PDA

View Full Version : Run for cover! (The Ford Mustang Thread)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

thesameguy
August 2nd, 2017, 12:27 PM
I don't even think $20k would do it. Local Ram dealer had base model 1500s for $18k recently after incentives. That's CRAZY cheap. Granted, it's a shitty base model Ram, but....

TheBenior
August 2nd, 2017, 03:37 PM
Yep, right now, a base Ram Tradesman is $22,245 (minus whatever you can negotiate) after $4,250 cash back, and that still gets you 305 horsepower, an 1,880 lb payload rating, a 4,770 lb towing capacity, and EPA dork economy of 17/25 mpg, which is 2 mpg worse in the city than a V6 2WD Tacoma, but 1 mpg better on the highway.

Godson
August 2nd, 2017, 04:38 PM
I don't even think $20k would do it. Local Ram dealer had base model 1500s for $18k recently after incentives. That's CRAZY cheap. Granted, it's a shitty base model Ram, but....

And you have the R&D of a truck that was designed to run 7k + payloads and some seriously expensive layouts.

Something the small pickups can't do. That's why they died.

Jason
August 2nd, 2017, 05:01 PM
It just sucks for those that find a large truck to be a major pain in the ass to actually do work in the city. I'm seeing more and more of Transit and whatever the similar Dodge/Ram small work vans taking over those jobs... But even those don't fit the bill for everything.

thesameguy
August 2nd, 2017, 05:51 PM
It does, but the same could be said about light RWD sports cars and BEVs. Lacking a sufficient market, nobody is going to make the product.

It really sucks that the US in general doesn't have more options for low-volume cars like the UK does, where a small manufacturer could make a run of vehicles that doesn't meet all the regular criteria but gets a pass because there's only a few thousand. As it's happened, it's essentially impossible for someone who is not a major established brand to do anything, to even try. Tesla would be the obvious exception, but sort of the exception that proves the rule. Maybe someone should try and make a ~300 mile BEV compact pickup. :P

Kchrpm
August 3rd, 2017, 07:45 AM
Wild and crazy idea: small pickup trike. A Polaris Slingshot but in work truck form.

Drachen596
August 3rd, 2017, 03:05 PM
I thought the Ranger was coming back on a shared platform with the new Bronco?

Godson
August 3rd, 2017, 06:19 PM
I thought the Ranger was coming back on a shared platform with the new Bronco?

Yes, but it is the other way around. Look at the size of the colorado, payload etc. then compare prices.

neanderthal
August 4th, 2017, 08:22 AM
Wild and crazy idea: small pickup trike. A Polaris Slingshot but in work truck form.

Crazier idea; hack off the back end of the Nissan NV200, Mercedes Metris, Ram ProMaster city, Dodge Grand Caravan and install a pickup truck bed in place.

dodint
August 4th, 2017, 08:28 AM
If you get a bed in a Pacifica right now, Keith will throw all his money at you.

Drachen596
August 4th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Hell at the end of the Dakota run it was the same size as a 1990s Dodge Ram. not really much of a small pickup.

Kchrpm
August 4th, 2017, 08:51 AM
I'd rather have a minivan than a small pickup.

thesameguy
August 4th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Crazier idea; hack off the back end of the Nissan NV200, Mercedes Metris, Ram ProMaster city, Dodge Grand Caravan and install a pickup truck bed in place.

It still wouldn't be cheaper than a full size truck. An NV200 and a RAM 1500 go for about the same price after common discounts, etc. It's the same thing... smaller trucks aren't cheaper than larger trucks; there is no incentive to buy them.

novicius
August 4th, 2017, 12:17 PM
Bob Lutz On Why the New Ford Mustang Beats the Camaro (http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a11471024/bob-lutz-on-why-the-new-ford-mustang-beats-the-camaro/)

The minute I saw the new Mustang and the new Camaro, I knew Ford had won this round.

The Mustang is a design masterpiece: sleek, semi-European, yet still a Mustang. Independent rear suspension or not, it is a winner. The Camaro, an even better car, sinks into quasi-irrelevance. You can’t tell it from the previous one. “The same as before, only smaller” has never been a winning formula in a fashion-conscious segment.

