PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones (potential spoilers! read at your own risk)

Pages : [1] 2 3

overpowered
February 18th, 2014, 10:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZY43QSx3Fk

Mortavian
February 18th, 2014, 11:19 PM
Finally, House Martell. :hard:

Dicknose
February 19th, 2014, 01:56 AM
Aus iTunes won't have it till the whole season has aired.
And they wonder why people pirate stuff!

Reverend Jim
February 19th, 2014, 06:33 AM
Spoiler, at the end of the whole series it is revealed that Hodor is a secret Targaryen and he will ascend to the throne of Westeros

His first royal proclamation will be "Hodor"

IMOA
February 19th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Starts the day after I get back to a big TV, a proper sound system and super fast internet. Sometimes the universe smiles your way.

tigeraid
February 19th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Can't wait to see the Red Viper on my TV screen.

And Jorah's epic Friendzone meltdown.

speedpimp
February 19th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Mayor Tommy "Little Finger" Carcetti is really good as a drug kingpin in Love/Hate.

overpowered
April 13th, 2014, 06:08 PM
I think I'm glad that I didn't read the books. It was cool to be surprised by tonight's ending.

G'day Mate
April 13th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Hi guys - just a reminder about spoilers, I think it goes without saying anyway but can we please be very, very careful not to reveal anything!

I love this show but it's way to confusing for me, so in order to understand everything I need to wait until the end of the season and then watch the whole thing back-to-back.

In fact, in the lead-up to this new season I've decided to watch all three previous seasons again. It's surprisingly re-watchable actually! Haven't felt bored at all, and now I understand how some people like Teacup, Dingus and Rimmer actually fit in to the whole thing.

neanderthal
April 13th, 2014, 09:53 PM
I think I'm glad that I didn't read the books. It was cool to be surprised by tonight's ending.

I read the books, coupla years ago, and didn't see that coming.

YESSSSSSS!!!!!

G'day Mate
April 13th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Grrr, don't sound happy! I'll start to think someone's stuck a sword up Joffrey's arse.

Fiat500
April 13th, 2014, 11:37 PM
G'day, you really shouldn't read this thread until you're up to date on the episodes.

I've read the books, and it is tricky enough to avoid spoilers as it is. Aired episodes should be fair game imo.

Edit: speaking of the books, anybody been paying any attention to how George's writing is coming along?

Leon
April 14th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Yeah, a new book would be nice :)

Freude am Fahren
April 14th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Yeah. Aired episodes shouldn't need spoiler tags. Though maybe we can put something in the thread title indicating show spoilers or something. Anything from the books not yet depicted on screen should be spoiler tagged though.

speedpimp
April 14th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Oberyn "The Model" Martell came in like a fucking pimp last week. Another board I post at has two threads for GOT. The "Maesters" thread for those who have read the books and compare the books to the series. The "Unsullied" thread is for those who only watch the show and erupted into an orgasmic explosion of hissy fits when those who had read the books discussed things in the books without spoiler tags.

Fiat500
April 14th, 2014, 02:27 PM
I don't know if it was because George RR wrote it, but the latest episode seemed to have taken the production quality up a notch or five.

overpowered
April 14th, 2014, 03:33 PM
https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t31.0-8/132422_10151947894576853_7546130653495604106_o.jpg

G'day Mate
April 14th, 2014, 03:39 PM
G'day, you really shouldn't read this thread until you're up to date on the episodes.

Actually, you're right.

And thanks to whoever updated the title

Phil_SS
April 14th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Color me extremely delighted by last nights ending. I have never read the books so I don't know what is going to happen. I take it as it comes in glorious HD.

Jason
April 14th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Last night's episode was spoiled for me about 6 months ago. It's going to be near impossible to avoid spoilers for this series, it seems those that read the books take particular joy in ruining for others.

Freude am Fahren
April 14th, 2014, 08:06 PM
The purple wedding was easy to let out. A big moment that people actually like, similar to one that just happened (red wedding), with someone people can't stop talking how much they hate.

IMOA
April 14th, 2014, 08:14 PM
I was surprised by last night and haven't had either of the two weddings spoiled, my impression is that those who have read the books have shown incredible restraint in not spoiling it for people who haven't.

While I did enjoy last night I do have a nagging feeling that it took out it's best villain but then again I assume someone else will step up to the plate and fill that role.

overpowered
April 14th, 2014, 08:24 PM
There's no shortage of villains in this story and it's the kind of story that can easily add more at any time.

Reverend Jim
April 15th, 2014, 08:36 AM

BIGGEST SPOILER EVER!!!

Fiat500
April 15th, 2014, 10:42 AM
The sword name suggestions gave me a chuckle.

("Stormbringer! ")

JoshInKC
April 15th, 2014, 11:45 AM
This show and the books would be A HELL of a lot cooler if Stormbringer and/or Mournblade showed up.

Damn, now I need to re-read the Elric books.

speedpimp
April 15th, 2014, 03:30 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/speedpimp/maegerypie.gif (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/speedpimp/media/maegerypie.gif.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/speedpimp/jaimepie.gif (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/speedpimp/media/jaimepie.gif.html)

Reverend Jim
April 15th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Needs more Hot Pie

tigeraid
April 15th, 2014, 07:01 PM
I was surprised by last night and haven't had either of the two weddings spoiled, my impression is that those who have read the books have shown incredible restraint in not spoiling it for people who haven't.

Yes, yes we have. Thank you.

While I did enjoy last night I do have a nagging feeling that it took out it's best villain but then again I assume someone else will step up to the plate and fill that role.

Ohhhh hohohoho, fuck no. I assure you. I will say, in non-spoilerish fashion, I really felt the episode was cleverly written to give you that suspicion that, while the Big Bad has kicked it, there are all SORTS of dickish assholes ready to take his place. His mother is the first that pops to mind of course.

Freude am Fahren
April 16th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Man ruins Game of Thrones with series of novels full of spoilers (http://undergroundmgzn.com/2014/04/15/man-ruins-game-thrones-series-novels-full-spoilers/)

speedpimp
April 17th, 2014, 05:04 PM
This goes along with the Iron Bubbles pic.

overpowered
April 18th, 2014, 09:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwGkL7Trjk8

overpowered
April 18th, 2014, 09:52 PM
So a douche at work implied to me that you could figure out by watching carefully who did the deed.

I watched it three times and couldn't figure it out.

So I succumbed to curiosity and looked it up on the internet. I wasn't exactly surprised at the culprit or the method. The culprit was definitely on my short list of suspects if only due to motive.

However, I watched again, and I still couldn't tell that that person was the one that had done it from watching the video sequence. The video leading up to the event does not give it away.

tigeraid
April 21st, 2014, 08:28 AM
So a douche at work implied to me that you could figure out by watching carefully who did the deed.

I watched it three times and couldn't figure it out.

So I succumbed to curiosity and looked it up on the internet. I wasn't exactly surprised at the culprit or the method. The culprit was definitely on my short list of suspects if only due to motive.

However, I watched again, and I still couldn't tell that that person was the one that had done it from watching the video sequence. The video leading up to the event does not give it away.

It does. Just gotta look at Sansa's chest.

overpowered
April 21st, 2014, 09:38 AM
I did, and you can see the culprit going for what is the poison, but not actually taking it.

I also don't see where it is delivered later.

speedpimp
April 21st, 2014, 01:31 PM

Jason
April 22nd, 2014, 03:09 AM
Surprised by Jaime's scene last episode... otherwise, pretty standard "set up" show, for things to come. Glad to see Kings Landing is now concerned about events in the North and the East though. :)

Yw-slayer
April 22nd, 2014, 03:46 AM
I am actually questioning whether it's worth my time/money to watch the show. It looks like the books should be SOOOO MUCH BETTER.

tigeraid
April 22nd, 2014, 08:07 AM
While I am USUALLY the snobby asshole who says the books are better--I prefer the show.

*gasp*

The books are long-winded, repetitive, and frankly boring in many, many places. Every sixth or seventh chapter is a page turner, a "need to know what happens next" thing, only for the next six chapters to bore you to tears. Especially in the later books. And then someone important dies and you go "OMFG!" and wait another nine years for a book.

I'm a fan, but I'm not a fan of his over-hypedness. I greatly prefer Patrick Rothfuss or Brandon Sanderson.

The show is much more succinct and more happens more efficiently.

