PDA

View Full Version : What are you watching?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

MR2 Fan
November 28th, 2016, 09:46 AM
The Grand Tour first episode: oh, ok. Where are the automative news and the celebrities? The hypercar segment lead to a dumb end. Half-assed.

Apparently there's been some legal issues about having celebrity interviews or some shit like that, which is why they keep killing them off. My guess is they were contracted to have these guests on the show then told they couldn't do interviews or something stupid because BBC are a bunch of idiots.

I like the show so far, but it will take a bit of time to find its new footing IMO.

In other news, I'm excited for Rogue One, moreso than Episode VII for some reason.

Phil_SS
November 28th, 2016, 09:55 AM
In other news, I'm excited for Rogue One, moreso than Episode VII for some reason.

Because Vader. He has to have a central role on the Empire side in this movie and that should lead to some awesome scenes. Star Wars is always better when Vader is involved. And no, Anakin goin all postal does not count.

As far as The Grand Tour. I have been thoroughly enjoying it. Maybe that's because I don't see any of the other cars shows.

Other things I've been watching.

Winning, Paul Newman's Racing career: I thought it was quite good. Produced by Adam Corolla who owns most of Newman's racing cars and continues to race them during vintage race events. The documentary looked at Newman's racing career and team ownership career from his start in motor racing til his death. It also touched on his Philanthropy.

Spectre: Latest James Bond movie. Not sure what to say. I liked some of it. It felt like too much of it was just a bunch of action scenes smashed together. I want a bit more espionage and less explosions.

Freude am Fahren
November 28th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Westworld:

It's funny how like every major fan theory has been proven true (Barnard as host, Barnard is Arnold kinda, multiple time lines (well, not confirmed yet), William-MiB (probably)).

Anyway timeline wise, there are two main ones, I think.

"Present" is everything in the "real world" buildings, Maeve as a Madam, and the Man in Black stuff.

30 years ago (?) is the William story. He may be the Man in Black before he become the man in black. Seems likely now.

Delores' timeline is all over the place. As was kind of explained, they don't experience memories like we do, but rather they live them out as if everything is happening at once, which is kinda what we see in her.

In between are Maeve's memories of being a homesteader (probably not too long ago), and Teddy's memories of the slaughter, which may be false memories. They may also be memories of an actual failed uprising, or even multiple uprisings, and Wyatt might be a patched memory of someone else, maybe Delores, like how the shooting changed from soldiers to citizens (either changed memories or multiple events).

Still unclear are when the conversations between Delores and Jeffery Wright's character (as it's unclear if she's been talking to Arnold, Bernard, or even just herself) take place. I think they're very old, just after Arnold went on his own.

Cam
November 28th, 2016, 12:53 PM
I really enjoyed Moana. I'm not a fan of the musical numbers and potty humour (OMGLOLZ, he peed in the water! :rolleyes: ), but everything else is gorgeous. Animation, lighting, textures and environments are brilliant.

speedpimp
November 28th, 2016, 01:05 PM
The thing that gets me about Westworld is the giant leather mask wearing people/creatures. Are they a failed experiment that escaped?

Freude am Fahren
November 28th, 2016, 01:27 PM
I thought they were just part of the new narrative. A bit of over the top stuff made by that one guy that thinks he's important, mainly because I saw a drawing in his office of something that looked like them. But I like your thoughts better. Also, what's with the Thor's brother and the Natives?

speedpimp
November 28th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Ghost Nation? No idea.
Check out Bone Tomahawk if you like weird Westerns. Its on Amazon Prime.

MR2 Fan
November 28th, 2016, 03:55 PM
Looks good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohb5k3_vQcE

speedpimp
November 28th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Shit yeah.

Phil_SS
November 28th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Yeah. I be all over that.

novicius
November 29th, 2016, 03:52 AM
Season 4 of Agents of SHIELD seems hokey.
Really? That's too bad -- I've been re-watching the first 3 seasons in order to get ready for season 4 and the Inhumans spin-off.

Any mentions of Daredevil, Jessica Jones or Luke Cage? Cage fought a Hammertech-powered Diamondback in the streets with cell phones and actual cameras filming the event! :lol:

novicius
November 29th, 2016, 03:58 AM
Spectre: Latest James Bond movie. Not sure what to say. I liked some of it. It felt like too much of it was just a bunch of action scenes smashed together. I want a bit more espionage and less explosions.
My entire problem with Daniel Craig's Bond, his massive (financial) success with the franchise notwithstanding.

#idriselba :D

Cam
November 29th, 2016, 04:20 AM
Movies written based on focus group results. "More car chases, tits and explosions, yeah!" :|

Kchrpm
November 29th, 2016, 05:51 AM
Any mentions of Daredevil, Jessica Jones or Luke Cage? Cage fought a Hammertech-powered Diamondback in the streets with cell phones and actual cameras filming the event! :lol:
Nope!

Kchrpm
November 29th, 2016, 05:51 AM
"More car chases, tits and explosions, yeah!"
I'd go see that movie! With or without the explosions.

speedpimp
December 5th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Yoga Hosers. It's entertainingly bad and would've been right at home on USA's Up All Night.

neanderthal
December 5th, 2016, 07:29 PM
Insecure on HBO. It's remarkable.

LaNina on Netflix. A bit slow and ponderous.

Leon
December 5th, 2016, 09:11 PM
Yoga Hosers. It's entertainingly bad and would've been right at home on USA's Up All Night.

Is that the Kevin Smith latest movie?

Whatever the one was with the man being turned into a Walrus is potentially the worst movie I have sat through. Thus, slightly wary of anything new from him ....

Yw-slayer
December 5th, 2016, 10:07 PM
Yes, and Tusk, apparently. Even the trailers look bad.

speedpimp
December 6th, 2016, 07:51 AM
Tusk and Yoga Hosers are the first two installments of Smith's "True North Trilogy". The last third will be MooseJaws, a movie about a killer Moose.

Leon
December 6th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Ouch, Yoga Hosers reviews are brutal. I believe I shall avoid it.

Okay, let me start by saying that I grew up o Kevin Smith movies. To this day i love DOGMA and Chasing Amy.

But this movie was just terrible, I mean freaking terrible. The puns, the story line, the freaking bratwursts, the acting, the direction... what the hell was Kevin Smith thinking?

MR2 Fan
December 6th, 2016, 07:14 PM
"Hello, My Twenties" on Netflix, a K-Drama, not bad

dodint
December 7th, 2016, 04:13 AM
Yeah, I happened to scroll past Yoga Hosers on Netflix last night and wondered what the hell it was. Now I know. :lol:

SportWagon
December 8th, 2016, 01:28 PM
The other night I watched the first episode of What's My Line? to be made after Fred Allen's apparently unexpected death. Steve Allen was on the panel, and, during the closing when all the panelists gave short eulogies, said that, although he frequently needed to dispel the incorrect notion that he was Fred Allen's son, he could not feel more grief even if he had been.

neanderthal
December 10th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Now watching Sniper on USA.

Freude am Fahren
December 14th, 2016, 11:46 AM
I've been watching Black Mirror on Netflix. What an awesome show! I love how believable most of the sci-fi elements of it are.

speedpimp
December 14th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Nosedive(first ep of the new season is really good).

Watching Easy. Netflix show about a group of modern Yuppies in Chicago. Each episode is self contained and has a different cast. Worth a look if you like anthologies.

Cam
December 19th, 2016, 08:11 AM
Second season of Dark Matter. The android cracks me up. :lol:

Freude am Fahren
December 19th, 2016, 08:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haXvp8M9Cog&ab_channel=WarnerBros.Pictures

novicius
December 19th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Based on that trailer? Not excited. :| :down:

::

In other happy news, Sense8 Christmas Special is coming before Season 2! :D :up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7JTJzb6ybQ

Freude am Fahren
December 19th, 2016, 08:52 AM
How BBC of them. BTW, I think it's already available. I'm waiting on it though. Too many other series I'm on.

Just started season 2 of The Man In The High Castle. Got a few episodes of Black Mirror left. That's a great show, but I found it kind of depressing to binge watch, so I'm gonna spread it out a bit more. :lol: Luckily being an anthology series, that works fine.

dodint
December 19th, 2016, 10:33 AM
I've been watching Black Mirror on Netflix. What an awesome show! I love how believable most of the sci-fi elements of it are.

Most of them are superb. I had my strongest emotional reaction to a TV show ever watching an episode of BM.

I tried to get Keith into it but I think he only watched one or two episodes.