The current Camaro, although fabulous, missed the mark.

neanderthal
August 4th, 2017, 12:27 PM
It still wouldn't be cheaper than a full size truck. An NV200 and a RAM 1500 go for about the same price after common discounts, etc. It's the same thing... smaller trucks aren't cheaper than larger trucks; there is no incentive to buy them.

Yeah, but there are people who won't buy a full size truck. Too big to park. Too cumbersome to drive. Won't fit in their garage, whatever their reasoning, a full size is too big.

It's not always an economic decision.

thesameguy
August 4th, 2017, 01:02 PM
True, but nobody is going to build a vehicle specifically for those ~32-47 people.

Besides, it's not like compact pickups don't exist - Nissan and Mahindra both make them for example - it's just that nobody sells them here. You can't sell a $20,000 vehicle to four dozen people and expect to turn a profit.

TheBenior
August 4th, 2017, 09:07 PM
I totally agree with Bob Lutz on the Mustang and Camaro.

Sad, little man
August 7th, 2017, 07:31 AM
I was involved in some reviews of the new 2018s over the past few weeks.

Here's something to think about with regard to the Mustang, and something I didn't realize until I was involved in the program...

Fit and finish and overall quality are being scrutinized very closely on the new Mustangs. Now that they are being sold globally, they have to play against the best Europe has to offer. And I don't mean that in some vague sense, like "They're both sold in the same country now." I mean that as in a Mustang in Europe actually sells for about the same as a BMW or Audi once you tack on all the fees and exchange rates associated with selling it there.

In the US, it's a bargain sports car. In Europe, its price point puts it in direct competition with premium cars. This is not to mention that in the middle east they have very stringent laws about the fact that a new car cannot be repaired at all before being sold as new. So, cars going there must not have any paint blemishes. And again, they're selling for at least double what they cost here.

And don't think there's some special quality standard for export markets. They all go down the same assembly line, so that quality is being baked right into the manufacturing process, even for vehicles you buy here. I can't promise you that we've gotten it perfect yet, but we're working hard on it.

(Oh and again you're going to lose your shit when you see what's coming in the future.)

novicius
August 7th, 2017, 08:05 AM
:cool: :up:

GB
August 7th, 2017, 12:20 PM
While I applaud any manufacturer for stepping up their fit, finish, and overall quality, it pisses me off that it takes forces from OUTSIDE the domestic market to make them realize that it's important. (I'm not picking on Ford directly, GM is the most recent offender, and before that, Chrysler.)

Sad, little man
August 7th, 2017, 03:36 PM
It also takes forces from outside to cost cut vehicle design and manufacturing to the point where overall quality and fit and finish become problematic. Don't blame Ford, Chevy, or anyone else for that. Blame the free market and crapitalism. We've always realized it's important. We could make a car that's as well built and assembled as you'd like it to be, if you're willing to pay more. But no one ever is, so you get the most cheaply designed and made products you get.

GB
August 7th, 2017, 05:26 PM
Well, capitalism, in theory, should push for better assembled products, not worse, as consumers choose better cars for similar cost. However, as you point out, the average Joe Floriduh doesn't care about fit, finish, steering feel, output per liter, yada yada yada. He just wants automatic braking so he can text and drive and maybe not crash because of it.

/end thread derail

novicius
August 8th, 2017, 05:15 AM
Keep in mind that the Premium interior package costs an additional $4K USD for the 2018 GT's and $5K for the 2018 EcoBoost cars.

So it's not like you're getting an M4-fighter for $36K, it's a $40K+ proposition any way you slice it. Half the price of an M4... but the depreciation is going to be double the M4's too, I'm guessing. #justsaying

EDIT: The killer new 10-speed automatic is another $1600 option. :twisted:

balki
August 8th, 2017, 05:54 AM
The Mustang, in the last dozen years, is perhaps the least depreciated car that's made in decent numbers.
Even Hondas can be had for under half price after a few years, and German cars are certainly below that

novicius
August 8th, 2017, 06:51 AM
Really? That's cool -- also I should check my statement: the high-end Bimmers do have farther to fall so that'll also affect the ratio. :up:

dodint
August 8th, 2017, 07:14 AM
I don't know what you're talking about.

