PDA

View Full Version : What are you watching?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

sandydandy
March 23rd, 2015, 11:56 AM
Finished Season 4 of Homeland. Different but still good. Some episodes had a Season 1 feel in terms of tension and excitement.

thesameguy
March 23rd, 2015, 10:37 PM
I might later regret saying this, but TMNT is not bad at all.

speedpimp
March 24th, 2015, 01:38 PM
So your developmentally disabled 10 yr old son gets caught with 10 kilos of heroin. He gets sentenced to reform school. And to prepare him for what may happen you tell him to be prepared to give blowies to the guards in return for protection. When he doesn't "get it", you then take the steps of making sure he will be protected by tattooing a swastika on his forehead. That Sammie is one twisted lady.

Phil_SS
March 25th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Big Hero Six is awesome. Saw it with my daughter in the theaters when it was released and she loved it. Baymax FTW!

overpowered
March 26th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Ray Palmer is suiting up on Arrow but so far seems more like Iron Man than the Atom.

sandydandy
March 26th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Watched a movie called "The Debt" recently, about a trio of Mossad agents who are hunting down a Nazi war criminal. Helen Mirren and Sam Worthington are the film's headline actors, but Jesper Christensen pulls off the villainous role of the "Surgeon of Birkenau" with a sense of dark perfection.

One scene in particular is quite chilling, where he's talking to Worthington's character about his role in the Holocaust, and justifying what the Nazis were doing. I can imagine some of the dialogue in that exchange was very uncomfortable for some viewers to stomach.

MR2 Fan
March 27th, 2015, 07:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvQJbF2CXLQ

Freude am Fahren
March 27th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Can't wait.

thesameguy
March 28th, 2015, 11:40 PM
Local comedy club is doing a 48 hour comedy marathon, tickets for the whole thing is $30. Last night was strip improv, tonight was high improv. A bunch of comedians getting high and trying to do improv is pretty damned amazing. Totally disproves the idea you have to be high to appreciate people who are high. A+, would recommend.

speedpimp
March 29th, 2015, 02:46 AM
Any big names or just local guys?

Leon
March 29th, 2015, 10:21 AM
"One Big Happy"

Complete train wreck of a comedy, however, Kelly Brook.

I could watch her all day. If only she wouldn't talk.

thesameguy
March 30th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Any big names or just local guys?

Locals, and more specifically, regulars. I guess that kind of makes it funnier, as seeing people you've seen before totally messed up and on stage is hilarious.

They also did a "strip-prov" show where, as you'd imagine, clothes come off.

Kind of amazing to see a comedy venue open for 48 hours non-stop, and I'm kinda bummer we didn't make it to the 48th hour. That would have been good times.

George
March 30th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Spectre trailer

Looks good! I need to check out this new Bond. The last Bond films I enjoyed and saw in theatres starred Timothy Dalton. I've caught parts of the Pierce Brosnan movies on Saturday afternoon TV but never got into them, and I haven't see the new guy's movies at all.

Freude am Fahren
March 30th, 2015, 02:15 PM
They're very good. Much more serious and dark than the rest. Huge cinematic quality. And I think Craig is quite good, though some don't like how much of a different kind of Bond he is.

speedpimp
March 30th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Locals, and more specifically, regulars. I guess that kind of makes it funnier, as seeing people you've seen before totally messed up and on stage is hilarious.

They also did a "strip-prov" show where, as you'd imagine, clothes come off.

Kind of amazing to see a comedy venue open for 48 hours non-stop, and I'm kinda bummer we didn't make it to the 48th hour. That would have been good times.

There is a comedienne that runs a Nude Comedy show at a club in New York.

Blerpa
March 31st, 2015, 09:02 AM
They're very good. Much more serious and dark than the rest. Huge cinematic quality. And I think Craig is quite good, though some don't like how much of a different kind of Bond he is.

Ironically enough, beside his physical looks, he is the closest to the original Fleming novels' Bond among all of the ones ever depicted on the big screen (Him and Lazenby, partly).

KillerB
April 1st, 2015, 12:38 PM
Trevor Phillips (okay, Steven Ogg) sighting on Better Call Saul!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLsjmwt_KVw

George
April 1st, 2015, 01:17 PM
Is that a Honda Oddyssey with woodgrain siding? :eek: (2:10 - 2:19)

I'm certain that's the first one I've ever seen. Yuck.

Dealer-installed foolishness, I must assume.

KillerB
April 1st, 2015, 02:16 PM
I'm thinking more that it was done by the producers of the show.

speedpimp
April 1st, 2015, 02:24 PM
Wagon Queen Family Truckster Breaking Bad Universe Edition? Sure, why not.

sandydandy
April 1st, 2015, 02:55 PM
Finally saw "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" last night. Been meaning to watch it for a while. Pretty good movie.

speedpimp
April 1st, 2015, 03:19 PM
If you get a chance make sure you check out the original Swedish trilogy(Dragon Tat, The Girl Who Played With Fire, Girl Who Kicked A Hornet's Nest). You won't be disappointed, me bruv.

sandydandy
April 1st, 2015, 04:06 PM
Will do bruva. In honour of your birfday innit. I'll watch it during tea time.

speedpimp
April 1st, 2015, 04:40 PM
Hopefully tea time is eight hours or so.

sandydandy
April 2nd, 2015, 03:57 AM
It'll be multiple tea times...in between I'll be taking out the rubbish, yeah?

overpowered
April 2nd, 2015, 07:10 AM
Season 6 of Community is sucking pretty hard.

speedpimp
April 2nd, 2015, 03:10 PM
Season NINE!!!!!!! of Trailer Park Boys is up on Netflix.

speedpimp
April 2nd, 2015, 06:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/speedpimp/better%20call%20GTA%20saul.gif (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/speedpimp/media/better%20call%20GTA%20saul.gif.html)

KillerB
April 3rd, 2015, 11:39 PM
:lol:

Man, wouldn't Jonathan Banks play an excellent protagonist in the next GTA... or better yet, the next Red Dead?

sandydandy
April 5th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Watched "Furious Seven" last night. The movie was...alright. Nice send off for Paul Walker at the end. I wasn't exactly crying or even tearing up during the segment, but I read online that a lot of people were. The popular opinion seems to be that if you didn't get emotional, then you're either lying or not a true F&F fan, which is a crock of shit.

The scene in Tokyo was a complete let-down. Total waste.

thesameguy
April 9th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Related, Castrol is running a promotion where you get two free tickets with the purchase of 5qts of Castrol Edge synthetic oil. Autozone is simultaneously running a promotion for 5qts of Castrol Edge and a Bosch filter for $29. By my math, that's a synthetic oil change for $9.

Edit: Should mention it took four days to get my tickets, so I'll be seeing it tonight or tomorrow. :)

Freude am Fahren
April 9th, 2015, 06:29 PM
Awesome Value!

CudaMan
April 9th, 2015, 10:59 PM
Nice! We were thinking of seeing F7 this weekend anyway, and we could use some Castrol.

Edit - cant' find any mention of Autozone 5qt Castrol deal. In-store only?

thesameguy
April 10th, 2015, 10:58 AM
it could very well be. I usually grab the flyer in the front as I walk to the back, but since we were in SoCal I didn't know where the flyers were and I just walked to the back. Both the movie promotion and the Autozone promotion were on separate notices on the rack o' oil.

Here's a thread on BITOG about it, not that it helps. :) http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3669428/Autozone_Castrol_oil_+_filter_

Edit: The language on the ad indicates you can use the tickets for any Universal movie, and since the Fiero is also due for an oil change I may try to redeem another one. If I make it back to AZ before you, I'll let you know. Hopefully I can go by tonight as the Fiero is VERY overdue. Like two months. Heh.

speedpimp
April 10th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Daredevil.

CudaMan
April 10th, 2015, 09:34 PM
I went to Autozone this evening and there was no promo on synthetic Castrol (nor any mention of F7 tickets). I asked, and they said only Mobil was on special (although Castrol GTX was clearly marked down in the aisle). They gave me a 10% discount but at $9/quart that's still nowhere near $29. :)

The machine did print out a redemption form for the F7 tickets, though. I went online and submitted that way - hopefully get something back Monday.

Thanks for the heads-up anyhow. :)

thesameguy
April 11th, 2015, 09:16 AM
I submitted online last Sunday night and got the code Wednesday afternoon - pretty quick turnaround!

Caught the movie last night and thought it was excellent. I thought they found a good way to have crazy car chases and awesome stunts without once suggesting the world hung in the balance. And :up: to Kurt Russell for being an awesome plot element. My girl cried at the end over the nod to Paul Walker, and we agreed it might be the best movie yet (I'm still a big fan of 5 though :) )

CudaMan
April 11th, 2015, 10:55 AM
We've forgotten some of the story, so we started catching up with #4 last night. He's not Braga!

MR2 Fan
April 12th, 2015, 04:09 PM
The scene in Tokyo was a complete let-down. Total waste.

The scene in Tokyo was just basically tying up what happened at the end of 3...which is interesting to me, how many other franchises wait 4 movies to continue a plot point? :p

Anyway, I thought it was one of the best in the series (I still liked 2F2F).

Some of the truly fake things stood out though, like:

Mia knows she's having a baby 9 months away, but already knows her gender? WTF?

and seriously, girls couldn't wear tiny bikinis like that out in the open in Abu Dhabi...I mean g-strings? As far as I know that's illegal there

oh, and some of the car chase stuff was impossible, but that's expected :P

Alan P
April 12th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Daredevil. Really good! Gritty realism!

speedpimp
April 13th, 2015, 03:59 PM
Burned through Daredevil in three days.

sandydandy
April 14th, 2015, 05:36 AM
The scene in Tokyo was just basically tying up what happened at the end of 3...which is interesting to me, how many other franchises wait 4 movies to continue a plot point? :p I don't know man, I was just kinda hoping for more.

