PDA

View Full Version : What are you watching?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

overpowered
July 15th, 2014, 02:16 PM
I remember Carter pronouncing it that way. I also remember Dubya pronouncing it that way.

Leon
July 15th, 2014, 02:47 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2654620/?ref_=nv_sr_1

"The Strain"

First episode. Looks like it could be massive vampire infestation sort of TV series. Looks like it could be quite ruthless.

speedpimp
July 15th, 2014, 02:51 PM
The Bridge started its second season last week and its off to another good start. I've been watching Tyrant too, it's definitely not The Bridge but its an interesting watch.

JoshInKC
July 15th, 2014, 03:54 PM
I loved the first season of The Bridge and am looking forward to starting the new season as soon as the wife and I have some time.
Similarly, the new season of Utopia- a british show I really liked started its new season yesterday. Highly recommended if you're either in the UK or comfortable with using less than legal means to find it other places.

Freude am Fahren
July 15th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Why does everyone on 24 pronounce "nuclear" as "nucular"? It's seriously annoying.

I asked the same question last week on facebook. It's annoying as fuck.

Freude am Fahren
July 15th, 2014, 04:37 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2654620/?ref_=nv_sr_1

"The Strain"

First episode. Looks like it could be massive vampire infestation sort of TV series. Looks like it could be quite ruthless.

I was trying to figure out just what it is, desease at first, then it appeared vampire, now I think it could be demon/devil uprising through infection. I'm kinda intrigued. I'm going to have to give it a watch.

Leon
July 19th, 2014, 12:06 AM
Just marathon watched the first series of Utopia.

Jeeeeeeesus, that's one ruthless series. Don't know how the hell I didn't hear about this!

Drama / Thriller. Highly recommend, easily 9/10 on my scale

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2384811/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Welcome to Sweden. Watched first 1.5 episodes. Unwatchably dull. Stopped during episode 2, deleted.

You're the Worst. Late night sitcom, pretty rude. Loved it. This was only the first episode, can't wait for more.

Freude am Fahren
July 27th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Is this our upcoming movie thread too?

New Mad Max trailer is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akX3Is3qBpw

tigeraid
July 28th, 2014, 06:27 AM
That looks epic. And apparently the movie is CGI-free. So it should be great.

sandydandy
July 28th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Watched the Transformers animated movie of the 80's a couple of days ago. A nice blast from the past. I had been watching the Transformers series on Netflix for a while before that. It was amazing how easily Decepticons killed Autobots in the movie. Two seasons of just fighting then boom, ruthless killing. Megatron and co. wiped out Brawn, Prowl, Ratchet, and Ironhide like it was nothing. What a slaughter!

"Such heroic nonsense", before Megatron blows Ironhide's head off with his cannon. Such a badass and memorable line.

Anyway, started watching the third season now. I have that on DVDs...paid a little too much for the set about five years ago.

I wish I could get my hands on some classic G1 toys, but they're going for a fortune on Ebay and Amazon. I only had Soundwave and Ramjet back in the day.

thesameguy
July 28th, 2014, 02:22 PM
I was seriously bummed about how easily Transformers were dying in the movie. It seemed unnecessary.

Of course, it is Michael Bay we're talking about...

sandydandy
July 28th, 2014, 02:41 PM
I was actually talking about the cartoon movie from 1986.

George
July 28th, 2014, 02:45 PM
They're remaking Mad Max? I don't know whether to be thrilled or sad. I wonder if Mel Gibson will get a cameo or something.

I also just heard there's a new Planet Of The Apes movie out. Yeah, I'm pretty out of touch with what goes on in popular culture. I rarely if ever watch TV other than the Weather Channel's "Local on the 8s" and when I'm in the car I always have an audio book on instead of the radio. On the bike I got nuthin'.

We get the Sunday paper but I'm so busy with the kids and stuff around the house on weekends that whenever I ask my wife if she's seen the paper, it's Tuesday or Wednesday and the paper is in the recycling bin already.

I loved the original five Planet Of The Apes movies (still own the set on VHS) and will make a point of seeing the new one...in a few years when it's on Saturday afternoon cable TV. That's probably when I'll get to see Mad Max too - while folding laundry on a weekend and turning on the TV to have something to keep my mind occupied. I see a lot of "new to me" movies that way.

thesameguy
July 28th, 2014, 02:59 PM
I was actually talking about the cartoon movie from 1986.

I know, but it was a sticking point for me in the Bay movies.

It made sense in the Hasbro movie - because they were phasing out old toys. Heh. :)

Phil_SS
July 28th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Watched the Transformers animated movie of the 80's a couple of days ago. A nice blast from the past. I had been watching the Transformers series on Netflix for a while before that. It was amazing how easily Decepticons killed Autobots in the movie. Two seasons of just fighting then boom, ruthless killing. Megatron and co. wiped out Brawn, Prowl, Ratchet, and Ironhide like it was nothing. What a slaughter!

"Such heroic nonsense", before Megatron blows Ironhide's head off with his cannon. Such a badass and memorable line.

Anyway, started watching the third season now. I have that on DVDs...paid a little too much for the set about five years ago.

I wish I could get my hands on some classic G1 toys, but they're going for a fortune on Ebay and Amazon. I only had Soundwave and Ramjet back in the day.

I have a G1 Megatron in original box at my parents house. I don't even like him. I got it cause my cousin was buying toy collections in the late 90's for original Star Wars toys and he didn't want anything else. Got some sweet stuff because of it. My favorite being a MIB SDF1 with stickers still on the card. Of course my favorite Transformer was Jetfire and I kept my box for him.

I have a ton of Beast Wars stuff. That stuff I'd like to get rid of.

Freude am Fahren
July 28th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Mad Max: Fury Road, is a reboot, but it's being done by the same writer/director, so that bodes well if You liked the original(s).

overpowered
August 1st, 2014, 07:10 PM
Very annoying to have to watch new episodes of Legend of Korra online. I can't believe they expected big ratings while showing it only on Friday night and then were disappointed when it didn't get them.

speedpimp
August 13th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Went and saw Guardians Of The Galaxy today. I liked it a lot. Probably Vin Diesel's greatest performance ever.

Impreza
August 13th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Probably Vin Diesel's greatest performance ever.

Blasphemy!
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-30964-I-got-nothing-but-time-gif-Vin-iupa.gif
:lol:

Alan P
August 13th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Hmmm, watched episode 1 of Longmire. Not bad. Will probably watch the rest.

speedpimp
August 13th, 2014, 03:26 PM
If you like Longmire then give Justified and Banshee a shot.

Leon
August 13th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Utopia, still loving it.

Just when you thought they had calmed down a bit, suddenly new killing spree!

"Partners" elevator music TV show. Ho hum. It's the Garfield of sitcoms. Lawyer version of The Odd Couple.

You're the Worst. Still awesome at four shows into the season, but because it's edgy, it means it will probably be cancelled after one season, sigh. Or it will turn into mundane rom com.

JoshInKC
August 13th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Utopia, still loving it.

Just when you thought they had calmed down a bit, suddenly new killing spree!

Yeah, Utopia is batsh*t in the best possible way. It also has some of the best visuals, framing, and music in current television.

Leon
August 13th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Yup, I am recommending it to all my friends and making them watch it.

speedpimp
August 14th, 2014, 01:57 PM
You're the Worst. Still awesome at four shows into the season, but because it's edgy, it means it will probably be cancelled after one season, sigh. Or it will turn into mundane rom com.

I love YTW. The ending of the "Gay Slur" episode was fucking hilarious.

George
August 16th, 2014, 05:02 AM
Was cleaning up some stuff in the basement last night and needed some background noise to keep me company, so I put in a DVD of Star Trek and watched an episode I haven't seen in many years.

I nominate the epsiode "The Menagerie: Part 1" as one of the best science fiction stories ever. Oh, there's nothing wrong with Part 2, but Part 1 has the magic. It's simply perfect.

sandydandy
August 16th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Started watching 'The Killing'...a murder mystery drama. Halfway through the first season and it's very good. Moves at a good pace and holds your interest, as it's quite absorbing.

overpowered
August 23rd, 2014, 10:48 PM

JSGeneral
August 27th, 2014, 04:13 AM
Went and saw Guardians Of The Galaxy today. I liked it a lot...

