PDA

View Full Version : Did we never make a motorcycle thread?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Godson
May 11th, 2016, 03:10 AM
Shit just got REAL.

I have a couple of leads on the 911 I am going to chase out this week.

M4FFU
May 12th, 2016, 12:29 AM
Also: today. I want my next bike to be a HyperMotard. They look a weapon for british b-roads.

Godson
May 16th, 2016, 03:47 PM
So I bought a thing last week...

Kchrpm
May 16th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Pics or it didn't happen.

Dicknose
May 16th, 2016, 08:21 PM
What he said!

retsmah
May 16th, 2016, 09:00 PM
I think I'm probably going to start a new job back in California (currently in Oregon) in another month or so... the weather has gotten nice, need to make it out for one more road trip before going back to the real world!

I didn't post it on here at the time, but did about a three week trip down through Utah and Arizona back at the end of September. My little Ninja 500 did well, although it's a bit of a handful in a strong crosswind!

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5764/21252935303_2e544e9a0b_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/yo3Re2)

novicius
May 17th, 2016, 03:20 AM
Very cool -- how many miles does your Ninja have?

(Also jealous! :D )

Godson
May 17th, 2016, 06:13 PM

First photo of the bike

These are the photos after the first level of bullshit decal removal. (the safety warning stuff)

retsmah
May 17th, 2016, 07:16 PM
Nice! I really like the sound of a V4, but I guess who doesn't?

My Ninja is a little over 31k miles, 13k of that is in the last year and a half, wasn't really putting a lot of miles on it until I moved to California and started using it for everything.

M4FFU
May 18th, 2016, 01:33 AM
That is a very, very lovely thing, Godson! Congrats :D

novicius
May 18th, 2016, 03:42 AM
You know me, I'm a miser -- but that is a fuckin' fine way to blow some dough, Tyler! :D :up:

Rare White Ape
May 25th, 2016, 12:54 AM
Check this shit out: Kiwi rider Bruce Anstey is racing a production Honda RC213V-S at the Isle of Man. Sounds like fun :)

http://www.amcn.com.au/news/1605/bruce-anstey-to-race-honda-rc213v-s-at-iom-tt/

Freude am Fahren
May 25th, 2016, 12:19 PM
Cool :up:

TheBenior
May 27th, 2016, 07:27 PM
Planning an overnight riding trip with some friends the weekend of July 8, and decided I'd like to try something besides the cheap throw over saddlebags I have (which end up resting directly on my Monster's high-mount mufflers).

Since I'm cheap and like to live dangerously, I ordered a 30L Kappa WA401S roll bag duffel (http://www.kappamoto.com/Soft-Luggage/Tail-bags/WA401S) from an Italian seller on eBay. The shipping arrival estimate was June 20-27, so hopefully the messenger tortoise gets the order to the warehouse in a timely fashion.

Dicknose
May 28th, 2016, 12:37 AM
Pack light.
Are you camping or hotel?
Is not camping then really you can get by with a change of undies and tshirt.
I use a venturer rack and 60l bag. That does me for a week including covering for variable weather.
I had a bit less space for 2 weeks around Europe!

Report in about the trip and how the bag goes.

TheBenior
May 28th, 2016, 08:13 AM
Most likely hotel, and it'd probably only be 2 nights at most. This should let me use my smaller tank bag for things I might want to access during fuel stops.

I'm figuring I can also use this bag to replace my current gym bag when I ride in to the gym before work. I've been strapping a 34L backpack to my seat with cargo netting and straps. It works, but making sure the straps are tucked under the bag and ensuring that the top of the bag doesn't fold down and block my tail light are kind of annoying.

retsmah
May 31st, 2016, 09:26 AM
You may already be aware of this, but REI sells dry bags in a variety of sizes that are very similar to the bag you linked to, if for some reason it doesn't make it in time. The ones I got were a little less expensive I think, but had fewer attachments for tying them down.

In that photo of my bike I've got 35L (for a 20 degree sleeping bag and foam sleeping pad), 20L (for a tent and towel and I don't remember what else), and 8L (for a very complete tool set) bags strapped on the back.

TheBenior
May 31st, 2016, 04:31 PM
Yes, I'd heard about them, but also heard that they tended to not be as durable/have as many tie downs as the bags designed for motorcycling.

If the bag doesn't make it in time (though the shipper did generate a tracking number today), I'll probably either use my throw over saddlebags (even though they partially rest on the mufflers) or just strap my backpack to the tail.

Godson
May 31st, 2016, 07:02 PM
So, I now have a full titanium Akrapovic and the race unocked ecu...

Freude am Fahren
May 31st, 2016, 07:53 PM
Sound clips or it didn't happen.

Rare White Ape
May 31st, 2016, 11:15 PM
Yep. Pics, audio, videos, leg spread shots, the works.

novicius
June 1st, 2016, 04:52 AM
Don't take any pics unless you've also taken off the rear license plate shovel and front fork reflectors. :D

Also I should probably tone down my "No New Bikes!" rhetoric: rumor has it that Triumph is developing a new Street Triple 800. If so and if the ergos check out, I will probably pull THAT trigger, Dockonomics be damned! :lol:

TheBenior
June 1st, 2016, 07:14 AM
800cc or not, I'd be surprised if there isn't a new Street Triple coming in the next two years.

novicius
June 1st, 2016, 08:05 AM
Yep -- and I do like the current Streety, even with the Insecticon bug-eyes. But waiting to check out the new hotness makes good sense.

Here's hoping for 130 HP. :D :up:

Godson
June 1st, 2016, 08:44 AM
I'll see what I can do guys.

Also, the rear plate doohickey is going to be there a while.

And the front fork reflectors are bolted on, so I will need to figure out how I want to handle that.

Rare White Ape
June 2nd, 2016, 12:27 AM
Hacksaw, oxy-torch, baseball bat, hammer...

You know, the usual ways.

Rare White Ape
June 2nd, 2016, 12:31 AM
Serious post: my GSX-R lost its front reflectors pretty quickly. There's four bolts holding the mudguard on the sides, the reflectors being half of those. They just happen to match the thread on the other two, so I ordered a par of bolts off Suzuki and chucked them in. Thumbs up.

Godson
June 4th, 2016, 05:02 PM
Jesus-titty-fucking-christ this engine is amazing. And quick shifting at 12rpm is unreal!

TheBenior
June 4th, 2016, 05:33 PM
There was a Memorial Day sale on Inertia LED CAN BUS compatible LED turn signal bulbs (http://www.inertialed.com/), which seemed to be well reviewed by Web Bike World (http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/inertia-led-can-bus-led-lights/), so I ordered a pair.

They showed up today, and I installed them. They're quite a bit brighter than the factory bulbs, and pretty noticeable even in the daylight. The whole lens doesn't get lit up evenly, but it didn't with the factory incandescent bulbs either. I may make a comparison video when I get my Nexus 6 back.

retsmah
June 4th, 2016, 08:25 PM
How would a light bulb not be CAN bus compatible? Do they just need to have the same resistance as the standard bulb?

edit: never mind, read that review, I guess it does just mean they have a resistor in them. Unfortunately defeats the purpose for me, I was mostly looking for the reduced power draw from swapping to all LEDs to let me run a heated vest in addition to my gloves in the winter!

TheBenior
June 7th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Holy hell, that roll top duffel bag showed up in an uncharacteristic-for-Italy 7 business days!

It looks like a good size, I'll have to stuff it with some things for a test fitting later on.

Freude am Fahren
June 7th, 2016, 06:15 PM
I've had real quick shipping whenever I order from Motostorm. One time the jacket I ordered was backordered, I guess, so there was like a 3 week wait, but once it came in, it was here within the week.

TheBenior
June 7th, 2016, 07:44 PM
When I ordered from Motostorm, it took around 2 weeks to ship my order. No idea why.

Freude am Fahren
June 7th, 2016, 08:05 PM
I think their inventory status on the website can be inaccurate. My jacket took three weeks, my gloves shipped the next morning.

Freude am Fahren
June 8th, 2016, 11:04 AM
Isle of Man is airing on Velocity this week, BTW. I love this shit so much. Those with CBS Sports Network, they air a bunch of the other road races through the year as well.

They are so damn fast. sub 17 minute lap in the first Superbike race average speed of 133+mph!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nlzxR6lN7Q

novicius
June 13th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Yep. Pics, audio, videos, leg spread shots, the works.
Can confirm, even just idling the new exhaust sounds excellent! :up:

Godson
June 13th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Can confirm, even just idling the new exhaust sounds excellent! :up:

Thanks ;)

21Kid
June 17th, 2016, 07:01 AM

First photo of the bike

These are the photos after the first level of bullshit decal removal. (the safety warning stuff)
Damn. :( Didn't even have it one month. :(

novicius
June 17th, 2016, 07:11 AM
"Left in front of me."

It's the mantra by which I ride. I say it every time I ride. Always watch the momentum of oncoming vehicles, always looking for the beginning of a left turn.

Now I have no clue how this happened. No details on the crash, if anyone else was involved, streets or highway, or what he was doing. But it was obviously a significant impact.

"Left in front of me..."

M4FFU
June 20th, 2016, 12:12 AM
Following a '93 Honda NSX through some fast sweeping a roads yesterday, both making quick progress, felt amazing. Motorcycling Nirvana: achieved.

Drachen596
June 20th, 2016, 12:47 AM
Yep -- and I do like the current Streety, even with the Insecticon bug-eyes. But waiting to check out the new hotness makes good sense.

Here's hoping for 130 HP. :D :up:

The Speed only has 140.. you think they'd put the 'baby' Triple that close power-wise?

novicius
June 20th, 2016, 06:36 AM
The current (last?) Daytona R is rated at 128 HP, I believe. Just dreaming off of that.

But I believe the power predictions are out and it's not going to be that powerful. #shrug

dodint
June 24th, 2016, 09:23 AM
I've had a weird year for motorcycling, in terms of activity and the overall trend. Sorry novi. ;)

I sold my Honda RC-51 to a guy in England, on eBay. I'm trying to declutter my life and make myself more agile so paring down to one bike made sense. Was really tough to let that bike slip away but sometimes you have to 'adult' and see the big picture. Its spirit will live on in me and manifest itself as a K1300S purchase someday.

I still have a '92 K75S. A bike I took in trade for the E24 M6 project I let go when I moved to Wisconsin. It's cosmetically, well, disheveled. But mechanically it's top notch. I rode it 1,481 miles over 4 days last weekend from WI to Keith's place and back. Really proud of the bike, went offroad and 90mph on the highway and everything in between and still managed to carry me home. Other than a snapped clutch cable it didn't complain at all. Even when I rode it 120 miles without a clutch to get it repaired so I could get home, it just keeps humming.

That said, now that Ash likes riding with me as a passenger I'm looking at something more size appropriate. 740cc just isn't good enough for two-up and a load of camping gear. So we're heading up to Green Bay tonight and I'm trading the K75S on an R1200CLC tomorrow morning. Really an oddball bike in and of itself but I'm drawn to that kind of stuff and am going to give it a shot for a few years. It's this one, fully loaded, low enough miles, lots of room: http://www.tytlerscycle.com/--xInventoryDetail?id=1892544

Two wheels good, folks.

novicius
June 24th, 2016, 09:39 AM
:up: :up:

No worries, Nate -- I hope all is well with you!

That bike looks great for what you need. Also very unique which is kinda tough to do these days.

dodint
June 24th, 2016, 11:26 AM
It's all good, man. I feel bad we haven't been down your way more than once. :( Figured with the baby you guys would want some time to settle in. We'll make a better effort.

Yeah, it's on the very edge of what I'd be willing to buy. Air conditioning and reverse gear is where I draw the line. I'm hoping when I take the top case off, and the sound system, and the giant antenna it'll look and ride more like a cruiser.

novicius
June 24th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Taking the top case off? I'd think your passengers would like the backrest?