That maybe...‎

...Sean and crew would join Dom's team and participate in hunting/taking down Shaw. The underlying motivation was supposed to be revenge for Han, yet they barely mentioned him again beyond the first 15 minutes. Maybe they'll include those characters in future films.‎

thesameguy
April 15th, 2015, 10:13 PM

Man, it is pretty good.

Kchrpm
April 16th, 2015, 10:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

novicius
April 16th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Yup, same here. Diggin' it. :up: :up:

Re: new Star Wars, so far I don't like it. Time (and maybe seeing the actual movie) will tell. #shrug

Freude am Fahren
April 16th, 2015, 06:29 PM
The biggest thing I am not looking forward to is Abrams' style of shooting things as if they are being shot by an onlooker/press/actual person's POV. The shaking and sudden zooming/panning. It worked in Cloverfield for obvious reasons, but it's just stupid in a normal third person POV movie like Star Trek.

Also, Jered Leto put out a picture of himself in some Joker Makeup. If you haven't seen it, here's a summary:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FVizxy%2BOL._SY300_.jpg

thesameguy
April 16th, 2015, 09:24 PM
Re: new Star Wars, so far I don't like it. Time (and maybe seeing the actual movie) will tell. #shrug

I can't tell if I care. The last three movies were so bad I don't know what could get the nasty taste out of my mouth. I find it very hard to give a singular flying fuck about anything Star Wars anymore.

overpowered
April 17th, 2015, 01:13 AM
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=118811

novicius
April 17th, 2015, 06:46 AM
Diggable. :up: :up:

But I need a hero -- I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=96&v=ZTidn2dBYbY

MR2 Fan
April 17th, 2015, 11:08 AM
I realized how big of a Star Wars fan I am after the new trailer....which is....not that much?

Lots of people are gushing about it and I think it looks good but nothing strikes me other than how old Han Solo is.

sandydandy
April 17th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I think Star Wars has become passe for me. No matter how much I try, I just can't seem to get excited about this movie. I think the prequel trilogy being an utter letdown has a lot to do with it. The magic is gone, so my expectations are very low. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised when I watch it...but I doubt it.

MR2 Fan
April 17th, 2015, 01:25 PM
on the other hand, knowing this thing is REAL is quite cool:

http://mashable.com/2015/04/16/star-wars-bb8-technology/

Phil_SS
April 17th, 2015, 04:16 PM
The prequels sucked because Lucas used them as a way to show off his computer skills instead of actually making a good movie.

Abrams has gone back to what made the Original Trilogy so good. A great story and an incredible imagination of the universe. And he is doing it with as little CGI as possible. Everything I've seen shows it will at the least be very good from the point of an immersive experience. Something the green screen prequels failed to due in an epic fashion.

Can't wait. Can't fuckin wait! The eight year old in me is still alive and kickin.

thesameguy
April 17th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Intellectually I know all that, but the bloom is off the rose, so to speak. There are enough good movies out there that I'd feel pretty stupid if I paid another $15 to sit through another two hours of an another awful Star Wars movie. My inner eight year old is a bloody corpse thanks to Mr. Lucas.

sandydandy
April 20th, 2015, 11:34 AM
I wanted to avoid it like the plague, but I've given in and started watching Daredevil.

While I was never a fan of the character in my comicbook reading days, and never watched the (awful, or so I've heard) Affleck version of him on the big screen, I have to admit I am thoroughly enjoying this series. It's quite good. Highly recommended.

MR2 Fan
April 20th, 2015, 12:32 PM
new jurassic world trailer is out today...I think they just gave away the entire plot of the movie.

shakes
April 20th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Just started watching Spartacus on Netflix along with My Name is Earl. I started Spartacus not expecting much and was pleasantly suprised. SE01 has a 300/Sin City/green screen feel to it but it works. Season two took a while to get going, but it looks like it'll be almost as good as Season 1. My Name is Earl is one of my top 3 TV comedies. If you liked the level of humor in Arrested Development or in the earlier seasons of the Office, you'll like My Name is Earl.

Leon
April 21st, 2015, 10:58 PM
Continuing to try to watch Last Man on Earth.

It has gone from excellent, to basically unwatchable.

overpowered
April 22nd, 2015, 05:06 PM
I just know they going to screw it up.

http://geektyrant.com/news/scarlett-johansson-starts-shooting-ghost-in-the-shell-in-2016

George
April 24th, 2015, 01:40 PM
This looks good - Johnny Depp as Whitey Bulger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uWsbqshD5TE

speedpimp
April 24th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Looks really good.

overpowered
April 24th, 2015, 08:20 PM
"Atari: Game Over" was interesting if you're into the 2600 era of video games.

FaultyMario
April 24th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Is "How to get away with murder" any good?

TheBenior
April 25th, 2015, 12:11 AM
I think my wife still watches it.

sandydandy
April 26th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Just completed Daredevil. Spectacular series can't wait for the next season. It'd be cool if he makes a cameo appearance in Age of Ultron.

"Atari: Game Over" was interesting if you're into the 2600 era of video games. Looks interesting. Gonna check it out soon.

novicius
May 3rd, 2015, 05:03 PM
'Avengers' Review: 5 Things 'Age Of Ultron' Gets Dead Wrong (http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/05/02/avengers-review-5-things-age-of-ultron-gets-dead-wrong/)

All of these complaints aside, I still had fun at the Avengers sequel... It was an entertaining sequel, but very much (one hopes) the middle-child of the Avengers films.

Let’s hope Infinity War and the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel fare better.
Saw Avengers 2: Electric Boogaloo on Saturday. I agree with pretty much everything that reviewer wrote. Had fun but it wasn't better than the 1st one.

overpowered
May 3rd, 2015, 06:35 PM
I haven't seen it yet but I already have to agree with #5, Ultron is a lame villain.

MR2 Fan
May 3rd, 2015, 07:30 PM
'Avengers' Review: 5 Things 'Age Of Ultron' Gets Dead Wrong (http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/05/02/avengers-review-5-things-age-of-ultron-gets-dead-wrong/)

Saw Avengers 2: Electric Boogaloo on Saturday. I agree with pretty much everything that reviewer wrote. Had fun but it wasn't better than the 1st one.

I think the reviewer may be slightly too harsh, but....

I mostly agree as well. There were some plot points that didn't really make sense to me and parts of it just weren't really explained. Also, the lead up to the Stark/Banner, we found A.I. and suddenly there's Ultron standing in front of them seemed to go by too quickly. The movie could have been helped by 10-15 more minutes of plot development/explanation.

There was one scene where Vision and Ultron are holding each other and you appear to see Jarvis's code overwriting Ultron's, but nothing happens after that? It didn't make any sense to me. Also, the Falcon did NOTHING in this movie except show up for the party and then the "new recruits" stuff. A quick cameo of him rescuing people would have been ok.

I think the reason why they went to the safe house wasn't because they were physically scarred, but mentally.

(Also, found out that Scarlet Witch is played by the YOUNGER sister of the kate and ashley olson twins...reminding me yet again that I'm getting OLD.)

novicius
May 3rd, 2015, 07:36 PM
Yep -- also, the movie picks up after the Avengers have already assembled? Uh, how? Did S.H.I.E.L.D. just call them and say they found a HYDRA stronghold and that was all they needed to do?? :erm:

Would have been nice to see some touchstone moments back to IM3/CA:TWS/T:TDW/AoS even if it was another shitty montage like the Stark/Banner one. :thppt:

MR2 Fan
May 3rd, 2015, 07:58 PM
Just saw this trailer tonight....mind blown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy0YCAAAgnQ

Leon
May 4th, 2015, 12:36 AM
Startalk with Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Rocky start.

Guest speaker comedienne was complete shit, and totally irrelevant, why not just get a seal that balances a ball on his nose.

Neil kept interrupting his guest speakers, and there were ad breaks every 5 minutes, after which he re-introduced his guests, just in case people forgot who everyone (including himself) was in the ad break.

Has great potential. Didn't deliver to that potential in the first episode.

Leon
May 5th, 2015, 12:23 AM
Episode #2 of Star Talk

Vastly better, thank goodness!

MR2 Fan
May 5th, 2015, 05:49 AM
oh, it's a TV show now....he's had a Star Talk podcaast for a while now.

Leon
May 5th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Yup indeed :)

George
May 5th, 2015, 09:40 PM
BB King is in home hospice care as I write this, or at least that I last heard. We're about to lose another great, and a man of such influence.

Even today, no guitarist would leave home with a guitar and an intention to play with others without knowing "The Thrill Is Gone". Not ever.

He seems like such a likeable and humble fellow. Check out this BBC documentary from 2012. It's pretty long, and I haven't seen it all yet, but it's quite good so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGTxDRiqwkM

Taimar
May 5th, 2015, 10:21 PM
I don't watch much TV - I don't have enough time. I intentionally haven't paid for TV service since 2008. But I still watch, either online or via a Seattle institution - the Scarecrow.

We're winding our way through the new Doctor Who - We're almost done with Tennant.

It's a great show, with great nods to the past but a feel and style all it's own. For me, the classics will always be my favorite (as in almost everything else I like), but I've really enjoyed both Eccleston and Tennant. Not quite sold on Matt Smith, we'll have to wait and see. I'm eager for Capaldi.