JSGeneral
April 22nd, 2014, 10:13 AM
Surprised by Jaime's scene last episode...

Wake & Rape

JoshInKC
April 22nd, 2014, 12:49 PM
I am actually questioning whether it's worth my time/money to watch the show. It looks like the books should be SOOOO MUCH BETTER.
In real terms, they're both not bad. The books are overly long and have gotten increasingly meandering, but they flesh out a lot more of the world/characters' mentalities/background, but some of that extra material is crap- you'll have to get used to reading 5 page descriptions of what people are eating.
The tv show cuts out a lot of that fat (and will maybe/probably streamline some of the bullsh*t where Martin had no idea where he was going plotwise), but is also chock full of tits for the sake of having tits onscreen, and violence for the sake of having violence, so at times it feels really exploitative. But it does have some really good special effects and cool visuals, and some of the cast really kill it whenever they're onscreen.

And yes, Rothfuss is better, but way better than any of that sh*t is Steven Erikson's Malazan series. It's really beyond awesome, go read it.

overpowered
April 22nd, 2014, 12:56 PM
I am actually questioning whether it's worth my time/money to watch the show. It looks like the books should be SOOOO MUCH BETTER.I can't compare it since I haven't read it but the show is awesome. Great script. Great acting. Great scenery.

I just got the kindle version of the first book.

I've read the LotR and the Hobbit twice each and I still love the Jackson adaptations.

Dicknose
April 22nd, 2014, 02:05 PM
The tv show has differed from the books in a few places. Mostly for the better.
On tv - two major characters who interact at Harrenhal, in the book they are both there but never meet.
It's good tv, two strong characters, two strong actors and an interesting look at both of them.
Downside - the treatment of theon took more screen time than it needed.

They have differed enough that the tv show killed off a semi major character, who in the books is minor (only mentioned in reference, we don't meet them) but may become important.

speedpimp
April 22nd, 2014, 03:42 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/speedpimp/jaimeraperwit.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/speedpimp/media/jaimeraperwit.jpg.html)

neanderthal
April 22nd, 2014, 07:01 PM
While I am USUALLY the snobby asshole who says the books are better--I prefer the show.

*gasp*

The books are long-winded, repetitive, and frankly boring in many, many places. Every sixth or seventh chapter is a page turner, a "need to know what happens next" thing, only for the next six chapters to bore you to tears. Especially in the later books. And then someone important dies and you go "OMFG!" and wait another nine years for a book.

I'm a fan, but I'm not a fan of his over-hypedness. I greatly prefer Patrick Rothfuss or Brandon Sanderson.

The show is much more succinct and more happens more efficiently.

You nailed it about the verbosity.

Yw-slayer
April 22nd, 2014, 07:06 PM
They have differed enough that the tv show killed off a semi major character, who in the books is minor (only mentioned in reference, we don't meet them) but may become important.

Fair enough, I suppose it's still worth my while watching the show, when I have more time. Perhaps after I've finished Book 4.

As someone who is blasting through the books in order, I agree that there are parts of the books which are a bit boring, but they do flesh out things far more thoroughly.

It is true that there is a fair amount of repetition, especially when D keeps reminding herself of her 7-10 titles. I suppose some of it could be for "new readers" or to help old readers pick up old threads/characters given that the books were released several years apart. The excuse for D might be that the 7-10 titles are necessary to remind her of what she was, and give the character motivation (as well as explain it).

The thing that really irritates me about the books are some - admittedly very few - jarring modernisms. It is not as bad as LOTR, where every discussion sounds like Oxford dons having a philosophical debate (when they're not singing their stupid, albeit probably context-correct, songs). However, I doubt whether a medieval knight would ever have said something like "Let's do this", and it's very irritating to see something like that when most of the rest of the dialogue suits the context.

Having said that, who doesn't want to read descriptions of medieval feasts? That stuff is awesome and is obviously a reward in itself. Having said that, when I first started reading I did wonder why they didn't talk about the food, but now he has gone into detail about it there are places where he has gone slightly over the top.

Another thing I do like is the books' portrayal of medieval fog of war, and of course scheming, both of which are acceptable, without being overly realistic and staunching the flow of the narrative.

Leon
April 22nd, 2014, 08:49 PM
the books make it easier to skip the mind numbingly boring Dany scenes :)

Yw-slayer
April 22nd, 2014, 09:37 PM
Funnily enough, I find the Dany chapters to be some of the highlights of the books. The best are obviously the Tyrion ones.

Dicknose
April 22nd, 2014, 11:25 PM
The books are also long-winded on what the people are wearing, especially details on the banners/crests. Yes its an important part of their culture and they might care about it, but doesnt mean I want to spend that much time reading it (which I didnt, I tend to skip ahead)
The tv just shows you, its up to you if you want to be interested and note the details of each.
But the books go on with "up rides a knight, he has shiny armour with intricate blobs on it, the crest is hand with middle finger raised" (except it takes 10 times as long, but I dont want to boar(!) you)

Funny thing was re-watching the scene between Loras and Sansa, where Loras is going on about what everyone will wear to the wedding, just highlights the emphasis on the books on what people are wearing (I dont care, just kill them and say "blood soaked cloak")

harper
April 23rd, 2014, 12:19 AM
Yeah, I just finished book three and it seems like shit is spiraling out of GRRM's control. Too many plot lines, too many characters, gonna be interesting to see if things get better or worse when I finally get to 4 and 5 (spoiler: I doubt they will. I've heard things get kinda bad).

The TV series cuts out the bullshit, makes acceptable changes to the details for the sake of characterization. For example, they make Tywin Lannister the lord who holds Harrenhal for the entire time Arya is there, and they make her his cupbearer as well (though obviously he doesn't realize who she is), and it allows for her to be in servitude and run around Harrenhal but also allows you to meet Tywin Lannister and his cold, cunning ways much earlier. It works out well. This nonsense this week is the first time there's been a big issue with how the book and shows are different from my memory.

Daavos is one of the better POV characters in my opinion too.

Dicknose
April 23rd, 2014, 01:04 AM
I actually thought Tywin with Arya showed him to be more than just a cunning bastard, he actually had glimpses of affection/admiration for her. It let you see a better side of him while he was still being ruthless. Its always good to see a nice side to the bad guys.
And I thought it was done very well - bits turned into a battle between two people playing their own little game of thrones (well at least trying to steal info out of each other)
The book was a lot more drawn out and basically a lot more dull.
I think this was a big improvement, condensed a lot but also improved it.

G'day Mate
May 2nd, 2014, 07:06 AM
Alright, I've finally started watching season four, have seen the first two episodes and ... woohoo!!

So, do you guys know who done it? I can't read too far into this thread yet (not past Apr 20th) but, well, first I thought it was Teacup, but that's the obvious choice, then I thought it was Lannister, but then I realised that the fool guy obviously knew something so I don't know. Perhaps it was So-and-so herself?

Freude am Fahren
May 2nd, 2014, 08:18 AM
Come back to the thread when you've caught up to all the episodes that have aired, and we can discuss ;)

overpowered
May 2nd, 2014, 08:55 AM
Come back to the thread when you've caught up to all the episodes that have aired, and we can discuss ;)+1

G'day Mate
May 3rd, 2014, 07:00 AM
Aha! It was Littlefinger. Up to the end of ep 3 now. I wonder what's going to become of Lannister

overpowered
May 3rd, 2014, 09:59 AM
http://www.nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/disney_got_tyrion_lannistersized.jpg

http://www.nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/disney_got_jon_snowfeat.jpg

G'day Mate
May 4th, 2014, 03:49 AM
Oh, ok, it was Teapot (grandmother of Teacup) who did it. Well played.

G'day Mate
May 6th, 2014, 05:51 AM
Oh man, I was all excited for a family reunion but Stumbles just turned his back and headed north again

Yw-slayer
May 6th, 2014, 06:48 AM
I've finally finished all of the books. Now I need to get to watching S01E03, LOL.

Reverend Jim
May 9th, 2014, 07:22 AM

BIGGEST SPOILER EVER!!!

To the tune of Game Of Thrones theme song

Kitties, kitty kitties, kitty kitties, kitty kitties
One kitty next to other
Fuckin kitties
Shitrock and Purr Machine
Are like brothers
Fuckin kitties, kitty kitties kitty kitties kitty kitties
Hodor and Hot Pie
Know what they aren't?
Fuckin kitties
Lannisters and Starks
They're all cocksuckers
I like kitties
Fuckin kitties, kitty kitties, kitty kitties

overpowered
May 18th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Tonight's ending put a smile on my face.