Chris Pratt in space. :up:

I just watched this last night. Amazingly well done movie for a relatively unknown Marvel book. Excellent acting... good use of humor as well as drama. They were able to tell a crazy story about a crazy comic book in a crazy section of the galaxy without it seeming too crazy. When I heard that they were making this film... I thought that there was no way that they were going to be able to show on screen a realistic version of Rocket (a walking, talking "raccoon") let alone have him shown in many scenes. They blew those expectations out of the water! Rocket is a leading character, and is realistic as hell. The audience is able to connect and identify as much with the human actors on screen as with the CGI characters. Also, the 3D really adds to the movie... (if you're into that kind of thing).

I can't recommend this movie enough. If you've enjoyed any of the Marvel movies, you should definitely check this one out. It is fun.

Also, speedpimp makes a good point about Vin. Near the end of the movie, there's a line that Groot (Vin) delivers that gave a vibe that seemed like something Dominic would of felt.

:up:

speedpimp
August 27th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Did you stay until the end of the credits, JS?

sandydandy
August 27th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Saw a JFK documentary last night: NOVA Cold Case JFK. Father and son team of ballistics experts take a shot (no pun intended) at cracking the Kennedy assassination. Very interesting.

In short...Results of the original investigation hold up in terms of there only being one shooter, and the single bullet theory holds up very well. Very astonishing and convincing evidence that is testable and provable.

Only thing that baffles everyone is why Oswald did it...was he put up to it by the Russians/mob/CIA, and why did Ruby kill him? We'll likely never know the answers to those questions.

JSGeneral
August 28th, 2014, 04:15 AM
Did you stay until the end of the credits, JS?

I always do for Marvel movies. :)

overpowered
September 3rd, 2014, 08:25 PM
http://direimpulse.deviantart.com/art/Old-Zuko-478135140

Old Zuko:

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2014/239/0/9/old_zuko_by_direimpulse-d7wo3fo.jpg

JoshInKC
September 4th, 2014, 04:47 AM
Just finished watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars on netflix. I've got a friend who has been telling me I need to check it out for like 4 years, and I'd been resisting due to feeling burned by the prequels. Turned out to be pretty great, and actually makes the movies seem better. After watching it, you actually give a sh!t about about all the Jedi who die in RotS because they aren't just cool/weird looking, they're actual characters. Also, CGI Anakin is a much better actor than Hayden Christensen.
Now in the middle of Bojack Horseman - It's pretty good.

mk
September 13th, 2014, 08:13 AM
The Wire reruns.

Quite sure some parts are recut but couldn't find the info.

sandydandy
September 13th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Started watching 'The Killing'...a murder mystery drama. Halfway through the first season and it's very good. Moves at a good pace and holds your interest, as it's quite absorbing. Just finished watching this and loved all four seasons. I thought it was a really gritty, intense, and engrossing crime drama. I highly recommend it. First three seasons were on AMC, and the fourth season was Netflix exclusive, where they were given permission to drop f-bombs left and right.

Freude am Fahren
September 13th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Finally started watching Legit. It's great. Too bad it got cancelled already.

speedpimp
September 13th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Jim Jefferies has a stand-up special called "Bare" where he talks a little bit about Legit. Really solid set.

Freude am Fahren
September 13th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I actually watched that the other day and thought, "I should finally get around to watching Legit" :up:

overpowered
September 22nd, 2014, 11:46 PM
Scorpion seems like it might have some potential.

Alan P
September 23rd, 2014, 05:38 PM
I quite enjoyed it too but they can't just have 'Oh no! Drama!' every week. Like most series they'll need to have some sort of long running story that climaxes at the end of the season.

Any ratings released yet?

Freude am Fahren
September 23rd, 2014, 06:42 PM
I was looking forward to it, but I have a hard time with suspending disbelief to that extent. If they tone down the ridiculousness, it would have potential.

The whole plane/458 scene pissed me off. Why?

-Speed differential too great: Let's use a car that will need to be at it's limit just to keep up with the plane for all of 7 seconds. Not the multitude of planes sitting on the ground where they could fly next to it for as long as they need.
-Wireless not reliable enough, so lets waste half of our allotted time trying to hook up a cable.
-You can get into the wing wheel well from the fuselage? (Admittedly, maybe you can with a crawl space, but I doubt it).
-"Well pass the runway in only 7 seconds!" Actually lasts nearly a minute.
most of all?
-the 458 has a clutch pedal and paddles!!!!

Reminded me a lot of the final scene in F&F6.

overpowered
September 23rd, 2014, 07:11 PM
I noticed those things too but I let them go. It helped to be having a margarita while I was watching it.

It's going to take a 458 a while to get to top speed (200+mph) and an airport runway that's not long enough for that plane to land is probably not especially long anyway. It probably couldn't get all the way to 200+mph before you'd have to start braking to keep from going past the runway. I can't find a 0-200mph number on it but I did find a 0-180mph of 23.3 seconds.

I also didn't get why software prevented them from landing the plane. Even with those big planes, I'm pretty sure it's possible for the pilots to land without navigation software provided they have good visibility, which they had in the episode. They had also cleared the airport area of all other air traffic to avoid collision issues.

I haven't made up my mind yet on it. Like I said, I think it might have some potential. I'll give it a few episodes and decide if I'll keep watching it.

overpowered
September 26th, 2014, 09:58 PM
October 3rd:

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/korra-book-4-trailer-89471257.html

KillerB
September 27th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Just re watched The Sopranos for the first time since it ended in 2007. With the benefit of age and having seen it before, I appreciated it so much more this time around. I still have to say it's the best show I've ever seen. Breaking Bad was more tightly plotted, but the way these characters interact still feels so real to me.

It's crazy to think that the show could be underrated at this point, but I really think it is.

DavidJones
September 28th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Recently discovered GOT. Still have 2 seasons to catch up on :p

Mr Wonder
September 29th, 2014, 07:27 AM
So the new TV season is upon us.

Sons of Anarchy - Three episodes in and it's just so fucking stupidly written that it's just ridiculous. I'll finish it off but I'm really not sure I'll enjoy it, or what that says about me.
Blacklist - Started strong, it still has niggly issues here and there, Spader still outclasses everyone. Business as usual then.
Agents of Shield - Straight into the action with what looks like a decent budget and some interesting additions to the cast. Looking forward to seeing how this all pans out, and how it ties in with the MCU in general.

Movie wise;

Transformers AoE - Utter dog egg of a film. Even after putting the racism and misogyny aside it's an incoherent mess laced with bad acting, implausible scenarios (I realise it's an action film, but they're normally improbable which is still plausible) and just generally a really horrific take on everything these characters originally stood for. Even in the other Bay films. Do not waste nearly three hours of you life on this abomination.

Edge of Tomorrow - Brilliantly executed film that takes an original idea and really runs it through its paces. The ramifications of some of the characters actions were clever, if sometimes a touch predictable, and the two leading cast members do an outstanding job.

Sin City 2 - Really badly executed sequel. None of the charm or substance of the original, they even managed to ruin the impact of colour that was so potent in the original. Cringe worthy dialogue and haphazard pacing do it no favours either. Eva Green is stunning though.

Freude am Fahren
September 29th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Transformers AoE - Utter dog egg of a film. Even after putting the racism and misogyny aside it's an incoherent mess laced with bad acting, implausible scenarios (I realise it's an action film, but they're normally improbable which is still plausible) and just generally a really horrific take on everything these characters originally stood for. Even in the other Bay films. Do not waste nearly three hours of you life on this abomination.

So Par for the course then :up: :lol:

Really want to see Edge of Tomorrow.

Just finished catching up with Blacklist. Had been wanting to watch it all year, glad I did. Spader is excellent.

Spader neuter your pets.

JoshInKC
September 29th, 2014, 03:44 PM
I was really impressed with Edge of Tomorrow, one of the best things about it was...
That sequence at the beginning where cruise keeps dying. Not only because it was funny, shocking, and well-shot, but also because it was weird and unexpected to see Tom Cruise being bad at stuff. Haven't seen that on film in like 25 years.

neanderthal
September 29th, 2014, 05:08 PM
The Equaliser. Nice. AMC tickets at Costco, 2 for $16.99 and I only had to pay the $5 surcharge for IMAX. Well worth it.

I binged on Orange Is The New Black and now i'm going through House Of Cards.

Alan P
September 29th, 2014, 06:08 PM
I really liked EoT because it didn't automatically try to explain everything and allowed the viewer to actually work out and understand what's happening. At most you saw him screw up two or three times like when he got squished by the truck. Many films try too hard but this was just right.