I've binged heavily on the classic series over the last year or two. It was interesting to watch episodes I'd watched as a kid and see how much I remembered.

SportWagon
May 7th, 2015, 02:39 PM
While eating my Beef and Broccoli on Noodles, on the flat-screen TV I could see a video playing depicting three (I think it was three; red, green and blue) teams of Asian actors engaged in some sort of not terribly violent struggle. The teams wore red, green or blue Shaun the Sheep sweatshirts. No, a web search doesn't reveal what it might have been.

I think it might have been one Chinese dialect with Chinese subtitles. Or maybe the characters weren't actually Chinese. Anyway, so I really couldn't understand any of the dialogue.

Phil_SS
May 7th, 2015, 05:34 PM
"Atari: Game Over" was interesting if you're into the 2600 era of video games.

Agreed. I thought it was well done. And the information behind the making of E.T. was very enlightening and I'm glad they debunked the theory that it is the worst game of all time.

sandydandy
May 10th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Watched Avengers: Age of Ultron last night and it was...good. A bit of a step down from the first Avengers movie, but still entertaining.‎

'Avengers' Review: 5 Things 'Age Of Ultron' Gets Dead Wrong (http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/05/02/avengers-review-5-things-age-of-ultron-gets-dead-wrong/) Yup, pretty much agree with everything on that list.

Except...
...grieving over the death of Quicksilver. There's only room for one Quicksilver. The X-Men version was better, IMO.

Cam
May 11th, 2015, 04:14 AM
I just know they going to screw it up.

http://geektyrant.com/news/scarlett-johansson-starts-shooting-ghost-in-the-shell-in-2016
They've already screwed it up by casting Scarlett Johansson. I cringe every time I see her "acting."

I watched the RoboCop reboot. I enjoyed it. I especally enjoyed the interactions between Keaton and Oldman's characters. That's good acting.

TheBenior
May 18th, 2015, 05:19 AM
At my wife's behest, I saw Mad Max: Fury Road this weekend. It is insane.

Cam
May 19th, 2015, 06:25 AM
Fury Road. I can confirm that it is insane. Nary a breather in the carnage. Interesting that Immortan Joe is played Hugh Keays-Byrne, who played The Toecutter in the original Mad Max. :up:

George
May 19th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Ooh, the new Mad Max movie is out already? I heard a story about it on NPR this weekend, which I guess makes sense now if they're promoting it's release. I hope I can steal away sometime for a couple hours to see it. It looks like the kind of movie best enjoyed on a movie theatre big screen.

Here's what I heard on NPR - no plot facts, but a bit about some people who appear in the movie:

Apparently there's a motorcycle gang of women in their 60s and 70s, and they did their own stunts! One of the actresses was talking about how it was the greatest role ever for women their ages - way better than the usual roles she's offered, such as playing Grandma on her deathbed, etc. - and she had so much fun and was glad they didn't have stunt-women doing their riding.

Glad to hear The Toecutter actor is back, too. I'm a sucker for cheesy stuff like that. I was thinking when I first heard of this movie if maybe Mel Gibson would be in it somewhere, sort of like how another famous guy made a cameo in the first re-made Planet Of The Apes movie.

Okay, I'm out of this thread until I have seen the movie in case you guys drop any more spoilers. I don't mean that in a negative way about anything already mentioned, but I don't want to know any more!

Quotes from a Toecutter scene in the original Mad Max movie below. :up:

Station Master: That must be your friend over there. They didn't leave much of him.

Bubba Zanetti: Must've cut his heart out, eh?

Station Master: Yes. That's what I meant. Poor bastard!

Toecutter: [whirls on the Station Manager] The Nightrider. That is his name... the Nightrider.

Station Master: [frightened] The NightRider.

Toecutter: Remember him when you look at the night sky!

Station Master: I will.

Toecutter: Take your hat off.

Station Master: Anything you say.

Toecutter: Anything I say. What a wonderful philosophy you have. Take him away.

novicius
May 19th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Saw the new Mad Max -- absolutely loved it. :up: :up:

The only thing I didn't like was that the movie's orchestral soundtrack was too loud and intrusive.

MR2 Fan
May 24th, 2015, 03:56 PM
I saw Tomorrowland.

As a personal thing, I grew up around the Disney theme parks and also hearing stories about Walt's vision of the future, including his never-realized EPCOT City plan (not to be confused with what we now see as the EPCOT theme park), so this movie was very close to my heart and in that regard, absolutely amazing!!

They touched on some historical things in Disney's past, though they didn't mention Walt specifically, it didn't matter to me, it still felt like he would have approved of most of it.

speedpimp
May 25th, 2015, 11:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4uxGbhO4ag

Alan P
May 25th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Watching Captain America The Winter Soldier with my surround sound and Sub on for the first time in months.

George
May 26th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Star Trek nerds, old and young, serious and sarcastic, this is your reminder that there is a NEW STAR TREK EPISODE COMING OUT THIS FRIDAY NIGHT.

I don't know if I'll watch it on Friday. Friday nights are hectic and I'm tired when the kids finally get to bed. I think I'd rather wait until the house is quiet and I can peacefully sit down with my wife's laptop with HDMI output plugged into our HDTV without kids or wives bugging me an just geek out like a little kid again.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - this is pretty much the best usage of the internet I've found.

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

STAR TREK CONTINUES is a critically-acclaimed, award-winning, fan-produced webseries… the brainchild of long-time Star Trek: The Original Series fan — and producer, director, actor, voice-actor, musician — Vic Mignogna.

STAR TREK CONTINUES is proud to be part of Trek history, aimed at completing the final two years of the original five-year mission.

Our “Stage 9” (an 18,500-square-foot studio named after the original soundstage at Desilu) houses the largest, most complete standing TOS sets in the world — including the bridge, corridors, turbolifts, quarters, sickbay, briefing/rec room, transporter room, Jefferies tube, engineering, auxiliary control, and shuttlecraft sets (plus an exterior planet set coming soon) — precisely constructed using the original Star Trek blueprints.

MR2 Fan
May 26th, 2015, 02:21 PM
It also has "street cred" with James Doohan's son playing Scotty

George
May 26th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Yes, and they also have...

Spoilers below about actors & actresses who appear on STC that are better enjoyed as surprises...especially one of them.

Erin Gray, the hot chick in the skintight jumpsuit from the 1970s "Buck Rogers" looks a bit different these days, but most guys (especially guys!) my age and older will recognize her. Marina Sirtis is the voice of the ship's computers, I believe, and Michael Dorn, who holds the record for appearing in the most Star Trek TV epsiodes and movies is or was in it this series somewhere. His picture is on the website under Cast.

And, they managed to not only get Lou Ferrigno, but they painted him green as well! He hasn't changed much at all :lol:, and he gives an EXCELLENT performance as a slave trader. Really. He's delightful in that role. I guess everyone who goes to the website has seen his face on the "cover" of the second episode. But, when that episode first was released, I didn't know who was in it, and let me tell you I grinned from ear to ear when I first saw him and realized who he was, and that he was green again! :lol: Who'd have thunk it?

MR2 Fan
May 26th, 2015, 03:38 PM
IN TWO DAYS....ONLY TRUE SURVIVORS WILL BE LEFT

KUNG FURY FILM IS UNLEASHED TO THE WORLD

http://www.kungfury.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTidn2dBYbY

speedpimp
May 26th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Watching Backstrom on OnDemand. It's been cancelled so I'm checking it out before it disappears into the ether.

Freude am Fahren
May 26th, 2015, 05:16 PM
That's too bad, I actually really liked it.

New Point Break trailer has been released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO2Abp0FbA0

Oh, wait, :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncvFAm4kYCo

MR2 Fan
May 28th, 2015, 06:14 PM
It's here and it's awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

MR2 Fan
May 29th, 2015, 03:39 PM
I've posted my thoughts about the Tomorrowland movie on my new blog, if anyone is interested.

http://thenewbullypulpit.blogspot.com/2015/05/tomorrowland-mirage-or-oasis.html

Phil_SS
May 29th, 2015, 04:46 PM
A new Point Break? That's just heresy! Sorry but no Swayze, well I know payze.

Freude am Fahren
May 30th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Just finished up to the halfway point of the last season of Mad Men (all Netflix has). Same as after the first couple seasons when I stopped watching, then again after about 4, I just can't make up my mind on it. Overall the show has finally grown on me, but they do things that just don't make sense to twist the plot up a bit.

novicius
June 2nd, 2015, 02:05 PM
Boogie Nights II? :lol:

http://snakeandmongoosemovie.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz4qJ7Cpnf4

speedpimp
June 2nd, 2015, 02:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miN9AVar1mE

Freude am Fahren
June 2nd, 2015, 04:43 PM
Boogie Nights II? :lol:

I think you mean Talladega Nights, unless there is a lot missing from that trailer :lol:

G'day Mate
June 2nd, 2015, 06:31 PM
"Rick and Morty" - anyone seen it?

Episode 6 would have to be about one of the darkest episodes of anything I've ever seen.

JoshInKC
June 2nd, 2015, 06:40 PM
Yeah, rick and morty is great, and absurdly weird (Cronenbergs, Bird-Person). Can't wait til second season.

G'day Mate
June 2nd, 2015, 07:03 PM
Aha - found that episode on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwJLHZhflYI

There's a strong chance it'll disappear due to copyright, but there it is for now

overpowered
June 5th, 2015, 09:33 PM
So Khal Drogo is going to be Aquaman. This might be interesting, but probably not. It's Aquaman, after all.