Phil_SS
December 19th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Guess you didn't mention the chick with the huge rack in future episodes? ;)

That Bladerunner 2049 trailer looks awesome. Really excited for it.

Blerpa
December 20th, 2016, 10:48 PM
Watched all The Grand Tour episodes aired so far. It's ok, but Celebrity Brain Crash is an obvious waste of show time and Conversation Street segment is not enough car-ish.
Funnily enough, I don't give a damn about The American and I don't miss The Stig one iota.

Also watched the Sing animated movie at the cinema: I knew nothing about this, went to bring the stepdaughter (friend's birthday party) and my and my partner laughed non stop for the whole movie.
Watched Batman V Superman finally: MEH. The Martha thing is actually one of the most reasonable stuff in it, the rest was quite a bore. Thumbs up for Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne/The Bat (surprisingly, I liked the bit Frank Miller angle) and Cavill as Superman, Adams is ok as Lois Lane; OTOH I found Lex Luthor awful and Wonder Woman was totally out of focus compared to the original character.

Leon
December 20th, 2016, 11:11 PM
The OA.

Episode 1.

My brain hurts.

Freude am Fahren
December 21st, 2016, 06:44 AM
Saw Suicide Squad. Not great.

FaultyMario
December 22nd, 2016, 06:06 AM
Well, duh!

Will Smith is in it.

dodint
December 22nd, 2016, 06:11 AM
Twin Peaks sucks, can't believe people have been passing this off as excellence for the last 20 years. That's what passed for good before the internet gave you more choices.

Leon
December 22nd, 2016, 09:04 AM
you need the right frame of mind for Twin Peaks, and it is one of those shows that is quite polarizing.

I really liked it, though I've not watched it in 20 years.

dodint
December 22nd, 2016, 09:59 AM
I can't get past the score. It's so wrong for the tone and it's not mixed well, it sits on top of everything. It's like watching a movie while sitting inside the House of Blues. Bad jazz just floating around distracting you from whatever it is they're trying to say and do.

21Kid
December 22nd, 2016, 10:44 AM
Saw Suicide Squad. Not great.
Yeah, same here. very forgettable.

Started watching The OA. I'm not sure about it yet. I'm afraid it'll get too crazy, like Lost.

I have watched 2 episodes of Black Mirror. Need to see more! :up:

speedpimp
December 22nd, 2016, 01:53 PM
Delving into White Rabbit Project on Netflix. It's the show that features the build team from Mythusters(Grant, Tori, Kari). So far, so good.

novicius
December 22nd, 2016, 08:08 PM
Just finished The OA. Intriguing. :up:

'Lost' is kind of apt in that it's all a mystery. Requires patience to get through if you're not drawn in immediately.

FaultyMario
December 23rd, 2016, 06:41 AM
Gravity Falls is a much better take on the fantasy/scifi/philosophy/conspiracy genre than Lost, even if it's a kiddie show.

I guess not having a writer's strike helps but also not antagonizing your audience by doing shit you explicitly said weren't going to is a good step

novicius
December 23rd, 2016, 09:48 AM
Sense8 Christmas Special just dropped -- meaty! :D

But I'm really biased -- this is one of my favorite sci-fi concepts in years. I enjoy the skill-swapping as much as the gun-play and kung-foolery. A great expansion of many of the concepts from The Matrix actually.

LoLz gay sex jokes, don't care, *so* looking forward to May 5th (when Season 2 drops). :finger:

dodint
December 23rd, 2016, 09:54 AM
If you're into really crude and dark humor, Uncle Nick is on Netflix and is worth the time. The story is framed against the backdrop of the infamous Indians ten-cent beer night riot. :lol:

Also, if I were building a woman from scratch for personal use she'd end up looking exactly like Melia Renee from this movie . . .

neanderthal
December 24th, 2016, 12:24 AM
"13th."

A powerful documentary by Ava duVernay about the 13th amendment, the school to prison pipeline, the war on black bodies in the US, and the arc of how we got to where we are right now.

speedpimp
December 26th, 2016, 03:03 PM
If you're into really crude and dark humor, Uncle Nick is on Netflix and is worth the time. The story is framed against the backdrop of the infamous Indians ten-cent beer night riot. :lol:

Also, if I were building a woman from scratch for personal use she'd end up looking exactly like Melia Renee from this movie . . .

Watching it now. Really good.

dodint
December 26th, 2016, 06:51 PM
You were the exact audience I had in mind, enjoy.

Forgot to mention it's a Christmas movie.

speedpimp
December 27th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Really enjoyed that.

George
December 27th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Cable TV station AMC was playing a marathon of Breaking Bad this weekend. My wife and I happened to catch the pilot episode, and then the one after that. The premise is promising, but I think they could use a little less violence and gore. I'm sure that will die away as the show picks up and no longer needs shock value to lure in new viewers.

Hey, it could happen!

Seriously, neither of us has ever watched it, and we might just have a new Netflix thing going here.

Leon
December 28th, 2016, 10:33 PM
I just binge watched series 2 of Humans (UK series).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4122068/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I highly recommend this series, and also Utopia. Both of which are damn good series :) Hopefully they don't get remade by the USA, into some hollywood rubbish.

Leon
December 28th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Cable TV station AMC was playing a marathon of Breaking Bad this weekend. My wife and I happened to catch the pilot episode, and then the one after that. The premise is promising, but I think they could use a little less violence and gore. I'm sure that will die away as the show picks up and no longer needs shock value to lure in new viewers.

As somebody who only just recently got around to watching Breaking Bad, yeah nah. Sorry. There are no fluffy bunnies and cuddles for everyone to be found in this series. It's really good, but brutal.

George
December 29th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Yes, I said that because I've seen little bits of Breaking Bad when it was on TV regularly and it seemed like every time I've seen any of it, someone was being threatened, tortured, buried, or worse.

Alan P
December 29th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Sometimes I feel that cable shows go all out on gore, violence and nudity because they can, not because the story demands it. Sure, something like The Sopranos probably needs the violence, maybe the same could be said for GoT but there are shows where it's put me off. Banshee is a good example. Just too much.

speedpimp
December 29th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Then again Banshee was supposed to be OTT.

Leon
December 29th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Yes, I said that because I've seen little bits of Breaking Bad when it was on TV regularly and it seemed like every time I've seen any of it, someone was being threatened, tortured, buried, or worse.

Oh right, so you clearly only tuned in for the family friendly tame bits then ;)

Leon
December 29th, 2016, 06:01 PM
The OA.

Episode 1.

My brain hurts.

I've now watched the whole series. I can't recommend strongly enough, do not bother with this series, the premise was good. The ending was so beyond cop out / stupid, that you will be punching your TV.

Do not bother.

Cam
December 31st, 2016, 06:28 AM
Started watching Sense8 based on novi mentioning it. I almost shut it off during the first episode because it was so effed up. It took me three episodes before I got into it. Four episodes in and I am hooked. :)

Leon
December 31st, 2016, 11:17 AM
Fleabag.

Gloriously dark UK comedy. Usual UK TV series, very short run of only 8 episodes. Very impressed, watched the whole thing yesterday, and was both amused, and appalled.

JoshInKC
December 31st, 2016, 11:42 AM
Fleabag was great. I was hooked by the punchline of that first little story/anecdote thing.

Phil_SS
January 2nd, 2017, 01:58 PM
Finished season 2 of Narcos. Very well done.

Just finished Season 6 of The Walking Dead. I feel like it is just dragging on but the season obviously ended with a cliffhanger (I try to not know what happens next but I do know who dies). It feels like Rick's group are the person that goes up into the house when they hear a noise in the horror movies. But I guess it wouldn't be much of a show otherwise.

MR2 Fan
January 2nd, 2017, 02:24 PM
The Grand Tour's Namibia Special was quite good and felt much more like the old Top Gear compared to their recent episodes.

Leon
January 2nd, 2017, 05:02 PM
I agree about the GT double beach buggy episode.

Just them being stupid, and being in stunning scenery.

No studio tent, no fake killing celebrities, no waffle.

Blerpa
January 3rd, 2017, 07:28 AM
GT Namibia Special was real fun. They should ditch almost everything else and just do that kind of thing.

Leon
January 3rd, 2017, 09:15 AM
That's what Top Gear USA did, once it was confirmed that they couldn't do any studio or news segment to save their collective lives.