Yw-slayer
May 18th, 2014, 10:44 PM
So you had a...

HAPPY ENDING?

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

JSGeneral
May 19th, 2014, 04:10 AM
I have always been amazed with Peter Dinklage's skill of handling the role of Tyrion throughout this entire show. This character has a fascinating story and PD is exceptional at portraying all the cunning and emotions that weave this persona. That said.... These past few episodes he's been knocking it out of the park. The feelings of Betrayal, Despair, Self-Loathing, and Anger have all been wonderfully shown on his face and in his words. But there was another level last night he took it to when he was being told the tale of what happened to him in his crib. Without saying a word, he showed the worst kind of pain he had ever felt throughout the entire series.

I'm really liking this character. That must mean he's going to die soon. :(

G'day Mate
May 19th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Oh great, now ugly guy and blah-blah are going to get to sky-door but little finger would've whisked so-and-so away already. The Starks suck at family reunions.

Yw-slayer
May 19th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Tyrion is one of the best (IMO) characters in any fantasy novel, ever. Perhaps THE best.

TheBenior
May 19th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Dating advice I learned from Lord Petyr Baelish from this week's Game of Thrones: To get to 1st base quickly, tell her how hot you were for her mother before going in for the kiss.

Also, it helps to say that you could've been her father.

overpowered
May 19th, 2014, 09:49 PM
:lol:

G'day Mate
May 19th, 2014, 10:06 PM

G'day Mate
May 19th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Pity you can't make an inline poll.

Who do you think's going to win the trial by combat fight? It's gotta be Oberyn, doesn't it?

Yw-slayer
May 20th, 2014, 12:13 AM
Read the books, god, you guys are SOOOOOOOOOOO behind the times.

JSGeneral
May 20th, 2014, 03:48 AM
Read the books, god, you guys are SOOOOOOOOOOO behind the times.

[Lazy-Hipster]And ruin the TV version?!?![/Lazy-Hipster]

Jason
May 20th, 2014, 03:53 AM
Pity you can't make an inline poll.

Who do you think's going to win the trial by combat fight? It's gotta be Oberyn, doesn't it?

I think as this show has shown (and book series ;P), it doesn't have to be anyone. The hero doesn't always win in Westeros, and that's kinda fun :)

G'day Mate
May 20th, 2014, 05:10 AM
I know. I'm afraid for the hero, which is awesome :D

Yw-slayer
May 20th, 2014, 06:02 AM
[Insistent Hipster]OMG, I passed this point in the books SEVERAL WEEKS AGO. You're all a bunch of n00bz.[/Insistent Hipster]

tigeraid
May 20th, 2014, 12:15 PM
I too have read the books. I will withhold hipster-ness though.

Petyr Baelish might be my favourite character in all of Fantasy. He just oozes smarmy douchiness and cunning intelligence all at the same time. Even the shitty shitty accent works perfectly. Fucking love him.

Freude am Fahren
May 20th, 2014, 12:50 PM
The most hipster thing you can do these days is sarcastically pretend to be a hipster...

Baelish is an interesting character. In the books, he's a very interesting character, though a lot of that interest is though context. Gillen's portrayal of him started out great but turned kinda comical, or over-the-top. The guy that reviews the episodes over at Westeros.org compared him to a Disney villain that twirls his thin mustache. I kinda agree with him. Though he has some moments where he turns it down and it's a lot better.

G'day Mate
June 2nd, 2014, 03:33 AM
I don't get it, it's a draw and he still has to die?

IMOA
June 2nd, 2014, 06:09 AM
One bloke was (just) standing, the other bloke had an exploded head. I don't think it was a draw.

G'day Mate
June 2nd, 2014, 06:19 AM
Well, yeah, but then they were both dead and dead's dead. Actually right up until his head exploded I thought that Prince Dorn was still somehow going to win but just be blind and toothless. Now I'm hoping that Little Lannister escapes somehow.

Dicknose
June 2nd, 2014, 07:12 AM
One bloke was (just) standing, the other bloke had an exploded head. I don't think it was a draw.

The black knight would call that a draw.
Sorry wrong show/movie.

Blerpa
June 2nd, 2014, 08:09 AM
DAMN.

overpowered
June 2nd, 2014, 03:19 PM
I think that the rule is that the first one to die loses. The Mountain lasted a few seconds more.

overpowered
June 2nd, 2014, 03:24 PM

Leon
June 2nd, 2014, 03:58 PM
In the book, who won?

I vaguely recall that the viper used a poison weapon in the book, so you were left guessing as to if the Mountain died or not (presuming that in fact he didn't die, because in the books it really would be fitting if the Hound storyline is finalised by he and the Mountain finally having the "little chat to clear the air" about their differences).

tigeraid
June 2nd, 2014, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure how book spoiler-ish we're getting in this thread, so I'll just say that no, he's not technically dead.

Jason
June 2nd, 2014, 05:58 PM
Sigh.

This show has basically killed off every character I've liked so far.

It's good television, but it's starting to just feel too down.

Leon
June 2nd, 2014, 06:03 PM
Sigh.

If the books are anything to go by, they will stop killing people, and it will become a series about kittens and roses*

*may or may not be a complete lie.

overpowered
June 2nd, 2014, 06:56 PM
I will say that I liked the choreography of the fight.

I wanted Oberyn to prevail. I wouldn't necessarily say he's my favorite character but he did add something interesting to the mix. I'm hoping Tyrion somehow manages to escape but at this point, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that GRRM kills every character that I like.

This was the 3rd actor to play the Mountain in this series. At 6'9", he's also the shortest. The last one was 7'1" but not as massive.

IMOA
June 2nd, 2014, 07:24 PM
Sigh.

Arya's still alive

So is everyone's favourite imp fwiw (OK, probably not for long)

And hot interpreter chick got her tits out.

There's still things to watch for

neanderthal
June 2nd, 2014, 10:31 PM
Arya's still alive

So is everyone's favourite imp fwiw (OK, probably not for long)

And hot interpreter chick got her tits out.

There's still things to watch for

True.

And hot interpreter chic is achingly hot.

harper
June 3rd, 2014, 03:37 AM
In the book about the fight,

Oberyn does use a weapon with a poisoned blade -- to insure that, even if he loses the fight, The Mountain has a long, very painful death. Apparently The Mountain is laid up somewhere inside the Red Keep wailing in agony for while. But yeah, Oberyn gets even less time in the books then he did in this season of the show, and that's kind of a shame, since he's a pretty cool character.

Also, we have two more episodes yes? I wonder...

I think it's confirmed that next week is at The Wall, so I wonder how far in time that will go. As well, I wonder how much of the final sections of Book 3 they're going to include in the end of this season...

I was really geeked for the season but it started a bit slow...but god has it picked up steam throughout.

JoshInKC
June 3rd, 2014, 04:53 AM
My favorite part of the episode was when the Hound and Arya got to the Bloody Gate and Arya reacts to the news about her aunt.
Seriously, I'm really bummed that the Arya/Hound team up is almost over on the show. Those two actors have amazing chemistry and bounce off of each other so well.
Of course, part of that might be that Maisie Williams is maybe the best actor on the show, and is certainly the best discovery in the cast.

Leon
June 3rd, 2014, 01:02 PM
it doesn't hurt that she got one of the better parts too ... imagine if she was the actress playing Sansa, she's barely be a blip on the acting radar then, as until this last episode all Sansa really got to do was look worried or picked on.

JoshInKC
June 3rd, 2014, 02:33 PM
Point. The chick who plays Sansa does very well with what they give her, but they don't give her much.

Yw-slayer
June 3rd, 2014, 07:28 PM
Sansa is just a very irritating person throughout most of the books, so I'm not too surprised.

IMOA
June 3rd, 2014, 07:37 PM
I've always seen Sansa as a waste of space but in this last episode she was pretty good and looks like she might become something genuinely interesting.

Leon
June 3rd, 2014, 08:54 PM
Yup, her character is pathetic in the books.

Dicknose
June 4th, 2014, 05:03 AM
Problem with Sansa is that she is what the ideal women was suppose to be, pretty and doing their sewing.
But most of the other female roles are so much more, clever, powerful, devious, driven.
And they do it in different ways.