Leon
June 5th, 2015, 10:45 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2294189/?ref_=nmbio_mbio

The Fall (TV, two series of six episodes)

Maaaaaan that's a dark little series

Gillian Anderson (X-Files) is *amazing* in this.

Freude am Fahren
June 6th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Just saw they're making a Minority Report series on Fox. Follows one of the male precog twins, after the events of the movie, as he tries to use his limited power to prevent murders, with the help of a detective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fLl-DMzxrk

I'll probably give it a shot, as I have a thing for sequel/prequel/expansions on existing narratives, but I doubt it will be very good.

Netflix's new sci-fi series Sense8 is quite intriguing so far.

thesameguy
June 6th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Netflix just released a show called sense8 which is from J Michael Straczynski and the Wachowskis. I am intrigued by the notion of a sci fi series from both the Babylon 5 guy and the Matrix people.

thesameguy
June 6th, 2015, 10:10 PM
Man, quite good so far.

thesameguy
June 7th, 2015, 03:10 AM
It has its flaws but it is totally worth it. It is so adventurous and fun. :up: :up:

speedpimp
June 7th, 2015, 05:51 AM
Metastasis(aka Breaking Bad remake) is up on Netflix.

Alan P
June 7th, 2015, 05:27 PM
If anyone hasn't caught the pilot/First episode, Mr Robot is well worth a watch.

speedpimp
June 9th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Jon Bernthal has been cast as The Punisher for season 2 of Daredevil.

speedpimp
June 14th, 2015, 03:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXzoTZtKY0k

Sad, little man
June 14th, 2015, 04:02 PM
That doesn't seem very funny. :|

speedpimp
June 15th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Pretty sure it's supposed to be an intentional unintentional parody of the typical Lifetime shit.

speedpimp
June 15th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Any other Ray Donovan watchers besides myself here? Any Deadwood fans? Lovejoy even? All three? Al Swearengen aka Ian McShane is joining the Donovan cast as this season's antagonist.

JoshInKC
June 15th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Lovejoy? That's not a reference I see everyday.
:up:

overpowered
June 15th, 2015, 06:49 PM
Not sure why, but I hung on for all of season 6 of Community. It sucked, all the way through.

MR2 Fan
June 21st, 2015, 06:02 PM
BATTLEBOTS is back and it is awesome!!

sandydandy
June 24th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Started re-watching 'Suits' from the very beginning. The fifth season just started tonight, I believe, and I am ill-prepared. I was watching it about a year ago, but dropped off in the middle of the third season, as for some strange reason Netflix decided to only release half of the third season episodes. When they eventually released the rest, I had lost interest.

Anyway, just finished the first season and it was exactly like it was the first time for me. Awesome. Sharp, slick, and witty dialogue with smart plots and well-dressed, and likable, characters. Especially the lead character, lawyer Harvey Specter, played by Gabriel Macht. I don't know how accurate the legal stuff is, but it's a great show overall. And it's filmed in Toronto, (but set in New York), which is fun for us locals.

Cam
July 18th, 2015, 06:49 PM
Just watched Ex Machina. Creepy movie, but good.

MR2 Fan
July 19th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Just watched Ex Machina. Creepy movie, but good.

I just watched it also...creepy, lots of nudity...in a creepy way

Excellent film though, a few unexpected things at the end as well which made it even more interesting.

Edit: oh and the lead actress played her role extremely well and she is quite lovely even as a robot

Freude am Fahren
July 25th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Looks like someone made a sci-fi movie based loosely on the Farnsworth Parabox episode of Futurama (one of my favorites) :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyknfocH8t4

Because I love me some B-movie Netflix action, I'm giving it a watch right now.

edit: Well that was... interesting. Must have been a pilot or something. Feels like a SyFy or Netflix series would be possible.

speedpimp
July 25th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Jim Norton Contextually Inadequate on Netflix. Checking out Bloodlines as well.

George
July 25th, 2015, 07:58 PM
I saw Sharknados 2 and 3 today.

I'm not sure what else to say just yet.

/stunned

Leon
July 25th, 2015, 08:02 PM
There's a 3?!

I watched the finale of Wandering Pines.

Very pissed off.

Will not be watching Series 2 (if there is one).

speedpimp
July 26th, 2015, 04:38 AM
Yes, Greg, Sharknado 3 premiered this past week.

Kchrpm
July 26th, 2015, 06:59 AM
I just watched Ex Machina as well. Very good, recommended to all.

Kchrpm
July 26th, 2015, 07:02 AM
That Parallels trailer just makes me think of Sliders.

Leon
July 27th, 2015, 12:25 AM
Yes, Greg, Sharknado 3 premiered this past week.

Watched it last night after "obtaining" it.

thesameguy
July 27th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Jim Norton Contextually Inadequate on Netflix. Checking out Bloodlines as well.

I cannot handle Jim Norton and I don't specifically know why.

Blerpa
July 27th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Last week, Mad Max: Fury Road. Outstanding. Not much else to say. Must be seen.

speedpimp
July 27th, 2015, 01:05 PM
I cannot handle Jim Norton and I don't specifically know why.

If you can handle Doug Stanhope then you should be able to handle a 5'6" 140lb man who loves transgender ladies.

MR2 Fan
July 30th, 2015, 04:40 PM
After seeing all of the hype about Star Wars VII having lots of practical effects and REAL film, etc. I found this thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/practical-effects-in-the-prequels-sets-pictures-models-etc.50017310/

Now this is a die-hard SW fans forum, but it's interesting how A.) there WERE a lot of practical effects in the prequels and B.) It didn't matter because they did so much to make it LOOK AND FEEL fake or CG with post-effects or whatever they used.

I really wonder if someone dedicated a lot of time to use more CG to make the scenes look more realistic, how it would look.

In a much smaller instance, I noticed a few scenes in LOTR where they used practical models, but they did so much post-work to it, that it looked entirely CG in the end :|

overpowered
July 30th, 2015, 09:22 PM
The Flash is stupid but fun, but sometimes the stupid goes beyond stupid. The other night they re-ran the episode "Revenge of the Rogues" where Captain Cold and Heat Wave have their respective guns. They said the gun generated "absolute hot" or Planck temperature. If that was true, it would likely vaporize the earth and maybe the solar system.

Planck temperature is many orders of magnitude hotter than the center of the sun.

overpowered
August 2nd, 2015, 09:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbizTBYs-rQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDBNB2hk5t0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvoWwY64S5w

sandydandy
August 5th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Watching Breaking Bad again. This is only my second full go around. I regularly watch my favourite episodes, (Say My Name, Salud, Felina, etc), but this is the first time I've actually committed to re-watching it from scratch.

Really appreciating this show properly the second time around. It truly is the greatest TV show of all time. Of course I haven't seen Game of Thrones, House of Cards or The Sopranos. I'll get to them when I get to them.

Alan P
August 9th, 2015, 02:03 AM
And I STILL haven't watched a single episode of BB.

George
August 9th, 2015, 05:33 AM
^ Nor have I. I saw about five minutes of one episode once and saw...

a guy being tortured

...and decided it wasn't for me.

Yesterday I was up at zero-dark-thirty because I couldn't sleep due to a variety of worries and I watched the original True Grit movie on Netflix. My wife recently joined Netflix, as if we didn't already have enough monthly fees to pay. It may have been the altered state I was in due to being overly tired, but I thought it was a really good movie. I grew up thinking John Wayne movies were pretty cheesy, and this from a guy who loves old movies, but I really liked this one. I didn't like it quite as much as my favorite JW movie, The Shootist, but it was very enjoyable, and that once scene (those who have seen it will know) was surprisingly brutal and gruesome for a movie from 1969. I was also pleasantly surprised to see so many famous actors keep showing up in True Grit as the movie progressed.

I'd love to see the remake starring Jeff Bridges, who is on my short list of very favorite actors.

JoshInKC
August 9th, 2015, 10:20 AM
I'd love to see the remake starring Jeff Bridges, who is on my short list of very favorite actors.

Do it immediately. It's really spectacular, and a great adaptation of a great novel in ways the John Wayne movie (which I like a lot) isn't.

George
August 9th, 2015, 11:30 AM
I did, at the expense of being with my family on this Sunday, which is now early afternoon. My wife was kind and let me, and neighborhood children kept ours occupied while I sat my basement hovel on my antique computer and watched the whole thing on YouTube.

I could say much about each movie, but for once I'll attempt to be succinct and say the viewer won't be disappointed with either version. I liked them both very much. Seeing them both in two days was a bonus.

speedpimp
August 9th, 2015, 11:53 AM
If you want John Wayne as a '70s police detective then check out McQ and Brannigan.

The Cohen's need to just go ahead and remake "Rooster Cogburn" while they're at it. Pretty sure that Helen Mirren could pull off the Katherine Hepburn role.

JoshInKC
August 9th, 2015, 04:56 PM
The girl who played Mattie in the Jeff Bridges version was so damn good, and gave many of her lines the exact right amount dismissive distaste - "We have no rodeo clowns in Yell County." etc.

George
August 9th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Yes! I agree, Josh.

"If you wet your comb, you might tame that cowlick." :lol:

Brilliant!

Signed,

A fellow cowlick sufferer

Blerpa
August 10th, 2015, 10:28 AM
The original True Grit movie is awesome, and Coen's remake just copied the original almost scene by scene (pff, hacks). Beside the end.
The Wayne's one may not be the most faithful adaptation of the book between the two movies, but to be ripped scene by scene shows how good it was for 1969. Matt Damon's the best, do not read into Bridges hype (overacting a lot) and especially the girl hype... just a cynical cartoon in the remake.
So, we disagree :D

speedpimp
August 10th, 2015, 12:42 PM
And the girl(Hailey Steinfeld) is now 18. She was part of "The Fappening" but was not talked about because her pics were taken a while ago.

overpowered
August 19th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Re: Interstellar

How the fuck is there sun light on a planet orbiting a black hole?