Kchrpm
January 5th, 2017, 12:23 PM
It seems I may have misjudged the story of Cars 3 a little bit (I posted a pretty thorough prediction on Facebook at least, maybe not here), based on new information coming out about the antagonist.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/01/05/cars-3-first-look/

https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/cars-3-jackson-storm.jpg

That is the antagonist, the strange sounding black car in the trailer that is passing several others. The article itself goes into his personality (entitled Millenial stuff), but that graphic specifies that he is conventionally powered. I thought, based on the sound during his brief appearance in the trailer, that he would be a hybrid. It seems that, instead, he will be about the equivalent of an unrestricted GT2/GT3 car (carbon fiber body, hydroformed chassis, 850 hp V8). Previous story leaks have already said that Lightning would be defeated by him and then come back with new tech. I forget if it specified hybrid or electric, but that would make sense considering the current racing, hypercar and consumer market. It also makes more sense that Lightning would leap frog his competitors tech, rather than just matching it.

mk
January 12th, 2017, 11:16 AM
Four Horsemen

Freude am Fahren
January 14th, 2017, 09:14 PM
Finally got around to finishing season one of The Expanse. It's good, but it wasn't like amazing like people make it out to be. I hope the buzz around it means more budget though for coming seasons. The sets mainly, and some effects, could use some work.

Leon
January 14th, 2017, 11:42 PM
Finally got around to finishing season one of The Expanse. It's good, but it wasn't like amazing like people make it out to be. I hope the buzz around it means more budget though for coming seasons. The sets mainly, and some effects, could use some work.

I ended up moderately confused and annoyed. Largely because I didn't pay enough attention while watching it.

I had no idea it was based on books, so I obtained the books, powered through the first book, and am well into the second book. Really good stuff, highly recommend for fairly hard sci fi.

G'day Mate
January 15th, 2017, 04:04 AM
I ended up moderately confused and annoyed. Largely because I didn't pay enough attention while watching it.

Same. I was engaged during the bits with the space ship crew but the rest wasn't holding my attention

21Kid
January 17th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Got pretty bored with Black Mirror. They were really neat at first. But, after a handful of them (which is like 2 seasons?), they all turn into altered perception/reality warnings.

dodint
January 17th, 2017, 08:51 AM
I think I need to find where Sherlock is streaming and get into it. I've never heard a bad thing about it.

Leon
January 17th, 2017, 08:58 AM
I loved the early Sherlock, but I'm less of a fan of the last four or five episodes.

Freude am Fahren
January 17th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Netflix has it.

speedpimp
January 17th, 2017, 12:47 PM
Finishing up "A Series Of Unfortunate Events" on Netflix. Really good.

Cam
January 18th, 2017, 05:15 AM
Angry Birds Movie. Nothing special.

21Kid
January 18th, 2017, 05:57 AM
Not as bad as I expected though.

speedpimp
January 18th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Starting on Maron.

Kchrpm
January 19th, 2017, 09:54 AM
This sounds like it could be interesting: https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/19/netflix-abstract-the-art-of-design/

sandydandy
January 23rd, 2017, 03:13 PM
Started on Doctor Foster. Seems interesting. Only five episodes, so it's a small investment.

George
January 23rd, 2017, 05:42 PM
Finally finished Luke Cage. For various unintentional reasons, the time to watch the final episode relatively uninterrupted eluded me for a long time.

Well done, says I. Glad I took the time to watch it.

novicius
January 24th, 2017, 04:05 AM
I finished up the only two seasons of "Marco Polo" they'll ever make. Wonderful show, too bad it's cancelled.

I've started watching "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix. Eh, after watching the sumptuous costuming and sets of Polo, this ren faire dirtfest is kinda tough to take seriously. ;)

Wife has been watching "A Series of Unfortunate Events" with NPH. :up: Entertaining, childish, heavily influenced by Tim Burton IMO.

dodint
January 24th, 2017, 05:23 AM
I might have asked this already but has anyone watched The Young Pope? I want to watch it to see if it's any good but I'm not sure if I should wait for my wife to start or not.

speedpimp
January 24th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Sneaky Pete on Amazon. Giovanni Ribisi as "the good guy" and Bryan Cranston as "the villain".
Also watched Cranston in "The Infiltrator". He really needs to give those types of roles up and do a few comedies instead.

Leon
January 24th, 2017, 08:10 PM
Having now read the first 1.75 Expanse books, I am re-watching The Expanse TV series.

Now the TV series makes 100x more sense. Also, the TV series so far only covers the first half of the first book ... after which I know the books at least get really really good.

tigeraid
January 25th, 2017, 09:11 AM
Having now read the first 1.75 Expanse books, I am re-watching The Expanse TV series.

Now the TV series makes 100x more sense. Also, the TV series so far only covers the first half of the first book ... after which I know the books at least get really really good.

I need me some Bobby Draper soon. Though I admit I never pictured her as dark-skinned, until I saw Alex on the show and went "oh ya, shit, the Martian settlers were mostly dark-skinned." It was really hard to sync their American south drawwwwwl and dialect with their appearance in my mind.

http://www.mtv.com.au/sites/default/files/styles/image-w-960-h-480-scale-crop/public/mtv_au/articles/2016/09/27/theexpanse_bobbie_draper_01b.jpg?itok=7_QIjBPL

Blerpa
January 25th, 2017, 12:26 PM
I might have asked this already but has anyone watched The Young Pope? I want to watch it to see if it's any good but I'm not sure if I should wait for my wife to start or not.

You will like it if you are into european autorial stuff... have you seen any of Sorrentino's movies?
I liked it a lot, but my tastes are peculiar.

Leon
January 25th, 2017, 11:48 PM
I need me some Bobby Draper soon. Though I admit I never pictured her as dark-skinned, until I saw Alex on the show and went "oh ya, shit, the Martian settlers were mostly dark-skinned." It was really hard to sync their American south drawwwwwl and dialect with their appearance in my mind.

The books do go on about her being a big Island girl, so I never pictured her otherwise :)

G'day Mate
January 26th, 2017, 01:42 AM
Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Pretty funny :D

JSGeneral
January 26th, 2017, 05:07 AM

Would you like it to make less sense again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivej0OW7WZk

Leon
January 26th, 2017, 09:15 AM
Oh that's awesome :)

speedpimp
January 27th, 2017, 03:25 PM
Very cute.

drew
January 31st, 2017, 07:39 AM
We just finished Westworld. I'm intrigued. It also makes me want to play RDR.

Cam
February 2nd, 2017, 05:20 AM
Novi mentioned Goon to me the other day, so I checked it out. I was entertained. :lol:

novicius
February 2nd, 2017, 05:21 AM
:lol: :up:

They're making a sequel (allegedly).

drew
February 2nd, 2017, 05:52 AM
I will have to find it, based on that review. :)

novicius
February 2nd, 2017, 05:54 AM
It's a documentary on Canadian culture. ;)

Cam
February 2nd, 2017, 06:27 AM
:lol: Oddly enough though, the main character is American. A little nod goes out to my home town of Halifax. HIGH-LAND-ERS! :D

21Kid
February 2nd, 2017, 11:28 AM
Started watching Travellers on Netflix.

Time travellers come back from the future to thwart disasters that would have ended civilization. (Still waiting for them IRL. ;)) Decent 1st few episodes... will watch more.

Leon
February 2nd, 2017, 08:59 PM
The Expanse, Season 2.

Awesome.

But Bobbie Draper is horribly jarring for me to listen to, as she has a godawful NZ accent. I get a full body cringe when she speaks.

speedpimp
February 3rd, 2017, 02:15 PM
Accent hit too close to home?

Leon
February 3rd, 2017, 02:46 PM
It's not a good Kiwi accent let's put it that way. There's a few variations, but that one makes my eyes water.

neanderthal
February 5th, 2017, 08:43 PM
Bosch.
On Amazon Prime.

great stuff.

Leon
February 5th, 2017, 09:52 PM
Santa Clarita Diet. Drew Barrymore as a suburban zombie.

Quite amusing :)

MR2 Fan
February 6th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Been watching MotorWeek (including their retro reviews) on Youtube. For those who aren't familiar with it, it's a relatively low-budget TV show that's been around since the early 1980's.

What's interesting is how they've kept the same host and nearly the same exact format for that long. It's not the most exciting show, with a very run-of-the-mill, almost Consumer Reports type of blandness in the script, yet it's still charming somehow.

I like how they almost always show 0-60, 1/4 mile, slalom and braking tests of whatever they're testing as well.

