PDA

View Full Version : Politics

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101

Crazed_Insanity
March 2nd, 2016, 11:02 AM
I can't imagine why Christie decided to endorse Trump, unless maybe if he's looking for the V.P. position.

I'm willing to bet on the same reason.

Crazed_Insanity
March 2nd, 2016, 11:12 AM
*sigh* You don't get it. WE WOULD BE THE BULLY IN THE SITUATION. BECAUSE TRUMP IS A BULLY! He would go in to some situation, say or do something stupid, and/or try to use/show US force, and then the response from that is an attack on US soil.

One has to be crazy to start a fight on US soil. Royal Japanese Navy were nuts. So were the terrorists who flew into WTC. Those nuts weren't motivated by a Trump president.

Seriously, my trust level for Hillary is so low that I'm willing to give Trump a chance at the red button.

Enough is enough. Utilizing the fear strategy to coerce voters into voting for the lesser of the 2 evils. Fuck that!

If this election were between Hillary and Bush, I'd probably just not vote and forget about the election.

But if this election gives me an opportunity to fuck with those funding the super pacs, then I'm in.

1st choice is Sanders. 2nd choice is Trump. 3rd choice is not voting. :p

George
March 2nd, 2016, 11:24 AM
Trump can't have Christie as his running mate. They're too similar. They're both white loudmouthed New Yorkers (NJ being merely suburb of NY for the purpose of this comparison in similarity) who talk tough and anger people who don't understand how people from NY/NJ talk and act.

Trump is smart enough to choose someone who is his opposite. Think Kennedy and Johnson. I say he'll find hispanic woman from the western states, California, probably, who has strong ties to the (Catholic, presumably) church and the community, and who isn't involved with big business at all.

Just my guess, assuming such a person exists.

thesameguy
March 2nd, 2016, 11:49 AM
My fear WRT to Trump is *exactly* the same fear I have for Hillary.

Trump will say ANYTHING to get attention - I think that was an opener in this very thread a few months back. Not that long ago he was buddy-buddy with the Clintons, and now he's courting the far right by saying exactly what they want to hear. I have no faith anything coming out of his mouth has any bearing on what he actually thinks or what he'll actual do. Throw in the fact that he's a Washington outsider that nobody will trust and his options are limited. His options for starting WWIII are no better or worse than Bush's - who global leaders didn't respect either. More likely, worst case, his actions will be limited to those situations where he and Congress happen to align and we'll end up expanding the Kansas & Tennessee Experiments to a national level and that'll be that.

Which ultimately doesn't seem that much different that Hillary's results. Any good she might accidentally try and do is going to be blocked by Congress. She's a liar in the pocket of big business and I doubt world leaders will see her any differently. She will continue to sleep with banks and other 1%ers who want nothing more than to own the remaining 99%, so while she likely won't actively unravel social programs she'll indirectly force the population into them. Either way the average Joe gets hosed. I can't feel strongly about two people with different approaches who both don't give a flying fuck for We The People, and somehow, deep down, I'd might rather have a good chuckle about President Clown that President Stab Me in the Back. I have more thinking to do.

21Kid
March 2nd, 2016, 11:49 AM
...Trump is smart enough ...
:erm:

Crazed_Insanity
March 2nd, 2016, 12:43 PM
My fear WRT to Trump is *exactly* the same fear I have for Hillary.

Trump will say ANYTHING to get attention - I think that was an opener in this very thread a few months back. Not that long ago he was buddy-buddy with the Clintons, and now he's courting the far right by saying exactly what they want to hear. I have no faith anything coming out of his mouth has any bearing on what he actually thinks or what he'll actual do. Throw in the fact that he's a Washington outsider that nobody will trust and his options are limited. His options for starting WWIII are no better or worse than Bush's - who global leaders didn't respect either. More likely, worst case, his actions will be limited to those situations where he and Congress happen to align and we'll end up expanding the Kansas & Tennessee Experiments to a national level and that'll be that.

Which ultimately doesn't seem that much different that Hillary's results. Any good she might accidentally try and do is going to be blocked by Congress. She's a liar in the pocket of big business and I doubt world leaders will see her any differently. She will continue to sleep with banks and other 1%ers who want nothing more than to own the remaining 99%, so while she likely won't actively unravel social programs she'll indirectly force the population into them. Either way the average Joe gets hosed. I can't feel strongly about two people with different approaches who both don't give a flying fuck for We The People, and somehow, deep down, I'd might rather have a good chuckle about President Clown that President Stab Me in the Back. I have more thinking to do.

I completely share your sentiments.

The only reason I'd give Trump my vote over Hillary is that he's NOT supported by any super pacs...

Further, I know things won't change with Hillary or with any other seasoned politicians, Sanders will perhaps give us a slight positive change, Trump will probably just rock the boat...

I'm voting for slight positive change... or rock the boat change. If things ain't gonna change, why bother wasting time to vote?

21Kid
March 2nd, 2016, 01:30 PM
Ben Carson is pulling out...

(CNN) Ben Carson doesn't "see a political path forward" in the Republican presidential nomination process, and will not attend Thursday's GOP presidential debate in his hometown of Detroit, he said in a statement.

thesameguy
March 2nd, 2016, 01:31 PM
Didn't he just say he wasn't pulling out? :lol: Nothing says rock-solid like not believing in yourself.

Freude am Fahren
March 2nd, 2016, 01:40 PM
If things ain't gonna change, why bother wasting time to vote?

Because meanwhile, we still need to live in this country.

Sad, little man
March 2nd, 2016, 02:01 PM
Didn't he just say he wasn't pulling out? :lol: Nothing says rock-solid like not believing in yourself.

Yeah but he's not dropping out, he just says he sees no path forward... Two totally different things. ;)

Crazed_Insanity
March 2nd, 2016, 02:04 PM
FaF, plenty of folks can live in this country without voting.

I personally just don't enjoy wasting time doing things that won't change anything.

IMHO, status quo is way more dangerous and harmful than Donald Trump.

overpowered
March 2nd, 2016, 05:30 PM
Didn't he just say he wasn't pulling out? :lol: Nothing says rock-solid like not believing in yourself.That was before super Tuesday. He finally took the hint.

overpowered
March 2nd, 2016, 06:04 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/09/14/3701084/donald-trump/

This analogy reveals why the attacks on Trump are so ineffective. Recently, Rand Paul and others have taken to calling out Trump as an “entertainer,” rather than a legitimate candidate. This is as effective to running into the middle of the ring during Wrestlemania and yelling: “This is all fake!” You are correct, but you will not be received well.

thesameguy
March 2nd, 2016, 06:11 PM
Personally disagree. When you've spent a solid part of 20 years conditioning your followers to disregard fact and instead act on belief and hope, how you can possibly be surprised when a guy who <ahem> trumps your fairy tale steals all your thunder? You can't. And so the modern Republican party - a group of people conditioned to believe without regard to fact - is stolen away by a guy who tells a better story who's fucking fault is that? Frankly, how what's happening is *any* sort of a surprise is absolutely crazy to me. When you've got a clown car full of imbeciles and people came to see clowns, who is going to get all the attention? The biggest, loudest, most audacious one. Duh.

novicius
March 2nd, 2016, 06:22 PM
On point. :up:

overpowered
March 2nd, 2016, 06:45 PM
Trump scores his 21st "pants on fire" from Politifact by claiming to not know who David Duke or the KKK are.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/mar/02/donald-trump/trumps-absurd-claim-he-knows-nothing-about-former-/

overpowered
March 2nd, 2016, 06:55 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo/download/?fbid=1692641374340806

MR2 Fan
March 2nd, 2016, 07:09 PM
Personally disagree. When you've spent a solid part of 20 years conditioning your followers to disregard fact and instead act on belief and hope, how you can possibly be surprised when a guy who <ahem> trumps your fairy tale steals all your thunder? You can't. And so the modern Republican party - a group of people conditioned to believe without regard to fact - is stolen away by a guy who tells a better story who's fucking fault is that? Frankly, how what's happening is *any* sort of a surprise is absolutely crazy to me. When you've got a clown car full of imbeciles and people came to see clowns, who is going to get all the attention? The biggest, loudest, most audacious one. Duh.

:up:

21Kid
March 3rd, 2016, 06:04 AM
https://flavorwire.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/camacho.jpg?w=728&h=410&crop=1

Yw-slayer
March 3rd, 2016, 06:23 AM
Still one of the funniest movies ever. Mike Judge is a genius.

21Kid
March 3rd, 2016, 07:26 AM
#freechristie (http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2016/03/03/chris-christie-stare-donald-trump-president-pkg-moos-erin.cnn) :lol:

21Kid
March 3rd, 2016, 07:26 AM
Still one of the funniest movies ever. Mike Judge is a genius.

And becoming more relevant every day. :smh:

Sad, little man
March 3rd, 2016, 07:55 AM
Right wingers really love the word tyranny.

Freude am Fahren
March 3rd, 2016, 07:59 AM
Only make sense they'd nominate a (probable) tyrant...

overpowered
March 3rd, 2016, 09:31 AM
Romney rips Trump a new one.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/03/03/mitt-romney-donald-trump/

Crazed_Insanity
March 3rd, 2016, 09:58 AM
I am really enjoying seeing the Republican Party self destructing like this.

So typical of the Republicans. You bitch and whine about the opposition..., painting them as the devil... yet, what do YOU have to offer in return? What do you have that's better than your opposition? Nothing. Nobody. Nada. All fear tactics and nothing constructive.

Hello?!?!?!? All of your candidates are pretty much equally dumb and inexperienced. :p

Anyway, I hope the democrats won't disappoint me now. ;)

overpowered
March 3rd, 2016, 10:22 AM
Bernie's actually kind of blowing up the Democratic party as well. He's against the establishment. The vice chair of the DNC recently resigned so that she could support Bernie. The chair of the DNC is under heavy fire from a lot of people who accuse her of rigging the system for Hillary, which she's not supposed to do.

Both parties are facing big threats from non-establishment candidates, though Trump's actually leading right now and Bernie's not (at least not yet).

overpowered
March 3rd, 2016, 10:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KSd2f5uZl4

I hate having to agree with Paul Ryan. It feels wrong.

Crazed_Insanity
March 3rd, 2016, 10:28 AM
Like I said, I'm really rooting for Bernie. But if I can't have Bernie, I'm just gonna go anti-establishment.

Fingers crossed!

21Kid
March 3rd, 2016, 10:39 AM
Romney rips Trump a new one.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/03/03/mitt-romney-donald-trump/

That's probably only going to make Trump's numbers go up. :smh:

21Kid
March 3rd, 2016, 10:46 AM
HEALTHCARE REFORM TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN (https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/healthcare-reform)
Yes, it really is in all-caps. :| Basically, repeal the ACA and open it up to the free market across state lines. :| nothing new here...move along.

It really amazes me that his entire platform of Making America Great Again, is to undo everything that Obama has done in the past 7 years. You really want to go back to 2008? I honestly didn't know if we as a country were going to survive. With the Lehman brothers collapse, and the entire auto and banking industries about to go under. If Romney would have been elected, he would have let the market correct itself. Meaning it would have all burned to the ground.