Gotham is doing OK for me, Blacklist season 2 started very well indeed but, as usual, everyone is acted off the screen by Spader. Without him it would have been cancelled within half a dozen episodes. Scorpion has 'Cancelled!' written all over it but was mildly diverting. We'll see what the second episode says. NCIS was, as usual, good. Marvel's AoS started well also. NCIS:NO was alright too. BBT was good, third episode wasn't so good though.

Alan P
September 30th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Quite surprised to see Scorpion hitting 3rd place behind BBT and The Voice last week. Ep. 2 was better IMO. We'll see what happens.

Blerpa
October 1st, 2014, 10:07 AM
Transformers Age of Extinction: score of 0 out of whatever. ZERO. Badly directed, badly shot, badly acted, with bad dialogues, with a bad screenplay, with fugly badly choreographed fights, with ugly new robot designs.
An utter piss and pig manure and how to waste 210M dollars. Even the new autobots are ugly, retarded and downright annoyingly despiseful. Yes, Optimus Prime too.
2h 45min of SHIT. Worst movie I've ever seen. Really takes the spot from the likes of Suckerpunch, Expandables 2, Napoleon Dynamite and obviously the 3 previous Transformers movies. Heck, even Battleship is better!

Silicon Valley: LAME. Retarded obsolete subtly racist humour with the usual unlikeable asocial dork nerd rised to be everyone hero. Fuck, I wanted them dead by the end of the first season. Still better than Transformers AoE by a continent.
And the only interesting character won't be anymore in the show because the actor died during production (R.I.P.).

speedpimp
October 1st, 2014, 12:40 PM
Bojack Horseman is worth a look. It's stars Will Arnett as a talking horse who was a sitcom star in the 90s. Very funny and some very funny sight gags.

JoshInKC
October 1st, 2014, 02:59 PM
And the only interesting character won't be anymore in the show because the actor died during production (R.I.P.).
I thought the Silicon Valley was decently funny, and I think you're supposed to want the entire industry and region napalmed by the end of the season.
I will absolutely agree with you on that final point, though. Christopher Evan Welch was spectacular- Even doing absolutely nothing in a scene, he completly owned the screen. His death was a serious bummer.

Jason
October 1st, 2014, 04:06 PM
I enjoyed Gotham, and will likely continue to enjoy Gotham as long as they stick with the 90% Gordon/GCPD/Mob story vs 10% kids. If they start making it Batman Smallville and focus on Bruce and Selina's teenage adventures, then I'm gonna be pissed for wasting my time.

Freude am Fahren
October 1st, 2014, 06:46 PM
Someone at work was wearing an Aviato shirt today.

overpowered
October 1st, 2014, 08:31 PM
I haven't seen this in a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxQcBKUPm8o

Leon
October 3rd, 2014, 11:06 AM
Scrotal Recall.

Bad name, but it's actually a Brit comedy.

Pilot came out yesterday. Do recommend so far based on that one episode :)

Blerpa
October 5th, 2014, 08:10 AM
The Lego Movie - EVERYTHING IS AWESOME.

Kick-Ass 2 - lame. Didn't add much more to the story. I laughed 3 times during the whole movie. I look forward to Chloe Grace Moritz getting more hot roles in the future when of major age.

speedpimp
October 5th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Apparently she was part of The Fappening.

sandydandy
October 6th, 2014, 05:35 AM
Homeland season 4 started last night. I'll wait until December when the season is done to watch them all. The pace and momentum of the show is at such a high level that I can't watch it week-to-week. I'd go nuts. Need to watch 4-5 episodes in one sitting.

I'll try to avoid spoilers as much as humanly possible over the next 3 months.

overpowered
October 8th, 2014, 04:21 PM
They're bringing Ray Palmer into Arrow but he's not going to be the Atom, at least not on Arrow; maybe on Flash. :|

Jason
October 9th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Watched the first episode of Flash... it has one thing going for it over Arrow, already, and that's a main actor with emotional range. Other than that, it's probably going to be the typical CW superhero fare... more about personal drama than about the good fight.

GB
October 9th, 2014, 12:09 PM
1: Re-watching The Walking Dead before the Season Premiere: Season 2 was really phenomenal.

2: Twisty the Clown in American Horror Story: Freak Show is the most disturbingly awesome thing I've seen in a long, long time.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/94be578f1de4fe172c71c130389ce622/tumblr_nd6kpkEIqs1tkwayro1_250.gif

Freude am Fahren
October 10th, 2014, 03:32 PM
First thing I thought of was Sweet Tooth from Twisted Metal.

speedpimp
October 11th, 2014, 05:50 PM
And Twisty gets even more awesome when you learn that he is played by the guy who was Drew Carey's cross dressing brother/Mimi's fuck puppet on TDCS.

novicius
October 14th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Re Captain America and Marvel....

So I just saw Chris Evans contract with Marvel, and Sebastian Stan's... Evans is "only" contracted for six movies. Cap 1-3 and Avengers 1-3. Sebastian Stan, though, is contracted for 9 movies. So, one might make the assumption that Rogers is going to die at some point, and Barnes takes over as Captain America. Which is a story that happened in the comics. That being said, if that's the case... Stan is going to be in quite a few movies as Captain America, or as a guest in other movies before that turn.

OR maybe Stan was just cheap to buy, so they contracted him for a lot of movies for maximum story flexibility and the whole Rogers death thing isn't going to happen.

Civil War is definitely going to happen, too many unique characters are being introduced (The Winter Soldier, Agent 13, Crossbones, return of HYDRA, murmuring of Red Skull coming back) to not have it happen. It's coming and considering how bad they're hyping ULTRON as the big threat, I'll bet that a major plot line of Avengers 2 is going to be the start of Civil War. RDJ's send-off will come at the expense of his likeability; when Stark-as-Hero returns, it'll eventually be with someone else (and cheaper), I'm sure Marvel is not shedding any tears over that. I think it's coming that soon -- and who better to direct it than Whedon?? :lol:

Time will tell how big of an uproar people will have with Chris Evans out from behind the Stars and Stripes...
Robert Downey Jr.'s In Captain America 3. And It's to Start Civil War (http://io9.com/robert-downey-jr-may-set-up-civil-war-in-captain-ameri-1645993876?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow)

We may finally know what Robert Downey Jr. was talking about when he said that there he was working on a deal with Marvel to do something that wasn't Iron Man 4. According to Variety, Downey's in the final stages of negotiations that'll bring Tony Stark in to Captain America 3 and begin the movies' take on Civil War.
:popcorn:

Freude am Fahren
October 14th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Saw Edge of Tomorrow. Yup, it was certainly excellent.

Also, Emily Blunt is really, really, ridiculously good looking.

Yw-slayer
October 14th, 2014, 08:58 PM
[Comic Book Guy]But Civil War came out BEFORE Age of Ultron. WORST. *Something*. EVER.[/Comic Book Guy]

overpowered
October 15th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Liked seeing wacky races on South Park.

SportWagon
October 16th, 2014, 05:57 AM
I bought the DVDs of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacky_Races a longish time ago, but haven't got around to breaking the shrink-wrap yet.

Mr Wonder
October 16th, 2014, 07:58 AM
I believe a final season should be the very best of everything the series has offered up in the previous seasons. Sons of Anarchy is living up to that by conjuring up ever more outlandish responses to preposterous situations precipitated by increasingly shitty writing. It's almost exquisite just how badly written this show is.

Agents of Shield - Still fantastic. Some interesting developments, and most open up some really intriguing possibilities. A slower episode than usual but Clark Gregg is fantastic as Coulson, and holy hell is that fifty year old chick hot...
Blacklist - Still business as usual. Still solid. Spader still acting circles around his colleagues. Diego Klattenhoff still desperately wants to be both a badass and a legitimate actor. Fails spectacularly at both.

Movies.
22 Jump Street - Not as endearing as the first with much more in the way of predictability and much less in the way of genuinely funny gags.
Tammy - Kinda funny, kinda crazy. Worth it to watch Susan Sarandon whore it up.
Chef - Really great warm, fuzzy feel good story. Well told and magnificently acted by all involved. Fun.
Jack Ryan:Shadow Recruit - Mildly interesting take on the classic spy genre. Pine and Costner are great, Branagh less so, however why Keira Knightley was cast when there are approximately 160 million people on the planet who could actually do an American accent and probably a better job of the acting I will never know. Worth a look. Maybe.

novicius
October 16th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Agents of Shield - Still fantastic. Some interesting developments, and most open up some really intriguing possibilities. A slower episode than usual but Clark Gregg is fantastic as Coulson, and holy hell is that fifty year old chick hot...
Yup, AoS Season 2 really feels like they've nailed the Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier look and feel. The CGI work has been tightened up so far and the rest of the sets look good, too.

