PDA

View Full Version : What are you watching?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

speedpimp
March 10th, 2022, 02:46 PM
On which platform, Rich?

Xbox. It's the only one of the streaming apps I use(Prime, Hulu, D+, Netflix, Tubi, Pluto TV) that I ever have an issue with. Usually quitting the app and restarting will fix issues where the stream drops in the middle of a show(especially with The Sopranos), but this was the first time there was an issue from the start of a show. On the fifth episode now and it hasn't had an issue at all.

Tom Servo
March 10th, 2022, 03:43 PM
Anyone watch Love is Blind?

I don't watch it...but the wife and kids were watching the other day on Netflix, and wouldn't let me change it. I guess it was a reunion episode from season 2. It was quite ridiculous to watch. Especially that guy Shake - a complete pig as far as I can tell. FFS what a total embarrassment to the rest of us brown guys. :down:

It's a total dumpster fire, and I like trashy reality TV. The first season was "better", this one was just painful. And yes, Shake was a dipshit, though he had nothing on Shane and his Gary Busey impressions.

(For the record, we would not have been watching this except Michele's boss was watching and wanted to be able to talk about the episodes with her during downtime at work)

dodint
March 10th, 2022, 05:33 PM
Xbox. It's the only one of the streaming apps I use(Prime, Hulu, D+, Netflix, Tubi, Pluto TV) that I ever have an issue with. Usually quitting the app and restarting will fix issues where the stream drops in the middle of a show(especially with The Sopranos), but this was the first time there was an issue from the start of a show. On the fifth episode now and it hasn't had an issue at all.

Ah, well, good luck.

MR2 Fan
March 11th, 2022, 07:00 PM
Batman 1989....been so long since I've watched it...I still love the style of Gothic City of that era...will probably also watch Batman Returns

JoshInKC
March 12th, 2022, 05:06 AM
Hah! I just watched Batman '89 and started Returns on Thursday night - Same with me, I don't think I've seen it since dvd became a thing, but I was shocked at how well I remembered it.

Leon
March 12th, 2022, 11:58 AM
"B Positive" and "Call Me Kat" ... how do shows like this get green lit, and then even more alarming, how do they get a second season?
They're just totally unfunny. I've persisted with them because I like an actor in each series, and I am hoping that eventually they will start to shine. But no, I'm not changing expression most episodes, much less laughing. Yet there's a screaming laugh track that has imaginary people wetting themselves with laughter after every single spoken line.

Kchrpm
March 12th, 2022, 01:24 PM
Turning Red was very good.

dodint
March 12th, 2022, 03:41 PM
"B Positive" and "Call Me Kat" ... how do shows like this get green lit, and then even more alarming, how do they get a second season?
They're just totally unfunny. I've persisted with them because I like an actor in each series, and I am hoping that eventually they will start to shine. But no, I'm not changing expression most episodes, much less laughing. Yet there's a screaming laugh track that has imaginary people wetting themselves with laughter after every single spoken line.

People that watch them make advertisers think they should continue.

You. You are the reason.

Leon
March 12th, 2022, 05:23 PM
Ah, no ... I view them on "obtained media". So I won't be on their ratings radar.

MR2 Fan
March 14th, 2022, 11:47 PM
Watched F9 on HBO Max...................WOOF

just woof....disbelief meter over 9,000!! There are no stakes, everything has been done before just with slightly different characters...Vin Diesel does the same crap every movie.

The action scenes are totally absurd, not even that entertaining (however I will say the whole electromagnet thing was at least a bit more interesting in theory, but they OVERDID IT, like they do everything now)

It's practically self-parody.

Highlight is Helen Mirren in a quick cameo

JoeW
March 17th, 2022, 04:45 PM
Hilarious that i had to update all my Disney+ ratings to MA now that all the Netflix Marvel shows were moved over. I’m like wtf is this? Then I saw Daredevil, Punisher, Jessica Jones etc pop up :)

sandydandy
March 20th, 2022, 02:25 PM
Watched Deep Water on Prime Video. It was alright. If you enjoy seeing the irresistible and mouth watering Ana de Armas in all her hotness, then this movie is for you. Story was a little fucked up though.

JoeW
March 20th, 2022, 02:43 PM
Watching Severance on Apple TV. Slow burn mystery type of show but it is holding my interest.

George
March 22nd, 2022, 12:11 PM
I somehow had never heard of this movie until I heard Danny Trejo's autobiography on audiobook, in which he mentions the origin of his Machete character...which I also was unfamiliar with.

It's on YouTube for free with no ads. What a ride!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMHiHQjSVM4

speedpimp
March 22nd, 2022, 12:46 PM
It was originally part of a double feature with Robert Rodriguez's "Planet Terror". Between the movies were fake trailers for Rob Zombie's "Werewolf Women Of The SS", Edgar Wright's "Don't" and Eli Roth's "Thanksgiving".

George
March 22nd, 2022, 01:04 PM
Yes, Trejo explained that in his book. Apparently there was a fake trailer for "Machete" also, and it was later made it into a real movie and a sequel.

Hey, look what else I found on YouTube! I haven't seen this in a very long time.

I bet it's a lot worse than I remember. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiymIpZGspM

Tom Servo
March 27th, 2022, 07:30 PM
So, I'll start this one. Will Smith was 100% justified in smacking Chris Rock, and fuck him for going after someone's wife like he was invited to a roast. Weak fucking joke going after someone for something she can't control.

I am basically never a fan of resorting to violence, but if someone went on stage and starting talking shit about my wife when she's only there to support me, you best bet that you're going to get punched.

sandydandy
March 27th, 2022, 07:32 PM
I think it was staged.

Tom Servo
March 27th, 2022, 07:35 PM
I thought it was at first, but given how much of it was censored out here, I'm not so sure. If you're doing a staged bit for a show, you don't start yelling in a way that leads them to cutting out 20 seconds or so of audio.

Also, I've seen Chris Rock try to act. He seemed genuinely shook, and I don't think he's capable of faking that.

dodint
March 27th, 2022, 07:57 PM
Will laughed at the joke at first which makes it even better.

Rock just standing there mugging with his hands behind his back with his jaw pushed out there is the tell for me. Totally normal reaction to someone coming at you.

Tom Servo
March 27th, 2022, 07:59 PM
Well, maybe you're all right and it's a false flag. I just don't see a) that Chris Rock is capable of pulling this off and b) what the goal would be if it was faked.

dodint
March 27th, 2022, 08:02 PM
I have no idea. My initial reaction was that it was a bit and Smith overacted the shouting from his seat. But I have only seen bits of it on Twitter. None of it looks natural but it's a production put on by phonies so who knows. Either way it is the most social media engagement the Oscars have gotten since #OscarsSoWhite.

Tom Servo
March 27th, 2022, 08:06 PM
it's a production put on by phonies

Everyone outside of the tiny documentary bit has a job in acting or facilitating people acting. Should we be expecting something different?

Tom Servo
March 27th, 2022, 08:17 PM
What's been interesting to me is how so many people I know reacted in ways I would not expect. I don't even know that I reacted in the way I'd expect.

sandydandy
March 27th, 2022, 08:28 PM
Just saw the full version with Will Smith cussing at the end. Kinda looks legit. It’s hard to say. I didn’t really understand the joke and why it would be offensive. It was a GI Jane joke. Also looked like Will had a few drinks in him.

sandydandy
March 27th, 2022, 08:38 PM
I understand the joke now. Jomboy explained it well.

https://youtu.be/Zo6s3IrVOZw

Looking very legit.

MR2 Fan
March 27th, 2022, 11:25 PM
My only defense of Chris Rock is if he didn't know it was a disease and not just a fashion choice (assuming he wrote the joke or just ad-libbed it).

Either way, Will went too far IMO

Leon
March 28th, 2022, 02:03 AM
Severance.

What the actual uckfay.

dodint
March 28th, 2022, 05:13 AM
What's been interesting to me is how so many people I know reacted in ways I would not expect. I don't even know that I reacted in the way I'd expect.

I mentioned it to Ashie and she sided with Will, saying she's tired of roast comics/hosts. This is interesting because we're both big Ricky Gervais fans.

sandydandy
March 28th, 2022, 06:08 AM
My only defense of Chris Rock is if he didn't know it was a disease and not just a fashion choice (assuming he wrote the joke or just ad-libbed it).

Either way, Will went too far IMO Even if he did know about it, alopecia is not very high on the totem pole of diseases, and does go away. My friend had it in 2014, and his bald area, (which we jokingly called his “bullet hole”), healed up by the end of 2015 and his hair grew back.

Maybe Jada is too sensitive about this. Imagine Chris Rock talked about their open marriage. :lol: Interesting how Will Smith laughed at first and then had to save himself by slapping Rock.

Kchrpm
March 28th, 2022, 06:57 AM
As he says in his speech, you're supposed to fake laugh and pretend you're on with everything. He decided not to pretend anymore.

MR2 Fan
March 28th, 2022, 08:54 AM
Even if he did know about it, alopecia is not very high on the totem pole of diseases, and does go away. My friend had it in 2014, and his bald area, (which we jokingly called his “bullet hole”), healed up by the end of 2015 and his hair grew back.

Maybe Jada is too sensitive about this. Imagine Chris Rock talked about their open marriage. :lol: Interesting how Will Smith laughed at first and then had to save himself by slapping Rock.