21Kid
February 6th, 2017, 12:56 PM
I should probably watch Idiocracy again...

balki
February 6th, 2017, 01:26 PM
motorweek (https://www.youtube.com/user/Motorweek/videos) :up:

Kurzgesagt from G'day from some other thread (https://www.youtube.com/user/Kurzgesagt/videos). science-y stuff, need more science-y stuff

speedpimp
February 6th, 2017, 02:45 PM
I watched Motorweek almost religiously when I was a teenager. Pat Goss is a little understated, but considering that it is a PBS show, he seems to be inline with every other PBS/NPR host. He does come across a lot more energetic than Jim Scouten did on Motor Trend TV/Car & Driver TV in the late '90s.

speedpimp
February 6th, 2017, 02:46 PM
Started Santa Clarita Diet Saturday night and finished it last night. I like it.

As for Bosch, season three is hopefully out sometime later this year.

George
February 6th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Another MotorWeek fan from days gone by here. I didn't seek it out as much as I stumbled upon it on PBS TV on the weekends quite often.

"And now we'll put the new-for-1987 Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan with the optional woodgrain siding through its paces on the slalom course..."

speedpimp
February 6th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Saturday afternoons around here right between This Old House and The Old Yankee Workshop.

novicius
February 6th, 2017, 03:53 PM
Got sucked into watching season one of Plane Resurrection on Netflix. :up:

But when I googled the show I came across this sad article. (https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1897133/light-aircraft-crashes-in-flames-with-two-aboard/amp/):(

dodint
February 7th, 2017, 06:34 PM
Big MotorWeek retro review fan here too. Neat to see the cars in their time, not judged against the iterations that followed.

Leon
February 7th, 2017, 06:39 PM
Started Santa Clarita Diet Saturday night and finished it last night. I like it.

Binge watched it :) Really enjoyed it!

JoshInKC
February 7th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Yeah, that was a fun show. Tim Olyphant is damn funny.

speedpimp
February 8th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Yeah, that was a fun show. Tim Olyphant is damn funny.

He was really good in The League in an episode where he played a sushi chef.

Alan P
February 8th, 2017, 03:25 PM
First episode of APB. Has potential.

Expanse Season two double episode. FANTASTIC!

drew
February 8th, 2017, 05:07 PM
Missed season 1, can't watch it anywhere, because season 2 is "new".

Christ.

Freude am Fahren
February 8th, 2017, 05:56 PM
No Amazon Prime?

Just about to start the first episode of season 2 tonight.

Yw-slayer
February 8th, 2017, 06:04 PM
Waiting for time to watch Man In The High Castle, Expanse, and Westworld (in that order). Definitely spoilt for choice here.

Leon
February 8th, 2017, 11:21 PM
New episode of The Expanse tonight.

I'm enjoying how much of dialog from the books into the TV series, even if they're compressing the plot heaps (which is okay, because it is after all, adapted for TV).

tigeraid
February 9th, 2017, 05:46 AM
Indeed. But I'm also just starting out on Babylon's Ashes now. It's kinda jarring, seeing the crew just sorta starting to get friendly on-screen, vs. reading them as a happy family joking back and forth. Falling back into the book universe is like a warm blanket. Like Kirk/Spock/McCoy all over again. Love the writing.

(I'm still picturing Bobby in my mind as a gigantic red-headed white woman. I think I might be racist.)

Leon
February 9th, 2017, 09:23 AM
I rated the Bobbie performance as
10/10 for being brown
2/10 for acting ability.

I would like to, on behalf of NZ, apologise for her absolutely ghastly acting.

novicius
February 9th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Fox Have Double-Dared Joss Whedon To Make The 'Firefly' Reboot Happen— But Will He Accept? (https://moviepilot.com/p/fox-announcement-firefly-reboot/4205317)

In what could be either the most exciting or cruelest tease ever, Fox's President of Entertainment David Madden has announced that the network is totally on board with a Firefly reboot. The news came during a panel at the Television Critics Association, with Rotten Tomatoes reporting Madden's willingness to reboot the cult series.
Fingers crossed. :cool:

21Kid
February 9th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Didn't he say something to the effect of Over My Dead Body?
/spoilers - Wasn't that why he killed most of the crew in the movie?

Kchrpm
February 9th, 2017, 01:23 PM
I think all of the people attached would like to leave it where it ended at this point, and have said as much.

speedpimp
February 9th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Watched a few episodes of The Mick. It's basically Sweet Dee from It's Always Sunny...as a baby sitter.

G'day Mate
February 9th, 2017, 03:51 PM
Kurzgesagt from G'day from some other thread (https://www.youtube.com/user/Kurzgesagt/videos). science-y stuff, need more science-y stuff

:up:

As for me ...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ca/FALLING_SKIES_TITLE_CARD.PNG

It's ok. I like it :)

Phil_SS
February 9th, 2017, 05:09 PM
Since I can get HBO Prime through Amazon Prime Video I decided to give the 30 day trial a shot and it has helped me catch up with some of the shows I have missed by not having cable over the last 2.5 years.

Boardwalk Empire: Finally got to see the final season. You can tell they were given one final season to finish it off, by skipping ahead 7 years and trying to quickly tie up the story. Finished ok but you can tell they had a lot more to tell but didn't get a chance.

True Detective season 1: Damn was this good. The atmosphere was great and the acting was top notch. :up: I think I watched the whole season in a couple days. Just grabs a hold and doesn't let go.

True Detective season 2: Watched the 1st episode. Feels like the production dropped way off and I'm not really feeling the actors. Gonna give it a few more episodes.

In the Heart of the Sea: A movie about the story of the whale ship Essex that fostered the book Moby Dick. It was ok.

novicius
February 10th, 2017, 03:58 AM
I think all of the people attached would like to leave it where it ended at this point, and have said as much.

I ain't so afraid of losing something that I ain't gonna try to have it.
So what if it sucks? :lol: I say give it a shot, expand the Firefly universe, let them that want to/are able to come back return and backfill with new faces. #shrug

Agents of Shield has had four seasons of mediocre-to-decent storytelling and world-building under Joss' team. No big deal.

JoshInKC
February 10th, 2017, 04:16 AM
Watched the first ep of FX's LEGION last night. Seems really good so far, and the fact that Noah Hawley (the guy who does FARGO) is running the show is promising. Also, it was really neat to see (my acquaintance) Bill Sienkiewicz (http://billsienkiewiczart.com/) credited on tv. I really hope they do something to give David his comic-book hair, though.

MR2 Fan
February 10th, 2017, 11:41 AM
Coen bros. doing a Scarface remake for 2018, starring Diego Luna as Tony Montana.

I can understand people upset that there is a remake coming, except for the fact that the 1983 film was also a remake.

speedpimp
February 10th, 2017, 12:41 PM
At least with the Coens handling it you know it will be done right.

Freude am Fahren
February 10th, 2017, 02:20 PM
I think people just get upset that everything from Hollywood is a remake/reboot/sequel/adaptation.

Alan P
February 10th, 2017, 06:11 PM
Watched the first ep of FX's LEGION last night. Seems really good so far, and the fact that Noah Hawley (the guy who does FARGO) is running the show is promising. Also, it was really neat to see (my acquaintance) Bill Sienkiewicz (http://billsienkiewiczart.com/) credited on tv. I really hope they do something to give David his comic-book hair, though.

I actually found it very weird and it really didn't grab me.

Fiat500
February 11th, 2017, 12:10 PM

I've been a fan of Bill's since... I don't know, the early eighties probably, when Norwegian translations of Moon Knight began appearing here.
I've followed him on Facebook and Instagram, and had a bit of a fangasm when he actually sent me a friend request some time before christmas.

There's been some gushing about Legion on Facebook, and I watched it earlier today, not really expecting much because I'm a snob about these things, but I was pleasantly surprised I'm glad to say.
I really liked the style of the show, it reminded me of something like Pushing Daisies by way of David Lynch, with the use of colours, camera angles and lenses.
It gave a very solid impression all in all, and I'm looking forward to further episodes.

JoshInKC
February 11th, 2017, 01:07 PM
Yeah, that early Moon Knight was where I got onboard a few years after it came out. My first comic books were a filebox left behind by an older neighbor when he went to college, and that box contained a good portion of Bill's run on that and New Mutants.
He happened to be in the next booth over from my wife and her friend at a local comic book convention a few years ago. I showed up to bring them lunch on the second day and lost my s#it when "The nice guy named Bill" at the next table turned out to be a living legend and my favorite comics artist of all time. It turned out that he was to be the recipient of the extra burger and fries I'd brought. We started talking and I ended up hanging out for the rest of the day and the next day as well. We've been friendly ever since and hang out a bit when he's in town.