Sansa pales into insignificance against a number of interesting female roles.
Actually the female roles are generally quite good, it's far from a bunch of helpless excuses for men to come to their rescue.

harper
June 4th, 2014, 05:53 AM
Well yeah, but that's the point of Sansa. She's the silly naive girl with a head full of romantic songs, she has to learn shit The Hard Way. I don't know if this episode pulled stuff from later book(s) in for that scene at the Eyrie, but it's a change I'm really glad to see happen.

Leon
June 4th, 2014, 03:36 PM
That all said, the day the actress who plays Sansa gets naked, that will be the day I end up checking into the nearest hospital with "severe chafing".

Redheads > all.

Jason
June 4th, 2014, 03:42 PM
That all said, the day the actress who plays Sansa gets naked, that will be the day I end up checking into the nearest hospital with "severe chafing".

Redheads > all.

Good thing for you she turned 18 in February :|

Leon
June 4th, 2014, 03:53 PM
16 is legal in NZ.

A very very very bad idea, but still legal.

Hell, the under 25 year olds I know are all still fricken mental in the brains.

tigeraid
June 4th, 2014, 04:00 PM
I agree with the kiwi one.

speedpimp
June 4th, 2014, 04:04 PM

Redheads > all.

Sorry, mate, but her hair is now dark.

G'day Mate
June 4th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Speaking of Lord Ped-master Baelish, I reckon I'm on the way to hating him even more than Joffrey.

speedpimp
June 4th, 2014, 04:31 PM
He was really good in Love/Hate.

G'day Mate
June 4th, 2014, 05:16 PM
I've gone back to hating Lady Lannister too - felt sorry for her for a bit after Joffrey went off the rails but she's gone back to being an evil, vengeful bitch again.

overpowered
June 4th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I don't know. Of late I've been liking him. He's still evil, of course, but his evil has been directed primarily at characters I hate.

Can't forget season 1 though. That's hard to forgive, and taking out Joffrey had some bad side effects.

G'day Mate
June 4th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Do (or will) we know who was really pulling the strings behind Joffrey's murder?

Leon
June 4th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Do (or will) we know who was really pulling the strings behind Joffrey's murder?

Didn't they say quite specifically in one of the following episodes that is the queen of thorns

G'day Mate
June 4th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Well I know that both of those were involved but I can't remember whose idea it was in the first place.

JoshInKC
June 5th, 2014, 04:44 AM
It's been awhile since I read the books- But as I recall that wasn't firmly established, but all textual indications are that Emma Peel was the driving force.

TheBenior
June 5th, 2014, 05:18 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10308055_10154166410220696_4123849995498614594_n.j pg

overpowered
June 5th, 2014, 09:26 AM
https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/10321013_10102392955180464_8339500686800915789_o.j pg

overpowered
June 5th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Recently realized that there's an HBO GO app for PS3. I re-watched the first episode of the first season and it was interesting how many things I picked up on that I didn't notice originally.

For example, Daenerys gets into a hot bath and the maid tries to stop her because it's too hot and she gets in anyway, having no reaction to the heat. It seemed irrelevant when I first saw this episode. Now it's foreshadowing.

Also, noticing various characters that are barely there in this episode but have more significant roles later like Theon and the Hound. Even Hodor's there. Completely forgot that Ned had a brother in the Night's Watch.

G'day Mate
June 8th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Damn, there goes another one of the characters I like. Fun to look at too :(

Yw-slayer
June 8th, 2014, 10:47 PM
For example, Daenerys gets into a hot bath and the maid tries to stop her because it's too hot and she gets in anyway, having no reaction to the heat. It seemed irrelevant when I first saw this episode. Now it's foreshadowing.

Dude, you need to use her full, 50-word long title. Else it doesn't count.

overpowered
June 8th, 2014, 11:03 PM
She didn't have her long title yet at that point in the story.

JSGeneral
June 9th, 2014, 04:52 AM
That was a well executed and paced battle! I really enjoyed it... and by not reading the books... I was at the edge of my seat not knowing what was going to happen next. That said, there were a couple of issues I had with the episode:

- The long one shot scene of the battle inside Castle Black was a bit too CGI for me. It felt like watching one of those scenes from The Lord of the Rings movies where the camera is far off and showing the party scrambling away from enemies in a cave. The close up battle scenes were MUCH more thrilling and believable.
- That said, much of the CGI was quite good. I couldn't tell who acted better when faced with the loss of their loved one... Jon Snow... or that Ice Giant. :)

Yw-slayer
June 9th, 2014, 06:21 AM
She didn't have her long title yet at that point in the story.

So what, you're RUINING THE ILLUSION, MAN

overpowered
June 9th, 2014, 01:15 PM
https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10403002_10152503873294617_8304877178584804645_n.j pg

speedpimp
June 9th, 2014, 02:39 PM
There was a scene a few weeks back where Dani said that she would do what a queen does and rule. At that very moment I thought she was going to break into a GOT version of "Royals".

TheBenior
June 9th, 2014, 03:17 PM
- The long one shot scene of the battle inside Castle Black was a bit too CGI for me. It felt like watching one of those scenes from The Lord of the Rings movies where the camera is far off and showing the party scrambling away from enemies in a cave. The close up battle scenes were MUCH more thrilling and believable.
I've got each season on Blu-ray, and the extra resolution/reduced compression made The Wall's CGI nature very apparent relative to HBO GO streaming or torrent sources.

Jason
June 9th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Important to remember, it is a tv show.

TheBenior
June 9th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Indeed. A buddy of mine was saying that they could should do more episodes per season, and I said, "At $6 million+ per episode, I'm not sure they can afford to. Sets, effects, and filming on location in multiple locations doesn't come cheap."

harper
June 10th, 2014, 12:20 AM
I thought it was a decently done way to combine two battles into one. (In the book, one group comes first, and then the other. Take a guess as to who dies first!) I like how they earned John Snow's leadership role, and I like how it ended to set things up. I'm wondering if things at The Wall will be wrapped up next episode, or tabled until next season...

G'day Mate
June 10th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Next season I reckon. I think they'll wrap up a little Lannister (I hope he escapes) and that's about it. So-and-so and Blah-blah might reunite, John Snow will wander north, we'll probably see Stannis and Stumbles because they've been quiet for a few episodes and something might happen across the narrow sea, and most of it will just make us grumpy about having to wait another year. That's my theory.

Freude am Fahren
June 10th, 2014, 06:57 AM
BOOK SPOILERS THAT WILL RUIN THE NEXT EPISODE!!!

I'm pretty sure Stannis will come to save the day this season. I think there were clips of him running through the forest on a horse.

Also I like the quick shot of a crossbow sneaking through a door in the preview for episode 10. Mostly meaningless to unsullied. Completely clear to those that have read it. (Do we have a cool little nickname?)

tigeraid
June 10th, 2014, 07:26 AM
I suspect Stannis will save the Wall's day in the finale yes. Either that or to start the next season.

Really loved the Scythe.

JoshInKC
June 10th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Watched the most recent ep last night and it was driving me crazy.
Both my wife and I were shouting at the tv during the scenes with the battle on the north side of the wall. Seriously - When you're standing on top of an impregnable wall 700 ft high and trying to stop people from getting from one side to another, you really don't need to do much at all. There's no need to hang off the top on ropes and shoot arrows at people climbing - dump barrels of water on them instead. If that doesn't make them fall, they'll probably die of hypothemia before they reach the top.
The main thing was "Why are you letting the f*cking giants and mammoths get anywhere near the gate?!?! You dump burning oil on them as soon as they're anywhere near it! Don't let them touch it!" Seriously, the watch was standing around like a bunch of @ssholes watching these guys screw around with the one single point they need to defend! I'm pretty sure that I could keep them on the north side with at most 10 guys for as long as we had food, it'd be about the easiest thing in the world.
Really, with magic 700' wall on your side and a single cross-through point, the only thing you really need to worry about is other magic.
The giants did look cool though.
Also, everytime Tormund Giantsbane was onscreen after that first scene, I couldn't help thing "Bearf*cker! Do you need assistance?"
I know it is mostly to make things easier on the sfx crew and to add drama to a tv show, but still...

tigeraid
June 10th, 2014, 12:28 PM
I'll remind everyone that the "magic" in the magic wall is to keep the white walkers out. The magic doesn't do anything against normal humans (or giants.)