That's the weird part to me. Either Will didn't realize the joke at first...got a bad look from Jada (and I'm SURE there is a lot more to that, background related that we don't know about). For all we know they had a fight/talk before the whole ceremony or something and he felt like he had to do something.

dodint
March 28th, 2022, 09:16 AM
The background is that Jada is banging her son's friends and Will won't tell her to stop because he wants to stay married. That whole family is toxic.

sandydandy
March 28th, 2022, 01:37 PM
So back to movies...

I watched a couple of decent ones over the weekend. The Invisible Man, which was quite excellent. Over two hours long but well worth it. Also watched the Weekend Away, which was sort of a lukewarm mystery/thriller that kept dragging on. It wasn't bad...just average.

speedpimp
March 28th, 2022, 02:07 PM
The background is that Jada is banging her son's friends and Will won't tell her to stop because he wants to stay married. That whole family is toxic.

So what you're saying is that Will doesn't have the WILL to stop it.

A better joke would've been "I see Jada Pinkett-Smith got the lead in the Sinead O'Connor biopic."

Leon
March 28th, 2022, 03:00 PM
Regardless of the punch, Jada P-S is rocking hell out of the polished dome.

There was a girl who I did some of the same gym classes at a few years ago who had alopecia, and holy hell was she stunning looking.

I mean, as a follicle challenged individual myself, I might be a bit biased.

JoshInKC
March 28th, 2022, 03:29 PM
Severance.

What the actual uckfay.

Yeah.
Weird show, we're enjoying it though.

Rare White Ape
March 30th, 2022, 03:51 AM
Moon Knight is highly recommended by me.

That is all.

Crazed_Insanity
March 30th, 2022, 07:25 AM
Well, maybe you're all right and it's a false flag. I just don't see a) that Chris Rock is capable of pulling this off and b) what the goal would be if it was faked.

Goal would be to generate ratings and interests for a possibly dying industry? Or at least ratings for the Oscars ceremonies had been in decline for years?

However, I can't believe Will Smith would agree to such a staged fight that'd put himself in such negative light on himself.

Chris Rock was like NATO and Will Smith reacted like Putin. At least Smith cried and apologized. Hope Putin will do the same or die soon.

Anyway, Will Smith must've love his wife very much, but his way of 'protecting' his wife is just... not very good.

speedpimp
March 30th, 2022, 10:44 AM
Or judging by the look she gave him he decided to do what he did instead of getting bitched at by her for the next month.

Crazed_Insanity
March 30th, 2022, 11:45 AM
:lol:

speedpimp
April 2nd, 2022, 03:40 PM
Billy/i, pretty sure that if your Mrs. gave you that same look you'd become a man of action as well.

sandydandy
April 2nd, 2022, 06:04 PM
Watched the Benefactor last night, starring Richard Gere and Dakota Fanning. Was waiting for Dakota to remove her clothing and grace us with another over the top sex scene...but then realized that was a different Dakota. :lol:

The move was pure shit, BTW. Avoid it.

sandydandy
April 13th, 2022, 06:30 AM
Watched the Intruder the other day. Not a terrible film, but not great either. It was highly predictable. Dennis Quaid was actually quite good in it.

dodint
April 13th, 2022, 06:32 AM
I stumbled across a 'film' I'd never heard of the other day, called Roadracers. Was a weird near-parody of the old teen movies from the '50s. It starred David Arquette and a young Salma Hayak. Was just a really weird vibe the whole way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpj_q_b5YKM

William Sadler was fun as the Sheriff. Also, that trailer is weird in that it gives Salma a completely different name (Helen...Chambers?).

MR2 Fan
April 15th, 2022, 05:23 PM
MoonKnight...it's fine, but so far not in my top MCU shows, I'm just not that invested yet

JoeW
April 16th, 2022, 09:52 AM
Same.

Leon
April 16th, 2022, 12:58 PM
I've finished the first series of Severance. Still, WTF. I like it, but I'm totally confused.

sandydandy
April 16th, 2022, 01:52 PM
MoonKnight...it's fine, but so far not in my top MCU shows, I'm just not that invested yet I haven't started yet. Not really interested in the character, even in my comicbook reading days. Always saw him as a third tier character. Maybe I'll give it a shot a little later.

I skipped over the Hawkeye series, but am thinking I should probably watch it because it'll likely tie-in to future films. Still need to watch Eternals as well.

Rare White Ape
April 16th, 2022, 03:01 PM
Hawkeye was a lot of fun. Of recent Marvel stuff, it’s all been pretty bland, but the best by far was Loki, which was amazing.

MR2 Fan
April 16th, 2022, 03:23 PM
Hawkeye was fun...low tier, not big stakes and it has an appearance by my love...ahem...Yelena Belova

Rare White Ape
April 17th, 2022, 04:37 PM
Oh yes, Black Widow’s hot sister.

Rare White Ape
April 17th, 2022, 04:41 PM
Speaking of hot women, I watched the newest Bond film. It was a ride! You could check all of the boxes on a list of Bond tropes. Fantastic.

And Ana de Armas’s role was an interesting one. In the first minutes I thought she was blowing it with hammy acting but that was legitimately the character, which I ended up loving, and she pretty much stole that scene. By the time she departed I wanted more!

MR2 Fan
April 18th, 2022, 02:31 AM
Speaking of hot women, I watched the newest Bond film. It was a ride! You could check all of the boxes on a list of Bond tropes. Fantastic.

And Ana de Armas’s role was an interesting one. In the first minutes I thought she was blowing it with hammy acting but that was legitimately the character, which I ended up loving, and she pretty much stole that scene. By the time she departed I wanted more!

Yes, she was awesome...people want her to come back whenever they do the next movie. I loved "No Time to Die" overall, very well done send off for Daniel Craig.

Yw-slayer
April 18th, 2022, 06:11 AM
Encanto, followed by Turning Red.

Generally, and otherwise, Halo, Picard, and Korean Pork Belly Rhapsody.

speedpimp
April 18th, 2022, 04:16 PM
Just started season 5 of Better Things.

Human Resources on Netflix is a spin-off of Big Mouth and is just as funny as that show.

In the middle of Stay Close. Another Harlan Coben series. Somebody has a secret and a bunch of other people have secrets as well. At least it has English accents, those make everything better.

Finished up Inventing Anna. Julia Garner kills it as Anna, that accent though.

dodint
April 18th, 2022, 04:57 PM
You have to jerk them off every two hours...or else.

Rare White Ape
April 18th, 2022, 05:36 PM
Halo

What does everyone think of this series? I'm surprised that nobody here has brought it up yet (although that could be because it's on Paramount+ and it's apparently not available in the UK yet, plus nobody has P+ anyway, but it's not like that can't be fixed simply by sailing the seven seas).

I, for one, am enjoying it, while seemingly everyone else in the gamersphere is being sad cry-babies about it like they were with Star Wars.

Leon
April 18th, 2022, 07:03 PM
It's not bad overall. I mean, it's not a cinematic masterclass, but also, it's built on the premise of a FPS shooter.

JoeW
April 18th, 2022, 07:29 PM
I am current on Halo. Also liking it.

Any opinions on the new Batman yet? Not my favorite comic character but I have stayed current on all the comic book genre movies besides Joker and Birds of Prey (not really interested). I have heard conflicting opinions and I really don’t want to slog through 3hrs unless it’s way above average.

Rare White Ape
April 19th, 2022, 04:53 AM
Put your hands up if you like movies!

Keep your hands up if you like racing films....

Alright. Now, keep your hands up if you randomly watched Days of Thunder.... and it turned out to be an unironically and legitimately good film :D

I haven't seen it in 20 years!

JoeW
April 19th, 2022, 06:09 AM
He may be an asshole in real life but I like most of Cruise’s movies :)

Jason
April 19th, 2022, 06:16 AM
Finally saw The Batman

It was amazing. Highly recommend watching in the dark on an OLED type tv, with a decent sound system

sandydandy
April 19th, 2022, 04:50 PM
Better Call Saul season 6. Just watched the first episode, pretty good start to what promises to be a stellar final season.

Yw-slayer
April 19th, 2022, 06:47 PM
It's not bad overall. I mean, it's not a cinematic masterclass, but also, it's built on the premise of a FPS shooter.

I agree with this view of Halo. Its fine. The detail in the graphics(?) and sound is really good. The level of diversity (and quality of those and other actors/actresses) is also helpful.

Rare White Ape
April 19th, 2022, 07:09 PM
Yes! In particular I think Yerin Ha is awesome.

sandydandy
April 19th, 2022, 10:41 PM
Binge watched all six episodes of Hawkeye. It wasn’t bad. Kind of felt rushed and messy at times, but it definitely had its good moments too. Especially emotional depth every time Clint thought of Natasha.

Falcon and Winter Soldier remains atop the MCU TV series as my overall favorite. That one had the most depth.

I don’t believe for a second that the Kingpin is dead. I’m not terribly familiar with the character’s history in the comics, but I did read that he survived being shot by Maya in a similar storyline to this, which will probably be the case here too. He’s too high profile of a villain to just die like that. I think he’ll be back, possibly for Young Avengers as the main street level villain.

Yw-slayer
April 19th, 2022, 10:53 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I also watched What If...? Those were good. High-quality art and good fun.