*Hops in his $20k 6 series and drives away*

novicius
August 8th, 2017, 07:17 AM
Yeah that's what occurred to me. :lol:

thesameguy
August 8th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Sure seems like Mustangs are holding their value. I was counting on the '13 cars plummeting once they were replaced, but the difference in price between a showroom new GT and a four year old GT is painfully slim.

TheBenior
August 8th, 2017, 05:57 PM
I hadn't really thought about it, but a quick Cars.com search suggests that they're holding their value pretty well locally, at least if you don't go crazy on appearance options on top of a GT Premium.

Used doesn't seem to make much sense on the current model, particularly when 1.9% for 60 is available year round, and Ford tends to have 0% for 72 every Labor Day on anything that's not a Raptor/RS/GT350.

Random
August 8th, 2017, 07:53 PM
Assuming you want to spend six years paying for your car...

KillerB
August 8th, 2017, 07:59 PM
No one makes you pay for the whole 72 months.

thesameguy
August 8th, 2017, 09:55 PM
Er...

dodint
August 9th, 2017, 04:57 AM
No one makes you pay for the whole 72 months.

Is this a callback to my Challenger negotiation? The dealer actually said that about the 75 month loan he was trying to sell me. "Look, you only pay for what you drive, trade it in and you don't have the payment anymore."

KillerB
August 9th, 2017, 07:45 PM
I meant you can pay it off early without penalty. No reason not to take advantage of zero percent financing for as long as they'll give it to you, if you insist on paying early or taking the whole time to do so, it makes no difference on the cost of the loan.

I'd argue that taking money you would spend to pay it off early and investing it, and then paying the car off over the full term, is the best deal of all.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

dodint
August 11th, 2017, 05:54 AM
Was talking to a guy last night at TNiA about his Laguna Seca Mustang. I'm *really* bad at following the thousands of Mustang variants so I didn't know what it was until he explained it. He did the Stage 2 weight redux, has a half cage from the factory where the back seats used to be. Really nicely done Mustang, I think it was a '13. Oddly there are two that regularly come to PittRace TNiA but I never really noticed.

Funny that it has the weight redux and no back seats but still has the child seat anchors. I wonder if that's a regulatory compliance thing.

He came on slicks. First session was rain and he gave me a nice point by. :up: After the session he came over to say how cool it was to see an older SVT Cobra out stretching its legs.

Bad zoom pic:

http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2524&d=1502459596

dodint
August 11th, 2017, 05:56 AM
I meant you can pay it off early without penalty. No reason not to take advantage of zero percent financing for as long as they'll give it to you, if you insist on paying early or taking the whole time to do so, it makes no difference on the cost of the loan.

I'd argue that taking money you would spend to pay it off early and investing it, and then paying the car off over the full term, is the best deal of all.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

No worries, just thought you were being cheeky.

Challenger guy told me not to worry about the total cost of financing because I'll probably trade the car in two years anyway. Real winner, that guy.

novicius
August 11th, 2017, 07:06 AM
Badassed, Nate! :cool: :up: #skills4kills

dodint
August 11th, 2017, 07:09 AM
Hey, it was the only condition where a street tire will outrun slicks. Standing water. ;)

Godson
August 11th, 2017, 01:09 PM
Dude. That looks like a Boss Mustang Laguna Seca...

dodint
August 11th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Yes, it is. Very nice guy.

Sad, little man
August 11th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Funny that it has the weight redux and no back seats but still has the child seat anchors. I wonder if that's a regulatory compliance thing.
It's probably just easier/more straightforward from a design or manufacturing standpoint to just leave them in, even with no rear seats.

dodint
August 15th, 2017, 06:51 AM
Can of worms incoming...

How much of a drop can I expect from simply swapping to more aggressive springs and whatever strut will need to be swapped in? I don't think I'm interested in coil overs for my Mustang anymore.

novicius
August 15th, 2017, 07:17 AM
It's an itch, ain't it? ;)

My advice is: don't touch your car. If it's set up and rides/handles nice, leave it alone and be happy.

So that said, the only coil-overs you can get are for the front which would be really helpful for lowering the front. I am running the lowest springs right now with the N/V/H isolating bushings ("isos"). It's still got gap.

I need to run with no isos if I want maximum low on spec'd uncut springs -- or coil-overs front and no isos rear. #shrug

dodint
August 15th, 2017, 07:28 AM
Should've pointed out that aesthetics aside, I'm also seeking a stiffer ride. It still has a very cushy feel.

