PDA

View Full Version : Pericarditis

Cam
July 12th, 2014, 12:15 PM
So, yeah, remember when I wound up in the hospital on Halloween? I felt better for a while, but my symptoms came back over the July 4 week-end, along with a few more freaky new symptoms. The main one was a strange, momentary adrenaline-rush-like feeling when trying to fall asleep. We thought I might have thyroid issues, based on Lori's internet research. Thyroid problems can cause pericarditis. Went to the doctor this week to get checked out. ECG was a little abnormal, indicating mild pericarditis, but labs came back normal. I felt lousy over the week-end and up to Tuesday. Wednesday on, I felt fine. My illness remains a mystery, I guess. :? :(

speedpimp
July 12th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Hope they find out something soon. Feel better, Cam.

Freude am Fahren
July 12th, 2014, 12:44 PM
What were the earlier symptoms? I have been having that same, sudden adrenaline type feeling when trying to sleep, usually accompanied by palpitations (but not a raised pulse). Saw the doctor, chest x-ray, EKG, blood tests, everything came back fine. It's super annoying/scary.

Cam
July 12th, 2014, 04:12 PM
My initial bout of pericarditis involved mostly an uncomfortable feeling in my chest, radiating to my neck and arms. Other minor, occasional symptoms including tingling in my hands and occasional heart palpitations. The night I went to the hospital, I experienced really high blood pressure, upwards of 150/100, and pulse over 100, despite not doing any activity. I was getting light-headed and had a extreme tingling and feeling of pressure in my lower arms and hands, plus tingling in my feet, on top of the uncomfortable feeling in my torso.

This time, I got the same uncomfortable feeling in my chest, albeit a little more intense and it felt better if I sat forward or stood up. It felt worse if I lied down. I also felt general malaise and even nauseous once. Come to think of it, I remember getting the same fleeting nauseous feeling several times last fall, but didn't realize that it was related until this week. Also, the aforementioned, fleeting, adrenaline-like surge when just drifting off to sleep. I couldn't sleep on Monday night because of it.

Feeling fine since Wednesday. Although, I'm feeling slight symptoms today. I think it may be related to coffee consumption. I had my first cup in a week this morning. Guess I'm quitting coffee.

Godson
July 12th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Your relief of the symptoms when standing or leaning forward creates a mild orthstatic hypotensive setting. You might be having a reaction with the caffeine in the coffee. Have you talked with your PCP about the causative agent possibly being coffee? There may be an underlying condition that is being agitated by the effects of caffeine in your system. It might be as simple as avoiding coffee, or something else. I'll see what I can dig up with my resources. What labs were drawn and done when they were performed?

Also, do you have a BP cuff at home that you could check your pressures and keep a log?

Cam
July 13th, 2014, 04:34 AM
They took a blood and urine sample. What they did with them, I don't know. I've already decided to quit coffee. No, I don't have a BP cuff.

Kchrpm
July 13th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Are your latent super powers finally revealing themselves? Solution: http://www.bustedtees.com/captaincanada

21Kid
July 13th, 2014, 02:28 PM
That's what I was thinking too Keith. ;) I hope you get better Cam. :(

Godson
July 13th, 2014, 05:08 PM
They took a blood and urine sample. What they did with them, I don't know. I've already decided to quit coffee. No, I don't have a BP cuff.

Check your PM.

sandydandy
July 13th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Hope you feel better soon, Cam!

Cam
July 13th, 2014, 06:55 PM
I seem to be OK now.

George
July 14th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Good on you for quitting coffee. I quit coffee and tobacco together on 5/5/2013.

I've had similar chest pain and various medical testing which I may have discussed here before. Without going into yet another overly verbose post about myself, I am pleased to report that quitting coffee and tobacco helped me feel better and, for whatever it's worth, my teeth are whiter a year later.

Cam, you might want to ask your doctor about anxiety and/or panic attacks the next time you see him. You might not have it, and I don't know for sure that those were my problem, but it's possible if you're living a high-stress lifestyle, work/study long hours, never get to take any time off, etc.

Best wishes.

Cam
July 14th, 2014, 08:42 AM
I don't live a high-stress lifestyle. The highest stress I endure is playing World of Tanks and sim racing on Sunday nights. Although, I'm beginning to believe those activities may be aggravating my problem.

21Kid
July 14th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Home sick?