JoeW
April 20th, 2022, 03:11 AM
I’m going to have to say I enjoyed Loki best of all the MCU series thus far. Now, if we can include the Netflix Marvel series, then it’s absolutely no contest whatsoever :) Netflix has done Marvel the best by far.

speedpimp
April 20th, 2022, 04:02 AM
Better Call Saul season 6. Just watched the first episode, pretty good start to what promises to be a stellar final season.

Watched the first two episodes yesterday. Great start, me bruv.

sandydandy
April 20th, 2022, 08:29 AM
Watched the first two episodes yesterday. Great start, me bruv. How'd you watch two episodes, bruv? I see only one available from the source I'm looking at. I'll have to check again today.

speedpimp
April 20th, 2022, 08:44 AM
I have AMC+ through Prime and the first two episodes are up there.

Rare White Ape
April 20th, 2022, 03:34 PM
I watched The Batman last night. Highly recommended, highly enjoyable. This one removes the fluff and creates a really good detective film using the best elements available, despite my opinion of Pattinson’s portrayal being as shallow as a puddle.

It has earned a top-three spot among the best Batman films in my opinion. The other two are Michael Keaton’s 1989 Batman, and The Dark Knight with Christian Bale.

I was reeeeeeeaaaaally hoping that this was a continuation of the story set in Joker (because that’s the real MVP best Batman film, except it doesn’t feature Batman) and was disappointed when it became clear that nothing carried over from that flick. I purposely avoided having anything from the film spoiled in case it ruined it for me, but would’ve just died of happiness if Joaquin Phoenix showed up on screen.

MR2 Fan
April 20th, 2022, 03:58 PM
Joaquin Phoenix's Joker was in the 70's, so it was 50 years ago vs. the current Batman film, so unless they made this a "Same actor, different Joker" type of thing, it wouldn't have worked.

MR2 Fan
April 20th, 2022, 06:06 PM
Moon Knight Episode 4....no spoilers but WHOA that took a huge turn

JoeW
April 20th, 2022, 06:57 PM
I am enjoying Moon Knight but only as long as it stays in the supernatural realm. As soon as it becomes a dude with multiple personalities fighting crime then I’m probably out.

I am 75% through Batman after 3 days of segmented viewing. I do think this is the type of Batman I like most. Good old fashioned murder mystery stuff. None of the over the top tech toys that couldn’t possibly be made in the basement of your house without Elon Musks help. This is my favorite bat mobile by far. No bullshit bat planes, invincible armor, laser this and heat seeking that. Just a gritty real Batman.

Now Pattinson as Batman is pretty one dimensional. Not really a fan but whatever. It works in this movie.

sandydandy
April 26th, 2022, 01:32 PM
Watched I’ll Follow You Down the other day. Starring that annoying kid from the Sixth Sense, who is now a man and is still kind of annoying.

Story was pretty decent and intriguing, but…
…the ending was rather anticlimactic.

MR2 Fan
April 26th, 2022, 04:02 PM
I watched the Hulu series "The Dropout" about Elizabeth Holmes who founded the scam company Theranos. I think the name of the show is...not great? I don't know what her being a college dropout has to do with her being a scam artist, or at the very least, pushing to keep making money without having a viable product even if in theory she started out trying to make something legitimate.

If the show is accurate, there were definitely some stupid missteps her company made that could have been resolved way better early on and who knows, could have made it a real, legit company. It is sad and scary how she became a billionaire without a real product. I've heard this has negatively affected other female CEO's too which sucks

Rare White Ape
April 26th, 2022, 05:33 PM
Joaquin Phoenix's Joker was in the 70's, so it was 50 years ago vs. the current Batman film, so unless they made this a "Same actor, different Joker" type of thing, it wouldn't have worked.

Oh sheeeeee I thought it was in the 80s! Even then, the age of Bruce Wayne would be a decade off. Thinking about that is scary.

But hey Batman is pretty era-agnostic so it could have even worked if the film was a prequel to Batman (1989) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DCXVpha8YA&ab_channel=Catana%3Acat).

sandydandy
April 26th, 2022, 06:17 PM
I have AMC+ through Prime and the first two episodes are up there. Did you watch the third episode, bruv?

Holy shit!

RIP Nacho :(

speedpimp
April 27th, 2022, 05:08 PM
I watched tonight, bruv. Great episode. Things are only going to get better from here.

Rare White Ape
April 27th, 2022, 08:54 PM
Regarding the Batman time periods discussion from earlier on, I thought you guys might like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B90ic2iKDo&ab_channel=Corridor

Dicknose
April 27th, 2022, 09:41 PM
I watched tonight, bruv. Great episode. Things are only going to get better from here.

Sounds like I need to watch Saul
Just seems like a million years since the last season.
And Im sure I have it somewhere, remember promos for it on one of the streaming services
(and who said streaming would make it all easier - so many devices to sign up for, some for just 1 show)

Rare White Ape
April 28th, 2022, 01:44 AM
Moon Knight is getting better and better, holy shit. They’re covering a sensitive topic around dissociative identity disorder in such a beautiful way (I would assume, as I am not someone with that disorder) while also throwing in a good story that you start to wonder what ‘reality’ is and begin to understand that this must be what it’s like.

From the first episode I kinda guessed that this would be the way it goes, similar to how Pixar’s Inside Out and Ninja Theory’s Hellblade started to explore mental illness with strong narrative hooks rather than straight clinical definitions. And even if it didn’t have the exciting archaeological adventures behind it I’d be hooked. It’s very good, and Oscar Isaac is on top of his game here. It’s essential viewing, I think.

speedpimp
April 30th, 2022, 11:24 AM
I watched the first few episodes of Moon Knight but got side tracked by a million other things.

sandydandy
April 30th, 2022, 12:09 PM
I’ll start Moon Knight when the series is finished. Then I can binge watch through it in one sitting.

JoeW
April 30th, 2022, 12:20 PM
I am entertained by Moon Knight but I could never binge it. I prefer it once a week.

My wife and I have started rewatching Two and a Half Men from the beginning. I had truly forgotten how funny that show was. One of the best true comedy series ever…until Kutcher came along.

MR2 Fan
April 30th, 2022, 06:19 PM
Moon Knight is getting better and better, holy shit. They’re covering a sensitive topic around dissociative identity disorder in such a beautiful way (I would assume, as I am not someone with that disorder) while also throwing in a good story that you start to wonder what ‘reality’ is and begin to understand that this must be what it’s like.

From the first episode I kinda guessed that this would be the way it goes, similar to how Pixar’s Inside Out and Ninja Theory’s Hellblade started to explore mental illness with strong narrative hooks rather than straight clinical definitions. And even if it didn’t have the exciting archaeological adventures behind it I’d be hooked. It’s very good, and Oscar Isaac is on top of his game here. It’s essential viewing, I think.

I'm about to start calling the MCU streaming shows the "MTU"= Marvel Traumatic Universe

sandydandy
May 1st, 2022, 03:42 PM
Watched the in Between. It was pretty decent. Stars a girl named Joey King. Looking at her filmography I see she was the kid Talia that escaped the underground prison in the Dark Knight Rises. I would’ve never recognized her if I didn’t look it up.

Rare White Ape
May 4th, 2022, 09:22 PM
The finale of Moon Knight was very good. Quite satisfying. These people know how to pump out a TV series.

SportWagon
May 5th, 2022, 03:28 PM
I happened to catch in the middle of the night about five minutes of the move I Walk Alone with Michael Douglas in it. Wait no, it was 1948, that's Kirk Douglas! (Recorded a snippet to show my wife).

Every day I record and watch only the intros from Bonanza, usually ending just after the episode title. Yesterday Dennis Hopper was the special guest star. I began thinking of the contrast between his aging and that of Robert Vaughn (whom he vaguely resembled in the Bonanza episode). But when I check, Dennis Hopper didn't really age all that badly. And I come to the conclusion perhaps Dennis was actually a more versatile actor than Robert. I mean, he (Dennis) really took on the part of a scruffian for Easy Rider, but could do cleaned up roles too.

Today, just before Bonanza, first Uncle Charley episode of My Three Sons.

And, oh wait, a few weeks back I did see Robert Vaughn on Bonanza also. With, of all people Dawn Wells (Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island).

Semi-interestingly, a Google search seems to imply an unverifiable rumour that Dawn Wells was a long-time reccurence on Gunsmoke. Oh now I understand.

Ahem.

Search Google for "dawn wells gunsmoke".

(YMMV) (And by all rights this should eventually get fixed)
Click to reveal the hidden answer to...
Did Dawn Wells ever appear on Gunsmoke?

[b]Wells was one of the seven main characters on the show.[b] The show was her big break in Hollywood, growing her name exponentially as a result. According to the Gilligan's Island actress, the show came to an end so that Gunsmoke could continue. Apr 19, 2021.

Now realize the quote is talking about Gilligan's Island. It makes sense. But read it as a direct answer to the question, and you think she not only appeared on Gunsmoke[/i[, but was a main character. Duh.
(Dawn Wells didn't go back to working on Gunsmoke; the rumour, which you can find more completely elsewhere, is that some TV exec wanted Gilligan's Island cancelled so his wife could keep watching [i]Gunsomoke).

dodint
May 6th, 2022, 04:59 AM
I saw the same episode with Dawn Wells. I always enjoy when she pops up in things like that.