That is what you want to go back to?!? :erm: I just can't wrap my head around how ANYONE could think that was a good idea.

Fogelhund
March 3rd, 2016, 11:59 AM
Jim Trumm
Several factors combined to produce Trump.
1. The GOP outsourced its communication strategy to Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and the like. Those people and corporations are in the business of selling fear. For 20 years, they've been telling people that the only reasonable response to any event is fear -- fear of terrorism, of moderate Democrats like Obama, of losing their guns, of black people, of economic calamity, of homosexuals, of the rise of other countries, of disease, of Obamacare, etc. They've created an entire fear-based culture. Reagan, for all his many faults, was a sunny, optimistic fellow who told us it was morning in America. Now the message of the GOP (crafted by Fox/Limbaugh/Beck) is that America is a shithole where you are in terrible peril. So along comes Trump who cynically exploits those fears, fashions himself as a classic authoritarian strongman who promises to keep everyone safe by being "tough."
2. The GOP allowed itself to become, in Bobby Jindal's apt phrase, the party of stupid. It denied evolution. It denied global warming. It denied geology. It denied the need for any education beyond what might be needed to get a job. It kept returning to the theory that tax cuts would produce a booming economy, despite the fact that there was no evidence that that was so. (Kansas, anyone?) It denied the importance of facts themselves. Some Republicans even denied Enlightenment principles of scientific inquiry and discourse and embraced theocracy. And there was no intellectual enforcer like a Buckley who was willing or able to call out such stupidity. Stupid people are easy for carnival barkers like Trump to manipulate.
3. The GOP was infiltrated by and is now heavily dependent on religious literalists. As Barry Goldwater pointed out years ago, those people are impossible to work with in a democratic government because they refuse to compromise. If you are acting in accordance with God's law, then even the smallest deviation from that (i.e., the compromises democracy relies on for its very survival) becomes heresy. Though Trump is far from religious, he promises no-compromise tactics in defeating ISIS, in keeping Americans "safe."
4. The GOP became the party of the Lost Cause, the party of the south. Though it drives some of my Republican friends crazy to hear this said, the party went out of its way to embrace bigoted voters. And the party encouraged their racism, especially when Obama won the presidency. But for years, Republicans thought they had to couch their racism in dog whistles and cutesy allusions. Now comes Trump who proudly disdains polite speech and openly expresses his bigotry. And the reaction is delight and relief: finally, we can say what we really think and express our prejudices -- by voting for a man who does just that.
5. The GOP adopted Leninist tactics. "No enemies to the right" became its electoral message. No matter how kooky, antidemocratic, or reactionary you were, the GOP was willing to embrace you. And so unsurprisingly, the party moved right. Far, far right. Fear of being called a RINO drove party members to extreme positions. And at the extreme end of every ideology is authoritarianism (which is true of both left and right). Today the party bears almost no resemblance to the one my parents supported. So along comes Trump, whose ideology (to the extent he has one) isn't conservative, but is authoritarian. His very campaign slogan is revanchist: Make America great again. While his policies are not in line with past GOP policies, his tone and his authoritarian style are the inevitable result of the Republican's embrace of more and more extreme ideas.
6. Trump is a celebrity. He's best known as a reality TV personality, not a politician. We live in a culture that glorifies celebrities, but for years few celebrities have identified as Republicans. The entertainment industry is overwhelmingly moderate to liberal. For years, Republicans had to make do with C-list celebrity endorsements (Ted Nugent?). Suddenly, here comes an A-list guy and the Republican faithful are delighted. Finally, a celebrity who isn't a Democrat!
There are many other factors, of course. But these, I think, are a good starting point. As an American, I am dismayed. Our democracy needs a principled, intellectually coherent, forward-looking conservative party. It doesn't have one now. And that's dangerous."

Freude am Fahren
March 3rd, 2016, 12:03 PM
Trump's response to Romney basically was "Suck my dick."

You can see how loyal he is. … I could have said Mitt, drop to your knees, he would have dropped to his knees.

21Kid
March 3rd, 2016, 12:21 PM
#freechristie (http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2016/03/03/chris-christie-stare-donald-trump-president-pkg-moos-erin.cnn) :lol:
Chris Christie vigorously defended his endorsement of Donald Trump Thursday and insisted his much-ridiculed facial expressions during Trump's press conference earlier this week did not betray regret or panic about his choice.

"No, I was not being held hostage," he said told reporters during a press conference in New Jersey. "No, I was not sitting up there thinking 'Oh my God, what have I done?'"

"I wasn't upset, I wasn't angry, I wasn't despondent," he said. "I wasn't anything other than happy that we had done as well as we had done that night, and listening to someone giving a press conference in front of the national press corps. "That's just what they would tell a hostage to say!!! :lol:

overpowered
March 3rd, 2016, 01:50 PM
Trump basically threatens Paul Ryan.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trump-sends-shot-across-speaker-ryans-bow

overpowered
March 3rd, 2016, 02:16 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo/download/?fbid=1024283214282314

Freude am Fahren
March 3rd, 2016, 05:49 PM
Just watching a bit of the debate, it kind of seems like Trump is already playing for the general election, talking about compromise and softening his stances.

Sad, little man
March 3rd, 2016, 07:05 PM
Please stop posting photos of what Detroit supposedly looks like, especially if you've never been to Detroit.

thesameguy
March 3rd, 2016, 08:20 PM
Been there. Looks like that. Streetview Brightmoor or Westwood. :shrug:

Kchrpm
March 4th, 2016, 01:06 AM
Some parts do. Some parts also look like this.

http://www.pps.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/beachcampusmartius.jpg

Or this

http://www.pps.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/riveryoga.jpg

Or this

http://plannersweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/CUSA-Detroit-Campus-Martius-Ice-Skating.jpg

Or this

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/528d0078f92ea15df0001b51/IMG_3876.JPG

Or this

http://opportunitydetroit.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/GreektownActivation-20150718-004.jpg

Meanwhile, in Los Angeles, this house is listed for $475,000: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3425922/California-home-Northridge-Los-Angeles-hits-market-475-000-CASH.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/01/03/30C5359C00000578-0-image-a-1_1454296231767.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/01/03/30C535A400000578-0-image-a-2_1454296235382.jpg

But of course, not all of Los Angeles looks like that.

Drachen596
March 4th, 2016, 02:18 AM
Wonder if Trump would be leading if there weren't 30 other people running as well instead of a one on one race like the Democrats have at this point.

LHutton
March 4th, 2016, 04:56 AM
Meanwhile, in Los Angeles, this house is listed for $475,000: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3425922/California-home-Northridge-Los-Angeles-hits-market-475-000-CASH.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/01/03/30C5359C00000578-0-image-a-1_1454296231767.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/01/03/30C535A400000578-0-image-a-2_1454296235382.jpg

But of course, not all of Los Angeles looks like that.
Blatant false advertsing, that isn't a house, it's made of wood for starters. I've seen more substantial tree houses and with better views.:)

MR2 Fan
March 4th, 2016, 05:17 AM
Wonder if Trump would be leading if there weren't 30 other people running as well instead of a one on one race like the Democrats have at this point.

Well going into Super Tuesday there were only 4 other candidates left.

Phil_SS
March 4th, 2016, 06:24 AM
HEALTHCARE REFORM TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN (https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/healthcare-reform)
Yes, it really is in all-caps. :| Basically, repeal the ACA and open it up to the free market across state lines. :| nothing new here...move along.

I'm actually in complete agreement with what he says as far as healthcare. It should be no different than car insurance and I shouldn't be saddled to what my company decides is best for me. I should be able to make that decision.

As long as they keep the basic rights of ACA; preexisting conditions, yearly checkups, coverage for child vaccinations etc. I'm ok if they get rid of it for a plan like he is stating.

I honestly believe they passed the ACA like it was to cause this type of reaction and ultimately get to what they really wanted. All the politicians are bought by the insurance companies so it was gonna be very hard to get them to vote for true reform. So they passed something that was half way there. And now it is seen as the great evil and it needs to be changed.

I think we are too far gone for a government system.

FaultyMario
March 4th, 2016, 07:52 AM
Do you not have laws providing for fair and balanced media coverage during an election?

George
March 4th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Meanwhile, in Los Angeles...

I recognize that kitchen from another thread.

It's nice to finally see the outside of Tom Servo's new house.

:p

thesameguy
March 4th, 2016, 09:26 AM
:LOL:

That house isn't half a million dollars. The land that it's on is. Happens quite frequently in metro California.

Kchrpm
March 4th, 2016, 09:35 AM
I believe you, just saying, one picture/neighborhood isn't a good representation of an entire city :)

thesameguy
March 4th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Totally - but it also doesn't make the one picture/neighborhood inaccurate.

Greater LA has all sorts of scary places, from violent to abandoned, but nobody gets their panties in a wad when people portray Los Angeles as "gangland." It's a pretty inaccurate portrayal - most of LA is really nice and really safe. So is Detroit. Doesn't mean there aren't some seriously effed up places that fell apart when the jobs left.

Kchrpm
March 4th, 2016, 10:24 AM
That's why I didn't say "Detroit doesn't look like that" in my post of all of the other pictures of Detroit. Detroit looks like all of those things. People tend to focus on just the worst parts and not even know the good stuff exists, let alone talk about or appreciate it. If you're a professional comedian, hey, that's how you put food on the table, go for it, but I try to present the other side when I can to other people who only know about Detroit from comedians and dire reports.

LHutton
March 4th, 2016, 10:53 AM
:LOL:

That house isn't half a million dollars. The land that it's on is. Happens quite frequently in metro California.
It's basically the cost of the land, minus the cost of knocking down the shed.

thesameguy
March 4th, 2016, 11:00 AM
I think there are different rules for rehab versus knockdown. Someone who lives in SoCal might know better, but I believe there can be cost incentives for doing the former.. structural upgrades you don't have to do on old construction. Having a seventy year old home might add value.

overpowered
March 4th, 2016, 11:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1DqGXB4Ffs

LHutton
March 4th, 2016, 11:21 AM
I think there are different rules for rehab versus knockdown. Someone who lives in SoCal might know better, but I believe there can be cost incentives for doing the former.. structural upgrades you don't have to do on old construction. Having a seventy year old home might add value.
Even the Blair witch would turn her nose up at that place, and that was the worst film ever made. Rehab? It looks like the sort of abandoned property a heroin addict would hang out in before rehab. It's even tried to eat itself it's that bad.

Alan P
March 4th, 2016, 11:58 AM
Do you not have laws providing for fair and balanced media coverage during an election?

Not sure if serious meme.

Freude am Fahren
March 4th, 2016, 12:40 PM
The were regulations on amount of time you give candidates, but they might be gone? Who knows these days.

Crazed_Insanity
March 4th, 2016, 01:41 PM
I'm actually in complete agreement with what he says as far as healthcare. It should be no different than car insurance and I shouldn't be saddled to what my company decides is best for me. I should be able to make that decision.

As long as they keep the basic rights of ACA; preexisting conditions, yearly checkups, coverage for child vaccinations etc. I'm ok if they get rid of it for a plan like he is stating.

