PDA

View Full Version : Help search for MH370

Sad, little man
March 17th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Seriously, have at it...

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014

Kind of sad knowing that some relatives of the passengers have probably driven themselves crazy with that thing though. :|

Sad, little man
March 17th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Hmmm, actually, looks like they may not be taking into account the newest developments that place it far away from that area. :|

MR2 Fan
March 17th, 2014, 09:42 PM
I tried using that site several days ago but it seemed very cumbersome...I wish Google maps or a similar program had updated maps of the area.

The thousands of theories being presented on the web are crazy....I wonder if we'll hear something truly useful soon, or if the "story" will just fade away in the news

Godson
March 17th, 2014, 09:53 PM
What's the synopsis so far on the plane's disappearance?

Drachen596
March 17th, 2014, 09:55 PM
supposedly it flew for a few hours after disappearing.

but why and to where?

could be a LONG way from where it disappeared. that model has a fully loaded range of 7,725nm(8,892 miles)

IMOA
March 17th, 2014, 11:08 PM
Basically it's either in the water off the western coast of Australia or sitting on the ground in a country which ends in 'Stan' (or a near neighbour). There is a chance that once it landed they were able to disable the satellite coms, refuel and go somewhere else but I don't think so no-one seemed to know that ACARS kept pinging after it was turned off and whoever took it could've disabled it from inside the aircraft anyway.

Interesting update from today is the first waypoint of the diverted flight path was put in before ACARS was shut down which points the finger very firmly at one (or both) of the pilots.

mk
March 18th, 2014, 01:43 AM
Acars and satcom are different.

Acars is like http and ftp when satcom is like tcp and udp.

Ping then is not even a protocol, only a blind send, and, if I'm understood it right, not even present anywhere in the cockpit, also revealing only its amplitude in the reciever, that can give a rough angle and nothing else.

Interesting thing is that only last ping is published.
IMO, no need to hide them if they point south.

thesameguy
March 18th, 2014, 08:28 AM
That was broadly my understanding as well.

Quite the mystery.

Yw-slayer
March 18th, 2014, 08:39 AM
There's an interesting article on WIRED.

LHutton
March 18th, 2014, 10:53 AM
The protocol when a civilian airliner goes off course and fails to respond is to intercept it.

Crazed_Insanity
March 18th, 2014, 11:08 AM
They've inadvertently exposed air defense holes. Nobody intercepted it... or perhaps nations around there just weren't anticipating anyone attacking them... ;)

BTW, that WIRED article is pretty cool. It could be that simple...

However, I still prefer the idea of them surviving on some remote Darma Initiative Island traveling thru time while fighting polar bears and smoke monsters.

21Kid
March 18th, 2014, 11:47 AM
mk is here? And a coherent post at that?!?

mk
March 18th, 2014, 11:48 AM
What if satcom ping is a hoax.

Authors are quite sure, for what ever reason, the plane is hijacked but can't tell its location.
They invent a ping that is so deep in system it needs a ninja engineer to spot it.
Bad guys start searching their man and all communications are analyzed.

E:
Didn't see the prev.

thesameguy
March 18th, 2014, 12:15 PM
I like the WIRED article as well but there are still so many questions. I don't know shit about how airplanes are built, but it seems to me that any transponder system would be WELL isolated from the rest of the plane. How many giant planes have been totally lost in the history of aviation? Still, it's a good theory, because if you're going to hijack a plane and you know how to disable its transponder, you don't make a major course correction - thus putting everyone on alert - and THEN cut the transponder. You just cut the transponder. You also don't make wild elevation changes and burn off expensive fuel and put stability at risk.

While I wouldn't rule out a hijacking attempt entirely, I think the movements of the plane definitely show the pilot was trying to mitigate some problem - maybe put out a fire, maybe send a signal to authorities, or maybe hoping to knock knife-wielding hijackers off balance. That really makes sense.

I'm also baffled at what the point of hijacking a giant plane out of Malaysia would be. I mean, what do you do with the thing once you have it? There are so many things that make that scenario unlikely - proximity to high value targets being one of them, but also successfully hiding something that big for very long especially if it was on approach to one of the aforementioned high value targets. ;) I'm pretty sure you can't even land a 777 just anywhere. Fuel consumption has gotta be obscene - there would have to be many much better choices if it was going to run cargo for some terrorist organization. There was no obvious person or thing of global value on board, either. Maybe some such organization or 3rd world entity wanted the engines for study or reproduction? Seems like there are better, less obvious ways to go about that.

Really, thinking about it, the only plausible theory I can come up with is that some trailer park kid played too much GTA. I mean, what else is there?