My plan is to do some modest improvements early next spring and then put slicks on it and flog it through the summer. I ran three consecutive laps within .2 of a second last week. I think the car and I are at a little bit of a crossroad, thinking a stiffer ride might help me directly find more grip and help me know a little better what the car is doing

novicius
August 15th, 2017, 07:58 AM
My H&R Supersport springs require a *very* tough damper to master. I won't be able to report back until the end of this year (at the earliest) on how my revalved Bilstein HD's perform.

As always, I look forward to seeing what you find out. :up: :up:

dodint
August 15th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Fuck it.

I'll just toss a blower on there and see where it takes me.

All the way to the end of the straight is my guess, but with a Mustang you can never be sure.

thesameguy
August 15th, 2017, 08:04 AM
10" wheels and 285s.

Godson
August 15th, 2017, 01:41 PM
10" wheels and 285s.

I'll echo.

thesameguy
August 22nd, 2017, 04:02 PM
since this has become a catchall Mustang thread:

The damned Pick & Pull gets nearly $150 for a transmission these days - that's $100 + $30 core + tax - which is, like so many other aspects about their business, crazy. Back in my day, a transmission was $50 and if you were smart $25 on half off day. I'm going to seriously look at just buying a whole car -

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6241473730.html
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6257246559.html

etc.

Are there any valuable parts on a '94-'04 V6 Mustang that would offset $1000?

dodint
August 22nd, 2017, 04:08 PM
Off the top of my head? ABS components.

;)

Godson
August 22nd, 2017, 05:41 PM
Honestly.... No.

dodint
August 22nd, 2017, 05:44 PM
Yeah. The rear bumper cover has exposed Styrofoam under it. Not working with top shelf stuff here.

novicius
August 23rd, 2017, 05:24 AM
Interior bits if they're good.

The rear bumper cover can get you some action since people that go turbo or side-exit exhaust want to lose the dual cut-outs in the GT bumper.

EDIT: Ah you don't need the motor? 2001-2004 3.8L Essex w/. IMRC is the best V6. That's worth some money.

thesameguy
August 23rd, 2017, 07:47 AM
Yeah, no motor. Really just the transmission, driveshaft, and maybe the cross member. When buying $1000 cars, something is gonna be broken - body damage, swampy interior, or maybe a dead engine... just trying to figure out if I go this way, what area to target. ;)

novicius
August 23rd, 2017, 08:01 AM
Strip out the body including V6 wiring harness -- V8 guys looking for a roller can't use the V6 harnesses at all.

But yeah you might just have to bite the bullet and by a standalone transmission.

thesameguy
August 23rd, 2017, 08:14 AM
It definitely might come to that - you never know what the used market is going to cough up when you need it. ;) Maybe I will luck into something that has good wheels (sell) or tires (use). Just trying to see what the options are to maximize my dollars.

thesameguy
August 28th, 2017, 07:18 PM
There are suddenly a ton of crappy V6 Mustangs for sale.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-mustang-v6-5-speed/6277502555.html
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/03-mustang/6283408083.html
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-ford-mustang/6282641816.html
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1996-for-mustang-must-go/6278310871.html
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-mustang-40th-anniversary/6272377364.html
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-mustang/6261970508.html

Some of those are quite appealing!

CudaMan
August 28th, 2017, 08:38 PM
Appealing? :erm: :lol:

http://thenewswheel.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Nope-Meme.jpg

thesameguy
August 28th, 2017, 09:06 PM
If I can put in a little work and not shell out $300+ for a transmission, I'll do it every time. Every cent I can take out of the XR build makes it that much more worthwhile.

novicius
August 29th, 2017, 03:30 AM
Yeah I gotta go with Cuda on this: none of those look any good. Even the two "good" ones have blown airbags so who knows what happened to them or what condition the unibodies are in.