Also I derive much joy in watching Ming-Na Wen perform her weekly stuntwerk. :D :up: #shecanrobmycradleanytime

tigeraid
October 16th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Jesus Christ but she is fantastic for a 50 year old woman, no? She'll always be my Chun Li.

tigeraid
October 16th, 2014, 01:13 PM
I mean.... holy shit...

http://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/10665140_830657590288050_2877926793450157994_n.jpg ?oh=bb4b584cf1ca1cc2907d44db5f6c0ed1&oe=54B0CE86&__gda__=1420530016_395d200dc6fa140e8d1cc2071f37684 d

overpowered
October 16th, 2014, 02:03 PM
It's hard to believe that she's only one day younger than me.

sandydandy
October 28th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Last night I watched what has to be the sickest, most grotesque, and disturbing 'horror' film of all time. The Human Centipede. It was vile. It might make you sick just reading this...imagine how it was for me watching it. I had just finished consuming five slices of Domino's Pizza, and felt my stomach turning. It was revolting.

Long story short...set in Germany, a crazy ass doctor who specializes in separating siamese twins, decides to experiment the other way. He kidnaps three people, two girls and one guy. In an effort to create one digestive tract between them, sews the three together, mouth-to-anus. The guy was in the front. You can probably guess how the two girls got fed. "Swallow it bitch", the good doctor screamed.

At the end of it I was thoroughly grossed out, so what did I do? Watched the sequel. Hahaha...only this time I read the spoilers first, then sped through it to the very few scenes that I actually wanted to see.

speedpimp
October 29th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Dear Zachary. It will come close to ripping your fucking heart out.

overpowered
November 1st, 2014, 07:35 PM
Foo Fighters: Sonic Highways

Leon
November 1st, 2014, 11:56 PM
Human Universe.

I have *such* a nerd mancrush on the presenter.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2207118/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

MR2 Fan
November 25th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Jurassic World trailer is out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SILeO8m7uvU

First impressions: CG looks...not as impressive as I expected after 20+ years of progress since the first movie. Looks like a bit of a re-telling of the first movie with a bit of a twist....but Chris Pratt's character working WITH Raptors at the end??? WTF?

Anyway, this trailer was supposed to come out on Thanksgiving (Thursday), but a certain Episode VII trailer is coming out on Friday...so good move to push this one up a few days.

MR2 Fan
November 28th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Star Wars Episode VII trailer is out now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE

Freude am Fahren
November 28th, 2014, 10:54 AM
The X-Wings were pretty cool over the water.

I just hope Abrams calms down a bit on the Lens Flare and Camera Shake.

Also that hilt on the light saber? Dumb. Way to cut your hand off at the wrist when you start doing signature light saber twirls. I guess it's okay though, as he seems to just be hunting wildlings north of the wall.

overpowered
November 28th, 2014, 12:23 PM
More specifically, the cross-guard.

Freude am Fahren
November 28th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I guess that's what I meant. I'm no sword expert.

Phil_SS
November 29th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Call me crazy but I'm certifiably giddy.

speedpimp
November 29th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Lucha Underground.

overpowered
November 29th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Still liking the Legend of Korra, now in its 4th and final season.

Apparently there's a large fan fiction thing with this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=korrasami

I don't see it happening in the actual show.

tigeraid
November 30th, 2014, 06:25 AM
I dunno... They take minor risks with a lot of characters on that show, it sure would be nice to see them go out with a straight-up "oh btw the lead character was a lesbian this whole time and it's cool" angle.

There's a blog or a tumblr or something dedicated to showing all the little ways they already "proved" it. For example, when they're finally reunited this season, they showed a bunch of still frames of when she hugs Mako, and it looks all stiff and friendzone-ish, and then when she hugs Asami there tits touch or something.

I think it might just be a combination of people with too much time on their hands, and animators who want it to be true. :popcorn:

overpowered
December 2nd, 2014, 04:07 PM
Skip to 3:15 for Stephen Colbert's explanation of the cross-guard issue.

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/umsrnb/lightsaber-controversy

overpowered
December 2nd, 2014, 07:58 PM
One other thing about the Legend of Korra: Zaheer, voiced by Henry Rollins, is one of the greatest villains in cartoon history.

overpowered
December 5th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Hmm. Star Wars. Terminator. Jurassic.

What year is it again?

Leon
December 5th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Z Nation

Terrible, but also good.

Impreza
December 6th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Also that hilt on the light saber? Dumb. Way to cut your hand off at the wrist when you start doing signature light saber twirls. I guess it's okay though, as he seems to just be hunting wildlings north of the wall.

Might be a useful aspect when your father's trying to cut your hand off.

Freude am Fahren
December 6th, 2014, 03:38 PM
It all goes to whether or not the light part goes all the way into the "cross" and intersects.

With all of the "controversy" about this, I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a scene addressing it, at least in the bonus features :lol:

Impreza
December 6th, 2014, 08:13 PM
I was just about to type out a response about how it would likely be just one primary crystal with three focusing crystals.... then I thought "No, that would just sound way too geeky, even for me". :|

Kchrpm
December 9th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I'm watching this movie trailer. Maybe you should too?

I don't know what it is, but I like the sets...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdelLJ8g22c

speedpimp
December 9th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Oh look they remade "Earthquake".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMO20a8TdaI

Alan P
December 9th, 2014, 03:59 PM
And 2012. And Deep impact. And every other Disaster movie of recent years.

MR2 Fan
December 10th, 2014, 10:48 AM
am I the only one who thought San Andreas might be a GTA movie after hearing the name?

lostnight
December 10th, 2014, 05:28 PM
No, I wondered that also.

overpowered
December 10th, 2014, 10:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNWi-ZWL3c

Leon
December 10th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Damn. Not watching anything right now, EZTV and Piratebay both down

speedpimp
December 11th, 2014, 04:00 AM
Watched the series finale of "Sons Of Anarchy".
On the bright side, at least it was better than the end of "Dexter".
On the not so bright side, worst fucking symbolism ever.
And Sutter manages to get every main character from "The Shield" on "SOA".

Alan P
December 16th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Watched Ep 1 of Ascension. Not bad. Tricia helfer helps but I really didn't like what they did at the end. Would have been so much better to..
plant little seeds throughout the episodes so the smarter audience members would have been able to work it out themselves. They've almost spoiled it IMO

overpowered
December 16th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Mockingjay part 1 was decent.

overpowered
December 17th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Liked Battle of the Five Armies

JoshInKC
December 17th, 2014, 06:40 PM
I liked some parts of it, but overall felt it was pretty uneven.
My favorite part was any scene with Thranduil - Partway through the film I realized that the only expressions he had were based entirely around sexual intensity. Seriously- talking to his son, dwarves, humans, buildings, his elk, whatever... They are all getting hardcore F*ck-eyes. It's pretty great and weird.
I also enjoyed Galadriel throwing down the walls and laying bare the pits of Dol Guldur.
On the whole it felt kind of weird and out-of-pacing. I totally lost track of what might have been going on during the battle and the other characters during Thorin's fight with Azog. We also got nearly zero footage of Beorn, which was odd considering how much they built up his personal hatred of Azog.It seems like there must be a huge amount of scenes on the cutting room floor, what with most of the dwarves having 0-1 lines of dialogue.

overpowered
December 17th, 2014, 07:31 PM
It's Jackson. There will be an extended edition.

I kind of agree about Thranduil, but I didn't really like him all that much in the book either.

JoshInKC
December 17th, 2014, 08:24 PM
It's Jackson. There will be an extended edition.

I kind of agree about Thranduil, but I didn't really like him all that much in the book either.
RE extended edition : I'm sure there will be, and I'll but it the same as I have with the past five films. I'm guessing it'll probably be better paced.
I don't think you're actually supposed to like Thranduil, he's a weird crazy egomaniac.

overpowered
December 18th, 2014, 10:01 PM
I dunno... They take minor risks with a lot of characters on that show, it sure would be nice to see them go out with a straight-up "oh btw the lead character was a lesbian this whole time and it's cool" angle.OK. So they sort of implied it at the end, though there is some room for interpretation.