As for their general halfassed-ness at defending the wall, there's only like a hundred of them (divided up to defend both sides of the wall), they're not particularly disciplined, and until Snow took over, they weren't really getting orders worth a shit either.

speedpimp
June 10th, 2014, 03:02 PM
BOOK SPOILERS THAT WILL RUIN THE NEXT EPISODE!!!

I'm pretty sure Stannis will come to save the day this season. I think there were clips of him running through the forest on a horse.

Also I like the quick shot of a crossbow sneaking through a door in the preview for episode 10. Mostly meaningless to unsullied. Completely clear to those that have read it. (Do we have a cool little nickname?)

At Death Valley Driver, those who haven't read are The Unsullied and those who have read are The Maesters.

Leon
June 11th, 2014, 01:10 AM
I've just started re-watching from the start ... fun to go back and suddenly have the penny drop on things that are relevant to the future of the characters.

Kingslayer saying to Tyrion that he'd rather die than be a cripple

The story Cersei tells of how her first son who died had black hair just like Robert Baratheon ....

This is only part way through episode two, I wonder how many other moments there shall be as I keep watching.

Yw-slayer
June 11th, 2014, 02:07 AM
The story Cersei tells of how her first son who died had black hair just like Robert Baratheon ....

I must say that I don't remember this in the books, so it caught me by surprise.

overpowered
June 15th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Interesting that the Mountain appears to die from poison some time after the battle rather than from his wounds, which seemed quite serious during the battle. Apparently Martell wanted to make sure that even if he lost, if he at least managed to get a slice in somewhere, he'd still take down the Mountain. GRRM's mind is a scary thing.

Brienne vs the Hound was awesome. Gwendoline Christie seems almost as big as Rory McCann.

Arya leaving the Hound was cold but well deserved.

Yay Tyrion.

Since she's gone, even though she didn't have much in this episode, I'd like to say that Sibel Kekilli did one of the best acting jobs in a mainstream role over the course of her run in the show that I've seen from a former porn star. Former porn stars are almost never good in real acting roles. She was pretty good.

On HBO GO I recently watched the episode where Arya was told to show the coin to someone from Braavos and say "valar morghulis" so I was saying it before she said it.

Maisie Williams and Isaac Hempstead-Wright seem to be a bit old for their characters at this point. Time in the story isn't going quite as fast as time in real life/production.

Having to wait for next season will still be torture, but the cliff hangers weren't quite as bad as some of the previous season enders.

overpowered
June 16th, 2014, 01:42 AM
http://cdn.diply.com/img/cb62f076-5ad8-49fa-bc6a-14a033310577.jpg

http://cdn.diply.com/img/ed9d04e8-376a-45f0-8f46-e98be19fd8a9.jpg

Leon
June 16th, 2014, 01:57 AM
Excellent final.

Hell of a fight between Brienne and the Hound.

Though of course as we don't actually see the Hound die (and then actually stay dead), never of course rule out his return.

Tyrion on the killing spree, all for love, was just awesome.

G'day Mate
June 16th, 2014, 02:34 AM
Great show :up:

Valar morghulis.

G'day Mate
June 16th, 2014, 02:40 AM
So why didn't Blah-blah finish off ugly guy? Could she not bring herself or did she deliberately leave him to a crueler fate?

overpowered
June 16th, 2014, 03:02 AM
Pretty sure it was deliberate to make his suffering more drawn out. Remember that he was on her list due to him murdering the butcher's son.

Dicknose
June 16th, 2014, 03:03 AM
Since she's gone, even though she didn't have much in this episode, I'd like to say that Sibel Kekilli did one of the best acting jobs in a mainstream role over the course of her run in the show that I've seen from a former porn star. Former porn stars are almost never good in real acting roles. She was pretty good.

She as in porn, but I'd don't think she was a "star".
Certainly not in the way that she got into traditional movies due to being in porn.

From what (little) I read her porn career came to light after she got fame as an actress.
I don't know how extensive it was. Is "career" the right term if it's something you did for a short while?

overpowered
June 16th, 2014, 03:09 AM
IAFD's got a dozen titles for her:

http://www.iafd.com/person.rme/perfid=Dilara/gender=f

EGAFD's got more than that:

http://www.egafd.com/actresses/details.php/id/d00099

I think that qualifies. Note that these DB sites tend to under report so there's probably more out there.

Dicknose
June 16th, 2014, 05:06 AM
The point being more that her break into mainstream was not due to porn
Or at least that is what was reported.
She wasn't a star, in terms of fame, rather than volume of work.

Then again I'm not a porn expert. The only porn star I know by name is Sydney Moon.
And that was from googling local lunar eclipses!

JSGeneral
June 16th, 2014, 07:27 AM

overpowered
June 16th, 2014, 08:59 AM
She wasn't a star, in terms of fame, rather than volume of work.The word "star" the context of "porn star" has little to do with fame and more to do with the fact that they've starred in pornos, which she has.

21Kid
June 16th, 2014, 09:57 AM
- That said, much of the CGI was quite good. I couldn't tell who acted better when faced with the loss of their loved one... Jon Snow... or that Ice Giant. :)

That Ice Giant was not CGI. He is former Basketball player, Neil Fingleton (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-06-09/game-of-thrones-giant-north-carolina-basketball-neil-fingleton-unc-photo). ;)

One of those giants, who made his way to the inner gate at the wall, was played by former North Carolina and Holy Cross big man Neil Fingleton.
Fingleton has found a bit of a niche in the acting world, also appearing in "47 Ronin" and "X-Men: First Class." In case you're wondering, Fingleton stands somewhere between 7-6 and 7-8, depending on what online resource you trust. He was a member of the 2000 McDonald's All-American team.

Jason
June 16th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Wonderful finale.

I had, read a long time ago, about "the children" on a GoT wiki, when I was looking to understand the backstory a bit more. Wasn't expecting them to actually show up since the wiki basically said they all died out. :)

Wasn't expecting the results of the entire Lannister family, or the Hound losing.

It was kinda weird (and frankly really nice) that the episode wasn't a constant heart break like all the other episodes seem to be. It was nice to have a "good guy" win a little. I'm sure next season we'll be back to everyone we like dying. :P

overpowered
June 16th, 2014, 08:31 PM
That Ice Giant was not CGI. He is former Basketball player, Neil Fingleton (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-06-09/game-of-thrones-giant-north-carolina-basketball-neil-fingleton-unc-photo). ;)The giants seemed at least a few feet taller than 7'8". WoFaI says 10-12 feet which is about what they looked like on screen. I think that there's some sort of CGI or camera trickery to get the scale.

G'day Mate
June 16th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Same tricks they used to make hobbits look really small I suppose

harper
June 16th, 2014, 11:54 PM
I'm disappointed that ONNNNEEE THING didn't make it in this season but I'm not terribly shocked. It's a storyline that's pretty good in the book but was sacrificed more in the show.

I see some fans upset with the ending, mostly book fans. I haven't read books 4 and 5 (because I've heard they're kinda muddled messes) but I honestly loved the episode. The show is growing into something different, and considering how convoluted things are getting in the books that's probably for the better. It sets the scenes nicely for the next season, and I have no clue what they'll touch on but they're already dabbling in stuff from further afield. I might try to dig into books 4 and 5 soon but I think I'm overdue a GoT break :lol:

Freude am Fahren
June 17th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I tried thinking about this episode as if I hadn't read the books, and I think for those it was outstanding. Having read I think it's still good.

Book Spoilers about changes
Not upset about the Epilogue from ASOS not being in the season. It would have made for one hell of a cliffhanger/WTF moment. Perhaps some consideration was made for a key actor in that storyline currently having a starring role on another series right now?

A point I've seen noticed elsewhere is the lack of the Tysha storyline for Tyrion, and thus, the complete change in the way he leaves Jaime. In the book, he finds out the truth from Jaime, which makes him lose the only person he thought he still had in Westeros. Making his leaving much more purposeful. In both ways: no one in Westeros, and looking for Tysha by figuring out "the place where whores go," which is father tells him is where she is now. The killing of Tywin doesn't need that added bit, given Shae and everything else, but it was an important motivation for Tyrion's new "quest".

tigeraid
June 17th, 2014, 10:55 AM
To be honest, I agree. I'm finding the show much easier to follow and more methodical than the books. Not that GRRM won't pull it all together in the end, if he doesn't die.