LHutton
March 18th, 2014, 12:26 PM
They've inadvertently exposed air defense holes. Nobody intercepted it... or perhaps nations around there just weren't anticipating anyone attacking them... ;)

BTW, that WIRED article is pretty cool. It could be that simple...

However, I still prefer the idea of them surviving on some remote Darma Initiative Island traveling thru time while fighting polar bears and smoke monsters.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/thailand-radar-data-10-days-plane-lost-22952689

Dicknose
March 18th, 2014, 01:15 PM
The protocol when a civilian airliner goes off course and fails to respond is to intercept it.

Who's protocol?
Malaysia, Thailand?

How do you know it's off course if you can't track it on radar?
If it's the transponder going off, then by the time someone notices, it's changed course and how do you find it to intercept.

Thai military says they saw it on radar but ignored it as it wasn't a threat.

speedpimp
March 18th, 2014, 01:52 PM
The WIRED article in question. (http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/)

George
March 18th, 2014, 02:08 PM
^ That is a reasonable and simple explanation.

speedpimp
March 18th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Yes it is.

The359
March 18th, 2014, 02:56 PM
I'd say the problem with a hijacking is that someone would have claimed it by now. And it certainly didn't land anywhere, I'm sure we've used satellites to check every airport within range of the airliner by now.

Freude am Fahren
March 18th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I still think hijacking gone wrong is most likely case. Either they failed, they meant to just crash it, or passengers tried to take it back, resulting in a crash (Flight 93 scenario).

MR2 Fan
March 18th, 2014, 04:00 PM
I'd say the problem with a hijacking is that someone would have claimed it by now. And it certainly didn't land anywhere, I'm sure we've used satellites to check every airport within range of the airliner by now.

The lockerbie bombing wasn't claimed for years after it happened

Drachen596
March 18th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Airports have hangars.

If they had other plans for the plane they surr wouldnt be claiming the hijacking. Claiming it would give the various governments a clear group and likely area to target in the search for the plane.

how long did that Airbus from a few years back go before it was found? Think it was an Air France flight near South America.

The359
March 18th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Airports have hangars.

If they had other plans for the plane they surr wouldnt be claiming the hijacking. Claiming it would give the various governments a clear group and likely area to target in the search for the plane.

how long did that Airbus from a few years back go before it was found? Think it was an Air France flight near South America.

Airports with hangers tend to have people around them. If you're going to steal a large jet and hide it, you have to go somewhere secluded, with a big enough hanger to fit said jet. Of which I'm guessing there are not a lot around the -stan countries.

Random
March 18th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Debris and bodies :( from Air France 447 were found relatively quickly (a day or two later). The remainder of the wreck with the data recorders took almost two years--not continuous effort, though.

Phil_SS
March 18th, 2014, 05:29 PM

They found debris and bodies by the fifth day. Took them two years to find an recover the black boxes because the main body of the plane was about 12000ft below the surface.

Yw-slayer
March 19th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Hemlock (www.biglychee.com) asked a pertinent rhetorical question:

The mystery here is how Malaysia, a reasonably open and relaxed nation of above-average wealth and development and with no serious enemies, ends up relating to the outside world as untrustworthy and apparently suffering some form of crippling inferiority complex.

Of course, I don't necessarily agree with the answer, nor the assumption that it appears "untrustworthy". I think any such image is due to pandering to the media by the governments of other relevant countries, who when faced with the exact opposite situation would almost certainly act in an even less transparent and "untrustworthy" manner.

Rob
March 19th, 2014, 04:17 AM
Probably just simple racism. "How can you tell them apart from North Koreans?"

Which is a sentence I have actually heard from our office racist when talking about people from South Korea.

Crazed_Insanity
March 19th, 2014, 06:58 AM
^ That is a reasonable and simple explanation.

That wired mag article certainly is the most believable of all theories... and it's good to see things from an experienced pilot's point of view.

It's just that I don't know how reliable that piece of info regarding plane made the course change before or after the radio communication saying 'good night.' If it's really said after the course change, then this particular theory is wrong. If it's said before the course change, then yeah, this is most likely what happened.

Anyway, really hope we can figure this out soon.

Yw-slayer
March 19th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Rob, not sure I totally understand , but if you mean certain other countries being racist , then yeah.

Crazed_Insanity
March 19th, 2014, 08:26 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/03/18/article-2583807-1C655E2800000578-43_634x399.jpg

Some college student from Taiwan found something weird on sat images..., but there were no coordinates on the photos so still couldn't pin point the exact location yet...

I guess this could just happen to be a plane flying over a forest? Why would a plane just be sitting in the middle of a jungle?

Freude am Fahren
March 19th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Appears to have the wrong livery. It looks like it has a dark colored aft section that goes all the way around the top.