MR2 Fan
May 8th, 2022, 02:50 PM
Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness.....I really enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect but it is one of my favorite MCU films. It's again very different than most of the other MCU films, so difficult for me to rank.

Leon
May 8th, 2022, 08:28 PM
older UK series "Coupling". Laughed my arse off, and binged all four (short) seasons in a week or so.

sandydandy
May 9th, 2022, 01:54 PM
Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness.....I really enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect but it is one of my favorite MCU films. It's again very different than most of the other MCU films, so difficult for me to rank. I haven't watched it yet, but kids saw it and loved it. Will watch it next weekend.

In the meantime I watched Every Breath You Take, with Casey Affleck. It was pretty decent...but I inadvertently spoiled myself by......looking at the cast list on iMDb as I was watching it.

Tom Servo
May 20th, 2022, 01:53 PM
Watching the new Kids in the Hall on Amazon Prime. Only two episodes in, but so far it's as funny as the old ones, if not better. Highly recommend it, and also apparently this weekend's metrics are important to Amazon when it concerns renewing for another season, so if anybody else is interested, this weekend would be a good time to watch.

Note: I would not watch with your kids, if you happen to have any. At least the first episode.

JoeW
May 20th, 2022, 02:09 PM
The rest of the episodes are good as well ;)

Leon
May 20th, 2022, 03:55 PM
Watching a series that has since finished, The Mindy Project.

Pretty entertaining.

I am amazed the utterly lackluster show Call Me Kat was renewed. It is sitting on a 5ish rating on IMDB. Weirdly, most of the really harsh ratings on it are just people hating Mayim, and her short hair. Cos, apparently that's a thing that matters? I'd give it a terrible rating just because it just isn't funny.

speedpimp
May 20th, 2022, 03:58 PM
Halfway through The Lincoln Lawyer and it's just as good as the movie version from a decade ago.

Tom Servo
May 20th, 2022, 04:32 PM
Watching a series that has since finished, The Mindy Project.

Pretty entertaining.

I am amazed the utterly lackluster show Call Me Kat was renewed. It is sitting on a 5ish rating on IMDB. Weirdly, most of the really harsh ratings on it are just people hating Mayim, and her short hair. Cos, apparently that's a thing that matters? I'd give it a terrible rating just because it just isn't funny.

Mindy Kaling is pretty great. If you haven't seen "Never Have I Ever", it's another one of hers that's also pretty great.

Leon
May 20th, 2022, 04:42 PM
Mindy Kaling is pretty great. If you haven't seen "Never Have I Ever", it's another one of hers that's also pretty great.

I haven't, and weirdly you are the second person to suggest Never Have I Ever to me this week. I'll hunt it out.

JoeW
May 20th, 2022, 07:38 PM
Yeah Never have I ever is a fun watch.

MR2 Fan
May 21st, 2022, 09:53 PM
I finally watched "The Belko Experiment". I didn't realize it was written by James Gunn, and it also has Sean Gunn as one of the office workers.

This is much more like "Battle Royale" in an office environment than "Office Space meets Battle Royale". Not much humor or office gags. Overall it was decent, but not groundbreaking.

Edit: Almost forgot...this also has Dutch Van Der Linde from RDR2...I mean, his voice actor.

Leon
May 22nd, 2022, 01:14 AM
You've Got Mail 1998, because it's still good.

JoeW
May 22nd, 2022, 08:13 PM
New season of Love Death Robots is good. Better than S2.

sandydandy
May 23rd, 2022, 03:12 PM
Looking forward to the next episode of Better Call Saul tonight. The pace has slowed down considerably since the big episode (#3 I think). Tonight’s episode should pick things up again, as it’s the mid-season finale.

speedpimp
May 24th, 2022, 02:18 PM
Things haven't slowed down a bit, bruv. Everything concerning Lalo has been amazing.

sandydandy
May 24th, 2022, 04:42 PM
Fucking hell, bruv. :eek:

Just wow!

Kchrpm
May 25th, 2022, 02:46 AM
The After Party, which is great.

Yobbo NZ
May 25th, 2022, 12:02 PM
I am a bit excited by this.
Most know the story, but this time it's told from Steve Jones' point of view, being based on his book.

https://youtu.be/9KhxwG0eCiE

dodint
May 25th, 2022, 02:27 PM
New season of Love Death Robots is good. Better than S2.

Night of the Mini Dead!

JoeW
May 25th, 2022, 02:56 PM
OMG that one was great!

Mason’s Rats and Jibaro also in my top 3.

Overall this season much better than 2.

FaultyMario
May 25th, 2022, 05:22 PM
I'm on season 2 of breaking bad.

JoeW
May 25th, 2022, 06:14 PM
Gave Rick and Morty a shot tonight by watching the Pilot. Just couldn't really get into it. Wasn't laughing out loud at anything. Maybe it's a mood watch?

Freude am Fahren
May 25th, 2022, 06:42 PM
I am a bit excited by this.
Most know the story, but this time it's told from Steve Jones' point of view, being based on his book.

https://youtu.be/9KhxwG0eCiE

This reminds me. I'm really not into period peices filmed to look like they were originally ilmed in that period. Winning Time does that too. I think it's kinda stupid. I don't mind the occassional shot made to look like period footage, but the whole thing? Also don't mind going for a classical shooting or editing style (see Oceans 12). But the lo-fi, aged film look for an entire thing annoys me.

Tom Servo
May 25th, 2022, 07:08 PM
Gave Rick and Morty a shot tonight by watching the Pilot. Just couldn't really get into it. Wasn't laughing out loud at anything. Maybe it's a mood watch?

That is one of those shows I just don't get. I have so many friends that love it, but it just does nothing for me.

dodint
May 25th, 2022, 07:17 PM
It took me some time to get into R&M. Even when I started looking it Infelt it was very uneven.

speedpimp
May 27th, 2022, 01:11 PM
Fucking hell, bruv. :eek:

Just wow!

I posted that BEFORE watching the episode. When what happened happened(and you know what fuckin' happened) I said "HOLY SHIT!" and laughed my ass off. Great ending to the first half, bruv.

Leon
May 27th, 2022, 08:18 PM
Obi-Wan, first two episodes done.

Not bad, but seems to be very slow paced for a series only looking to be 6 episodes. Perhaps they're only telling a very small tale?

Rare White Ape
May 27th, 2022, 08:54 PM
That is one of those shows I just don't get. I have so many friends that love it, but it just does nothing for me.

I got quite into Rick and Morty, I thought it was really clever and hilarious. I nearly bought a Pickle Rick Funko Pop. Then the grind started to set in during season three. I was still eagerly awaiting season four but I watched a few episodes and it was a bit of a hard slog.

Too fast-paced, too many sub-plots, too many things to keep track of lest you get left behind. The writers discovered who their main fan base is and leaned hard into its own pseudo-intellectual nonsense. I knew of the McDonald’s hot sauce incident and discovered more and more that their fan base was just a bunch of arse holes, and then tuned out.

MR2 Fan
May 28th, 2022, 10:23 PM
Watched all of Stranger Things Season 4 part 1...which is 7 episodes over 1 hour each...but it was sooo good, especially the ending of Episode 4 and 7, super well done.

sandydandy
May 29th, 2022, 12:12 PM
I posted that BEFORE watching the episode. When what happened happened(and you know what fuckin' happened) I said "HOLY SHIT!" and laughed my ass off. Great ending to the first half, bruv. For sure, me bruv! Can’t wait for July when it picks up again for the grand finale.

Currently trying to decide if I should start on Stranger Things or Obi-wan Kenobi. Leaning heavily towards Obi-wan.

speedpimp
May 29th, 2022, 12:35 PM
On ep. 2 of ST. After I'm done with this then I'll give Obi a try.

July can't get here soon enough, bruv.

speedpimp
May 30th, 2022, 02:09 PM
On episode five of Stranger Things and the character named Argyle needs to go the fuck away.

sandydandy
May 31st, 2022, 12:41 PM
Started Obi-wan and loving it so far. Can't wait for the next episode.

Also started Stranger Things and honestly the first episode felt like a chore to get through. Not really looking forward to the rest. It's been way too long since the previous season and I'm struggling to remember, (even with Netflix's brief recap, and my daughter's more detailed recap), and also struggling to find my passion for this show again. Maybe things will get better. I'll give episode 2 a go tonight.

On episode five of Stranger Things and the character named Argyle needs to go the fuck away. For sure, me bruv. Instantly forgettable character.

Tom Servo
May 31st, 2022, 02:40 PM
We started to watch season 2 of Girls5eva. I posted about season one earlier and how much I enjoyed it, so figured it behooved me to tell you not to bother with season two. It is, as they say in the business, not good.

speedpimp
May 31st, 2022, 04:23 PM
Started Obi-wan and loving it so far. Can't wait for the next episode.

Also started Stranger Things and honestly the first episode felt like a chore to get through. Not really looking forward to the rest. It's been way too long since the previous season and I'm struggling to remember, (even with Netflix's brief recap, and my daughter's more detailed recap), and also struggling to find my passion for this show again. Maybe things will get better. I'll give episode 2 a go tonight.

For sure, me bruv. Instantly forgettable character.