Kchrpm
August 20th, 2015, 04:45 AM
Race to Escape. Inspired me to do a room escape with some friends later this month.

Kchrpm
August 20th, 2015, 04:52 AM
And I thought the planets were just "near" the black hole, not solely orbiting them. I only saw it once and it was a while ago.

Edit:
https://bi2ba.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/interstellar-timeline-003.jpg

Seems the "sunlight' would have come from the accretion disk, judging by this.

https://pixiedustbeach.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/interstellar_double-negative.jpg

JoshInKC
August 20th, 2015, 05:03 AM
Race to Escape. Inspired me to do a room escape with some friends later this month.

Yeah, I've been enjoying that show for the past few weeks - I spend a lot of time screaming at the teams. Being familiar with the host- Jimmy Pardo, from his podcast (Never Not Funny (http://pardcast.com/)) and comedy, I wonder how much time he spends in the voice-over booth saying "HA! Idiots."

Kchrpm
August 20th, 2015, 06:22 AM
Yes! Jimmy is great. I listen to his podcast (and really should get the paid version), and have seen him live three times (including when he recorded one of his albums, Sprezzatura (https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Jimmy_Pardo_Sprezzatura?id=Bklo7zawspr6ivzdcdsdldr anhm&hl=en).

JoshInKC
August 20th, 2015, 10:42 AM
I started getting the Players Club last season and haven't looked back since. Highly recommended.
I've never seen him live, although I came within a hairsbreadth a few weeks ago. My wife and I were in Indianapolis a few weeks ago for GenCon/An event for her book, and found on Saturday evening that he'd had a show in town on Friday, and that he had a show that (Saturday) night in Dayton, but we would've had to jump in the car that minute to make the late show, so we decided it wasn't worth grabbing our luggage and screaming "WE GOTTA GO TO A STANDING-UP COMEDY SHOW IN DAYTON, BYE!" to my cousin and her kids on the way out the door.

I think my problem is that I get so used to comedians I like never coming to Kansas City that I just tune out completely when people start talking tour dates on podcasts.

Kchrpm
August 20th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Ha, we both almost went to the same shows :)

George
August 25th, 2015, 04:22 AM
Episode 5 of Star Trek Continues will be released one month from today on September 25.

www.startrekcontinues.com

novicius
August 25th, 2015, 04:57 AM
:up: :up:

Love STC even tho' I've only watched the first ep. :lol:

George
August 25th, 2015, 11:49 AM
The second one is really good, IMO, and doesn't require knowing a lot of details from the original series. It's the only "stand-alone" episode, so far.

MR2 Fan
September 3rd, 2015, 07:10 PM
TERMINATOR VERSUS TONY MONTANA VERSUS TOM CRUISE VERSUS CARLITO BRIGANTE VERSUS BLADE VERSUS JOHN TRAVOLTA VERSUS AL PACINO VERSUS PINHEAD VERSUS THE MASK VERSUS ROBOCOP VERSUS DARTH VADER VERSUS MICHAEL JACKSON.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/awesome-video-seamlessly-edits-all-your-favorite-movie-1728409566

sandydandy
September 8th, 2015, 05:02 PM
I watched Better Call Saul and it was outstanding. Can't wait for the next season.

MR2 Fan
September 9th, 2015, 04:49 PM
For the U.S. peeps....looks like The Weather Channel is going to start having.....wait for it.......................Weather again!!

They're going to be cancelling shows like "Fat Guys in the Woods"............I'm not even joking, that's the actual name of a show on the channel right now

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/09/media/weather-channel-sam-champion/index.html

overpowered
September 10th, 2015, 03:47 PM
Recently started watching Dr. Who.

Even more recently started watching the season with Amy Pond (Karen Gillan). There seems to be a lot of times where they are going back in time on earth and she's wearing either a mini-skirt or short shorts in WWII U.K. or 1880's France or whatever and nobody blinks an eye.

Kchrpm
September 11th, 2015, 04:27 PM
I've been watching The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, it has a ton of fantastic moments. The best may be Joe Biden, and Jeb Bush's Trump impersonation on the extended clip on the web.

sandydandy
September 11th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Anybody watching Narcos? I've heard it's really good. Saw the trailer too, and it looks interesting. Maybe I'll start it next week.

This is truly the golden age of television.

speedpimp
September 13th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Narcos.

George
September 21st, 2015, 01:50 PM
Just started "Longmire" on Netflix this weekend. I managed to watch the first three episodes and start the fourth while working on stuff around the house, such as folding laundry and whatnot, over a three-day weekend.

I have been listening to the audio books from the library, written by Craig Johnson, and really enjoy them. I was expecting to be at least slightly disappointed in the series because most TV shows and movies don't seem as good as the books - perhaps for lack of time to go into the same level of detail as on paper - but this series is really good so far. The stories are really well done, and they even did a bait-and-switch in one episode where it started out just like one of the books, but then veered off in a completely different direction. Cool.

Sure, a few things are different, and there are some new faces and some regulars from the books not yet mentioned, and one person lives somewhere different than in the books, but one important thing they got right is the cast, IMO. The actor who plays Walt is particularly good and seems just like I imagined him. I like the girl who plays Vic, too.

I wouldn't have picked Lou Diamond Phillips to play Henry, but he does a fine job, even if I imagined Henry as being much taller and larger/stronger and I think he is described as having long hair in the books. I imagine him with a long pony tail, perhaps with some streaks of grey in it. Oh well - it doesn't really matter; the friendship between Walt and Henry is there, and the writers made sure not to let Henry use contractions, just like in the book. :lol:

The only thing I don't understand is...

...the hostility of the reservation police toward Walt. In the books, Walt seems to come and go from "the res" as he pleases and is friends with many folks there, like the old guy in the wheelchair who's name I can't remember, for example. Maybe they figured more conflict is better for TV, such as how they have deputy Branch Connelly (who?) running for Sheriff against his boss. That's okay too, though. I like Branch. He seems like a badass who knows his stuff, even if he is keeping a pretty big secret from Walt. :eek:

I'll keep watching Longmire. Fortunately there are a whole bunch more episodes to see.

In other news, as a reminder to anyone who might care, the latest Star Trek Continues episode comes out on their website this Friday, September 25.

Alan P
September 21st, 2015, 05:00 PM
Although not much of one as I haven't read the books,Didn't Walt arrest the previous Res Police Chief for Fraud and racketeering?

There's a LOT more that comes up about it in later episodes and seasons.

George
September 21st, 2015, 05:32 PM
Answer to Alan, which contains, well, not true spoilers, but some plot points about the first episode.

Yes, that's what they said in the first episode - at least I think it was the first. Maybe the second. Anyway, Walt was driving his Bronco onto the reservation and two of their cops blocked the road with their police car and refused to let him pass.

This may be related to something in one of the books I haven't read/heard yet, but his being practically banned from the reservation seems really strange. Later in the show, Henry drove his old pickup truck, which he calls "Res Dog" in the books, onto the reservation at night with Walt lying down in the bed of the truck to avoid being seen.

Trivia that is hardly a spoiler, but that I was reminded of while writing something above: On TV, Walt drives an "OJ" Ford Bronco. In the books, while not specifically named by manufacturer and model name, I think I've figured out that Walt drives a Ford F-250 or F-350 4x4 with a V-10 engine and an extended cab. He calls it "The Bullet"

The reason I say it's a Ford is I don't think Dodge or Chevy make/made a V-10 to go in a work truck. I guess Dodge has stuck Viper engines in some Ram pickups, but think those were "sport trucks" and not extended cab, heavy duty models.

I could be wrong though; I don't follow cars and trucks like I once did. In fact, I'm getting to the age when I occasionally see a new car on the road and don't recognize it. I thought that's just something middle-aged Dads did, like mine, who could and can tell a '34 Ford from a '35 with a split-second glance, but didn't know the difference between a Celica and a Supra when I was a teenage car freak.

Yeah, middle-aged Dads are pretty clueless, huh? Oh...wait... :(

Alan P
September 22nd, 2015, 05:10 PM
Watched Blindspot. Has potential but it could just turn into 'The Blacklist' with tattoos rather than super criminal giving away the information.

Big bang theory. Smiled once. Think it's nowhere near as funny as it used to be. Only first episode though. Scorpion. Katharine McPhee really is very lovely indeed.

Phil_SS
September 22nd, 2015, 05:18 PM
Anybody who is a motorsports fan should watch Gonchi. It's on Netflix, get to it.

Leon
September 23rd, 2015, 12:51 AM
Big bang theory. Smiled once. Think it's nowhere near as funny as it used to be. Only first episode though.

Agreed. However as they had all the cliffhangers from last season to resolve, it was always going to be a rubbish episode.

It really was rubbish though.

George
September 25th, 2015, 09:43 AM
A Star Trek Continues update, with a correction to my previous remarks here that newest episode would be available tonight, September 25. I guess they're showing it at Comic Con in Utah tonight but not making it available to the rest of the world until tomorrow morning.

Your chance to see Episode V comes tomorrow morning, September 26, starting at 8:00am Pacific time. Just navigate to StarTrekContinues.com...

More info here: http://stcsubspacechatter.blogspot.com/

I'm probably the only one who is interested in this, but thought I'd share the news anyway. I've been a fan of the original series for over 40 years, and to have a chance to see new episodes now brings joy to my life.