Freude am Fahren
December 20th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Just finished the first season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Pretty damn good. I love the whole Marvel universe thing they are doing. I'm not a comic book person, or even that into the genre of superheroes and such on film, but the scope of this whole thing really impresses me. And AoS had some huge production quality. TV is getting better and better at that, but mostly in Cable. This is the best I've seen on a Network. Writing was really good at times too. Looking forward to watching Season 2 on my DVR.

MR2 Fan
December 22nd, 2014, 02:42 AM
Watched The Battle of the Five Armies....was good. I didn't read the book, so I can only go by Jackson's interpretation.

It must be difficult for him as filmmaker to have more epic battle scenes like in the LOTR movies and try to make them unique...and I think it was only partially successful. There's only so many surprise-hero-you-forgot-about moments you can put together.

I think the Galadriel scene was the best part of the movie.

sandydandy
December 24th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Watched 'White Irish Drinkers' a few nights ago. It was alright. Bit of a bizarre ending.

Last night went to the movies and saw 'Exodus: Gods and Kings'. Knew very little about it going in. Didn't watch any trailers or anything. Just knew it had something to do with ancient Egypt and Pharaohs and shit, which has always been a subject of great interest for me. The movie was an entertaining and educational look at the history of the Hebrew people. I wouldn't have the first clue though about its historical accuracy. Some of the 'God' parts were kinda funny. As was the fact that I sat through the entire film thinking I was watching John Cusack portraying Ramesses II.

Alan P
December 24th, 2014, 02:27 PM
The Hobbit Battle 5 armies and stuff. Only really new thing was the Dwarves at war which was quite cool. Other than that it felt like the movie was something that could easily have been covered in two movies quite easily but of course that's not the key to making money is it?

overpowered
December 24th, 2014, 04:07 PM
So the previews for The Interview looked like it would be awful.

IMDB currently has 93.4% of users giving it 10/10 stars. That's a number that seems a bit on the implausible side.

Still not planning to see it. May try watching it when it comes out on HBO or whatever.

Alan P
December 24th, 2014, 04:42 PM
I, er, 'found' a copy. It's really not very good. I maybe laughed a little bit twice but to call it a comedy is a bit of a stretch. I just don't seem tog et on with Seth Rogen's comedies anymore. It doesn't paint NK in a great light but TBH it's more satire and comedy rather than a mock documentary. 4.5/10. I certainly wouldn't feel I got my money's worth if I went to the cinema to see it. Chances are more will go and see it now.

Leon
December 24th, 2014, 07:56 PM
"Tusk" movie

Possibly the worst movie I have seen in my life. I want my time back.

MR2 Fan
December 25th, 2014, 07:29 AM
So a director creates an amazing trilogy of films, with a new special effects shop, utilizing some lots of physical sets....several years later makes a prequel trilogy with nearly entirely CG effects and generally considered not as good as the original trilogy.

speedpimp
December 25th, 2014, 08:58 AM
"Tusk" movie

Possibly the worst movie I have seen in my life. I want my time back.

Part of Kevin Smith's "True North Trilogy", the other movies are "Yoga Hosers"(starring his daughter) and "Moose Jaws"(Jaws with a moose).

Leon
December 25th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Oh boy, am I not watching either of the other two of that trilogy until *after* I have checked IMDB to see if the entire first page of reviews aren't 1* and call it terrible. That movie was completely unfunny, unscary, and just full of utterly tedious monologues.

Phil_SS
December 25th, 2014, 12:10 PM
I've been addicted to Arrow. I'm currently at Episode 3 of season two. Thoroughly enjoying it.

Leon
December 27th, 2014, 10:38 AM
watching the first episode of Grey's Anatomy again.

Still a great show, hard to believe that this show is over ten years old.

FaultyMario
December 27th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Bruno's diarrhea has interrupted our Homeland S4 marathon. Rescuebots it is.

speedpimp
December 27th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Doctor Who Xmas Special with Nick Frost as Santa. Pretty good.

Jason
December 27th, 2014, 06:16 PM
I've been addicted to Arrow. I'm currently at Episode 3 of season two. Thoroughly enjoying it.
Ugh. That show's wooden actors just kill it for me.

I like Flash though. :up:

Leon
December 29th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Top Gear Patagonia special

Great scenery.

Disappointing finish.

overpowered
December 30th, 2014, 06:00 AM
Are they ever going to start doing actual shows again?

Kchrpm
December 30th, 2014, 06:28 AM
Yes, they released a teaser for Season 22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO3K0B3kLZs

Leon
December 30th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Are they ever going to start doing actual shows again?

Yup, they just have a bit of a Christmas Special thing, then a short actual season, because funding.

JSGeneral
December 30th, 2014, 12:08 PM
I like Flash though. :up:

:up: I do too. Surprisingly well done, a decent story arc throughout (so far) and a great touch to include the actors from the 90's version of the show as characters. The special effects are MUCH better than I expected for a TV show...

... then again my expectations might of been set pretty low because I watched (and enjoyed) the 90's TV show. :)

overpowered
January 1st, 2015, 09:22 AM
IMDB currently has 93.4% of users giving it 10/10 stars. That's a number that seems a bit on the implausible side.The 10's are down to 49%. It didn't get a whole lot of 10's after I posted that.

I suspect some funny business was going on with those early votes.

A scalper bought up a bunch of tickets before Sony announced that they would release online:

http://deadline.com/2014/12/the-interview-scalping-plan-backfires-man-wants-his-650-back-1201337622/

Alan P
January 1st, 2015, 03:25 PM
Cinema should tell him to bugger off. He screwed up.

speedpimp
January 1st, 2015, 03:45 PM
Watching Wolf Of Wall Street. This is really good. Jonah Hill is awesome.

Fiat500
January 4th, 2015, 10:39 PM
The quaalude fight scene was awesome. :up:

overpowered
January 5th, 2015, 01:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeDACz-C8fM

sandydandy
January 5th, 2015, 05:35 AM
Watching Wolf Of Wall Street. This is really good. Jonah Hill is awesome. Absolutely! He steals the show, IMO. He's like a young Joe Pesci. I heard he only pulled in $60K for that role, which is a travesty, but he really badly wanted the role.

I thought DiCaprio's performance was also top-notch. He's progressed far beyond being the annoying kid with bangs in Titanic.

overpowered
January 8th, 2015, 05:19 PM
Finally saw Kick-Ass and Kick-Ass 2. Very good movies. Some of the scenes where Moretz was fighting looked like they were really her so I looked it up and apparently she did a lot of training and some of them were her, though she apparently had 3 different stunt doubles for the others, 2 of which were guys.

Also, now I understand the meme with the blonde girl, Nick Cage and the gun.

Freude am Fahren
January 9th, 2015, 04:20 PM
I love Neill Blomkamp's stuff. (Just make the damn Halo movie already!) Looking forward to his next movie, Chappie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyy7y0QOK-0

overpowered
January 10th, 2015, 12:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rV87Um09Jw

overpowered
January 22nd, 2015, 08:20 PM
I've been working my way through a re-watch of the Sopranos. I hadn't seen it since it was originally on the air. I'm up to season 5, episode 11, "The Test Dream". I hate dream episodes.

KillerB
January 22nd, 2015, 08:39 PM
I did the same thing a few months back. I enjoyed it even more this time around.

Yw-slayer
January 22nd, 2015, 10:26 PM
Both Need for Speed and Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist were better than I expected them to be. The latter in particular.

JoshInKC
January 23rd, 2015, 04:07 AM
The wife and I have been watching our way through Person of Interest. For a show about a nerd, his computer, and a martial arts-performing robot*, it's a really good program with some suprising depth and big ideas.

*Not actaully a martial arts robot. Jim Caviezel just spends pretty much the whole first season doing this lack-of-affect thing where he acts a little roboty.

speedpimp
January 24th, 2015, 06:01 PM
The Interview is on Netflix. Watched it. It's shit.

overpowered
January 24th, 2015, 06:13 PM
The previews made it look like shit, so I'm not surprised.

Freude am Fahren
January 25th, 2015, 06:40 AM
It was okay. I wasn't expecting The Great Escape meets Frotsy Nixon. I was expecting a Seth Rogen/James Franco movie. Fun way to waste a couple hours with a couple laugh out loud moments. I got what I expected.

Leon
January 25th, 2015, 11:48 PM
it was quite rubbish, but not awful.

Watching "Galavant", a medieval comedy musical TV series.

MR2 Fan
January 30th, 2015, 12:02 PM
I finally saw the Top Gear Patagonia special....quite crazy what happened down there.