I absolutely loved that fight scene. Fucking brutal, and real. Since it doesn't happen in the books and Brienne kind of disappears in the books (up to this point), I didn't know who was going to win. At first I thought "well Brienne's gonna die here, she's not dirty enough." And then she bit his ear off. Game on! Tremendous stuff, and a great counterpoint to the fancy-pants high fantasy fight Oberyn and the Mountain had.

It's also refreshing to see her treated as an equal throughout that scene, other than Hound's offhand "bitch" this and "bitch" that. She kicked his ass.

I was perfectly fine with that change from the books, because in the end we still get The Hound "gravely wounded but possibly alive" and we still have "Arya going off to Bravos" and we still have "Brienne and Pod walking around being awesome." It still works while also giving us the badass season-ending fight.

It's a shame there weren't more "Lannisters shitting gold" jokes throughout the show--it makes Tywin's demise much more ironic.

One thing I'm a little worried about is that we didn't see Tyrion reveal to Jamie that Cersei's been fucking Lancel. And all those other idiots. In fact it's barely been seen, I wonder if they're just letting that go by the wayside. Which is odd, because if they continue to follow the book's basic guidelines for her, Jamie ends up splitting off because of that. I suppose someone else can still reveal it....

Loved Snow and Mance's tense meeting. And now we see how Dani staying in Mireen to free the slaves ("doing the right thing") instead of going after the Iron Throne ("going after her destiny") is mirrored by Stannis deciding to do the right thing and go North to fight the REAL threat, instead of going after the Iron Throne. Very interesting.

tigeraid
June 17th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Also:

https://i.imgur.com/nKZV1hF.jpg

Leon
June 17th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Did I miss something ....

Earlier in GOT, Cersei talks (boasts almost) about how the Lannisters had been breeding family with family for generations for purity.

But then when Cersei tells her dad that his family legacy is a lie, and that all the tales that are being told about her and Jamie are true.

So, did grumpy dad pincushion Lannister miss the memo that this inbreeding was standard family operating procedure?

overpowered
June 17th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Actually, that previous conversation was about the Targaryens.

Leon
June 17th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Oh ok, so Cersei was in Targaryen emulation mode? ;)

overpowered
June 17th, 2014, 10:10 PM
She was when she was with Jamie.

harper
June 18th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Re: Tyrion

I wonder if they'll change things because Varys joins him, too...? I haven't read books 4 and 5 and am not sure if that changes much but would be interesting. They were always a great combination in GoT, so it would be cool to have that continue.

G'day Mate
June 18th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Is that a book spoiler?

Freude am Fahren
June 18th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Kinda? It's about a change from book 3, and he hasn't read books 4 or 5.

G'day Mate
June 18th, 2014, 04:01 PM
I guess what I'm asking is, does it spoil the show?

Freude am Fahren
June 18th, 2014, 04:44 PM
No, not if you've watched all the aired episodes (through S4E10).

overpowered
June 18th, 2014, 06:50 PM
If you want to drive yourself a bit crazy:

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Differences_between_books_and_TV_series_-_Season_4

Freude am Fahren
June 18th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Yeah, The episode guides at westeros.org are quite in depth (and very critical) on each episode both in the episode itself, as well as how it compares to the books.

overpowered
June 23rd, 2014, 10:08 AM
Which Game of Thrones Character are You? (http://theoatmeal.com/quiz/got_character)

It's not exactly what you think.

overpowered
June 23rd, 2014, 10:25 AM
If you want to drive yourself a bit crazy:

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Differences_between_books_and_TV_series_-_Season_4

They get into some amazingly trivial nits and weird conjecture like this one:

Tywin never sends for a smith from Volantis to re-forge Ice, and it is never said that one of only three smiths able to work with Valyrian steel is from there. The deed is performed by Tobho Mott (Gendry's former master), who is from Qohor. Qohor is famous for having the only blacksmiths who can reforge Valyrian steel, and there are more than three of them. It is possible that the actor who played Tobho Mott was simply unavailable.

I'm thinking that they wouldn't change the story over availability of the actor of a very minor character. They've had three different actors play the Mountain and two different actors play Daario, who are both more significant to the story so far than Mott. I don't know if Mott becomes more significant later, but it seems unlikely.

overpowered
June 27th, 2014, 10:45 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EEI69UY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p236_d5_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0W01GGE6SVZ6SJ0WR42Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

G'day Mate
June 27th, 2014, 11:45 PM

speedpimp
June 29th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Ordered.

overpowered
July 2nd, 2014, 08:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVaD8rouJn0

Peter Dinklage will get every good dwarf role until he dies, or Warwick Davis kills him.

Dicknose
July 3rd, 2014, 12:47 AM
Imp slapped!

G'day Mate
July 3rd, 2014, 04:56 AM
Bewbs

Freude am Fahren
July 3rd, 2014, 06:39 AM
Noun of Nouns!

speedpimp
July 3rd, 2014, 03:17 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EEI69UY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p236_d5_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0W01GGE6SVZ6SJ0WR42Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

G'day Mate
July 3rd, 2014, 04:30 PM
:lol: :up:

neanderthal
July 3rd, 2014, 10:19 PM

Well played sir.

overpowered
July 4th, 2014, 01:16 AM
All men must die, who are anywhere close to Sean Bean.

Lord Friend Zone

JoshInKC
July 4th, 2014, 03:57 AM
Yeah, "Lord Friend-zone" was my favorite part. 2nd Favorite: "A medival history encyclopedia, crossed with and dungeon master's guide, crossed with a porno."

overpowered
July 9th, 2014, 06:33 PM
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/07/george-r-r-martin-fuck-you-response

Freude am Fahren
July 9th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Good for him.

But, uh, yeah, you might want to get busy...

Freude am Fahren
July 20th, 2014, 04:54 PM
dahodor - hodorstorm (http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/hodor-is-embarking-on-a-game-of-thrones-themed-dj-tour-20140715)

overpowered
July 20th, 2014, 08:48 PM
From that site, top 40 Game of Thrones characters:

While there are several I would move higher or lower, I can see arguments to support most of these placings, except for Sansa. WTF is she doing at 4th?

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/lists/top-40-game-of-thrones-characters-ranked-20140331

G'day Mate
July 20th, 2014, 09:02 PM
Yeah I saw that too and scratched my head.

Leon
July 20th, 2014, 09:47 PM
because hotness?

overpowered
July 21st, 2014, 05:42 PM
The Ultimate Game of Thrones Recap (http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6961470/the-ultimate-game-of-thrones-recap)

speedpimp
July 25th, 2014, 06:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-7Fs9HJvs0

Freude am Fahren
July 25th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Season 5 charactors/actors named
New characters were announced at comiccon, and it appears that they are writing out Arriane Martell. Worse, it appears they are replacing/combining her character with her brother, Trystane. Thus eliminating one of the most important aspects of Dorne in it being the only kingdom in Westeros that sees women equally to men. I think we already saw one instance of that, though not on this level.

speedpimp
July 26th, 2014, 04:38 AM
They announce The Sandsnakes?

Freude am Fahren
July 26th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Alexander Siddig is Doran Martell, the lord of Dorne and older brother to Oberyn.

Toby Sebastian has been cast as Prince Doran's son, Trystane Martell, the heir to Dorne.

Jessica Henwick will play Nymeria Sand, Rosabell Laurenti Sellers is Tyene Sand, and Keisha Castle-Hughes is Obara Sand. (so three of them at least, maybe they'll only have three so it's easier to follow)

Jonathan Pryce will be the high sparrow. I imagine he'll do a great job. Good fit, IMO

I'm sure there could still be more, even Arriane, but clearly her role wouldn't be the same. If they add lady Stoneheart, perhaps it will be uncredited.

Emphasis mine, wording HBO's.

speedpimp
July 26th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Dr. Julian Bashir? Damn that brings Star Trek, Primeval and GOT together in one neatly tied bow.

overpowered
May 21st, 2015, 06:16 PM
So apparently a lot of people are up in arms about the last scene with Sansa in the last episode.

People called it gratuitous. For this show? Really? There's been much nastier stuff. Yeah, this was fucking creepy and I did not like it but there's been much more disturbing stuff on the show. This was mild for Ramsay. He's done much worse stuff like hunting and killing girls in the woods for sport.

What annoys me more is that apparently in the books, this scene doesn't happen to Sansa. It happens to a minor character named Jeyne Poole who most people think is Arya Stark at the time. Sansa is never betrothed to Ramsay. That's a pretty big change to the story. These things tend to have butterfly effects through the whole story.