Dicknose
February 12th, 2017, 01:09 AM
Watching "Hoges" the tv show about Paul Hogan.
Damn he is a funny bastard and such an Aussie icon.
Grew up with his tv specials, then the Croc Dundee movies made him even bigger.

Dicknose
February 12th, 2017, 01:17 AM
Dupe!

Fiat500
February 12th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Yeah, that early Moon Knight was where I got onboard a few years after it came out. My first comic books were a filebox left behind by an older neighbor when he went to college, and that box contained a good portion of Bill's run on that and New Mutants.
He happened to be in the next booth over from my wife and her friend at a local comic book convention a few years ago. I showed up to bring them lunch on the second day and lost my s#it when "The nice guy named Bill" at the next table turned out to be a living legend and my favorite comics artist of all time. It turned out that he was to be the recipient of the extra burger and fries I'd brought. We started talking and I ended up hanging out for the rest of the day and the next day as well. We've been friendly ever since and hang out a bit when he's in town.

Ah, not envious at all! :-)

I've actually managed to miss most of his New Mutants work. I tried subscribing way back when (not necessarily an easy thing to do from abroad), but Bret Blevins was the art guy by the time the issues began arriving.
I'll have to order the tpbs one of these days.

Is your wife a famous comic book person too?

Returning to the thread, I finished watching The OA earlier today. It mostly had me hooked throughout, but seemed to lose some substance and drive in the last couple of episodes.
I'll have to ponder it a little before I arrive at a final verdict.
I'm sure I'll be there for the second season though, from what I understand it is in the pipeline.

drew
February 12th, 2017, 12:01 PM
We went and saw the John Wick sequel last night. It is what it is. We laugh at the euphemisms (like in the first one), and I laugh at the fact he shoots everybody in the fucking face.

JoshInKC
February 12th, 2017, 06:46 PM
His New Mutants run is great - the Demon Bear saga and his art for Warlock are wonderful expansions of the medium. My wife wrote a novel with her best friend who is in a comedy group that performs at cons, so they were selling that.

Back on topic - I watched the Australian series Rake over the past week. It was fun - Imagine Dr. House as an Aussie Lawyer. It's very much in the white male antihero protagonist genre, but the charm of the lead actor sells it. First 2 seasons are on netflix.
Also, the great and hilarious Crazy Ex-Girlfriend has its second season up on netflix which I've already seen but cannot recommend strongly enough.

novicius
February 13th, 2017, 05:18 AM
Yeah... I'm gonna have to go ahead and... disagree with you there -- my wife has been watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (which means that I have been watching, too). Let me just say I am not impressed. :lol: :down:

If you're drawn to that fare however, please let me recommend Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 instead. Far superior. ;)

::

I caught the LEGO Batman movie yesterday. Highly entertaining mashup and yet... kind of mean spirited. :lol: Like a movie making fun of the properties involved.

JoshInKC
February 13th, 2017, 05:54 AM
Yeah, Don't Trust the B was great, though hampered by a rough title - much like crazy ex girlfriend

Leon
February 13th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Don't trust the b**** was a brilliant series, so sad that it died.

Crazy Ex Girlfriend I liked the first series, but the second series isn't doing much for me. Lead female character is just getting too unsympathetic.

Cam
February 17th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Saw Hidden Figures last night. It was alright. Rent it when it becomes available. There were a few scenes that seemed forced or contrived, but it was overall enjoyable.

Freude am Fahren
February 28th, 2017, 08:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnAD0TApb8&ab_channel=20thCenturyFox

Blerpa
February 28th, 2017, 10:34 PM
Black Mirror: quite a disappointing show. It's like TV get around to what has been in 40-60 years of literature and comics, in a fake intellectual way. First season I really liked only the first episode, Second season 2 out of 3 (which is actually unexpected). Christmas special was almost ok; almost. Then first episode of season 3... blah.

It's the same luddite antitecnological crap as usual. Dystopic copy-and-paste futures with gimmicks and over pastel colours. Waste of time, really.

Dr. Strange: was ok I guess, but a bit small scope feel, even if the subject was about dimensions, time, space and whatever. Felt like a secondary low budget movie with decent photography and good effects. Like all Marvel movies... it's a long expanded tv series episode, really.

Sing Street: sweet, nostalgic vibes of the 80s. Romantic and funny at times. Not to rival with Once from the same director.

dodint
March 1st, 2017, 05:08 AM
I loved Black Mirror when it started but the returns have been diminishing. S2 wasn't as good as S1, and I've heard nothing good about S3.

novicius
March 1st, 2017, 05:29 AM
Really? I feel that Season 3 of Black Mirror the strongest season to date (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/black_mirror/s03/). Very tight, with only the second ep being weak (IMO). :up:

"San Junipero" especially has been singled out for acclaim.

George
March 1st, 2017, 07:03 AM
Viewers of the web series Star Trek Continues may be interested in the latest news of upcoming episodes: http://startrekcontinues.com/blog.html

The next episode will be available on or soon after April 1, 2017 at the website.

speedpimp
March 1st, 2017, 09:15 AM
Starting up season three of Boardwalk Empire. Great show.

Leon
March 1st, 2017, 09:18 AM
Apparently what I'm not watching, is series 2 of Incorporated, since it has been cancelled.

Damn it!

dodint
March 2nd, 2017, 08:17 AM
Starting up season three of Boardwalk Empire. Great show.

Nice. A slow but satisfying burn. Stick with it.

speedpimp
March 2nd, 2017, 12:46 PM
I definitely am. I really like William Forsythe's character in season two, I had no idea he was that good of an actor.

Watching it on Amazon Video even though I have the first three seasons on DVD. Tried watching them on my xBone and was disappointed by the picture quality. Looks like I'll be getting rid of some discs.

Kchrpm
March 2nd, 2017, 05:59 PM
I think that Logan is a great movie, the best of the X-Men series and one of the best of the genre.

dodint
March 2nd, 2017, 06:50 PM
Much like being the prettiest girl in Indiana.

balki
March 3rd, 2017, 06:10 AM
I recall X2 and the first class being pretty good.

Keith, really?
Haven't seen it, but thought Origins was good (entertaining), and the sequel took a dive but was watchable.
The trailers for Logan look terrible; he appears to be mostly calm.

novicius
March 3rd, 2017, 07:31 AM
I'm very much looking forward to Logan but I ain't got time for that shizz... :|

Kchrpm
March 3rd, 2017, 08:18 AM
The trailers for Logan look terrible; he appears to be mostly calm.
Yeah, no...I mean...no spoilers, but don't worry about him being too calm :)

balki
March 3rd, 2017, 09:17 AM
Just read some reviews; apparently it's the most violent one yit. Also got a ton of good ratings.
How much of the movie does he spend with his shirt off? Not enough, or plenty but still not enough?

21Kid
March 3rd, 2017, 09:49 AM
I think that Logan is a great movie, the best of the X-Men series and one of the best of the genre.

Nice! :D I'm looking forward to it!!!

Kchrpm
March 3rd, 2017, 11:19 AM
How much of the movie does he spend with his shirt off? Not enough, or plenty but still not enough?
Not enough.

balki
March 3rd, 2017, 12:09 PM
thought so, not paying $14 to see Hugh Jackman in a wifebeater, will wait for the DVD

speedpimp
March 3rd, 2017, 01:08 PM
That's why you hit up a matinee(or a manatee) for $7 or less. That way if the movie sucks the disappointment is a lot easier to shoulder.

I caught Collide last Sunday and it was pretty decent.

sandydandy
March 3rd, 2017, 02:30 PM
I watched Supersize Me again after a few years. It's still funny, scary, and outrageous.

What caught my attention was Jared Fogle's scene in the film. Who would've ever thought that such an inspiring figure would end up where he is today. He talked about how drinking, smoking, and drugs were never his thing. Only food. But of course we now know that children were his thing too. What a fuckup.

MR2 Fan
March 3rd, 2017, 02:39 PM
double u tee eff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZNfwayNLL0

this could be awesome...and yes it's extremely BATTLE ROYALE esque

MR2 Fan
March 3rd, 2017, 09:25 PM
One of my co-workers was talking about movies he's seen recently and was talking about body count...I can't remember which movie he was referring to, but then I asked what is his favorite action movie. I also forgot what he said, because he didn't say HARD BOILED.

I then asked if he's ever seen the movie HARD BOILED and he didn't. Now this is a street tough guy who loves his action films, so I was really surprised.

I told him he needs to watch it. Found out it isn't on Amazon Prime video, or to download, it isn't on Netflix. I DID find it on Youtube...and the quality is...just about the same as most of the releases.