I wish he was forgettable, bruv. Instantly annoying is more like it. Plus the merch tie-ins for Surfer Boy Pizzas and Stranger Things Chicken Nuggets don't help things. It's even more annoying than the New Coke and Burger King scenes that were everywhewre in season three.

Leon
May 31st, 2022, 09:11 PM
We started to watch season 2 of Girls5eva. I posted about season one earlier and how much I enjoyed it, so figured it behooved me to tell you not to bother with season two. It is, as they say in the business, not good.

Bugger, I enjoyed the first season. Watched it with the ex GF, and we were about to launch into Season 2.

George
June 1st, 2022, 08:03 AM
Argo. I started the audiobook a while back but it didn't hold my interest. The movie was quite exciting. It's on Netflix right now in the USA.

JoeW
June 1st, 2022, 09:20 AM
Watching Night Sky on Amazon. Only two episodes in. Love the premise. Story is fairly slow thus far but it looks to be picking up.

I liked the latest Stranger Things. Could have done with a little less Jar Jar Binks (Argyle) but luckily he’s not a central character. This show holds such a strong nostalgia factor for me since I graduated HS in ‘86 and also played D&D quite a bit. So it’s hard not to enjoy a trip into my past…and the music selections are good as well.

sandydandy
June 2nd, 2022, 04:04 AM
Episode 3 of Obi-wan. It’s time…it’s time…it’s Vader time!

JoeW
June 2nd, 2022, 06:11 AM
So many inconsistencies in the space wizards soap opera. It’s almost too much to ignore.

Kchrpm
June 2nd, 2022, 10:51 AM
So many inconsistencies in the space wizards soap opera. It’s almost too much to ignore.

Yeah, I've been suspending my disbelief quite a bit just because.

George
June 2nd, 2022, 11:44 AM
I liked the latest Stranger Things...This show holds such a strong nostalgia factor for me since I graduated HS in ‘86 and also played D&D quite a bit.

Class of '86 roll call! :up:

I've never seen Stranger Things but always thought I'd give it a try someday. I've heard it's much better than That '70s Show and similar period shows that aren't as accurate with the details.

Speaking of D&D, I bet you remember a made-for-TV movie starring Tom Hanks in which he played a kid who got so into D&D that he lost touch with reality. I played just a little D&D back then with a neighbor kid who was really into it, but I remember that some parents were really concerned about brainwashing or witchcraft or whatever else they thought would happen if kids used their imagination too much.

And, whaddya know...it's on YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpcL-fQNPfQ

JoeW
June 2nd, 2022, 12:23 PM
Oh yeah I watched that back in the day :)

Blerpa
June 2nd, 2022, 12:42 PM
Class of '86 roll call! :up:

I've never seen Stranger Things but always thought I'd give it a try someday. I've heard it's much better than That '70s Show and similar period shows that aren't as accurate with the details.

Speaking of D&D, I bet you remember a made-for-TV movie starring Tom Hanks in which he played a kid who got so into D&D that he lost touch with reality. I played just a little D&D back then with a neighbor kid who was really into it, but I remember that some parents were really concerned about brainwashing or witchcraft or whatever else they thought would happen if kids used their imagination too much.

And, whaddya know...it's on YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpcL-fQNPfQ

That movie is adapted from a novel... a mediocre novel written to capitalize on the witch hunt that happened on rpg players, in the beginning of the 80s, mixing D&D and other games with accusations of satanism and devil worshipping.
Lame.

JoeW
June 4th, 2022, 12:28 PM
The Boys…still amazing.

speedpimp
June 4th, 2022, 03:56 PM
The Boys…still amazing.

That sneeze...

JoeW
June 4th, 2022, 04:04 PM
Lmao and poor Timothy.

Rare White Ape
June 4th, 2022, 11:41 PM

Care to point them out?

Leon
June 5th, 2022, 01:05 AM
Watched the original Top Gun. Still a terrible terrible movie, but with some good plane footage.

G'day Mate
June 5th, 2022, 01:44 AM
Love Death Robots, Night of the Mini Dead ... ZOMG!!!

JoeW
June 5th, 2022, 07:46 AM
Care to point them out?

I posted in the Star Wars thread :)

sandydandy
June 5th, 2022, 08:44 AM
I posted in the Star Wars thread :) I suspected you were talking about Star Wars with space wizards comment. I totally agree about the inconsistencies. But whatever. They say continuity is a good servant but a bad master. It is what it is.

JoeW
June 5th, 2022, 09:04 AM
Posted here

So the whole obi wan thing…spoilers follow.

So Vader can just pick him up with the force like a rag doll and drag him through the fire. But in the end tells his lackies to retrieve Obi Wan…because getting his hands on Obi is so fucking important that he’d rather them do it. And THEN when the sniper chick takes out a trooper and causes more fire, Vader all of a sudden can’t just force lift Obi to him? He loses his all important prize Obi due to some smoke? So fucking lame. These guys can sense each other miles away but 20ft away in some smoke is just too much.

Kchrpm
June 5th, 2022, 10:56 AM
I have seen the argument that he chose to let him go, for some larger purpose that we will find out later.

Rare White Ape
June 5th, 2022, 12:44 PM
As arguably the biggest Star Wars fan on this forum, I should agree with all the complaints. Yes, there are a lot of faults with all of the live action TV series so far.

But I let all of them slide… because why?

Because narrative, that’s why.

JoeW
June 5th, 2022, 01:08 PM
Yeah it’s just that the director chooses to hold the shot on certain scenes that highlight some of my issues. If it’s shot a certain way that highlights the chaos then I’d be happy.

If the sniper chick lays down more than one shot at a time I could see how Vader would be more distracted by the danger she poses.

Then they just focus on Vader staring through the smoke where Obi Wan lay…like he’s helpless now that there is smoke.

And the cargo ship escape. 3rd sister would have no problem making a call, finding out the destination and being there before it landed.

So many ways to avoid these issues as a director.

Tom Servo
June 5th, 2022, 08:11 PM
Love & Saucers, a ~hour long documentary on a guy who lost his virginity to an alien named "Crescent" and painted over a hundred paintings of the various encounters he had with the aliens, who were your standard greys, ladies who look like they might be in black metal bands, and mantises.

It was something.

Rare White Ape
June 8th, 2022, 03:37 AM
Ms Marvel is very watchable. It's presented more as a teen action show than what you'd expect a typical MCU show to be. If that puts you off then, oh well, go complain to Twitter.

The soundtrack is a banger.

Crazed_Insanity
June 8th, 2022, 09:00 AM
Yeah it’s just that the director chooses to hold the shot on certain scenes that highlight some of my issues. If it’s shot a certain way that highlights the chaos then I’d be happy.

If the sniper chick lays down more than one shot at a time I could see how Vader would be more distracted by the danger she poses.

Then they just focus on Vader staring through the smoke where Obi Wan lay…like he’s helpless now that there is smoke.

And the cargo ship escape. 3rd sister would have no problem making a call, finding out the destination and being there before it landed.

So many ways to avoid these issues as a director.

I kinda have to assume that Kchrpm is probably right... that Vader saw Frozen and learned from Elsa to let it go on purpose... :p

I suppose you can tell that Anakin wanted to see OB1 suffer as he did, not just to kill him.

Vader could also easily force snatch the sniper and kill her instantly too, but probably figure somebody needs to save the injured OB1...

Letting him live to suffer miserably in another future date.

As for the inability for the 3rd sister to figure out which cargo ship to chase after... that's much harder to explain away.

Kchrpm
June 8th, 2022, 09:02 AM
Ms Marvel Ep 1 was fun.

Crazed_Insanity
June 8th, 2022, 09:07 AM
Watched the original Top Gun. Still a terrible terrible movie, but with some good plane footage.

If you think it was terrible back in 1986, how can it possibly age well after all these decades? :p

Too cheesy? Sure. However, to me, original top gun is still one of the best films of all times!!!

Still haven't seen the sequel yet, but sounds like I won't be disappointed by the sequel.

Leon
June 8th, 2022, 10:52 PM
Hot Shots is a better Top Gun, than Top Gun was :P

MR2 Fan
June 9th, 2022, 08:25 PM
The Orville New Horizons (aka Season 3)

Episode 1 was great, Episode 2 was good but I wonder a few things the crew did which weren't the most sensible (then again it fits with the theme of the episode I guess)

MR2 Fan
June 10th, 2022, 05:21 AM
Watched the M Night Shaymalan movie "Old"....meh...not surprising coming from him. Once again, a good "Twilight Zone" style theme that gets bogged down by a lot of extra unnecessary stuff.

Rare White Ape
June 15th, 2022, 01:11 AM
PSA:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? is available on Disney+

Go watch it. Now.

Or tomorrow...

That is all.

JoshInKC
June 15th, 2022, 03:56 AM
I watched it on there sometime in the pandemic years - Yeah, it's really great. Damn near perfect in its construction and how everything pays off. Plus, it's very funny.

sandydandy
June 15th, 2022, 05:50 AM
Watched the M Night Shaymalan movie "Old"....meh...not surprising coming from him. Once again, a good "Twilight Zone" style theme that gets bogged down by a lot of extra unnecessary stuff. He's been hit or miss over the years. I'd say mostly miss in recent years.