I honestly believe they passed the ACA like it was to cause this type of reaction and ultimately get to what they really wanted. All the politicians are bought by the insurance companies so it was gonna be very hard to get them to vote for true reform. So they passed something that was half way there. And now it is seen as the great evil and it needs to be changed.

I think we are too far gone for a government system.

Relying on government to keep cost down is a pretty foolish thing to do.

I really don't understand why Americans' healthcare insurance has to be tied to their employment. Just pay us more money and let us buy our own insurance!

Anyway, having no government intervention, healthcare cost skyrockets. With Obamacare, we have bunch of screw ups and no guarantee of controlling cost in the future. Damned if we do damned if we don't.

This is why I'm anti-establishment. Regardless of party affiliation, as long as we keep on voting the safe bet 'established' candidates backed by super pacs funded by you don't know who... things will never change.

I think the dumb republican voters are getting wind of this. I hope the democrats will wake up to this and start to support Bernie more.

If Hillary wins the election, it's going to more of the same... and then blame the lack of progress or perhaps even the fuck ups on the Republicans...

I really think in the future, we voters really need to just support whoever the super pacs are not supporting.

thesameguy
March 4th, 2016, 03:01 PM
I think I might vote for that.

Tom Servo
March 4th, 2016, 03:41 PM
Detroit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVDDYQlmq0w

Tom Servo
March 4th, 2016, 03:45 PM
I really don't understand why Americans' healthcare insurance has to be tied to their employment. Just pay us more money and let us buy our own insurance!

Because if you do that, people, especially younger ones, turn around and spend it on nicer cars instead of health insurance. Then you end up with only people who use the system a lot (chronically ill, older) being in the system, and that makes their insurance rates skyrocket if they're going to cover the costs.

overpowered
March 4th, 2016, 04:47 PM
This is surprising. No wait. No. It's the opposite of that.

http://bipartisanreport.com/2016/03/03/busted-anaheim-kkk-member-unemployed-has-jewish-ancestry-and-lives-at-home-with-mommy/

Drachen596
March 4th, 2016, 05:42 PM
Well going into Super Tuesday there were only 4 other candidates left.

right but that's still the vote split four ways instead of two. i was wondering how he'd be doing if it was just him vs Rubio, Cruz or whoevers the 4th one instead of him vs all four.

btw if you've ever watched news in the US none of the outlets are fair and unbalanced. its part of why i just read as many as possible and then read stuff from BBC and other UK papers on US politics and such.

Alan P
March 4th, 2016, 06:09 PM
I'm no so convinced the BBC is as impartial as they're supposed to be either. Especially when it comes to UK Politics. When the government controls your purse strings (We are at least supposed to pay a licence fee to watch live TV Broadcasts. On any channel. And this money goes to funding the BBC.) there's a temptation to not exactly rail on them or criticise them in any major, persistent way.

LHutton
March 5th, 2016, 04:10 AM
I watch the BBC, Ch4 and two foreign news stations and I can safely say the BBC is biased but they all are in some respects. Highly selective reporting is an honest way of being dishonest.

Yw-slayer
March 5th, 2016, 05:25 AM
I'm no so convinced the BBC is as impartial as they're supposed to be either. Especially when it comes to UK Politics. When the government controls your purse strings (We are at least supposed to pay a licence fee to watch live TV Broadcasts. On any channel. And this money goes to funding the BBC.) there's a temptation to not exactly rail on them or criticise them in any major, persistent way.

It depends on what you read. The Murdoch-owned press are always keen to try and attack it. It's certainly far more reliable than a lot of other news sources.

overpowered
March 5th, 2016, 08:43 AM
Make Jerry Springer the host of the next Republican Debate.

https://www.change.org/p/republican-party-make-jerry-springer-the-host-of-the-next-republican-debate

overpowered
March 5th, 2016, 08:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNu0CRgMM0o

LHutton
March 5th, 2016, 09:55 AM
So Erdogan is now officially a dictator.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35735793

Turkey's biggest newspaper, Zaman, has condemned its takeover by the authorities in a defiant last edition published just before police raided it.

Saturday's edition said Turkey's press had experienced "one of the darkest days in its history".

Turkish police raided Zaman's offices hours after a court ruling placed it under state control, but managers were still able to get the edition to print.

Zaman readers have protested against the takeover outside the offices.

Police dispersed the demonstration, numbering about 500 people, with tear gas and water cannon. The newspaper's supporters chanted "Free press cannot be silenced".

I see your true colours shining through....:sing:

MR2 Fan
March 5th, 2016, 11:03 AM
It depends on what you read. The Murdoch-owned press are always keen to try and attack it. It's certainly far more reliable than a lot of other news sources.

Every time I see Murdoch in the news I'm hoping age has caught up with him and it's an obituary but no, he just got married

overpowered
March 5th, 2016, 11:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw41BDhI_K8

Freude am Fahren
March 5th, 2016, 05:32 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--HXgEwB0j--/xz7pkahkzeglvekdmjac.jpg

Jason
March 5th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Um.

FaultyMario
March 5th, 2016, 06:21 PM
Shouldn't Kansas going to BS be big news, Isn't it considered part of the Clinton stronghold?

overpowered
March 5th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Clinton still demolished him in Louisiana, enough that she still gets more delegates even though he won two states and she only won one.

Godson
March 5th, 2016, 07:21 PM
That's it, trump needs to fucking go.

LHutton
March 6th, 2016, 06:24 AM
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2016/03/dark-moment-turkish-media-160306074415875.html

Another dark moment for the Turkish media

Turkish authorities seize country's largest newspaper

In the comments:

For a man who once likened Assad to Hitler - it's funny how Erdogan continues to trail blaze his own path toward his own kingdom being set up on a path of silencing the opposition, oppression, bombing threats and using refugees and the blanket cry of terrorism to become an equally cynical and manipulative Hypocrite of Tyranny!

overpowered
March 6th, 2016, 06:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LzT6My_48Q

overpowered
March 6th, 2016, 07:01 AM
https://www.facebook.com/photo/download/?fbid=1271291006220235

overpowered
March 6th, 2016, 07:11 AM
I don't agree with her apparent support of Drumpf, but she makes some good points along the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srGlyFyghRk

overpowered
March 6th, 2016, 07:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg0pO9VG1J8

FaultyMario
March 6th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Clinton still demolished him in Louisiana, enough that she still gets more delegates even though he won two states and she only won one.

I read 538's "delegate pace" and now understand that he is coming short of his needed momentum gains.

Which, If I were to apply my experience from Mexican politics to your race, it'd tell me that the Clintons are frauding in the places where Sanders doesn't have good representation, they're probably getting the boxes pregnant 99 to 1 to come up with such leads.

FaultyMario
March 6th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Bill, what's your stance on the Cardiff No Rail Trail movement. What are the positions?

overpowered
March 6th, 2016, 09:11 AM
I haven't really been paying attention to it. I suspect it's just going to be another MUP where I have to dodge pedestrians. I suspect the crossing points will also be more restrictive than the 101 is now. I generally prefer the road unless the path is in an area where there won't be a lot of foot traffic. Cardiff/Encinitas will have a lot of foot traffic.

Crazed_Insanity
March 6th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Because if you do that, people, especially younger ones, turn around and spend it on nicer cars instead of health insurance. Then you end up with only people who use the system a lot (chronically ill, older) being in the system, and that makes their insurance rates skyrocket if they're going to cover the costs.

Currently we have govt mandate to buy car insurance and we don't need a govt website for it. We also don't have to worry about losing our auto insurance when we lose our job.

Crazed_Insanity
March 6th, 2016, 01:08 PM
According to polls, sanders can beat trump with wider margin than Hillary..., then why is she still leading the democratic race?!?!?!

Not good.

Tom Servo
March 6th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Currently we have govt mandate to buy car insurance and we don't need a govt website for it. We also don't have to worry about losing our auto insurance when we lose our job.

You don't actually have a mandate to buy car insurance. You only have to have it if you want the privilege of owning a car.

Crazed_Insanity
March 6th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Point is we don't need govt to get involved in auto insurance. As for medical insurance, we could also do similarly. For the privilege of living in the US, buy health insurance or face with additional taxes. Govt can then reward/compensate these taxes to the medical insurance companies appropriately or perhaps just give to people with preexisting conditions who have extremely high healthcare cost.

Point is govt should just have a regulatory role instead of being involved running it. It's not like this is a business that nobody wants to be in....

We absolutely should have universal healthcare, I just don't trust government can do it better and cheaper.

overpowered
March 6th, 2016, 03:29 PM
The Portland, Maine democratic caucus apparently had unprecedented turnout. I would guess that works in favor of Bernie.

http://www.wmtw.com/politics/maine-democratic-caucuses-underway-sunday/38370544

Tom Servo
March 6th, 2016, 03:37 PM
The point is, every other first world nation has already worked out this problem, but for some reason we can't/won't.

Godson
March 6th, 2016, 03:40 PM
If trump is elected, I'm moving to Marseille France.

thesameguy
March 6th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Point is we don't need govt to get involved in auto insurance.

If you look at it the other way, maybe we do need the government helping us buy auto insurance. Auto insurance is a racket because it's a for-profit business. We're required by law to participate in it, but the government says nothing when your insurer acts against you. There are state minimums which don't cover shit - that $25k limit means if you're in anything beyond a fender bender you're going OOP or suing the other party - assuming they have anything worth suing for. Although the state requires insurance to legally drive, the penalty for driving without insurance is a pittance, and does the guy you hit absolutely no good - if you follow the law and get creamed by someone who doesn't, you have zero recourse. Even the other party is properly insured, there is no guarantee their insurer is the same quality yours is - so if something goes wrong you may be for spending a LOT of time arguing with the other guy's insurance trying to beat what they owe you out them. Or you hire an attorney, who may not even consider your case if there isn't any money for them on the other side. The regulations set certain minimum and maximum costs, but does nothing to regulate performance - how long they hold claims, how they evaluate claims, how people with nothing get insurance to cover themselves against people who have everything. California has reasonably good consumer protections, but in other states they can use your employment, credit report, and other totally unrelated stats to squeeze you for more money.

If you ask me, auto insurance is a disaster. It's so bad we have an entire subindustry (lawyers) that exist to oversee and moderate it. As a model, auto insurance is the reason to look strongly as government provided healthcare.... aside from the likelihood that it's a good idea in and of itself.

overpowered
March 6th, 2016, 03:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKinJblt7fo

overpowered
March 6th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Maine's a small state, so not a huge win in delegates but it was by a big margin, with Bernie taking about 2/3rds of the vote.

It does nullify her win in Louisiana though, giving Bernie a 3 delegate advantage for the weekend.

Here's hoping that the debate turns around some voters in Michigan.

overpowered
March 6th, 2016, 05:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwYmcbRYi1w

Whoops. We booked the wrong guy to bash Bernie.

Kchrpm
March 6th, 2016, 07:19 PM
SOCIALISM!!!!!!! EVVVVVVIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Wait, details? Information? CAN'T HAVE IT!

overpowered
March 6th, 2016, 07:55 PM
Dammit. I hate being in a position where I'm on the same side as a Fox News host, again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w56l4Y4gW2g

overpowered
March 6th, 2016, 08:02 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo/download/?fbid=1026157634094872

It should also be pointed out that the automotive bailout was tied to the bank bailout. In order to vote for the automotive bailout, Bernie would have had to vote for the bank bailout.