TheBenior
June 25th, 2016, 02:29 AM
I have a picture somewhere of my bike in front of an R1200 CLC from the list time it was at the Ducati/Triumph/Vespa/Piaggio (and now Royal Enfield!) dealer. My Monster 696 looked tiny in comparison.

dodint
June 26th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Well, we ended up buying it:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ngq9hQYMd6yiT8HO9lO_fIc5hlL1llFSNLMMGEwcOAJegfHjOd h2NfceIDfWy3pr9vciEHEXUfxJ6SMugPIkBUzEgaitAa9DMQte 5v-GN9a3kbQWJIVsRpcCk25yeX7MvmFIXoZLsOSXTmGHO9bwAKClC pKVlO1Kbb21CyC4PSk5xoFUUY22wd1fRm78Q96K-m6FOx65hG-NOkpRmD5yyyPFlz040KsUjyNIIsmAdRSubxqSWBifTE4RuoMHN XfFWLFKru4mI79X3N_mqQG9CRmrjg6I2Ha8iHDEoTd7xeUUOCE jebk2_DrSWwSSo5UWFkKHG9MT7i2cqf0MilwnHq2sOYY8rvW0d MceZ218sLLog32-jA8HjSTRJSBjeYJeYmZ4Bbih4huAWzYD6Nh-Kl86dSqh8q7AI3jYeLONKmnlpDjv3NVZdoADt5Jgeb5VxW_dCQ LHo1Me1ChL9N_pmURIKvruVosdfx9NBuKff2yuq3n7rvjYCYCk qFp2pK-u18dpckHO_j54PX8vtHcgIeWWSqFgSWCgdyRu4oC4d8kQa2EVu PT5EE23liw3TOE3eJbKu_2JGWvNS-WbEUtJ63l-JgJTGY=w1684-h947-no

Kind of redundant I guess since most of you are friends on Facebook. ;)

I have mixed feelings about it. The bike is like riding a couch through a world of clouds. It's exceedingly comfortable for cruising for both of us. Wind is now nonexistent and potholes, manhole covers, bridge gaps, railroad crossings, everything is gone. The lack of air on the passengers was an issue, we both kept overheating on the highway. I removed some of the wind deflectors to help remedy this. The tires are so big and wide that you don't feel anything. I hate to sound like I'm looking for something to complain about, but it's made motorcycling too easy. It's hard to stay as focused because I'm not longer navigating the road surface but floating over it. And with the integrated ABS I no longer need to use the 'rear/foot' brake anymore so that isn't something I need to worry about. The challenge in motorcycling is gone because the bike does everything for me. I've ridden it for about 250 miles and I was 'bored' for 245 of them. It's soul-less riding.

There is absolutely a K1300S or something similar in my 3-5 year plan. The R1200CLC is exceptional for what I need right now though, gives me loads of utility. I have ~110 liters of storage, not counting the luggage rack and 27L tank bag I have. It's going to be great to camp off of it, which I'm doing next weekend up near Duluth/Superior. The bike is 7" wider, 7" longer, and 7" higher than the K75S. I was worried but it still fits with plenty of room in our 2.5 car garage. Overall very happy with the trade.

I spent the day today taking the body apart and removing the sound system. With my Sena 20S system I have zero use for the on board entertainment. I took the CD Changer out of the side case, the controllers off of the handlebars, and the antenna w/brackets off of the back, and the speakers out of the front fairing. It looks much nicer and cleaner and I reckon I shaved 30-40lbs off of it. Taking the speakers out of the front have made it a little easier to maneuver at walking speed, the fairing is mounted directly to the front forks so any weight I can save there is a bonus.

Taking the top case off? I'd think your passengers would like the backrest?

On my K75S the top box had a quick disconnect, it would come off in about 15 seconds. I had read the R1200CLC had a removable top case and two hard mounted side cases. I figured I could take the top case off for commuting and short trips, then put it back on when she's riding with me and when I need the extra storage. Turns out 1) the top case is bolted to the frame 2) top case would expose the frame structure in an unpleasing way. So I'll just leave it on full time, no harm no foul.

Off to Amazon to buy some Powerlet to USB converters.

neanderthal
June 29th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Got the Africa Twin and it's everything I wanted it to be.

It just hasn't come with bagfulls of cash so I can spend the whole day riding to places and seeing things... Thanks Obama.

21Kid
June 29th, 2016, 11:24 AM
pics?

neanderthal
July 1st, 2016, 05:15 PM
So, got my bike as y'all know, rode to Colton today, to the Honda Training Center where I did my Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. One of the instructors had said "when you get that nice beast, bring it on over..." so I did.

New-ish rider. I haven't ridden motorcycles since 1991, and those were ancient 1960s Japanese 125cc thingamajigs that we rode at 50 kmh (30mph) in the streets of Bulawayo. Anyway, I only had that job for 3 months.

After the nightmare of dealing with DMV, I rode it home, timidly. It's a lot more powerful than the 125s I rode in yesteryear, and the 250/ 350cc machines we used at the MSF course. A LOT MORE POWERFUL. And it's tall. And cumbersome/ bulky. Again, in comparison to everything I have ridden.

Anyway, just rode in my lane until I got to Pasadena, where there is a nice wide split between the carpool and #1 lanes. A sportbike went by, and I said "why not?" About two minutes later I was giggling in my helmet because, fuck, that has got to be like having a cheat code: here is everybody stuck, trundling along at 20 mph, starting and stopping, and i'm wizzing by them on my bike.

It's tall, so I have a nice clear view. And I can see through the SUVs and trucks that are normally rolling roadblocks. Because it's an adventure bike, the pegs are pretty much right under me, and I can stand. This is useful because the seat is a little hard after about 30 minutes, and standing allows bloodflow and cool air to go places.

And it's 270 degree crank means immediate torque, at almost any revs. I can give her an armful of throttle and she'll squirt out of any situation. And speaking of torque, that motor and DCT transmission combo like changing up as quickly as possible, often leaving me at 2000rpm in 6th, with the motor chugging along happily. Weird. But, I have "trigger shifters" like a mountain bike for manual up and down shifts, so I employ them judiciously, keep her above 2000rpm, in 5th while lane splitting at 35mph or so, trigger a downshift and give her an armful of throttle and off she goes.

I must have lane split 60 miles on the way there and back. It's 80 miles each way. Coming back, CHP had stopped traffic to clear an accident and there I was cutting through traffic like a shark through tuna. The law says you can only lane split in the first two lanes (left most lanes) and only at speeds that are less than 30 mph. Of course most bikers ignore that, but I was determined to stay in my lane and only split when traffic slowed below 40mph. It is revolting how much traffic you can pass while lane splitting. I don't understand why there aren't more people on motorcycles. Seriously. Especially those people who commute 50- 100 miles each way. No need to lane split when traffic is moving at 70, but when it slows or stops you're still making progress. God Bless California.

With the DCT it was as simple as twist and go. Commanding height, immediate torque, lane splitting, you've just won at life son.

Post script. I still can't get used to the wind. The screen gives your helmet a nice little bubble of calm, but all the wind hitting you from every direction, fiercely, tugging at your arms, pushing your shoulders, moving you about in the lane.

Freude am Fahren
July 1st, 2016, 05:30 PM
It's interesting they use the trigger shifters instead of a foot-operated shift lever. What do you think of them? Would you rather keep it on the foot?

neanderthal
July 1st, 2016, 10:47 PM
I prefer the trigger shifters, honestly. I could never find neutral. Or i'd find it when I didn't intend to.

Dicknose
July 2nd, 2016, 09:16 PM
Be very careful lane splitting, it's one of the most dangerous things you can do on a bike. Especially if traffic is moving.
Here we are only allowed 30km/h (under 20mph). You also need to be riding for 2 years before you can do it.

I've seen people do it at higher speeds, but damn it's risky when cars are changing lanes.
I'm mostly a "when traffic is stopped" guy.

neanderthal
July 3rd, 2016, 01:36 PM
Be very careful lane splitting, it's one of the most dangerous things you can do on a bike. Especially if traffic is moving.
Here we are only allowed 30km/h (under 20mph). You also need to be riding for 2 years before you can do it.

I've seen people do it at higher speeds, but damn it's risky when cars are changing lanes.
I'm mostly a "when traffic is stopped" guy.

Trust, I am super careful. Fortunately, California is a lane split state and drivers aren't assholes about it.

If traffic is moving I go with it. I'm usually just a dude, on a bike, in traffic. But once it slows to less than thirty I jump in the carpool lane and split where I can. A small percentage of drivers (>5%) actively move to give you room and a tiny fraction (<1%) are so focused on their whatever they don't realise they are crowding you.

I'm content to sit in traffic if the gap between the #1 and #2 lanes isn't nice and large.

Dicknose
July 3rd, 2016, 03:06 PM
Crowding isn't a problem. Might slow you but it's generally not a big risk.
Having a lane change happen when you are almost next to them is. That's an issue when traffic is moving and you are going faster.
Going to move from behind a car into the gap between lanes, finding a bike doing way way faster coming (surprising, bikes are hard to see)

Enjoy the bike, but be careful and learn.

SkylineObsession
July 3rd, 2016, 09:37 PM
Not a fan of lane splitting, have never done it and never will. It does seem like cheating, yes, but i'd rather not take the risk of damaging someone's car in a freak gust of wind (they happen all right) or whatever.

Think it bugs me being a car guy, as if a biker hits your car when riding past, he can keep going and you're there with a damaged car stuck in traffic, and you probably didn't have time to get their rego number.

The other thing that bugs me about bikers is how they seem to do whatever speed they like on the open road (again, i stick to the speed limit). A group my wife is in would lose me quite quickly with most of the riders they have i'd say. Maybe it's the freedom of not having a front number plate that does it.

Rare White Ape
July 3rd, 2016, 11:22 PM
Maybe it's the freedom of not having a front number plate that does it.

Nope. I do it because it's fun.

SkylineObsession
July 3rd, 2016, 11:24 PM
Well, yeah most others do too. My wife included id say.

I don't because my licence is 100% clean, and want to keep it that way which means not having much as much fun on the road as others. :(

Drachen596
July 4th, 2016, 12:26 AM
Track days?

neanderthal
July 4th, 2016, 10:40 PM
Yeah. You watch, you anticipate.

Fortunately, again, there are designated areas where one can join the carpool lane. Of course, once traffic starts to build there's a mad dash of cars to the carpool lane, so you have to be mega careful then.

dodint
July 5th, 2016, 06:23 AM
An office-mate just took the BRC and got her license. They took the course on Honda Groms. I'd be really annoyed to have to take the BRC on a bike that weighs less than me. We at least had 250 cruisers in ours.

Freude am Fahren
July 5th, 2016, 06:36 AM
Annoyed as in, this is too easy, anyone can pass? I kinda want a Grom/Z125.

dodint
July 5th, 2016, 09:10 AM
That's awkwardly small. She passed and everything but the motor just isn't powerful enough for the really slow moving stuff and the frame is tiny.

I'm 6'4" 290 right now, I would've looked like one of the twins on the back of the old Guinness Book of World Records.

21Kid
July 5th, 2016, 10:01 AM
I remember that pic. :D I think I still might have one of those books in storage somewhere.

Drachen596
July 5th, 2016, 10:57 AM
BRV/MSF was on GN125s here. Probably not a whole lot bigger than groms and there were a few guys bigger than my 6 foot 300lbs.

double u turns in the box sucked as i was constantly on the verge of stalling it.

neanderthal
July 6th, 2016, 09:31 PM
We did the MSF course on CB300s and a couple of us on CRF250Ls.

TheBenior
July 10th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Did a quick trip to Louisville, KY from Chicago.
-Northern to central IN is just as boring as ever.
-The Monster 696's seat is not ideal for 350 mile days. If I did this sort of thing more often, I'd probably spring for the Ducati comfort seat (which is bizarrely $100 less than the cheapest aftermarket seat).
-My GoPro's battery died right when we got to the interesting roads in Southern IN.
-Fuel economy ranged from a high of 48 mpg on the twisty roads to a low of 38 mpg riding back into a strong headwind on the interstate along the way back.
-My bike proved quite popular with random people during stops. Of course, we only saw one other Ducati during the whole trip, so it stood out in HD country.

neanderthal
July 10th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Nice.
Mine is due for the 600 mile service.

M4FFU
July 11th, 2016, 03:14 AM
Mine's booked in for new boots this weekend. Went for Bridgestone S21s. Current tyres are 6 years old. I didn't realise/look until last weekend.
Fitted a zero/d'bubble screen. Arrows exhaust is on it's way from Italy. Lovely.

M4FFU
July 11th, 2016, 03:15 AM
Also, neighbour has fitted the full ti Akra to his MT-09. Sounds mega.

dodint
July 11th, 2016, 05:08 AM
Did a quick trip to Louisville, KY from Chicago.
-Northern to central IN is just as boring as ever.

Were you doing interstates? I did back roads (until the clutch cable snapped) and found it to be fun. Lots of country and country folk out there.

TheBenior
July 11th, 2016, 05:47 AM
Interstate for the first 3/4ths to make time, then more interesting roads as we got closer to Kentucky. We saw quite a few other motorcycles on those roads.

dodint
July 11th, 2016, 06:54 AM
I bet. I was going to camp in the Hoosier National Forest but the logistics weren't good. Filed that away in the back of my mind for a later date.

novicius
July 12th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Big trips on sportbikes aren't always the most comfortable but they are fun. :up: :up:

neanderthal
July 16th, 2016, 11:58 PM
Ruminations of a newly licensed rider who once used to ride twenty five years ago. Yes, literally twenty years ago.

Took the Bushpig (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushpig) for her first service today. Twas supposed to be at 600 miles but the dealer I bought it from omitted to include the owners manual when they shipped it to me from Indiana, and I had an inkling that she was due for some attention from the dealer. However, the inkling came from reading threads online from other owners, and since the bike was released in Europe, UK and Australia first, most of them are calibrated in kilometers. Their 1000 kilometers being roughly equivalent to 600 miles. I had initially been waiting, and by waiting I mean riding anywhere and everywhere for no goddamn reason in order to reach the 1000 mile mark, when it hit me that for me it was 600 miles, and, ... oops, I was already over that.