Unfortunately there has never been a great remaster of the film, but it's still the best action movie I've ever seen.

novicius
March 4th, 2017, 02:50 AM
Hard Boiled was decent but seriously topped by A Better Tomorrow 2. :cool: #woo

G'day Mate
March 4th, 2017, 03:03 AM
That's funny, I thought Black Mirror was improving

(whoops, half a page behind with my comment. Still stands though)

Blerpa
March 4th, 2017, 10:53 AM
That's funny, I thought Black Mirror was improving

(whoops, half a page behind with my comment. Still stands though)

I dunno, I watched first 3 episodes of the third season: I found them terrible. Only 3 episodes to go. Right now I'm at 3.5 decent episodes out of all 10 I've seen.
It's just that if you have read literature (Borges, Vonnegut, Dick, etc.), comics, manga, seen anime and weird movies... well, BM really feels like old hat and washed up luddite dystopian future tripe. :/
I'm really disappointed and sad, really looked forward to this series to blow me away... :(

speedpimp
March 5th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Went and saw Logan. Great way to end the series.

Cam
March 5th, 2017, 02:50 PM
Yeah, Logan. Wow. Damn. Great flick.

MR2 Fan
March 5th, 2017, 09:10 PM
Watched GANTZ:0 on Netflix, a CG anime monster/gore fest that starts in Tokyo but mostly Osaka. It was ok. CG was good, some very gory moments, and one strange one where the main boss they have to fight, turns into a giant woman, comprised of thousands of other naked woman bodies (because, Japan).

Also, all of the city scenery is VERY close to what's really there and since I've been to both cities it was cool/strange for all of it to play out there.

G'day Mate
March 6th, 2017, 03:16 AM
Watching The Adventures of Baron Munchausen apparently. It's pretty entertaining.

novicius
March 6th, 2017, 07:11 AM
Went and saw Logan. Great way to end the series.
Saw it. Loved Logan's character, his weaknesses and flaws... and that's about it.

Disappointed. :|

Where my disappointment lay:
= Charles Xavier's life and survival seemed completely extraneous. He wasn't the Ring of Power, he wasn't clinging to life to do a last heroic thing, he wasn't even a McGuffin for the bad guys. Nothing but a way to introduce Clone Logan.

= Fridging (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Refrigerators#History) the Munson family. The absolute laziest thing the writers could have done (and did) was to kill this family in an attempt to either show how ruthless the bad guys are (we already know they're super-ruthless) or to add fuel to Logan's rage (Charles' death would be/was waaay more impactful). This was a scene that I would have liked to see Logan be successfully heroic. There was no need to wait until the last few frames of the movie for that, let us see the Last X-Man be the much-cherished reluctant anti-hero FFS. :smh:

= Too much killing. Waaay more "anti-" than "hero" in this "superhero" flick. Again, beheading and skull-fucking baddies is easy, it's not heroic and let me clarify that I know Wolverine has a crazy-high body count in the comics. I'd rather see Old Man Logan stick to wounding and immobilizing foes because in the end he's no longer an assassin (thank you Professor X), he's a Big Damn Hero -- and the scene where he goes through the hotel pithing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pithing) foes? C'mon, that's horrible and straight-up murder. No honor and no better than the Punisher. :smh:

= Clone Logan. Cheesy and boring. :rolleyes: Logan is already losing/lost his mutant Healing ability, it would be more impressive to see him get his ass kicked by enemy human beings for once (adamantium bones notwithstanding). Instead, probably as a nod to the Monster Energy Drink segment of the audience, we got the Terminator. Hell, does that mean that he's really X-23's father? Just unnecessary narratively and baldly introduces the problem of How Do You Kill Wolverine?? If Peak Wolverine is that easy to kill then why didn't someone kill Logan back in the '40s/'50s/'60s? They got my money and for a few dollars more I'll see it again. Still disappointed. #sigh

Kchrpm
March 6th, 2017, 07:56 AM
My thoughts on your thoughts, for whatever they're worth (I have never read an X-Men comic/graphic novel).

Charles was alive to keep Logan alive. If Charles was dead, there's no reason Logan wouldn't have already used the bullet. And Logan wanted Charles alive, even in the state he was in, because Charles is basically his dad.

I was very nervous, and not surprised, that they got killed. To me the reason was less establishing how terrible the bad guys were, and more reinforcing that Charles had lost it. He should have known he was putting that family in danger and put that above everything. But he didn't. He just wanted to live out his grandpa fantasy. That was more important to him than the safety of everyone around him.

Never read the comics so I don't know how much of a killer Logan/Old Man Logan should or shouldn't be, but if you're coming after his crippled "Dad" then he's going to be pissed. Didn't he completely fuck up the people X2 when they were attacking the kids as well, it just wasn't shown as graphically?

I thought the imagery of over-coming his old ways, his old self, with the help of his new family, was important RE: clone Logan. We did see him getting beat up by regular people, at the very beginning, until his anger/rage/adrenaline took over. If regular ass enemy humans can take him down, then X23 would have had zero problem with those same humans. *No one* can handle peak Wolverine alone. And X23 (aka Laura aka X23-44 or whatever her number actually was, all the kids were X23-something) existed before X24 did, so no, X24 isn't X23's father.

novicius
March 6th, 2017, 10:10 AM
My thoughts on your thoughts, for whatever they're worth (I have never read an X-Men comic/graphic novel).
As we discussed in chat, my stances on your thoughts:

= What matters about Charles' life & memory is that Logan loves & honors him, else why wipe his ass for him? Ergo, if Logan loves & honors him, he wouldn't kill. Wolverine shouldn't be Weapon X.

= Killing the family to show that Professor X has "lost it" is certainly one possibility. It doesn't change my opinion in that I wanted to see Logan be heroic (and save the family).

= Yes, cinematic Wolverine has killed in earlier movies. Professor X has always preached using their gifts for the benefit of all. The Oppressed being better than their Oppressors. It doesn't change my opinion in that I wanted to see Logan be heroic.

= Logan's actions and victories become more meaningful if he's so weak that normal humans can beat him. Cinematic canon now proves that Peak Wolverine can be killed by a single adamantium bullet fired by an inexperienced gun handler which devalues (narratively) the strength he brings to the party against even low-level human opposition.

dodint
March 6th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Nerds.

novicius
March 6th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Funny. (https://faculty.unlv.edu/jmstitt/Eng477/papers1/code.html)

21Kid
March 6th, 2017, 01:09 PM
Hard boiled was on Netflix at one point. That's where I saw it. Did you try searching there?

I didn't see Logan opening weekend. Might catch it next weekend. Hopefully sooner.

speedpimp
March 6th, 2017, 01:29 PM
Hard Boiled isn't on Netflix BUT The Killer is.

MR2 Fan
March 6th, 2017, 02:32 PM
even if it was on Netflix, the quality will probably be similar. I just wish there were fully remastered versions. The ones on blu-ray that are CLAIMED to be higher quality, from what I've read, aren't.

TheBenior
March 6th, 2017, 05:56 PM
even if it was on Netflix, the quality will probably be similar. I just wish there were fully remastered versions. The ones on blu-ray that are CLAIMED to be higher quality, from what I've read, aren't.

Blu-Ray discs of pre-HD release era movies that are just upscaled versions of DVD transfers piss me the fuck off. If it's not a new transfer, I can just have my Blu-Ray player upscale a cheaper DVD.

Cam
March 6th, 2017, 07:22 PM
Started to watch Into The Badlands, but shut it off after about 30 minutes. I thought it seemed kind of hokey. I might go back to it, I dunno.

Leon
March 6th, 2017, 10:15 PM
First episode of the newly re-revamped Top Gear, now with less shouty ginger tosser.

Pretty good actually.

speedpimp
March 11th, 2017, 04:09 PM
The Detour.

Cam
March 12th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Went back to Into The Badlands. I will probably watch more. If you like cheesy Chinese martial arts action flicks, you will probably enjoy this show.

Lori has been watching The Crown recently. She was on episode six when I sat down with her to watch. Great acting. I'm interested.

Freude am Fahren
March 12th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Been catching up on the current season of Homeland. Pretty good, I think so far.

drew
March 12th, 2017, 02:09 PM
I've got (or had, rather) Hard Boiled on VHS.

Leon
March 12th, 2017, 08:50 PM
Just gave away Hard Boiled on DVD.

MR2 Fan
March 12th, 2017, 09:23 PM
lol

anyway, friend wanted to go see Skull Island tonight. It was decent, not incredible. The early parts had some interesting cinematograpy, very much trying to feel like a vietnam war movie mixed in with a monster movie.