Kchrpm
January 30th, 2015, 12:15 PM
I couldn't watch that past them "accidentally" taking their sports cars off road on a shortcut.

pl8ster
January 30th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I want to like TG but just like most other series shows on TV, it's just gotten too scripted. Though I have to admit, that caravan episode quite a few seasons back had to be ridiculously scripted, and I still laughed my ass off when they lit everything on fire.

Just did another Dexter run-through, about to finish off Parenthood, still working on White Collar.

MR2 Fan
January 30th, 2015, 02:16 PM
I couldn't watch that past them "accidentally" taking their sports cars off road on a shortcut.

Well yeah, but its the un-scripted (as far as I can tell) rioting and getting rocks thrown at the production cars as they try to leave the country

Leon
January 30th, 2015, 03:30 PM
I'm struggling with Top Gear so far this season (specials and one episode). Just hasn't really pushed my buttons. The first actual episode of the season was so utterly generic, that it could have been basically any episode from the last five years. Also another "gimmicky" Star in a Reasonably Priced Car driver, pretty weak. Putting a completely non car guy in there just seems a bit weak.

overpowered
January 31st, 2015, 08:34 PM
Finished my rewatch of the Sopranos. I'm amazed at how much I had forgotten. Some things came as total surprises.

I totally forgot that Tony killed Chris. That sucked.

I also forgot about FBI agent Harris giving Tony tips on Phil and getting all elated when he hears that Phil was dead and yelling: "We're gonna win this thing!" It was funny in a really fucked up sort of way.

George
February 2nd, 2015, 09:37 AM
One nice thing of not keeping up with every available tidbit of planetary news is that I had no idea another Terminator movie was being made until my jaw dropped open when I saw this ad during the Super Bowl.

I can't wait to see this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4zhBQfqVCc&x-yt-cl=85114404&x-yt-ts=1422579428&feature=player_embedded

overpowered
February 2nd, 2015, 01:46 PM
T-800's got grey hair and wrinkles?

speedpimp
February 2nd, 2015, 02:09 PM
Finishing up season one of Broadchurch.

Leon
February 2nd, 2015, 09:21 PM
Watched the second episode of this season of Top Gear.

Far better than the first episode, and the Patagonia special :)

overpowered
February 2nd, 2015, 10:13 PM
I'm pretty sure that Hammond's crashes were staged. In the previous bike-boat-car-transit race, Hammond demonstrated bike handling skills such that he seems unlikely to let himself get nailed by a train track like that. That's pretty basic road commuter skills.

Yw-slayer
February 2nd, 2015, 10:20 PM
Top Gear staging stuff? OMG OMG ORLY??!!!!!

overpowered
February 3rd, 2015, 12:22 AM
Somebody piss in your corn flakes this morning?

Yw-slayer
February 3rd, 2015, 01:28 AM
:rolleyes:

sandydandy
February 3rd, 2015, 08:05 AM
I watched 'King Of New York' last night. Being a big fan of Notorious BIG growing up, I heard the name of Frank White a lot, as Biggie idolized the character. I was curious to know what he was all about. Christopher Walken played the character masterfully. Cold blooded gangster with style and panache, who could dance too. He was like a mixture of Tony Montana and Michael Corleone.

Only disappointment of the film was Laurence Fishburne's character...he was so annoying, unlike any other character I'd ever seen him play. Fishburne was one of my favourite actors of that era, (see Boyz N The Hood).

Kchrpm
February 4th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Death Battle series on YouTube.

Kchrpm
February 5th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Just watched Jupiter Ascending. After many failed attempts, the Wachowskis finally made a movie I didn't enjoy.

MR2 Fan
February 6th, 2015, 03:16 PM
So, um...Battlebots is coming back. Great, except it's being called a "reality" series this time...ugh

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/6/7993095/battlebots-reboot-abc-summer

Let's hope they don't f- it up

speedpimp
February 7th, 2015, 03:25 PM
The Americans, It's Always Sunny... and Justified. All three shows are off to a good start with their new seasons.

Freude am Fahren
February 7th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Why is The Americans not on any streaming? Shouldn't it be on Netflix or Hulu by now? I hear good things.

speedpimp
February 7th, 2015, 04:38 PM
It's streaming on Amazon. If you have Amazon Prime it's free.

JoshInKC
February 7th, 2015, 04:39 PM
It's on amazon prime instant, if you've got that.

Alan P
February 7th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Bosch is coming to Amazon prime (and all the usual nautically themed outlets) in the next few days. I loved the pilot so will be watching.

overpowered
February 7th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Why is The Americans not on any streaming? Shouldn't it be on Netflix or Hulu by now? I hear good things.I use HBO Go and Amazon Prime.

I prefer to watch stuff on the DVR. If you like to back up, pause, slow-mo and fast forward through stuff, streaming can be frustrating.

Freude am Fahren
February 7th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Duh, I have Prime, and could have sworn I checked it! Thanks, I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

speedpimp
February 9th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Watching the first episode of Better Call Saul. So far, s'all good, man.

overpowered
February 9th, 2015, 07:25 PM
It was quite good. It was slow in some places but there were some real payoffs.

It was fun to see that he actually ended up at a Cinnabon.

The ending was definitely an "OH SHIT!" moment. Standard Vince Gilligan.

mk
February 10th, 2015, 12:27 AM
True Detective (s1) was good.

overpowered
February 10th, 2015, 12:43 AM
Second episode not quite as strong, but still good. Awaiting next episode with anticipation.

speedpimp
February 10th, 2015, 04:58 PM
I thought the second ep. was just as good.

Cam
February 14th, 2015, 06:10 PM
Kingsman, WTF? I wasn't expecting a black comedy. :lol: Pretty cool and the cheesy bits were easy enough to overlook.

sandydandy
February 14th, 2015, 06:21 PM
I saw 'Nymphomaniac Volume I & II' the other night. All I have to say is...wow. Don't know how that movie got onto Netflix. Deserves an X-rating.

speedpimp
February 14th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Did you watch the unrated versions? If not, those are on Netflix as well.

George
February 14th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Three things, from a guy who seldom has time to watch anything more than The Weather Channel to catch "Local On The 8s"...

In between kids' bedtime and my falling asleep at the end of another long day, I saw about 20 minutes of an old favorite on Turner Classic Movies last night. If they've made a better movie than "From Here To Eternity", I haven't seen it. As good? Yes. But better? No. Haven't seen it yet? Go find it and watch it. You won't be sorry.

Tonight is the 40th Anniversary episode of Saturday Night Live. I don't watch it much these days but my wife and I are looking forward to this one and seeing who shows up.

For fans of the original Star Trek series, the fourth episode of Star Trek Continues is scheduled to debut at some sci-fi convention in May. Of course here in the 21st century, that means the episode will also be available online as well, or very soon thereafter. Star Trek Continues is a fan-made internet series done by professional actors and others in the industry, so it's not a total amateur effort. James Doohan's son plays Scotty. They start by re-enacting the last couple of minutes of the last episode, which first aired in 1969, and continue from there as if the series never ended. They really nail the feel of the original series, including the cheesiness, at times. If you don't like ST, don't bother, but if you know and love the original 1960s series, you will be amazed at the accuracy of the first three episodes. The fourth should be just as good.

www.startrekcontinues.com

Sad, little man
February 14th, 2015, 07:48 PM
I saw 'Nymphomaniac Volume I & II' the other night. All I have to say is...wow. Don't know how that movie got onto Netflix. Deserves an X-rating.
Yeah, it kinda cracks me up how the 50 shades movie is getting all this press when Nymphomanic had (what I assume to be) way more sexual content, including BDSM.

Kchrpm
February 14th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Kingsman, WTF? I wasn't expecting a black comedy. :lol: Pretty cool and the cheesy bits were easy enough to overlook.

I thought it was an excellent movie (for entertainment's sake). I didn't know until afterwards that it was the same writer/director combo as Kick-Ass, that would have clued me in more to the tone and action of the movie.

sandydandy
February 15th, 2015, 09:25 AM
Did you watch the unrated versions? If not, those are on Netflix as well. I think the rating was NC-17.

Yeah, it kinda cracks me up how the 50 shades movie is getting all this press when Nymphomanic had (what I assume to be) way more sexual content, including BDSM. Yeah it was crazy stuff. Several explicit scenes showing oral and vaginal penetration...though something tells me they were using prosthetic cocks.

Still, looked real enough.