It's Monday. Lotta motorcycle shops are closed. And I had plans for today, plans that included the first stage of my "pseudo round the world trip." I say pseudo because I aint trying to ride no round the world ride. My ass hurts already and I only did fo hunnerd miles today. My ass is not having no part in no round the world bike trip. That, it's made abundantly clear today. And that rebellion is quietly echoed by my still tingling hands. But what exactly is a "pseudo round the world trip anyway?" i hear you axing. I'm glad you asked.

When I was growing up in Africa, I remember seeing giant men, bearded, dirty men, oozing masculinity and funky smells, riding big dirt bikes across our country, and they were still going places beyond. Invariably, these bikes were Honda Africa Twins, BMW R100GS's, Yamaha Super Teneres, Cagiva and Ducati Elefants, and all manner of other bikes. These men always had great big smiles on their faces, and bright, bright teeth, and seemed carefree and happy, quite unlike the dour and joyless adults that surrounded me. And they spoke foreign tongues that promised otherworldliness and mystery, and they seemed generous and larger than life. They also appeared to laugh a lot, loud, belly rumbling laughs that required one throw back ones head.
Their contrast to my adult peers, the quiet, worried, harried, burdened men, who seemed to live a life where pleasure was measured, made me envy them, envy their laissez faire, carefree, nomadic travels, their foreign languages, their recent past in countries foreign, and the allure of travel bit me. This was no way helped by my father, a man who's travels as a result of managing a football team saw me get postcards from every corner of the continent, and across great seas too.
Now my dad, a very charismatic and outgoing man, resembled these men; he laughed loudly and with everything, travelled a lot, and didn't measure out his happiness in little bits here and there. He jumped in with both feet in everything he did, a big smile on his face, a twinkle in his eye and a positive attitude no matter what. I learned the best kind of mischief is enjoying yourself, even if what you're doing is nothing wrong or untoward. My dad also had a motorcycle, a big black BSA (I think) that sputtered and choked and belched before roaring to life. However, I only got to ride that with him once before he got rid of it. But, he had numerous pictures of his younger, pre- offspring days, when he got around on all manner of two wheel conveyances. So I saw a lot of him in those men.

What does this have to do with "pseudo round the world travels" I hear you badgering. Well, I always wanted to be like one of those men. I thought their lifestyle, whatever it was, was a proper, manly lifestyle. Certainly manlier than having the big portion of chicken at dinner every night. And having your presence mean the children couldn't make their normal racket they make when you're not around. I saw more vigor and life in my imagination of what a mans life should be, reflected in those gypsy travelling men, than in the everyday banality of tedium lived by my uncles and neighbors and role models. Of course, as an avid reader, this image dovetailed nicely with the exploits of cowboys and sailors and explorers i'd read about in books just a few years prior. These men were just modern day adventurers. And I desperately wanted to be like them.

But, riding a big dirtbike across a continent requires money to buy a big dirt bike, and round the world type dirt bikes generally aren't cheap. Nor is the gas, nor is everything about them. Suddenly the reality of real adult life struck, bills came out of nowhere, and one settled into the daily banality of a regular job, benefits, and the measured joy that a big piece of meat at dinner can give. Thankfully no children to shush and boss around. And after years of this, Honda decided to release a new Africa Twin unto the world, and the promise of my juvenile imaginings, and the excuse of a mid life crisis, begat the Bushpig.

My thoughts whirled with ideas of expeditions and travails, places far off and exotic, negotiating dinner at an outdoor market with sign language and good humor, sunsets and sunrises too beautiful to behold, maps consulted to see if they aligned with signposts in foreign languages. And reality said, you need a big wad of cash to make that happen. Reality said "you already travel, you just don't do it by bike like your twelve year old you would have liked your adult you to." And adult me was content with that. But wanted to see the dream of twelve year old me fulfilled, and to reach back and figuratively give twelve year old me a virtual high five for imagining boring old me as being remotely cool. But how, with the logistics, planning, and costs of world travel by bike nigh impossible, what with me being impulsive, disorganised and somewhat erratic, and responsibility and bills and what not all getting in the way. Adult me remembered that the best mischief is not necessarily breaking the rules, just having fun.

And came to me the revelation, the vision, that surely one could ride the big red pig into Paris. And London. And Johannesburg. Other famous destinations. And make juvenile me happy that indeed I turned out to be the cool adult he hoped to be. Except those capitals would NOT be in France, England or South Africa, but in Kentucky, Texas, and California respectively. And surely more could be found. In fact, one could ostensibly "visit" pretty much all the capitals of the world, states, provinces, countries, simply by staying in the continental United States and being imaginative. One could even go to Hell (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Michigan), literally.

And so began the quest today. Bushpig freshly serviced, day clear of appointments, full tank of gas. Johannesburg beckoned, especially with a Buluwayo Street somewhere in its midst. Bulawayo is my hometown back in Africa. Took off a bit late, after getting raped on the first service (I forsee a motorcycle stand and technical manual in my future. See, it wasn't just juvenile me!!!) and decided to make a good start by visiting California City, since it was sorta on the way, and why not start by going to California? Thoughts came and went, expressions, came and went, big smiles populated the inside of my helmet, occasional smells invaded and the odd stanza from a song would be heard. Up and down the N14. Beyond Edwards Air Force Base the wind really attacked with a ferocity and intensity that made me waver in my determination temporarily, but I was on a quest, a quest to fulfill the dream of a much younger me. And I like to see kids happy.

I turned somewhere to go towards California City and came across the "Graveyard of the Skies" a legendary parking lot filled with airplanes. Just sitting there, not quite abandoned, but certainly not nestled in a hangar, planes whose owners or lease holders couldn't keep flying profitably, but couldn't store economically in a hangar somewhere. I thought of going towards the fence, finding an access road, taking my camera out and documenting my travels but time wasn't on my side and I pressed on. But how to commemorate each place? In my mind I would pose Bushpig by the green sign almost all communities have that announce where you are. Except, I didn't see one, although there was a faded stone sign in the middle of the median that announced "Welcome To California City." Not quite the vibe I was going for, and certainly not going to try wrestling my big heavy, new expensive bike onto the median to take a picture. Stopped for refreshments at Rite Aid and with a looming sunset I took off for Jozi.

Somewhere, I missed a turn, and had to take Lake Isabella highway to get there. And it was spectacular. Entered a National Park who's vistas and rock formations were beautiful. "You're doing it son" i thought, and my inner child gave me a metaphorical high five. "This is why you got this bike. To see this, experience this, feel this." With little traffic on the road I was thankful for the full warranty and Honda engineering, just in case. There were times when, the lighting, the terrain, the rock formations, the flora, made me think I was somewhere in Matebeleland South, on my way to Beitbridge, or coming from Beitbridge, on my way to Bulawayo. At some point I consulted the phone to get a better idea of my bearings and knew that 7 miles hence, Ryan Road would lead to Johannesburg. Come the seven miles and no road. Just more Lake Isabella highway and ... hold on, was that a sign by that dirt road, did it say Ryan Road? I slow down and take off my glove on my left hand, the phone doesn't respond to gloves, and I slowly get ready to pull off the road and check if it was where I was supposed to turn. Trying to multitask, I grab my phone from my back pocket, where Google Maps has been quietly telling my gluteus where I should have been turning, and I pull off the road into the dirt on the side. Disaster strikes.

neanderthal
July 17th, 2016, 12:12 AM
Loss of traction. Gravity. Unintended revs. Back wheel driving, front wheel stopped. Low friction surface.

SHIT! I hit the "Engine Stop" switch & beseech the gods. I rue not telling anyone where I am going, as I have hardly seen any traffic on this road. And the last I stopped, I had no cell service. SHIT, SHIT, SHIT!!! No use kicking yourself when you're down, so I turn and lift her back up. Thankfully it was in the sand, no oil leaks, no cracks in the crankcase, hopes lifted, fingers mentally crossed. A car drives by, driver slowing to see if they can assist. My pride takes over and i wave her away with a cheery smile. I gracelessly, right her properly, push her onto the road after checking for traffic. I thumb the engine start switch, and she coughs, labouringly. No start. My pride slinks away and I look up to see the lady's Prius disappear around a bend in the distance. Kickstand down, I look again for damage, and seeing nothing, try again. She sputters to life, but sounds different. Oh no! Not even a thousand miles on her. Then, she sounds better, and, then like her normal self. "Ah, the oil had to drain back to the pan."
"It's a dry sump system, there is no oil pan."
"You know what I mean."
I can't be the only one who has conversations with themself.

"OK, you have no dirt experience, have street tires, and a big heavy bike. This Johannesburg thing isn't happening."
"Dude, you're already here. You came for Johannesburg, not 100 meters past the sign for Ryan Road, bike lying in the dirt, with your pride tucking it's tail between it's legs." That seems to settle it. I turn around and head for Ryan Road. As I cross the threshold to the dirt, I splay my feet out, ready to rescue her again, lest she tumble. She ploughs on, happily moving along. "This isn't so bad" runs through my head, and as I think that the front washes out ever so briefly, just as a reminder that things are not as sunny side up as they seem. "Just avoid the sandy parts, ride on the very edge of the road where the soil is more firm." Sure. Except there are rocks protruding out of that hard packed sand. And a flat tire is the last thing I need with no cell service, in the middle of nowhere, well, on Ryan Road, 40 meters from the closest thing to a main road, where nobody can see me.

Reason wins out. I turn her around and make my way back, then continue on Lake Isabella Road. Something isn't right. Besides the normal cacophony of wind and engine noise there is a new sound. And I think I can feel something extra in the seat and pegs. And she's not turning with the poise she did before. It takes a while for me to realise it's the sand on the tires. And corrugations in the road. And my cautious low speed amplifying them. I speed up a little and the suspension soaks up the road. The curves wash off the rest of the soil and soon we're golden. The sun is low in the sky, an open road beckons, a cool wind whistles past my ears. And i'm nearly out of gas. Or more correctly, I have enough gas to probably go 50 miles, but I don't know if i'm going towards a gas station. And there is no traffic anywhere in sight. I slow to maximise my fuel economy. Every house I pass, I look to see if there is someone outside, someone on the patio, anybody I could ask if I am headed towards a gas station. I spy a building with about a dozen cars parked outside, it's a church, maybe they're in choir practise, good Christian people will surely point a stranger towards a gas station. I stop, park, walk towards the building but I can see in it, there is no one inside and no sounds from within. I decide to press on.

At about this point, i'm tired, my butt hurts, i'm probably hangry but don't realise it, and i'm getting concerned about my gas situation. I'm on the last blip, "E" is flashing,
I don't really know how long i've been on it. I slow down and let the "fuel consumption" tick up a little, to make me feel better. I stand to relieve the heat and pressure on my butt. The wind hits me afresh as i glide down the road, the twin rumbling nicely at low rpms. I sit, pressure relieved and the niggling thought returns to the fore; you don't know where you are, you don't know where you're going, you don't know how far the nearest gas station is, you have no cell coverage here. I make an effort to ignore it, but keep stealing glances at the gas gauge. Hope manifests itself as a sign, promising a town, "that's hopeful," a village, "you wish," a settlement, "doesn't really matter, as long as it has a gas station and they take debit cards."

Around the bend a settlement comes into view, some houses, a collection of postboxes at the corner of a dirt road, a large sign promising eats and whatnot, and i'm scanning as far as possible for a gas station. There's a few large - ish buildings but not, ... wait, is that, yes, relief is at hand, it's not cheap but it's modern and I can get off my ass for a few minutes after while I eat. You know you're in the country when there are guns prominently displayed behind the counter and fishing information on a noticeboard adjacent. A whole aisle with knives and rods and other hunting/ camping/ fishing accessories. Sure, the guns are just airsoft and paintball guns but it's a subtle reminder that we're now in the NRA's "polite society." And the people are nice, all jovial, approachable, down to earth, eager to engage in conversation. Several are had, I mention my sore butt several times, i feed on chips, soda, and a bear claw, pre teen me approves, adult me acquiesces because frankly he's just pre teen me in an adults body with a job and some responsibilities.

Both fuelled we set off, Bushpig doing her throbbing, thrumming thing, me taking in the sights. Lake Isabella happens to be right next door, drought in evidence, but dark rippling water visible even in the setting sun. I press ahead as best I can, mindful of our earlier tumble, hoping no sand or leaves are in any of the curves. Past the lake, a river feeds it, and the road winds adjacent, dipping & curving into and out of the sun. I happen to love rivers, especially next to roads, especially when they meander and promise new scenery around every bend. The Kern River doesn't fail there. Its at once serene, then a cauldron of currents surging over rocks, shaded by trees, bare and serene, pools scattered about along the length. As the road winds through the valley, the sun dips behind some of the peaks on the other side, resulting in transitions from low light to bright light happening around every turn, with changing scenery at the river around every curve. This continues for miles and smiles, the road a lovely low speed ribbon winding along the base of a mountain, an ever changing river just beyond the guard rail, plenty of places to stop and take it all in. Confidence grows, curves are taken less timidly, trust has developed between rider and steed until the big Police SUVs headlights are suddenly in my mirrors. "Was I speeding? Did I remember to put on my plates? Will my phone retrieve my insurance information? Am I going to be another Sandra Bland right fucking here?" I spot a turnout and edge to the right and wave him by. He speeds past, followed by a Ford pickup.