I also thought Tom Hiddleston did well and I still can see him playing a decent James Bond.

I'm ready for the Kong vs. Godzilla which is planned in a few years

balki
March 13th, 2017, 04:08 AM
Heard about that. Isn't Kong like 1/10th the height (1/1000th the volume/weight)?
"the American film Godzilla (2014) from Legendary Pictures, Godzilla was scaled to be 108.2 m (355 ft)" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla#Size)

novicius
March 13th, 2017, 05:36 AM
Heh cool. :up: Time we CGI'd up some more giant monster fights. #pacificrim

Re-watching Daredevil seasons 1 & 2. So good. :cool: :up:

21Kid
March 13th, 2017, 06:02 AM
#PacificRim2

MR2 Fan
March 13th, 2017, 06:53 AM
Heard about that. Isn't Kong like 1/10th the height (1/1000th the volume/weight)?
"the American film Godzilla (2014) from Legendary Pictures, Godzilla was scaled to be 108.2 m (355 ft)" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla#Size)

I think they made Kong bigger in this film

Edit: I believe they also said in the film that he wasn't grown up fully yet

Leon
March 13th, 2017, 10:14 AM
Top Gear episode 2 of the new season.

Technically nice. However all stupidly expensive cars all the time. Yawn.

Last week's episode was a lot better.

Also, Joey got fat ...

speedpimp
March 13th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Watching the first ep. of TG now. A lot better without the ginger shit badger.

Freude am Fahren
March 13th, 2017, 05:19 PM
Same here. But why is James McAvoy sitting there watching the films? lol

speedpimp
March 13th, 2017, 05:36 PM
Because he forgot that he's not really confined to a wheel chair?

JoshInKC
March 19th, 2017, 05:34 PM
Iron Fist on netflix. Just finished the 12th ep.
meh. Pretty disappointing - the fight scenes are worse than daredevil by a big margin, which should be the thing that this show does better than any of the other netflix shows. Seriously, Iron Fist is maybe the top hand-to-hand fighter in the marvel universe, but the lead guy and the fight teams seem like put about a 1/2 hour into each setup at most. Also, the plot is confused and disjointed enough for the 1st half of the show that I'm guessing a lot of people will quit watching before it gets half decent in the back 1/2. The series MVP is definitely David Wenham (Faramir) - dude seems like he's on a completely different (and better) show. Collen Wing was also pretty good.
Finn Jones had better have some flat out amazing chemistry with Luke Cage, or this will be a total write-off.

Disappointing lack of Dog Brother #1 and Fat Cobra.

Ugh, does the Hand need to be involved with everything? And now Madame Gao is Hand? She's another MVP, "Did you really think your truth serum would effect me? I spent most of the 17th century being interrogated."
Also, how do you do an Iron Fist show without showing at least a flash of him defeating the goddamn dragon.

novicius
March 19th, 2017, 06:55 PM
Yep-yep utterly disappointing. :down: :down:

Watched it once, don't have to watch it again. Here's hoping that this idiot showrunner NEVER touches anything Defender-related ever again. :smh:

dodint
March 19th, 2017, 06:56 PM
Yinz aren't the first peeps I've seen pissed at Iron Fist.

Cam
March 19th, 2017, 07:43 PM
I just finished episode 7 and I have been entertained. Admittedly, I find the Meecham family way more compelling than the Rands. Danny's character seems simple and shallow... and yeah, the fight scenes should be better.

novicius
March 20th, 2017, 04:31 AM
I'm actually not super-upset at Finn Jones. It's a *tall* order for an actor to take on imitating someone with world-level acrobatic & kung-fu skills. He's legit tall too, which actually makes looking graceful even more difficult. Just keep practicing with his coaches, keep pumping iron, just push on through the critics and focus on the next challenge.

I'm hoping for a big sophomore jump out of Finn... but since The Defenders has already wrapped filming (yesterday!), these bad reviews probably didn't get to Finn in time. :lol:

But the showrunner Scott Buck? Tone-deaf and boring. :smh: :down:

EDIT: Mmm sweet -- filming for the second season of Jessica Jones has started/is starting now. :up: :up:

MR2 Fan
March 20th, 2017, 06:44 AM
I watched "Arrival"...the alien movie starring Amy Adams, not "The Arrival" alien movie starring Charlie Sheen.

I didn't like it as much as most of the reviewers I've seen. It's pace is very slow, some plot points start out, then get completely forgotten 5 minutes later. The pacing felt odd and didn't really have a regular flow to it. Some of the major points were never followed up on, and it fell flat to me for this reason.

I give it 2.5 out of 5 stars

Phil_SS
March 20th, 2017, 06:59 AM
I finished up Seasons 5 and 6 of Game of Thrones. :up:

I'll now post my thoughts in the appropriate thread.

speedpimp
March 20th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Getting into Feud: Bette and Joan. It chronicles the feud between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford during the production of "Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?" Really excellent show.

novicius
March 20th, 2017, 03:53 PM
Jessica Lange: :up:

Susan Sarandon: :down:

speedpimp
March 20th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Lange has been on fire with everything she's done that is connected to Ryan Murphy(Feud and AHS). I like Sarandon as Bette.

Kchrpm
March 22nd, 2017, 07:52 AM
MR2 Fan -
You're wrong :|

novicius
March 22nd, 2017, 08:05 AM
Best review I've seen of Iron Fist (http://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-the-important-stuff-that-happens-in-iron-fist-so-1793445273) (spoilers in the link):

Netflix and Marvel’s Iron Fist is not good TV. It is bad and boring TV with terrible fight scenes and a lead actor who comes from the “petulant grimace” school of acting. The only reason to watch Iron Fist is so you can be prepared for The Defenders, the epic series that will cross Iron Fist over with the casts of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage. Instead, let us save you some time.
:lol:

novicius
March 22nd, 2017, 08:17 AM
I just finished episode 7 and I have been entertained. Admittedly, I find the Meecham family way more compelling than the Rands. Danny's character seems simple and shallow... and yeah, the fight scenes should be better.
Came across this comment on i09 and thought of you, Cam. ;)

You know who is given something to work with? The Meachums. Clearly someone else realized the best parts of Smallville were the moments with Lionel Luthor dragging Lex into hell with him and Lex’s vain attempts to fight his destiny. Tom Pelphrey as Wade Meachum displays an entire host of human emotions dealing with his psychotic father’s hold over him. But one thing he never wavers on is his love of his sister, Joy. Like Gao, Harold Meachum is also wonderfully and unrepentantly evil (his last words to his son when he thinks he’s going to die are hysterically cruel). Both actors should find all the work in the world after this.

But again, the show isn’t called “The Meachums” it’s Iron Fist and he is basically the least interesting character on it.

Cam
March 22nd, 2017, 09:46 AM
Perfect. :lol:

speedpimp
March 22nd, 2017, 03:42 PM
The latest season of Homeland is really good. Pretty fitting that the "villain of the year" bares more than a passing resemblance to Steve Bannon.

sandydandy
March 23rd, 2017, 09:05 AM
The latest season of Homeland is really good. Pretty fitting that the "villain of the year" bares more than a passing resemblance to Steve Bannon. I'll wait until the season ends then binge watch it.

I saw Drive last night. Didn't enjoy it. Highly overrated film, imo.

Cam
March 23rd, 2017, 09:06 AM
Huh. I quite enjoyed it. *shrug*

speedpimp
March 23rd, 2017, 11:20 AM
I enjoyed it as well, especially Kingsley's gnawing of the scenery.

Freude am Fahren
March 27th, 2017, 04:08 PM
Just watched the 3rd episode of Top Gear's current season. A bit weak, but I stand by my thoughts of the current format being enjoyable. I like all three hosts on their own for the most part, and hope they develop a great relationship with each other to add to the show. Too much wasted time with the guest I think. I liked the Fiat film though. I'm not a fan of the DB11, so that may be part of it.

Next week (for US) is the Chiron and (talk about burying the lede!) the 1299 Superleggera.

I, for the first time am watching extra gear, and being a AV nerd, I love the bit on filming the Aston.

novicius
March 28th, 2017, 04:32 AM
I was in a mood so I watched the LotR trilogy on Blu-ray the last three evenings.

Wife walks in, sees me on the couch and asks "What's up?"

I say "Not much, just watching Harry Potter."

:finger:

MR2 Fan
March 31st, 2017, 12:33 PM
Since I don't have cable, I watch a lot of youtube videos.