Freude am Fahren
May 22nd, 2015, 08:47 AM
Yeah, this is the season where they really start to make their own story. I get it though. There are just too many separate characters and plots in the books to have a cohesive show in just 10 hours a season. I suspect next season will be completely original stuff.

speedpimp
May 22nd, 2015, 02:27 PM
The fact that the act happened off screen and all we saw was the reaction on Reek's face was all that really needed to seen.
As far as gratuitous, how soon people have forgotten about the background action during Little Fingers season one soliloquy or Kahl Drago breaking in Danerius on their wedding night.

overpowered
May 22nd, 2015, 05:28 PM
Also,

Strictly speaking, is this really rape? Sansa submitted willingly. She obviously didn't want to, but she wasn't physically forced or threatened or anything. It was just something she had to do on her wedding night and will probably have to do more. The culture is roughly similar to medieval times and from what I understand, this is how things often were -- arranged marriages where people often had to marry people they really didn't like and have sex with them.

Also, what the fuck is up with Ramsay's girlfriend? She's witnessed first hand what a complete psychopath he is. She's got to be seriously fucked up. Come to think of it, she participated in some of the torture.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120628214514/gameofthrones/images/4/49/Charlotte_Hope.jpg

speedpimp
May 23rd, 2015, 02:20 PM
Speaking of her hot sociopathic tendencies:
Isn't she the one who took the prettier girl for a walk and she got ate by dogs?

overpowered
May 23rd, 2015, 07:52 PM
I couldn't remember so I looked for it on HBO Go. It was in S4E2, The Lion and the Rose. She didn't take her on a walk. The episode starts with the hunt in progress and she did participate in the hunt and shot the arrow that took the other girl down before the dogs got her. Reek was following along. I'd say she's as psychopathic as Ramsay. Now I see why they're together.

tigeraid
May 26th, 2015, 10:26 AM
From my understanding, feminists are up in arms because Sansa's sort-of-rape will, we hope (?) help guide Theon to snap out of it and maybe be the hero, helping her escape when Stannis attacks.... As OPPOSED to Sansa herself using it to form her character, to get her revenge. Which is a weak argument in my eyes, because we don't know how it's going to play out yet--for all we know, she'll stab the prick herself. It's whining for the sake of whining--we know the show is rough, we know rape and incest and regular violent deaths occur. And often, revenge upon those acts happens.

overpowered
June 1st, 2015, 03:25 AM
Practically every episode drives me insane when it ends. Seriously, you can't end it there. Fuck.

Freude am Fahren
June 1st, 2015, 08:41 AM
There is one solution. Abstain then Binge.

Jason
June 3rd, 2015, 03:07 AM
Valyrian Steel and Dragon Glass, eh? Glad all the mentions of Valyrian Steel finally culminated in something useful, at least.

So we have Jon Snow's sword, and the two sword's made from Robb Stark's sword. Whatever happened to Ned's? Or was that Ned's? Or was that even the right material?

tigeraid
June 3rd, 2015, 07:51 AM
Ned's was melted down and re-forged into Joffrey's sword (which I would assume Tommen has now) and Brienne's. Jon Snow's is Mormont's old sword.

G'day Mate
June 3rd, 2015, 08:13 AM
Finally up to date!!

Freude am Fahren
June 3rd, 2015, 04:21 PM
Ned's ("Ice") was made into "Oathbreaker" (Jaime's, given to Brienne) and "Widow's Wail" (Joffrey's, so I guess now Tommen's). All three are/were made of it. Also the dagger used to try and kill Bran was supposed to be Valyrian Steel, not sure where that is now.

edit: new page! What Tigeraid said.

G'day Mate
June 3rd, 2015, 04:33 PM
Heh, I almost did the same thing.

So ...

... was that actually Brienne who Ramsay Bolton had flayed?

Jason
June 3rd, 2015, 05:39 PM
Ned's was melted down and re-forged into Joffrey's sword (which I would assume Tommen has now) and Brienne's. Jon Snow's is Mormont's old sword.

Oh, I thought it was Robb's for some reason, or did he receive Ned's sword?

Jason
June 3rd, 2015, 05:40 PM
Heh, I almost did the same thing.

So ...

... was that actually Brienne who Ramsay Bolton had flayed?

I don't believe so, I think it was the old lady that gave Sansa the message.

overpowered
June 3rd, 2015, 06:33 PM
Oh, I thought it was Robb's for some reason, or did he receive Ned's sword?Ned's greatsword "Ice" was taken from him when he was captured and he was subsequently beheaded with it by Ilyn Payne on Joffrey's command. Tywin Lannister took it and had it melted down and reforged into two swords, one of which he gave to Jaime and the other which he gave to Joffrey. Jaime gave his to Brienne and Joffrey's is presumably with Tommen now. Robb never saw his father's sword after Ned went to King's Landing to be Hand of the King.

Jon Snow got his sword from Jeor Mormont who was the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch until his death as well as the father of Lord Friend Zone, er Jorah Mormont, who worships Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons.

overpowered
June 3rd, 2015, 06:35 PM
I don't believe so, I think it was the old lady that gave Sansa the message.That is correct. Brienne is still waiting outside Winterfell.

G'day Mate
June 3rd, 2015, 07:03 PM
I don't believe so, I think it was the old lady that gave Sansa the message.

That is correct. Man of Tarth is still waiting outside Winterfell.

Yeah, cool, I kinda thought so. She was a normal-sized corpse.

Jason
June 4th, 2015, 03:11 AM
Ned's greatsword "Ice" was taken from him when he was captured and he was subsequently beheaded with it by Ilyn Payne on Joffrey's command. Tywin Lannister took it and had it melted down and reforged into two swords, one of which he gave to Jaime and the other which he gave to Joffrey. Jaime gave his to Brienne and Joffrey's is presumably with Tommen now. Robb never saw his father's sword after Ned went to King's Landing to be Hand of the King.

Jon Snow got his sword from Jeor Mormont who was the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch until his death as well as the father of Lord Friend Zone, er Jorah Mormont, who worships Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons.

Well there goes the idea that the Stark family has a bunch of Valyrian steel haha

speedpimp
June 4th, 2015, 03:53 PM
It's Ser Friend Zone.

TheBenior
June 8th, 2015, 09:34 PM
When this week's GoT came on, my bearded dragon Thor stood on his basking rock with his claws and face pressed on the glass towards the TV.

After the disturbing death scene, he turned around to face the other way, bobbed his head vigorously (like at the beginning of this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA6vmeAtYUs)), then ran towards the end of his tank furthest from the TV trying to get out.

I think it was the screams that agitated him. After I put him on my shoulder, he calmed down, pressed his snout into my neck, and fell asleep to Drogon burning and eating people.

overpowered
June 8th, 2015, 09:42 PM
As near as I can tell, they've pretty much finished the books are mostly in new territory now.

Freude am Fahren
June 8th, 2015, 09:51 PM
Yeah, and what part of the books they haven't covered, they've already diverged from that plot anyway. In a way I actually like it, as I know don't know what is going to happen for the most part.

harper
June 9th, 2015, 02:52 AM
It's Ser Friend Zone.

Fedorah Mormont is a joke I saw on twitter that I'm stealing and using now.

(he's going to die anyways so I just hope nobody else gets infected :/ )

This whole season is full of Horrible Shit happening, which is definitely part and parcel to the show, but now it just seems...kind of excessive sometimes. Gratuitous. Like it's for shock value instead of a real purpose.

And I know they were as dangerous as their father Oberyn but man now I totally get why "the Dornishman's Wife" is such a true song. God damn.

G'day Mate
June 9th, 2015, 04:06 AM
"Here come some mind-trick dragon shit ..." says my girlfriend, just before the dragon rocks up.

PS. If the stupid thing had been in the air, those spears may not have pierced it!

Leon
June 9th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Well, from last week's episode, that girl can kill me with her boobs any time any place.

This week's episode, clearly not a fan of BBQ Baratheon any more. Plus, it's a shame they have now whisked away blondie on her dragon, because her and Tyrion in the same place gave much scope for her rather unguided ambition "give me that continent bitches!" to get a bit of realistic and cynical grounding. Tyrion has much to offer her. When he's not pissed as a newt anyway.

overpowered
June 9th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Here's an interesting tidbit I stumbled upon from awoiaf:

In A Storm of Swords, Jon was legitimised by Robb's (at the time the King in the North) decree, thereby removing his bastard status.[11] However the decree was only issued shortly before Robb's murder at the Twins and it is unknown whether the decree was ever disseminated; Jon remains unaware of its existence and of his change in status. It is also debatable whether the other opposing houses would accept the decree even if it were to become known.