I'm nervous now, gripping the bars too tightly, approaching corners incorrectly, braking too late and applying too much throttle to maintain momentum, just when i'm in the curve. this last, of course, upsetting the line, resulting in ceasing throttle, upsetting the line further. I coax myself into relaxing, just as the road opens up and the road diverges from the rivers side. A sign promising the haven of Bakersfield, yes, i know it ain't, looms and flashes by. At least I know, sort of, where I am. I debate stopping in Bakersfield, but it's 100 miles from there to home and I haven't even arrived there yet, and that means i'll be getting home at 2230 hours, for approximately 8 hours in the saddle. I need to get home, no more delays. my brother might be worrying about me. I power onto the south 99, headed home at last, and endure a swarm of insects just as i'm about to stand to relive the nether regions again. No use adding more bugs to your jacket, so I stay seated and accelerate. Home beckons.

Somewhere on the Kern County side of the Grapevine, the long mountain pass separating north Los Angeles County from the central valley, the incessant thrumming and inexorable progress of our journey has me imagining that this must what the Terminator felt like. No matter the road, no matter the grade, no matter the circumstance, our progress would not be hindered, we would achieve our destination, we would fulfil our mission. The machine felt indefatigable, relentless, unstoppable. My ass, ... not so much. Up on the pegs at 80 mph, going uphill in the dark, wind whistling past my helmet. Thankful for the principles of ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time) ingrained into me. My long sleeve compression shirt and rugby jersey were now layers insulating me slightly from the evening chill, the jacket taking most of the bite out of the elements.
Over the hill and it's almost all downhill from here. Home is only 30 minutes now. Civilisation is heralded by streetlights, residences, mini malls, people walking their dogs in the suburbs just off the freeway. the long slog home seems to take no time. Suddenly it's my exit, my road, my local supermarket. I don't need gas but I stop to fill her up; i'm tracking my fuel economy. 54.8 mpg. With significant portions of that doing 80 going uphill, and going down. I'd be lucky to get 20 in my car at those speeds. For that long.
Parked, i turn her off, dismount, joints aching in protest. I take a few stiff steps and stop to look back at and appreciate this amazing machine, that's given me joy, pain, smiles, independence, purpose, relief, fullness. She sits in the dull yellow glow of a halide lamp, emotionless, a big red beast ready to go again should I want. My inner child approves.

neanderthal
July 17th, 2016, 12:18 AM
Didn't get to Johannesburg. Didn't go on Buluwayo Road. Didn't even take a picture.

But, I think I will recreate that day just to take pictures. And to go to Johannesburg. And to see the sights again.

dodint
July 18th, 2016, 07:54 AM
Way to grab it by the brass ones. :up:

TheBenior
August 1st, 2016, 09:03 PM
An academy buddy of mine had his Victory Cross Country's clutch cable snap on him while on a charity ride. His bike has 12,000 miles on it, and he says that he lubed it every 2,000 miles. Fortunately, he was only around 15 miles from home, not 150+.

Now the Victory hydraulic clutch conversion is looking a lot more appealing to him ($350 for the parts and probably 2-3 hours of labor). It's the same parts that the Victory Vision gets from the factory, so it should work just fine.

neanderthal
August 5th, 2016, 05:53 PM
Had this beast for 5 weeks now. 34XX miles? It had 2 when I got it.

It does inspire trips to nowhere in particular, for no reason whatsoever.

Johannesburg you know about.

"You've never been to the Salton Sea." It wasn't all that, but hey, I went, I saw, I conquered. This one was during a heatwave, so it wasn't the smartest idea in the first place, but I learned things about long distance HOT weather riding, so it was useful.

"20 years living here and you've never gone to Sequoia National Park." It was glorious. I need to go up. One could hoof it up I5N and CA99 to get there quickly like I did, or, if i'm going to take my time, take the interesting backroads that connect the dots between the small towns like I will next time. And i'll definitely rent a cabin or chalet and stay a few days. The vehicle pass you buy is valid for a week, so why the f not?

Tuesday it was "Let's go to Hearst Castle. You've never been to a castle."
"um, dude, ENgland, Belgium, Germany, France, SPain, what do you mean you haven't been to a castle."
"I meant in the US."
The castle was great and all, but hey you see one, you've pretty much seen them all, right? Not in this case. The road up to the castle climbs, turns on itself multiple times, winds and wends its up way up and reveals/ hides the castle multiple times. The views are magnificent and the local roads in the area leading up to the castle are magnificent, Californias famous Highway 1.
Bonus, just 5 miles up the road is a cove that elephant seals favor and 3 miles north of that is a lighthouse.

And commuting, its hysterical. Lane splitting (just officially legalised in CA BTW, needs the governors signature) can only be described as cheating. Cars are locked in place, and you're just streaming by them. I wasn't going to get auxiliary lights but i've seen that their real advantage is for lane splitting. If you're lit up like the Vegas strip traffic just parts like the Red Sea.

So I have crash bars in the post for that purpose now. Just need to get a power distribution box, 12v socket, and aux lights.

I've literally made a conscious decision to NOT GO ANYWHERE this coming week. We will see how long that resolve lasts.

TheBenior
August 5th, 2016, 06:16 PM
And commuting, its hysterical. Lane splitting (just officially legalised in CA BTW, needs the governors signature) can only be described as cheating. Cars are locked in place, and you're just streaming by them.

Cheating? Nay, helping! Otherwise you'd just be another car added to the line ;)

Man I wish northern Illinois/SE Wisconsin/NW Indiana had better scenery and roads :|

Freude am Fahren
August 5th, 2016, 06:46 PM
BTW, this new CA law is interesting. Could be good. Set a US precedent for other states to follow. Could be bad, in that they could crack down on when and how lane splitting is allowed too much.

Dicknose
August 5th, 2016, 06:52 PM
Chicago is a dead zone for good roads.
Sydney is great, plenty of interesting roads within a mile of my place. About 30 mins to clear the suburbs and have some fantastic roads.

novicius
August 5th, 2016, 07:16 PM
Cheating? Nay, helping! Otherwise you'd just be another car added to the line ;)

Man I wish northern Illinois/SE Wisconsin/NW Indiana had better scenery and roads :|
West of Madison, bud. ;) :up:

neanderthal
August 10th, 2016, 10:24 PM
Installed crashbars today. First farkle.

Next; power distribution. Then a 12v cigarette lighter thingamabob. And helluva bright lights.

I was only going to get a 3 circuit power block but my ride back from Hearst Castle taught me that I should probably think about heated grips, gear and maybe even a seat for long night rides, especially in climes different than our lovely warm Southern California weather. And, I have a SPOT tracker on my bike that I can then hard wire with the power block in place.

TheBenior
August 10th, 2016, 10:49 PM
In my experience, heated grips allow me to use my uninsulated Dainese Carbon Cover ST gloves for commuting down into the high 40F range. My thumbs and the tops of my fingers still get a bit cold when I get to work at night. I'd still need insulated gloves for extended cold weather rides. However, my hands get cold easily, and my Monster has no wind protection. You're a bigger guy than me and the Africa Twin has brush guards, so they'll probably let you avoid insulated gloves altogether.

Freude am Fahren
August 11th, 2016, 06:52 AM
Kinda surprised the Africa Twin doesn't come with some kind of accessories power out of the box. Seems like the perfect type of bike for it.

dodint
August 11th, 2016, 07:36 AM
The Coulee region (Lacrosse/Sparta/Eau Claire) of Central Wisconsin is some of the best places to ride in the country I'd bet. Hwy-60 just west of Sauk City just before sunset is probably the highlight of my Wisconsin riding experience so far.

novicius
August 11th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Yep from Madison to the Mississippi is loaded with great rides. Even the Madison area has some very good riding roads and can easily chew up some daylight just around here, thankfully.

Now the road SURFACE quality may vary... :lol:

Kchrpm
August 11th, 2016, 07:58 AM
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/july/ducati-1299-panigale-s-anniversario/

Just me drooling over a special edition Ducati sportbike again.

http://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/PageFiles/578783/1000x750/Anniversario_9.jpg

http://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/PageFiles/578783/1752x1168/1299Anniversario_03.jpg

dodint
August 11th, 2016, 08:05 AM
Yep from Madison to the Mississippi is loaded with great rides. Even the Madison area has some very good riding roads and can easily chew up some daylight just around here, thankfully.

Now the road SURFACE quality may vary... :lol:

People come from all over to ride the 108/County-C cut. There is a great little bar in Mindoro that I enjoy, they show F1 on Sundays. You're welcome to join me any time. ;)

Godson
August 11th, 2016, 08:33 AM
That 1299 looks killer. I love the roads around erueka springs AR.

novicius
August 11th, 2016, 09:22 AM
No bars show F1 that are located between us? :lol: :up:

neanderthal
August 19th, 2016, 10:47 PM
On Tuesday, i went to work early, 7am, and given that I had the next three days off, I rode to Phoenix directly after work.

That was a sufferfest of note. It was hot. I was already tired. I hadn't slept well the night before. There was a lot of traffic. I really thought about whether I would ever undertake a long distance ride like that again.
Coming back, I was adequately rested, obviously off, i left with cloud cover partly obscuring the burning rays of the sun, and it was easy peasy. A bike CAN get just 30mpg if you're caning it on the freeway. And it's windy.

51XX miles on it since June 25 or thereabouts, when it had 2. Love the Africa Twin.

TheBenior
September 27th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Ducati has a promo where current owners can test ride a 2016 model and get a free Leatherman Rev multi-tool etched with a 90th Anniversary logo.

I decided to schedule a test ride of a 959 Panigale, to go with something quite different from my Monster, but still rideable in Chicago traffic with my stubby legs. Unfortunately, I couldn't schedule the ride at the suburban dealer; it had to be at the city dealer where I bought my Monster 696. Today's weather was sunny with a high of 70F with strong winds that blew my Monster around quite a bit at highway speeds.

After signing the requisite waivers and letting the 959 warm up, I was on my way to do a quick loop of city streets and a brief freeway run.

I've sat on sport bikes before, but never ridden any, so I didn't really know what to expect comfort wise. Honestly, the 959 felt pretty good in terms of dimensions. II didn’t feel like my torso and arms were uncomfortably stretched out, and while the seat was a little on the tall side for me, it was nothing that would have me leaned over 20 degrees standing on one leg at a stoplight like a Hypermotard 939 would.

I kept the bike in Sport mode, which FWIU gives full power but is less twitchy than Race mode and has the electronic rider aids at their max levels. Even with 158 hp on tap, power delivery was very smooth, smoother in fact than my 80 hp 696 was with the stock fueling. Shifting was light and easy; much less clunky than my 696. The mirrors didn’t vibrate into uselessness, but like many modern motorcycle mirrors, they were useless at showing anything directly behind you. Replacing them would be involved since the turn signals are integrated into them. Interestingly, the ride over rough roads felt better than on my 696. Turns out that the mid/high end Showa fork/Sachs shock combo… dampen more effectively than the cheapest Marzocchi fork/Showa shock combo that Ducati could spec. Not wanting to get a texting driver up my ass (Chicago traffic and all), I didn’t get a chance to give the brakes a hard stop. All I can say is that they stopped the bike effectively without drama while having a nice, linear feel.

What was less-than-stellar was the extra weight put on my wrists while riding, but I think I could get used to that. If not, bar risers would do. What would make me seriously question having the 959 as my only bike was the heat that it puts out on your legs. I rode it on a windy 70F day with moderate traffic; I don’t think I’d want to be stuck on it in heavy traffic on a swampy Chicago summer day.

The bike I rode pretty much looked like this one:

http://www.ducatiusa.com/cms-web/upl/MediaGalleries/323/1/MediaGallery_1323892/Color_959-Panigale_usa_arcticWhitesilk-01_1067x600.jpg

I’m expecting my Leatherman in 2-4 weeks.

dodint
September 28th, 2016, 04:29 AM
Getting longer mirrors shouldn't be a huge problem. I installed Ducati signal mirrors on my RC-51 and they were just two wires each.

TheBenior
September 28th, 2016, 04:59 AM
After further reading up on the 959, apparently the stock mirror plastic is brittle and easily broken by people bumping into the mirrors.

These folding mirrors are a popular replacement. (http://www.moto-science.com/product/ducati-9591299-panigale-matte-black-led-mirrors-751112-pair)

The turn signal mount plastic on my stock rear fender was the same way, which is a big part of why I got a tail chop instead of paying the same or more for another brittle fender. If course, with the integrated tail light and Diavel style mudguard, I've spent twice as much, but at least it's durable, good looking AND keeps water off of me. :lol:

M4FFU
September 29th, 2016, 06:13 AM
Bought a bike to turn into a track bike. Ordered springs, oil, shocks, pads, service kit and I don't even 'own' it yet :D

TheBenior
September 29th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Nice. The fact that the 959 actually rode better than my 696 has me wanting to upgrade the suspension even more. The cheap adjustable options would be getting the Ohlins DU737 that came on Monster 1100S for about $615 and Andreani fork cartridge inserts for $569, both sprung for my weight.