Something like Jet Airways:
http://www.airlinereporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/jetairways.jpg

Also, doesn't look like a 777 to me, but from such a low res image, that'd be hard to say. A 777-200 would appear to have the wings more foreward, and you *should* be able to see the huge engine nacelles, unless they are too dark (MH370's would be gray I think).

Random
March 19th, 2014, 10:27 AM
What sites have week-old satellite images available for browsing?

Crazed_Insanity
March 19th, 2014, 10:58 AM
That same tomnod site posted originally by slm!

Sad, little man
March 19th, 2014, 07:44 PM
They might have found something... Way too early to tell though.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-03-19/australia-may-have-found-objects-linked-to-missing-mh370-flight

Yw-slayer
March 19th, 2014, 08:55 PM
That earlier image is clearly just a plane flying over a forest.

Rare White Ape
March 19th, 2014, 09:43 PM
They might have found something... Way too early to tell though.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-03-19/australia-may-have-found-objects-linked-to-missing-mh370-flight

Cue Tony Abbot rubbing his hands together. Hooray, 15 minutes in the world spotlight!

MR2 Fan
March 19th, 2014, 09:44 PM
The area they're talking about is pretty damn far south...not sure if debris would float a long way in that much time though?

Rare White Ape
March 20th, 2014, 12:49 AM
Nah it's based on flight time with that fuel load and going straight until it stops with lots of screaming and a big splash. They imagine it might have flown that far with nobody to fly it.

Yw-slayer
March 20th, 2014, 03:38 AM
That fits the simple theory published in WIRED.

LHutton
March 20th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Who's protocol?
Malaysia, Thailand?

How do you know it's off course if you can't track it on radar?
If it's the transponder going off, then by the time someone notices, it's changed course and how do you find it to intercept.
How do you track something with the RCS of a flying barn? Very easily.

Thai military says they saw it on radar but ignored it as it wasn't a threat.
Very bold conclusion to jump to following 9/11. Note that intercept does not mean 'shoot down', it means go see what's up. It's completely standard protocol for most nations now:

from Canada
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/07/16/norad-jets-intercept-toronto-bound-airliner/

to India
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8225639.stm

I will give you that it 'might' not be for Malaysia and Thailand but that would be surprising. In fact it's the most surprising part of this for me.

Crazed_Insanity
March 20th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Maybe Thai air force is just slow..., by the time they're ready to launch, the blip on the radar is gone or out of their air space.

Sad, little man
March 20th, 2014, 12:53 PM
That's not as bad as Switzerland, which is apparently only able to defend their airspace during normal business hours. :lol:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_world_/2014/02/18/the_swiss_air_force_will_only_repel_invasions_duri ng_office_hours.html

Crazed_Insanity
March 20th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Well, they can afford to do that because they are holding all the rich and powerful's money "hostage"! Probably even the terrorists have their money there too. When there's another world war, I bet Swiss military can still enjoy nights and weekends off. ;)

Dicknose
March 20th, 2014, 02:15 PM
So you are saying someone did scramble a fighter, found the plane, but are somehow in on the conspiracy.

The Thai radar report days later makes me think they don't have the ability to "identify" a threat. Sure a blip might be detected, but realising it's a threat is harder. Have a human involved and it's complicated by lots of factors. Boredom, fear. What if I report this and the send up a fighter and I was wrong, will I lose my job?

And unless the aircraft is flying towards you, can you even intercept it?
If it's just crossing the edge of your territory you probably won't have any possible intercept in your airspace.
How fast are your fighters? How quick was it detected and a decision made to intercept (at 2am!)
Oh Malaysia has Mig29 but parts seem to be a problem, only 10 operational.
Would this be the first incident for them requiring an intercept? Do their procedures work?

Even if it is protocol, I'm not sure how practical it is for international flights in that region.
It seems the plane didn't fly towards/over any major cities/airports with radar (or they would have noticed)
Not hard to imagine military wouldn't care unless it's coming at you.

Rob
March 20th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Electrical fire, reroute, failed to make the runway. The Wired article is by far the most rational and least paranoid explanation.

Freude am Fahren
March 20th, 2014, 03:58 PM
So was the report of two guys getting on the plane using stolen passports wrong? Or are we just kinda ignoring it?

The359
March 20th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Were ignoring it because they used normal passports to get into Malaysia in the first place. Everyone thinks they were seeking asylum.

FaultyMario
March 20th, 2014, 05:14 PM
That'd kinda suck, no?

Boards plane to save life.
Plane crashes.

Fogelhund
March 20th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Electrical fire, reroute, failed to make the runway. The Wired article is by far the most rational and least paranoid explanation.

Of course it is... but that doesn't make it reality.

Dicknose
March 21st, 2014, 03:05 AM
Plane crashes.
Boards aeroplane to try to get to another country where you might get a job.