LHutton
March 7th, 2016, 01:26 AM
https://www.facebook.com/photo/download/?fbid=1026157634094872

It should also be pointed out that the automotive bailout was tied to the bank bailout. In order to vote for the automotive bailout, Bernie would have had to vote for the bank bailout.
Quite often these bailouts are falsely labelled and you're not really bailing out the company, or the country, so much as you're bailing out the banks that lent to them.

overpowered
March 7th, 2016, 08:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W5e7AwqksU

thesameguy
March 7th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Completely agree. Trump is a loud-mouth, but he isn't anywhere near as anti-people as Cruz is.

Crazed_Insanity
March 7th, 2016, 09:40 AM
If you look at it the other way, maybe we do need the government helping us buy auto insurance. Auto insurance is a racket because it's a for-profit business. We're required by law to participate in it, but the government says nothing when your insurer acts against you. There are state minimums which don't cover shit - that $25k limit means if you're in anything beyond a fender bender you're going OOP or suing the other party - assuming they have anything worth suing for. Although the state requires insurance to legally drive, the penalty for driving without insurance is a pittance, and does the guy you hit absolutely no good - if you follow the law and get creamed by someone who doesn't, you have zero recourse. Even the other party is properly insured, there is no guarantee their insurer is the same quality yours is - so if something goes wrong you may be for spending a LOT of time arguing with the other guy's insurance trying to beat what they owe you out them. Or you hire an attorney, who may not even consider your case if there isn't any money for them on the other side. The regulations set certain minimum and maximum costs, but does nothing to regulate performance - how long they hold claims, how they evaluate claims, how people with nothing get insurance to cover themselves against people who have everything. California has reasonably good consumer protections, but in other states they can use your employment, credit report, and other totally unrelated stats to squeeze you for more money.

If you ask me, auto insurance is a disaster. It's so bad we have an entire subindustry (lawyers) that exist to oversee and moderate it. As a model, auto insurance is the reason to look strongly as government provided healthcare.... aside from the likelihood that it's a good idea in and of itself.

For sure auto insurance ain't perfect, but I can't see how govt can do better.

Do you honestly believe US post office is superior to UPS, fedex, etc?

I also try to avoid DMV and try to do as much as possible at AAA.

I know we have proven ourselves capable of going to the moon and back, but if SpaceX can do it cheaper and better, why must NASA maintain a monopoly on space exploration?

Like I said govt should just have a regulatory role, unless if it's a totally new but important industry that no businessmen want to risk their money... Then perhaps govt can step up. Such as CA earthquake insurance..., if no private companies want to get involved, then it makes sense for govt to step in.

thesameguy
March 7th, 2016, 10:02 AM
You're talking about some very complex systems - I think there is no academically right or wrong way. There are plenty of examples where private industry turns things into a complete cluster fuck and there are plenty of examples where government does.

The USPS is not inherently flawed, and it actually does a pretty good job at what it does. The problem with the USPS is that, like other government entities, it is slow to change. The USPS did not respond to threats from UPS and especially FedEx - but remember the USPS was very successful for a very long time. Change was hard. There is no doubt that it didn't respond quickly with faster services, tracking, business offerings, and customer service and fell way behind as a result. However, the USPS had a huge ground footprint that the specialty carriers did not which gave it a special set of abilities and a special set of hindrances. There is a reason SmartPost etc. exists - the USPS is very good at last mile. I would say with high confidence USPS 2016 is making big strides - I work with a company that does a fair amount of mailing - thousands of pieces monthly - and the USPS's improvement/recovery is pronounced. Whether they can successfully compete has yet to be seen, but they are definitely putting the right foot forwards.

The stereotypical government entity sucks because we have this nasty habit of running government entities "like businesses" but we're modeling the businesses like big corporations. That is a problem. Big corporations are beholden to the bottom line - fuck the customer, we're in it for money. That is not the way to run a government. The government should never be a self-interest, the government interest should always be the customer, the citizen. When you tell your government unit to be mindful of the bottom line and to compete with other entities for tax dollars corners are cut and the only group that suffers is the citizen - it's not like a shitty police force or DMV office or EPA outpost is going to go out of business, they'll just keep shorting the last step of the process - the citizen - until the numbers work.

I am scared of big government and I have no idea how you fix or even start to address its problems, but 1) Leaving the welfare of citizens to the private sector is a terrible idea, b) Making the assumption there is a singular right way and a wrong way is folly, III) What worked in the past is not a strong indicator of what will work in the future when it comes to these topics.

I believe the first step is taking private money out of the government and ensuring the focus of all government activity is focused on the citizen and not business. I believe you can't sort anything out while Comcast influences the FCC, while Blue Shield influences DHHS, Koch influences the EPA, etc. It just can't happen. It just can't happen. Once "the system" has been stabilized and there is confidence that government mandates are being made for correct and defensible reasons you can start to evaluate whether the government can in fact do things efficiently and properly. Until then, the only thing that anyone can reasonably know is that the government is compromised and not operating optimally - or even sensibly.

21Kid
March 7th, 2016, 10:33 AM
To My President,

I sincerely hope that this reaches you, as far too often praise is hard to come by. Apologies to people who deserve it perhaps even less so.

I did not vote for you. Either time. I have voted Republican for the entirety of my life.

I proudly wore pins and planted banners displaying my Republican loyalty. I was very vocal in my opposition to you–particularly the ACA.

Before I briefly explain my story allow me to first say this: I am so very sorry. I understand written content cannot convey emotions very well–but my level of conviction has me in tears as I write this. I was so very wrong. So very very wrong.

You saved my life. I want that to sink into your ears and mind. My President, you saved my life, and I am eternally grateful.I have a 'pre-existing condition' and so could never purchase health insurance. Only after the ACA came into being could I be covered. Put simply to not take up too much of your time if you are in fact taking the time to read this: I would not be alive without access to care I received due to your law.

So thank you from a dumb young man who thought he knew it all and who said things about you that he now regrets. Thank you for serving me even when I didn't vote for you.Thank you for being my President.

Honored to have lived under your leadership and guidance,

Brent Nathan Brown

Crazed_Insanity
March 7th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Corporations can indeed become evil, that's why we absolutely need somebody to regulate them. That's where government comes in. Regulators also shouldn't be sleeping with the folks that they are regulating! This is something we badly need to fix right now. This is why I'm 'anti-establishment'. Regardless of whether it's the Bushes or the Clintons..., they're already bought or at least influenced... that's probably why we still don't have any good financial reforms and prosecuted no bankers thus far. This is the area I hope Bernie will begin to fix.

As for problems with govt run entities..., like I've said, we've all seen what government can be capable of when working ideally. We were able to reach the MOON! However, in most cases, govt entities end up too bureaucratic. Yes, they don't care about profit..., but they also don't end up caring about the citizens either. They become so massively inefficient careless entities. All it cares about is status quo and kick the problems down the road. In a way, this is how we end up with huge deficits... and often end up not able to achieve anything.

At least private corporations can go bankrupt and we can get rid of it. What the heck are we suppose to do with the US government? It can print its own money, the only way for it to die is probably we citizens exercising our 2nd amendment rights.

I am scared of big government and I have no idea how you fix or even start to address its problems, but 1) Leaving the welfare of citizens to the private sector is a terrible idea, b) Making the assumption there is a singular right way and a wrong way is folly, III) What worked in the past is not a strong indicator of what will work in the future when it comes to these topics.

Regarding your points: 1) I agree we can't leave the welfare of the citizens completely on private sector, we do need regulators to looks after the people's interests.Private for profit companies for sure won't look after the welfare of consumers. b) I also agree with you there, I do agree with universal healthcare, but for sure I don't think government should be the only healthcare provider though. I just don't trust government capable of doing a better job than the private sector... especially when the issue is so polarizing. Imagine back then we have the country so polarized with regard whether to goto the moon or not... do you really believe NASA can successfully get to the moon and back with half of the country not on board with it? iii) We can learn a lot from history... whether our own or other nations. We just have to learn to combine what works in the past and we have to have bi-partisan agreement... then we might have something successful.

I dunno, maybe we should just have an interim Republican healthcare and a democratic healthcare and once you commit, you can't switch.... it'll be a generational experiment... let's see which system wins. Losers will also just die out so in the end everyone living healthily should be happy. ;)

MR2 Fan
March 7th, 2016, 11:27 AM
I believe that any large entity, whether it's a government or corporation is slower to adapt and change than smaller ones, it's just the nature of the beast...unless there are major changes in management and communication style.

One other thing I want to discuss, although this kind of goes to the "downfall of American society" post as well, quarterly profits. Wall Street seems to be currently built on a quarterly profit model. Investors jump in and jump out....CEO's and execs come in, get big profits for themselves and their higher ups, make money for investors, then suck the company dry and jump to another one to start over again, or get a golden parachute when forced out.

overpowered
March 7th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Every president we've ever had has been descended from people from the British Isles. Kennedy was the only one without ancestry from Britain itself, having his ancestry be from Ireland. Even Obama's mom is of mostly English descent. Sanders (Polish-Russian), Rubio (Cuban) or Kasich (Czech-Croatian) would be the first with no ancestry from the British Isles.

Clinton is English-Scottish-Welsh-French
Trump is German-Scottish
Cruz is Cuban-Spanish-English-Italian

I know none this really matters. It's just kind of interesting trivia to me.

The British ancestry candidates are leading the polls and the delegate counts for now, so this kind of history is not looking all that likely.

thesameguy
March 7th, 2016, 11:39 AM
To be clear, I don't think corporations are evil. I think things would be better off if they were. The problem is that they are amoral and motivated [I]legally motivated only by duty to their shareholders. If they were moral - even differently moral - it would be easier to understand their motivations and predict their decisionmaking. Since they act only in the interest of the bottom line, and sometimes those calculations are highly obfuscated, it is not possible to predict what a company will do at any moment in time. They won't choose any path because it is good or evil - they will choose the path that they believe in the long run will get them the most money.

With that as the platform, their involvement in government is doubly troubling. They back whatever politician is going to maximize their calculations without regard for incidental casualties along the way. When you have people in charge of other people who are influenced by people who don't care about other people you have chaos. And that is what we have - we have laws which contradict themselves and regulations which over-penalize some situations while ignoring others. We have law that are couched as being in our own best interest and very well might be but when look at the bigger picture and the pieces in play you can't take for granted that pot is illegal because it's bad because it very well might be illegal because pot is bad for Philip Morris. There should never be a time when the motivations behind a law are called into question - I may not agree with all the laws but I should be confident they were made because some amount of evidence indicated they were a good idea and not because the evidence indicated they would be good for business. That creates doubt about the whole fucking system.

NASA could be inherently flawed because it's tied to the government, but it could be flawed because 50 years later Lockheed Martin's lobbyists have paid enough politicians to weasel their way in. You need look no further than the US military to see evidence of how that works on a massive scale. Someone smart once warned us to beware the military industrial complex but maybe he should have expanded that warning to include government in general.