Freude am Fahren
September 29th, 2016, 10:29 AM
I don't have a problem with Hondas or Homosexuals, but I found this kinda funny when it popped up in my facebook feed.

https://scontent.fash1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/14440725_1394066493955448_8313810722780186036_n.jp g?oh=2ff2379b64ffe58beb3805216e8445cb&oe=58AA3559

TheBenior
September 29th, 2016, 10:49 AM
NAW, I AIN'T GAY, HE SUCKED MY DICK!

Dicknose
September 29th, 2016, 02:22 PM
I had that bike

Random
September 29th, 2016, 02:36 PM
I don't have a problem with Hondas or Homosexuals, but I found this kinda funny when it popped up in my facebook feed.

https://scontent.fash1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/14440725_1394066493955448_8313810722780186036_n.jp g?oh=2ff2379b64ffe58beb3805216e8445cb&oe=58AA3559

:smh: :|

thesameguy
September 29th, 2016, 02:36 PM
I have two questions about motorcycles:

1. What are fuel tanks typically made out of? Steel? Aluminum? Plastic?
2. Fuel tanks straddle frame rails - how do you get all the fuel out during normal operation? Or does some small amount stay "trapped" on one side?

dodint
September 29th, 2016, 02:52 PM
how do you get all the fuel out

Lean more, like novi does.

thesameguy
September 29th, 2016, 02:54 PM
Is that seriously the answer? I'd buy it.

I need a 2-3 gallon fuel tank for a fixed installation. I was looking at fuel cells, but they start at $200. Used motorcycle tanks are cheap and would suit my needs. Fuel getting trapped on one side isn't a problem in my application, I was just curious how it worked IRL. :)

Drachen596
September 29th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Anyone remember Kellen? He posted up on Reddit the other day about his motorcycle racing.

Doin well it seems. Won at least two races it seems.

dodint
September 29th, 2016, 03:02 PM

I need a 2-3 gallon fuel tank for a fixed installation. I was looking at fuel cells, but they start at $200. Used motorcycle tanks are cheap and would suit my needs. Fuel getting trapped on one side isn't a problem in my application, I was just curious how it worked IRL. :)

I honestly never thought about it. They're so easy to take off and drain manually I don't think getting every last drop out is a concern. Plus you can see inside so it's not like you have to wonder. If I leave .2g in the bottom of a 5 gallon tank each refill it's inconsequential to me.

I always liked Kellen, glad he's succeeding.

Random
September 29th, 2016, 03:03 PM

Looks like you can get steel fuel tanks for generators for pretty cheap?

thesameguy
September 29th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Yeah, still double $$$ though and kind of the wrong shape. Ebay has used MC tanks in the $50 range (especially some with damage) - I might be able to do better locally at the MC dismantler. I need something to basically sit on top of a 55g drum with about 3' in between. A MC tank is a good shape for that. Steel would be easy to work with, but aluminum could be polished into a blinding finish, which is attractive. ;)

TheBenior
September 29th, 2016, 03:15 PM
1. What are fuel tanks typically made out of? Steel? Aluminum? Plastic?

Generally steel, while some plastic tanks started appearing in the mid-2000s, tank swelling caused by leaving ethanol gas in for extended periods has led manufacturers back to steel.

Random
September 29th, 2016, 03:17 PM
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Engines/Engine-Accessories/Fuel-Tanks-Caps/4-5-GALLON-RED-FUEL-TANK-W-FUEL-SHUTOFF-VALVE-28-1836-R.axd

25 dollah. :p

(I get the shape issue, though.)

thesameguy
September 29th, 2016, 03:20 PM
That's a solid option. Like, real good. Guess I need to get real pricing on MC tanks!

Godson
September 29th, 2016, 09:06 PM
The Ducati Monster tanks can be drained entirely by the pump save for maybe a few ounces

TheBenior
October 1st, 2016, 04:01 AM
I got an insurance quote on the 959 Panigale, and it's a mere $1800 more per year than my 696. That's enough to upgrade my suspension and pay somebody else to do it. Every year :lol:

I'm thinking if I ever get a sport bike, it'll be old enough where I'm only going to run liability insurance.

Rare White Ape
October 1st, 2016, 04:19 AM
1. Old skool bike tanks have a manual gravity-fed drain-tap-filter thingy on one side, typically the same side as the bike leans when its on it's side stand. This is also where tanks are most likely to rust, given that water doesn't dissolve in fuel at all and it sinks to this lowest point. So that's something to watch for with an old tank. It also means that it would be a cinch to cut your own hole and put in a second tap thing on the opposite side if you really really need to get every last drop of fuel out. Newer bikes' tanks straddle two frame rails, so the fuel pump is in the middle at the bottom. No left side-right side issues there.

2. Kellen has been doing very well, he won his championship in the last season, so it's more than just a few wins :D He has also sired a female child to his smokin hot wife. Living the dream. Check him out on Facebook.

Freude am Fahren
October 1st, 2016, 06:52 AM
I checked for a new quote on my R6, seeing if it being two years old now and me 30 would have helped. $4600/year :lol: So if it doesn't get stolen within 18 months or so, I'm already underwater :angry:

TheBenior
October 1st, 2016, 08:38 AM
My 696 is all of $225 per year, so the 959 would've been just over $2k. So, the difference between what you pay for your R6 and what I'd pay for a 959 would pay for 3/4ths of the 959 in 4 years. However, Miami has a 43% higher motor vehicle theft rate than Chicago (and I live in the lowest crime zip code that's still Chicago), so I'd probably pay less for an R6 and you'd pay more for... anything.

Godson
October 1st, 2016, 10:01 AM
Lol. Before I bought the tuono, I got a quote for an rsv4rr. The 2016 model.

5280/yr. My monster is 270/yr, and my Tuono was 400/yr

Freude am Fahren
October 1st, 2016, 10:04 AM
I recently found out Miami has crazy insurance fraud, also causing higher rates. I'm curious to see how my rates change when I eventually move to the Ft. Lauderdale area. Probably not much.

Rare White Ape
October 1st, 2016, 03:07 PM
Wow I thought my GSX-R was expensive to insure when new: $1800/yr.

I was 26 with ~3 years riding experience and it was in 2009, when the US and AU dollar were near parity.

TheBenior
October 1st, 2016, 03:43 PM
Don't forget about our lack of the Commie evil that is socialized medicine. Also, most states here don't require helmets for adult riders.

neanderthal
October 1st, 2016, 08:33 PM
I'm paying just under $1k for full coverage on my AT.

I had two speeding tickets on my record and a recent motorcycle endorsement, although I used to ride 25 years ago. In Zimbabwe.
I don't know if i'm being ripped off or CA rates are just high.

Freude am Fahren
October 2nd, 2016, 06:31 AM
Sounds pretty fitting to me actually. CA and bikes in general aren't going to be cheap, I suspect.

My car down here, btw is around $2k/year for full coverage. Up from about $1500/year when I was living a few counties north of Miami, and $1k/year before that when GEICO raised their rates.

So I've had the BRZ for 3.5 years and went from paying just over $500 every six months when I got it, to now over $1000 :(

TheBenior
October 2nd, 2016, 06:57 AM
GEICO had the highest motorcycle rates of any big insurance company I got a quote from, though that was back when I had my 1978 Suzuki GS550. I don't know if they (and State Farm) saw "GS" and thought, "Sportbike!" or what.

SkylineObsession
October 3rd, 2016, 03:41 AM
Wifey's '05 Ninja ZX-6RR

Kchrpm
October 11th, 2016, 07:24 AM
http://www.cycleworld.com/2017-ducati-supersport-is-sportbike-for-you-everyday-riders

Oooooooohhhhh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/xl_1x_/public/images/2016/10/06_supersport_s.jpg

http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/xl_1x_/public/images/2016/10/01_supersport_s.jpg

http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/xl_1x_/public/images/2016/10/05_supersport_s.jpg

TheBenior
October 11th, 2016, 09:34 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the Supersport's headlamp/unibrow DRL arrangement, but on paper, the starting price of $12,999 seems competitive with it's closest competitors, the Honda Interceptor VFR800 DLX at $12,799 and the BMW F800GT at $12,595, or $13,395 with premium package.

The Ducati is likely a little quicker than the equally powerful (judging by what Hyperstrada 939 dyno at) but 70lb heavier Interceptor, and quite a bit quicker than the F800GT, which down 20 hp and 35lbs heavier.

Honestly, with my mostly highway commute, a sport tourer like one of the above probably makes more sense for me than my Monster 696.

Kchrpm
October 11th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Get a Supersport when I get my Corvette and we will have the most ballerest cruises :up:

dodint
October 11th, 2016, 10:29 AM
a sport tourer

Yes...yes. Come to the dark side brother...

Actually, I traded mine, but I want another one.

TheBenior
October 11th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Yes...yes. Come to the dark side brother...

Actually, I traded mine, but I want another one.
Leftover 2014 Interceptors are shockingly cheap (http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Cedar-Creek-Motorsports-2849254/listing/2014-Honda-Interceptor-VFR800-DLX-114917243).

Get a Supersport when I get my Corvette and we will have the most ballerest cruises :up:
I think the 959 Panigale I test rode would be more baller. While it roasted my legs.

Godson
October 11th, 2016, 11:50 AM
I was talking to Ross. This bike doesn't have the Ducati sex appeal. Looks like a fucking Kawasaki.

Kchrpm
October 11th, 2016, 12:37 PM
The following images are not for disagreement, they are for my own education. After looking at them in a post preview...I don't feel educated enough to have a justifiable opinion.

Panigale

http://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/pagefiles/532960/1299_1.jpg

Supersport

http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/xl_1x_/public/images/2016/10/06_supersport_s.jpg

Kawasaki ZX-10

https://content.kawasaki.com/content/uploads/products/7305/xi3j2d3o.dso.jpg

Rare White Ape
October 12th, 2016, 03:50 AM
That Ducati is more VFR800 than ZX-10R.

I just don't know how far it should be thrown into the sea.

M4FFU
October 12th, 2016, 04:36 AM
I like the SS - a faired 939 Monster, if you will.

dodint
October 12th, 2016, 04:56 AM
None of these bikes do anything for me. No heart.

I miss mine. Went all-in on a Plan and then the circumstances changed, now I've got just a cruiser. Buh.

TheBenior
October 12th, 2016, 08:23 AM
I like the SS - a faired 939 Monster, if you will.

Basically.

As I said before, I like the SS on paper. As much as I like the idea of a Panigale engined sport tourer, the Superquadro heat that sport bike guys begrudgingly deal with is probably a deal breaker on a sport tourer. It matches up well to the closest US competitors (Interceptor DLX and F800GT) in price and beats them in performance.

However, I'm not sold on the looks, and Ducati trades on the sexy/exotic image. If I'd been buying on specs alone when I bought my Monster 696, I'd have bought a Dame Edna Street Triple instead.

neanderthal
October 12th, 2016, 09:42 AM
It *is* a bit plebian innit? My highwater mark for pure sexiness in sports bike design is (probably forever will be) the 916 and its various incarnations.

Freude am Fahren
October 12th, 2016, 12:36 PM
I'm heading up to AIM in Orlando this weekend (weather/work permitting). Taking the bike up to boot.

Should be an interesting trip, now that I found out I have to work late Friday night. So I'll be riding up around midnight, getting to hotel around 2-3a.m. :(

I'll try to take lots of pics, but in an effort to pack light, they'll be with the phone or gopro, not Nikon.

dodint
October 13th, 2016, 10:52 AM
http://i.imgur.com/TBV7SHK.jpg

21Kid
October 13th, 2016, 11:36 AM
:erm:

Rare White Ape
October 13th, 2016, 03:23 PM
http://www.moto1pro.com/sites/default/files/yamaha-yzf-r6-2017-1_0.jpg

:)

Freude am Fahren
October 13th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Heh, about time. But based on the exhaust, and what else can be seen, I think all the changes are cosmetic and electronic. Looks like same motor, frame, subframe, swingarm, suspension. We'll see though. Supposed to have TC, Modes, quickshifter. Wheel speed sensor on the front makes me think ABS too.

I've seen a ton of different pics of the blue one, and they all look like different colors :lol:

Godson
October 13th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Meh.

Rare White Ape
October 13th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Wheel speed sensor on the front makes me think ABS too.

It's definitely got ABS. I think the regs pretty much demand it for all bikes everywhere these days.

I also like how they've managed to keep the size of the exhaust down to a reasonable dimension, given that it has to abide by Euro 4 emissions laws. This is in stark contrast to the oversized abortions attached to the new 2017 Ducatis and Aprilias.

