected, it had been inside her for about 1/2 a year. They initially gave her life expectancy of 6 months with radiation and chemo until her quality of life was too bad and they needed to switch over to palliative care. Radiation was supposed to start today, and in fact they were doing fresh imaging in preparation for the aiming tattoos. The imaging revealed that the number of masses on her liver had doubled, and the bone cancer has spread "faster than they've ever seen." It was agreed that with such rapid progression, the chemo and rad would be pointless and interfere with her QoL more that it would be worth. So now they're saying 3 months with a focus on pain management and hospice.

This is all a hell of a shock, because Sandra is by far the healthiest person I know. Even though she's 12 years older than me, I would have put money on her outliving me by decades, barring accidents, etc. Seriously, she literally runs ultramarathons for fun. In the past few years, she's published her first 3 novels to some acclaim and steadily increasing sales. To top it all off, she just got married to her long-time partner in March and they've just recently purchased some land in Asheville, NC to build a house on.

So that's where I'm at right now.

Leon
November 10th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Fuck cancer.

Sorry man.

Godson
November 10th, 2015, 08:01 PM
No words.
No words can fill the void.
No words can numb the sting.
No words can aid the lives she touched.

And yet as a society, we are bitching about Starbucks cups, and countless other first world 'problems.'.

This is what pisses me off.

Stabs. If you want to grab a beer and talk, just say the word and I'll be there.

TheBenior
November 10th, 2015, 09:27 PM

JoshInKC
November 11th, 2015, 03:46 AM
She got a nice obit on the local npr affiliate's webpage (http://kcur.org/post/kansas-city-novelist-sandra-moran-dies-46#stream/0).

sandydandy
November 11th, 2015, 05:23 AM

Sorry for your loss.

novicius
November 11th, 2015, 06:26 AM
Damn, she sounds like she was someone special -- very sorry to read this, Stabs. :(

21Kid
November 11th, 2015, 06:56 AM
:( ... that was fast. Sorry man :( Fuck Cancer.

speedpimp
November 11th, 2015, 01:36 PM
Income info for Elkhart, Indiana (http://www.city-data.com/income/income-Elkhart-Indiana.html)

Sorry to hear about your friend, Josh.

thesameguy
November 11th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Oh man that was quick. I hope she went peacefully and had the opportunity for goodbyes. That's about all you can ask for under such terrible circumstances. :(

George
November 11th, 2015, 02:32 PM
My condolences, Josh.

That is a nice obituary. That seems like an odd compliment, but I mean it sincerely.

JoshInKC
November 11th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Yeah, it is a nice obit. Still didn't capture 1/2 of how incredible she was.
Anyway, the memorial service ought to be good - Given our field, archaeologists tend to put the fun in funeral.

FaultyMario
November 12th, 2015, 07:08 AM
Big hug, Stabs.

And Fuck Cancer.

Alan P
November 12th, 2015, 08:51 AM
My condolences. She sounds like an amazing woman. :(

My lady friend is going into hospital to have her Gall Bladder removed. A relatively minor op these days but still some concern there. Hope she's going to be ok. :(

thesameguy
November 12th, 2015, 09:42 AM
A friend of mine had hers removed early last year. She had some, well, "complications" that nobody has really been able to quantify, but they were fully addressed with a self-prescribed change in diet. Beyond that, she's been a-ok and just got back from a camping trip to... wait for it... ICELAND.

Kchrpm
November 12th, 2015, 09:49 AM
I got mine out...two years ago? Three? No complications to speak of, no more late night agonizing pain!

thesameguy
November 12th, 2015, 11:00 AM
No pain? How do you even know you're alive then???

Kchrpm
November 12th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Late night orgasms.

thesameguy
November 12th, 2015, 11:12 AM
We talking nocturnal emissions, or.... ?

Kchrpm
November 12th, 2015, 11:25 AM
I said orgasms, I meant orgasms.

thesameguy
November 12th, 2015, 11:42 AM
:lol:

Drachen596
November 12th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Whose are they though?

Kchrpm
November 12th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Mine. How would someone else's orgasms let me know I'm alive? Don't be silly.

thesameguy
November 12th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Like, maybe you passed out at a party and then two drunks came in and started fornicating, and all their noisemaking woke you up and now you're irritated because you can't go back to sleep and you can't move for fear of alerting them to your presence and thinking you're a big perv, and the anxiety is frustrating and that's how you know you're alive. It happened to me, it can happen to anyone.

21Kid
November 12th, 2015, 12:54 PM
:lol:

thesameguy
November 13th, 2015, 03:36 PM
I use slotted screwdriver on Philips screws, because that way if one way strips out I still have the other.

FaultyMario
November 13th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Thinking of you, tsg

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/top-dog-skates-past-world-record-1.2427107

thesameguy
November 13th, 2015, 05:50 PM
That is awesome, plus, bulldog. I could never bring myself to buy a dog, especially a purebred, when so many puppies need homes, but if I ever found a bulldog that needed a home I don't think I could say no.

Leon
November 13th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Difficult to own English bulldogs here. They're one of the biker / criminal / drug gang "emblem" dogs, so they get stolen a lot.