You'll have to explain a bit more about your plan to pull the trans and still recoup your losses on this, TSG. These cars are fun platforms to build up & run but they're absolute money pits. :lol:

thesameguy
August 29th, 2017, 12:01 PM
I don't think the airbags are blown, I think the covers have failed. Happens a lot on Y2K Fords. My friend had an E350 where the airbag was literally hanging out of the steering wheel on the driver's lap. It was funny in a "might kill you" sort of way. Either way, though, I don't care what condition the body is in... it's gonna get scrapped. It could be bent into a U; so long as the transmission is good I'm good. :)

From what I have found the value is going to be in the engine & some mechanicals & some electronics. There is zero chance of finding a 20 year old Ford interior in good shape, and I'm not going to deal with body panels. It's going to end up being 3.8 V6, wheels & tires, and electronic doodads. Oh, the cat and the battery, which are a couple hundred bucks in scrap. I keep the clutch (for modelling purposes), transmission, driveshaft, and maybe the crossmember. If I can find one at a pick & pull that's still an option; I'm not going to pay a wrecker $300-$400 unless I absolutely have to, and honestly there is some benefit in getting to drive the transmission first.

I've been pretty successful parting cars out in the past - made a grand on the Jag and broke even on the Focus (and I kept the engine). I'm not sure it's well advised here, but I'm certainly not ruling it out.

dodint
August 29th, 2017, 12:11 PM
If you happen upon one with functional ABS I'll buy some components off of you.

thesameguy
August 29th, 2017, 12:16 PM
If it happens, they're yours, no worries. It's pretty unusual problem, not something I'd expect to be able to sell anyway.

dodint
August 29th, 2017, 01:03 PM
It's probably just a dorked up sensor wire. When I get home I'll have to teach myself electrical diagnostics, and then follow that document I posted earlier.

I really should just take it to my Dad's and have us go over it together. He'd likely have it sorted before I even get the car all the way in the air.

thesameguy
August 30th, 2017, 06:39 PM
Sent ten emails to busted ass Mustang owners, got *one* reply.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6282641816.html

It is simultaneously the most busted (I think) but also possibly the closest, being about two miles from where I am right this second.

Kinda tempted to go try and drive it, see if he'll take five bills for it.

thesameguy
August 31st, 2017, 02:55 PM
Ouch.

https://static.dashub.com//images/2000-ford-mustang/lt6366385/1.jpg

thesameguy
September 6th, 2017, 07:19 AM
Related -

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6283408083.html

Took dude almost two weeks to reply, but he finally did. This POS is available, and it's a V6 with a manual transmission. It's pretty jacked, and the owner says it doesn't run, but at $200 it's tempting. I looked at all 13 Mustangs in the junkyard on Sunday, and every manual transmission was long gone so it *seems* even the $130 pull it yo self option may not be an option. $200 plus I get to do it in my driveway and then scrap what's left for $200 seems like a win so I'm going to look into this. My only fear is that the force of the impact may have damaged the transmission either through shock or actual movement. It looks like the bumper bar is in the right place, like maybe he went under a truck? This car has 200k on it which is another roadblock, but maybe I don't care right now.

dodint
September 6th, 2017, 07:30 AM
That is a weird impact. Not sure I've ever seen a hood neatly folded like a piece of copy paper.

thesameguy
September 6th, 2017, 07:43 AM
They're supposed to do that - the hood is part of the energy absorbing crumple zone and deforms in a specific way - but yeah, events unfolding so perfectly is really unusual. From the photo it looks like a completely square impact, two cars perfectly lined up. There is no damage on the bumper impact bar, though it appears the rails that support it up there might be bent down. Also weird is the front fenders being bowed in at the back, by the a pillar. It really looks like he ran into an SUV or something and the bumpers didn't connect so the truck's bumper pushed the hood back. Really, a perfect illustration of the safety problem trucks present to cars... if the bumpers don't match up it can be very dangerous for the car driver. I'm guessing this was a low-speed impact (~20mph) because NE Mustangs aren't particularly safe, and there appears to be no damage beyond the a-pillars. The occupants were fine.