I don't think they were afraid for their lives in Malaysia.

Still sucks.

Rare White Ape
March 21st, 2014, 06:20 AM
Of course it is... but that doesn't make it reality.

I think Occam's Razor is what should be applied until we have a better explanation.

So far the Wired piece is the most rational and logical.

Dicknose
March 21st, 2014, 03:22 PM
And when it costs money to search, you want to go with "most likely"

thesameguy
March 21st, 2014, 03:31 PM
That'd kinda suck, no?

Plane crashes.

IIRC, that's ironic.

Rare White Ape
March 21st, 2014, 06:33 PM
And when it costs money to search, you want to go with "most likely"

That's ok, Malaysia will foot the bill. Or some unfortunate insurance company will.

The cost would be even higher if there was a chance of survivors and time was an issue.

LHutton
March 22nd, 2014, 01:14 AM
So you are saying someone did scramble a fighter, found the plane, but are somehow in on the conspiracy.

The Thai radar report days later makes me think they don't have the ability to "identify" a threat. Sure a blip might be detected, but realising it's a threat is harder. Have a human involved and it's complicated by lots of factors. Boredom, fear. What if I report this and the send up a fighter and I was wrong, will I lose my job?

And unless the aircraft is flying towards you, can you even intercept it?
If it's just crossing the edge of your territory you probably won't have any possible intercept in your airspace.
How fast are your fighters? How quick was it detected and a decision made to intercept (at 2am!)
Oh Malaysia has Mig29 but parts seem to be a problem, only 10 operational.
Would this be the first incident for them requiring an intercept? Do their procedures work?

Even if it is protocol, I'm not sure how practical it is for international flights in that region.
It seems the plane didn't fly towards/over any major cities/airports with radar (or they would have noticed)
Not hard to imagine military wouldn't care unless it's coming at you.
Neighbouring countries would be aware of all civilian air traffic, any diversion from route would lead to a communication with pilot, a comms failure would then lead to an intercept. I'm not saying this definitely happened but I'm surprised if it didn't.

There's also a lot of talk among pilots that it really isn't that easy for all communications and transponder to be taken out by a fire in the blink of an eye before the pilot becomes aware and before they can get off a single announcement to ground control. How likely is an electrical fire on a civilian airliner anyway? I know the Dreamliner had battery issues but it's honestly rare aside from that. Even supposing there is an overload or short, the protection should have mitigated it before it caused a fire. This is even the case on electrical systems for temporary buildings nevermind an airliner, which has umpteen layers more rigour behind the design and testing and a very good maintenance regime. Whilst the explanation is less sensationalist and therefore seems more logical, it really isn't.

Rob
March 22nd, 2014, 03:32 AM
I think Occam's Razor is what should be applied until we have a better explanation.

So far the Wired piece is the most rational and logical.

BUT TERRISM

Rare White Ape
March 22nd, 2014, 04:50 AM
BUTT TERRISM

LHutton
March 22nd, 2014, 05:22 AM
BUTT TERRISM
I'm not even going to ask for a definition of that.:lol:

I reckon Boeing must hope that this is terrorism. The last thing their stocks need is another fire.

Sad, little man
March 22nd, 2014, 07:16 AM
Erm, what? Boeing's stock is up 41% from a year ago, and 276% from five years ago. I think they're doing just fine. Besides, the 777 has an excellent safety record, and most of the focus is now on the safety and viability of the 787 anyway.

LHutton
March 22nd, 2014, 08:04 AM
Erm, what? Boeing's stock is up 41% from a year ago, and 276% from five years ago. I think they're doing just fine. Besides, the 777 has an excellent safety record, and most of the focus is now on the safety and viability of the 787 anyway.
Stocks are fickle. After the 787 fires the last thing they need is an aircraft downed by an electrical fire.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/12/news/companies/boeing-dreamliner-fire/index.html

FaultyMario
March 22nd, 2014, 09:40 AM
Weren't the big airbus 'liners the ones suffering from fires?

Freude am Fahren
March 22nd, 2014, 10:47 AM
787 Lithiuum batteries had problems with fire, causing some (voluntary?) grounding shortly after launch. It also had some fuel leak issues.

AFAIK, the A380 has had no major fire issues. Just that one Qantas flight that lost an engine a few years ago.

MR2 Fan
March 22nd, 2014, 03:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFuGfwIhv14

Sad, little man
March 22nd, 2014, 04:01 PM
Ahhhh! Get it out of my head!!! That show terrified me when I was a kid. I shouldn't have been allowed to watch it. Once they had an episode about alleged cases of humans spontaneously combusting, and I was sure it was going to happen to me.