As much as I like the idea about privatization for the sake of letting the market sort the good business from the bad, the issue is that you cannot leave the welfare of people in unstable hands. The downward spiral of the Big 3 have left entire portions of this country destitute, and the recent GM implosion brought that all back to light again. There are so many examples of corporate American ruining lives in the last 15-20 years that you really have to question whether improved efficiencies and economies along the way are worth running the perpetual risk of failing, leaving people out in the cold. I mean, if everyone gets a government token to "buy" health care and Blue Shield explodes, then what? Too big to fail? Sudden government bail out? How is the government writing a billion dollar check now any better than them waiting ten million dollars annually for decades? When you're talking about hundreds or even thousands of people having their lives royally fucked because their employer made a bad mistake that sucks, but it's not world-ending. When you have millions or tens of millions or hundreds of millions of people in that boat, maybe ultimate efficiency is less important than ultimate reliability. Maybe paying a little extra along the way and enduring some waste is a price worth paying.

At this point I am not arguing for any specific approach. I see merit in both. But I do know you can't get anything done when people you don't know are exerting unknown amounts of influence to achieve unknown ends - and you shouldn't when the public hangs in the balance. You just shouldn't.

thesameguy
March 7th, 2016, 11:42 AM
I believe that any large entity, whether it's a government or corporation is slower to adapt and change than smaller ones, it's just the nature of the beast...unless there are major changes in management and communication style.

Even corporate America is well aware of this. That's why big, slow moving companies regularly gobble up small, fast moving companies. It's difficult to innovate when you have a lot of inertia, so instead you let innovation happen externally and then acquire it. I don't know how you apply that concept to the government, but I think it's one worth exploring.

Crazed_Insanity
March 7th, 2016, 12:14 PM
I also have no issues with Govt providing social safety nets for those screwed over by private failures. Bailout money really should just go to unemployment benefits.

I think the main danger for government entities is allowing them to run something continuously and expect it to be sustainable. Regularly visiting the moon would not be sustainable.

Only sustainable profits can allow something to be sustainable. So I really think healthcare must be eventually privatized.

If it doesn't make money going to the moon, then maybe we shouldn't go there regularly. Only if we all deemed it to be super important to get to the moon, then perhaps govt can foot the bill and go there regularly and absorb such cost... when the country is divided, I think it's just tough to get it done right.

Lastly, I agree most of our politicians are compromised... and it'll be even harder to get them to get anything done.

This is why my 'anti-establishment' voting strategy... either Sanders, or Trump. Of course preferably not Trump! ;)

thesameguy
March 7th, 2016, 12:20 PM
R&D is always hard to justify. Sending someone to the moon was probably stupid in the first place, but it gave the country something to rally around that didn't involve dropping bombs, and it's very possible research was done that had legitimate benefits to the population at large. R&D is always speculative and not every venture bears fruit, but I do believe that far-off accomplishments can be morale boosters, and I do think there are valuable resources to be gathered in space, there is a benefit to furthering our ability to not be limited to one rock in space, and I think there could be benefits to everyone's lives through development done for this effort. We didn't get Viagra because we wanted to give old people boners and we didn't get durable cell phones because someone in 1960 knew we were going to have cell phones. Sometimes beneficial developments come from unrelated efforts.

I do not think that we can leave healthcare up to private companies. I don't think private companies can or will see the big picture, the long term. You can look at generally shrinking R&D budgets as evidence of most companies inabilities to see - because they cannot monetize - long-term efforts with uncertain payouts anymore. Healthcare is by its nature long-term and uncertain, and in a way that there is no business precedent to look at. The railroads were a big project, the space program was a big project, and none of those projects even touch on the length of a modern human life. Giving people the tools and setting them up so they can be successful for 80 years is a difficulty private America is not willing or able to consider. We're talking about managing things that, at their completion, will be nearly 30% the age of the entire country. That's pretty crazy.

mk
March 7th, 2016, 12:39 PM
(no idea what have been said)

IMO, all oligopoly must be partly public.
Means that I don't trust "profit by law."

MR2 Fan
March 7th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Every president we've ever had has been descended from people from the British Isles. Kennedy was the only one without ancestry from Britain itself, having his ancestry be from Ireland. Even Obama's mom is of mostly English descent. Sanders (Polish-Russian), Rubio (Cuban) or Kasich (Czech-Croatian) would be the first with no ancestry from the British Isles.

Clinton is English-Scottish-Welsh-French
Trump is German-Scottish
Cruz is Cuban-Spanish-English-Italian

I know none this really matters. It's just kind of interesting trivia to me.

The British ancestry candidates are leading the polls and the delegate counts for now, so this kind of history is not looking all that likely.

http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/a675wWA_460s.jpg

LHutton
March 8th, 2016, 02:14 AM
First retarded POTUS.

LHutton
March 8th, 2016, 05:36 AM
I also have no issues with Govt providing social safety nets for those screwed over by private failures. Bailout money really should just go to unemployment benefits.

I think the main danger for government entities is allowing them to run something continuously and expect it to be sustainable. Regularly visiting the moon would not be sustainable.

Only sustainable profits can allow something to be sustainable. So I really think healthcare must be eventually privatized.

If it doesn't make money going to the moon, then maybe we shouldn't go there regularly. Only if we all deemed it to be super important to get to the moon, then perhaps govt can foot the bill and go there regularly and absorb such cost... when the country is divided, I think it's just tough to get it done right.

Lastly, I agree most of our politicians are compromised... and it'll be even harder to get them to get anything done.

This is why my 'anti-establishment' voting strategy... either Sanders, or Trump. Of course preferably not Trump! ;)
What starts off as non-beneficial sometimes ends up beneficial. E.g. the first cars were slower than horses. The first plane was pretty useless too. The rockets made by the Chinese in the 13th century were also pretty useless. First computers weren't terribly useful either. Yet add a century or few and they're the backbone of modern civilisation. Early internet was pretty trash too.

Crazed_Insanity
March 8th, 2016, 09:15 AM
1st cars, planes, rockets were not developed by the governments and then perfected by the governments. Well, maybe rockets were...

Healthcare isn't like internet. It wasn't invented by the government. Internet also didn't become so popular by being under government control only.

I do want universal healthcare and I believe it's the right thing to do, but I just don't trust the government doing it alone. I also don't trust for profit companies doing it alone. I still think it's best to have private companies do it, along with government oversight. it's just too bad government oversite can be bought sometimes... so I guess there's really no good way to do this.

Most important things we need now is figure out a ways to prevent corruption of politicians and prevent private companies from becoming too big to fail.

Without somebody like Bernie, we're screwed.

overpowered
March 8th, 2016, 09:37 AM
https://www.facebook.com/photo/download/?fbid=791184334352324

Crazed_Insanity
March 8th, 2016, 09:42 AM
I thought only 30% of Republicans would bomb Agrabah... so Trump supporters are for sure dumber.

In other news, 44% of the democrats would welcome refugees from Agrabah!
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/12/24/44-democrats-welcome-refugees-agrabah-home-disneys-aladdin/

Disney is what's dumbing down our country I guess... :(

LHutton
March 8th, 2016, 09:44 AM
1st cars, planes, rockets were not developed by the governments and then perfected by the governments. Well, maybe rockets were...

Healthcare isn't like internet. It wasn't invented by the government. Internet also didn't become so popular by being under government control only.

I do want universal healthcare and I believe it's the right thing to do, but I just don't trust the government doing it alone. I also don't trust for profit companies doing it alone. I still think it's best to have private companies do it, along with government oversight. it's just too bad government oversite can be bought sometimes... so I guess there's really no good way to do this.

Most important things we need now is figure out a ways to prevent corruption of politicians and prevent private companies from becoming too big to fail.

Without somebody like Bernie, we're screwed.
I'd argue that planes were too. The advances in aviation technology. The exponential leap from 1940-1950 was certainly government funded, as was the development thereafter. Jet airliners were a direct outcome of government funded research during WWII. It was also most definitely Cold War era missile guidance, code breaking and nuclear weapons development that lead to advanced electronics. How much does a modern car owe to modern electronics and computer-aided design? Quite a bit. Internet, started by government funding.

Crazed_Insanity
March 8th, 2016, 11:34 AM
We definitely have a lot to thank the govt for the tech developed for defense and space programs.

However, do we really need the govt to own GM or Boeing or the internet?

MR2 Fan
March 8th, 2016, 12:19 PM
We definitely have a lot to thank the govt for the tech developed for defense and space programs.

However, do we really need the govt to own GM or Boeing or the internet?

Own? No
Regulate? Yes

Crazed_Insanity
March 8th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Likewise, I believe government should regulate healthcare services and not actually try to run them themselves! Unless nobody wants to get into such business, only then would it make sense for government to step up and actually do something if it is something socially important.

JoshInKC
March 8th, 2016, 04:43 PM
We absolutely should have universal healthcare, I just don't trust government can do it better and cheaper.
They probably couldn't do it any worse or more expensively. We have by the highest healthcare costs in the first world by a good margin - partially due to profit incentive by the insurance companies, but also largely due to bureaucracy. Look around and you can find plenty of examples of 900 bed hospitals with 900 billers on the payroll to deal with the complexities of the various insurers and plans. A single-payer model would eliminate much of this.

overpowered
March 8th, 2016, 04:53 PM
Trump says he'll bring jobs back to the U.S. Hmm. He sure has shipped a lot of jobs elsewhere.

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/trump-outsourcing-includes-home-goods-daughters-190543492.html

overpowered
March 8th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Bernie shot up in the polls after the last debate but was still down by several points.

At the moment he's leading 398,481 to 380,679. Close, but opposite of the polls. I wonder how much of a factor the open primary there is? Independents and even Republicans can request a Democratic ballot in the primary.

Hillary is crushing him in Mississippi, a state which the GOP will take in November anyway.

overpowered
March 8th, 2016, 07:36 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo/download/?fbid=930239053749140

Yeti
March 9th, 2016, 04:49 AM
Michigan indeed FELT THE BERN.

Sad, little man
March 9th, 2016, 06:21 AM
I'm proud that my state gave the best guy the win, but a mixture of saddened and relieved that he will probably not win the nomination.

You know it's a messed up election when the person you voted for is not the person you think would be best to win the nomination.

Regarding the "Bernie is more electable" schtick, again, at this stage it's completely foolish to talk about electability.

Clinton has been berated for years by the Republicans because they knew she would be the one to beat in 2016. She has been dragged though the mud, and all her skeletons are in full view, and she's still somewhat electable.

Bernie has been totally ignored as far as Republican attacks go. If he ever got the nomination, the GOP would drum up his old ties to communist sympathizing parties non-stop, and the electorate will eat it up. His favorability would plummet, and we would get president Trump.

Hate to say it, but our only true options here are Clinton or Trump. President Sanders is a nice fairly tale, but that's it.

21Kid
March 9th, 2016, 06:54 AM
They probably couldn't do it any worse or more expensively. We have by the highest healthcare costs in the first world by a good margin - partially due to profit incentive by the insurance companies, but also largely due to bureaucracy. Look around and you can find plenty of examples of 900 bed hospitals with 900 billers on the payroll to deal with the complexities of the various insurers and plans. A single-payer model would eliminate much of this.Not to mention that our current set-up is a for-profit system. Most people don't think about it, or what the difference is... But, what benefit is it for drug companies and hospitals that profit off of your business to keep you healthy? :? They want your return business. Where as, if it's the people's money being spent through taxes for healthcare. There is a lot higher benefit in preventative maintenance. Talking about diabetes, smoking, exercise, is a lot more effective and beneficial than handing someone a bunch of pills. But, which makes the drug co/insurance co/hospitals more money?