Edited to add: I just found this article, posted today, about the new engineering set they're building:

http://stcsubspacechatter.blogspot.com/2015/09/engineering-room-readied-for-scot.html

The original from the 1960s:

http://prof.johnpile.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/P93_10_engineering.jpg

What they're building (or have built - I guess we'll know tomorrow) now in Georgia:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5LoelrHluvY/VgVypKKDR_I/AAAAAAAAAIY/0G9IlfDGBzI/s320/Painted.JPG

Alan P
September 25th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Wesley Snipes new TV series 'Player'. Not a bad start but we'll see.

speedpimp
September 25th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Narcos. This must be seen.

Drachen596
September 26th, 2015, 12:47 AM
Dodge did have a V10 gas model for their heavy duty trucks, they quit using it in 2003 or so. 310 horses, cast iron instead of aluminum like the Viper V10.

The Bastard Executioner seems pretty good. though for some reason only episodes 1 and 3 are available through comcasts ondemand online..

sandydandy
September 26th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Narcos. This must be seen. Watched about 15 minutes of it. Got tired of reading the subtitles. Tell me they actually speak English in the rest of the episodes. Pablo Escobar's first appearance was badass.

speedpimp
September 27th, 2015, 02:57 AM
Watched about 15 minutes of it. Got tired of reading the subtitles. Tell me they actually speak English in the rest of the episodes. Pablo Escobar's first appearance was badass.

The Americans speak English and pretty much everybody else speaks Spanish, unless they are in a scene with an American where they will speak English, if the person knows how to, if they don't then there is another person there to translate.
Give it anuver chance, me bruv.

George
September 27th, 2015, 06:07 AM
If you can't understand Spanish, you need to spend more time in the United States. :p

I happily watched episode 5 of Star Trek Continues yesterday. Here's a description if anyone is interested in how an all-volunteer, fan-made show managed to have hundreds of appropriately costumed and equipped extras in a show they make on what must be a tiny budget.

This is somewhat of a spoiler, so don't read if you intend to watch this latest STC episode.

Star Trek often had episodes in which characters went back in time, either on purpose, or more often, accidentally - or perhaps unexpectedly is a better word. I could list several episodes and one of the movies - no, two movies, if you count the later Next Generation movies - in which they go back in time, but for once I'll save bandwidth and err on the side of brevity.

There are a lot of folks in the southern USA - and probably the north, too, but I remember this from living in the Carolinas - who dress up in Civil War uniforms and re-enact battles at the locations where they occurred originally. As Star Trek Continues is filmed in Georgia, I guess a re-enactment this summer wasn't too hard to find, and probably spawned the idea for the episode in the first place. I thought this was as good an idea as any other. I mean, they have to go somewhere, right? One of the criticisms of the first four episodes is that they...

...all take place on board the Enterprise. There have been no scenes on the surface of a planet, until this one. Well, okay, there was one in episode 4, but that was just a room - not an outdoor scene.

And while they've introduced a couple of new characters on the series - as the original often did - it was good to see the return of Doctor M'benga, who appeared in just one of the original episodes. It speaks to the depth of personnel there must be on a ship with 430 men and woman aboard, and reinforces McCoy's position as the CHIEF medical officer, rather than the only doctor and/or surgeon on the ship. The actor playing M'benga even had what I would consider to be a 1960s haircut, or lack thereof. STC seems to be very detail-oriented to remain a show that looks like it was made in the '60s, including one obviously grainy exterior shot of the Enterprise in this one, and of course it's presented in the old "square" TV format, which doesn't fill the width of the screen of a modern TV, or a large/wide computer monitor, which is where I watched it - and on the Ubuntu OS, too, if that scores me extra weirdo bonus points. And, the excellent actor who plays McCoy in this version had an "I'm a doctor, not a ..." line in this episode. Good stuff. Karl Urban needs to watch out, because actor Chuck Huber is just as good and credible as McCoy.

Really the only giveaway that is is a fan-made show is watching the credits. They're presented just like the original version, and in the typestyle and color that was used in the third and final season of the original series, because, after all, this is a continuation of that, but it's amusing to pause the credits each time the screens change and see the same names over and and over. Sure, there are tons of names, but some of them keep coming up screen after screen, such as the role they played in that episode, plus set construction, some kind of producer, editing, the guy who went to pick up lunch for everyone on Tuesday, etc.

I remain incredibly impressed with this show and grateful that it exists.

And now I return to my normal state of being, which is waiting for the next Star Trek episode or movie to be released. JJ Abrams, where are you?

Edited to add just one thing, which is a minor complaint, after much contemplation about such a trivial matter:

There is a scene early in this newest episode in which Spock and Scotty (played by Chris Doohan, son of James Doohan, the original Scotty - THAT'S how damn authentic this show is!) get down underneath Spock's station on the bridge and look inside an access panel to repair something that has been damaged. It looks like a bunch of old PC parts - the kind I've seen when adding RAM to an older computer. Now, this concept of opening panels to fix stuff on the bridge isn't new. Spock dropped a wrench there once during the classic "submarine battle" first-season episode called "Balance Of Terror", for example.

Anyway, my point is this: this area really should have had vacuum tubes inside the maintenance access panel, rather than old PC parts. They should have torn up an old stereo or guitar amp (heaven forbid!) and shown a hand-wired circuit board with tubes mounted to it, as they had in the 1960s Enterprise.

But, I admit I'm really stretching here to find fault with this excellent show, upon a second viewing, as I write this.

sandydandy
September 27th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Give it anuver chance, me bruv. Sure thing, bruva.

Cam
September 27th, 2015, 03:29 PM
I willingly watched a full TV show today for the first time in ages: Heroes Reborn (and several prologue shorts.) I'm interested. I quite enjoyed the original series. In fact, I think that's the last TV show/series I watched. I don't watch much TV.

overpowered
September 27th, 2015, 04:15 PM
I didn't know about the prologue stuff. I think I found it. Do you mean this?

http://www.nbc.com/heroes-reborn/dark-matters/episodes

Cam
September 27th, 2015, 06:14 PM
Yes.

Leon
September 28th, 2015, 01:08 AM
Blunt Talk.

What the actual fuck? Patrick Stewart like you've never seen him before.

overpowered
September 28th, 2015, 09:21 PM
I'm 2/3 of the way through the second episode of Minority Report before I realize Lieutenant Blake is Fez.

speedpimp
September 29th, 2015, 02:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unnLg1TPCYM

sandydandy
October 11th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Watched Sicario last night. A very deep, dark, and powerful film. So engrossing and intense, I can say it's probably the best film I've seen in years. The performances were all top-notch, especially Benicio Del Toro.

I highly recommend this film to everyone.

Leon
October 11th, 2015, 10:33 AM
"You're the Worst". Still hilariously anti-social and not politically correct.

Plus, the secondary lead female I am moderately in lust with :)

JoshInKC
October 11th, 2015, 11:40 AM
"You're the Worst". Still hilariously anti-social and not politically correct.

Plus, the secondary lead female I am moderately in lust with :)

Yeah- that's a good show, and your interest in Lindsay is completely reasonable. She seems like a fun girl.

Also: "Abobo"

MR2 Fan
October 23rd, 2015, 11:38 AM
Sad news: This next upcoming season of Mythbusters will be the final one.

While I understand 14 seasons is a good, long run for any TV show, it's sad because it's one of the few truly scientific shows on any network anymore. Some people were saying that it's good because it isn't as good as it used to be, etc. but really, what will Discovery give us next? Swamp Log F*ckers? Dump Truck Dynasty? Trailer Park Tycoons?

FaultyMario
October 23rd, 2015, 11:51 AM
Anybody who is a motorsports fan should watch Gonchi. It's on Netflix, get to it.

Still cry.

George
October 23rd, 2015, 12:39 PM
Swamp Log F*ckers?

That made me laugh out loud here in this all too quiet office. :lol:

speedpimp
October 23rd, 2015, 03:10 PM
New season of Fargo.

overpowered
October 23rd, 2015, 09:45 PM
Sad news: This next upcoming season of Mythbusters will be the final one.I think that they made a mistake by dumping Kari, Grant and Tory.

Leon
October 23rd, 2015, 10:12 PM
A vaguely amusing show "Undateable" has done a good spin.

They now do a "live" show, and the actors keep trying to get their fellow cast members to lose their shit, live. So there's often references to other shows or movies that the other cast members have been in etc.

There have been some very well played wind ups. Then, just to make it more confusing they do a West coast, and East coast show, and they do different improv's on each show. So now I watch it twice.

MR2 Fan
October 24th, 2015, 05:39 AM
I think that they made a mistake by dumping Kari, Grant and Tory.

Yeah, or ideally they could have gotten their own show with experiments, etc. (I know Kari had the "Head Rush" show but that's just rehashing old clips)

G'day Mate
October 27th, 2015, 03:22 AM
https://beyondtheflow.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/castle.jpg

G'day Mate
October 27th, 2015, 04:18 AM
Oh and, Daz ... put them gates 'round the back

:D

Freude am Fahren
November 2nd, 2015, 08:26 AM
http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2015-11/2/10/enhanced/webdr14/enhanced-7592-1446476621-7.png

thesameguy
November 2nd, 2015, 09:32 AM
http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/kung-fury-poster-laser-time.jpg

Netflix. For real.

Freude am Fahren
November 2nd, 2015, 09:44 AM
Just started watching Under The Skin, which starts out with a fully nude Scarlett Johansson. I did not know about this until now. It's pretty out there so far.

overpowered
November 2nd, 2015, 09:44 AM
Watched Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness back to back. Probably should have skipped the first one.

thesameguy
November 2nd, 2015, 09:51 AM
Just started watching Under The Skin, which starts out with a fully nude Scarlett Johansson. I did not know about this until now. It's pretty out there so far.