Phil_SS
September 6th, 2017, 07:44 AM
Says it is an automatic......

thesameguy
September 6th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Yeah, dude isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer I don't think. ;)

dodint
October 15th, 2017, 07:09 AM
My Dad's motor is coming along nicely:

novicius
October 15th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Purty! :up: :up:

Heh did he get a pair of fishnets with that anodized purple slave cylinder? :lol: <3

dodint
October 15th, 2017, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I know, right? :lol:

Sad, little man
November 1st, 2017, 05:39 AM
HYBRID MUSTANG...

novicius
November 1st, 2017, 06:55 AM
Yep, looking forward to the deets. :up:

I wonder if Ford is gonna retuned EcoBoost I4 for more peaky performance since there will be battery power @ 0 RPM? It's not like the upcoming 2018 Mustang EcoBoost needs any more low-end grunt: it's currently listing as 310 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque! :lol:

::

As an aside, here's the mod list to put a current Mustang EcoBoost repeatably into the 11's:

2015-2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Perf Pack w/. 3.55 gears & automatic transmission
+ Cobb Tuning AccessPort
+ MAPerformance intercooler (for multiple runs)
+ Ford Performance Half-Shaft Upgrade Kit
+ Slicks
+ Race Gas Additive
+ aftermarket tune

= best of 11.73 at 115 mph

Sad, little man
November 1st, 2017, 07:09 AM
HYBRID

MUSTANG.

thesameguy
November 1st, 2017, 08:39 AM

I wonder if Ford is gonna retuned EcoBoost I4 for more peaky performance since there will be battery power @ 0 RPM? It's not like the upcoming 2018 Mustang EcoBoost needs any more low-end grunt: it's currently listing as 310 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque! :lol:

It should drive only the front wheels.

:mic drop:

novicius
November 1st, 2017, 10:11 AM
AWD M00stang Eco? I'm fine with that too. :cool:

thesameguy
November 1st, 2017, 11:01 AM
It'd be rad for sure - but probably impossible until we get "good" in-wheel motors.

But, it's gonna be a hybrid V8, because it has the power to offset the additional weight, and because it'll dramatically increase the EPA numbers to make them look better with CAFE, and because a hybrid V8 drivetrain translates directly into pickups and SUVs, and because a hybrid ecoboost creates a weird price point whereas a hybrid V8 creates a new tier with appropriate price premium to offset the higher cost.

novicius
November 1st, 2017, 11:12 AM
Hybrid V8? :lol: Hey sure, why not? I'm just repeating what I've seen written elsewhere.

Various sites are predicting front wheel electric motors. Me? I say put an electric booster motor on the driveshaft and just keep the hybrid system as simple as possible. #shrug

thesameguy
November 1st, 2017, 11:40 AM
It'd be amazing if there were front wheel motors - I'm certainly in huge support of that. I'm just not sure I see Ford bearing that much risk in a mass production car. I sure hope they do!

I don't personally see the real advantage of a hybrid four cylinder or how it would slot into the lineup, but maybe that's not important and Ford wants to preserve the purity of the V8. If Volvo can build a turbosuperhybridcharged car, there's no reason Ford can't build just a simple turbohybridcharged one. :lol:

Sad, little man
November 1st, 2017, 11:47 AM
HAWWWWWBRIIIID MOOOOOOOOSTAAAAWWNG!

thesameguy
November 1st, 2017, 11:54 AM
Jesus, man, it's not all that exciting. There's been hybrid Mustangs for years.

https://media.nbcnewyork.com/images/goldengatecar.jpg

Half car, half pedestrian.

novicius
November 1st, 2017, 11:55 AM
HAWWWWWBRIIIID MOOOOOOOOSTAAAAWWNG!

Yes, yes, like I've already said. :)

CudaMan
November 1st, 2017, 12:16 PM
Until then, enjoy this beauty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMEgVZdAZY4

thesameguy
November 1st, 2017, 12:23 PM
Man, those fenders fix every complaint I have about the current Mustang visually.

CudaMan
November 1st, 2017, 03:35 PM
They fix a lot of things. Too bad it's probably a 6 figure Mustang!

Mirage
November 2nd, 2017, 07:14 AM
So while Mustangs are out there crashing on their own free will, Ford Performance decided that offering a plug in and simple bolt electronic drift handbrake add on called the "Drift Stick" for the Focus RS's is a completely sane idea, get it soon for only $999

https://performanceparts.ford.com/sema/#wicked

novicius
December 18th, 2017, 04:26 AM
Cell Phone Spy Shots of the Upcoming Bullitt Mustang (https://gearheads.org/cell-phone-spy-shots-of-the-upcoming-bullitt-mustang/)

The reveal of a window sticker that had been leaked for the Bullitt Mustang just came out not too long ago. This shows us all that there will only be one engine option for the special edition. The 5L Coyote V8 is the beating heart paired with either a 10 speed auto or manual six transmission.
Well that's... easy. :lol:

novicius
January 5th, 2018, 06:56 AM
I understand that the lighting is different AND the exterior design is polarizing AND I'm biased because Bananastang...