21Kid
March 9th, 2016, 06:56 AM
I'm proud that my state gave the best guy the win, but a mixture of saddened and relieved that he will probably not win the nomination.

You know it's a messed up election when the person you voted for is not the person you think would be best to win the nomination.

Regarding the "Bernie is more electable" schtick, again, at this stage it's completely foolish to talk about electability.

Clinton has been berated for years by the Republicans because they knew she would be the one to beat in 2016. She has been dragged though the mud, and all her skeletons are in full view, and she's still somewhat electable.

Bernie has been totally ignored as far as Republican attacks go. If he ever got the nomination, the GOP would drum up his old ties to communist sympathizing parties non-stop, and the electorate will eat it up. His favorability would plummet, and we would get president Trump.

Hate to say it, but our only true options here are Clinton or Trump. President Sanders is a nice fairly tale, but that's it.
I disagree.

Crazed_Insanity
March 9th, 2016, 07:51 AM
They probably couldn't do it any worse or more expensively. We have by the highest healthcare costs in the first world by a good margin - partially due to profit incentive by the insurance companies, but also largely due to bureaucracy. Look around and you can find plenty of examples of 900 bed hospitals with 900 billers on the payroll to deal with the complexities of the various insurers and plans. A single-payer model would eliminate much of this.
Anyway, unless it can be guaranteed we have somebody like Bernie running this or setup a system that'd force everyone to behave like an incorruptible and caring doctor, there's just no way I'd agree to a government run monopoly type healthcare.

I just hate going to the post office or the DMV, people shouldn't hate to see the doctors... Maybe that's the only way to save cost? ;)

thesameguy
March 9th, 2016, 08:12 AM
Not to mention that our current set-up is a for-profit system. Most people don't think about it, or what the difference is... But, what benefit is it for drug companies and hospitals that profit off of your business to keep you healthy? :? They want your return business. Where as, if it's the people's money being spent through taxes for healthcare. There is a lot higher benefit in preventative maintenance. Talking about diabetes, smoking, exercise, is a lot more effective and beneficial than handing someone a bunch of pills. But, which makes the drug co/insurance co/hospitals more money?

The other side of this argument - which you can't entirely refute - is that the big R&D gets done when profits are high... you don't get big R&D budgets with non-profits... which is a part of why our private colleges are in the state they're in. :|

One thing that measures like ACA might cure is this "treat for profits" mentality everyone has been afforded for a long time. If you can't reject an applicant because of an existing condition and you run the risk you might inherit an expensive customer there could be more incentive to stop treating and start curing as it would end up benefitting all private insurers.

Admittedly, I think it's impossible to prove that there even is a "treat for profits" mentality, but it's similar difficult to disprove. The cynic in me is confident that's exactly what's happening.

thesameguy
March 9th, 2016, 08:14 AM
I just hate going to the post office or the DMV, people shouldn't hate to see the doctors... Maybe that's the only way to save cost? ;)

Well, FWIW, I hate going to the doctor. I hate the waiting room, I hate the guesses, I hate the climate that a lifetime of pills is normal, I hate pain management, and I hate (in California) the entire malpractice situation. I have seen two doctors over two weeks in two decades. Fuck that shit - I'd rather go to the DMV.

Edit: FML - I lied. I saw a spine specialist six times over three months in 2009. Long story, but totally supports every reason I hate the doctor.

overpowered
March 9th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Apparently Hillary still got the black vote in Michigan. Bernie took the muslim vote. Muslims voted for the socialist jew. Apparently muslims blame Hillary for a lot of the problems in the middle east.

Crazed_Insanity
March 9th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Ha! (@ TSG)

Anyway, I think government will probably have to step in to absorb the cost for patients with pre-existing conditions for now... hopefully in the future, healthcare provider would take good care of people so that they don't develop these conditions in the 1st place.

As for genetic conditions or natural abnormalities..., yeah, government will just have to continue to provide for them... unless if churches or charitable groups step up to the plate to take care of these people.

These for profit healthcare companies should still generate enough profits to pay taxes to cover these costs. Heck, if we have money for wars, we should be able to find money to care for the sick.

Relying completely on the government is really too risky. Take a look at VAs... are they happy with the way US govt's taking care of their health care? And these are the folks who fought and risk their lives for the US government!

Crazed_Insanity
March 9th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Apparently Hillary still got the black vote in Michigan. Bernie took the muslim vote. Muslims voted for the socialist jew. Apparently muslims blame Hillary for a lot of the problems in the middle east.

Are there a lot of Muslims in Michigan?

Anyway, I think Bernie's losing the south mostly because he's an atheist... just culturally Jew.

I need to preach the gospel to him and convert him right away!!!

21Kid
March 9th, 2016, 09:52 AM
The other side of this argument - which you can't entirely refute - is that the big R&D gets done when profits are high... you don't get big R&D budgets with non-profits... which is a part of why our private colleges are in the state they're in. :|

One thing that measures like ACA might cure is this "treat for profits" mentality everyone has been afforded for a long time. If you can't reject an applicant because of an existing condition and you run the risk you might inherit an expensive customer there could be more incentive to stop treating and start curing as it would end up benefitting all private insurers.

Admittedly, I think it's impossible to prove that there even is a "treat for profits" mentality, but it's similar difficult to disprove. The cynic in me is confident that's exactly what's happening.True. But, the R&D is still coming out of exorbitant profits. And I would think R&D from big drug companies would go into inventing drugs that someone will have to take for an extended period to maximize profits.

21Kid
March 9th, 2016, 10:07 AM
:o wow... Awesome title btw.
The Great Let's-Totally-F*ck-Up-Kansas-Experiment Is Nearly Complete (http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a42817/kansas-judge-impeachment/)
The latest chapter in this sad saga came when the state's Supreme Court began to rule that, all Randian wet-dreams aside, Kansas had an obligation to fund its public schools at a decent level. If you think that the legislature response was to carefully consider what it's been doing over the past few years and pull itself back from a course of action that is so obviously harming so many of the people that put it into office, then you probably live in a state not presided over by the likes of Sam Brownback.

A committee in the GOP-controlled Senate plans to vote Tuesday on a bill that would make "attempting to usurp the power" of the Legislature or the executive branch grounds for impeachment. Impeachment has "been a little-used tool" to challenge judges who strike down new legislation, said Republican Sen. Dennis Pyle, a sponsor of the measure. "Maybe it needs to be oiled up a little bit or sharpened a little bit." The proposal has considerable support in a Legislature in which Republicans outnumber Democrats more than 3 to 1. Nearly half the Senate's members have signed on as sponsors. It's unclear whether its novelty could complicate passage.

Since Gov. Sam Brownback and GOP supermajorities won control of the statehouse in 2010, conservatives have passed a steady stream of bills cutting income taxes and spending, expanding gun rights and restricting abortion. The state Supreme Court has issued rulings to force increased spending on public schools, citing a constitutional requirement that schools be adequately funded, and threatened last month to shut the schools this fall if lawmakers don't comply. The court also has overturned death sentences in capital murder cases and is reviewing a case that could toss out abortion restrictions. "I believe the court has a tremendous problem with overreach," said Republican Sen. Mitch Holmes, one of the impeachment bill's sponsors. Callie Denton, executive director of the state trial lawyers' association, said Kansas is "really ground zero" for conservative antagonism toward the courts. Legal groups like hers fear Republicans will be motivated to initiate impeachment proceedings if the bill passes."We're taking it very seriously," Denton said. :eek: That's a bit scary... this is starting to go to far.

Sad, little man
March 9th, 2016, 10:19 AM
I disagree.

People also felt that way when confronted with evidence that the earth is round. But here we are, and globes are a thing.

Part of me just wants Trump to win it. Let's just drive the country right into the ground so we can prove to his supporters that his ideas are stupid, and just start the country over without their input.

thesameguy
March 9th, 2016, 10:31 AM
:o wow... Awesome title btw.
The Great Let's-Totally-F*ck-Up-Kansas-Experiment Is Nearly Complete (http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a42817/kansas-judge-impeachment/) :eek: That's a bit scary... this is starting to go to far.

Starting? Oh, that bitch is so far down that road it's not even on the horizon anymore.

Freude am Fahren
March 9th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Saying Clinton is so much more likely to win the General always seems to neglect turnout. I think democrat turnout will be much better than with Hillary.

I don't think many Hillary supporters will stay home or go over to Trump. Sure some, but on the other hand, many Bernie supporters (youngin's mostly) will probably just stay home. So the question is, which group is bigger, Hillary supporters willing to go over to Trump, or Bernie supporters that will stay home?

thesameguy
March 9th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Part of me just wants Trump to win it. Let's just drive the country right into the ground so we can prove to his supporters that his ideas are stupid, and just start the country over without their input.

Yeah, see, that's not a thing. If Trump is elected, and if he drives the country into the ground, two things will happen:

1. Detractors will be waiting with a big I Told You So
2. Supporters were blame the failure on the Detractors for messing everything up

Don't get me wrong, I'm conditionally still onboard with Trump and driving the country into the ground, but you're deluded if you think that will change anyone's mind about anything. See: The Kansas Experiment.

Sad, little man
March 9th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Hmm, perhaps you're right. Maybe I should just go back to my tacit hope that there's a large, undetected asteroid looming out there in deep space.

thesameguy
March 9th, 2016, 11:04 AM
Comet Trump? Maybe it's already landed.

Rikadyn
March 9th, 2016, 11:09 AM
SLM: Look up SMOD

Sad, little man
March 9th, 2016, 11:15 AM
SMOD? The hip-hop band from Mali? I don't see how they relate to the presidential primary. :assclown:

Crazed_Insanity
March 9th, 2016, 11:20 AM
Hillary supporters most likely won't switch to Trump, but never say never.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/donald-trump-2016-authoritarian-213533

Here's an interesting analysis of Trump supporters. Authoritarians seem to prefer Trump!

Here are a set of questions to check if you have authoritarian inclinations:
Is it more important for the voter to have a child who is respectful or independent; obedient or self-reliant; well-behaved or considerate; and well-mannered or curious. Respondents who pick the first option in each of these questions are strongly authoritarian.

Hitler promised to make Germany great again and delivered on such promise.

Maybe Trump could do the same... just as long as we don't set up any camps anywhere... and if we ever decide to invade the world, I guess it'll be up to the 2nd amendment to stop the evil USA...

thesameguy
March 9th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Let's start a campaign:

Nihilists for Trump

Seems like the KKK backing didn't hurt his campaign, but maybe backing from people who don't care about anything and might be interested in the destruction of everything would have value.

21Kid
March 9th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Yeah, see, that's not a thing. If Trump is elected, and if he drives the country into the ground, two things will happen:

2. Supporters were blame the failure on the Detractors for messing everything up

Don't get me wrong, I'm conditionally still onboard with Trump and driving the country into the ground, but you're deluded if you think that will change anyone's mind about anything. See: The Kansas Experiment.3. See Kansas...