I just watched some reviews of old movies based on video games, and it brought me to a question.

WHICH movie is worse?

Super Mario Bros.
Mortal Kombat Annihilation

Both scrape the bottom of the barrel and could be candidates for the worst movie of all time...but is there a "winner" of the worst between these two?

dodint
March 31st, 2017, 12:38 PM
SMB is funny bad, though. So probably the other one as it doesn't seem to have any redemptive value.

MR2 Fan
March 31st, 2017, 12:53 PM
SMB is funny bad, though. So probably the other one as it doesn't seem to have any redemptive value.

SMB had good actors in bad roles...MK's had NO good actors except the guy who played Liu Kang as most abandoned ship after the first one (which I liked)

neanderthal
March 31st, 2017, 10:09 PM
Watching "The Tunnel" on Amazon Prime and there's a climactic scene in Episode 9 where the protagonist's wife has been lured into a trap and is standing on a pressure switch which will detonate if she steps off. She's wearing a sandal thing with a heels on her feet.

As the scene plays out all I can think off is "take her foot out of the sandal while maintaining pressure on it. It has a stiff sole, two hands, even pressure..." but of course that's not how it plays out.

Freude am Fahren
April 2nd, 2017, 12:43 PM
Finally got around to watching a couple more episodes of Black Mirror, including San Junipero, which I see everyone as being the best episode. It was good, but I picked up on the "twist" about 2 minutes in and the ending was completely ruined by an anachronism involving a car:

They're supposed to be in '87, but drive a Miata, not introduced anywhere until '89. I suppose they could have been in another time, but it sure looked like the '87 setting. Speaking of which, I wonder if "locals" get to move around era's or if they ahve to choose one and stay there. Considering they can "leave" anytime they want, why not, right? Also kind of annoyed that the nerdy guy didn't actually play into the plot like it kinda seemed he would.

speedpimp
April 2nd, 2017, 02:13 PM
Season eleven of Trailer Park Boys on Netflix.

MR2 Fan
April 2nd, 2017, 05:45 PM
I watched Ghost in the Shell....I never saw the original, but this one was quite good IMO. The scenery and effects are very well done (WETA).

Also, regarding the controversy about having a "white" actress play the main role, it seems there are very few Japanese actresses in Hollywood to begin with? Many of the Japanese roles in movies for women seem to be played by Chinese or Korean actresses usually.

dodint
April 2nd, 2017, 08:33 PM
People upset about a particular race of person playing a non-human character deserve the anguish they're putting themselves through.

Alan P
April 3rd, 2017, 08:42 AM
I watched Ghost in the Shell....I never saw the original, but this one was quite good IMO. The scenery and effects are very well done (WETA).

Also, regarding the controversy about having a "white" actress play the main role, it seems there are very few Japanese actresses in Hollywood to begin with? Many of the Japanese roles in movies for women seem to be played by Chinese or Korean actresses usually.

I also get the feeling that without her 'pull' it likely wouldn't have been made at all.

novicius
April 3rd, 2017, 11:02 AM
Watched Hap & Leonard (Netflix, six eps) over the weekend. Half-:up:? Semi-hard? Not sure where I stand with this one, actually.

I like the concept (P.I. origin story set in East Texas in the '80s). Kind of pulp-y? The show is a touch difficult to describe: never full-on noir, not near clever enough for a Tarantino homage/rip-off. Definitely gritty, definitely dark, certainly free-spirited in a "Keep Austin Weird" kinda way.

George might get something out of this after all that Longmire he's consumed but this surely ain't no "Longmire". :lol:

speedpimp
April 3rd, 2017, 12:30 PM
Hap & Leonard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hap_and_Leonard) are based on a series of books that predate QT by a few years. Season two started a few weeks ago. Its definitely a show you need to pay attention to. The Amazon girl friend of the main villain is also the leader of the Scavengers(aka Baby Talk Vulcan Haircut) on this season of The Walking Dead.

JoshInKC
April 3rd, 2017, 05:24 PM
Wow, I had no idea they made a Hap & Leonard series. I should check it out, I don't think I've read any of those since the 90's and I remember liking them.

speedpimp
April 3rd, 2017, 05:28 PM
Season 2 airs on Sundance TV.

novicius
April 4th, 2017, 04:29 AM
‘Iron Fist’ Is Netflix’s Most Binge-Watched Premiere of 2017 (https://heatst.com/entertainment/iron-fist-is-netflixs-most-binge-watched-premiere-of-2017-despite-cries-of-whitewashing/)

According to analysis by 7Park Data (per Variety (http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/marvels-iron-fist-netflix-most-binged-1202020200/)), which measures streaming platforms, 54.7% of Iron Fist streams on March 17 were of episodes three or higher. It indicates that most viewers binge-watched the show on its premiere date.

Iron Fist accounted for 14.6% of all Netflix streams on its premiere, ahead of Stranger Things (4%), Luke Cage (12.8%) and season 2 of Daredevil (13.8%) during their premieres.

"The relationship between critic reviews and mass appeal has always been a complicated one,” said Christopher Coby, a senior analyst for 7Park Data.
:lol:

Here's hoping that Iron Fist Season 2 is appropriately improved. :up:

novicius
April 7th, 2017, 04:32 AM
Caught a showing of Crash and Burn (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6153126/)(2016) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6153126/), a documentary on Formula racing rising star Irishman Tommy Byrne (https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/dec/29/crash-and-burn-review-tommy-byrne) last night at a fast guys gathering. :up:

There’s a fascination and poignancy to this gripping sports documentary, about someone who deserves a kind of legendary status for the way he didn’t become a legend.

This is motor racing’s bad boy Tommy Byrne, who rose from humble beginnings in Dundalk in Ireland to be one of the hottest prospects of early 1980s Formula One, mentioned in the same breath as Ayrton Senna. An interviewee says he could have been the George Best or Alex Higgins of the racing world, but somehow Byrne only did the Best downfall without the preceding success.
Good watch. Really shows how talent alone is *barely* enough to succeed in racing, you'd best come from money -- and if you have no money, smile and keep your goddamn mouth shut! :lol:

Alan P
April 7th, 2017, 05:29 AM
Started watching Stranger Things, really liking the 80's Spielberg-esque vibe to the whole thing. Quite creepy in parts too.

sandydandy
April 7th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Stranger Things intro music is great. It's my ringtone.

dodint
April 8th, 2017, 09:45 PM
Crashing is good. I laugh a few times every episode.

lostnight
April 9th, 2017, 05:29 PM
I learned to play the Stranger Things theme on guitar, lol. Love that show. OA is supposed to be better according to one critic, I think not.

novicius
April 9th, 2017, 05:48 PM
That critic is eating his way through a box of Colorado's finest edibles. :lol:

speedpimp
April 10th, 2017, 05:28 AM
I think that my favorite character on Feud is Mamacita.

Phil_SS
April 10th, 2017, 11:23 AM
The People vs OJ Simpson: Really well done. I remember where I was when he was in the Bronco on the 405 and parts of the trial but this 10 part series was an eye opener as to all the events and how they unfolded. Very much recommended.

The Wraith: I had seen this a few times when I was a kid but I hadn't seen it in forever. Charlie Sheen in his first starring role, Sherilynn Fenn's boobs and Clint Howard is worth the watch alone. Still the awesome cheesy 80'sness that I remember. From the music to the cars to the cinematography.

novicius
April 10th, 2017, 11:51 AM
:cool: :up:

GreatScawt
April 10th, 2017, 12:09 PM
I saw Get Out on Saturday. Man that was ridiculous. I loved it. Absolutely not what I expected.

Kchrpm
April 11th, 2017, 06:27 AM
I need to see The Wraith again. So good.

balki
April 11th, 2017, 06:53 AM
Film historian and critic Leonard Maltin dismissed the film, as, "... for those who favor fast cars and lots of noise."

Does dismissed mean praised in Hollywood?

MR2 Fan
April 11th, 2017, 11:33 AM
I bought the Rogue One Blu-Ray as I really enjoyed the movie in theaters, still highly enjoyable, especially the final 1/3rd of the movie.

Sadly, for the extras, there was absolutely no mention of the re-writes or anything shown of the other footage (I know some of it is posted in other places)

sandydandy
April 11th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Film historian and critic Leonard Maltin dismissed the film, as, "... for those who favor fast cars and lots of noise."

Does dismissed mean praised in Hollywood? I dismissed this arrogant dickhead a long time ago.

speedpimp
April 11th, 2017, 04:55 PM
Pretty sure The Wraith would make a good double bill with Black Moon Rising.