Freude am Fahren
October 13th, 2016, 04:28 PM
I was thinking that the size of the can indicates it's not a new motor. Does Euro4 not allow grandfathering in engines of old design? Edit: It is the same old engine according to Sport Rider.

Also, the Italians have nothing on Suzuki.

http://images2.revzilla.com/blog_content_image/image/32311/gallery/2017-Suzuki-GSX-R1000-02.jpg

I don't see any reason why manufacturers would or should spend time on minimizing exhaust. Make it cheap and meet the regs since 80% of them will be replaced anyway.

Also, looks like new suspension on the R6 . Lifted from the R1 basically. Front and rear. Same goes for brakes.

http://www.sportrider.com/sites/sportrider.com/files/styles/xl_1x_/public/images/2016/10/17yzf-r6_team_yamaha_blue_feature_09_cmyk.jpg?itok=e54RZ IBZ&fc=50,50

ABS light confirmed, though I see nothing on the display as to settings. Maybe tied to TC or undefeatable.

Gear indicator added, but went to a single indicator light rather than one for each direction (does anyone beside me care about that? :lol:) Still no fuel gauge, but really, I've never needed one. Just reset your trip when you fill up. Though it does seem to show you your fuel mileage.

Wonder what GPS is for. Track logging like the R1M? Or some Yamaha acronym for something else?

Drachen596
October 13th, 2016, 05:21 PM
i think the US and maybe some 3rd world places are the only ones where ABS isn't required.

the MT series has ABS but the FZs don't get it in the US. seems stupid to me to have two models when one would do.

TheBenior
October 13th, 2016, 07:10 PM
The US FZ-09 finally gets ABS and traction control standard, and the FZ-07 gets ABS as a $300 option for 2017 (http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2017-yamaha-fz-09-and-fz-07-first-look).

Drachen596
October 13th, 2016, 07:13 PM
ah well thats new. though I wondered when it'd happen after the XSR900 got huge praise for its rider modes and better suspension.

It'd be nice to get the XSR700 though instead of the poorly thought out Bolt Scrambler thing.

Edit - I think Revzilla has some of the best coverage of bike stuff right now. The reviews they have seem more real world than some of the magazine reviews.

Also thoughts of a 300cc to 500cc two stroke twin of some sort have been floating about in my head. don't think anyone makes one and even if they did its likely a terrible idea.

Freude am Fahren
October 13th, 2016, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I love Revzilla.

I also like Baron Von Grumble/44 teeth. Motovlogger (BVG) basically started a Youtube channel/website with BSB rider Alistair Fagan. Done a few press trips, but instead of just a fancy produced video with some specs and taint licking, it's usually a few parts travel vlog with real-time riding impressions. But they aren't quite so fast getting stuff out. Plus they're pretty funny.

The FZ-09 of note also gets FZ-10 style face/lights. And weird swingarm mounted rear fender. Maybe good as you don't have to worry about the tail tidy, just remove the fender completely and find a way to mount the plate.

dodint
October 13th, 2016, 08:05 PM
Revzilla was sold this year. Glad they were able to cash out, hoping the new owners keep the high standard. One of the few non Amazon place I'm loyal to.

Drachen596
October 13th, 2016, 08:18 PM
The FZ-09 of note also gets FZ-10 style face/lights. And weird swingarm mounted rear fender. Maybe good as you don't have to worry about the tail tidy, just remove the fender completely and find a way to mount the plate.

I'd like to think this is them noticing that probably 97% of the people delete that rear extension thing and simplifying the process.

Freude am Fahren
October 14th, 2016, 07:23 AM
Revzilla was sold this year. Glad they were able to cash out, hoping the new owners keep the high standard. One of the few non Amazon place I'm loyal to.

Didn't realize that. Maybe that's why the pants I ordered last week are coming from Las Vegas instead of Philly. Or they're coming from the distributor. Kinda scary :( I actually find them better for motorcycle gear than Amazon. One of the few things that Amazon seems to kinda suck on.

novicius
October 14th, 2016, 07:29 AM
The new R6 "alienhead" looks better than the R1. :up:

I'm heading out to Team Triumph of Janesville's open house tomorrow morning. Always a good time. :cool:

Rare White Ape
October 14th, 2016, 04:55 PM
Also thoughts of a 300cc to 500cc two stroke twin of some sort have been floating about in my head. don't think anyone makes one and even if they did its likely a terrible idea.

Yamaha used to produce the TDR250, which had the TZR250 motor in it. Thusly:

http://www.advpulse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Yamaha-TDR250-88.jpg

They're getting a bit old now and decent ones may be hard to find. But they've got the excellent power valve engine, which has all sorts of funky possibilities available thanks to its ubiquitous popularity among young hooligans and racing fiends in the 1980s. It wouldn't be too hard to make one into a 400, or just send the engine to a workshop and have the whole shebang done for you.

TheBenior
October 14th, 2016, 05:31 PM
Bill notified me of a paid group survey for owners of 2013+ model year luxury brand motorcycles. I thought, "Get paid to talk about motorcycles for an hour and a half? Sure!"

I was apparently the last person to sign up, so I was only around in case somebody didn't show. However, everybody did, so I got $125 for showing up.

They didn't say, but I'm pretty sure that it was BMW that commissioned the survey since the waiver I signed said that the video would be held for 6 months in accordance with the laws of the Federal Republic of Germany.

Freude am Fahren
October 22nd, 2016, 11:24 AM
So I'm thinking hard about trading in my R6 for a supernaked. I love the R6, but part of the reason I bought it was thinking I'd do a hand full of track days a year. Unfortunately my schedule doesn't allow that. Track days never happen during the week, and I work weekends. If I get a M-F schedule eventually, I could always buy a cheap track bike later.

So my list is BMW S1000R, KTM Superduke 1290, Yamaha FZ-10 (and maybe FZ-09), and Triumph Speed Triple. I went out and looked at a '15 S1000R with only 900 miles on it for less than $10k, and it looked like it was in like new condition, but the price actually kinda worries me, it's about two grand less than comparable bikes on cycletrader. Luckily BMW dealers allow test rides, so I'd be able to ride a new one to try it out.

I went onto the local KTM dealer's website and found out the had a demo day today, but it just ended! Shit! No test rides. I sat on one at AIM, and absolutely loved it. Perfect ergos for a somewhat tall guy. Such a hooligan machine. Lacks the gadgets the BMW has (Active suspension, Cruise control, heated grips, etc. Like I need heated grips in FL). It also unfortunately is really expensive. Cheapest used I've seen is about $12.5k. But a dealer in Orlando is advertising them ('16s) at $13,500. Still the most expensive option though.

FZ-10 has nice features, great sound, and has been getting good reviews. But it would have to be new, so no great deal to be had. I'm not sold on the looks either.

Triumph lacks in pretty much every category against the others, but it's just cool. If I could find one cheap, who knows.

(or maybe I'll keep the R6 and get a Grom/Z125 :lol:)

Godson
October 22nd, 2016, 03:48 PM
Look at the tuono.

Prices for them just dropped.

Freude am Fahren
October 22nd, 2016, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I've thought about that too, I just worry about service, etc with a rare Italian bike. Also I've heard it's a much more aggressive riding position, and more like a naked superbike than the others.

But I will take a closer look.

Godson
October 22nd, 2016, 04:15 PM
The chest is actually very upright, legs are a bit more racy, as it is the same as the RSV4 riding position. I had more comfort on the tuono than I did on any monster I have ridden.

And the 1100 v4 is a badass engine. Service isn't cheap, but you are also looking at a KTM and a BMW. So I feel that is a moot point.

Freude am Fahren
October 22nd, 2016, 07:41 PM
Yeah, price of services isn't cheap on any of those bikes. More about availability and reliability. That's a downside of KTM and to some degree Triumph as well.

Godson
October 22nd, 2016, 09:37 PM
Reliability from what I have seen is really really good.

And if you want a power boost, the race ecu and full kit makes the bike scream.

You need to go and ride one.

Ducati has the best parts availability out of anyone. Hands down.

Freude am Fahren
October 23rd, 2016, 07:43 AM
That's the big thing. That bike is the one that on paper, the only thing it has over other bikes for me is sound, but I bet if I rode it, I'd love it. And I'll never be able to ride it without buying it.

neanderthal
October 23rd, 2016, 07:35 PM
8700 miles on my Africa Twin since late June. Basically haven't driven the car the entire time other than to move it for street cleaning. I had to go to Temecula this last Sunday and took the car. Forgot how quiet and smooth it rides.

But, not being able to lane split made me forget how much wind and noise you get on the bike. I hate traffic. Love the bike...

Rare White Ape
October 24th, 2016, 04:29 AM
The MT-10 (FZ-10 to you nutters) is a bloody good thing. They have just released an SP model, with Ohlins bits, and possibly Brembo bits, but I never thought to check that when I saw it. It also eschews the plain (if you could call it that) matte black or matte black with lime yellow wheels for a more classy silver/blue Yamaha paint job.

I highly recommend it, but you'll have to wait maybe six months until deals for such a new bike start to come through.

I currently have a fat for an 1100 Tuono V4. An early 2013-14 Tuono V4 would be on my shopping list if I was buying second hand. This bit is 100% true. It's not a "I'd buy that if I was you" post. I'd literally be buying one if I had the money.

Freude am Fahren
October 24th, 2016, 06:43 AM
I know it sounds silly, but the colors really bother me with the FZ. They have a blue version elsewhere, but just Gloss Black and baby puke gray/green here. The SP looks awesome though, hope we get it here in the U.S., though I wonder how much it will be $15k? I'm not in any hurry to upgrade, just thinking out loud.

I think my heart (or my balls?) wants a Superduke. My brain wants the S1000R. And the midway point between the two seems to be the FZ. I still need to look more into the Triumph and Aprilia. Aside from riding them to see which I truly like best, price is the dominating factor right now (which means BMW at this point), but the longer I wait, the more I save, the less that is true.

*That used S1000R with only 950 miles for $9,999 has a factory warranty for another year and a half (or so) or 35000 miles, which makes me less scared to buy it without knowing its history. I'm thinking repo.

Freude am Fahren
October 31st, 2016, 02:40 PM
So I went to the two KTM dealers in town* to see what they could do as far as a deal. The first one was a bust. Only a few hundred off. Second one was much better. Was able to give me a great OTD price. No nonsense fees too, just the price of the bike, tax, tag, and title. So I'm liking that, but decide to get a quote on the R6. Also, much better, about $1500 more than the other dealer. So I'm doing better by about 8 grand between the two dealers (both on '16 SDR)! :lol:

Then the kicker, they actually let me take the bike out. What a monster, and comfortable.

So now I'm just trying to secure good financing, since the dealer's banks suck, and I'm probably going to do it. Pretty sure I'm going to trade in the R6, but I might keep both. For a little while anyway. I dunno, that's probably a bad idea.

They're actually about an hour plus away from each other, but I live in the middle. One is brand new to KTM, the good one has been selling/servicing them for 20 years.

Godson
October 31st, 2016, 06:10 PM
Go ride the Tuono. You owe yourself that.

Freude am Fahren
October 31st, 2016, 06:22 PM
I am going to try. I thought it pointless to ask, but since this guy let me ride the KTM, I'll try. They've been closed on my days off though :(. Gonna try tomorrow morning before work.

Godson
October 31st, 2016, 09:30 PM
;)

Freude am Fahren
November 3rd, 2016, 11:57 AM
Checked out the Tuono yesterday. It is a really nice looking bike, and they were agreeable to a test ride, but traffic was bad at that time, so I went back to ride this morning and it rained :( I'm going to try again tomorrow. I'm also waiting on a reply to my counter-offer for the Superduke. I did sit on the Tuono, and felt too leaned over for what I'm looking for, but I'm still going to ride it.

Freude am Fahren
November 4th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Just got back on my Tuono ride. Awesome bike, for sure, but I'll be going with the KTM. It's mostly due to comfort. They are both a complete blast to ride, but the KTM will be better when I'm stuck in traffic on my way to work. If I lived in the mountains of Georgia or California, I'd probably go with the Tuono, but here is South Florida, the Aprilia's advantages are handcuffed. It was also very hot. Hotter than my R6. My ankles are still burning from the rear cylinder's exhaust. Also a bit more aggressive seating position. My knees were almost the same angle as the R6. Definitely a comfortable bike overall in comparison to the R6, but not really to the KTM. And with the deal I can get on the KTM, the price is moot.

But don't get me wrong, I did love it, I really did. Great engine. Awesome gearbox (first time using a QS). And that sound. Holy hell, that sound.

I need to win the lottery, so I can have all the bikes!

Godson
November 4th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Follow the heart. I'm glad you at least rode it. Most people ignore Aprilia when looking at nakeds.

And yeah, the QS and the v4 are bliss.

TheBenior
November 4th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Most people ignore Aprilia when looking at nakeds.

Well, in all fairness, Aprilia ignores most Americans who aren't scooter buyers ;)

Godson
November 4th, 2016, 07:57 PM
Hush you. You are just made that Chicago doesn't have one near you!!!