Freude am Fahren
February 15th, 2015, 10:45 AM
They were real, but not the actors. They used porn stars and CGI'd them together with the actors doing it softcore somehow, or something along those lines.

sandydandy
February 15th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Whatever the case, no complaints here. :cool:

Sad, little man
February 15th, 2015, 02:36 PM
I just finished the extended director's cut. Volume 1 didn't seem to have that much added into it. I think the most shocking part was the extremely graphic depiction of the self-abortion in Volume 2. :eek: I almost couldn't watch that. And then they top it off with showing the fetus moving after the fact. :o

And seriously, people are getting all worked up over some neo-harelquin romance turned into a movie!? :lol:

speedpimp
February 15th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Funniest thing I've heard about 50 Shades was hearing someone say it was "'Secretary' for dumb people."

JoshInKC
February 15th, 2015, 04:27 PM
Funniest thing I've heard about 50 Shades was hearing someone say it was "'Secretary' for dumb people."

I was literally going to say the same thing, can't remember where I saw that comment though.

Drachen596
February 15th, 2015, 05:14 PM
i've seen that comment somewhere as well.. which likely means it was on here or facebook somewhere.

i haven't had time to watch much other than Archer and a couple other shows on comcasts online ondemand thing.

Alan P
February 15th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Bosch. Interesting so far. Only on Ep2 mind. It's on Amazon Prime video and the usual 'other' outlets.

George
February 16th, 2015, 09:29 AM
I've just started the Harry Bosch series of novels, having run out of Jack Reacher novels. I hope they do a better job of putting Bosch on film than they did Jack Reacher. They took one of the best Reacher novels and completely ruined it with 5-foot-something Tom Cruise playing six-foot-five-inch Reacher. At least the guy I've seen pictured as Bosch looks the part.

Hey, did anyone else see the 40th Anniverary SNL show on Sunday? Maybe I missed something but after all this time away from the show, did Eddie Murphy...

...simply say "I'm glad y'all liked what I did here 35 years ago" and walk away? That's all I saw of him.

Damn. He was the primary reason I wanted to see the show. I was imaginging updates to C-I-L-L My Landlord and Buckwheat and Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood and Velvet Jones and...

:thppt:

But I always expect too much..,like the Blues Brothers (with Jim Belushi or John Goodman) as the musical guests. I mean, who else?

And another :thppt:

I guess you really can't go home again.

At least G.E. Smith showed up. :up:

Leon
February 16th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Backstrom

So blackly and cynically amusing :)

Freude am Fahren
February 16th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I just started watching Backstrom on Hulu. Pretty entertaining in a completely non-politically-correct way :up:

Some of the stereotypes do get a bit obvious though.

speedpimp
February 16th, 2015, 12:52 PM
If anybody doesn't have AMC, let it be known that "Better Call Saul" is now streaming on Amazon Prime Instant.

JoshInKC
February 16th, 2015, 04:36 PM
I've just started the Harry Bosch series of novels, having run out of Jack Reacher novels. I hope they do a better job of putting Bosch on film than they did Jack Reacher. They took one of the best Reacher novels and completely ruined it with 5-foot-something Tom Cruise playing six-foot-five-inch Reacher. At least the guy I've seen pictured as Bosch looks the part.

Yeah, those Bosch novels were pretty decent. The first one is the weakest, though so if you find yourself questioning whether to read more, keep that in mind. If you do keep at them, the third (? I think, maybe 4th), The Concrete Blonde is actually flat-out great, so you've got that to look forward to.
I should probably catch up on those, I got out of the habit of that series when Connelly started alternating them with writing lawyer books. Of course that assumes I'll ever get time for recreational reading again.

Given what I think I know of your taste in fiction- if you ever need recommendations, lemme know. Cause I've read a lot right in that wheelhouse.

overpowered
February 16th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Jane Curtin: Times have changed since I first sat behind this desk. For example I used to be the only pretty blonde woman reading the fake news. Now there's a whole network devoted to that. (Fox News logo showed).

overpowered
February 18th, 2015, 12:05 AM
Not god. Grodd.

overpowered
February 19th, 2015, 11:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0XleMIKKNg

George
February 22nd, 2015, 08:39 AM
This is from 1920 - it's 95 years old, for those of you slow on math, like me,

Enjoy.

G'day Mate, take particular note of the first few minutes, which may give you some ideas for your new house.

Audiogeeks, take the time to turn on your good system, with the subwoofer. This pianist has a heavy left hand and it is very well recorded - I must assume it's a current-day piano performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR32Ths4WX0

Leon
February 22nd, 2015, 08:59 AM
Hot Shots.

A better Top Gun than Top Gun was.

speedpimp
February 22nd, 2015, 10:43 AM
Bosch. Up to episode 8. Really good.

speedpimp
February 22nd, 2015, 02:17 PM
They need to get Matthew McConaughey to guest star as Mickey Haller.

thesameguy
February 24th, 2015, 07:50 AM
Heh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5vcUPyL90

novicius
February 24th, 2015, 07:56 AM
I really like the fact that either you can accept it as-is or take it as a parody on "gritty movies". Both camps win. :up:

Freude am Fahren
February 24th, 2015, 08:53 AM
Needs more Zords!

The359
February 24th, 2015, 09:17 AM
https://vimeo.com/120401488

NSFW version of the Power Rangers movie.

overpowered
February 24th, 2015, 11:07 AM
https://vimeo.com/120401488

NSFW version of the Power Rangers movie.

"Page not found

Sorry, there is no video here.
Either it was deleted or it never existed in the first place. Such are the mysteries of the Internet."

The359
February 24th, 2015, 11:59 AM
It was apparently taken down for some reason.

overpowered
February 24th, 2015, 05:09 PM
My Tivo uses a tuning adapter to tune SDV channels, since it can't do SDV request natively. The fucking adapters sometimes glitch out and refuse to work and have to be power cycled. As a result, I missed a bunch of shows last night. Some of them were available online. I went to watch Castle (ABC) and they want you to sign in with your cable company account. Of course, I'm on Time Warner and that wasn't one of the choices:

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/abc-block-directv-twc-dish-subs-watching-tv-series-online/2014-01-02

So I missed Castle last night. Apparently I can watch it online next week. This is a show that goes over the air for free (with commercials).

overpowered
February 27th, 2015, 12:30 AM
So they're developing an Atom series:

http://collider.com/the-flash-arrow-spinoff/

JoshInKC
February 27th, 2015, 04:32 AM
Okay, so this is a weird one - I've been watching... Dawson's Creek.
Yes, the turn of the millenium WB teen soap opera that spawned a thousand Crying Dawson memes (https://www.google.com/search?q=crying+dawson&biw=1600&bih=1015&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5m3wVLPDC5KlyASev4HYCA&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QsAQ#tbm=isch&q=crying+dawson+meme).
LSS: My friend and I were doing a music-related podcast, but it was a completely unreasonable amount of time and work to do it right. We made a joke about doing a live commentary Dawson's Creek podcast called Creek of the Week, and here we are.
So once a week, he comes over, we set up the equipment, roll some dice and watch a randomly selected episode of Dawson's Creek while jabbering about how idiotic it is and how bad the sweaters are.
It's been decently fun & funny, and we've been told its the most original idea for a podcast someone had ever heard. We do have a problem though - We have no idea how to market or promote it. So, I'm caving and posting about it on the only internet community I'm actually involved in.
If any of you guys or someone you know (wives, girlfriends, etc) might be interested in either Dawson's Creek or listening to two middle-aged men make fun of it, do me a favor and pass it on.

Our website, with all the episodes: http://www.creekoftheweek.com/ (http://www.creekoftheweek.com/) Our Twitter: @TalkinDawson (https://twitter.com/talkindawson) and our most recent episode (http://www.creekoftheweek.com/2015/02/episode-9-after-hours/), in which Pacey makes some poor decisions involving Sherilyn Fenn.
Also, a link to our RSS feed (http://www.creekoftheweek.com/feed/podcast/) & itunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/creek-of-the-week/id958796103?mt=2&ls=1), in case you just want to trust me to be entertaining enough to subscribe.

Also, if you guys have any tips or ideas about how to promote something like this, let me know. 'Cause I got nothin.

speedpimp
February 27th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Finishing up Transparent on Amazon Prime. Interesting show.

overpowered
February 28th, 2015, 09:33 PM
Banshee.