Understatement of the year.

MR2 Fan
November 2nd, 2015, 01:00 PM
http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/kung-fury-poster-laser-time.jpg

Netflix. For real.

For those who are too high class for Youtube?

thesameguy
November 2nd, 2015, 02:05 PM
Higher quality, that's all. :)

Leon
November 2nd, 2015, 10:10 PM

I haven't managed to watch that movie. It was just a bit incoherent for me.

tigeraid
November 3rd, 2015, 07:36 AM
Ash vs. The Evil Dead is spectacular.

overpowered
November 3rd, 2015, 02:14 PM
Scorpion: Crazy Train - Stupidest episode ever.

sandydandy
November 4th, 2015, 05:23 AM
Waiting on Homeland season 5 to end so I can watch all the episodes together.

Just saw that they have one episode called "Better Call Saul" this season. Nice nod to Breaking Bad.

speedpimp
November 4th, 2015, 07:01 AM
Latest season of Fargo is kicking ass.

MR2 Fan
November 7th, 2015, 10:46 AM
So that cute Japanese pop idol group AKB48 (and its several sister groups) have done a "yankii" themed series for a few years, completely anti-idolesque stuff where they all beat the crap out of each other as rival gangs.

This season it's taken a much more violent turn with a whole group going up against the Yakuza and Chinese affiliates in a massive, john woo-esque gunplay showdown.

Pretty crazy:

http://c48.org/majisuka-gakuen-5-episode-11-eng-sub/

overpowered
November 7th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Obviously I don't get it, but that sucked.

Leon
November 7th, 2015, 06:21 PM
"You're the worst" has taken a side turn from comedy into a very dark couple of episodes addressing clinical depression. It is well done, but is (in my opinion) very risky, considering everyone watching the show is there for comedy, not for the well done, but very grim diversion.

overpowered
November 8th, 2015, 10:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6d0PlFmCko

sandydandy
November 11th, 2015, 10:12 AM
Finally got around to watching Mockingjay Part 1. It was decent, though nowhere near as good as the first two Hunger Games films. Still deciding whether or not to watch the final installment in the theater next week, or to just wait for Netflix.

George
November 18th, 2015, 08:50 AM
My life is so busy when I'm home that you guys post about entire series you're watching, while I post about individual episodes I've watched. :lol:

This may be better posted in the Reading thread, but as I stared on Longmire here and the differences between the TV series and the books, here's a bit more.

As I've never read a Longmire book on paper but only heard audio CDs from the library, I got curious about the spelling the last name of Longmire's Basque deputy Santiago "Sancho" Saizarbitoria - yeah, that's a mouthful, ain't it? - and I read on the Longmire wikipedia page that Walt Longmire in the books is about twenty years older than he is on TV. I knew he was a Vietnam vet, but I guess I hadn't considered just how old vets of that war are now, until I got into "Another Man's Moccasins". That book contains some scenes of Walt and his best pal Henry Standing Bear together in Vietnam in 1967.

I don't think it spoils anything to mention that Walt was a Marine officer there on an investigation, where he reunited with his childhood friend Henry Standing Bear, who was then a badass Special Forces soldier who carried an amazing assortment of weaponry, including the tomahawk he still carries in present-day Longmire books. Maybe he uses it in the TV shows, too, but I'm sorry, Lou Diamond Phillips just isn't the Indian of Jack Reacher size and ability that Henry is in the books. It's kind of like Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher in the movie - a capable actor and around the right age, I suppose, but just too puny to compare to the guy described in the books. Oh well, I suppose it easier to write about giants than it is to find actors who qualify.

I've still only viewed about four or five of the Longmire TV shows. I hope to see more.

novicius
November 19th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning

I watched this as a shitty-shit-shit joke while playing Destiny -- and it intrigued me enough to watch it again. Now I'm all kinds of stoked for it. :smh: :up: #betterthanadvertised

Freude am Fahren
November 19th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Watched the first few episodes of Mr. Robot. The main 'surprise' was ruined for me, but I think I might have picked up on it.

JoshInKC
November 19th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Yeah, that wasn't a surprise to me or my wife when we were watching as it aired. We pretty much both called it by the end of the first ep.
Definitely a good show though.

Jason
November 20th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Watched the first episode of Jessica Jones... pretty damned good.

My apartment has too much light, and Marvel's Netflix shows are too dark... so I gotta wait until the sun goes down to continue haha

sandydandy
November 21st, 2015, 12:10 PM
Watched "Friends With Benefits" last night. Surprisingly good. Mostly because Mila Kunis is so fucking hot.

JoshInKC
November 21st, 2015, 05:44 PM
Jessica Jones is very good as of 4 episodes in.

thesameguy
November 21st, 2015, 05:57 PM
Excellent to hear - I like Ms. Ritter and the trailers looked good. I will put that on the to-do list for tonight!

GO NETFLIX!

Jason
November 21st, 2015, 07:02 PM
I'm liking, though not as much as Daredevil, but that's a tough order to live up to.

Kilgrave is a hell of a villain. Marvel's best villains are on Netflix so far.

thesameguy
November 21st, 2015, 07:25 PM
Netflix is killing me. I kicked TV and had mostly kicked movies, but this past year Netflix has actually kept me glued to the TV. I'm not all that happy about it on the one hand, but on the other I've been poor this year so having something to pass the time ain't all bad.

speedpimp
November 22nd, 2015, 05:33 AM
Two eps into JessJo and liking it.

novicius
November 22nd, 2015, 10:17 AM
I'm five eps into JessJo and loving it -- IMO it's much darker than Daredevil (not that that's what I require), mainly due to the issues of violation (sexual and emotional), manipulation and exploring rape PTSD. Just fucking daaark. Daredevil just gets into the occasional fistfight by comparison. :lol:

It's also a running social commentary on how the "sinister evil" that JessJo faces are issues that most women have to had to face at one time or another in their lives. :(

sandydandy
November 22nd, 2015, 08:09 PM
Just watched the first episode of JessJo. Pretty good stuff.

speedpimp
November 23rd, 2015, 05:59 AM
Watching Ash vs. Evil Dead. Great stuff. Loved Campbell's cameo on Fargo as Ronnie Raygun as well.

thesameguy
November 23rd, 2015, 09:08 AM
I am having mixed feelings about Jessica Jones. I think I am at 8 or something like that... three nights of two or three eps each sounds like 8. I really am enjoying the story, but the writing seems off in some way. It may be the result of trying to make real-world sense out of a complicated villain, but it seems like all the storylines and dialog are really simplified or dumbed down. Can't quite put my finger on it. Definitely good enough to watch, but as much as it pains me to say it, I like what I've watched of Gotham better.

sandydandy
November 23rd, 2015, 01:45 PM
Re: JessJo - Am I the only one who needed a few minutes to get over my initial automatic hatred toward her? (She was Jane, after all).

Jason
November 23rd, 2015, 01:57 PM
No you're not. I think that's kind of the point though.. she's kinda this piece of shit on the surface, but when you peel back the layers of why she is the way she is, you start to understand and appreciate more.

Edit: Just realized you're more referring to the actress/former character of hers.

sandydandy
November 23rd, 2015, 02:06 PM
Yup.

thesameguy
November 23rd, 2015, 03:15 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Krysten Ritter is either Chloe or Gia, so somehow Jessica isn't a huge stretch. :lol:

Phil_SS
November 23rd, 2015, 05:04 PM
Narcos. This must be seen.

Just watched the first episode the other day and it was fantastic. Just hope they didn't blow their wad.

sandydandy
November 23rd, 2015, 07:40 PM
Six episodes into Jessica Jones and loving it. So dark, gritty, and intense. I haven't binge watched a show like this since the first time I watched Homeland.

I especially have a new appreciation for Luke Cage, who I always thought was just a dumb brute in my New Avengers reading days. Can't wait for his series to start as well.

JoshInKC
November 24th, 2015, 04:11 AM
Finished Jessica Jones last night. It is a great show. There's just so much to recommend it, it's hard to even express -- I love a show that has a thesis statement and idea its trying to get across - and JJo has a lot to say.
If the Luke Cage show is at all similar in its goals, I'm really excited for it - One could get a lot of mileage out of "invulnerable black guy"/police violence/black lives matter/etc.

In all: Tall Slut No Panties - 5 Stars.

Jason
November 24th, 2015, 04:53 AM
"I once told a guy to go screw himself, can you even imagine??"*

Line of the series.

* - may not be the exact line

George
November 28th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Stuck inside the house this weekend due to cold and snow, and having taken a seven-hour nap yesterday afternoon (I mean, really...who does that?), I managed to watch a few movies online from websites of dubious legitimacy:

Terminator 5
Mad Max Fury Road
Jack Reacher (again)

T5 was fun. I've been a fan of the franchise since I was first terrified by the original in the theatre when it was new.

Mad Max Fury Road had me on the edge of my uncomfortable computer chair the whole time. Wow. I needed a rest after that adrenaline-fest. The cars were awesome. Lots of classic Mopars, I thought, but it was kind of hard to tell what some of them were.

Somehow I got into the Reacher movie again, while folding laundry, and I think this time I finally "got it". I have been opposed to Cruise as Reacher, like 99.9% of the internet population whose comments I've read, but upon a third viewing, I think it was okay. Sure, the book was better, but that can be said for most movies.

And, lo and behold, one of the bad guys in Jack Reacher was...

The new Kyle Reese in T5!