Cam
September 23rd, 2014, 03:49 AM
Symptoms have come back again, oddly enough since getting Destiny. As odd as it sounds, I theorize playing stressful games for prolonged periods (like all week-end) may be contributing to my problem. I need to cut back to see how I feel. I need to find another doctor to get this thing solved.

thesameguy
September 23rd, 2014, 09:20 AM
I don't think there can be any doubt that staring at flashing lights can have oddball effects on people - and probably wrapping stress and anxiety into the experience won't do anything to alleviate them!

21Kid
September 23rd, 2014, 09:38 AM
I could definitely tell while fighting PHOGOTH THE UNTAMED on the moon strike mission last night, that my heart was racing and my stress level was high. Even when he was chained up! :eek:

speedpimp
September 23rd, 2014, 03:19 PM
I could definitely tell while fighting PHOGOTH THE UNTAMED on the moon strike mission last night, that my heart was racing and my stress level was high. Even when he was chained up! :eek:

So is that your nickname for Rob's dong?

21Kid
September 24th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Maybe if he still visited this forum. :(

thesameguy
September 24th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Maybe he can't type on account of his o face.

LHutton
September 28th, 2014, 12:50 AM
So, yeah, remember when I wound up in the hospital on Halloween? I felt better for a while, but my symptoms came back over the July 4 week-end, along with a few more freaky new symptoms. The main one was a strange, momentary adrenaline-rush-like feeling when trying to fall asleep. We thought I might have thyroid issues, based on Lori's internet research. Thyroid problems can cause pericarditis. Went to the doctor this week to get checked out. ECG was a little abnormal, indicating mild pericarditis, but labs came back normal. I felt lousy over the week-end and up to Tuesday. Wednesday on, I felt fine. My illness remains a mystery, I guess. :? :(
I don't suppose it's 'exploding head syndrome' related.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

FWIW I get this and similar symptoms to what you describe and I've never given it a second thought.

thesameguy
September 28th, 2014, 08:59 AM
I'm pretty sure I've contracted exploding head... It happened a few nights in a row last year, then went away, then it happened again earlier this year. I guess it's gonna be an ongoing thing. It sounds vaguely like rushing water for me - or maybe a lot of water being sprayed at something. The first time it happened in my sleepy daze I was angry the neighbors were pressure washing their house at night. I put the pillow over my head and there was no reduction of noise, which is when I realized it was in my head. Weird sensation for sure. It only lasts a couple minutes - maybe waking fully up causes it to go away. There is no anxiety or visual accompaniment, though. I would probably more upset about it if it wasn't called exploding head syndrome. That just sounds awesome, and I can't wait to disclose my condition to someone... "Do you have any known medical problems?" Exploding head syndrome.

LHutton
September 30th, 2014, 08:32 AM
I'm pretty sure I've contracted exploding head... It happened a few nights in a row last year, then went away, then it happened again earlier this year. I guess it's gonna be an ongoing thing. It sounds vaguely like rushing water for me - or maybe a lot of water being sprayed at something. The first time it happened in my sleepy daze I was angry the neighbors were pressure washing their house at night. I put the pillow over my head and there was no reduction of noise, which is when I realized it was in my head. Weird sensation for sure. It only lasts a couple minutes - maybe waking fully up causes it to go away. There is no anxiety or visual accompaniment, though. I would probably more upset about it if it wasn't called exploding head syndrome. That just sounds awesome, and I can't wait to disclose my condition to someone... "Do you have any known medical problems?" Exploding head syndrome.
Mine only happens just as I'm about to fall asleep and it's either a sudden random loud noise (e.g. beep) or a falling sensation accompanied by elevated heart rate.

Crazed_Insanity
September 30th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Hmm..., I guess I have exploding head syndrome too according to that wiki description? Usually happens prior to actually falling asleep. However, I only hear sudden loud ringing... there is usually a sense of anxiety accompanied to it... there's never any pain, but complete paralysis. The more I try to move or vocalize or open my eyes..., the more anxiety and the louder the ringing gets. Eventually I realized that I can just chill and relax and then I'd be able to 'wake up' from it or regain control of my body. My symptoms are no quite as 'explosive', but seems to fit some of the descriptions... extreme fatigue usually was the cause. I always thought my condition is something when my body fell asleep first before my conscious mind does! ;)

Cam
September 30th, 2014, 09:35 AM
I do not believe I ever felt anxiety associated with my symptoms. Never experienced any sudden, loud noises or sensations either.

LHutton
September 30th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Do you have any chest pain with it?

Cam
September 30th, 2014, 02:56 PM
I would not consider it pain. It's more like a strange uncomfortable feeling in the left side of my chest that radiates into my arm and neck sometimes.