I watched the Lost Daughter, Maggie Gyllenhaal's directorial debut. It was terrible. Well acted I suppose, but the story itself led to nowhere. Rotten Tomatoes 94% critics, 49% audience. I don't know what the critics were smoking.

MR2 Fan
June 16th, 2022, 09:15 AM
I think M. Night Shaymalan would work better in a directing/writing duo with someone else...by himself he does too many odd things. He has good concepts, but the execution isn't great.

Something like him and Jordan Peele working on a project together would be interesting

Dicknose
June 16th, 2022, 04:04 PM
Watched Interceptor the Matthew Reilly movie. I've enjoyed a few of his books but they are almost too big action for movies. This was something he wrote as a movie and then managed to get to direct it. Reviews and IMDB ratings are poor.
It was ok.

A few plot holes, some quite cheesy lines and acting. Interesting to see Elsa Pataky (aka Mrs Thor) in it, hadn't actually seen her before. Obviously made in Oz, mostly Australian actors (including the US president)

Wouldn't spend money on it (other than Netflix subscription) but was worth 90 mins if you have nothing better to watch.

sandydandy
June 17th, 2022, 05:57 AM
Obi-wan continues to be nothing short of awesome!

sandydandy
June 19th, 2022, 11:56 AM
I watched Long Weekend. It was quite good. A little predictable, but still very decent.

speedpimp
June 20th, 2022, 04:12 PM
Started watching The Old Man. Holy shit is this good. Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow at their best. On Hulu and FX.

JSGeneral
June 21st, 2022, 01:08 PM
This new documentary releases on HBO this week and I will definitely be watching it soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kxUOKqSxNs

Their Chernobyl mini-series was so terrifyingly informative and well done, that I feel I owe it to myself to learn more about this event from horrifying real footage.

Tom Servo
June 21st, 2022, 01:24 PM
Oooh, I'm always a sucker for documentaries on Chernobyl.

JoeW
June 21st, 2022, 05:31 PM
Will watch also!

I watched the new Netflix one about 3 Mile Island and the whole time I’m like pffft, this shit is nothing compared to Chernobyl.

sandydandy
June 23rd, 2022, 12:37 PM
Finally watched Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

I found it underwhelming. I won't say I'm done with MCU, because the TV shows have kept my interest going, but aside from Spider-Man the films in this current phase have not really been to my liking. I think I'm going to skip Thor: Love and Thunder. The trailers look nothing short of stupid to me. Too much comedy. I am really looking forward to the second Black Panther, and the eventual arrival of Dr. Doom.

While Professor X was totally wasted in this movie, the X-Men Animated Series music was a nice touch when he was introduced.

speedpimp
June 25th, 2022, 04:22 PM
DSATMV is a Sam Raimi joint,. me brux, so queues and Easter Eggs are de rigueur for anything he touches.

sandydandy
July 4th, 2022, 08:51 AM
Watched Synchronic. A little tough and frustrating to get into at the beginning, cause I couldn't really understand WTF was happening. Once it got going then holy crap it was quite awesome. Great mind twisting thriller.

sandydandy
July 9th, 2022, 07:13 PM
Watching Vice’s Dark Side of the 90’s. Still on the first season. Really great stuff. The Grunge and Seattle Sound episode is the best one so far by a mile. Love the intro music in each episode combining grunge and g-funk. It’s epic.

MR2 Fan
July 9th, 2022, 11:12 PM
The Orville S3 Episode that came out this week "Twice in a Lifetime"....another great episode this season. I have thoughts, but difficult to pinpoint them right now for a spoiler tag discussion

MR2 Fan
July 10th, 2022, 06:17 PM
Watched Thor:Love and Thunder...really enjoyed it, but apparently I love almost everything MCU related, so...yeah. Note a lot of the movie is quite silly but I'm fully onboard with that.

Yobbo NZ
July 10th, 2022, 06:41 PM
Not sure I want to go back 443 pages to check, but we've started watching The Boys. Loving it so far.
Brilliant anti super hero program. I'm liking their take on, whether on purpose, of similar to Marvel/DC characters.

sandydandy
July 11th, 2022, 07:24 AM
Better Call Saul continues tonight! I'm pumped.

Kchrpm
July 11th, 2022, 07:41 AM
Thor: Love & Thunder was fun and funny, but didn't have the same impact/shock to the system as Ragnarok because it didn't have the tonal shift.

dodint
July 11th, 2022, 08:35 AM
The trailer for that was pretty bad. It came off as "I'm really bored and you should be bored with me." I thought it was some kind of viral parody at first.

sandydandy
July 11th, 2022, 06:19 PM
Better Call Saul continues tonight! I'm pumped. Incredible episode. Just unbelievable.

Damn they didn’t waste any time wrapping up Lalo’s storyline. This probably wraps up Gus and Mike’s storylines as well, unless Tuco and the cousins come back, which is highly unlikely.

Still five episodes left, I wonder how much story is left to tell to wrap up Jimmy and Kim. Plus there’s still the flash forward story of Gene and the mystery guy who recognized him.

Cam
July 12th, 2022, 01:46 PM
Lightyear. I enjoyed it, but it was kind of bleak for a continuation of the Toy Story series. There is a lot of stuff in there that kids would not understand.

JSGeneral
July 13th, 2022, 03:07 AM
Started watching The Old Man. Holy shit is this good. Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow at their best. On Hulu and FX.

This comment needs more attention. I've only watched the first episode so far, but it is spot on.

JoeW
July 13th, 2022, 05:52 PM
New season of What we do in the shadows is out. And it’s still good :)

Tom Servo
July 13th, 2022, 06:30 PM
Woot, I haven't watched yet, but am happy to hear that it's still good!

Looking forward to being able to watch when the in-laws head out.

MR2 Fan
July 14th, 2022, 04:16 PM
Rob Zombie's The Munsters trailer .....................uhmmmmmmmmmmmmm :twitch::twitch::twitch::twitch::twitch::twitch::t witch::twitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw5T0V3_hlU

dodint
July 15th, 2022, 06:30 AM
Yeah....saw this at another board and the poster asked 'who is this for?'

sandydandy
July 15th, 2022, 07:13 AM
Started rewatching Beverly Hills, 90210. I can't believe how much I forgot. Still on the first season and going through it slowly. Honestly the acting and dialogue is a bit cringe in the early episodes, but I remember it getting considerably better. Very compressed writing and storytelling compared to today's standards.

I skipped around a bit to the second season, (which I think is the best one), to a couple of my favorite episodes. I really liked the one where Scott accidentally shoots himself and David is left to deal with the aftermath. The whole dynamic of David and Scott was interesting, how they were the best of friends while both being geeks/nerds at the beginning. David networked hard to expand his friend circle while Scott stayed socially awkward, resulting in them drifting apart. Spot on how things work in the real world. People change as their life situations improve and those left behind are usually resentful. We all know someone like Scott, and maybe you are that person.

I knew a guy who I was very good friends with in high school, and we even hung out for many years after while in post-secondary. Then I got married and had kids and moved on with life and he sorta stayed where he was. He was going to university and had his own place for a while, but eventually abandoned both. Last I heard he was back living at home in his parent's basement and getting some sort of social assistance, (welfare or compensation of some kind), and living life day to day without any real ambition. I slowly let him go over the years because we just didn't have much in common anymore. Haven't spoken to him since 2005 or so, (except through short and largely stupid messages in social media). I don't feel bad, not even for a second. Life goes on.

speedpimp
July 18th, 2022, 04:01 PM
The Munsters hits Netflix in September. It looks like a mixed bag of WTF.

Leon
July 18th, 2022, 11:58 PM
Started rewatching Beverly Hills, 90210. I can't believe how much I forgot. Still on the first season and going through it slowly. Honestly the acting and dialogue is a bit cringe in the early episodes, but I remember it getting considerably better. Very compressed writing and storytelling compared to today's standards.

Did you hear about the 90210 drinking game?
You each pick a character, and each time they change costume, or moralise, you have to take a drink.
Pretty much if you chose Brandon, you'd be in a coma by the first ad break, once he was doing some directing of the show.

sandydandy
July 19th, 2022, 07:20 AM
Hah, should try that game. Just got through the first season and the acting is not the greatest. In the final episode the Walshes are set to move back to Minneapolis and during the send off party Jim has an abrupt change of heart and decides to stay, which is preposterous. The wooden reactions to his decision are not much better. Some of these actors had very limited range in their abilities, but it’s forgivable since we know they all get better as the show progresses.

Now onto season two, which as I stated before is the best one IMO. You could make a case for the third season too.

Also watched the next episode of Better Call Saul. Good stuff. Four episodes left!

MR2 Fan
July 23rd, 2022, 05:13 PM
Avengers: The Kang Dynasty, in theaters May 2, 2025.

Avengers: Secret Wars, in theaters November 7, 2025.

TWO Avengers films in 1 year :eek:

SportWagon
August 1st, 2022, 12:15 PM
Wow. You realize you might be watching a nostalgia sitcom too faithfully when you notice that, on The Andy Griffith Show the surname of Gomer Pyle's cousin (and effective replacement) Goober was not initially Pyle, but his name was changed to be Goober Pyle in later episodes of the show. (In these days of web and Wikipedia, you can actually confirm it...)

dodint
August 1st, 2022, 12:56 PM
We went and saw Jurassic World: Again.
It wasn't as terrible as I thought it was going to be based on the reviews. But they really could have done it a service by deleting about a half hour of run time. This would easily be done by:

Cutting the whole side trip to Malta.
Aside from saving the baby raptor at the end, Pratt and Howard served no function for the entire middle of the movie. Their roles could have been reduced to cameos and gave more room for the Jurassic Park returning characters to breathe.