Jason
June 9th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Man oh man.. it just seems like a slow build up to black magic vs snow zombies vs dragons. The little orphan kid is gonna be the last one standing with those nasty stares, though.

overpowered
June 9th, 2015, 06:39 PM
"Here come some mind-trick dragon shit ..." says my girlfriend, just before the dragon rocks up.Yeah. I was thinking the same thing. I think a lot of people saw that coming as soon as she closed her eyes like she was meditating or something. Oddly, I was more surprised when she got on his back. Not sure why. That really shouldn't have been a surprise.

harper
June 10th, 2015, 05:44 AM
Well, from last week's episode, that girl can kill me with her boobs any time any place.

This week's episode, clearly not a fan of BBQ Baratheon any more. Plus, it's a shame they have now whisked away blondie on her dragon, because her and Tyrion in the same place gave much scope for her rather unguided ambition "give me that continent bitches!" to get a bit of realistic and cynical grounding. Tyrion has much to offer her. When he's not pissed as a newt anyway.

I really don't think Dany is exit stage right seated astride a dragon. I don't think she'll be departing, just making a hell of an exit from the attack.

tigeraid
June 10th, 2015, 07:47 AM
Related, book spoiler, possible show spoilerIn the book, her escape takes her out to the desert where she spends AN ENTIRE FUCKING BOOK wandering around thinking about how she's not badass enough. On the other hand, Tyrion's boring-ass journey THAT TOOK AN ENTIRE FUCKING BOOK up the river after escaping King's Landing was thankfully cut from the show... So maybe her journey of self-discovery won't take a whole fucking season. But anyway yes, I suspect she's gone for at least a little while.

Freude am Fahren
June 10th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Tyrion's journey was rather important (or at least, it looks like it will be) since he met Aegon (one of Rhaegar and Elia Martell's two children that were supposedly killed by the Mountain), the 'true' Targaryen heir. But I think they're going to leave his character out of the series. Besides, it's still possible, it's not actually Aegon, I think.

tigeraid
June 10th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Also, Jorah touched Dany, so she's grey-scaled now. Not sure how that's going to factor in.

speedpimp
June 10th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Dragon scales > grey-scale.

harper
June 11th, 2015, 02:41 AM
Also, Jorah touched Dany, so she's grey-scaled now. Not sure how that's going to factor in.

reading Grantland's Ask the Maester, he doesn't thing she's gonna get that because it wasn't the infected area (and might've been his other arm anyways). But yeah, Jorah stop touching people plzkthx

also, I'd heard about some of that Tyrion travel stuff before, I hope they find a way to work that in but without being a super long tease.

overpowered
June 14th, 2015, 10:39 PM
Stannis - I'm OK with that, even though I really hate the Bolton's. Stannis sucked.
Sansa - Fuck no.
Reek - Who cares?
Arya - Not sure what's going to happen. Maybe it could be a good story.
Jon - Hell fucking no.
Cersei - That was tough to watch, but she sucks, so I'm OK with it.
Myrcella - Totally saw that coming when Ellaria kissed her.
Daenerys - This could get interesting.
Varys - Glad to see he's back.

What the fuck is going on with Brandon Stark? Was he even in this season?

What the fuck is with the new giant? Is that some sort of undead reanimated Gregor Clegane?

This season has been kind of short on female nudity. Now we finally get some and even though Lena Headey has a pretty good body, the circumstances of the scene made it very unsexy.

Freude am Fahren
June 15th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Stannis is more likable, though still a hard ass in the books, I felt. I don't recall him sacrificing his daughter. He also has the best claim to the throne.
They kind of made it look like Sansa and Theon committed suicide (especially with Sansa's comments earlier), but I think they just jumped into a snow bank.
I've been waiting for that Cersei scene since i read it. And not just because of bewbs.
I didn't not see that coming with Myrcella, I'll admit. Pretty brutal.

Bran wasn't in the season at all. That bit of the story was so off the wall, I think the writers stayed away from it for now. I expect him to come back in some form and save the day in the north.

Many suspect that the new kingsguard is in fact an undead Mountain or something similar.

They used a body double.

tigeraid
June 15th, 2015, 03:39 PM
I KNEW something was off--she does nudity in 300, and she has much smaller tits and a WAY more athletic/cut body, abs and all. Plus black hair, so she would've had to dye her pubes. How did they achieve it though, just CGI her head onto it? If so it was pretty damn seamless.

Jason
June 15th, 2015, 03:40 PM
It was painfully obvious at times, imo

tigeraid
June 15th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Huh. Might just have to re-watch that. For.... research purposes...

Jason
June 15th, 2015, 03:42 PM
As far as the rest? I dunno... this whole season has left me with a bit of disappointment. Just piling on the hopelessness, really. At least the three most interesting characters (imo) are still alive, but everyone "good" seems to not live long in this world.

speedpimp
June 15th, 2015, 03:45 PM
So at the end is what Ser Frankensteen was working on. Makes sense now.

overpowered
June 15th, 2015, 06:48 PM
I KNEW something was off--she does nudity in 300, and she has much smaller tits and a WAY more athletic/cut body, abs and all. Plus black hair, so she would've had to dye her pubes. How did they achieve it though, just CGI her head onto it? If so it was pretty damn seamless.It was probably a merkin.

As for 300, yeah, they can put abs on people with CGI now.

Leon
June 15th, 2015, 11:01 PM
I could see her pixels.

G'day Mate
June 16th, 2015, 03:03 AM
Jon Snow didn't know that was coming :(

So how are they going to keep the wall storyline alive without any major characters there?

tigeraid
June 16th, 2015, 06:15 AM
No, her 300 nude scene was legit. That was actually her.

I have a feeling Bran is going to bring Jon Snow back to life, somehow. And he and Dany are gonna be the ones to win the Iron Throne. In the long game, that is.

Interesting theory that has some merit... The Many-Faced God and the Faceless Men are working with the White Walkers--as Jaquen, said, a life for a life. So every asshole they kill, allows the Night King to raise another zombie. So Arya is inadvertently working for the Whites. Possibly.

speedpimp
June 16th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Maybe they just didn't feel like CGI'ing out all of her tatts.

overpowered
June 16th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Apparently it was a body double.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/14/game-thrones-walk-shame

drew
June 16th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Well, that was certinaly a "oh fuck that!" ending...

Goddamn this show and its "don't get your hopes up" ass-fucking.....

April is a long ass wait...

she ordered the books, so....

G'day Mate
June 16th, 2015, 03:49 PM
So how are they going to keep the wall storyline alive without any major characters there?

Hang on a minute ...

... we've seen the "Lord of Light" bring someone back to life before, haven't we? And his number one groupie is at the wall with Jon Snow's corpse ...

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/34300000/got-game-of-thrones-34375835-500-280.png

speedpimp
June 16th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Mellisandre? She seems to have disappeared into thin air after attending Stannis' daughter's BBQ.

G'day Mate
June 16th, 2015, 03:56 PM
She showed up at Castle Black when Pirate Guy was trying to get more troops together

G'day Mate
June 16th, 2015, 04:00 PM
Hmmm, ok, a little Googling reveals that I'm apparently not the first one to come up with this pretty obvious theory, and everyone involved in the show is denying it. Oh well.

Freude am Fahren
June 16th, 2015, 04:46 PM
Two strongest theories form book readers were that and him warging into Ghost permanently. The latter doesn't seem likely on the show, since they kinda skipped over that aspect.

overpowered
June 16th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Finale recap:

http://imgur.com/a/5jFLz

overpowered
June 16th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Hmmm, ok, a little Googling reveals that I'm apparently not the first one to come up with this pretty obvious theory, and everyone involved in the show is denying it. Oh well.It's actually not a terrible idea, but she'd have to have a reason to do it and I'm not sure that she does.

I only know about him being a warg because I read the awoiaf page for him.

TheBenior
June 16th, 2015, 06:00 PM
Finale recap:

speedpimp
June 17th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Finale recap:

That was good.

overpowered
June 18th, 2015, 08:06 PM
Lena's body double:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/18/game-thrones-lena-headey-nude-double-van-cleave