Drachen596
March 22nd, 2014, 07:50 PM
Boeing can always blame Malaysia Airlines maintenance personnel.

Airbus had WAY more issues than a single engine failing on the A380s. something about cracks in the wings and a Singapore A380 was recently grounded by the airline after they found some scratches in the fuselage. i imagine they were deeper than the paint if they decided to ground the plane.

i still say the 787 issues were overcharging of the batteries causing the issues. you can see similar things happening occasionally with consumer electronics like cellphones and mp3 players.

KillerB
March 22nd, 2014, 08:06 PM
Save the B vs A arguments for airliners.net (god those folks are the pinnacle of tools) - whatever happened to this plane, it sure as shit wasn't an accident.

LHutton
March 23rd, 2014, 01:29 AM
Save the B vs A arguments for airliners.net (god those folks are the pinnacle of tools) - whatever happened to this plane, it sure as shit wasn't an accident.
That's my hunch too, so the B vs A argument is irrelevant, I only mentioned it on passing not expecting to unleash a shit-storm. Naive of me.

mk
March 23rd, 2014, 01:59 AM
Too big scam to be north?

Sad, little man
March 23rd, 2014, 07:11 AM
Yes... Yes it is.

Sounds like we might be getting closer... Maybe?

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-03-23/malaysia-jet-search-focuses-on-satellite-images-floating-debris

mk
March 23rd, 2014, 08:54 AM
If south then I don't understand concealings of other pings other than they'd point over Malyasia and Indonesia elsewhere but then current search area is too far.

LHutton
March 23rd, 2014, 10:07 AM
This is an interesting question.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-03-10/malaysia-air-crash-why-do-airlines-keep-black-box-flight-data-trapped-on-planes

Sending all the black box data is obviously way too expensive but some rudimentary critical data could be selected for transmission.

Drachen596
March 23rd, 2014, 10:45 AM
Gps location that you cant turn off with battery backup thats physically inaccessible while in flight.

Hell you could mount one of those SPOT emergency locators on the plane.

easier. Likely cheaper.

LHutton
March 23rd, 2014, 12:02 PM
That would at least allow you to locate the black box and find the rest of the data.

Freude am Fahren
March 23rd, 2014, 12:11 PM
Would sending all the data even be that expensive? Voice recordings, nav data, input data, aircraft status, etc. even on a 14 hour flight can't be much more than a typical F1 team sends across teh world during a race (probably a lot less, especially if you do much larger data intervals). Sure it wouldn't be cheap, but I can't imagine it would be unrealistic. (BTW, that article crashes my shitty work browser everytime I open it, if I'm way off, sorry)

LHutton
March 23rd, 2014, 12:51 PM
Would sending all the data even be that expensive? Voice recordings, nav data, input data, aircraft status, etc. even on a 14 hour flight can't be much more than a typical F1 team sends across teh world during a race (probably a lot less, especially if you do much larger data intervals). Sure it wouldn't be cheap, but I can't imagine it would be unrealistic. (BTW, that article crashes my shitty work browser everytime I open it, if I'm way off, sorry)
According to the link - $300m/year for a global airline in 2002, assuming a 50% reduction in future satellite transmission costs.

Drachen596
March 23rd, 2014, 01:02 PM
Internet vs satellite with the f1 vs airline.

Itd probably be a pain to not only send but require a big set of data storage places for them to send data back from every plane.

Freude am Fahren
March 23rd, 2014, 01:50 PM
Yeah, a bad comparison. I'm surpised it is that high though.

Drachen596
March 23rd, 2014, 03:48 PM
Fwiw calling a satellite phone from a landline is like 10 or 15 bucks a minute from the last time I remember seeing prices.

Alan P
March 23rd, 2014, 06:02 PM
Calling an Inmarsat phone on the Sky network here in the UK is very much in the 'pounds per minute' area. £15 or so connection fee and about £3-£6 per minute I think.

GB
March 23rd, 2014, 10:29 PM
http://www.cinematex.ro/posters/19/movie19168.jpg

mk
March 24th, 2014, 12:56 AM
Calling an Inmarsat phone on the Sky network here in the UK is very much in the 'pounds per minute' area. £15 or so connection fee and about £3-£6 per minute I think.
And single channel is 2400baud.

But satellite is not nesessary needed.
Blackboxes them selves are not the problem.
Tail and wings already have stuff so placement of small instruments are trivial.
LW transmitter with a lifter of some sort, maybe a gass balloon, would be heard far, buoy is a good beacon for longer times and if lifter can keep the transmitter flying more than emergency positioning purposes it can send much in quite short time, compared to 2400baud.
Airbag stylish launch control shouldn't be a problem eighter.

About the lost one.
Local feed says some iranian engineers are questioned in Albania.