TheBenior
November 4th, 2016, 10:27 PM
They're perfectly willing to sell us Vespa and Piaggio scooters even if they can't be bothered to figure out which of their Aprilia dealers still exist.

neanderthal
November 7th, 2016, 08:58 PM
The Yamaha T7 looks the business (http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/the-yamaha-t7-looks-like-the-future-of-going-far-fast-1788682754).

Mid sized adv bikes are going to be a big thing i reckon; 600-800 ccs, 450lbs or so, multi cylinder twins or triples.

Not a thumper but not the behemoth R1200GS/ Super Tenere/ Triumph Tiger etc either.

Rare White Ape
November 7th, 2016, 10:08 PM
It would be great if Dakar rules didn't restrict bikes to 450cc a few years ago. KTM was dominating it with their 690 Enduro, and I think it would be nice to see the other manufacturers joining the fun today.

TheBenior
November 8th, 2016, 03:13 AM
Ducati unveils new 2017 models (http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/new-from-ducati-for-2017-scramblers-monsters-and-a-superleggera):

1299 Superleggera:

http://www.sportrider.com/sites/sportrider.com/files/styles/large_1x_/public/images/2016/11/2017-ducati-1299-superleggera-3.jpg?itok=Uu8aj1sS&fc=50,50

339.5 lb dry weight thanks to carbon fiber wheels, swingarm, frame, subframe, 215 horsepower, $80k, and all 500 are sold out.

Multistrada 950:

http://i1.wp.com/ridermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/2017-Ducati-Multistrada-950-beauty-R3qtr-red.jpg

113 hp 937 cc engine, 19" front wheel, 6.7" front suspension travel, $13,995 in red, $14,195 in white. I have to wonder if this is going to get new customers, or just steal them from Hypermotard/Hyperstrada buyers.

Monster 797:

http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/large_1x_/public/images/2016/11/cw1116-2017-ducati-monster-797-image-08_copy.jpg?itok=xehQBntV&fc=50,50

The air-cooled Monster returns, with the old 803 cc in Scrambler form with 75 hp, which is less than the 87 hp it made in the old 796 (and less than the 80 that the 696 made). I presume that's probably the price of passing Euro 4 emissions with an air-cooled engine. On the plus side, it only weighs 401 lbs and has the exact same starting MSRP that the last years of 696 had ($9,295 in red, $9,395 in white). It also appears to have the Scrambler swingarm.

Monster 1200:

Monster 1200 and 1200 S get a bunch of improvements like an IMU, Bosch cornering ABS, 150hp (up from 135/145), 1" shorter wheelbase, different passenger pegs, and narrower seat bodywork and tank. The S gets a quickshifter, Ohlins suspension, different wheels and different Brembo brakes. $14,695 for the base, $16,995 in red or $17,195 in gray for the S.

Scrambler Cafe Racer:

http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/large_1x_/public/images/2016/11/cw1116-2017-ducati-scrambler-cafe-racer-image-18.jpg?itok=YPi0-adE

17" front wheel with Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 tires, clip-ons, a radial brake master cylinder, and bar end mirrors. They might as well try to steal some Triumph Street Cup sales. If you don't mind the extra maintenance, it will likely stomp the Street Cup in performance. $11,395, which is $895 more than the Street Cup, and about the same as a Monster 821, so you have to really be into the retro aesthetic. Or sufficiently turned off by how horribly the water cooling hoses are integrated on the left side of the water cooled Monsters.

Scrambler Desert Sled:

https://2yrh403fk8vd1hz9ro2n46dd-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/2017-ducati-scrambler-desert-sled-10-fast-facts-1.jpg

A Scrambler you can actually take off road (and not just dirt roads like the ones I've inadvertently ridden on after getting lost on my Monster 696 with sport touring tires) thanks to 7.9" of suspension travel front and rear and Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tires on 19"/17" wheels.

Kchrpm
November 8th, 2016, 04:24 AM
Mmmmm, Superleggera...

novicius
November 8th, 2016, 05:14 AM
Looks sharp -- too nice for me of course but looks good on you champ. ;)

Which isn't to say that I'm anti-Ducati! They do look great and matching that with the kinda "meh" offerings from Triumph makes feel just fine in my decision to keep my Daytona.

That said, if I won the lotto Ducati would be getting some of it. :D

Kchrpm
November 8th, 2016, 06:01 AM
I made sexual noises when I looked at the Superleggera. FYI.

Godson
November 8th, 2016, 06:03 AM
New monster looks great. Should have been what the current gen looks like from the start

Freude am Fahren
November 12th, 2016, 07:06 PM
Oh, yeah, so I bought that Super Duke :D Had it for a week now. 200 miles on it. I love it. Already ordered some bits and bobs for it, but nothing major. Some bling, some protection, bar-end mirrors. Things sounds pretty damn good for stock. It likes to burble and pop on engine braking. Can't wait to hear it opened up. But that won't be for some time.

http://freudeamfoto.com/gtx/SDup.jpg

Interestingly the 2017 model was announced a couple days later. Some really nice bits on it (Cruise Control, Cornering ABS, LED headlights, Remote Key, TPMS, Self-canceling Indicators) and some nice Options with a track pack (traction/wheelie modes, Launch Control, Quickshifter up/down, Wifi-ride app thing like the R1M I guess).

But I don't think all changes are good. It's more agressive in Ergos with lower bars further forward (though oddly wider), doesn't look as good. Switch to a all-in-one TFT display, so no more Analog tach, stiffer springs. I'm sure it will be a better track bike, but I like how comfortable and laid back it is.

Oh and more power and wider torque curve, as if it needed that :lol:

Rare White Ape
November 12th, 2016, 09:36 PM
Congratulations my man. Seeing that bike in the photo made my gooch twitch.

novicius
November 13th, 2016, 06:50 AM
The Intimidator! :cool:

Tail-tidy ordered too, yes? Pillion seat cover and yanking the rear pegs? Taking the front reflectors off too, right? RIGHT?? ;) :lol: #jk

Freude am Fahren
November 13th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Haha, all but the Pillion cover. I may still get one at some point. But I need the seat and pegs to pick up the womens. :lol: When I do replace the exhaust eventually, I'll be looking for something that doesn't cover the rear wheel. Both for looks, and ease of maintenance. As is, you need to remove the can to take the wheel off. I haven't seen any super short Ducati type under exhaust, but I have seen some GP style ones that go up and over near the subframe.

The firs thing I thought when I looked at that picture was the fork mounted reflectors. They'll come off very soon. I'll do them when I do the frame and tank safety stickers. I'll relocate the info stickers on the frame to the inside of the subframe somewhere I think.

I noticed after washing it (when the pic was taken), how badly the painted black areas (tank and front fender mainly) are marred with swirl marks. I hope that just from it sitting in the showroom and being dry buffed over and over, and not just from my one wash. I want to buff them out before I add in the tank grips, but my buffer is a big 5" pad.

Godson
November 13th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Good looking bike man

speedpimp
November 13th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Very nice.

Dicknose
November 13th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Awesome!

TheBenior
November 13th, 2016, 07:54 PM
Very nice.

novicius
November 14th, 2016, 04:14 AM
Ok love-fest over: I've never been a fan of how low the headlight on the Duke sits with the naked gauge and the turn signals above it. Just looks like it's sliding down the forks! #lol

Yes-yes, it's perfection as-is. :D Yes-yes, it's obvious that the character line feeds into the headlight from the top of the tank (something I shouldn't even have to write but I will so people don't jump on me as if I don't see the most obvious design element of the bike :finger: ), I'd still prefer a better solution. Maybe a windscreen? The "best" option is a carbon fiber-esq Puig (http://www.motea.com/en/wind-protection/naked-screens-sport/windscreen-puig-ktm-1290-super-duke/-r-14-16-carbon-look-i4113-46677-0.htm) but it floats a little strangely above the headlight.

I absolutely recognize that I'm probably in the minority with this opinion. I've tried to convince my girl for years to buy a flyscreen for her Street Triple and she won't have it, either. :lol: #fairing-guy

TheBenior
November 14th, 2016, 05:08 AM
Styling wise, I think I prefer a naked arrangement on round headlamp Striples.

I feel that the Dame Edna Striples are vastly improved by a flyscreen, however.

Rare White Ape
November 14th, 2016, 11:02 PM
If you look at stunt bikes, or nakeds which have been turned into race bikes, they fully remove the headlight and mirrors and replace them with a number plate or similar, and it looks so cool. Take these Harleys as an example.

https://2yrh403fk8vd1hz9ro2n46dd-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/2010-ama-xr1200-racing-previews-mid-ohio-1.jpg

Obviously you can't have that and be street legal, so they have to dangle some bulky and cumbersome light unit off the front forks. Round headlights are classic but too boring for 2016, so to keep the kids these days happy bike companies have taken to styling the plastics up a bit so that they fit the aesthetic of the part of the bike that sits behind the forks. And the best way to do this is to make it as brief as possible, and angular like the rest of the panels. Hence why it looks like Transformers roadkill on the front there.

Ducati still has the best headlight in the class on its Streetfighter. That little thing is a work of art. Thanks to good proportions, the small headlight helps make the bike look muscular and brutal, something that other manufacturers have had a hard time capturing.

http://cloudlakes.com/data_images/models/ducati-streetfighter/ducati-streetfighter-07.jpg

On the other end of the spectrum is the current Kawasaki Z1000. Eye bleach. They really missed the ball with this one.

http://www.sportrider.com/sites/sportrider.com/files/styles/large_1x_/public/2014-big-bore-naked-bike-comparison-kawasaki-z1000-4.jpg?itok=HF6z7lPZ

M4FFU
November 15th, 2016, 02:49 AM
Ohhh, 1290! Lovely choice.

novicius
November 15th, 2016, 04:29 AM
The Ducati Streetfighter definitely looks the best of the naked streetfighters. Also, don't ignore the stylized bellypan, I dig that look on factory Triumphs too. :up:

Helps that they shaped the "back" of the gauges vs the clunky gauges on the Super Duke, Street/Speed Triple, et. al.

Kchrpm
November 15th, 2016, 06:06 AM
IDEA: LED headlight panel that looks like a flat number plate.

Godson
November 15th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Street fighter is by far the best of the nakeds.

novicius
November 15th, 2016, 08:38 AM
The 2017 Triumph Speed Triple won't change much -- still sporting the bug-eyed headlights & optional factory flyscreen. Just a stopgap refresh with 140ish HP / 85ish lb-ft.

Triumph also closed down their 250cc dev team and a rumored watersports branch. They're refocusing on the updating their entire lineup (which they badly need to do). Looking forward to it. :up: :up:

Also, I'm heading out on Thursday night to go check out the new hipster machine: the Triumph Bobber. :cool:

Freude am Fahren
November 15th, 2016, 08:52 AM
I dislike that Bobber very much. But it's okay, I still love Triumph.

Drachen596
November 15th, 2016, 03:07 PM
IDEA: LED headlight panel that looks like a flat number plate.

ive seen it done before. Couple of different ways. Projector headlight and one that was hole with leds behind

Husqvarna did it on a prototype a few years ago

Freude am Fahren
November 15th, 2016, 06:15 PM
So word is the designer of the Panigale has gone to Yamaha, and Ducati's chief designer has gone to BMW. Looking forward to what happens there. Maybe a new look for the RR in '18 with a bit more sex. New HP4 should be in the pipeline as well with the showing of that HP4 Carbon Race prototype at EICMA. Not sure what's going to happen at Yamaha. They now don't really have any bikes due for updates, and all of their recent looks are far from sexy like the Panigale, rather being techno and aggressive. Maybe a massive swing in a couple years?

Drachen596
November 17th, 2016, 07:15 AM
Hoping that Husqvarna brings over the Viltpilen and Svartpilen 401s plus the 701 big bro for each at reasonable prices.

Though i think the big brother should get a twin of some sort.

Also the Ducati Scrambler Sixty2 is a Vtwin. For some reason i thought it was a single cylinder.

TheBenior
November 17th, 2016, 02:36 PM
I'm shocked that the Scrambler 62 actually came to the US, since it makes no damn sense without the existence of displacement restricted licensing.

If you can't swing that extra $900 for a Scrambler Icon, biannual engine belt changes and 7,500 mile valve checks are going to be quite the shock for you.

Drachen596
November 17th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Small displacement sales have been pretty high lately. Of course there arw more optio s than ever right now too for the US.

Freude am Fahren
November 18th, 2016, 05:27 PM
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/uyrgvvzicv7zr8i2wq6r.jpg

TheBenior
November 30th, 2016, 02:31 PM
I was in the neighborhood, so I dropped by the Chicago Ducati/Triumph/Royal Enfield/Piaggio/Vespa dealer today. They had continued doing their stacking discounts of 20-40% on already marked down items that they started on Black Friday weekend. After riding several times with my Icon Citadel gloves, I decided that I don't like them. I suppose that's what I get for buying closeout gloves online. This led me to purchase a pair of Triumph Bright Gloves (http://www.pure-triumph.com/images/Product/medium/4013.jpg), which were marked down to $85 from $105, and after discounts were all of $35. They are definitely bright, at least for the time being. A visor wipe is notably lacking, however, but I've ridden in the rain without one plenty of times.