At least this one had something new, dinosaurs running around globally. That said, there were a few moments where it was giving a Godzilla franchise vibe, and I don't mean that in a flattering way.

Either way, please be done. I know they can do dinos in space or whatever but, just, don't.

sandydandy
August 1st, 2022, 01:49 PM
Looking forward to more Better Call Saul tonight!

In the meantime I watched the Desperate Hour. I only watched because of Naomi Watts, who used to be hot but is now old and wrinkled like a prune. She's only six years older than me but hasn't aged very well. The movie itself is forgettable. Largely predictable, and somewhat preposterous the way it ends.

George
August 1st, 2022, 02:18 PM
^ Let us know how you're doing in six years. :lol:

Leon
August 1st, 2022, 02:27 PM
re-watching Parks and Rec. So good.

JoeW
August 1st, 2022, 04:55 PM
Parks and Rec my fave.

Cam
August 1st, 2022, 08:09 PM
The Boys. Jeez, they turned up the shock and awe. I am engaged.

sandydandy
August 2nd, 2022, 05:32 AM
^ Let us know how you're doing in six years. :lol: When I'm 53 hopefully I don't look 63.

Fiat500
August 6th, 2022, 08:03 AM
Naomi Watts, who used to be hot

Her knees,
Once so sharp and killer,
Are now wrinkled,
And in need of filler.

Kchrpm
August 6th, 2022, 02:14 PM
The ILM documentary on Disney+. I knew they had influenced so much of modern movie making, but some of the revelations of things that did or were adjacent to were shocking. The money that Lucas made from Star Wars and invested in ILM really changed almost everything in content creation.

JoshInKC
August 6th, 2022, 04:47 PM
Watched the new Predator movie,Prey on hulu last night. Very fun, the best and most entertaining one since the first with Arnold. The lead, Amber Midthunder (Kerry on Legion) is great, and I hope they make a sequel with her.
I will say that imo the actual predator kinda sucks compared to ones from the earlier movies just from a 'looking cool' angle. I just think they look cooler with the metal helmets I guess.

sandydandy
August 9th, 2022, 10:38 AM
Better Call Saul's penultimate episode aired last night and was simply outstanding! Next week is the finale and I am over the moon. Something tells me it'll be on the level of Felina, maybe beyond.

Can't wait!

JoeW
August 13th, 2022, 08:09 AM
Sandman on Netflix is quite good.

Rare White Ape
August 13th, 2022, 03:43 PM
The ILM documentary on Disney+. I knew they had influenced so much of modern movie making, but some of the revelations of things that did or were adjacent to were shocking. The money that Lucas made from Star Wars and invested in ILM really changed almost everything in content creation.

Yep, changed the whole film industry. Pretty much resurrected the entire thing from the stagnated mire it was in at the time.

JoeW
August 13th, 2022, 06:56 PM
It doesn’t enamor me to Lucas very much.

neanderthal
August 13th, 2022, 09:09 PM
I started watching Yellowstone again because I watched a youtube video of Beth Dutton's best scenes.

That show is really good.

sandydandy
August 15th, 2022, 06:50 AM
Better Call Saul finale tonight!

(I think I'm the only one who cares)

*shrug*

speedpimp
August 15th, 2022, 03:17 PM
I'll watch it tomorrow night, me bruv, other things have taken priority.

I checked out Day Shift(vampire movie with Jamie Foxx and Snoop). Great fun movie.

sandydandy
August 15th, 2022, 08:37 PM
It was a great ending, me bruv.

Later this year I’m going to rewatch this entire series from beginning to end.

It was so good, especially this final season.

I am sad that the Breaking Bad universe has now officially come to an end.

Tom Servo
August 15th, 2022, 10:05 PM
Just never forget: Elaine Benes dated both Walter White and Saul Goodman on Seinfeld.

Cam
August 16th, 2022, 07:12 AM
Everything, Everywhere, All The Time. What a wonderfully wacky movie. Some of the humour is just so out there. Overall, I enjoyed it, but I thought there were some hokey bits. I think you'll either like it or hate it.

George
August 16th, 2022, 07:41 AM
I accidentally stumbled upon Bridge Of Spies. Wow. What a surprise. I don't remember hearing about it when it was new. It's free (with commercials) on Amazon Prime in the USA right now.

Excellent movie.

dodint
August 16th, 2022, 07:44 AM
It's underrated, yeah. I believe I saw that one in theaters.

speedpimp
August 16th, 2022, 03:27 PM
Just never forget: Elaine Benes dated both Walter White and Saul Goodman on Seinfeld.

Also Walter and Newman tripped the Dance Dance Revolution light fantastic on Malcolm in the Middle.

speedpimp
August 16th, 2022, 03:30 PM
It was a great ending, me bruv.

Later this year I’m going to rewatch this entire series from beginning to end.

It was so good, especially this final season.

I am sad that the Breaking Bad universe has now officially come to an end.

At least they went out on a high note, bruv.

George, that is Free Vee(IMDBTV with a new name). They have some interesting stuff.

George
August 16th, 2022, 03:58 PM
^ Oh? I'll have to check that out. Thanks s'pimp. I like free services like Roku and Pluto, even with commercials.

The movie started on the AMC channel, and I wasn't even looking for a movie at the time; I wanted to see if the local stations had interrupted regular afternoon TV (Judge Judy, Jerry Springer, etc.) with weather reports since it seemed like the flash flooding they forecast in the morning was upon us in a big way by then. Instead I saw the beginning of the movie when the TV started on AMC and it reeled me in like a fish. After a few of AMC's notoriously frequent and long commercial breaks, I searched for the movie on the TV's Home screen and it came up on Amazon (I thought). It still had commercials, but at least I could pause it along the way.

But, get this: when it got to a commercial break at one point, I watched them all (they have a handy countdown timer as to when the movie will resume) and then paused the movie as soon as it restarted because I knew I had to leave for a while and wanted to get the commercials over with. When I came back an hour or more later, it made me watch them again before I could continue! :angry: Seems to me I had already "paid" for the next segment.

It reminded me of YouTube, which seems to be showing more and more commercials every day and it also will make me watch commercials again if I pause after watching them with the same thought process: "when I come back, it'll be ready to go!"

I know, I know: First World Problems.

George
August 17th, 2022, 09:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzNN8YaGqjk

JoeW
August 17th, 2022, 05:07 PM
Reservation Dogs season 2 is amazing. Still killing it.

sandydandy
August 18th, 2022, 06:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzNN8YaGqjk I love it!

Watched Basic Instinct last night for probably the 20th time. Just for the hell of it. I like to watch it every few years or so. The idea was to get me refamiliarized so I can watch Basic Instinct 2 right after, which I'd been avoiding like the plague. Went over to Prime Video to start the sequel, but decided to check out the trailer first and was instantly put off. I still kinda want to watch it...but also kinda don't. The urgency has diminished greatly after seeing the trailer.

JoeW
August 23rd, 2022, 04:23 AM
New GoT is good.

sandydandy
August 23rd, 2022, 05:57 AM
New GoT is good. I totally forgot about it. I'll wait for a few episodes to pass before starting it.

Dicknose
August 23rd, 2022, 04:11 PM
Something something dragons!

Actually holding off till Im back home and watch it with the family.
Although maybe I should pre-watch so I can explain what's happening!

JoeW
August 23rd, 2022, 04:21 PM
Well don’t show it to any younger family members. It continues the tradition of adult content.

Dicknose
August 23rd, 2022, 08:55 PM
Well don’t show it to any younger family members. It continues the tradition of adult content.

Im the youngest in the family!!!

Leon
August 23rd, 2022, 09:43 PM
Only Murders in the Building, series two finished. Niiiiice.

Phil_SS
August 24th, 2022, 08:48 AM
The Bear

Really great story drama about the restaurant business. Really well shot, gritty as fuck. 30 minute episodes so it packs a lot into a short timespan, which is breath of fresh air after watching the sprawling episodes that have become common place with todays series (I'm looking at you Stranger Things).

Stranger Things

I really liked portions of Season 4, but I feel it has jumped the shark with the final part of the final episode. Eddie was awesome, sad to see he will not be a recurring character. The acting was good to great but the story is just, it's gotten too much after the season finale episode. Still love the vibe, the music, it still touches my 80's heart but it just fell flat at the end for me.

speedpimp
August 26th, 2022, 12:00 PM
Only Murders in the Building, series two finished. Niiiiice.

Great season. Can' wait for S. 3.

Just started Mo on Netflix. It's tied into the series Ramy(which is excellent).

sandydandy
September 5th, 2022, 12:47 PM
Watched Clara last night on Prime. Pretty good and engrossing movie. Sort of had Interstellar vibes to it, but without the space travel. Starring Patrick J. Adams who was Mike Ross on Suits. He stars opposite his real life wife, (who also appeared on Suits for two episodes I believe).

speedpimp
September 5th, 2022, 03:42 PM
Started up S. 1 of Sprung(people get released early from prison due to COVID and end up living with Martha Plimpton) and S. 2 of Kevin Can Go Fuck Himself(part is shot like a sitcom and the other part is shot like a regular drama).