If state is involved...
Stuxnet revenge?

mk
March 24th, 2014, 07:25 AM
It is found.

West from Perth.

Freude am Fahren
March 24th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Don't forget many flights these days offer wifi. So they already have data transmitting in place.

Freude am Fahren
March 24th, 2014, 08:04 AM
I'm not doubting it is there, or anything. But they haven't actually found it. They just know with enough certainty from the evidence that it's around there somewhere. I don't doubt they'll find hard evidence soon.

mk
March 24th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Don't forget many flights these days offer wifi. So they already have data transmitting in place.
Yes, and in no time all cost arguments will become quite academic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SwiftBroadband

Half-channel HDR 325 kbit/s

mk
March 24th, 2014, 10:04 AM
I'm not doubting it is there, or anything. But they haven't actually found it. They just know with enough certainty from the evidence that it's around there somewhere. I don't doubt they'll find hard evidence soon.
Yes.
Any idea for info speed ups, F1 maybe.

Anyway.
Inmarsat guys have clearly done some calculations.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10719304/How-British-satellite-company-Inmarsat-tracked-down-MH370.html

By comparing these models with the trajectory of other aircraft on similar routes, they were able to establish an "extraordinary matching" between Inmarsat's predicted path to the south and the readings from other planes on that route.

Drachen596
March 24th, 2014, 06:52 PM
they're saying the plane crashed in the Indian Ocean and Malaysia Airlines TEXTED the families as such.

however the plane itself has not yet been physically found. personally until they do its still simply lost and not crashed imo.

Rare White Ape
March 24th, 2014, 11:15 PM
The wording is important. There would be many legal reasons for declaring it this way.

And this method of saying its "lost-and-not-crashed" reminds me of the hunt for dark matter. We can't see it via direct means, but we know it's there. All the evidence so far says so.

Any other hypothesis counts for 0.01% for this declaration's 99.9%.

Rob
March 25th, 2014, 05:34 AM
We can't see it via direct means, but we know it's there.

Well if that's not spinning in front of a mirror and repeating Billi's name, I don't know what is...

Crazed_Insanity
March 25th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Yeah, I really don't understand why the airline had to make such a bold announcement at this stage... when everything is still kinda up in the air..., well, yeah, most likely that plane is no longer up in the air after 2 weeks, but how can you be so certain that all died when not even 1 body is found?

Not sure if it's really for legal reasons... the airline and the govt are probably just tired of it and just want to tell the families that yeah, they all died, it's over, please go home now? We have an F-1 race coming up you know?

Anyway, the way they handled the situation is just weird. It's not just Malaysia, Thailand too! Their AF radar picked up something, but didn't want to volunteer the info simply because nobody asked. WTF?

Really feel sorry for the family memebers left hanging in this suspense..., I dunno, maybe the airline is just being kind and doesn't want to give the family members any false hopes so might as well declare all passengers dead now.

Rare White Ape
March 25th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Well, please consider these points then (all crazy speculation, in a giant thread full of expert guesses).

If they announce that they "have to assume that MH370 is lost in the Indian Ocean":

A. The search and rescue mission becomes a recovery mission, which allows the authorities to plan the operation in a way which is more suited to the task

B. The airline can begin the process of making their insurance claim...

C. ...and paying compensation to the victims

D. Resources won't be spread between a number of possible locations looking for a red herring

E. The number of aircraft, boats, and people required to operate them is reduced, thus saving valuable resources and man-hours, as well as reducing the risk for the people on the job

F. The next-of-kin are now allowed the ability to go on to the next phase of losing their loved ones. Grieving, memorial services, all that emo stuff

G. But if it turns out that the plane is not where they think it is, then great! They can look somewhere else

H. If it turns out that it didn't crash, and aliens/terrists/teh gummint stole it, and everyone is alive, then that's even better

Crazed_Insanity
March 26th, 2014, 09:47 AM
If after the pay out and then family members found out that passengers are actually alive and well on an island or somewhere else, are they obligated to give the money back?

FaultyMario
March 26th, 2014, 10:25 AM
That would depend on the laws of the country where the settlement took place.

thesameguy
March 26th, 2014, 10:04 PM
And the language of the settlement agreement. But usually settlement agreements include clauses which prevent future actions arising from the same event, and I imagine that language would protect both parties - ie the victim can't ask for more if it turns out the airline knew the pilot was coked out of his mind and that's why the plane crashed, and the airline can't take money back if it turns out the plane crashed for some reason they pre-emptively disclaimed responsibility for (like an act of God or whatever)... or didn't crash at all. Settlements are always a tricky business.

Yw-slayer
March 26th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Discussing hypothetical settlements on an internet forum FTW!!

thesameguy
March 26th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Don't be sore you don't get to bill for this.