Final showdown between Hood and Chayton was intense, but I kept wondering where the fuck were all the people on the street? Hood's chasing Chayton through New Orlean's french quarter during the day time with a shotgun (but doesn't shoot), then they're in some old cemetery where he shoots and misses a lot, then they're at the port of New Orleans and the part where they shot it is quite a trek from the nearest cemetery, and there's not a person in sight in any of these places besides Hood and Chayton. Meanwhile Chayton's got at least 3 stab wounds and is bleeding the whole time he's running. Hood shoots Chayton twice at close range with a 12 gauge, including blowing half his head off, which I'm not sure is technically plausible. Then Brock shows up and they push Chayton's body into the river, all in daylight, all without any screaming or sirens or anyone else there at all.

speedpimp
March 1st, 2015, 11:09 AM
New season started already?

Freude am Fahren
March 1st, 2015, 11:10 AM
FYI, House of Cards season 3 is available as of Friday.

overpowered
March 1st, 2015, 12:58 PM
New season started already?It's been going for a while. Apparently it's good that I used the spoiler tags.

speedpimp
March 1st, 2015, 01:20 PM
Nah, I clicked it. Watched the first episode On Demand.

speedpimp
March 1st, 2015, 02:32 PM
RE: Banshee
That was one hell of a fight between Nola and Proctor's dude.

overpowered
March 1st, 2015, 04:14 PM
Clay Burton

Kchrpm
March 3rd, 2015, 11:25 AM
Last Man On Earth. Very funny.

speedpimp
March 4th, 2015, 03:43 AM
Togetherness. A marriage is falling apart and the couple doesn't realize it.

overpowered
March 7th, 2015, 09:14 PM
Watching "The Last Airbender".

M. Night Shyamalan deserves at least a year in prison for making this turd and inflicting it on the world.

JoshInKC
March 8th, 2015, 06:42 AM
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on netflix is pretty good 5 episodes in.

speedpimp
March 8th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Four episodes in. Definitely has a 30 Rock feel to it.

sandydandy
March 8th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Getting ready to start the fourth season of Homeland. Can't wait.

shakes
March 9th, 2015, 06:35 AM
I'm trying to pace myself through House of Cards so I have something to watch later so I started watching Boss with Kelsey Grammer. There are a lot of similarities between the two shows but they're different enough to keep me interested.

I'm not watching it currently (hurry up Netflix Canada with more seasons) but I was quite impressed with Hannibal too. And at some point I'm going to get started with the third and fourth season's of American Horror Story.

novicius
March 9th, 2015, 11:19 AM
AHS Season 1? Very tidy, a little too saccharine, generally good times. :up:

AHS Season 2? Gore-porn and general fucked-upped-ness. :twitch:

AHS Season 3? Waste. Of. Time. :down: Watch Salem instead.

::

Finished up Community, need to finish Parks & Rec and Hannibal, otherwise working through House of Cards Season 3, Archer Season 5 -- and some Gotham & Sleepy Hollow for cheap popcorn thrills.

::

Oh and I did watch the RoboCop remake last night; sweet lord is that a posterboy for why remakes shouldn't happen. At least the Total Recall remake had some novelty to it... :smh:

tigeraid
March 9th, 2015, 11:45 AM
I cannot recommend Better Caul Saul more. Fantastic, and funny as hell, whether you've watched Breaking Bad or not.

Phil_SS
March 9th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Been powering through House of Cards after Novi gave me the lowdown. Great so far. I'm about 3 episodes into Season Two.

I also watched the new Robocop and had the same reaction as Novi. It was just there. I think they spent too much time with side/back story and not enough on Murphy kickin ass. Cause the amount of screen time for that is extremely minimal.

I saw the new Judge Dredd movie over the past few months. I thought it was really well done. That is how I imagine Dredd.

Watched the movie Chef. Pretty decent. If you like Jon Favreau you'll probably like it.

Silver Linings Playbook. Jennifer Lawrence is damn cute in this movie and Bradley Cooper does a great job of acting. Not your usual romantic comedy.

World War Z. Meh.

Star Trek into Darkness. Double Meh.

I've also been watching a bunch of Music Documentaries: Muscle Shoals, Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage, Stevie Ray Vaughn: Rise of a Texas Bluesman. Recommend them all if you are into that kind of music.

Fast As Possible
March 10th, 2015, 03:55 AM
I watched the new Bates Motel last night, no idea what's going on. I think I missed the entire second season. :lol: I watched season one.

Fast As Possible
March 10th, 2015, 03:55 AM
I cannot recommend Better Caul Saul more. Fantastic, and funny as hell, whether you've watched Breaking Bad or not.

MR2 Fan
March 10th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Top Gear news: Jeremy Clarkson suspended after having a fight with his boss....no show to air this Sunday.

Sucks...I know he's a relentless nuisance but he makes the show for me.

Edit: BTW the Ambulance episode was absolutely hilarious

speedpimp
March 10th, 2015, 01:56 PM
After watching Better Call Saul I thought "now that, children, is how you win an Emmy."

Fast As Possible
March 10th, 2015, 05:05 PM
I love the negotiation in the desert with the skaters - that's emmy material.

tigeraid
March 10th, 2015, 05:55 PM
http://38.media.tumblr.com/d4114ee77240375b004b2381e5a15e74/tumblr_njrtsw2cQk1sogfsmo1_500.gif

KillerB
March 11th, 2015, 09:19 PM
After watching Better Call Saul I thought "now that, children, is how you win an Emmy."

Rich, I was going to ask if you saw that. Holy fucking shit. They paid off the Mike Ehrmantraut story perfectly with that episode, and Jonathan Banks hit it so far out of the park.

JoshInKC
March 12th, 2015, 04:02 AM
Yeah, Banks murdered it. Also, if they were in the habit of giving out emmys for most impressive american accent by a non-native, Kerry Condon (Mike's daughter in law) would be a lock. Seriously, check out an interview with her and be amazed by her shanty-Irish accent.

Kchrpm
March 12th, 2015, 06:43 AM
Kerry Condon
I bet you wouldn't mind being JoshInThatKC *wink wink nudge nudge*

I had to Google her to make sure she was cute and of age before making that joke, TOTALLY WORTH IT.

JoshInKC
March 12th, 2015, 02:11 PM
I bet you wouldn't mind being JoshInThatKC *wink wink nudge nudge*

I had to Google her to make sure she was cute and of age before making that joke, TOTALLY WORTH IT.

That was very good, and I applaud it.
Also- Yes.

Freude am Fahren
March 13th, 2015, 07:33 AM
I gotta say, I'm kinda looking forward to this new Fast & Furious movie. They really threw those cars out of a C-130.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F540eW4fs9Q#t=151

thesameguy
March 13th, 2015, 10:13 AM
I saw a trailer for it the other day. Made me sad for Paul Walker.

Leon
March 15th, 2015, 12:06 AM
Last Man On Earth.

Very amusing :)

Fast As Possible
March 15th, 2015, 03:27 AM
I watched God Bless America earlier. :cool:

Cam
March 15th, 2015, 04:31 AM
I watch (or mostly watched) seven movies on my recent trans-atlantic flights.

Penguins of Madagascar: Fun and entertaining. I didn't like the villain, however, as in, not convincing and kind of annoying.
Big Hero Six: I really liked it, more than I thought I would. Great movie.

The big difference between Disney/Pixar and Dreamworks right now is that Dreamworks makes movies that kids love, while Disney/Pixar is making movies everyone will love. Sadly, Dreamworks saw fit to shutter PDI, despite making reasonably successful movies.

The Equalizer: Enjoyed it. Pretty good, but it's a bit slow-paced, I think.
Lucy: I shut this movie off about an hour in. I feel I gave it an honest go. I can't stand Johansen's acting, or lack thereof. I can't figure out how she is considered an A-list actress. I've never been convinced by any of her characters. Kind of hokey premise and situations.
Interstellar: Good acting, but horrifically slow-paced. I think it should have been an hour shorter. I was skipping ahead occasionally. Environmental message.
Fury: Damn good movie. Damn disturbing movie. War sucks.
The Imitation Game: This is a great film too, but again, a bit disturbing knowing how Turing was treated after the war.

Alan P
March 15th, 2015, 03:41 PM
CSI Cyber. What a crock of shit.

Madam Secretary just got very interesting. Bit of a slow burn but it's interesting enough.

The Blacklist just took a bit of a twist too. M's AoS is getting interesting too.

speedpimp
March 22nd, 2015, 10:31 AM
Finished up the current season of Banshee. Pretty good, although sometimes its so over the top that it makes Sons Of Anarchy look tame.

mk
March 23rd, 2015, 11:44 AM
Mad Max.

From public TV.
Could it be EuroVision something, now when Australia is also contesting.