...but I'm actually digging the brighter color over black. :up:

I didn't actually think I'd want to see the design details that much but the more I see of it, the less the front end bugs me. #acceptance

dodint
January 5th, 2018, 07:06 AM
That's not really banana, though. It's more of a Pumpkin Spice Mustang.

novicius
January 5th, 2018, 07:15 AM
Mmm Pumpkin Spice Mustang... :cool:

EDIT: Also this has been published for a few days now but Hot Rod has tested a bone stahk 2018 Ford Mustang GT automatic and it runs 11s in the quarter. (http://www.hotrod.com/articles/drag-testing-the-2018-ford-mustang-gt/)

The GT pulled hard, pouring on the power, spinning to redline, shifting and repeating again and again. Nearing the stripe, the Mustang clicked into sixth, the revs climbed and we crossed the finish line in 11.835 seconds at a tick under 120 mph (119.51 to be exact).

We’d done it, another best pass, and while elated, we wanted more. We started thinking, what could we do with drag radials, someone get us a cold air kit and a tune, what if we had a 3.73 gear? Well, those things will have to wait until another day, but the fact remained, the 2018 Mustang GT is a legit 11-second pony right from the showroom.
Merciful fates, I know Evan Smith is a mythic drag racer but control your commas man! :lol:

Heh, I remember when this vid dropped showing an automatic Camaro SS clicking off a 12.21 @ 115 MPH (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66kcZYTncMg) and thinking that bar was gonna stand for an entire generation of pony cars -- NOOOOOOOPE! :lol:

novicius
January 5th, 2018, 08:04 AM
Also the MSRP on a "stripper" 2018 Mustang GT w/. the 10-speed SelectShift trans & 3.55 LSD option sits right at $38K USD.

The estimated average transaction price of a new car or truck sold in the U.S. in April 2017 was $33,560 — 2.6% higher than in the month a year ago, according to data from auto researcher Kelley Blue Book.
So $4500 USD more than average... $15K USD down on a 72-month term would net one $370/mo. payment.

If one either had solid equity in their previous $30K daily driver or just cash on hand, it's not too far out of the norm for a new car monthly. :D #rationalizing

EDIT: Looks good in Lightning Blue. :shocker:

https://vimg.remorainc.com/mea/1fa6p8cf7j5110574/2018-ford-mustang-gt-lightning-blue-2.jpg

TheBenior
January 5th, 2018, 01:51 PM
My brother in law's 2014 F-150 is about to be paid off, so he decided to get another fun car, especially now that he's somewhere where one can be enjoyed year round (Irvine, CA).

I'm guessing he was at the local dealer for service, but he ended up buying a lightly used 2016 GT350 in white with blue stripes. That's kind of how he got his first Mustang, a 2002 dark blue GT. Brought his Focus ZX3 in for service, got convinced by the 0% financing at the time. :lol:

Not sure if I'll make it out there to see it this year, but I'll have to give it a whirl if I do. It's only got about 200 more horsepower than my Mazdaspeed3 ;)

Godson
January 5th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Dibs if he ever plans on selling it...

novicius
January 10th, 2018, 09:39 AM
Predator 5.2L supercharged V8-powered GT500 leaked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH7A_KgwPX0

GT350 & the Voodoo 5.2L are ending.

novicius
January 15th, 2018, 06:34 AM
Lotta Mustang news coming out of NAIAS:

The 2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt Is a Ripping 475-HP Tribute to the Original (http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/detroit-auto-show/a14783936/2019-ford-mustang-bullitt-debut-photos-specs-price/)

Mechanical changes make the Bullitt the meanest Mustang shy of a GT350. The 5.0-liter V8 gets a larger throttle body and special intake for at least a 15-hp bump over the 460-hp GT.

“We know we're over 475 hp and are still going through the final tuning to try to push that,” says chief engineer Carl Widdman.