Yw-slayer
March 26th, 2014, 11:57 PM
I'm not just sore. I'm BUTTHURT

thesameguy
March 27th, 2014, 12:12 AM
Pay it forward.

mk
March 29th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Where is interactive crash site prediction page?

KillerB
March 30th, 2014, 06:18 AM
Do we even have GPS coverage in the Southern Ocean?

Crazed_Insanity
March 31st, 2014, 07:48 AM
Fleet of GPS sat should give us global coverage. The military for sure would want global coverage...

Wow, did a quick google, I guess it isn't global! Looks like only half of the Indian oceans covered!

Drachen596
March 31st, 2014, 01:26 PM
Stuff that had been spotted before has turned out to be fishing gear. Not plane bits.

Dicknose
March 31st, 2014, 01:41 PM
Are you sure?
I thought it was designed for full coverage with 24 satellites. They are running more than that (spares!)

Not covering the Indian Ocean would also miss out other parts, since you can't put a satellite over a spot on the earth unless it's in the equator (and GPS is not geostationary)
So lack of coverage would imply a similar black spot somewhere else, most likely 180 degrees away.

Crazed_Insanity
April 1st, 2014, 07:33 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9c/ConstellationGPS.gif
This is what I thought originally too. Surely it should have global coverage because we'd be able to have access of multiple sats anywhere on the globe!

But then I saw something like this:
http://www.liveviewgps.com/images/DataMap.jpg

So I'm not sure.

Perhaps the military is just not giving full access of their GPS satellites on purpose?

What's amazing is the the tips of south america and south africa are not covered!?!? Maybe that map is just not what I thought it is...

Okay, that map is for this product:
http://www.liveviewgps.com/worldwide+gps+satellite+tracker.html

Perhaps it can only transmit it's location inside the coverage area, but surely GPS receiver should give out coordinates of its location anywhere on the globe...

mk
April 1st, 2014, 07:53 AM
Positioning != Tracking

mk
April 5th, 2014, 04:22 AM
Now?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26902127

Sad, little man
April 5th, 2014, 06:07 AM
It seems like a pretty amazing and legitimate development if it's true. It's weird though how the news sites seem to say "Well, we're not sure if it's actually the black box or not."

Well, if there's something underwater and it's putting out a 37.5kHz tone... What he hell else could it be!? Unless we've just discovered a species of fish that emits a 37.5kHz tone as part of a mating ritual, I'd say we've found the black box.

I guess ultimately they're questioning the validity of the whole report, but I would think that the people that are actively searching for it wouldn't create such a commotion unless they had truly found something noteworthy.

Kchrpm
April 5th, 2014, 06:13 AM
It could be the black box from something else, or it could be some other device. There have been so many false positives so far, I think it's smart to wait until they have the bird in hand before making major conclusions.

Sad, little man
April 5th, 2014, 06:30 AM
I really don't think there are any other black boxes down there. They only appear to be able to last about a month underwater until they go dead anyway.

I would hope that they chose a frequency that wasn't commonly used by anything else when they designed the black box locator. Indeed, there are probably very few things that emit a tone that high pitched. 37.5kHz is much higher than humans can even hear.

True, we've had false positives in the past, but you have to consider, all of those false positives have been visual sightings of things in the ocean. They ended up not being things from the plane, but rather other things. There are plenty of things in the world, so it's expected that we might see some things that aren't from a plane. But there are much fewer 37.5kHz noises in the world.

Kchrpm
April 5th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Agreed on all points. Still think it's OK for them to be cautious about what they announce as definite.

Sad, little man
April 5th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Makes you wonder what sort of signal that little bionic tortilla chip looking thingie actually outputs (the black box detector.) If it simply says "Hey, I heard something," then maybe there could be a false positive. But, if it's continually putting out everything it does hear, then hopefully whoever is listening is skilled enough to recognize what they are listening to and not falsely think they found something.

Phil_SS
April 5th, 2014, 04:37 PM
There should be a recording of what was being picked up. If they really heard it then it should be easily played for the experts.

Drachen596
April 5th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Over 1000 sonobuoys were just picked up by the Aussie Air Force here in Ft Wayne today to helped. Looked like it was a C17 they sent.

Rare White Ape
April 6th, 2014, 01:16 AM
Yeah we have the C-17s. When they were first introduced the RAAF had an all-female crew piloting one of them.

It's said that they always had the mirrors adjusted wrong and they couldn't park it on the tarmac straight, but what would I know?

mk
May 1st, 2014, 07:53 AM
Heh, GeoResonce.

https://www.metabunk.org/threads/debunked-exploration-company-georesonance-believes-it-may-have-found-mh370.3558/

Dicknose
July 29th, 2015, 03:31 PM
A flap has washed up in Reunion Islands (in the Indian Ocean)
Could be from MH370 bit needs serial numbers to be checked.