Alan P
November 15th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Turns out they had to keep her in overnight as they had to fit a drain. Seems her Gall Bladder was at an 'acute' stage and the Surgeon was surprised she wasn't in agony. She's home now. :)

JoshInKC
November 16th, 2015, 07:11 PM
The memorial service was very nice - ~250 people in attendance, some really good eugoogolies, hard drinking afterwards. Her high school best friend, who's a touring singer, did a wonderful version of Time in a Bottle, and at the end brought the house down with one of Sandra's favorite songs, Wild World by Cat Stevens. To be one of 250 people sobbing in unison is kind of a weird experience.
Overall, it was a nice celebration and fitting tribute to what an amazing person she was. Just wish she could have been there.

21Kid
November 17th, 2015, 05:44 AM
:(/:)

Drachen596
November 25th, 2015, 12:00 AM
Vacation starts next week... either on Wednesday at the end of my shift or end on Friday.

depends on my decision. Do i leave them very short handed on Thursday and Friday or go in and work. They cant mandate me to work so i would be volunteering.

Alan P
November 25th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Vacation starts next week... either on Wednesday at the end of my shift or end on Friday.

depends on my decision. Do i leave them very short handed on Thursday and Friday or go in and work. They cant mandate me to work so i would be volunteering.

Is your volunteering likely to be remembered by someone so when you need a favour or need to start late/leave early they'll be OK with it? Would the other staff do the same for you if they were off? If the answer is 'no' and 'no' then fuck 'em.

Drachen596
November 25th, 2015, 08:50 PM
After the display of dumbassery tonight im not volunteering for anything.

Sad, little man
November 26th, 2015, 06:13 AM
I don't watch any TV anymore. I was keeping up with Walking Dead but now I've fallen hopelessly behind. I detest superhero movies and shows because they're based on absurd fantasies. And yet adults try to legitimize their interest in them by saying "Oh no, this one is different, totally adult themed, not kid's stuff at all."

I just started watching Lisa Jones because, well, :o

speedpimp
November 26th, 2015, 06:42 AM
Finished up JessJo. Now working on finishing up Narcos.

sandydandy
November 26th, 2015, 03:40 PM
My grandfather passed away at his home yesterday. He was 89. He was a good man. Very strong minded and independent all the way to the end. Never wanted to live with anyone, even in his twilight years. He and my grandmother lived together in their own apartment. They had a nurse come by periodically to check on them, (on him more, cause he was sick a lot in recent years). My aunt would visit him every week, and my mom sometimes as well.

He had a stroke in 1995 which caused his speech to slur and affected one side of his body. At the time I remember people were saying he would probably only live for five more years. Then in 2010 another doctor said he only had 8-10 months left. He defied them all.

89 years old yet he was on Facebook and regularly wrote a newsletter for his seniors' peer group. Tech savvy guy too, always went and got himself the latest gadget, whether he knew how to work it or not. He was a really independent guy, I have such respect for that. He bought a new suit a little while ago just for his funeral. Not only that, he paid for his own funeral in advance so nobody would be burdened. I think he knew the end was coming.

I'm going to miss him. I hadn't really visited my grandparents that much in the past few years, I wish I'd made more time for them. I feel sad for my grandma, she's in a state of shock and confusion, worried about what's going to happen to her life. She'll be living with my aunt from now on, but I'll miss going to their old apartment.

I've been sort of bottling up my emotions since yesterday. I'm due for an explosion, which will probably happen at the funeral on Saturday. Or at the viewing tomorrow night.

thesameguy
November 26th, 2015, 04:46 PM
Aw, man, I'm sorry to hear that. We must all be getting older as the frequency of these types of events is picking up. Wish your grandmother the best and definitely make an effort to check in on her. Being left behind is tough, and without real support from loved ones it can become a problem. Morbid though it may be, I hope that my dad goes before my mom - mom is in touch with her emotions and can work through them - dad is definitely a bottler and I honestly can't see him recovering if he lost my mom.

Godson
November 26th, 2015, 05:17 PM
I feel for you man. Very sorry to hear.

After I lost my last remaining grandparent in June of this year, is has been tough. Especially considering today is Thanksgiving and he always made an effort to ask me how work/school was going.

You know how to get in touch with me if you would like to talk.

TheBenior
November 26th, 2015, 06:35 PM
Sorry to hear.

I thought I'd be ready when my grandfather died a few years back (his health had been deteriorating for years and he basically chose to die by stopping dialysis), but when it happened, I wasn't.

Cam
November 26th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Sorry to hear. :(

FaultyMario
November 27th, 2015, 07:17 AM
My condolences.

sandydandy
November 27th, 2015, 07:18 AM
Thanks guys for the support.

Sorry to hear.

I thought I'd be ready when my grandfather died a few years back (his health had been deteriorating for years and he basically chose to die by stopping dialysis), but when it happened, I wasn't. That is remarkably similar to what I'm experiencing. Both in terms of my grandfather and his dialysis (which he hated) and my thinking I'll be ready for his eventual death.

21Kid
November 27th, 2015, 08:33 AM
:( Sorry for your loss.

FaultyMario
November 27th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Windowshopping on Blackfriday.

When will I ever have money for that Novation???

thesameguy
November 27th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Like a Launchpad?

FaultyMario
November 27th, 2015, 10:15 AM
like a Zero SL.