PDA

View Full Version : So this nursing school thing. Just a minor update.

Godson
January 28th, 2014, 09:28 PM
So, I am in my last semester of Nursing School at Graceland University. I have learned a lot, made friends, met people I don't like, and have grown a ton. I have seen things that have pushed me mentally like nothing could have prepared me. I have lived in Guatemala for 16 days because of school, seen babies born and watched people pass away. I guess I am just getting sentimental and all because half the class that I started with graduate this week, most have jobs, some have already passed boards. It's kinda surreal.

I have already started applying for jobs for when I graduate. Yeah, it's January and I can't even sit for boards until June at the earliest. 4 months of hell left in my Bachelors Nursing program before I am going to graduate, 4 months until I am going to acquire my license to practice, and 4 months until I am on my on and responsible for the lives of others like I have never been before. It's terrifying, but that excites me.

I have already applied for my first attempt for a job, and it's a Hail Mary pass for a dream career. I am wanting to work in the OR at one of the top Children's Hospitals in the US, and possibly in the World. It sucks trying to get in at this place because of the large pool of students that are graduating when they are, only hiring 50 Grad nurses, and trying to get an interview while in the middle of a semester when I am thinking school and not HR BS. It's kinda crazy.

I am just rambling now, but I think my message is in there somewhere.

Yw-slayer
January 29th, 2014, 12:06 AM
Good luck, bro.

Dicknose
January 29th, 2014, 04:09 AM
Big life changes!

And damn I graduated almost 30 years ago, 1985.

Good luck with it all,

novicius
January 29th, 2014, 06:30 AM
Yep, definitely good luck to you, Ty!

Godson
January 29th, 2014, 11:36 AM
And now I have the interview I want! OR nurse at the Children's Hospital!!!

Random
January 29th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Good luck!

You may find this amusing, or not, but the entire L&D experience for our latest kid, including the whole OR team, was almost all female. The only male doctor or nurse we saw in 3 days at the hospital was the anaethesiologist, who didn't actually do any of the work (there was a nurse anaethesiologist for that), just explained the procedure so that Mapper could give her consent.

ps. that was with Kaiser, FWIW. http://www.kaiserpermanentejobs.org/default.aspx ;)

Godson
January 29th, 2014, 12:19 PM
L&D is mostly female for certain reasons. I am doing my OB clinical rotation the first part of this semester, I have zero problems with any of it, but some patients don't like men around their 'kibbles and bits' for various reasons. It's all relative to me.

Godson
March 3rd, 2014, 09:40 AM
Sooooooooo....

I just accepted a position at my Dream Hospital in the Operating Room.

Cloud 9 right here bitches.

Crazed_Insanity
March 3rd, 2014, 09:44 AM
Congrats! :D

Demio Man
March 3rd, 2014, 10:05 AM
Fantastic :up:

21Kid
March 3rd, 2014, 10:11 AM
Nice! :D:up:

TheBenior
March 3rd, 2014, 10:19 AM
Wooooo!

thesameguy
March 3rd, 2014, 10:28 AM
"Dream Hospital" makes it sound like you'll be working with sexy nurses.

GreatScawt
March 3rd, 2014, 11:06 AM
Fucking. Awesome. :up:
Congrats!

Godson
March 3rd, 2014, 11:18 AM
"Dream Hospital" makes it sound like you'll be working with sexy nurses.

It's a Children's Hospital...

And I can say they hire attractive young nurses.

George
March 3rd, 2014, 11:35 AM
And maybe some attractive young mothers?

Oh, wait...

Either way, congratulations!

Dicknose
March 3rd, 2014, 11:49 AM
Cool

Yw-slayer
March 3rd, 2014, 03:27 PM
GET WASTED, BRO

speedpimp
March 3rd, 2014, 04:08 PM
Congrats.

G'day Mate
March 3rd, 2014, 06:35 PM
:up: :beer:

[edit] wtf? Didn't we have a beer emoticon?

Random
March 3rd, 2014, 07:44 PM
:toast:

G'day Mate
March 3rd, 2014, 09:22 PM
:toast:
:up:

Rare White Ape
March 4th, 2014, 12:24 PM
It's good to see hard work paying off. Congrats mate.

Godson
March 4th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys. It really means a lot to me. I am going to try and not boast too much, so if I do...well you are more than welcome to knock me down a few levels. :)

You guys are as much a part of my success as I am. I really do mean that. All the discussions we have here that make me think on the opposite side of conventionalism and really ask why even though good answers have already been given. Not to mention the effed up jokes you all throw around on a regular basis. It really has helped me stay loyal to where I have come from and mold me into who I am currently.

HondaKid86
March 21st, 2014, 06:21 AM
So proud of you. :)

I really love to hear when one of our own realizes their dreams. I've stayed in touch with a lot of the gang, and I think we've collectively done a good job of chasing destiny and finding happiness.

Sorry my business trip to KC was canceled. Next time I'm there, I hope we can sync up.

Godson
June 26th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Some of you may not have seen the post on FB, but I passed boards.

Kinda cheesing right now.

neanderthal
June 26th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Congratulations my brother. Good work.

Yw-slayer
June 26th, 2014, 07:00 PM
GET WASTED

G'day Mate
June 26th, 2014, 07:32 PM

21Kid
June 27th, 2014, 04:57 AM
Woot!

Mr Wonder
June 27th, 2014, 05:23 AM

stephenb
June 28th, 2014, 04:47 AM
Congrats, great to know someone out there is doing something they really want for a career and making a difference to peoples lives at the same time :up:

Alan P
June 28th, 2014, 03:20 PM
:random:

Conman
June 29th, 2014, 04:20 PM
That's a big deal. My wife is a RN and I know how stressful the boards were for her. Congrats.