Freude am Fahren
March 9th, 2016, 12:46 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/3ornkeBIVEQGl92n16/giphy.gif

thesameguy
March 9th, 2016, 01:09 PM
:lol:

Godson
March 9th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Making the claim that drug companies are merely here to get people to have a life on pills instead of cures like aids and cancer shows a complete lack of knowledge of science and medicine.

I would gladly go more in depth, but this isn't the time or the place.

I'm dead serious though, if trump is elected, I'm moving to France

JoshInKC
March 9th, 2016, 01:23 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm conditionally still onboard with Trump and driving the country into the ground, but you're deluded if you think that will change anyone's mind about anything. See: The Kansas Experiment. Eh, unfortunately there hasn't been an opportunity to demonstrate it in the voting booth, but Brownback's got the lowest approval rating of any governor in the country - Somewhere between 18-26% as of late last year (http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/prairie-politics/article45615459.html). Nearly the entirety of the legislature is being treated like gaping assholes as well. Very few people who aren't at the EXTREME right side of the spectrum seem to think they're doing a good or even sane job. The Topeka Capitol-Journal, one of the major newspapers in the state, even came out and said Brownback and the legislature had created a trainwreck, and the Cap-journal is widely regarded as being bought and paid for by the state republican party.
This is probably one of the main reasons that the Democratic party caucus this past weekend attracted record turnout.

thesameguy
March 9th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Making the claim that drug companies are merely here to get people to have a life on pills instead of cures like aids and cancer shows a complete lack of knowledge of science and medicine.

As a guy who works with a lot of doctors, they and I would both disagree with you - but like I said, nothing in either direction can be proven.

Edit: Here's a good example of something that creates doubt about intention:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/we-now-have-the-cure-for-hepatitis-c-but-can-we-afford-it/

I don't think it's necessary to show the math, but suffice to say this treatment is priced in the stratosphere and the global investment in hep-c research will be recouped in just a few years by just one company. Pricing the drug lower would lengthen the ROI but give more people access to it. Why not do that? A) Big pharma loves cash and b) No reason to spread it around more cheaply when they can still make money on old drugs treating it.

This cycle has been demonstrated over and over again, and easy research will show it. I'm not suggesting that big pharma isn't hunting for cures, but they're not in a hurry to disperse them when they have aged treatments that are still perfectly viable for sale. Is it a rule? Probably not. But you can't possibly for a minute suggest that big pharma has any interest in circulating cures in the same way Microsoft patches Windows.

MR2 Fan
March 9th, 2016, 01:32 PM
I think Trump's fading a bit, but instead of a moderate, Cruz is gaining...ugh.

I kinda wish the Dem side was decided already, no matter if it's Clinton or Sanders to me.

thesameguy
March 9th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Eh, unfortunately there hasn't been an opportunity to demonstrate it in the voting booth, but Brownback's got the lowest approval rating of any governor in the country - Somewhere between 18-26% as of late last year (http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/prairie-politics/article45615459.html). Nearly the entirety of the legislature is being treated like gaping assholes as well. Very few people who aren't at the EXTREME right side of the spectrum seem to think they're doing a good or even sane job. The Topeka Capitol-Journal, one of the major newspapers in the state, even came out and said Brownback and the legislature had created a trainwreck, and the Cap-journal is widely regarded as being bought and paid for by the state republican party.
This is probably one of the main reasons that the Democratic party caucus this past weekend attracted record turnout.

Well, here's to hoping TKE shows what a shitty idea Assback had and serves a model for exactly what not to do. I hate to throw an entire state under the bus, but maybe it gets to serve as a warning to the other 49. That's a silver lining!

I apologize in advance, but I can't help myself.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/dd/07/d7/dd07d72b729faa3a380bfed2f49de7fb.jpg

MR2 Fan
March 9th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Well, here's to hoping TKE shows what a shitty idea Assback had and serves a model for exactly what not to do. I hate to throw an entire state under the bus, but maybe it gets to serve as a warning to the other 49. That's a silver lining!

I apologize in advance, but I can't help myself.

Michigan is pretty f-ed up too, it's basically a mini-dictatorship right now in many ways.

Crazed_Insanity
March 9th, 2016, 02:14 PM
So that's why Bernie won Michigan and Kansas?

Need more dictators then...

thesameguy
March 9th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Michigan is pretty f-ed up too, it's basically a mini-dictatorship right now in many ways.

DON'T TALK ABOUT MICHIGAN UNLESS YOU LIVE THERE.

FaultyMario
March 9th, 2016, 02:42 PM
no matter if it's Clinton or Sanders to me.

I kinda want to live in a country that has some sort of energy sovereignty (http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Wikileaks-Hilary-Clinton-Pushed-Mexicos-Oil-Privatization-20150810-0011.html), and not be a total colony.

Added quote "Clinton's former collaborators now work in the private sector and stand to gain financially from the energy reforms they helped create".

thesameguy
March 9th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Clinton is a scumbag. Sorry. :(

overpowered
March 9th, 2016, 05:57 PM
One of the questions to Hillary was her support of a crime bill that resulted in a lot more incarceration of black people. Hillary tried to dodge it by pointing out that Bernie had voted for it too. Bernie countered that there were good parts of the bill in his view including the violence against women act and an assault weapons ban. He also pointed out that he had spoken on the house floor against the incarceration parts in question. Someone dug that up and added it to this video:

https://www.facebook.com/mark.montana.94/videos/10209088078148566/

thesameguy
March 9th, 2016, 07:41 PM
I positively adore Bernie Sanders. I just don't have enough positive things to say about his views and even the way he shares them. It makes me sick that even in light of such a shitty, childish, deflection that bitchface committed that anyone would consider her presidential material. She would fit in far better with the other party, where they apparently encourage if not flat out cherish that sort of behavior.

overpowered
March 10th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Fact-checking the Democratic debate in Miami

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2016/mar/09/fact-checking-democratic-debate-miami/

overpowered
March 10th, 2016, 09:00 AM
https://www.facebook.com/photo/download/?fbid=1169833593029235

Freude am Fahren
March 10th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Trump refuses to disavow the Dark Lord’s support, stirring controversy (http://www.reelnewsnetwork.com/sauron-endorses-donald-trump-for-president/)
http://i1.wp.com/www.reelnewsnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/image.jpeg?w=782

overpowered
March 10th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Trump talks about all his products. He's so full of shit.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ml4hgx/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-donald-trump-s-victory-speech-infomercial

Rikadyn
March 10th, 2016, 10:38 AM
SMOD? The hip-hop band from Mali? I don't see how they relate to the presidential primary. :assclown:

sweet meteor of death, you sod :P

Rikadyn
March 10th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Are there a lot of Muslims in Michigan?

You're joking right?

Kchrpm
March 10th, 2016, 10:48 AM
No one outside of Michigan would know (and why would they?), but yes, Michigan has a very high Muslim and Middle Eastern heritage population.

overpowered
March 10th, 2016, 11:12 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/03/10/trump-protester-sucker-punched-at-north-carolina-rally-videos-show/

Seriously?

thesameguy
March 10th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Seriously what?

Rikadyn
March 10th, 2016, 02:44 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ao4T0Hz.png

thesameguy
March 10th, 2016, 02:47 PM
What do the red segments indicate?

overpowered
March 10th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Seriously what?White guy sucker punches black guy and black guy gets tackled by security.

MR2 Fan
March 10th, 2016, 02:56 PM
interruptions maybe?

thesameguy
March 10th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Black guy was already in custody, and the Sheriff *suggests* the men present didn't see the punch. I'm not saying that's true, but it's not patently untrue. The Sheriff appears to be doing the right thing with his investigation.

Old pony tail guy was a dick, but don't turn this into an episode of Cops Who Make Big Fucking Mistakes until that's what it actually is. That's just inflammatory.

Phil_SS
March 10th, 2016, 05:23 PM
No one outside of Michigan would know (and why would they?), but yes, Michigan has a very high Muslim and Middle Eastern heritage population.

If I'm not mistaken the largest Middle Eastern community in the US is in Pontiac, Michigan. If it's not Pontiac it is right near Detroit.

The reason I know this is because my Aunt, Uncle and cousins have lived in Detroit for 45 years. My cousins had many diverse friends; black, Korean, middle eastern etc. Michigan and the Detroit metro area is very diverse. Way more diverse than almost any other city in America.

Of course you know all this. Just sayin.

Rikadyn
March 10th, 2016, 06:23 PM
interruptions maybe?

yea

overpowered
March 10th, 2016, 06:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvPvZWnpMPA

overpowered
March 10th, 2016, 06:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI0FUjKJz2g

Dodge. Stick and move.

overpowered
March 10th, 2016, 07:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePsNcoMNNXc

Crazed_Insanity
March 10th, 2016, 10:39 PM

What is the percentage?

Come to think of it, I have a good Palestinian friend who was born in Michigan...., but his family is Christian though. Anyway, yeah, didn't know there are that many middle easterners there... High enough to help Bernie too!

FaultyMario
March 11th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Carson folds.

FaultyMario
March 11th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Dodge. Stick and move.

Obama's wrong, Trump's perfectly presidential. He dodges like a pro.

Kchrpm
March 11th, 2016, 11:18 AM
What is the percentage?

There isn't a good percentage, because families were (are?) not consistently labeled.

http://michiganradio.org/post/what-explains-michigans-large-arab-american-community#stream/0

Joanna Duncan says that when she started teaching 17 years ago, there were just a handful of students from immigrant families in her class.

“Now I would say that well over half of my class is students that speak another language at home--most of them being from an Arab background,” Joanna says.

---------------------------------------------

How big is that population, exactly? Stiffler says that’s a really tough question to answer accurately, for a number of reasons.

That’s largely because Arabs have never been counted as a single racial group for demographic purposes. In old immigration records, they’re noted variously as white, Asian, Syriac, and Turkic, among other terms. Now, the U.S. Census counts them as white.

Stiffler says the formal data has long undercounted the Arab-American population by as much as half.

“For instance, if you look at the census data from 2010, it’s going to say that in the state of Michigan there are a few hundred thousand Arab-Americans,” Stiffler says. “We know that that’s wrong. We know that there’s a few hundred thousand just living here in metropolitan Detroit.”

MR2 Fan
March 11th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Carson folds.

Ben Folds

thesameguy
March 11th, 2016, 02:17 PM
You know, for people who are running for president, these guys aren't the sharpest spoons in the pond.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/gop-mulls-unity-ticket-makes-sense#

Godson
March 11th, 2016, 02:56 PM
You know, for people who are running for president, these guys aren't the sharpest spoons in the pond.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/gop-mulls-unity-ticket-makes-sense#

Which, to me, makes it even more fucking scary.

Freude am Fahren
March 11th, 2016, 03:53 PM
Yeah, at this point, I'm hoping for a Trump win. Everything points to two things if that happens. One, he loses in the general. I'm not sure what happens in the general with Cruz.