I also had to sit on some bikes while I was there. The Monster 1200 R and new Speed Triple really drove home how bikes carry their width affects how similar seat heights can feel pretty different. The 1200 R is listed at 32.7", and the Speed Triple at 32.8", but the side exhaust on the 1200 R makes it noticeably wider and more difficult for me to even tiptoe securely on the right side. The Speed Triple let me plant my toes more securely, but the pegs seemed to be in a good place to stab my calves when I'd be stopped in traffic. I also sat on an XDiavel, which seemed to replicate that high CoG gynecologist chair feel that cruiser riders love.

Godson
November 30th, 2016, 09:50 PM
The xdiavel is a great bike. I would never own it.

neanderthal
December 1st, 2016, 10:07 AM
Oh, yeah, so I bought that Super Duke :D Had it for a week now. 200 miles on it. I love it. Already ordered some bits and bobs for it, but nothing major. Some bling, some protection, bar-end mirrors. Things sounds pretty damn good for stock. It likes to burble and pop on engine braking. Can't wait to hear it opened up. But that won't be for some time.

http://freudeamfoto.com/gtx/SDup.jpg

Interestingly the 2017 model was announced a couple days later. Some really nice bits on it (Cruise Control, Cornering ABS, LED headlights, Remote Key, TPMS, Self-canceling Indicators) and some nice Options with a track pack (traction/wheelie modes, Launch Control, Quickshifter up/down, Wifi-ride app thing like the R1M I guess).

But I don't think all changes are good. It's more agressive in Ergos with lower bars further forward (though oddly wider), doesn't look as good. Switch to a all-in-one TFT display, so no more Analog tach, stiffer springs. I'm sure it will be a better track bike, but I like how comfortable and laid back it is.

Oh and more power and wider torque curve, as if it needed that :lol:

So, ... waiting for updates.

Godson
December 1st, 2016, 11:50 AM
Don't you fucking dare do an update like I did.

Freude am Fahren
December 1st, 2016, 12:21 PM
lol. I will have one this weekend for you all :)

All I'll say right now is I'm in love. And currently having withdrawls for not being able to ride in four days (work/weather). I sat in the garage and stared at it last night for like 5 minutes when I got home.

By the way, for anyone that uses Instagram, I post bike stuff on there from time to time. @RussD85 Only about 150 miles to first service I think.

TheBenior
December 1st, 2016, 03:30 PM
The xdiavel is a great bike. I would never own it.

A guy I used to work told me about test riding one this year. He has an HD 88 that's now 113 ci and laying down 128 hp and 122 lb-ft at the wheels. It turns out that doubling the factory horsepower results in things breaking on a regular basis, which is what got him interested in a factory cruiser making serious power. He also said that it made him realize how badly his bike handles, which I'm sure is also magnified by making double the power that HD intended. I'm sure being at least 100 lbs heavier than the XDiavel doesn't help either.

Freude am Fahren
December 1st, 2016, 04:01 PM
If I got a cruiser, it'd be a Triumph Rocket 3

neanderthal
December 2nd, 2016, 12:00 AM
If I got a cruiser it would be a bus pass.

There's nothing a cruiser does than any other bike can't do better IMO. My AT does the long distance thing, dual sport thing, sportbike thing and cruiser thing. Not as well as those individually, but damn close.

Swiss Army knife of bikes.

TheBenior
December 2nd, 2016, 05:59 AM
ADVs: The crossover SUVs of the motorcycle world.

novicius
December 2nd, 2016, 06:06 AM
:lol:

Freude am Fahren
December 2nd, 2016, 06:23 AM
True, I'm not sure I'd buy a Rocket over a GSA/Tiger or something similar. In South Florida, maybe the added utility of a ADV bike is lost. I need to move already.

novicius
December 2nd, 2016, 07:34 AM
The only ADV you need.

http://cdn.hiconsumption.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Ducati-1199-Panigale-TerraCorsa-Off-Road-Superbike-41.jpg

;)

Kchrpm
December 2nd, 2016, 08:04 AM
Ducati :up:

Godson
December 2nd, 2016, 05:02 PM
Werd

neanderthal
December 5th, 2016, 07:15 PM
ADVs: The crossover SUVs of the motorcycle world.

:lol:

A horrible, but true, moniker for ADV bikes. The field keeps widening though, more and more new and exciting ADV type bikes in the pipeline, most coming in on the bottom end of the size/ price scale. The Yamaha T7 almost gives me wood. She's a big burly girl.

neanderthal
December 10th, 2016, 03:43 PM
I try to do a day trip to somewhere once a month. No camping, glamping, any of that. Just there, enjoy the scene, and back, enjoy the comforts of home that same night.

Today was Ojai. Nestled in a lovely little valley just north of Ventura (itself just north- west of Los Angeles) the ride was unremarkable until i turned off the 126. it got real nice, but cresting the hill and seeing the town in the bottom of the valley with clouds obscuring the mountains on the other side. And a sinuous serpentine road to get there...

A+ would go back.

neanderthal
December 10th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Your nipples get sore if you're riding and it's cold. I didn't even realise that was a thing.

Edit; just realised the Bath Rugby jersey i'm wearing has a club patch/ emblem right there coz it's mostly my left nipple. Maybe it's the jumper.

Godson
December 10th, 2016, 07:45 PM
I did pay attention to what shirt I wore when I rode

TheBenior
December 11th, 2016, 02:14 AM
I usually wore a mesh muscle shirt while riding on hot days.

Which is what I wear on hot days whether or not I'm riding.

Kchrpm
December 11th, 2016, 05:55 AM
Stop trying to give everyone massive boners.

neanderthal
December 11th, 2016, 06:39 AM

Dude, ATGATT.

speedpimp
December 11th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Put Vaseline on your nipples, it will reduce the chafing.

Freude am Fahren
December 11th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Yeah.. that's why...

neanderthal
December 14th, 2016, 05:22 PM
Got left hooked today as I rode in to work. I swerved to the right and avoided the oblivious left turner who
a failed to stop at a stop sign
b failed to see that I was oncoming traffic
c turned left directly in front of me

If I hadn't swerved I would have braked right into the side of his vehicle. Fucking idiot driver.

Turned into our lot from Victory Blvd at the Burbank/ Victory Blvd split (going right to left in this image, and turning up to go onto the property) and this twunt was trying to go to the gas station and just turned in front of me.

(don't know how to embed google map image. I tried [img] but it wouldn't work.)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Costco+Wholesale/@34.1842049,-118.3233284,111m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c29569f13d7f9f:0x99652 acdab7a7fd1!8m2!3d34.1860159!4d-118.3243374

Freude am Fahren
December 14th, 2016, 08:37 PM
Something similar happened to me the other day. I was on a three lane road when someone pulled out from a condo driveway without looking or stopping, or even really slowing. I was in the middle lane, so I didn't slow immediately when I saw them pull out, but I did move my hand to the brake. But I then noticed they were also pulling all the way out to the second lane and I had to swerve around them. I should have slowed as soon as I saw them clearly not paying attention (when I moved my hand to the brake). They of course were staring at their phone.

I have a video of it I'll upload soon.

neanderthal
December 14th, 2016, 09:32 PM
I probably need to get myself a GoPro or some other recording camera. Everyday is a close shave with these cell phone ogling mouthbreathers.
That's the first one that's left me actually shaken.

Freude am Fahren
December 15th, 2016, 06:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaUbriDRAYg&ab_channel=RussD

I should have hit the brakes as soon as I saw her blow the stop sign. You can see I cover the brake at that point, but don't slow down until I can see clearly that she's going to cut across both lanes. In my head, I thought I could still avoid her if she went all the way to the third lane, and go right around her instead of left, but looking at the video I'm not sure.

novicius
December 15th, 2016, 06:26 AM
What a fucking idiot. :smh:

Godson
December 15th, 2016, 06:35 AM
Yeah. Wont miss that shit.

21Kid
December 15th, 2016, 09:54 AM

Put Vaseline on your nipples, it will reduce the chafing.Yeah.. that's why...

Stop trying to give everyone massive boners.

Too late...

Dicknose
December 15th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Yeah that Camaro did a pretty typical "didn't see you", you got a pretty good light!
There was a bit of a right hand curve, maybe sit a bit further left in the lane. Means a bit better viz.
And definitely slow a bit the second you see them move, even if they look like they aren't coming into your lane, people often change lanes half way thru pulling out.
Don't get angry, use it as a chance to improve your defensive skills - that's the way to survive long term.

neanderthal
December 15th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Yeah that Camaro did a pretty typical "didn't see you", you got a pretty good light!
There was a bit of a right hand curve, maybe sit a bit further left in the lane. Means a bit better viz.
And definitely slow a bit the second you see them move, even if they look like they aren't coming into your lane, people often change lanes half way thru pulling out.
Don't get angry, use it as a chance to improve your defensive skills - that's the way to survive long term.

Good advice.

I also flash my high beam.

Dicknose
December 15th, 2016, 10:49 PM
Good advice.

I also flash my high beam.
I think any effort on the high beam is better on the brakes. Take your own responsibility with your own life.

neanderthal
December 16th, 2016, 07:02 PM
I think any effort on the high beam is better on the brakes. Take your own responsibility with your own life.

I meant I flash my high beam if I see someone I think is going to do something stupid. Couple flashes, cover the brakes.

I always flash the high beams constantly if I am lane splitting.

Rare White Ape
December 19th, 2016, 10:45 PM
I get people pulling out on me fairly regularly.

Just gotta keep your wits and don't smack into them.

Adrenaline lets you know you're alive.

novicius
December 22nd, 2016, 06:44 PM
Just read a rumor that there will be a new Daytona and it'll be a 765. #grainsofsalt

neanderthal
December 25th, 2016, 04:26 PM
I realised the other day that having a DCT (twin clutch, auto shifts) transmission means I don't have to grab the clutch and worry about gear changes in those "oh shit!" situations. I can just lay on the horn, grab the brakes and steer.

Also, my gear is badly inadequate for long cold rides. I don't live in a cold climate and most of my rides are only 30 minutes or so, so there's that. But I went six hours yesterday and while temps weren't too cold (pretty much right at 50*F) I suffered.
I have a good three season jacket (MSR Altura I think) good winter gloves (for So Cal winter, not anything northern!) good winter boots (lined and waterproof, but not motorcycle boots and therefor not CE rated)

I always wear a compression shirt, shirt/ polo/ rugby jersey/ some kind of sweater/ hoodie/ jersey thing, and my jacket if it's cold. (The last few weeks.)
I've been wearing 32* psuedo thermals under my jeans but they don't do shit to keep my legs warm.
I've found wearing one pair of dress socks under thermal socks keeps the feet happy.

I've now realised that I need something windproof to keep me happy, as cold anything and my feet and toes are immediately cold. Light and windproof, something I can take off and stuff in my backpack. I ride to work and have a dress code I must adhere to, so the others are non negotiable. And I guess i'll have to invest in overpants.

But, that's if I want to indulge in long rides in this weather. Thankfully I live where it doesn't persist too long.

Freude am Fahren
January 25th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Update, finally.

Here's the bike yesterday:
http://www.freudeamfoto.com/gtx/SDRpreAkra.jpg

And tonight:
http://www.freudeamfoto.com/gtx/SDRinstallhalfway.jpg

:p

Akra system installed, SAS/Canister delete done, just need to finish the Rottweiler Airbox and Power Commander.

When I'm done, it'll be just time to tune. Went to get a baseline Dyno run. 97 ft-lb, 159hp

Rare White Ape
January 25th, 2017, 10:43 PM
Oh my...

TheBenior
January 25th, 2017, 11:35 PM
Naughty, naughty.

novicius
January 26th, 2017, 03:40 AM
Very cool! :cool: :up:

Now, about those front reflectors... :assclown: #safetyfirst

Freude am Fahren
January 26th, 2017, 06:25 AM
Shit, thanks for reminding me. I never really notice them, probably because of the color of the bike, but yeah, they can go. Especially with the reflective rim tape.

Freude am Fahren
January 27th, 2017, 11:15 PM
Just started the bike for the first time after all the work. Had a map from a KTM forum database that has the same airbox, exhaust, and factory map (there are two available from KTM), ony difference was 92(them) vs. 93 (me) and they have two 80mm intakes, I have one 80, one stock (100mm I think). So I figure that would be good enough to at least make sure the bike runs.

♫ Oo ooo, that smell ♫

No cat in the new exhaust and I think it was a bit rich made for quite a fragrance :D. I want to thrown some race fuel in it just for the smell.

Anyway. Had to shut it right off, since it was almost 3 a.m., and I don't want to piss off all my neighbors. Even with the baffle in, it's pretty loud.

KTM says to let it idle for 10 minutes with the new exhaust, so I'll do that in the morning, and start work with the autotune.

http://www.freudeamfoto.com/gtx/rottyinstalledfirststart.jpg