Might not help with finding the rest of the plane if this has floated for that long.
But would point to a crash in the Indian Ocean.
Or feed more conspiracy theories!

LHutton
July 30th, 2015, 01:00 AM
I'm honestly not sure where it washes up indicates anything.

Sad, little man
July 30th, 2015, 02:22 AM
I hope they can at least ID it as being from the plane so that the families can have some kind of closure. I remember reading a news article just a few months ago where there were a few family members that still believed their loved ones were out there somewhere and ok... So sad.

Rare White Ape
July 30th, 2015, 02:23 AM
It can indicate a surprisingly large amount.

It has barnacles on it. They can tell you the general direction it came from, as well as how long it took to get from there, based on the particular species and their age.

Match that up with recent data on oceanic currents and see where it takes you.

Forensics on aircraft parts in the ocean. It's a...

*puts on glasses*

...current topic.

http://images.zap2it.com/assets/p184820_n15256_cc_v4_aa/csi-miami.jpg

G'day Mate
July 30th, 2015, 02:35 AM
:lol:

LHutton
July 30th, 2015, 04:19 AM
The problem is, if the ocean was that predictable, where are the other parts?

Crazed_Insanity
July 30th, 2015, 04:36 AM
If we can confirm that debris was from that plane, then I can confidently predict that other parts of the plane are most likely in the ocean! ;)

Anyway, yeah, having closure would be nice.

Rare White Ape
July 30th, 2015, 05:08 AM

Nobody is asking where the parts are going. We want to know where that particular part came from.

You backtrack using existing data to narrow down a location. It's not prediction, it's joining the dots.

Sad, little man
July 30th, 2015, 05:55 AM
I'm curious to see if things start washing up on the shores of Madagascar next. Who knows how much debris floated right past Reunion Island? Then again, how much of the plane really stayed afloat for this long?

I read a story that said a suitcase had also washed up on the island, but being that I only read that one place, it's probably best to take that with a huge boulder of salt.

Freude am Fahren
July 30th, 2015, 07:25 AM

Nobody is asking where the parts are going. We want to know where that particular part came from.

You backtrack using existing data to narrow down a location. It's not prediction, it's joining the dots.

I get what he's saying though. If the currents were reliable enough to backtrack, you would think you would see a bunch of parts wash up in the same place. However, there are so many variables. First, if it broke up, where it broke up. At thousands of feet in the air, parts would be scattered miles by the time they started to drift. And if there was a large explosion, much of the plane may have incinerated. Second, Many parts may not even float, depends on how the plane broke up. If it was mostly intact, much of it could sink. Third, and this one is a guess, different parts with different buoyancies, weights, shapes, etc. would drift differently, if only slightly. But over months and thousands of miles, that could make a big difference.

Godson
July 30th, 2015, 08:39 AM
It would still be something to work with. Right now we have zero. Work one step at a time, plan your next move, and a huge task like this is much smaller and easier to handle.

Dicknose
July 30th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Backtracking is going to have huge error margins on a predicted start point.
It might be an estimate that is many thousand kms wide.

The main use would be, does backtracking agree with the current search area.
It probably will. But would be good in case there was some big mistake in predicting is in south east part of Indian Ocean.
Maybe even help narrow it.

MR2 Fan
July 31st, 2015, 11:15 AM
Basically all we know at this point is what we knew before...the plane crashed in the water. Beyond that, we don't know much yet, until they find more parts, but at least they have a new starting point to go from.

Sad, little man
July 31st, 2015, 11:44 AM
I would contend that we are much more certain it went down in the ocean now than we ever have been before.

MR2 Fan
July 31st, 2015, 01:16 PM
I would contend that we are much more certain it went down in the ocean now than we ever have been before.

versus being taken by a UFO

Kchrpm
July 31st, 2015, 04:32 PM
Or hijacked by terrorists and landed at a secret base to be repainted as Oceanic 815.

mk
August 2nd, 2016, 01:07 AM
Reunion stuff indicated that landing zone is more north and perhaps east.

More Inmarsat logs would be nice.

FaultyMario
November 30th, 2016, 07:22 AM
Not MH370, but a horrifying tale from an Avianca pilot describing how LaMia 2933 went down. Avianca were approaching Medellin ahead of LMI and they heard everything.

https://youtu.be/ohgkE2Po6sE

Make sure to set CC to autotranslate to English.

dodint
December 7th, 2016, 04:16 AM
2933 went down simply because they chartered a route farther than was possible given the amount of fuel the airplane was capable of holding. A very simple calculation. Just stunning negligence, really.