A six-speed manual is the only transmission. Ford’s 10-speed automatic may have facilitated quicker acceleration, but Steve wouldn’t have cared, and neither should you. Active exhaust is standard. Widdman promises this Bullitt—the first since 2008, before Ford introduced the Coyote 5.0-liter V-8—will have a distinct growl. Top speed has been raised from 155 to 163 mph.

The Bullitt essentially carries over suspension and brake upgrades from the GT’s Performance Pack—Brembo brakes with larger rotors, Michelin PS4 summer tires. Magnetorheological dampers will be optional.

The Bullitt will not be offered with the track-oriented Performance Pack 2 (Michelin Sport Cup tires, stiffer suspension aero modifications). “Different kind of car,” Widdman says.
Love the recipe so far. :cool: :up:

novicius
January 15th, 2018, 06:38 AM
Unhappily, Ford leadership is deciding to use the "Mach 1" moniker on an SUV. (https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/14/ford-mach-1-battery-electric-performance-suv-detroit-naias/) :smh: :down:

What, "Lightning" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series#SVT_Lightning) was taken? :rolleyes:

novicius
January 16th, 2018, 04:30 AM
GT500 spotted? :assclown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg2Mz9Mmhz8

http://gtxforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2171&stc=1

There have been a lot of Easter eggs in the digital dashboard pics for the 2018 Mustang. Some folks think that they're indicating that the Mustang GT will come with 455 HP and that the GT500 will come with 755 HP. For this car to trip the lights at 10.98 @ 126 MPH, that's 700-horse territory. The factory-driven Hellcat time is 11.2 @ 126 MPH (10.8 on drag radials).
So a year later, Ford officially announces the Shelby GT500 with a "700+ HP" declaration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtlmJLl18zo

...using FM7. :lol:

novicius
January 31st, 2018, 07:33 AM
The booonestaaahk 11-second run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW-XYwiIkq0

Motor Trend put out a piece where the new Mustang GT ran 12.6? (http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/camaro/2018/2018-chevrolet-camaro-ss-1le-vs-2018-ford-mustang-gt-performance-pack-comparison/?sm_id=organic_fb_MT_trueanthem&utm_campaign&utm_content=5a71859504d3016f365f8807&utm_medium&utm_source) Ah, a six-speed car. :lol:

novicius
February 12th, 2018, 07:39 PM
This Termi popped up in one of my FB feeds -- the show car of a professional chef outta Texas. :twitch: :up:

dodint
February 12th, 2018, 07:44 PM
Better than ending up in a junkyard, I guess. Rare to see someone open a JC Whitney catalogue and order one of everything.

novicius
February 12th, 2018, 07:55 PM
I like the windshield wipers-delete option... but then the guy did say he never drives it in the rain because chrome. :lol:

XHawkeye
November 20th, 2020, 04:52 AM
Cheap at twice the price

https://photos.smugmug.com/MISC/i-VFZHqdJ/0/aaf11df6/X2/Capture070-X2.jpg

Save $10k skip the strip.

https://photos.smugmug.com/MISC/i-JmFGT9Z/0/7d1e3b50/X2/Capture071-X2.jpg

Kchrpm
November 20th, 2020, 06:33 AM
0-60 victims in less than 10 seconds!

Cam
March 31st, 2022, 04:02 AM
A Mustang crashed into the new(ish) fence at the hospital down the street the other day.

Kchrpm
March 31st, 2022, 04:33 AM
Probably trying to finish off someone it put there over the weekend.

JoshInKC
March 31st, 2022, 04:35 AM
Probably trying to finish off someone it put there over the weekend.

+10 Comedy points to Keith

Cam
March 31st, 2022, 04:52 AM
A+, would read again. :lol:

Leon
March 31st, 2022, 02:19 PM
NZ is going through a real Mustang influx, as you can get them in right hand drive now.

Although, I suspect it is going to mean a lot of brand new cookie cutter Mustangs (oh wow, you put big wheels and a spoiler on a stock Mustang, boy, you're really pushing the boat out there sunshine) being ignored at American car meet ups, while everyone looks at the 1960's stuff that has turned up instead.

*I work in the regulatory organisation that does the rulebook and certificates for modified cars, and I'm seeing oodles of brand new Mustangs with the exact same list of modifications done to them.