I watched the first two episodes of LOTR:Rings of Power and it was ookay. It can only get better.

MR2 Fan
September 5th, 2022, 07:30 PM
I watched the first two episodes of LOTR:Rings of Power and it was ookay. It can only get better.

Same, more for curiosity than anything...it's fine so far.

speedpimp
September 6th, 2022, 02:35 PM
That third episode was great, especially the end battle.

George
September 6th, 2022, 05:57 PM
The Bear

Really great story drama about the restaurant business.

This looks good. Have to have a Hulu subscription though, right? Too bad. I'll see it someday, maybe. Never thought I'd be nostalgic about the restaurant business but it still interests me.

Dicknose
September 6th, 2022, 09:07 PM
Same, more for curiosity than anything...it's fine so far.

Only seen ep1, its ok. Nothing grabbing me. I can see they are trying to make some characters likeable, but none are grabbing me.
I know its a tough comparison but I can't get over how great GoT ep1 was, lots of characters but you got a great sense of the show, had characters that you liked (who didn't love Arya from ep1), heck they even got you to like a character and try to kill them off (out of the tall tower!)

This opening ep felt ho hum. Ill give it a couple more, but contrasting ice with green grass isn't enough.

JoeW
September 7th, 2022, 12:09 PM
Omg the latest WWDITS episode had me rolling.

They are at the bar talking about the failed acts they have tried to increase attendance since the Baby Colin Robinson got big.

Nadja mentions a improvisational comedy troupe that came through.

Troupe…”ok give us a scenario…”

Vampire crowd yelling…”suck each other’s dicks!”

Troupe…shocked look on their faces

Nadja…”vampires don’t do improvisation”

Troupe…”we were thinking more of giving us a location”

Vampire crowd…”suck each other’s dicks in outer space!”

Comedy gold. You really need to watch it to appreciate it :)

sandydandy
September 11th, 2022, 07:39 PM
Finally watched Thor: Love and Thunder. I loved it. I was initially turned off by the trailers because I thought it would be nothing but comedy throughout, but that’s not the case. It was a good mixture of everything including heart.

This is one of the better movies of Phase 4, IMO.

The inclusion of Zeus was great, and I’m especially looking forward to a future Thor vs Hercules showdown. I know from the comics that Herc is destined to join the Avengers. It’ll be great.

I also loved the inclusion of Eternity, the abstract cosmic demigod. Only true cosmic fanboys like myself really know who he is. I hope we see more of him, (as well as Infinity), in the next Guardians movie, as in the comics he’s heavily associated with Adam Warlock, and that next movie should be centered around him.

JoeW
September 13th, 2022, 03:19 PM
I also enjoyed it.

A lot of people shit on Morbius and Moonfall but I was pleasantly entertained by both. I am the dregs of humanity.

George
September 14th, 2022, 11:34 AM
I watched the first episode of Better Call Saul last night on a whim after seeing it on Netflix. Not bad.

I haven't seen much Breaking Bad but it doesn't look like I need to know that show to enjoy this one.

Kchrpm
September 14th, 2022, 12:25 PM
I am the dregs of humanity.

One of us, one of us...

SportWagon
September 17th, 2022, 01:20 PM
SportWagon, that was subtle. I wish I had picked up on it. Despite living in NC for a long time, where some folks are obsessed with The Andy Griffith Show as some of us are with Star Trek, I never became all that interested in it and missed the hint you dropped.The retro channel showing of Andy Griffith went back to the very first 1960 season. B&W, of course.

Andy's accent was stronger, and he had a tendency to get as involved in silliness as everyone else. Almost like having Goober for Sheriff.

But in the episode yesterday, #13, "Mayberry Goes Hollywood", Andy seemed to be evolving into his "voice of reason" role. The day before I saw the only episode where Floyd the Barber was played by Walter Baldwin instead of Howard McNear.

My Three Sons is in its first season too, also 1960. The humour is at times almost dark, with lots of conflict between the main characters, as opposed to later when some main character would have an adventure largely outside the family circle. And a Chevrolet Corvair drives behind the closing credits.

sandydandy
September 17th, 2022, 03:41 PM
Watched End of the Road with Queen Latifah and Ludacris. Hands down the worst movie I’ve seen this year. Started out good enough, but got worse as it went on. Almost to the point of insulting. Some of the scenes were just downright preposterous. I’d recommend skipping this one.

George
September 19th, 2022, 11:43 AM
The retro channel showing of Andy Griffith went back to the very first 1960 season. B&W, of course.

Andy's accent was stronger, and he had a tendency to get as involved in silliness as everyone else. Almost like having Goober for Sheriff.

Ever heard this story? Andy's accent is very strong as he plays the country bumpkin describing something he's never seen before. It's funny and well worth the time to listen, IMO. He sounds like some of my wife's extended family in North Carolina with words like "raft" and "tote" and "I don't know what-all."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxLxTZHKM8

I saw this years ago on Turner Classic Movies. It's Andy acting like a simple country boy to the public but he has a darker side when he's not on stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lrmxkF-UKM

Trivia: The southern rock band Drive-By Truckers have a song called "Made Up English Oceans" that contains the line "like gunless sheriffs caught on lonesome roads and lived to tell it." We all know Andy Griffith was a sheriff who didn't carry a gun. His character in A Face In The Crowd is called Lonesome Rhodes.

Coincidence? Maybe.

The day before I saw the only episode where Floyd the Barber was played by Walter Baldwin instead of Howard McNear.

More trivia: Howard McNear played Doc Adams on the radio version of Gunsmoke from 1952 to 1961. All the surviving episodes (hundreds of them) are available for free at www.archive.org.

George
September 19th, 2022, 11:48 AM
Better Call Saul finale tonight!

(I think I'm the only one who cares)

*shrug*

I'm on episode 8. What a show! Episode 6 (Mike's backstory) was the best so far. I was practically exhausted when it was over. I love the direction and camera work, such as Mike getting up and walking away from the camera into the night. He takes another step and suddenly, without breaking stride, he's walking at night in another city and another time.

One of the things that keeps me coming back is that I have no idea what or who the next episode will be about or even when and where it will take place.

MR2 Fan
September 19th, 2022, 01:01 PM
House of the Dragon Episode 5...shit's getting real.

Also watched the classic "12 Angry Men" which...if anyone somehow doesn't know, is a jury room drama from the 1950's. I enjoyed it for what it is and I'm sure for when it came out it was a unique look into court case drama, but since then we've had tons of courtroom and law shows that it doesn't feel quite as unique. On the other hand, I appreciated the straightforward nature of it.

If it was remade today (shudder) I'm sure there would be lots of flashbacks of the various jurors and how those things affected their opinions now and lots of melodrama along with it. It does tackle some of the same things we deal with today, the defendant being one of "those other" people in the slums though not really identified by ethnicity which I think was a good thing other than guessing by how he looks in the 5 seconds he is on screen.

sandydandy
September 19th, 2022, 01:37 PM
I'm on episode 8. What a show! Episode 6 (Mike's backstory) was the best so far. I was practically exhausted when it was over. I love the direction and camera work, such as Mike getting up and walking away from the camera into the night. He takes another step and suddenly, without breaking stride, he's walking at night in another city and another time.

One of the things that keeps me coming back is that I have no idea what or who the next episode will be about or even when and where it will take place. Glad you're loving it! It only gets better as the seasons progress. Jonathan Banks actually got an Emmy nomination for his performance in that episode. Overall it's an excellent series.

House of the Dragon Episode 5...shit's getting real. Shit I'm missing out! Oh well. My plan is to binge watch it after the first season is done.

Yobbo NZ
September 19th, 2022, 03:36 PM
Cobra Kai series 5, Mike Barnes returns and Chozen is on fire 🤣

speedpimp
September 21st, 2022, 05:14 PM
George, I love Andy's "Football" and "Soda Pop" bits. "A Face In The Crowd" is a great movie and lets you see him in a new light. Just like how "The Intruder" helped me see William Shatner in a new light.

JoeW
September 25th, 2022, 11:15 AM
Still enjoying Rings of Power and GoT.

Still watching She Hulk although I must admit it’s not as good as I had originally hoped. Misadventures of really strong green SWF lawyer is new working title for me.

2ndMoparMan
September 25th, 2022, 02:56 PM
Still enjoying Rings of Power and GoT.

Still watching She Hulk although I must admit it’s not as good as I had originally hoped. Misadventures of really strong green SWF lawyer is new working title for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L2h4YJczlg
Perhaps this will improve your viewing.

sandydandy
September 25th, 2022, 03:21 PM
I plan to get started on She-Hulk soon. Also have to watch Moon Knight.

Tom Servo
September 25th, 2022, 05:31 PM
I'm a huge Tatiana Maslany fan after Orphan Black, but I've been told that unless I have solid knowledge of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I probably won't get much out of She-Hulk.

MR2 Fan
September 25th, 2022, 08:12 PM
I'm a huge Tatiana Maslany fan after Orphan Black, but I've been told that unless I have solid knowledge of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I probably won't get much out of She-Hulk.

Honestly, even with that you might not get much out of it (at least so far). It's not a bad show, but it's kinda average...a lot different than what I expected.