I suppose anyone who cares knew that already, but I can hardly name a single actor who is working today and under the age of sixty or so, except the folks in Star Trek Continues.

overpowered
November 28th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Fifty Shades of Grey came on HBO last night. Yet another lame movie that can't possibly appeal to anyone with an I.Q. over 80. Almost as bad as Twilight. Terrible script. Terrible acting (though it's tough to do a good acting job with terrible dialogue). I've heard that the book was just as stupid. How is crap like this so big?

Looking on IMDB and it's rated badly, though worse by males than females.

sandydandy
November 28th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Finished up Jessica Jones. Quality series.

speedpimp
November 29th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Fifty Shades of Grey came on HBO last night. Yet another lame movie that can't possibly appeal to anyone with an I.Q. over 80. Almost as bad as Twilight. Terrible script. Terrible acting (though it's tough to do a good acting job with terrible dialogue). I've heard that the book was just as stupid. How is crap like this so big?

Looking on IMDB and it's rated badly, though worse by males than females.

And it all began as Twilight fan fiction.

overpowered
November 29th, 2015, 02:42 PM
That explains a lot.

thesameguy
November 30th, 2015, 11:06 AM
I have also heard that the two leads positively hate each other IRL. Not seen the movie, don't intend to, but I've heard their off-screen problems led to on-screen issues.

Alan P
November 30th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Watched the first episode of the new Sy-fy show The Expanse. And rather enjoyed it too. Looking forward to the other episodes appearing.

FaultyMario
November 30th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Gravity Falls.

FaultyMario
November 30th, 2015, 04:23 PM
If anyone's into torrents, I hear the second season of les revenants is pretty good. S1 was really good.

Phil_SS
November 30th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Somehow I got into the Reacher movie again, while folding laundry, and I think this time I finally "got it". I have been opposed to Cruise as Reacher, like 99.9% of the internet population whose comments I've read, but upon a third viewing, I think it was okay. Sure, the book was better, but that can be said for most movies.

This was added to Netflix over the summer and because it was shot in Pittsburgh I figured I would watch it just to see how it represented the city. And I'll be honest, I thought it was going to be crap but came away with a pretty high regard for the movie. I thought it was well done.

But maybe that is because I had no preconceptions of Jack Reacher as I have not read the books.

I'm up through Episode 7 of Narcos and it has been fantastic. Big :up:

sandydandy
November 30th, 2015, 06:40 PM
I watched John Carpenter's "In The Mouth of Madness" recently. I remember watching this movie in the theater when it was first released, and how it scared the crap out of me at the time.

It was filmed in and around Toronto, and just this past weekend I drove by the "Black Church", which is really this place. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_the_Transfiguration_(Markham)) It's quite magnificent looking.

overpowered
November 30th, 2015, 07:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w6agKVUCTM

George
November 30th, 2015, 10:21 PM
This was added to Netflix over the summer and because it was shot in Pittsburgh I figured I would watch it just to see how it represented the city. And I'll be honest, I thought it was going to be crap but came away with a pretty high regard for the movie. I thought it was well done.

But maybe that is because I had no preconceptions of Jack Reacher as I have not read the books.

It was a well done movie. I was just so heavily into Reacher books, one right after the other when the movie came out, that I was expecting too much, and it's easy to pick on Tom Cruise for being too short, because in the books, Reacher is 6'5". Why that should bother anyone really makes no sense, but I guess it would like re-making the TV show Gunsmoke and having an average sized man play Marshal Dillon. Or any Clint Eastwood role, come to think of it. Reacher is also described as having sandy blonde hair.

In my mind, Reacher looks a little like actor and athlete Chuck Connors. I don't know what actor(s) today would fit his description.

http://www.tokeofthetown.com/2011/04/06/Chuck%20Connors%20Branded%20flip.png

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/88/b6/5a/88b65a1df491dbe119e31d59f0bf7712.jpg

But, Cruise is about the right age (Reacher was born in 1960; Cruise in '62), looked to be in good shape, and he can look menacing when necessary. I thought he did okay, especially when he was... on the phone after the defense attorney was captured, and telling one of the bad guys that he was going to beat him to death. I don't think of Reacher as the kind to make threats, that was a good line or two for Cruise. And the look of resignation on his face during the five vs. one fight where he said something like, "yeah, I have done this before" with a trace of remorse, like, "I'd really rather be somewhere else, but I will destroy you, if you insist."

Reacher grew up on Marine Corps bases all over the world and was always "the new kid" and therefore had to become a proficient fighter, along with his older brother, and often against groups of larger, older boys. He often takes on groups in the books and it's not unusual for him to inflict gruesome, crippling injuries while he's at it. I think part of his popularity is he gets away with outrageous acts of vigilante violence, and those who suffer his wrath usually deserve it beyond a doubt, and the reader is glad to see justice meted out. I also like the fact that he often takes whatever money his victims are carrying. He should have done that to the two guys he clobbered after the bathtub and baseball bat scene in the movie. It just seems like a badass move, and hey, the guy needs money for his bus tickets, cheap motels, and "high calorie meals", usually eaten in diners with his back to the wall and his eyes on the the exits, just in case of trouble. He does do honest work for his money sometimes, and that part of his character always reminds me of Dr. David Banner in The Incredible Hulk TV show. He too was a drifter, but always seemed to find work, before having to leave town.

Some other Book Reacher vs. Movie Reacher trivia, if you're interested:

The book the movie was based on is called "One Shot", in case you'd like to read and compare. I think it's one of the best of the 19 Reacher books I've read. It's certainly in the top five, IMO. A non-spoiler (I hope) hint: all the details toward the end of the movie and who was guilty of various things may not be exactly the same in the book. They dropped a clue early in the movie that turned out to be important in the book, but was never brought up again in the movie. No big deal, though, and I thought the movie ending was fine. And, it wouldn't be a Reacher story without a big showdown at the end, and usually at the primary villian's heavily guarded compound.

I thought they got the first third or so of the movie just about perfect. Reacher is with a woman in a hotel, decides to get up and leave right then, and buys a new set of clothes for his next trip. He seems to buy clothes in every book, and it's usually a fun scene when he does, with a store clerk watching in amazement as he dresses in his new purchases and discards the clothing he walked in wearing. The whole setup of the DA, the detective, and the defense lawyer was good. The detective explaining to the DA how hard Reacher is to find (right before Reacher walks in) was just perfect, I thought. The sniper location, parking garage, the preferred view from the bridge, and all the other details related to the mass shooting at the beginning was dead on, as well. Even though the book is not set in Pittsburgh, I don't know how a movie could have done better with those scenes. And back to his luggage-less lifestyle, I liked the line after we see Reacher washing his shirt in the hotel sink, the attorney asks him to put on a shirt, and he says, "This IS my shirt."

Reacher is also an expert marksman and sniper, and more than once he has had to prove himself as he did in the movie. He also drinks coffee, black, and lots of it. Someone (perhaps at this forum, maybe - I'm thinking Josh) wrote or repeated that "Reacher runs on murder and coffee", and that's pretty accurate.

Something the movie got wrong, but I liked better: Reacher always buys new clothes and shoes, not used, and he always throws his old set out in the trash -- never at a charity drop box. I've always wondered about that, and I think the movie did a better job with this aspect of his character. Why throw away clothes that were brand new and that he only wore for four days (his usual average, if I remember correctly)? Someone in need would like to have them...well, except for the ones with bloodstains and bullet holes and who knows what else on them. Give 'em to charity instead of the store's trash can.

I want to say the Gunny who owned the firing range was a black man in the book, but so what? It's always nice to see Duvall in films.

Jack Reacher is not an expert driver. Sure, he can drive, and does, but he learned in the Army, has never had a civilian license, and is more often a passenger, even when he has a choice to drive. He has mentioned a time or two that he's not a particularly good driver, IIRC. I don't know if he could have pulled off all that hotshot motoring in the Chevelle. He could not have blended in with the crowd at the bus stop. No way. In fact, it's even mentioned in at least one book that when he's in a city and being hunted or followed, he walks separately from other people so as not to look taller than everyone else and be instantly spotted. That whole bus scene was totally wrong, and I think that, plus the fact that Cruise had to look up at the leader of the five-man parking lot gang, are the main reasons people don't accept Cruise as Reacher.

Speaking of the parking lot fight again, I think the actress who played the girl who worked at the auto parts store was very good, and well cast for the role.

Gosh, did I really type all that? Well, sorry, but I just like Jack Reacher novels, and the movie, I must admit. I hear Cruise & Co. are making another one, based on the book "Never Go Back". I still need to read the 20th book, from 2015, titled "Make Me", but I'm waiting to find that one on audio book at the library.

Well, just remember to do like Jack and get your retaliation in first! :mad:

thesameguy
December 1st, 2015, 09:40 AM
I liked the movie. I've watched it a few times.

MR2 Fan
December 1st, 2015, 10:45 AM
Watched a few movies when I flew to Japan

Mad Max:Fury Road - I need to watch this on a bigger screen...and some of the plot points seemed unclear the first time through but overall entertaining.

Vacation - Um...there's a few funny things here, and some self-deprecating humor which I enjoyed....decent but not great.

Tomorrowland - Ok, second time I'm seeing this. I love the premise and 2/3rds of it are great, but like most reviewers said, the third act pretty much falls flat and doesn't make much sense.

Minions- Disappointed....Despicable Me 2 was better.

I also just watched Spectre over the weekend. I enjoyed it, but there were a few bits that were not perfect...the idea that Spectre is this massive evil organization wasn't really portrayed very well, but then again, this is apparently the first of 2 parts?