Two, he's mostly lying. He's still an asshole who will probably do bad things for the country. However, most of the views he's putting out there are just pandering to the nutty base he needs.

overpowered
March 11th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Like many other states, 17 year olds will now be allowed to vote in the primaries in Ohio if they will be 18 in time to vote for the president in November.

http://usuncut.com/politics/17-year-olds-ohio-vote/

overpowered
March 11th, 2016, 06:17 PM
Massive protest at Trump rally results in it being cancelled.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/11/politics/donald-trump-chicago-protests/

speedpimp
March 11th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Ben Folds
Ben Folds
Ben Folds
Ben Folds
Ben Folds

speedpimp
March 11th, 2016, 07:42 PM
For Billi/y (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Middle_Eastern_people_in_Metro_Detr oit).

overpowered
March 11th, 2016, 09:09 PM
Rachel Maddow nails it.

http://on.msnbc.com/1pe7zUq

overpowered
March 11th, 2016, 10:09 PM
Satan endorses Hillary.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/us-politics/8741148/Dick-Cheney-heaps-praise-on-Hillary-Clinton.html

overpowered
March 12th, 2016, 06:50 AM
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/03/11/trump_you_can_not_have_a_rally_in_a_major_city_any more_without_violence.html

Trump: "You Can Not Have A Rally In A Major City Anymore Without Violence"

overpowered
March 12th, 2016, 09:27 AM
https://www.facebook.com/photo/download/?fbid=1303448529681791

Alan P
March 12th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Carson folds.

Interesting that he endorsed Drumpf rather than Cruz or Rubio. I suspect that says more about his opinion of Cruz and Rubio than his opinion of Drumpf.

MR2 Fan
March 12th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Interesting that he endorsed Drumpf rather than Cruz or Rubio. I suspect that says more about his opinion of Cruz and Rubio than his opinion of Drumpf.

or he's just trying to get the VP slot

overpowered
March 12th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Trump compared Carson to a pedophile, and now Carson is endorsing him?

overpowered
March 12th, 2016, 02:42 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo/download/?fbid=450417475148824

It's more embarrassing than the graphic shows.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/272790-sanders-spokesperson-fires-back-at-clinton-for-healthcare

overpowered
March 12th, 2016, 02:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF3Ja-Mxrb4

overpowered
March 12th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Bernie responds to Trump's accusation that Bernie is to blame for violence at Trump rallies.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/272791-sanders-my-supporters-are-not-to-blame-for-violence-at-trump-rally

overpowered
March 12th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Tuesday,

Illinois and Missouri have open primaries, which means you can vote in whichever primary you want.

Ohio has a semi-open primary, which means that you can request whichever ballot you want so if you want to vote for Bernie even though you're not registered as a Democrat, you can.

North Carolina has a semi-closed primary, which means that if you're undeclared/independent, then you can vote in whichever primary you want.

Bernie could get a big bump in all of those states from independents, who he seems to be polling high with. Michigan was an open primary, which was probably a big factor in his win there.

Freude am Fahren
March 12th, 2016, 04:10 PM
It really annoys me that I can't vote in Florida's primary on Tuesday, because I'm independent. Every state should be open, or really, like North Carolina.

overpowered
March 12th, 2016, 04:35 PM
I don't know if there's time to change your affiliation. You could change it and then change it back after the election.

speedpimp
March 12th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Trump compared Carson to a pedophile, and now Carson is endorsing him?

Stockholm Syndrome?

Crazed_Insanity
March 12th, 2016, 05:48 PM
For Billi/y (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Middle_Eastern_people_in_Metro_Detr oit).

Thanks.

I also saw from wiki that according to 2000 census, 60% Detroit folks spoke only English and 30% speak Arabic.... So it's a sizable group but I doubt they have a Muslim majority there...

Anyway, I think sander's win there could happen without Muslim help.

Crazed_Insanity
March 12th, 2016, 05:56 PM

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/272790-sanders-spokesperson-fires-back-at-clinton-for-healthcare

Maybe she just have dementia...

Why would a socialist like Bernie not support universal healthcare? Wonder what she was trying to accomplish.

overpowered
March 12th, 2016, 10:09 PM
Video for that picture:

https://www.facebook.com/Gawker/videos/10153979817262629/

overpowered
March 12th, 2016, 10:27 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo/download/?fbid=10206109643877008

:finger:

LHutton
March 13th, 2016, 01:37 AM
I have to say that this whole campaign in the US has been more like a circus than a political campaign. The closest we have in the UK is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Monster_Raving_Loony_Party
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death,_Dungeons_and_Taxes_Party

speedpimp
March 13th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Thanks.

I also saw from wiki that according to 2000 census, 60% Detroit folks spoke only English and 30% speak Arabic.... So it's a sizable group but I doubt they have a Muslim majority there...

Anyway, I think sander's win there could happen without Muslim help.

No one said it was a majority, but is a group with a very large population. And among the Arabic speakers is a sizable Christian population. Probably the most famous Arab Christian from the Detroit area is Casey Kasem.

Just like areas with large Asian populations in California, they may not be a majority but their numbers are sizable enough that they can impact an election.

overpowered
March 13th, 2016, 10:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3iBb1gvehI

overpowered
March 13th, 2016, 11:22 AM
https://www.facebook.com/photo/download/?fbid=10208044825890917

overpowered
March 13th, 2016, 11:34 AM
http://www.vox.com/2016/3/13/11214140/trump-is-terrifying

Trump blames the Jew for his problems:

Bernie Sanders is lying when he says his disruptors aren't told to go to my events. Be careful Bernie, or my supporters will go to yours!

overpowered
March 13th, 2016, 11:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9qXn1Y9jKY

overpowered
March 13th, 2016, 01:06 PM
As of this writing, this poll on Fox is active so if you want to affect their polls, go there and vote.

http://nation.foxnews.com/poll/2016/03/09/if-election-were-held-today-who-would-vote-for/

Alan P
March 13th, 2016, 04:44 PM
As of this writing, this poll on Fox is active so if you want to affect their polls, go there and vote.

http://nation.foxnews.com/poll/2016/03/09/if-election-were-held-today-who-would-vote-for/

Bernie beating Trump. Hilary way behind. Which puts the Democrats in a really tough position. Can Hilary really beat Drumpf? Will the Democrats nominate the person they want, just in case, when all indications so far are that Hilary would lose against Donald and Bernie would win? The poll certainly seems to suggest so.

Sad, little man
March 13th, 2016, 06:04 PM
:finger:
Clearly that cartoonist is completely out of touch with what it's really like in Michigan... We have no front plates. ;)

Otherwise, yeah, he totally nailed it.

overpowered
March 13th, 2016, 06:16 PM
Bernie beating Trump. Hilary way behind. Which puts the Democrats in a really tough position. Can Hilary really beat Drumpf? Will the Democrats nominate the person they want, just in case, when all indications so far are that Hilary would lose against Donald and Bernie would win? The poll certainly seems to suggest so.When I posted it, Trump was way ahead. I suspect social media. Bernie supporters are rather rabid online.

overpowered
March 13th, 2016, 06:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsHUPqhAGrk

overpowered
March 13th, 2016, 06:55 PM
Trump comic strips from other countries:

http://occupydemocrats.com/2016/03/13/cartoonists-12-countries-illustrated-trump-results-devastatingly-accurate/

overpowered
March 13th, 2016, 07:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJip9qX-Qy8

overpowered
March 13th, 2016, 09:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw4_xmUgo3w

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_American_Bund

LHutton
March 14th, 2016, 03:06 AM
http://www.vox.com/2016/3/13/11214140/trump-is-terrifying

Trump blames the Jew for his problems:
The problem is, for Trump, all publicity is good publicity. People disrupting his speeches is good publicity and when his supporters or potentials see it, they just think of Ferguson and it wins him support. People need to put aside the fact he's ridiculous and find some good arguments and middle ground policy and cut the bullshit.

21Kid
March 14th, 2016, 08:12 AM

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/272790-sanders-spokesperson-fires-back-at-clinton-for-healthcare :rolleyes: She doesn't have eyes in the back of her head... how would she have known.

overpowered
March 14th, 2016, 08:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGqD8-a-REQ

21Kid
March 14th, 2016, 12:54 PM
"What we don't have time for is all that petty, punk-a** little thuggery stuff that's been going on with these "protesters" who are doing nothing but wasting your time and trying to take away your First Amendment rights, your rights to assemble peacefully," Palin said. "And the media, being on the thugs' side. What the heck are you guys thinking, media? It doesn't make sense. Well, you all get it."... :| Getting really tired of her schtick. Unless she really is that dumb. Then... :smh:

overpowered
March 14th, 2016, 11:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwUZdNzjW8Y

Yw-slayer
March 15th, 2016, 12:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwUZdNzjW8Y

Harvard Law School graduate and two-term president with a six-pack vs fat, failed businessman with a reality TV show. It's like bringing a rubber band to a gunfight.

Jason
March 15th, 2016, 03:18 AM
I already miss Obama. :|

21Kid
March 15th, 2016, 06:08 AM
:( This doesn't even seem like civilized politics and more. It seems like a reality show.

MR2 Fan
March 15th, 2016, 08:58 AM
:( This doesn't even seem like civilized politics and more. It seems like a reality show.

No, reality shows get more voters

overpowered
March 15th, 2016, 09:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ciavyc6bE7A

21Kid
March 15th, 2016, 09:58 AM
No, reality shows get more voters
Ain't that the sad truth. :smh:

overpowered
March 15th, 2016, 10:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtBVuye4fZQ

drew
March 15th, 2016, 05:30 PM
That's it, I think it's time to consider a move abroad.

I'm pretty sure I can operate a broom in Paddington Station.

#DaFuqOuttaHere

Godson
March 15th, 2016, 06:44 PM
Im seriously looking for a place overseas. I am thinking about Spain or southern France.

Tom Servo
March 15th, 2016, 09:11 PM
I wonder how easy it would be to move to Norway, since my dad is from there and that entire side of the family still lives there...

Mr Wonder
March 15th, 2016, 10:55 PM
That's it, I think it's time to consider a move abroad.

I'm pretty sure I can operate a broom in Paddington Station.

#DaFuqOuttaHereI can hook you up with that. :)

Yw-slayer
March 16th, 2016, 12:58 AM
16% is the HIGHEST tax rate you'll ever pay on profits or salaries in Hong Kong, and domestic help is readily available. Come chill with me.

overpowered
March 16th, 2016, 02:47 AM
Insane real estate/cost of living. More males than females.

Worse than San Diego on both counts, and San Diego is bad on both.

drew
March 16th, 2016, 03:38 AM
Not worried about the male/female ration, she's going with me ;)

overpowered
March 16th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Lots of reports of voter suppression in Florida yesterday, especially for Democrats.

Example:

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/3/16/1502202/-Vital-Florida-county-voting-station-tells-Democrats-that-primary-is-open-for-Republicans-only?detail=facebook

overpowered
March 16th, 2016, 09:37 PM
Software vote rigging:

http://www.activistpost.com/2016/03/watch-computer-programmer-testifies-under-oath-he-coded-computers-to-rig-elections.html

overpowered
March 16th, 2016, 09:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBY7R054P_k

overpowered
March 16th, 2016, 10:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWnvBFwojNM

overpowered
March 16th, 2016, 10:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drWh6vBa45k

overpowered
March 16th, 2016, 10:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmGuIssaeEg